Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 92060 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3465 on: November 28, 2023, 09:29:03 PM »
i haven't actually gone further back in vylet's catalogue than fairytails yet (which is THREE HOURS LONG AND I SAT THROUGH IT TWICE SO) but i probably will at, some point, there's just, so much music hhh

but yeah her last three albums are all real good. i actually have a pretty in-depth video on cutiemarks specifically so  :corn

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3466 on: November 28, 2023, 09:46:57 PM »
Yes!  Brymir are an excellent band with lots of great influences.  Voices is indeed their best album IMO.  Great discovery, I must say.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3467 on: November 29, 2023, 04:27:24 AM »
soupy: Fellowship
Why do I enjoy this so much? My experience with your submission is exactly the same with the full album. It’s far too cheesy for me. Surely? I mean come on. Why are these songs so catchy and fun? TIME FOR AN ADVENTURE. I honestly can’t explain it but for some reason I love this album.

Because it's Serotonin in music form!

I'm glad you've enjoyed the album, and amused at your bafflement as to why!  Haha.  I think it's maybe because it gets the balance of cheesiness and earnestness just about perfect.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3468 on: November 29, 2023, 08:30:50 AM »
Despite getting an identical score to death's dynamic shroud, this went in the opposite direction. The tracks you chose made sense for the roulette but I don't know if they're even my favourites, the whole of World Eater is just so good. Same with Animated Violence Mild, which is in much the same vein although with some nice distinguishers.

Interesting, Rhesus Negative and Hive Mind are definitely my two favorites from World Eater, but I also really like Please and Silent Treatment. You more into those?

And yeah the first four songs on Animated Violence Mild (ignoring the intro) are fucking bangers. Wish it ended a bit stronger, though.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3469 on: November 29, 2023, 09:08:37 AM »
i haven't actually gone further back in vylet's catalogue than fairytails yet (which is THREE HOURS LONG AND I SAT THROUGH IT TWICE SO) but i probably will at, some point, there's just, so much music hhh
I know right. I love Homeward too. Before that there's plenty of good stuff but for my tastes quite a bit of filler. Like, some tracks just do the chilled thing but lack energy, some just do the brostep thing but lack melody.

but yeah her last three albums are all real good. i actually have a pretty in-depth video on cutiemarks specifically so  :corn
I'll give that a watch at some point. :tup

Yes!  Brymir are an excellent band with lots of great influences.  Voices is indeed their best album IMO.  Great discovery, I must say.
:metal

I'm glad you've enjoyed the album, and amused at your bafflement as to why!  Haha.  I think it's maybe because it gets the balance of cheesiness and earnestness just about perfect.
I think there might be something in that. Like, the music is light and fun and cheesy, but it's not goofy. They don't seem to take themselves too seriously, but they do enjoy themselves. It's a nice balance.

Despite getting an identical score to death's dynamic shroud, this went in the opposite direction. The tracks you chose made sense for the roulette but I don't know if they're even my favourites, the whole of World Eater is just so good. Same with Animated Violence Mild, which is in much the same vein although with some nice distinguishers.

Interesting, Rhesus Negative and Hive Mind are definitely my two favorites from World Eater, but I also really like Please and Silent Treatment. You more into those?
I more meant that they didn't necessarily stand out, rather than they're explicitly not my favourites, if that makes sense. But yeah Silent Treatment is up there definitely, great tune.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3470 on: November 29, 2023, 10:54:12 AM »
Glad you dug the Black Queen album, I personally love it but I can see that some parts aren't super original tbh.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3471 on: November 30, 2023, 06:11:33 AM »
It was a foregone conclusion that Wet Ass Plutonium would be to your liking.  I mean honestly... anyone who likes/appreciates A Clear and Present Rager is just getting more of the same, yet better in W.A.P.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3472 on: November 30, 2023, 06:22:00 AM »
Totally understand that write-up on From Monument To Masses. I agree with some of your opinion on post-rock, I think that's why I like FMTM is because it feels a lot more digestible than say Explosions In The Sky.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3473 on: November 30, 2023, 08:36:24 PM »
nick_z: Eneferens
Wasn’t at all surprised by this, but The Bleakness of Our Constant is indeed an excellent album. Definitely one of the stronger one-man-bands out there. I sampled his two earlier albums as well (one fully, one only very briefly) and they really weren’t up to scratch. Less atmosphere, less melody, less crunch in the heavy sections even. Bleakness was back in 2018 so I wonder if he’ll make any more music - I hope so!

