Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91718 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3535 on: February 04, 2024, 07:27:47 PM »
Blessed By A Broken Heart did release a couple of singles last year.  They were ok.  Feel the Power is a killer album.

I thought the songs were pretty good.

Feel the Power still holds up.  Always a wonderful listen.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3536 on: February 04, 2024, 07:41:26 PM »
TAC and wolking are the types to bring a bazooka to a knife fight.

Huh?

Your "light" music had harsh vocals, double bass, and shred guitar.  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3537 on: February 04, 2024, 07:43:45 PM »
TAC and wolking are the types to bring a bazooka to a knife fight.

Huh?

Your "light" music had harsh vocals, double bass, and shred guitar.  :lol

Exactly........light music.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3538 on: February 04, 2024, 11:44:37 PM »
:lol

In Kade's defense, one of his light submissions had no harsh vocals at all and the other was mostly clean vocals. That's a pretty good effort.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3539 on: February 05, 2024, 01:11:43 AM »

soupy: The Pierces
Unsurprisingly I started with You & I, being the album you mostly sent me songs from. It’s a great album, pop that’s simultaneously upbeat and a little cynical, with a really nice infusion of folk and soft rock. Lots of great, catchy hooks all over the album. Creation, their last one, is really nice too, maybe not quite as consistent but still with lots of great stuff. The earlier albums are nice, but haven’t really grabbed me other than a handful of songs on each. I like the quirkiness on Thirteen Tales, but not many of the songs are actually very interesting melodically unfortunately. Their first two and much more straightforward and perfectly pleasant, but again only a few songs are very engaging, the rest is all a bit middle of the road.

That's pretty much where I am too.  Maybe I put Thirteen Tales over Creation - but You and I is definitely their best.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3540 on: February 05, 2024, 02:46:31 AM »
:lol

In Kade's defense, one of his light submissions had no harsh vocals at all and the other was mostly clean vocals. That's a pretty good effort.

Thank you Rich!  I indeed made an effort on that front.  ;D

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3541 on: February 07, 2024, 02:59:27 PM »
I see that 3.5 stars for Heavy Pendulum. Clearly you haven't listened to it enough. :loser:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3542 on: February 07, 2024, 03:13:30 PM »
I see that 3.5 stars for Heavy Pendulum. Clearly you haven't listened to it enough. :loser:
RYM-stalking huh? :P

Might as well post the first three from round 6!

Buddy: Cave In
Alright look, this album is too long. :lol I like it, but it’s a bit samey and does kinda drag. There isn’t really any tonal variety at all, and not that much variety of style either. Those in themselves aren’t problems when an album is either short and punchy, or full of bangers, but neither is the case here. There are a few pretty great songs though - the essentials are Floating Skulls, Heavy Pendulum and Wavering Angel. But there are some others that are pretty good as well. Honestly you can cut maybe half an hour off this album, it would be great and you wouldn’t really lose anything. As an album listener I almost never make abridged versions of albums - either I like an album enough as created by the artist to want to own/return to it, or I don’t and I might just keep a song or two (or none). But after giving the full album a few goes, I tried an abridged version in Spotify a couple of times and it was so much much better. I think this is probably one of those rare occasions where that’s what I’ll do.

Crow: Victory Over the Sun
Sheesh this album is intense. I’m glad that overall I came to love Thorn Woos the Wound. It just about gets the balance right so that the discordant stuff isn’t too overbearing, and the parts of the songs that are chordant and melodic are pretty glorious and immersive. The rest of the album isn’t holding up as well. I’ve given it a good number of listens as that’s what helped with Thorn, but really the only other song that’s grown on me a fair bit is Madeline Becoming Judy. It doesn’t have the same big emotional swells as Thorn, but has some interesting and cool use of synths in the melodic sections that provides quite an enjoyable and unique effect. The Gold of Having Nothing and Black Heralds are harder work though and don’t really have anything for me to hook onto. And as I’m sure comes as no surprise to you, WHEEL is not my thing at all. :lol The variety and high points mean I’d probably say I like the album overall, but I can’t say I love it.

