Author Topic: Revisiting Albums: Favorites or others?  (Read 938 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Revisiting Albums: Favorites or others?
« on: May 25, 2023, 01:40:21 PM »

I gave The River Empires album a listening the last few days.

It has been several years since I played the whole 88 minutes + the 1 stand alone track " Five Circles" and I can't stress enough how much I love it and how rewarding it still is to me. And I really hope some of the comments from Jessy Ribordy about at some point, another record will be made,

So, in this topic, post albums you revisited recently after a long gap of time and give your thoughts. Do they still hold up? or maybe they don't? or maybe you find you are enjoying them more than when you listened to them in the past?

Part of the interest in this idea/exercise is with Favorite albums, if you don't come back to them, at least occasionally, how can you be sure you still feel they are a favorite of yours?

Offline emtee

Re: Revisiting Albums: Favorites or others?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 02:38:04 PM »
I found myself in a Dokken mood last weekend. I spun Lightning Strikes Again and Broken Bones, neither of which I bought but were on Prime music. Really enjoyed both, especially LSA.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 04:01:09 PM »
I've got a couple I've revisited in the last year that have held up, or got better since I last listened.

NOFX - Coaster
Cynic - Traced in Air
Gorillaz - Gorillaz

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 08:33:46 PM »
I was actually kicking around the idea of starting a thread where I listen to and review all the albums I've rated 5/5 stars over the years, just to see if they still hold up.

Cool thread idea! :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 08:46:48 PM »
Not that it's my favorites of all time, but when I see a birthday for an album,  I end up spinning it. 

Normally,  it's been a while that I have spun it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 08:37:06 AM »
Sometimes I like to give an album I remember not liking a second chance. Especially from bands that I usually love.

Most recent ones were Black Sabbath - Born Again and Metallica - St. Anger.

While St. Anger is still my least favorite Metallica album I respect it. It's very raw, ugly, unpolished and the single most uncommercial thing they have ever put out. The production has grown on me and it fits the sound they were going for even if the drums do sound like he's playing on garbage cans. While there are some songs that I do think are pretty bad like Frantic a lot of them I liked more on a second listen. That being said a lot of them like Invisible Kid could've benefitted from cutting a few minutes out. Overall an interesting experiment with some songs I like even if a good amount of them don't stick the landing.

Born Again however is a big 180 in my opinion. It went from being my least favorite to competing with Cross Purposes for my vote for most underrated sabbath album. The muddy mix is still a shame though and I hope we get that eventual remix now that they found the original masters. It's full of underrated Iommi riffs like in Digital Bitch and it has in my opinion some of Bill Ward's best work as a drummer. Also The Fallen totally should've made the cut as it would've been the best song on the album and I hope that one also gets a proper remix with the other tracks. While the argument could be made that Ian's voice doesn't exactly fit he really sings his ass off on the album. I know they wanted to be their own supergroup and not be under the Sabbath name but they were overruled by the higher ups. Even with the unfortunate mix I think it would've been better received if they had been able to release under a different name like they wanted to.
Do you read Sutter Cane?