Author Topic: Rush Live Tourography - The Permanent Waves Tour (REVISITED - World Tour 1980)  (Read 73613 times)

Offline The Letter M

It's been a couple of years, but Rush decided to gift us with a complete Moving Pictures Tour Live concert from two nights at the Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto, March 24th and 25th from 1981, as part of their Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary releases earlier this month.

With that I figured we could revisit this Tour!

The Moving Pictures Tour started 12 days after the album's release, from February 19th, 1981 to July 5th. They only toured North America during these five months, but they would hit Europe on the next tour in support of their 2nd live album, Exit...Stage Left.

They toured with fewer opening bands, at least that I am aware of. According to Eric at the Power Windows website, they opened with FM, Max Webster, and Ian Hunter.

Live In YYZ 1981 - 118:57
(Live In Toronto, OT on 3/24-25/1981)
(From the Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary Edition)

Disc 1 - 61:31
01. 2112 – Overture
02. 2112 – The Temples Of Syrinx
03. Freewill
04. Limelight
05. Hemispheres – Prelude
06. Beneath, Between & Behind
07. The Camera Eye
08. YYZ
09. Broon’s Bane
10. The Trees
11. Xanadu

Disc 2 - 57:26
12. The Spirit Of Radio
13. Red Barchetta
14. Closer To The Heart
15. Tom Sawyer
16. Vital Signs
17. Natural Science
18. Medley: Working Man /
       Hemispheres – Armageddon /
       By-Tor & The Snow Dog /
       In The End /
       In The Mood /
       2112 – Grand Finale
19. La Villa Strangiato

I've listened to this show one and a half times now and so far, I'm really enjoying it. It's great to finally have a complete, professionally recorded and released complete MP Tour show. Makes me really wish they had done this for the PEW and HEMI anniversaries.

Highlights include all of the MP songs that they played (since "Witch Hunt" was not played live until the GUP Tour), plus "Natural Science" and the closing Medley. The band are really on fire for this hometown crowd and even if there are a few flubs or recording glitches here or there, it doesn't take away the power and fierceness of this album. Of course if you've been married to the ESL versions of these songs for a long time, you'll be able to spot the differences quite quickly but I think it's as enjoyable as ESL, if not more so given that it's a complete show.

Now to wait and see if we get a complete Signals Tour soundboard concert...

-Marc.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 09:04:36 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

Not all the MP songs. They don’t do Witch Hunt.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Letter M

Not all the MP songs. They don’t do Witch Hunt.

I meant all of the MP songs they played. Of course I know they didn't play "Witch Hunt". I shared the set list/track list after all!  ;)

I figured I didn't need to clarify since I was speaking within the context of the MP Tour itself, but I'll edit my post to make sure no one else makes that mistake.

-Marc.

ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
... but Rush decided to gift us with a complete Moving Pictures Tour Live concert...

It's free? Where?

Offline The Letter M

... but Rush decided to gift us with a complete Moving Pictures Tour Live concert...

It's free? Where?

Streaming and YouTube,of course!  ;)

-Marc.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Thank you for the update. :tup

And, as I was looking for it, here is a Providence Civic Center audience recording from that May  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTpvTJYHX2g

Sounds like a Dan Lambranski recording (he provided IMO the best Queen live concert one back in '78).  Regardless, it's an A+ recording.

note:  not sure if this show had been posted or not.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 02:05:40 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

And, as I was looking for it, here is a Providence Civic Center audience recording from that May https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTpvTJYHX2g

Sounds like a Dan Lambranski recording (he provided IMO the best Queen live concert one back in '78)

I have that show on my iPod (and burned to CD), but another excellent show from that tour is Anaheim 6-12-81.

As far as Signals shows..I have London 5-21-83, which is pretty good. That opening drum fill to Digital Man  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Letter M

And, as I was looking for it, here is a Providence Civic Center audience recording from that May  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTpvTJYHX2g

Sounds like a Dan Lambranski recording (he provided IMO the best Queen live concert one back in '78).  Regardless, it's an A+ recording.

Hmmm I'll have to check that out later! And no problem, I'm just still ecstatic that the band decided to put out a complete MP Tour show after skimping on the past two box sets for Hemispheres and Permanent Waves (where I was really hoping they'd dig out the *complete* St. Louis show).