Elite: Wheel
It took you several rounds, but you eventually moved to sending stuff in styles where our tastes are better aligned. Even though I’m pretty lukewarm on Tool for the most part (except for Lateralus, which is superb), as I said in the roulette itself these guys seem to do a better - or rather, more consistently good - job of the same style. Jumping back to their start, the first EP, The Path, is pretty good for sure, if a little derivative with none of the songs particularly exciting. I initially thought this was the case for the next EP, The Divide, as well, but that grew on me loads. The songs are bigger, more engaging and have some strong melodic and emotional hooks. And really that’s carried on since, with some subtle shifts in style with each release. Moving Backwards is their best, for sure, but everything else they’ve done since has also been great.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2024, 04:04:53 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3543 on: February 07, 2024, 03:43:28 PM »
There isn’t really any tonal variety at all, and not that much variety of style either.

Huh? What? Are you listening to the right album? If the heavy, energetic songs are the album's base sound, then you've still got plenty of variance from that with the slow burners like Blinded By A Blaze and Nightmare Eyes, and the cleaner, more melodic songs like the title track, Reckoning, and Wavering Angel, the latter of which is 12 damn minutes. Yeah it's a long album but saying it has no variety is a fucking bizarre take. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3544 on: February 07, 2024, 03:57:19 PM »
WHEEL is not my thing at all. :lol
Elite: Wheel

oops

also yeah madeline becoming judy is my second fave, i love wheel for how brutalist and completely contrasting it is from thorn but thorn is my bestie for sure

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3545 on: February 07, 2024, 04:04:03 PM »
There isn’t really any tonal variety at all, and not that much variety of style either.

Huh? What? Are you listening to the right album? If the heavy, energetic songs are the album's base sound, then you've still got plenty of variance from that with the slow burners like Blinded By A Blaze and Nightmare Eyes, and the cleaner, more melodic songs like the title track, Reckoning, and Wavering Angel, the latter of which is 12 damn minutes. Yeah it's a long album but saying it has no variety is a fucking bizarre take. :lol
Yeah I'm not really talking about heaviness/energy levels. As I say, there is some variety of style (including energy levels), though I'd generally have a preference for a little more. It's the tone I find always the same. Even Reckoning, which is a very welcome change of pace, prompts pretty much the same emotional reaction in me as the rest.

Again though, that's not necessarily a bad thing if the quality is consistently high. I think it's the combination of factors. Take Blinded By A Blaze, for example. I just don't find it very interesting in itself, but it also doesn't really add anything to the album as a whole. There's a few songs like that - less than half the album, but enough to make the overall experience drag.

I'd have liked to enjoy it more because the stuff I like I really do dig. I think that's why it's one of those very rare occasions where I'm happier with my abridged playlist instead, which I listened to again today and really did work quite well.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3547 on: February 07, 2024, 04:10:52 PM »
RYM-stalking huh? :P

I check your latest ratings several times a month to see if you've gotten to mine yet too. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3548 on: February 12, 2024, 02:14:20 PM »
I quite like these smaller, more regular updates, so here's a few more from round 6.

Evermind: Birdy
This lady has made some incredibly gorgeous music. I can see why you mostly sent songs from Young Heart - that album is definitely my favourite - but I also really like how she does something a little different with each album. Her debut was fairly straightforward and it’s nice, if not that exciting. Fire Within is similar in its singer-songwriter style, but steps up in terms of melody and emotion, all to the benefit. Beautiful Lies brings some new sounds as well as more of a champer pop vibe, and again has some lovely songs. Then Young Heart goes all indie folk, and absolutely drips with emotion - just such an immersive album - good potential to be my favourite from the round. I dig the synthpop stylings she then brought in on Portraits, although I’m not sold on the music itself yet - most of the album feels a little lacking in good hooks.

faizoff: Run The Jewels
I figured it made sense to check out RTJ4, as the album you mostly sent songs from, even though it has Ooh La La on it. :lol Having had a break from it, I didn’t find it quite so annoying this time, but I wouldn’t say it’s grown on me that much. The album as a whole is pretty much what I expected and I rate pretty similarly to the selection you sent. It’s pretty cool though. That mix of groove and tension I mentioned in your submission is prominent, and quite engaging, and there’s the odd quieter moment here and there that adds a bit of variety to the sound. Pretty good, but ultimately not really what grabs me when it comes to hip hop.

Glasser: Bastian Per
Like with Faizoff’s RTJ, this was very much what I expected really. Competent prog but mostly a bit vanilla and middle of the road for my tastes. There’s some nice stuff on here though, especially on the second half of the album - those moments that do something a little different to catch my interest. I still like the theatrical side of The Mystery Behind and the emotion of The Safe Place. Greatness Delirium is a fantastic short instrumental with a ton of groove, probably my favourite track on the album, and it leads nicely into Way Back Home which is mostly pretty great too. The rest of the album is decent - good enough to enjoy but not really enough to excite.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3549 on: February 22, 2024, 01:40:44 PM »
Have four updates this time!