Nice! And I agree about the assessment of the latest vs. the previous records. Hopefully we'll hear more from him!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3474 on: December 13, 2023, 02:04:03 PM »
nick_z: Eneferens
Wasn’t at all surprised by this, but The Bleakness of Our Constant is indeed an excellent album. Definitely one of the stronger one-man-bands out there. I sampled his two earlier albums as well (one fully, one only very briefly) and they really weren’t up to scratch. Less atmosphere, less melody, less crunch in the heavy sections even. Bleakness was back in 2018 so I wonder if he’ll make any more music - I hope so!

Nice! And I agree about the assessment of the latest vs. the previous records. Hopefully we'll hear more from him!
Definitely, but it has been a few years now so who knows.

Anyway I've been getting better at making a few notes as I go through so this time I'm posting the first half of the round 4 artists. The rest will come... whenever I get through them. :P

Buddy & Evermind: Rivers of Nihil
Between you guys, you sent me half of Where Owls Know My Name. Considering you scored 8.3 and 8.4 respectively, it will surprise nobody that I really like the album a lot. In general what I’ve been finding with their stuff is that it really grows on me with a few listens. I found that with your submissions, then with the rest of the album, and then the same with The Work and Monarchy as well. Monarchy took slightly longer - I initially found more of the melody and atmosphere in the second half while the first half was quite full-on, and it felt a little unbalanced - but I got there and it’s top notch, and Suntold is such an epic closer. Their debut is the only one that I can’t get into.

Crow: Gospel
Yep Loser is as excellent as expected. You sent me the first half of the album and for sure that's the stronger half, every song is great, but the second half is really strong too. Still feels a little noisier and shoutier than I'd normally go for but it's very compelling stuff. Their debut is similar style and it's good, but less compelling. The intensity and sense of frustration is there, but there's less in the way of engaging melody and emotion.

Elite: Imperial Triumphant
OK so I appreciate you really going for it on the heavy theme, but this is just too dense and out there for me. There's the odd moment that I dig - Tower of Glory, City of Shame especially has some cool stuff in it, including a very effective intro, and there are some interesting jazzy influences at times (I'm surprised you didn't send me In the Pleasure of Their Company) - such that I wouldn't say I dislike the album overall. But those moments are too few and far between and the whole experience is just a bit relentless.

faizoff: Meshuggah
Based on the selection you sent and my previous experience with Meshuggah, ObZen is exactly what I expected. Which is to say that it's the best thing I've heard from them, and I'd even just about say that it's quite good. It's tight, intense and has a pretty engaging metal groove in the riffing. But the lack of melody (not necessarily in the vocals but even in the music) is always going to be a sticking point with their stuff, I think. There are a few moments that are a little more atmospheric across the album, but not really enough to compensate. That combined with the fact that the album is so samey in sound and intensity means I get incredibly bored of it by the end.

Glasser: Anima Tempo
You know, you were a little unlucky with the timing for this one because Chaos Paradox wasn’t quite out yet. And so while you sent a single from it along with a song from their debut, I think you’d have scored a little higher if the new album had been out and you’d only sent songs from it. It’s pretty consistently excellent and there’s a range of influences in there - some djenty stuff for sure but also tech death influences as well, along with more traditional prog metal too. Great album. Caged in Memories is still good and a solid debut, but it’s definitely not as interesting.

HOF: Marathon
Yeah this is some nice neo-prog that doesn’t necessarily excite me but it’s definitely a good album. I understand why you sent it for the heavy theme - as neo-prog goes it’s quite riffy - but if anything some of my favourite moments on the album are the mellower and more melancholy ones. Open Field especially (which you included but I think stands out a little more within the album) is lovely and probably my favourite on there. There are similar moments in some of the other songs (like Patterns of the Landscape) that are very nice too.

jingle: Triosphere
Yeah this is great stuff. All three albums are pretty much what I expected, which is no bad thing. Onwards is the most straightforward and took the longest to grab me, but it’s a cool blend of power metal and traditional hard rock and is sold by some solid hooks and her big voice. The two albums since have amped up some of the more proggy and symphonic elements which suits my tastes nicely - I definitely dig the grand vibe from those albums and the hooks are if anything even stronger.

King: Sevendust
I checked out two of the albums you sent songs from - Seasons and Chapter Vii - and overall they're pretty much what I expected really. Maybe a little less nu metal and more alternative metal in sound, especially on Chapter VII. Like many of their contemporaries, there's quite a bit of filler on both albums. But there are some really good songs too. Seasons starts very strongly for example, the first two tracks are excellent, it's just that the album gets a little samey after a while. Nice stuff though and good to fill in this odd gap in my knowledge of music from my formative rock and metal years!

