Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91775 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3500 on: January 17, 2024, 02:18:08 PM »
I'd bet good money you're probably the only other person on this board that'd appreciate Pineapple Kryptonite as much as I do. Such a fun tune.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3501 on: January 17, 2024, 02:18:47 PM »
yeah i didn't really care for the first BCNR album either and i was convinced i wasn't gonna like the second bcuz of that but it was quite a bit different & better

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3502 on: January 17, 2024, 02:24:06 PM »
I'd bet good money you're probably the only other person on this board that'd appreciate Pineapple Kryptonite as much as I do. Such a fun tune.

*Goes listen to the track*

that music video was...interesting and fun  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3503 on: January 17, 2024, 02:34:16 PM »
I like Sundfør of course, but I don't think I was particularly aware of you being a fan, so I guess that turns out to be a coincidence.  Honestly I was thinking more generally that the love needs to be spread around more, that there are other great synthpop groups than just say, CHVRCHES, who usually seem to do well in roulettes and inexplicably appeal to prog fans, although are curiously absent from your RYM.  So maybe they need to be one for next time, assuming Crow doesn't send them first again.   :facepalm:

"Wings" isn't quite in my upper echelon of favorites of Haerts, but it's a nice one as well.  That's a fun thing about people checking out other material from artists, to see them discover songs they perhaps like even better than ones you sent.  That happened with Heldal and Submotion Orchestra from your's that I can think of right offhand, for example. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3504 on: January 17, 2024, 03:10:03 PM »
yeah i didn't really care for the first BCNR album either and i was convinced i wasn't gonna like the second bcuz of that but it was quite a bit different & better
Yeah undoubtedly.

Read a bit about them and it's a bit weird that, since the lead singer (who I gather was also the primary lyricist) left for mental health the band are not playing any of their previous songs at all live. So they got known, got lots of critical acclaim, and then did a tour (as support act) but only play new unheard material which they eventually released a recording of. I'll give it a listen at some point but what a strange situation.

*Goes listen to the track*

that music video was...interesting and fun  :lol
:lol Yeah it's a weird one for sure.

I like Sundfør of course, but I don't think I was particularly aware of you being a fan, so I guess that turns out to be a coincidence.  Honestly I was thinking more generally that the love needs to be spread around more, that there are other great synthpop groups than just say, CHVRCHES, who usually seem to do well in roulettes and inexplicably appeal to prog fans, although are curiously absent from your RYM.  So maybe they need to be one for next time, assuming Crow doesn't send them first again.   :facepalm:
Yeah I don't know if I've ever listened to any CHVRCHES. Definitely an option for my next roulette, whenever that might be.

"Wings" isn't quite in my upper echelon of favorites of Haerts, but it's a nice one as well.  That's a fun thing about people checking out other material from artists, to see them discover songs they perhaps like even better than ones you sent.  That happened with Heldal and Submotion Orchestra from your's that I can think of right offhand, for example. 
All very true, although I didn't mean to imply that Wings was my favourite that I liked more than what you'd sent. I do love it, but perhaps on a par. I offered it as an example of how engaging and familiar sounding much of that album is, such that I thought I'd heard Wings from your submission but hadn't.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online HOF

« Reply #3505 on: January 17, 2024, 03:24:05 PM »

HOF: The Clientele
While it doesn’t have my favourite of the songs you sent, I decided to give Strange Geometry a go because, of all the albums you sent something from, it seems to be their most popular. And it’s rather nice, if not really elevated above what I thought of your submission (a little more jangly than I tend to like). I do think Impossible was an odd choice, at least as far as my tastes are concerned. As I said at the time, I’m not keen on the off-key vocal stylings. But thankfully there’s little of that on the album and it’s mostly along the lines of the songs I preferred. Standouts are probably My Own Face Inside the Trees, When I Came Home From the Party, and oddly enough Losing Haringey (having grown up in north London myself).