HOF: Sweet Billy Pilgrim
In terms of my opinion on this band - or at least the three albums you sent me songs from - I don’t have a lot to add to what I said in the roulette. These three albums are great. Motorcade Amnesiacs is easily my favourite. It’s creative in a cerebral sort of way, with a great mix of styles and tones, but also has a fair bit of emotional resonance to make it very engaging. The two albums since focus on one over the other. At first I found Wapentak a little straightforward and narrow in scope, but there’s a real warmth to it that revealed itself on later listens. It’s odd that these later albums are so obscure - almost no RYM ratings for the latest two, for example - but the earlier ones seem better known. I tried a couple and they didn’t really work for me. Crown and Treaty is nice but not much really resonated with me. Twice Born Men was interesting in ways, but the “slowcore” style that dominates it isn’t really my thing.

jingle: Sass Jordan
Well this lady for sure has a great voice. Very versatile and charismatic. I’ve not so far found an album that I love overall, but I am finding quite a few great songs dotted throughout what I’ve heard. I also quite like the fact that she changes up her style from album to album. I started with her first three albums, being the ones you sent me songs from. Her debut sounds very of its time (late 80s) and maybe a little dated, but it has a few cool songs, especially in the first half. Racine is a very solid all-rounder. Rats is interesting, a little bluesier but also a slightly grungy vibe to the sound. Not all of it grabs me but songs like Slave and High Road Easy are great and I like the more punchy sound on this one. I didn’t listen to any other albums enough to rate them, but I dipped in and generally found the same thing, even as her style continued to change.

King: A.C.T
That was a great shout sending me songs from Circus Pandemonium and the Heatwave EP, even though I’d previously rated Last Epic (which seems to generally be their favourite) 3.5 stars. Both releases are really great. There’s a charismatic theatricality to their music combined with some catchy melodies and occasional grand immersive moments that just make the overall effect really enjoyable. I did give Last Epic another go but haven’t changed my mind about that one - the theatricality is there but I just don’t find it very smoothly fused with the core prog sound, something just feels slightly off. That said, I’d forgotten what a cracking song Mr Landlord is. I also tried Silence and the other two recent EPs they released - they’re all pretty good but none has the same charm as the ones you sent me songs from. Falling comes closest - it has a nice sound and great use of synths. But most of the EP is a little too safe and, apart from Breathe (which is fab), lacking in good hooks.

Litho: Autumn
I don’t know that I have much to add to what I said in the roulette. Great band. Really loving Altitude especially (that closer!) but Stacking Smoke and My New Time are also excellent. It’s not especially complex or intricate music for the most part, but they create quite an evocative mood, write some strong melodies, and have had two great singers who create a very immersive sound. I quite like Summer’s End and Cold Comfort as well, though neither album is grabbing me as much as those other three. The debut is… really quite weak by comparison. :lol One of the biggest steps up in quality I’ve encountered between a debut and sophomore album. I’m aware this is one of your favourite bands, so thank you for bringing me on board!

I be am boner inducing.

Online HOF

« Reply #3550 on: February 22, 2024, 02:07:33 PM »
Have four updates this time!

HOF: Sweet Billy Pilgrim
In terms of my opinion on this band - or at least the three albums you sent me songs from - I don’t have a lot to add to what I said in the roulette. These three albums are great. Motorcade Amnesiacs is easily my favourite. It’s creative in a cerebral sort of way, with a great mix of styles and tones, but also has a fair bit of emotional resonance to make it very engaging. The two albums since focus on one over the other. At first I found Wapentak a little straightforward and narrow in scope, but there’s a real warmth to it that revealed itself on later listens. It’s odd that these later albums are so obscure - almost no RYM ratings for the latest two, for example - but the earlier ones seem better known. I tried a couple and they didn’t really work for me. Crown and Treaty is nice but not much really resonated with me. Twice Born Men was interesting in ways, but the “slowcore” style that dominates it isn’t really my thing.