Litho: Mercenary
From 11 Dreams onwards, this band has been ridiculously consistent. Even Metamorphosis which seems to be less popular among fans - possibly because of its slight metalcore influence - is excellent. Now that I’ve heard more of their stuff, I can definitely hear very strongly the Scar Symmetry comparison you made, although I agree there’s a slightly different vibe for the most part. I can also hear a bit of Soilwork at times, and yeah In Flames too especially in the earlier albums. All really great stuff though, thanks for introducing me to them!

lonestar: Hanabie
Similar to Saiseiga, this is another band that got even better with their second album, although I like Hanabie’s debut a little more than Saiseiga’s. Pretty much what I said in my original write-up really - I really dig the genre-bending here between pretty intense metalcore and cutesy pop. The first album is still great but the fusion isn’t that pervasive and I do still feel most of the songs are straight-up metalcore with the odd poppy intro or bridge. The second album definitely has more overlap and it’s a ton of fun. Great stuff.

Luke: Worm
I gave Bluenothing a good go and it was pretty much what I expected really. I quite liked it but it’s definitely a mixed bag. In some ways it works quite well as an EP - with that final song in the middle, it has a certain feel and mood to it, within which the songs make sense. On the other hand, that last song isn’t nearly as good as Shadowside Kingdom which is still the best thing here. Anyway it’s pretty cool but not the sort of thing I feel compelled to come back to.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3475 on: December 13, 2023, 02:23:22 PM »
Even Metamorphosis which seems to be less popular among fans - possibly because of its slight metalcore influence

The rating disparity there has always puzzled me.  The metalcore influence had already started to come in on Architect of Lies when Rene joined as doing co-lead vocals.  It's more obvious when he's the sole lead vocalist on Metamorphasis, but that's true of the next two as well.  I still chalk it up to an initial backlash against half the band quitting, I personally don't see a huge difference in quality or style between the last three. 

Offline HOF

« Reply #3476 on: December 13, 2023, 02:35:18 PM »

HOF: Marathon
Yeah this is some nice neo-prog that doesn’t necessarily excite me but it’s definitely a good album. I understand why you sent it for the heavy theme - as neo-prog goes it’s quite riffy - but if anything some of my favourite moments on the album are the mellower and more melancholy ones. Open Field especially (which you included but I think stands out a little more within the album) is lovely and probably my favourite on there. There are similar moments in some of the other songs (like Patterns of the Landscape) that are very nice too.

Feels like back in its day it would have appealed to fans of DT, Fates Warning, and Marillion, but I don't think it made much noise outside of the Netherlands.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3477 on: December 13, 2023, 02:41:54 PM »
Reborn Superstar is such a fantastic album, probably my #4 for the year. And their love show was insane, one of the most brutal shows I've been to, the whole floor of the Whisky was going all out. Also, the singer dove off the stage right into my arms...

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3478 on: December 13, 2023, 03:05:34 PM »
Monarchy took slightly longer - I initially found more of the melody and atmosphere in the second half while the first half was quite full-on, and it felt a little unbalanced - but I got there and it’s top notch, and Suntold is such an epic closer.

Interesting, I should give it another try at some point. I think I've put it on a couple times but never finished it - if it's a back-heavy album then maybe I've been missing out!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3479 on: December 13, 2023, 03:07:56 PM »
:fistpump:

All three Triosphere albums are indeed bangers, and Ida's voice is exactly as you describe - powerful.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3480 on: December 13, 2023, 03:56:55 PM »
Even Metamorphosis which seems to be less popular among fans - possibly because of its slight metalcore influence

The rating disparity there has always puzzled me.  The metalcore influence had already started to come in on Architect of Lies when Rene joined as doing co-lead vocals.  It's more obvious when he's the sole lead vocalist on Metamorphasis, but that's true of the next two as well.  I still chalk it up to an initial backlash against half the band quitting, I personally don't see a huge difference in quality or style between the last three. 
Yeah for sure. I mean, I noticed a slight shift, but it wasn't that big. And true with the next two although the sound is slightly slicker which might have helped. Anyway I like it all so whatever. :lol

Monarchy took slightly longer - I initially found more of the melody and atmosphere in the second half while the first half was quite full-on, and it felt a little unbalanced - but I got there and it’s top notch, and Suntold is such an epic closer.