Yeah, I imagine The Clientele are just not going to be for you. I think there is only one album of theirs I would rank above Strange Geometry, and then only just barely. They have a number of tracks in the vein of Losing Haringey though if that spoken word type of approach interests you (and it wasn't just the reference to the locality).

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3506 on: January 17, 2024, 03:31:06 PM »
They have a number of tracks in the vein of Losing Haringey though if that spoken word type of approach interests you (and it wasn't just the reference to the locality).
In this case I think it was a bit of both. I've heard spoken word stuff I don't like at all, like some artists who just mumble about nothing very interesting, but sometimes it can really resonate with me. I love Public Service Broadcasting for example - their use of spoken word samples is very evocative and well matched to the music. With Losing Haringey, the locality helped for sure but there was still something intriguing about it as well that I enjoyed. So by all means do suggest others and I'd be happy to check them out.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3507 on: January 17, 2024, 04:31:13 PM »
Re: Bobby Plant... it's as good as I could have hoped for.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3508 on: January 17, 2024, 04:38:08 PM »
Rich try Joe Jackson Night & Day. I bet you'd like it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3509 on: January 17, 2024, 05:27:04 PM »
Fun fact about Pineapple Kryptonite... Both the song and video were produced in collaboration with Money Mark of Beastie Boys fame.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3510 on: January 17, 2024, 05:27:41 PM »
Fun fact about Pineapple Kryptonite... Both the song and video were produced in collaboration with Money Mark of Beastie Boys fame.

SAY WHAAAAT?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3511 on: January 17, 2024, 05:53:29 PM »

SAY WHAAAAT?

Yup, he's even in the video

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3512 on: January 17, 2024, 06:03:15 PM »
Damn. I will YouTube it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3513 on: January 17, 2024, 06:04:10 PM »
He's driving the car I do believe

Just  checked, he's the hitchhiker
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 06:10:11 PM by lonestar »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3514 on: January 17, 2024, 07:48:03 PM »
Rich, Mr. Reality is oop but I have the CD if you would like a ripp? Its out of print so I assume it's ok to offer you a copy? Let me know, my pleasure. On another note please have a look at the trades thread.. Maybe you can help me? There's a dude on RYM that has the cd, user is "Metalhaven"....

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3515 on: January 17, 2024, 08:54:57 PM »
Agreed, Empires Never Last is where it's at with Galahad.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3516 on: January 18, 2024, 06:24:29 AM »
Agreed, Empires Never Last is where it's at with Galahad.

Can confirm.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3517 on: January 21, 2024, 01:45:08 PM »
Rich, Mr. Reality is oop but I have the CD if you would like a ripp? Its out of print so I assume it's ok to offer you a copy? Let me know, my pleasure. On another note please have a look at the trades thread.. Maybe you can help me? There's a dude on RYM that has the cd, user is "Metalhaven"....
That's very kind of you - and yes I don't have an issue when it comes to things that are literally impossible to buy or even stream anywhere. I ended up ripping the Youtube playlist. Quality seems good enough I think.

Which trades thread do you mean? I'm not really up on trade stuff to be honest.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3518 on: January 26, 2024, 03:06:26 PM »
A few more from round 5 - an extremely strong set, with one slight exception. I'll try and do batches of six from now on if I can!

Luoto: Sisare
I’ll be honest, when I came to check out Leaving the Land, I couldn’t really remember anything about it from the roulette other than it was a rare non-metal submission of yours. :lol In my defence it was months ago and there was a lot of music! I can sort of see why it happened as there’s not too much that’s distinctive about it, but damn is it some nice stuff. Moody, melancholy prog with elegant guitar work. Kind of reminds me of bands like Soen and Katatonia, without really going as “metal” as those bands occasionally get. Great album. The debut is ok, but much weaker. The elements of the sound are there but they don’t really hang together too well, and the songwriting is pretty bland.