Nice! Motorcade Amnesiacs is easily one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years. It's just full of all kinds of goodness. Wapentak is a bit more stripped back and rootsy, as they went to being just a duo at that point. Twice Born Men is definitely not as immediate and has a low-budget nature that might be a little harder to tap into. But it's one that I consistently come back to and get really engrossed in. It's worth giving a few more spins if you didn't connect with it right away.

The earlier albums had some label support behind them, and they had a little buzz from some indie magazines early on. The more recent stuff has been totally independent and not terribly well promoted. Can't remember if I sent you anything from their most recent album, Somapolis, but it's really great too. Probably their proggiest album yet and right up there with Motorcade Amnesiacs.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3551 on: February 22, 2024, 02:19:34 PM »
Yeah Somapolis is great, sorry I forgot to mention it by name but as I said both the latest two albums I like a lot. I sort of see Wapentak as the "feely" album - stripped back but quite emotive - while Somapolis is the "thinky" album - very unusual and creative, and as you say quite proggy. Both good in different ways. I think the reason I like Motorcade most is how well it does both those things.

I be am boner inducing.

Online HOF

« Reply #3552 on: February 22, 2024, 02:30:37 PM »
Yeah Somapolis is great, sorry I forgot to mention it by name but as I said both the latest two albums I like a lot. I sort of see Wapentak as the "feely" album - stripped back but quite emotive - while Somapolis is the "thinky" album - very unusual and creative, and as you say quite proggy. Both good in different ways. I think the reason I like Motorcade most is how well it does both those things.

Yeah, Motorcade just does everything so well. Really wished Somapolis could have gotten some more buzz when it came out last year. It got delayed and then dropped towards the very end of the year. It's one that they clearly put a ton of work into making a really complete and detailed album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3553 on: February 24, 2024, 04:49:53 PM »
I don’t know that I have much to add to what I said in the roulette. Great band. Really loving Altitude especially (that closer!) but Stacking Smoke and My New Time are also excellent. It’s not especially complex or intricate music for the most part, but they create quite an evocative mood, write some strong melodies, and have had two great singers who create a very immersive sound. I quite like Summer’s End and Cold Comfort as well, though neither album is grabbing me as much as those other three. The debut is… really quite weak by comparison. :lol One of the biggest steps up in quality I’ve encountered between a debut and sophomore album. I’m aware this is one of your favourite bands, so thank you for bringing me on board!

Cold Comfort in particular I found to be the biggest grower over time.  I was underwhelmed with it on release, and it's still the weakest of the last four, but I think it really rewards additional plays.  They actually had a third (original) vocalist on their initial Samhain EP (and not counting the male growls on the first two full-lengths, their sound clearly wasn't as well-suited for those as other bands, so I'm glad they dropped them on My New Time).  Depending upon your production preferences that one is even a bit less polished, although they do take on some charm after awhile, with earlier versions of later songs.  I've never been able to locate the two in-between EPs (s/t and Spring Starts With Autumn). 

I also had noticed even before your roulette that you mildly/moderately liked Vetrar Draugurinn's The Night Sky.  They are in a ways a heavier and more doomy version of Autumn, with the same vocalist as the last three Autumn albums, but a different band.  It might be worth listening to Hinterlands and the I EP from them now that you have more of a foothold. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3554 on: February 24, 2024, 09:29:31 PM »
100% completely fair and accurate assessment of Sass. Try this if you really want something bluesy from her.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5fMNvUzmdAyK4i4w7XTPdS?si=OR154qhiT0ipDXSz3GXMiQ&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A0KxPVKVFJCfkSVu3PCB2lZ

JLB sang on the first Roswell Six album.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3555 on: February 25, 2024, 01:37:44 PM »

Cold Comfort in particular I found to be the biggest grower over time.  I was underwhelmed with it on release, and it's still the weakest of the last four, but I think it really rewards additional plays.  They actually had a third (original) vocalist on their initial Samhain EP (and not counting the male growls on the first two full-lengths, their sound clearly wasn't as well-suited for those as other bands, so I'm glad they dropped them on My New Time).  Depending upon your production preferences that one is even a bit less polished, although they do take on some charm after awhile, with earlier versions of later songs.  I've never been able to locate the two in-between EPs (s/t and Spring Starts With Autumn). 
Yeah the production on the debut is definitely a blocker for me, and even Summer's End - which sounds ok - lacks a little punch for my tastes. So I'm not particularly minded to seek out other early stuff of theirs. But I'm interested in your experience of Cold Comfort. I'll give it a few more listens to see if it grows on me.