Interesting, I should give it another try at some point. I think I've put it on a couple times but never finished it - if it's a back-heavy album then maybe I've been missing out!
Yeah I thought that was going to be the case for me too. I always like to finish an album though, unless I'm really just not into the whole sound at all. And each time I did I enjoyed the stuff towards the end enough to give it another shot and after a while it clicked. I still much prefer the second half to the first half though.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3481 on: December 13, 2023, 03:59:05 PM »
I must not have sent anything that round.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3482 on: December 13, 2023, 04:01:34 PM »
I must not have sent anything that round.  :lol
That was only the first half, you're second half in alphabetical order. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3483 on: December 13, 2023, 04:58:59 PM »
As long as you dig the new Anima Tempo the score doesn't matter. I enjoy turning people on to stuff and I love getting recommendations as well.  :metal

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3484 on: December 13, 2023, 06:45:38 PM »
Rich, seeing Sevendust live this fall made me dive deep into them again. It was 22 years since I saw them live.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3485 on: December 14, 2023, 03:19:39 AM »
As long as you dig the new Anima Tempo the score doesn't matter. I enjoy turning people on to stuff and I love getting recommendations as well.  :metal
:metal

Rich, seeing Sevendust live this fall made me dive deep into them again. It was 22 years since I saw them live.   
That's really cool, I've had similar recent experiences digging back into artists I hadn't been into for years.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3486 on: December 16, 2023, 05:36:25 PM »

They are amazing live! I saw them over 20 years ago and the place was nuts. I literally had to go stand in the back because the pit was insane. " Home" is still my favorite album although "Animosity" is a very close second.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3487 on: December 16, 2023, 08:06:41 PM »
jingle: Triosphere
Onwards is the most straightforward

Interesting that the album with the 13 minute epic is the "straightforward" one.   ;D   You probably mean the other tracks though mostly.  The bigger difference I notice is the more unrefined production, which is what drew more of the old-school USPM fans to them in the first place. 

King: Sevendust
overall they're pretty much what I expected really. Maybe a little less nu metal and more alternative metal in sound...Seasons starts very strongly for example, the first two tracks are excellent, it's just that the album gets a little samey after a while.

This is a little painful to read.  He probably should have sent something from Animosity, which I consider their best and most varied album (I think Nick agrees?) but even on Seasons there aren't many bands of their broad style that can pull off something as aggressive as "Suffocate", something as mellow and pretty as "Skeleton Song", and also something as melodic and groovy as "Broken Down".  Interestingly, if you liked the first two tracks, you liked "Enemy", which is one of their more nu-metally songs as a single and had them lumped in that genre (though I think it's still a good song). 
« Last Edit: December 16, 2023, 08:19:39 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3488 on: December 16, 2023, 08:23:47 PM »
Animosity is my favorite album and the 1st time I saw them live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3489 on: January 03, 2024, 05:57:39 AM »
Behold the rest of the round 4 artists!

Luoto: Kalmah
I mean, yeah this was a pretty safe bet and an odd gap in my collection. As a long-time fan of Bodom (their early albums and final one at least) and a lot of other Finnish melodic death metal, the general style here is definitely something I enjoy. I wouldn’t say every album feels that strong, and I did end up checking them all out. The first two are weaker - Bodom-esque but without the rich melody that made those interesting. Swampsong is much stronger melodically, and then Black Waltz steps up again in terms of sound production. Next couple of albums don’t quite work for me - 12 Gauge seems popular according to RYM but something about it just feels a little off to me - but then the latest three albums have all been top notch again. Probably a bit early to pick out favourites, but the stuff that’s speaking to me most so far is when they go a little more grand and/or symphonic.

nick_z: Descend
Ok I can hear more of the Opeth comparisons now. On The Deviant I still don’t think it’s that dominant, indeed there are some metalcore influences in there too, with moments that remind me a lot of BTBAM if less frenetic. But yeah I can hear more Opeth in their sound across the album, and especially on their earlier albums which to be honest aren’t as interesting - more derivative and less melodically engaging. The Deviant is excellent though, a great mix of influences to produce something coherent and compelling, and perhaps not as rich and atmospheric as Opeth but still great.

Puppies: Lykathea Aflame
This isn’t really doing it for me unfortunately. Everything I said about your submission applies to the whole album - I enjoy some of the more melodic bits but the unintelligible grunting isn’t my thing and the juxtaposition of such an intense sound with a melodically bright and upbeat tone feels jarring. I’m not against the idea in principle but I don’t find the two blending together well here. A 3-song submission was interesting and engaging enough to enjoy but a full 60+ minutes does start to wear after a while. The atmospheric 10 minute closer was a nice way to finish though.

Reaper: The Paper Sons
So you sent me half this short album, and it’s probably the stronger half overall, but there’s nothing here I dislike. I realise now that this was their debut and it looks like they released an even shorter EP later that year, but haven’t made any more music since. Which is a shame, I wouldn’t say I love this album but it’s nice - alternative rock with some slightly post-hardcore influences here and there. Fall Apart is still the best song here. Definitely a strong debut and it’s a shame they never (so far anyway) expanded on the promise they showed here.

romdrums: Obsidious
Just the one album from these guys, and it’s excellent. Everything I said about your submission applies to the whole album. The tech death side of the music is done really well - tight riffing, great playing, big sound - and the big melodic choruses and prog metal side of things makes it all incredibly engaging and enjoyable to listen to. If anything I think I like the album as a whole even more than the selection you sent from it. Currently I’m giving it a 4 star rating but it’s at the higher end of that. I could potentially see it creeping up to 4.5 as I continue getting to know it better.