nick_z: Kent
Interesting band, and odd that I’d never even heard of them considering how huge they apparently are in Sweden. Unsurprisingly I really like their stuff. The three albums you sent songs from are undoubtedly the strongest. There’s a sense of energy, melody and emotion on them that’s just really engaging. Definitely aligned with British indie from a similar era, but imbued with a bit more warmth which is fab. Hagnesta Hill and Du & Jag Döden definitely the favourites (and I do prefer listening to the English version of the former), but Vapen & Ammunition grew on me loads too. I went a couple of albums either side of that 3-album run as well, and they were all good but none grew on me in quite the same way. The earlier stuff is a little less refined and the hooks aren’t as strong. The later stuff moved into more of a synthpop vibe which could have absolutely been up my alley (see my review of Haerts, for example), but I don’t feel it really fit their writing style.

Puppies: Kiss Kiss
Man, The Meek Shall Inherit What's Left is such a trip and might be a contender for my favourite album to come out of this round (along with Haerts’ debut, although I still have a few more artists to check out as well). Everything I said about your submission applies to the album as a whole. A vibrant and slightly chaotic fusion of a bunch of different (generally related) genres and styles with an emotional darkness to it that’s incredibly compelling. Definitely worthy of winning the round and indeed achieving the best score in the roulette. Their debut was great too; hasn’t captured me quite as much so far, but all the same elements are there and it’s also excellent. Shame they only made two albums.

Reaper: KOAN Sound
You prompted me to revisit some of this duo’s stuff that I’d already heard, and I think I was sleeping on them a bit. I already liked the Dynasty EP, but the couple of other releases I’d heard hadn’t quite done it for me and I’d stopped exploring. I checked out the two EPs you sent tracks from, and loved Intervals Above. Silk Wave wasn’t an interesting overall, although Grounded is a very catchy tune. I then revisited the Sanctuary EP and I’ve honestly no idea why I wasn’t so keen on it before because it’s great. Possibly I was getting into the dubstep stylings more at the time and the atmospheric approach on it had appealed less. Anyway I discovered a couple of their other earlier EPs (Funky Blaster and Adventures of Mr Fox) plus a handful of other individual tracks that I also really dig. Neither of their LPs interests me as much, but a bunch of great EPs is still a pleasing find.

romdrums: Imogen Heap
I really liked all the songs you sent me, so I just dived into all three albums they came from and they’re all excellent. Speak For Yourself was immediately appealing and probably remains my favourite, it just has such a wonderful richness and creativity throughout. Hide and Seek is probably my favourite song of hers so far. Ellipse and Spark needed a couple of listens but they really grew on me too, great stuff. All three albums definitely benefit from listening on headphones or otherwise in a quiet setting, there’s a lot of nuance in the composition and production. Her debut is alright but less interesting - the creativity and experimentation was there but it feels less grounded and engaging, without too much in the way of good melodic hooks.

Sacul: George Clanton
So yeah there’s some cool stuff here, but also stuff that’s not really to my tastes. I’ll start with his collaboration with Nick Hexum first, as that contained my favourite track from your submission. This is generally very good stuff - it has the vaporwave vibe but the production is slick and the music is pretty interesting for the most part. Out of the Blue is probably the best track on here and not everything is exciting, but a nice album I wouldn’t object to returning to again. For his solo material I gave Slide a go, and it wasn’t really my thing. The songs you sent were among the best and I wouldn’t say I loved those - as I said at the time, a little too much going out of tune, and that sort of thing is even more prominent in some of the other tracks. Not bad, just not really my thing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3519 on: January 26, 2024, 03:19:02 PM »
Her debut is alright but less interesting - the creativity and experimentation was there but it feels less grounded and engaging, without too much in the way of good melodic hooks.

That one is kind of jarring coming from the later albums.  More in an Alanis Morissette or aggressive Tori Amos sort of vibe.  But "Come Here Boy" and "Angry Angel" were ones I couldn't get out of my head when I first heard it. 