I also had noticed even before your roulette that you mildly/moderately liked Vetrar Draugurinn's The Night Sky.  They are in a ways a heavier and more doomy version of Autumn, with the same vocalist as the last three Autumn albums, but a different band.  It might be worth listening to Hinterlands and the I EP from them now that you have more of a foothold. 
Interesting, yeah I guess I should give them another shot. Can't say I remember very much about that album, to be honest! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3556 on: February 25, 2024, 01:41:00 PM »
100% completely fair and accurate assessment of Sass. Try this if you really want something bluesy from her.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5fMNvUzmdAyK4i4w7XTPdS?si=OR154qhiT0ipDXSz3GXMiQ&context=spotify%3Aalbum%3A0KxPVKVFJCfkSVu3PCB2lZ

Her voice was evidently holding out pretty well 25-30 years later. Nice song too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3557 on: February 26, 2024, 06:21:48 AM »

Her voice was evidently holding out pretty well 25-30 years later. Nice song too.

Her looks too.

:drool:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3558 on: February 26, 2024, 09:21:56 PM »
Yeah the production on the debut is definitely a blocker for me, and even Summer's End - which sounds ok - lacks a little punch for my tastes. So I'm not particularly minded to seek out other early stuff of theirs.

Yeah, I certainly wouldn't expect you to be (especially at this point).  That took years to get to that point for me, after I'd been squeezing every last drop out of the later albums.  I go back to the first two full lengths on occasion primarily because I really like Nienke's voice.  The last four are where it's really at for me.  They take their time these days, but a new album is in process and could come as early as later this year depending on how things go. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3559 on: February 27, 2024, 01:51:06 PM »
A few more!

lonestar: TRiDENT
Loving this band. You really did just send better and better stuff over the course of this roulette. They only have the one full-length release, which is what you sent songs from, and it’s great. Pretty straightforward stylistically - hard rock with J-pop sensibilities - but it’s just so full of energy and catchy hooks it’s impossible not to enjoy. They’ve done a bunch of EPs and 3-track “singles” since then and these are all at least as good. One of them, D-X, I’m pretty sure is my favourite. If I have one thing I’d have preferred on Advance Generation it would have been a little more variety of sounds and styles, and that’s exactly what this EP offers. Some of the electro-rock and funky pop infusions especially are right up my street, all while still maintaining the energy and hooks that all their music has.

Luke: The Dirty Nil
You know, this is pretty enjoyable stuff. I stand by my rating overall - it doesn’t quite reach the 4 stars mark - but there are some cool songs. I went with the two albums you sent songs from. I gather from RYM that Free Rein to Passions is broadly in line with their usual style, while F*ck Art (censored simply for anyone reading who hasn’t switched off DTF’s word censoring!) is a simpler pop punk style. To be honest, I prefer the latter. The slightly more post-hardcore/garage punk of Free Rein is pretty cool but most of the songs are not really very interesting. F*ck Art is just a lot more fun, and has a few songs (like those two I mentioned from your submission that reminded me slightly of Frank Turner) that have a bit of an emotional hook, as well as a decent melodic one.

Luoto: Foscor
So, my feelings on the album as a whole are pretty much exactly the same as the selection you sent from it. It’s a cool sound that’s difficult to pin down, which makes it interesting to listen to. The whole moody vibe is quite engaging too, which I like. But melodically it’s very dense and it’s not really growing on me much other than a few segments of songs here and there. Altars is still the best thing on here and was nice to hear again in the context of the album, actually quite digging that song. But unfortunately nothing else on the album feels particularly essential to my listening.

nick_z: Saviour Machine
Their debut is pretty much what I expected really, based on the songs you sent which on the whole are among the better ones from it (though Killer is another standout, a very interesting song and the cacophony towards the end is kind of captivating). It has a great vibe and Clayton has a great voice, but it does feel a little dated coming to it now. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just don't find enough of the songs to be interesting enough. Some really good ones though, for sure. At your suggestion I tried their second album too, which I've also enjoyed. Definitely a bit more variety and some experimentation which does make the overall experience probably a bit more my thing, although not all the experimentations quite work for me. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3560 on: February 27, 2024, 01:56:23 PM »
Luke: The Dirty Nil
You know, this is pretty enjoyable stuff. I stand by my rating overall - it doesn’t quite reach the 4 stars mark - but there are some cool songs. I went with the two albums you sent songs from. I gather from RYM that Free Rein to Passions is broadly in line with their usual style, while F*ck Art (censored simply for anyone reading who hasn’t switched off DTF’s word censoring!) is a simpler pop punk style. To be honest, I prefer the latter. The slightly more post-hardcore/garage punk of Free Rein is pretty cool but most of the songs are not really very interesting. F*ck Art is just a lot more fun, and has a few songs (like those two I mentioned from your submission that reminded me slightly of Frank Turner) that have a bit of an emotional hook, as well as a decent melodic one.

