Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 101809 times)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3675 on: May 17, 2024, 12:40:09 PM »
I don't remember who I sent in my EP... :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3676 on: May 17, 2024, 06:35:19 PM »
I don't remember who I sent in my EP... :corn

Dolly Parton, Coven, Black Flag?  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3677 on: May 21, 2024, 01:44:13 PM »
I haven't been in an update since 3 pages ago.  :'(
You'll have two in the next update! :)

i mean i think one? of my artists has been covered so far, if that, so :lol
Two now! And another to come in the next update.

McStine & Minnemann (sent by HOF)
Yeah this is pretty much along the lines I expected really. I’ve given some listens to both their albums, figured I should give them both a chance. It’s very intelligent music but it doesn’t really engage me emotionally. I don’t know much about McStine but much of what I’ve heard involving Minnemann has had a similar effect. Lots of talent and variety, and some very cool ideas at times, but a little… esoteric maybe? Your Offences and The Horse is Dead have stuck with me pretty well, but nothing else has stood out, even the other songs you included on your EP.

Michael Kelsey (sent by Reaper)
I decided to give Submerged some listens as the album you mostly included songs from. I gather from a quick dip into Lessons While Dreaming that some of his stuff is more singer-songwriter stuff, but despite really liking the track Sleepwalker, his vocals sounded pretty weak (off-puttingly so) and so I didn’t bother with that album. Submerged though, I found myself enjoying more than I expected given my general pickiness when it comes to acoustic guitar albums. Some of the tracks don’t really interest me at all, but the good ones really do capture a gorgeous mood, and the way he uses atmospheric effects to enhance that is quite lovely.

Moonshade (sent by TAC)
Excellent band. Both their albums are great. Their first, Sun Dethroned (which you included a song from), is the type of melodic death metal that I really dig when done well. It has the balance of aggression and melancholy that I love, in some ways like a slightly heavier Insomnium. Nice use of clean vocals here and there as well. The more recent album is great too and a little different - great use of female clean vocals to bring a slightly different sound, but still really high quality, rich music. I checked out one of their earlier EPs as well and it had some good moments but some quite weak ones too.

Mother’s Cake (sent by luke)
This band has been a nice surprise. Or their latest album has at least. The tracks you included on your EP definitely engaged my interest compared with what I'd heard from them before, and thankfully the rest of the album is great too. I gave another listen to their debut and haven't changed my mind, the proggy funk rock is a fun idea but the execution wasn't great. I've also given No Rhyme No Reason some listens and that's pretty cool (especially Enemy, which is a killer tune) but doesn't have the consistency that Cyberfunk has. The latest really is just full of excellent hooks and grooves.

My Morning Jacket (sent by Crow)
I ummed and ahhed a bit on whether to bother checking these guys out - I liked the song on your EP, but the weak vocals were quite a blocker for me. I ended up deciding to give It Still Moves a go, as I’ve been familiar with their name for a long time and so I figured it was worth checking them out. And yeah, it’s not really my cup of tea. Pleasant enough, with some quite compelling moments where there’s an emotional resonance to them. I still dig the guitar motifs in One Big Holiday, and Masterplan is another good’un (with more engaging vocals too). But a lot of the album is just really lacking in punch or good hooks for my tastes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3678 on: May 21, 2024, 02:03:13 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3679 on: May 21, 2024, 02:03:24 PM »
Yay!

The latest Mother's Cake is pretty damn good. I have fond memories of spinning that loads on the first glamping trip away I had with my wife, after my son was born :heart

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3680 on: May 21, 2024, 02:18:32 PM »
i mean yeah the rest of the album is pretty different from the one song i sent, it's nice and breezy and i liked it fine enough but it was very much a "take the one song and dip" album for me  :lol

i think that's true of most of the artists i submitted for the final round admittedly so

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3681 on: May 21, 2024, 02:30:32 PM »
i think that's true of most of the artists i submitted for the final round admittedly so
Yeah I'm well aware that none of these artists may stick, but we'll see. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3682 on: May 21, 2024, 02:51:55 PM »

McStine & Minnemann (sent by HOF)
Yeah this is pretty much along the lines I expected really. I’ve given some listens to both their albums, figured I should give them both a chance. It’s very intelligent music but it doesn’t really engage me emotionally. I don’t know much about McStine but much of what I’ve heard involving Minnemann has had a similar effect. Lots of talent and variety, and some very cool ideas at times, but a little… esoteric maybe? Your Offences and The Horse is Dead have stuck with me pretty well, but nothing else has stood out, even the other songs you included on your EP.