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3520 on: January 26, 2024, 09:13:59 PM »
That's fair, those albums certainly have some elements that can be a little annoying but I love them anyway.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3521 on: January 27, 2024, 12:42:57 AM »
:2metal:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3522 on: January 27, 2024, 03:37:44 AM »
It was a shame Kent only made two of their albums in English, I do like the Swedish albums a lot but they are harder to love when you don't understand them.  Obviously I'm aware of how selfish and little Englander that sounds  ;D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2024, 06:41:19 AM by soupytwist »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3524 on: January 27, 2024, 07:01:53 AM »
It was a shame Kent only made two of their albums in English, I do like the Swedish albums a lot but they are harder to love when you don't understand them.

One of my favorite things about lyrics being low on my list of priorities, it opens up so many possibilities. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3525 on: January 27, 2024, 08:20:39 AM »
I'm not sure when you checked out KOAN but they released a standalone album called "Led By Ancient Light" https://open.spotify.com/album/7kh3mjpP4qo8wU9b33LGfF?si=aBnu4CB3T7mmysulgNvKog

A really interested sounding record and it feels like it's a different step and styling from their older work.

Online nick_z

« Reply #3526 on: January 28, 2024, 02:19:22 PM »

Interesting band, and odd that I’d never even heard of them considering how huge they apparently are in Sweden. Unsurprisingly I really like their stuff. The three albums you sent songs from are undoubtedly the strongest. There’s a sense of energy, melody and emotion on them that’s just really engaging. Definitely aligned with British indie from a similar era, but imbued with a bit more warmth which is fab. Hagnesta Hill and Du & Jag Döden definitely the favourites (and I do prefer listening to the English version of the former), but Vapen & Ammunition grew on me loads too. I went a couple of albums either side of that 3-album run as well, and they were all good but none grew on me in quite the same way. The earlier stuff is a little less refined and the hooks aren’t as strong. The later stuff moved into more of a synthpop vibe which could have absolutely been up my alley (see my review of Haerts, for example), but I don’t feel it really fit their writing style.

As (I think) I mentioned to you before, my story with the band  is a bit weird...I first heard about them with their Hagnesta Hill album, as it had some recognition in the rest of Europe when it came out and around that time I enjoyed that sound a fair bit. I didn't really follow anything else they did after that (or knew what they'd done before) for a while - until I randomly came across an interview with the guys from Katatonia where they mentioned they were big fans of the band. I don't remember exactly when that was, but shortly thereafter I found a used copy of Du & jag döden, which I snatched. The opener of that album, which I sent you, is such a wonderful melancholic pop song. Overall, that whole album is the one the fits the best with my musical taste, that way.

Anyway - I fully agree with your assessment...glad that our tastes aligned in terms of the albums I sent songs from  ;)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3527 on: January 29, 2024, 07:46:48 AM »

As (I think) I mentioned to you before, my story with the band  is a bit weird...I first heard about them with their Hagnesta Hill album, as it had some recognition in the rest of Europe when it came out and around that time I enjoyed that sound a fair bit. I didn't really follow anything else they did after that (or knew what they'd done before) for a while - until I randomly came across an interview with the guys from Katatonia where they mentioned they were big fans of the band. I don't remember exactly when that was, but shortly thereafter I found a used copy of Du & jag döden, which I snatched. The opener of that album, which I sent you, is such a wonderful melancholic pop song. Overall, that whole album is the one the fits the best with my musical taste, that way.

Anyway - I fully agree with your assessment...glad that our tastes aligned in terms of the albums I sent songs from  ;)

Also worth noting the lead singer of Kent (Joakim Berg) has two writing credits on the latest Ghost album Impera (Kaisarion & Respite on the Spitalfields)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 08:29:56 AM by soupytwist »

Online nick_z

« Reply #3528 on: January 29, 2024, 07:58:24 AM »

Also weren't noting the lead singer of Kent (Joakim Berg) has two writing credits on the latest Ghost album Impera (Kaisarion & Respite on the Spitalfields)

Oh wow, I did NOT know that! Those are fantastic songs, by the way.