I can't really argue with any of that dude. Fuck Art is just a fun album and one that I can happily revisit any time. The album that proceeded it had a harder edge, and reminds me way more of The Flatliners, who are one of my favourite punk bands. I do like Nicer Guy from the latest record, but it just doesn't have as many good songs as FA.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3561 on: February 27, 2024, 02:04:13 PM »
I'm still astounded at your perseverance in checking out virtually everything sent in the roulette.  With numerous albums for most artists and presumably multiple listens to many of these albums, it has to have consumed well over half of your listening time since finishing the roulette, maybe even 3/4?  I'm definitely curious to see how deep you go into the artists from the EPs, that's practically another roulette's worth of material on its own. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 02:22:19 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3562 on: February 27, 2024, 02:04:39 PM »
I still have yet to dig into a lot of their stuff released since the full length, definitely need to. Their drummer is just off the hook good (honestly, all of the Jmetal drummers are top notch). I'm hoping they'll be the next band to follow in Nemophila and Hanabie's footsteps and branch out of Japan (along with Lovebites of course)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3563 on: February 27, 2024, 02:19:19 PM »
I'm still astounded at your perseverance in checking out virtually everything sent in the roulette.
You and me both. :lol

With numerous albums for most artists and presumably multiple listens to many of these albums, it has to have consumed well over half of your listening time since finishing the roulette, maybe even 3/4?
Not as much as 3/4, definitely. Probably around half or maybe a little more. I really do enjoy it though, and I focus my listening on either the stuff I'm struggling to decide how much I like (because I feel it requires more listens to give a fair assessment), or the stuff I'm really liking a lot (because I'm liking it so much, obviously). With lower scoring artists from the roulette I'm generally just giving an album or at most two a couple of listens, and sometimes giving up after the first or part-way through the second if it's clearly not my thing. But there have been some nice surprises!

I'm definitely curious to see how how deep you go into the artists from the EPs, that's practically another roulette's worth of material on its own. 
Haha yeah very true. I don't expect to do every artist for that one, I'll be more selective. My v7 roulette was the first time I checked out every artist afterwards but that didn't have an EP round.

I still have yet to dig into a lot of their stuff released since the full length, definitely need to.
Yeah most of it is more of the same (not a bad thing), especially the first few EPs/singles after Advance Generation. I think a couple of them may have even be re-workings of older songs they'd done under a different name. D-X and the latest EP have a bit more variety of style/sound which I'm rather digging.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3564 on: February 27, 2024, 07:49:42 PM »

nick_z: Saviour Machine
Their debut is pretty much what I expected really, based on the songs you sent which on the whole are among the better ones from it (though Killer is another standout, a very interesting song and the cacophony towards the end is kind of captivating). It has a great vibe and Clayton has a great voice, but it does feel a little dated coming to it now. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just don't find enough of the songs to be interesting enough. Some really good ones though, for sure. At your suggestion I tried their second album too, which I've also enjoyed. Definitely a bit more variety and some experimentation which does make the overall experience probably a bit more my thing, although not all the experimentations quite work for me. :lol

Glad you had a chance to check out both the debut and II. The debut, for me, is truly one of those lightning-in-a-bottle kind of albums. It hits all the right notes. I can't get enough of songs like Carnival of Souls and Legion, but I love everything on it, really. I bought this back in '93, when I was discovering all sorts of new music and it was melodic, dark and dramatic at the same time. II is different and, yes, more experimental in a way. There's barely any rhythm guitar on it, but the lead work and the melodies are wonderful. I do agree it's a bit much overall, and the elements are not quite as balanced as before. Then, well, the band got a little too ambitious, I think, and embarked on this concept on the Apocalypse ("Legend"), spanning several albums (and never completed, because of Clayton's health issues). The concept itself took over the music, and everything became "heavy" and unwieldy. There are moments of brilliance scattered across the records, but they are not ones I revisit often.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3565 on: February 29, 2024, 04:49:16 AM »
Not sure if you've already listened to my submission from this round - dEUS.   As I notice you tend to listen to the albums that the submissions come from - I'd probably say the two albums you'd enjoy most are 'Pocket Revolution' and 'Vantage Point' (none of my submissions came from these albums  :facepalm:).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3566 on: February 29, 2024, 01:43:52 PM »
II is different and, yes, more experimental in a way. There's barely any rhythm guitar on it, but the lead work and the melodies are wonderful.
Interesting, I hadn't really picked up on that. Just goes to show that in the good stuff on there, nothing feels missing.

