Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Bassists countdown thread! (ON HOLD!!)  (Read 3780 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Top 25 Favorite Bassists countdown thread! (ON HOLD!!)
« on: June 10, 2023, 06:59:55 AM »
Alright, since we have done singers, guitarists and drummers, time to show bassists the proper respect and do them as well! 

I will count down the 25 bassists in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with the cumulative list and do the countdown from 25 to 1.

The rules:
-Bassists must be listed from 25 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three bassists at number 4 or anything like that.  DO NOT list your bassists with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).
-Any list submitted with the bassists not numbered will be ignored.
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of day, Saturday, July 1st.  I will then begin the countdown shortly thereafter.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever bassist is at number 1 gets 25 points, number 2 gets 24 points, number 3 gets 23 points, etc.
-List each guitarist by their stage name (first and last name or just one name if it's someone who goes by just one name like Flea; do not send acronyms or just first or last names assuming I will know who you mean).
-PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same bassist mentioned twice will be not be counted.

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great if you have too much difficulty making one on your own. You can input all of the bassists you want, and then you pick your favorite of every 1-on-1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://www.pubmeeple.com/ranking-engine
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:51:25 AM by KevShmev »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Favorite Bassists countdown thread! (lists due July 1st)
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 07:07:22 AM »
I'll start getting a list together today!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 07:12:06 AM »
Nice
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 07:42:50 AM »
List sent

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 08:14:19 AM »
Just started writing down names, 25 might be tough without just adding a bunch of the bigger band's bass players at the end, but I'll give it the old college try.

Top 5 is already firm though.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 08:36:15 AM »
Names popping up.... will try to send a list

Online HOF

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 08:47:35 AM »
Awesome! This will be fun.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 10:52:44 AM »
25 names will be very easy.  Putting them in a coherent order?  Yikes...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2023, 11:10:41 AM »
Kev, when we PM you, do you want a numbered list? I'm not sure based on your post.

Online HOF

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2023, 11:20:57 AM »
Kev, when we PM you, do you want a numbered list? I'm not sure based on your post.

“Bassists must be listed from 25 to 1 in order (in reverse order),”

I guess it’s not explicit, but I always number mine.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2023, 11:22:01 AM »
I was that kid in class who wanted to make sure I followed every detail correctly :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2023, 11:41:18 AM »
I can already foresee my reaction when I get Jamesman42's list...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2023, 11:46:34 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2023, 12:36:37 PM »
Made a quick list of 20 bassists at lunch today. Gonna have to look through my collection to see who I forgot.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2023, 12:40:53 PM »
This may be just as hard as the drummer list, trying to widdle it down to 25. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2023, 12:41:20 PM »
Made a quick list of 20 bassists at lunch today. Gonna have to look through my collection to see who I forgot.

Bread
Mayo
John Paul Jones
Peanut butter
Steve Harris
Milk
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2023, 12:45:20 PM »
Mayo and peanut butter do NOT go together!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2023, 12:53:19 PM »
Dammit! Thought it was gonna be keyboardists first and started that list.

Bassists should be easy enough!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2023, 12:58:47 PM »

It's a shopping list silly. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 01:05:57 PM »

It's a shopping list silly.

Oh OK. Well, I mentioned I was at lunch so I thought you were making me a sammich.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2023, 01:12:10 PM »
You're married all ready. Lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2023, 02:50:47 PM »
Wow...this came out of the blue.  Cool!

I assume I'll be on everyone's top 10.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 03:33:35 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Realm

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2023, 05:09:40 PM »
Nice one. Like the drummers list and unlike the guitarists list, might be a tight battle at the top.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2023, 10:26:38 PM »
Nice one. Like the drummers list and unlike the guitarists list, might be a tight battle at the top.

There's a clear #1 for me, but if I take some of the subjective factors out of it, my top 4-5 are separated by paper-thin margins.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2023, 10:31:37 PM »
I think moreso than any other instrument, a lot of bass players are probably going to be overlooked, certainly on mine.  If there aren't a lot of overt bass intros, breaks, fancier fills, active counterpoint lines and such, much less solos, a lot of solid bass playing is felt more than heard.  The song feels emptier if you take it out, but you often forget it's there. 

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2023, 12:45:07 AM »
My list is for sure gonna have some punk rock bassists, which I’m sure will be overlooked by the majority of those who send lists.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2023, 01:09:31 AM »

There's a clear #1 for me, but if I take some of the subjective factors out of it, my top 4-5 are separated by paper-thin margins.

I was referring to the overall list not my own personal list. ie Petrucci smashed the top guitarists, however the top drummers was won by 1 vote. I think the top bassists will be tight at the top.

Like you, I have a clear number 1 and then a handful that I really love. After that I really need to think hard about this....

Online HOF

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2023, 07:03:48 AM »
I think moreso than any other instrument, a lot of bass players are probably going to be overlooked, certainly on mine.  If there aren't a lot of overt bass intros, breaks, fancier fills, active counterpoint lines and such, much less solos, a lot of solid bass playing is felt more than heard.  The song feels emptier if you take it out, but you often forget it's there.

I think bass tends to be felt more than heard in a metal context, but in pop and other less heavy riff based music bass is sometimes one of the more prominent instruments. It’s kind of the one thing you can get away with being sort of active with on a pop song.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2023, 05:30:45 PM »
It's really hard to compare across genres.  There are certainly niches of each that have much more active bass playing.  Tons of prog/tech metal bands with noodly fretless players, for example.  A few might make even make my list.  But there are lots of bands where it's just the guitar's octave pedal or hardly even present in the mix. 

My list is for sure gonna have some punk rock bassists, which I’m sure will be overlooked by the majority of those who send lists.

I may have at least one or two, or adjacent ones. 

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2023, 05:35:57 PM »
It's really hard to compare across genres.  There are certainly niches of each that have much more active bass playing.  Tons of prog/tech metal bands with noodly fretless players, for example.  A few might make even make my list.  But there are lots of bands where it's just the guitar's octave pedal or hardly even present in the mix. 

I may have at least one or two, or adjacent ones.

But would those bassists that are just doing an octave lower and barely noticeable be making a list of favorite bassists?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2023, 05:39:39 PM »
Maybe.  Sometimes having a cool tone might be enough, even if they're playing little more than roots and doubling.  We've touched on this in each of these so far, but I do tend to think that if you listen to and love a band enough, there can be a glow that can make certain elements seem better than they otherwise might be. 

Online Adami

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2023, 06:20:04 PM »
Maybe.  Sometimes having a cool tone might be enough, even if they're playing little more than roots and doubling.  We've touched on this in each of these so far, but I do tend to think that if you listen to and love a band enough, there can be a glow that can make certain elements seem better than they otherwise might be.

I guess we all have our own legit reasons for picking who we do. I personally can’t see choosing a bassist just because his presence adds a little bit of low frequency. I need a bassist to have personality. If not in their playing, then in their other additions to a band.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2023, 06:56:57 PM »

I guess we all have our own legit reasons for picking who we do. I personally can’t see choosing a bassist just because his presence adds a little bit of low frequency. I need a bassist to have personality. If not in their playing, then in their other additions to a band.
This is how I look at it. Does the bassist make the song more interesting? Do they add something to the music that makes it stand out in a good way?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Adami

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2023, 07:00:46 PM »
I totally agree. But to the topic being discussed, does an octave lower of the guitar at a low frequency count as that since it’s quite literally the bare minimum a bassist can add. And justice for all aside.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2023, 07:09:45 PM »
I basically named 20 guys that I could think of. I'm going to have to throw 5 random dudes at the end.