Thanks for the info, that is very cool to know…there sure are some talented songwriters in Sweden…

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3529 on: February 04, 2024, 06:37:24 AM »
Her debut is alright but less interesting - the creativity and experimentation was there but it feels less grounded and engaging, without too much in the way of good melodic hooks.

That one is kind of jarring coming from the later albums.  More in an Alanis Morissette or aggressive Tori Amos sort of vibe.  But "Come Here Boy" and "Angry Angel" were ones I couldn't get out of my head when I first heard it. 
Yeah not a bad album by any means, and with some very good moments. Just feels a bit embryonic and I prefer everything after once she'd refined her sound and style a little.

It was a shame Kent only made two of their albums in English, I do like the Swedish albums a lot but they are harder to love when you don't understand them.  Obviously I'm aware of how selfish and little Englander that sounds  ;D
The ones that don't have English versions I'm not finding any harder to love. Indeed Du & Jag Döden might inch out as my favourite. It's more that, where there is an English version, I liked both roughly equally but found the English one slightly easier to get into - knowing the language simply helps make the vocal lines more memorable.

I'm not sure when you checked out KOAN but they released a standalone album called "Led By Ancient Light" https://open.spotify.com/album/7kh3mjpP4qo8wU9b33LGfF?si=aBnu4CB3T7mmysulgNvKog

A really interested sounding record and it feels like it's a different step and styling from their older work.
Yeah one of their recent EPs was in that vein too. Big step up in terms of production and sound design, but it does feel like they're focusing on that at the expense of the music itself. While I appreciate it and I do think it's an interesting sound, I don't love the overall product. If they can combine the two qualities, that would be incredible.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3530 on: February 04, 2024, 06:38:34 AM »
ANYWAY here's the rest of the round 5 artists. Turned out a pretty cool round overall!

seneca: Unleash the Archers
Ok yeah, their last two albums are really good. I see them as mainly power metal, but with a good dose of more traditional heavy metal and elements of melodic death metal at times. Brittany Slayes has a fantastic voice and definitely gives the songs a lot of energy and charisma, but also there are just a lot of really enjoyable, catchy songs throughout both albums. Big sound, big melodies, big voice, great stuff. I checked out the two previous albums and, other than her voice, it’s almost a different band. There’s all the metal riffing and energy but there’s very little in the way of memorable hooks and they’re generally just not very interesting compositionally. Time Stands Still is weirdly thin sounding as well. I found both quite a chore to get through. Anyway looks like they’ve found their style and skill now so hopefully this means positive things for the future!

soupy: The Pierces
Unsurprisingly I started with You & I, being the album you mostly sent me songs from. It’s a great album, pop that’s simultaneously upbeat and a little cynical, with a really nice infusion of folk and soft rock. Lots of great, catchy hooks all over the album. Creation, their last one, is really nice too, maybe not quite as consistent but still with lots of great stuff. The earlier albums are nice, but haven’t really grabbed me other than a handful of songs on each. I like the quirkiness on Thirteen Tales, but not many of the songs are actually very interesting melodically unfortunately. Their first two and much more straightforward and perfectly pleasant, but again only a few songs are very engaging, the rest is all a bit middle of the road.

Stadler: Fleetwood Mac
While you didn't challenge for the title this time, you did a great job of increasing my interest in some classic acts I had limited experience with, and here's another good example. I went with the three albums you sent songs from, being the first three of the rebooted Buckingham/Nicks era, and there's some good stuff here. The self-titled is attractive, though suffers a bit from being a little too understated for my tastes. I could see some songs working great live, but on record they lack energy. Rumours though, I can see why it's their most popular. The energy is ramped and it's full of interesting and enjoyable songs. Great album. Tusk isn't really doing it for me unfortunately - the experimentation is cool I guess, but the album is very long and none of the 20 songs actually interest me much. Because I liked Rumours so much, I thought I'd check out their next highest rated albums on RYM, then