Sacul: Have A Nice Life
I’ve given Deathconsciousness a good go and on the whole I like it pretty much the same as I did the selection from it, although within that there have been some interesting dynamics. On one hand, a couple of the songs you sent are among the strongest on the album. Some of the others really do drag on a lot (and the album is way too long) and some just don’t interest me much, especially in the middle of the album. That said, there’s something about the vibe - the moody bleakness - that’s quite compelling. Songs like The Big Gloom and Hunter aren’t really my thing for the most part, but in context they actually work very well. Same with Bloodhail which I like more as part of the album. I don’t love it, but I find it really interesting and that’s one of the things I love about the variety of stuff I get sent in roulettes.

seneca: Dan Swanö
Not sure why I didn’t check Moontower out sooner. I guess he’s been so prolific in other bands that it was a little too overwhelming to know where to explore, so I’ve just waited for recommendations. Great choice for the first metal you’ve ever sent me, it’s an excellent album. The songs you sent are probably the best on here - especially Sun of the Night and Uncreation - but the rest is varying degrees of great too. Just like I found with your submission, the lack of clean vocals doesn’t even really register despite me knowing well (and loving) his voice. The blend of death metal and classic prog influences somehow works really well. Love it.

soupy: Dynazty
Incredibly consistent band. Especially from Renatus onwards, they’ve had this great mix of crunchy hard rock and cheesy epic symphonic metal. It’s terrific fun, and almost every song has a fantastic, catchy chorus. Honestly, none of these albums really stands out that much as they’re all great. The earlier stuff is more straight up hard rock. Sultans of Sin is cheesy as hell but also very good - can see them getting to these big, memorable hooks. Knock You Down was a bit more middle of the road, and the debut I only dipped into briefly and it didn’t grab me. But still that’s six albums in a row I really like.

Stadler: Mother Love Bone
I checked out the Shine EP, and yeah it was pretty much what I expected based on Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns. Which is to say that I quite like it, and there are elements throughout the four songs that appeal to me. I enjoy the groovy guitar work in Thru Fade Away, the bluesy energy of Mindshaker Meltdown and Half Ass Monkey Boy, and the first and last couple of minutes of the closer. But, as with your submission, there’s not much that really excites me and there’s something about the vocal lines that I just find pretty uninteresting.

TAC: Atropas
Black Gold is a very cool album. This band seems to be pretty obscure - only a handful of ratings on RYM for their first two albums, and Black Gold wasn’t even on there despite coming out four years ago (I’ve added it now). As I said in the roulette, definitely more metalcore than I’d expected from you. Even toys with post-hardcore at times, including that pretty epic cover of Thrice’s The Earth Will Shake. But there are moments here and there of melodic death metal too. It’s an interesting and enjoyable mix, and a strong album. I gave the album before, From Ashes, a go too, and that wasn’t nearly as good. A couple of good songs, but more straightforward and not very melodically interesting. Dipped briefly into their debut too and that sounded similar.

Vmadera: Fit for An Autopsy
This band is… quite intense. :lol I started with the two albums you sent me songs, and I wasn’t too sure at first. The first one I listened to was Oh What The Future Holds, their latest, and yeah the sound is huge but a lot of the songs didn’t really do it for me. On further listens it grew on me somewhat, but I still wouldn’t say I love it. The two songs you sent are great, along with Collateral Damage, but most of the rest is nothing special and it’s just very relentless. The Great Collapse, on the other hand, is excellent. Still relentless, but a little more open and varied tonally, and more of the songs have something big and melodic to hook onto. The Sea is Tragic Beasts is similar, and might even be my favourite. That’s two albums I’m adding to my very small deathcore collection! I carried on working backwards to Absolute Hope and it was very similar to the latest - three great songs and the rest not doing that much for me. I dipped a little into the album before, Hellbound, but it sounded pretty weak and monotonous so I stopped there.