Not sure if you've already listened to my submission from this round - dEUS.   As I notice you tend to listen to the albums that the submissions come from - I'd probably say the two albums you'd enjoy most are 'Pocket Revolution' and 'Vantage Point' (none of my submissions came from these albums  :facepalm:).
Ah yes I definitely do, so that's good to know. On that basis I'll probably skip The Ideal Crash (as I wasn't too into the songs from that) but check out Keep You Close (as I really liked the title track from it) plus at least one of those other ones you recommend.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3567 on: February 29, 2024, 03:26:36 PM »
More updates!

Puppies: Mandroid Echostar
Really excellent band. Now that I’ve properly explored their stuff, I can hear more of the Coheed influence, and increasingly so with each release. I guess touring with them may have had an impact on their own sound. But I do still think the more dominant comparison is Protest the Hero. The first two EPs (assuming Citadels counts as an EP) are both just so good. Punchy, dynamic, exciting. Tight riffing, proggy exploration and some really strong hooks. Coral Throne doesn’t seem quite so strong - the production is muddier and some of the songs are a little… middle of the road maybe? - but it’s still a very solid album overall with a few great songs on it. I understand the singer had an issue with his throat/voice a while back and that seems to have gotten in the way of making more music, but it looks as though things might gradually be happening again which is cool.

Reaper: Black Map
Ok so this band has some influences and styles that I hadn’t really picked up from the songs you sent me. The dredg connection and a similar proggy alternative rock style is fairly prominent, but it doesn’t totally dominate. In particular there are songs where there’s a crunchier stoner rock sort of vibe, especially on their debut. It’s quite a cool mix. I wouldn’t say I’ve loved any of the albums I’ve been listening to (And We Explore, In Droves and the Trace the Path EP) but I like them all and they all have some great songs on. In Droves especially I wasn’t far off from giving 4 stars, but on repeat listens I ended up finding a bit too much filler. Still, it’s a solid album and I’m glad I checked this band out.

romdrums: Stabbing Westward
This didn’t surprise me, but the earlier stuff I’ve checked out is pretty good while the more recent album they did is great. The songs are generally quite compositionally straightforward and don’t have a ton of variety, so my enjoyment is quite reliant on the sound and the melodic hooks. The sound is cool in the earlier stuff - Darkest Days is the one I mostly listened to but I also dipped into a few songs from their first couple - and there are some good songs, but I’m not finding enough. Chasing Ghosts is a big step up though, for my tastes. The industrial rock sound is still there, but I do quite like that it sounds a little clearer and less grungy and 90s. :lol But there’s also more in the way of strong melodies and energetic delivery. The first half of the album is especially strong. It starts getting a little samey after a while, but it’s not a particularly long album and the quality still stays high throughout.

Sacul: The Microphones
Yeah I think this album is definitely a bit too lo-fi for my tastes. Don’t get me wrong, there’s some great stuff on here. Like I said in the roulette, the stuff that works reminds me a lot of Neutral Milk Hotel and has a very captivating emotional intensity. Most of the good stuff is concentrated in the songs you sent me though - there are other pleasant moments but little that really grabs me. Those first two songs are so good, but it does start to lose me after that and ends up being fairly hard work to get through. Interesting, definitely, but not something I feel particularly compelled to return to other than those first two songs. Also, I apparently completely failed to notice that this is the same guy as Mount Eerie but he just changed the name of the project he was releasing music under. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3568 on: February 29, 2024, 03:31:55 PM »
Mandroid Echostar is  :metal especially Citadels.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3569 on: March 01, 2024, 09:17:29 AM »
Yeah I didn't expect you to like that album beyond those tracks, I personally like it a lot without loving it. I think you might enjoy his record Microphones in 2020, a very nice 1-song thing, with an amazing music video and wonderful lyrics.