And, as I was looking for it, here is a Providence Civic Center audience recording from that May https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTpvTJYHX2g

Sounds like a Dan Lambranski recording (he provided IMO the best Queen live concert one back in '78)

I have that show on my iPod (and burned to CD), but another excellent show from that tour is Anaheim 6-12-81.

As far as Signals shows..I have London 5-21-83, which is pretty good. That opening drum fill to Digital Man  :metal

Is that the "Countdown To London" show? I believe I've heard that one before, way back when I started collecting boots, but I gravitated towards the "Music In The Abstract" Uniondale, NY show from December 9th, 1982, mostly because it's one of the few complete shows that also includes "Chemistry". I just browsed Rush Trader to look at some of the better boots from that tour, and while the London show probably sounds a bit better (and is later in the tour), I just liked the Uniondale show a bit more (for completeness' sake).

Here's hoping we get a Signals Anniversary set with a complete live show, even if it doesn't have "Chemistry".

-Marc.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Is that the "Countdown To London" show?

Not sure. I downloaded most of my Rush boots from Dime years ago. I don't catalog them by title, only by city and date.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Have this on Rush show on cassette.  Never found an upgrade.

Offline The Letter M

So I just realized, as I have recently been on a big Rush-binge lately (which has been more and more rare as the years go by, despite them being my favorite band of all time), that I never really explored the "new" live material from the Permanent Waves 40th Anniversary release. It probably didn't help that I didn't buy it when it came out three years ago, but I never noticed that they put out nearly a whole show's worth of material from that tour.

They included 12 songs, and all that was missing was the opener, "2112",  the closing "Working Man" medley, and the encore of "La Villa Strangiato", all of which are available on the St. Louis 80 show that's been in circulation for decades, and is still a very pristine soundboard show (one of the best sounding Rush boots from the 80s). So, it dawned on me that if you have the 2nd disc of the 40th Anniversary set PLUS the St. Louis 80 show, you could cobble together a complete Permanent Waves Tour show:

Disc 1
1. 2112 (Live In St. Louis)
2. Freewill (Live In London)
3. By-Tor And The Snow Dog (Live In London)
4. Xanadu (Live In London)
5. The Spirit Of Radio (Live In Manchester)
6. Natural Science (Live In Manchester)
7. A Passage To Bangkok (Live In Manchester) (Only on the digital version)
8. The Trees (Live In Manchester)

Disc 2
1. Cygnus X-1, Book I: The Voyage (Live In London)
2. Cygnus X-1, Book II: Hemispheres (Live In London)
3. Closer To The Heart (Live In Manchester)
4. Beneath, Between & Behind (Live In Manchester)
5. Jacob's Ladder (Live In St. Louis)
6. Working Man Medley (Live In St. Louis)
7. La Villa Strangiato (Live In St. Louis)

After getting the complete AFTK live show several years ago, and the complete Toronto 81 show last year in the MP box set, I'm now going to finally put together a complete PEW Tour show in full soundboard, and not the piece-meal version I've had for over a decade (which put together St. Louis 80, songs from Exit... Stage Left from the PEW Tour, and some from the Fort Worth, TX audience bootleg. It was a very mixed bag of a "complete tour album", but now I can remedy that.

A shame I can't do the same for the Signals Tour this year. I guess this might be the last time I update this thread, especially if they don't do any more anniversary releases that include live material from their respective tours. I'd *love* to get a complete soundboard of the Power Windows Tour, which was the last tour where I had to piece together from at least two shows to make an album (the Philadelphia Soundboard boot, and the Milwaukee Audience boot).

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Here's a few historical new additions.

The 8mm isn't new but it's been restored with audio and assigned a date and venue. Don't recall that this version of The Twilight Zone has ever surfaced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O28KL0NoUI0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J2xIb4RLU8

Offline The Letter M

The 8mm isn't new but it's been restored with audio and assigned a date and venue. Don't recall that this version of The Twilight Zone has ever surfaced.

Thank you for sharing those! I feel like we've gotten so much early Rush audio and video in the past few years that I'm beginning to have hope we'll someday get a COS tour headlining show in full!  :lol

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...

Thank you for sharing those! I feel like we've gotten so much early Rush audio and video in the past few years that I'm beginning to have hope we'll someday get a COS tour headlining show in full!  :lol

-Marc.

In this case the 8mm film with the All The World's a Stage was a master syncing job.  All The World's A Stage has been used before for 8mm but never this well. Nice to get a seemingly valid date as well.