wolfking: Wolfheart
Yeah I’ve no idea what I was thinking with my first impression for this band. As I said in another thread, probably my wrongest first impression ever. All six of their albums are excellent. Nothing very original about any of their stuff, but there’s a good mix of different melodic death metal influences and styles (some melancholy Insomnium here, some riffy In Flames there, and so on) and it’s all executed really well. My favourites are easily Shadow World (which you didn’t even send me anything from) and Constellation of the Black Light (which includes my favourite of the songs you sent), which are my favourite albums to come out of this round. But it’s all great stuff. Just surprised that Luoto has never sent them to me!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3490 on: January 03, 2024, 06:07:26 AM »
Vmadera: Fit for An Autopsy
This band is… quite intense. :lol I started with the two albums you sent me songs, and I wasn’t too sure at first. The first one I listened to was Oh What The Future Holds, their latest, and yeah the sound is huge but a lot of the songs didn’t really do it for me. On further listens it grew on me somewhat, but I still wouldn’t say I love it. The two songs you sent are great, along with Collateral Damage, but most of the rest is nothing special and it’s just very relentless. The Great Collapse, on the other hand, is excellent. Still relentless, but a little more open and varied tonally, and more of the songs have something big and melodic to hook onto. The Sea is Tragic Beasts is similar, and might even be my favourite. That’s two albums I’m adding to my very small deathcore collection! I carried on working backwards to Absolute Hope and it was very similar to the latest - three great songs and the rest not doing that much for me. I dipped a little into the album before, Hellbound, but it sounded pretty weak and monotonous so I stopped there.

Yeah, that's about what I get out of this band, a couple of great songs from each album, which is all i can ask for given the genre and style honestly  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3491 on: January 03, 2024, 06:12:36 AM »

Black Gold is a very cool album. This band seems to be pretty obscure - only a handful of ratings on RYM for their first two albums, and Black Gold wasn’t even on there despite coming out four years ago (I’ve added it now). As I said in the roulette, definitely more metalcore than I’d expected from you. Even toys with post-hardcore at times, including that pretty epic cover of Thrice’s The Earth Will Shake. But there are moments here and there of melodic death metal too. It’s an interesting and enjoyable mix, and a strong album. I gave the album before, From Ashes, a go too, and that wasn’t nearly as good. A couple of good songs, but more straightforward and not very melodically interesting. Dipped briefly into their debut too and that sounded similar.

So, Antropas is a perfect example of one of those albums that I would sample on a Friday New Release Day afternoon. I must've dropped the needle and heard something I liked, and Saved it. Many of these albums I don't really get back to, except for roulettes. I know Crow, who was running a roulette at the same time, likes songs in the 8-10 minute range, so I listened to Snow, and thought it would work. Yeah, I generally don't love the screamo vocals, but they were tolerable enough for me. I played it a number of times and felt like I could personally vouch for it, so I sent it and Crow liked it a lot.

So I thought I'd use it in yours as well, but then I had to find another song I was satisfied with. I think I went with Vacuum. I don't love the album, personally, but I've gone back to Snow a number of times and I think it's a great song despite a couple of rough vocal patches.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3492 on: January 03, 2024, 06:53:50 AM »
That's fair, I don't feel it drags at all, but I can see that being the case if you're not in that bleak mood. Curious about your thoughts on the last track, Earthmover - it's one of my favorite songs ever, and amongst the best album closers imo.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3493 on: January 04, 2024, 01:51:31 AM »

So, Antropas is a perfect example of one of those albums that I would sample on a Friday New Release Day afternoon. I must've dropped the needle and heard something I liked, and Saved it. Many of these albums I don't really get back to, except for roulettes. I know Crow, who was running a roulette at the same time, likes songs in the 8-10 minute range, so I listened to Snow, and thought it would work. Yeah, I generally don't love the screamo vocals, but they were tolerable enough for me. I played it a number of times and felt like I could personally vouch for it, so I sent it and Crow liked it a lot.

So I thought I'd use it in yours as well, but then I had to find another song I was satisfied with. I think I went with Vacuum. I don't love the album, personally, but I've gone back to Snow a number of times and I think it's a great song despite a couple of rough vocal patches.

Interesting, you did a good job of tapping into my tastes and I seem to have ended up liking that album more than you. :lol

That's fair, I don't feel it drags at all, but I can see that being the case if you're not in that bleak mood. Curious about your thoughts on the last track, Earthmover - it's one of my favorite songs ever, and amongst the best album closers imo.
Yeah it's a good closer. In general the album starts and ends well, it's mostly in the middle that I found it dragging.

I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3494 on: January 04, 2024, 02:16:22 AM »
Wolfheart is just reliable melodic death metal.  Im not sure if I can pinpoint a fav album.  They are just strong ànd solid across the board.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3495 on: January 04, 2024, 02:18:55 AM »
Re : Dynazty

You actually went further into their Discography than me.  I've only gone back as far as 'Renatus' and no further as a found that album weaker.  But Titanic Mass onwards are all very solid.  Never be one of my very favorites bands, but as you said very consistent though those 4 albums.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 02:24:33 AM by soupytwist »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3496 on: January 04, 2024, 02:25:39 AM »
Re : Dynazty

You actually went further into their Discography than me.  I've only gone back as far as 'Renatus' and no further as a found that album weaker.  But Titanic Mass onwards are all very solid.  Never be one of my very favorites bands, but as you said very consistent though those 4 albums.