I'd say this has been the general reaction when I've sent them in roulettes. The first album in particular I just think was a really nice, compact, proggy rock album with some fresh ideas and cool playing. The second is a bit more bloated and probably should have been half as long as it was, but I still like a lot of it. Esoteric is probably a good descriptor. 

If you were of a mind to explore something else with McStine but not Minnemann, The Fringe (McStine plus Nick D'Virgilio and Jonas Reingold) is a little more straight ahead. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3683 on: May 21, 2024, 03:29:39 PM »
I made it!!!!  ;D :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3684 on: May 23, 2024, 11:12:33 AM »
I agree with Micheal Kelley's voice, I think he is a decent singer but I think it can be a miss at times. It's why I enjoy submerged as much as I do, it's his more experimental album.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3685 on: May 24, 2024, 05:20:07 AM »
Completely fair assessment of MK Freefall.

And Jonas Lindberg - that album is dope.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3686 on: May 24, 2024, 09:45:46 AM »
I made it!!!!  ;D :lol

Can I have a slice? ... You made pizza right?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3687 on: May 27, 2024, 09:33:17 AM »
Can I have a slice? ... You made pizza right?
On a related note, I'll be checking out Pizza Death shortly. :biggrin:

Until then, updates!

Nightrage (sent by Litho)
This hasn’t captured my interest as much as I would have liked, but there’s some good stuff. Obviously I went with their debut album, Sweet Vengeance. It’s the one you included tracks from, and is also their most commonly and highly rated album on RYM. It’s pretty good in an early-In-Flames-ish sort of way. Not that it’s a carbon copy or anything, but there’s clearly a very strong influence. The good moments are very good. The two tracks you sent are the standouts, for sure. Circle of Pain is also really good, but the way it fades out in the middle of a chorus is a real WTF. The track after that does the same. Anyway yeah some great songs, but the rest is a little unengaging. It has a cool early melodeath vibe, but melodically it doesn’t feel that rich or interesting to me.

Obscura (sent by wolfking)
Another pleasant surprise here, and I’m quite glad you included a song from their latest album. I’ve been considering checking them out for a while, having been introduced to no fewer than three side or solo projects from them, but I’m not sure I’d have done much of a deep dive if I’d heard any of their earlier works. Not that they’re bad, indeed it’s very skilled and intricate music, but having now also given some listens to Cosmogenesis, Akróasis and Diluvium, they all suffer from the problem I often have with tech death which is a lack of engaging melody. Not so on A Valediction though. The technicality and intensity is all there, but there’s a more melodeath - almost power metal at times - vibe in several songs and it just makes the whole thing that bit more accessible.

Orbit Culture (sent by wolfking)
Another hit, that’s two in a row. Nija and their latest, Descent, are top notch albums. It’s an odd mix of influences, which I noticed in the song you’d included on your EP. RYM places them as a mix of melodic death metal and groove metal, but I hear a bit of thrash in there among other things. In some songs it doesn’t quite work - particularly where they focus too much on heavy at the expense of atmosphere or melody, but on these two albums at least, the balance is good and the best songs really elevate the rest. The earlier releases haven’t hit the mark for me so much, although one song from the Redfog EP (The Newborn One) was really damn good.

Orville Peck (sent by Crow)
You know, I’ve ended up liking Bronco a lot, probably more than you from what you’ve said. Some of the songs are a little run of the mill, for sure, but even in most of those his voice is so engaging and charismatic as to make them enjoyable to listen to. But as well as Kalahari Down, there are a few songs that are really captivating. The one that really stands out to me is Let Me Drown, but there are other great ones too. I’ve also tried his debut album, Pony, and that is… considerably less my cup of tea. Just really samey and lacking in either energy or rich melodies. Even his vocals are quite muted and boring on this one.

