Author Topic: Gift for high school graduate of close family friends?  (Read 1306 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Gift for high school graduate of close family friends?
« on: May 18, 2023, 11:28:49 AM »
Hey all. Been a minute since I've been to a high school graduation. The oldest child of a couple that my wife and I are close friends with is graduating high school next week. We have no idea what an appropriate gift is. My first thought is money, because everyone needs money, particularly 18-year-olds soon go be going across the country for university.

So, if you're close with the graduate's family (and we are, and have spent a lot of time with the graduate), what kind of monetary amount makes sense? Is $200 too much? Too little? Seriously just looking for input. We have no idea what is appropriate.

Thanks.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline pg1067

Re: Gift for high school graduate of close family friends?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 11:34:49 AM »
That's more than I'd give, but I tend to think I'm "cheap" with these sorts of things.  I probably wouldn't do more than $50 for a non-family member.

One suggestion that might be cooler than money:  Check and see what restaurants (fast food or otherwise) are near campus and buy a few gift cards instead of giving cash.  My kid just finished her first year of college and loved getting random gift cards throughout the year and for her birthday over winter break.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 11:41:35 AM »
We normally give $100.00 for close friend's families kids. More for nieces & nephews.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 11:44:06 AM »
I err on the side of probably being generous.  I would do $200, though not more.  I would generally stick with cash, unless, per PG's idea, there is something special or unique you can bring (a new restaurant, a unique restaurant).    I wouldn't give $200 (or whatever) in gift certificates to, say, Applebee's. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 11:47:11 AM »
I err on the side of probably being generous.  I would do $200

You know you missed my high school graduation, bachelors graduation, two masters graduation, and doctorate graduation.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2023, 12:04:36 PM »

You know you missed my high school graduation, bachelors graduation, two masters graduation, and doctorate graduation.

I fluttered my eyes at you in Pennsylvania. That should cover all the graduations. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2023, 12:06:08 PM »

I fluttered my eyes at you in Pennsylvania. That should cover all the graduations.

Oh, you're more than good. But Stads owes me a thousand bucks plus interest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2023, 12:06:40 PM »
You could also think about giving them a gift card to a store where they might need to pick up stuff for college - somewhere like a bookstore or a place they can get dorm essentials. Or, you could put the money towards a specific bigger-ticket item they'll need for college, like a laptop.

Remember, at the end of the day, it's all about showing them you care and supporting them in this new chapter. Hope this helps, mate!

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2023, 12:18:07 PM »
Hey all. Been a minute since I've been to a high school graduation. The oldest child of a couple that my wife and I are close friends with is graduating high school next week. We have no idea what an appropriate gift is. My first thought is money, because everyone needs money, particularly 18-year-olds soon go be going across the country for university.

So, if you're close with the graduate's family (and we are, and have spent a lot of time with the graduate), what kind of monetary amount makes sense? Is $200 too much? Too little? Seriously just looking for input. We have no idea what is appropriate.

Thanks.

I would say consult with the parents, they might have an idea of what the kid needs/will need. If you go the monetary route, $100 fine, $200 is generous and also fine, but should be the upper limit (IMO).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 12:21:39 PM »
Sam, is this an only child? How many siblings will you have to buy gifts for and multiply the gift amount by.

Generally, we go with $100. If this is an only child and you guys know them well, and you can afford it, $200 is way more than generous, but I wouldn't do any more than that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2023, 12:24:43 PM »
I think $100 is more than enough for graduating high school.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2023, 12:31:09 PM »
$200.00 sounds good to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2023, 01:26:08 PM »
I err on the side of probably being generous.  I would do $200, though not more.  I would generally stick with cash, unless, per PG's idea, there is something special or unique you can bring (a new restaurant, a unique restaurant).    I wouldn't give $200 (or whatever) in gift certificates to, say, Applebee's.

BTW...my suggestion would work well for my kid because she goes to school in a tiny town with relatively few options.  If the graduate in question is going to a place in a big city, it probably would be less good.  And, Bill, what have you got against riblets?!   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2023, 04:07:45 PM »
Thanks everyone!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!