They lost me after Renatus too but I really like the Dark Delight.  That one is indeed worth a listen.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3497 on: January 04, 2024, 05:04:31 AM »
Yeah... the last 3 albums have been very same-y, but in the way that a pepperoni pizza is very same-y - it's still pretty damned fine.  The run of SoS/Renatus/Titanic Mass is where it's at for me.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3498 on: January 04, 2024, 09:08:42 AM »
nick_z: Descend
Ok I can hear more of the Opeth comparisons now. On The Deviant I still don’t think it’s that dominant, indeed there are some metalcore influences in there too, with moments that remind me a lot of BTBAM if less frenetic. But yeah I can hear more Opeth in their sound across the album, and especially on their earlier albums which to be honest aren’t as interesting - more derivative and less melodically engaging. The Deviant is excellent though, a great mix of influences to produce something coherent and compelling, and perhaps not as rich and atmospheric as Opeth but still great.

:tup

Yeah, the album (and the band!) was quite a nice surprise that year...I had no prior knowledge, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I like that it's dynamic, and it's not afraid to take its time to develop ideas and play with different moods. In a way, that's exactly what Opeth does  ;) Good point on the metalcore influences, I didn't necessarily think of that, but even the main guitar lick in Blood Moon (one of my favorite things on the album, period!) could generally be placed in that category.

Haven't checked out their other stuff yet...

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3499 on: January 17, 2024, 02:13:20 PM »
First half of the round 5 artists!

Buddy: Della Zyr
I still have pretty mixed feelings on this artist, but I’ve definitely come around on her debut Vitamins and Apprehension (which for some reason is classified as an album whereas the follow-up is classified as an EP despite being a minute longer). The song from it was the one I was most interested in from your submission largely because the production was clearer and frankly more my thing, and that applies to the album. Shoegaze isn’t really a big genre for me but this album works - it’s undeniably pretty and the sound is very immersive. Nebulous You on the other hand is a bit lo-fi for my tastes, though I do still quite like it. Concerto is a really good song, and the title track has some nice bits. It’s a pleasant enough listen, I just find the sound a bit thin and the melodies aren’t as interesting as on the debut.

Crow: Black Country, New Road
Another one that hits the mark (at least in Ants From Up There), continuing to justify your victory. Much like the two songs I already knew, the album as a whole was a real grower. Some of it is quite dense and a little experimental, which aren’t bad qualities at all but can make music less immediate. And as I said before the vocal style isn’t something I’d normally go for. But a lot of the music is very attractive and emotive - enough to hook me in from the start and even more so to balance out the album now that I’ve got to know it better. Their first album is… quite a bit less good, in my opinion. The instrumental intro is great, and the second half of Sunglasses is pretty compelling, if a bit repetitive. But the rest ranges from a little on the dull side to, at times, actually kind of annoying to listen to. :lol

Elite: Kurt Rosenwinkel
I went with Reflections as the album to check out as it had the best coverage of the songs you sent, and my feelings towards it were very much the same as for your submission. It’s perhaps not hugely exciting, but it is incredibly attractive and laid back. My interest would typically be quite limited for something this muted, but it has a pleasant elegance to it. It’s jazzy but not overly taxing, and the combination of this with the laid back style makes some very easy listening. Probably not something I’d put on for a dedicated listen, but definitely the kind of thing that would be excellent music for, say, a dinner party.

Evermind: Galahad
Empires Never Last is, for sure, a strong bit of neo-prog. Like much of the genre, it’s not especially complex or intricate, but it has solid hooks and a good emotional edge that make it very engaging. There are also nice surprises, like the intro which is definitely a standout in some ways. I tried a few other albums based partly on RYM ratings, and I can see why that album has by far the most. Battle Scars was also good, and I almost liked it enough to want to get it, but while half of it is pretty great, the other half is a bit meh. Even more so with Beyond the Realms of Euphoria - …And Secret Worlds is fantastic but most of the album lacks something. I gave a good couple of listens to Year Zero and their latest too but nothing really stood out on either. Still, one great album and a few other great songs is not bad!

faizoff: Coldplay
I gave a good go at the two latest albums, which were the ones you sent songs from. While I didn’t love either overall, I definitely find their sound more interesting these days which seems to be against much popular consensus. I said in the roulette that I never thought they wrote interesting vocal melodies, but I find their overall sound more interesting and varied now. And there are a few good tunes on each. Coloratura is the obvious standout, but a couple of the weird emoji-titled songs are cool too, the heart one is an interesting choral piece while the infinity one has a great build up. It’s similar with a handful of songs on Everyday Life. So I’ll add those songs to my “best of” playlist for sure, but don’t see myself wanting to get the albums.