Patterson Hood (sent by seneca)
You included a song from Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance, so that’s the album I’ve given some listens to. It’s pretty nice, but I can’t say it’s really grabbing me. One thing I do like about it is the lyrics. It feels like a very personal and thoughtful album, and very authentic. But, as has been the case with some artists you’ve sent me before, I need music that engages me too and I don’t think this album does that consistently enough. Come Back Little Star is still really good, and there are nice moments in Leaving Time and After the Damage. But most of the album fails to hook me in.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3688 on: May 27, 2024, 09:08:41 PM »
Nightrage (sent by Litho)
This hasn’t captured my interest as much as I would have liked, but there’s some good stuff. Obviously I went with their debut album, Sweet Vengeance. It’s the one you included tracks from, and is also their most commonly and highly rated album on RYM. It’s pretty good in an early-In-Flames-ish sort of way. Not that it’s a carbon copy or anything, but there’s clearly a very strong influence. The good moments are very good. The two tracks you sent are the standouts, for sure. Circle of Pain is also really good, but the way it fades out in the middle of a chorus is a real WTF. The track after that does the same. Anyway yeah some great songs, but the rest is a little unengaging. It has a cool early melodeath vibe, but melodically it doesn’t feel that rich or interesting to me.

Hmm, it's unfortunate that this didn't go quite as well.  I'm always on the lookout for bands who can execute the better aspects of the late 90s/early 00s In Flames sound.  In terms of chronology, production, and style, Nightrage has always felt like they've been (especially on the first four albums) what IF would have sounded like if they stayed on that path rather than shifting directions as they did.  Dunno if this is a case of maybe you needing to hear more albums and sit with them longer for things to stand out more, vs. just me preferring this version of the MDM sound and you being more into the Insomnium version of it, to the extent that people not into this style could even tell them apart.  Interesting observation about the choruses, I'd never thought about it that way, but I guess I've heard them so many times I'm just used to them.  I think production-wise the idea behind it is that as it fades out it encourages your ear to keep it going after the fade ends, to increase memorability. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2024, 09:15:33 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3689 on: May 27, 2024, 11:56:10 PM »
Well, I'd probably leave it until the end but I've certainly no objection to also checking out some of their later stuff, if you can recommend an album or two. It's not uncommon for an artist's early work to be their most popular/recommended but for me to prefer later albums that have tighter production and/or songwriting.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3690 on: May 28, 2024, 05:58:54 AM »
Well, I'd probably leave it until the end but I've certainly no objection to also checking out some of their later stuff, if you can recommend an album or two. It's not uncommon for an artist's early work to be their most popular/recommended but for me to prefer later albums that have tighter production and/or songwriting.

So I'd loosely summarize it this way:  Descent Into Chaos is similar to SV, but with fewer standout tracks, they ditched the acoustic interludes/codas (a negative for me), and rather than four tracks of Englund guest vocals we just get a single track of Mikael Stanne guesting.  Bonuses are that it still has Lindberg on vocals and Gus G. on lead guitars, both of whom I like, they were at that time a "supergroup" done right.  A New Disease Is Born is their most "different" and melodic metalcore-leaning (not really all that much though).  Wearing a Martyr's Crown according to RYM is one of their weakest, but would be my personal second favorite, I just really like some of the songs and the production.  Insidious is rather chock-full of guests and kind of fun, though perhaps less cohesive. 

Everything after that blends together for me.  I enjoy them when I put them on, but not as much stands out individually, and the production feels a bit thinner and less impactful to me generally.  It's continued to be a revolving door of supporting musicians that I don't find quite as compelling as those on the early albums.  But RYM says that '22 Abyss Rising is their second best album, so I suppose you could try that too, and/or wait for the newest one and check it out when it releases in a few days.  The singles make me suspect it's going to be part of the "pretty good but not quite superb" blur of the past dozen years or so though. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3691 on: May 28, 2024, 04:15:36 PM »
Nice.  I haven't fully delved into all of Obscura's older stuff but agree, that latest album is a step up in terms of melodies and being a lot more catchy and memorable.  Wonderful album.

I'm still yet to check the new OC album.  Even though I sent them, I'm not a massive fan.  I did like Nija in small doses though.  I find their sound a little samey but the heaviness and groove elements are very good. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.