TAC: Dark The Suns
Sheesh, you really stretched the “light” theme in this round, didn’t you Tim? :lol As far as the music goes though, no surprise at all that it’s right up my alley. It’s melodic death metal with a gothic vibe, incredibly pretty melodically with a heavy dose of melancholy, and with lovely use of piano that’s very prominent in both the composition and the production. The general style isn’t at all original, but the way they use piano does give it a distinct flavour that’s really nice. Of their five albums, the only one that’s not really working for me is Sleepwalking in a Nightmare - the sound is quite thin and the writing is kind of… awkward? Not sure what was going on with that one. But the two before, and the two they’ve done since coming back are all very solid and really nice stuff.

Vmadera: Angel Vivaldi
I decided to try out two of the EPs you sent songs from to get a decent sense of his stuff. I hadn’t appreciated the range of influences in his stuff - there’s prog metal for sure, but also some power metal and melodeath as well. Both EPs are good, but I definitely found the same issue I often have with instrumental rock/metal, which is that it feels like it’s lacking something. The title Away With Words (I tried out part 1) is clever, but does kind of fit the vibe that these were written the same as vocal songs, just without the vocals. I don’t mind if the music either involves something exciting compositionally or has catchy hooks melodically, but for the most part neither really applies here. That said, each of the two EPs (I also tried The Speed of Dark) does have one slower track that bucks the trend. Sea of Heartbreak especially, but also . . . . ., they both have a gorgeous sound, lovely chord progressions and, like the rest, some great playing, and the emotional swells provide an engaging focal point that the rest lack.

wolfking: Blessed By A Broken Heart
Exactly as I expected, Feel the Power is an absolute blast of an album. To go back a bit though, this band have evidently got much better with each album. I ended up giving a partial listen to their debut (on Youtube as it’s not available on Spotify) out of curiosity, as its rating on RYM is incredibly low. Didn’t get far and didn’t feel motivated to listen enough to rate it properly, but it sounded truly awful. :lol Pedal to the Metal was a big step up and had many of the features of Feel the Power (including the vocalist), though they don’t really fuse together that well. Feel the Power is where they finally found their sound. The fusion of 80s glam metal and metalcore works so well on here - the songs are full of energy and intensity, but they are fun and cheesy and full of some insanely catchy hooks. I read that the singer has returned to the band, so I wonder if they’ll get back to making more music like this!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3531 on: February 04, 2024, 07:15:45 AM »
Blessed By A Broken Heart did release a couple of singles last year.  They were ok.  Feel the Power is a killer album.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3532 on: February 04, 2024, 07:18:57 AM »
TAC: Dark The Suns
Sheesh, you really stretched the “light” theme in this round, didn’t you Tim? :lol As far as the music goes though, no surprise at all that it’s right up my alley. It’s melodic death metal with a gothic vibe, incredibly pretty melodically with a heavy dose of melancholy, and with lovely use of piano that’s very prominent in both the composition and the production. The general style isn’t at all original, but the way they use piano does give it a distinct flavour that’s really nice. Of their five albums, the only one that’s not really working for me is Sleepwalking in a Nightmare - the sound is quite thin and the writing is kind of… awkward? Not sure what was going on with that one. But the two before, and the two they’ve done since coming back are all very solid and really nice stuff.

I can't say I love everything they've done, but I have a playlist of 8-10 songs that I absolutely love. I didn't love their latest album as the vocals were a tad too guttural for me. But the piano with the heavy riffs makes a really nice combination, and as long as I can agree with the vocals, it's something that I quite enjoy.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3533 on: February 04, 2024, 09:41:41 AM »
TAC and wolking are the types to bring a bazooka to a knife fight. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3534 on: February 04, 2024, 07:26:51 PM »
TAC and wolking are the types to bring a bazooka to a knife fight.

Huh?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.