Glasser: Mr. Reality
Just the one album from these guys and it’s not exactly easy to find (as in, literally impossible), but I managed to find all the songs on Youtube so I made a playlist there. Really nice album, pretty straightforward rock with lots of use of acoustic guitars and vocal harmonies. The latter especially really makes the album what it is - they take what are generally pretty simple songs and give them a rich, vibrant feel. The songs you sent are probably among the best, but really the whole album is just great, with strong hooks and an upbeat feel.

HOF: The Clientele
While it doesn’t have my favourite of the songs you sent, I decided to give Strange Geometry a go because, of all the albums you sent something from, it seems to be their most popular. And it’s rather nice, if not really elevated above what I thought of your submission (a little more jangly than I tend to like). I do think Impossible was an odd choice, at least as far as my tastes are concerned. As I said at the time, I’m not keen on the off-key vocal stylings. But thankfully there’s little of that on the album and it’s mostly along the lines of the songs I preferred. Standouts are probably My Own Face Inside the Trees, When I Came Home From the Party, and oddly enough Losing Haringey (having grown up in north London myself).

jingle: Robert Plant
Robert Plant (and indeed Led Zep) have never quite captured my interest beyond the first folk album Plant did with Alison Krauss, and perhaps one or two Zeppelin songs. I don’t know that my mind is massively changed, but you sent me songs from two of his 90s albums (Magic Nirvana and Fate of Nations) so I checked them both out and they’re definitely not bad. As albums, I don’t know that enough of the songs hit my tastes, but more than anything else I’ve heard from his solo stuff, there’s a bunch of songs on each album that are really good, including the ones you sent me. I might make my own “best of” playlist at some point.

King: Joe Jackson
Hmm yeah my feelings on the songs you sent pretty much apply to the two albums of his that I checked out. Oddly enough, while I probably liked Be My Number Two the most from your submission, with its heartfelt warmth, the album it’s from - Body and Soul - really didn’t interest me at all. It’s like, aspects of the style are things I enjoy - the horns, the “funkiness”, but I just found that so little of the album has melodic hooks that really interest me, and I still find his voice pretty bland. His debut, Look Sharp, on the other hand, was a lot better and quite a nice surprise. Not a mindblowing album maybe, but a fun one for sure.

Litho: Haerts
Yeah, I love this group. Everything I said in my original write-up still applies, except overall I get less of a Susanne Sundfør vibe, especially after the debut. I think you’d leaned into certain aspects of their music that particularly hit my tastes and happened to remind me of her stuff, but there’s more variety of tone and style, which is no bad thing. The debut is definitely my favourite, pretty much every song I just find so lush and immersive, and it has that wonderful balance of poppy energy tinged with melancholy. The hooks are great too, some songs just felt really familiar - Wings, for example, I was convinced on first listen it was one you’d sent me. :lol The other two albums I’m finding maybe a smidge less consistently rich, but they’re both great still and have some cracking songs.

lonestar: Atarashii Gakko!
This is quite a bonkers band. They seem to reinvent themselves with each album or two. The EP you mostly sent songs from (which was their latest at the time of the roulette) is sort of experimental J-rock with some poppy infusions, and terrific fun. The latest EP, Maningen, is more straight up pop still with experimentation and great hooks. The EP before - Snacktime - is… not so good. :lol Pineapple Kryptonite is great fun but the rest is weirdly unmelodic and hard to get into, and I don’t see it growing on me. And then back to their first two full length albums which are more jazz-rock really, less poppy and less experimental in sound but quite intricate musically and again lots of great stuff. Really enjoying this band - not as special as Gacharic Spin but they definitely have some similar qualities that appeal to me!

Luke: Billy Talent
Not entirely sure how these guys passed me by the first time around, but I suspect it’s because they were a little later than, say, Green Day or the other pop punk/indie/alt rock bands I got into in my teens. By the time Billy Talent came around, I was more focused, as far as I can recall, on prog and power metal and a bit of thrash. Anyway, really good band. II is definitely their best, just such dynamic energy, great hooks and the right amount of theatricality to really hit my tastes. I knew a few of the songs already from your submission but loved most of the rest right away. I, III and Dead Silence I was less sure about at first - I is a little raw and the other two moved a little more into straightforward pop punk territory - but they all grew on me loads and have plenty of great songs. The latest two aren’t growing on me in the same way. In theory, they’re a similar style to the two before, but they’re not as catchy and, bar one or two great songs, don’t prompt much of an emotional reaction.

I be am boner inducing.