Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91482 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3430 on: September 14, 2023, 01:59:37 PM »
As I always said - the round one reappraisal result is where the real winner of the roulette is crowned.
I mean, in the long term, yes. :lol That was why I originally did album roulettes for v3-v5, but there's no way I could accommodate 24 of you if I was doing that. :lol

I was originally really disappointed in their follow-up album but it grew on me after a while. I was expecting it to be as big and heavy as Void Mother, but I eventually realized it's trying to be a more sparse, desolate-sounding album, which I think it does well enough.
Yeah I have no issue with the sound, I quite like the vibe, and I took a good few listens to make up my mind on the album. I think too much of it just moves a bit too slowly for me.

Yes The Omega Experiment needs to be heard in it's entirety. I did my best trying to represent it with a few tunes.
Yeah you did a very respectable job of it (especially if your first ever roulette round!). I don't think any particular selection would have been able to fully represent the album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3431 on: September 14, 2023, 02:09:45 PM »
yeah i've listened to the previous birds in row album and while it's good it's nowhere near as compelling as gris klein imo

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3432 on: September 14, 2023, 02:15:24 PM »
I picked up a pack of the first 6 KOK albums the other day.  Amarda and Kolossus is where it's at for me.  Didn't dig the first two either.  Haven't checked Reptillian yet and Epistemology was pretty interesting.  The new one is definitely very enjoyable too.  Can see how it's your fav.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3433 on: September 14, 2023, 02:28:21 PM »
Glad you liked some of the Kendrick songs at least, I think To Pimp a Butterfly is definitely a grower, such a cinematic record.

Buddy: Obscure Sphinx
This band is such pure Buddycore. :lol Nothing else seems quite as special as Presence of Goddess, but Void Mother as a whole is still pretty great. I've tried their other two albums but they're not quite doing it for me. The sound and style is still there, but while Void Mother builds this fantastic tension, the other two feel a little more plodding at times.

Sacul sent them to me, in all fairness. :biggrin: Void Mother is such a great album. I agree that Presence Of Goddess is the best song but that's not saying much, there's some other excellent songs on there too like Lunar Caustic and Waiting For The Bodies...

I was originally really disappointed in their follow-up album but it grew on me after a while. I was expecting it to be as big and heavy as Void Mother, but I eventually realized it's trying to be a more sparse, desolate-sounding album, which I think it does well enough.

Still waiting for that fourth album...
Such a great album indeed, I think I haven't given their other records much of a listen, but I might go remedy that soon :bangyerhead:

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3434 on: September 14, 2023, 03:15:03 PM »
I agree with you on the Moon Tooth bit. I actually liked there later albums a lot more because their songs had a lot more melody, it was only after a while did I go back and really click with their debut.

Mr. Morale is such a killer album.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3435 on: September 14, 2023, 03:39:38 PM »
I love the song Mother I Sober, but that's about it, I didn't really get into that record tbh.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3436 on: September 14, 2023, 05:14:16 PM »
That said, Arcane Rain Fell is excellent as well based on the three listens I've given it.

That tends to be one of their most popular ones (and has the highest RYM rating).  It's great, but is a bit too similar to the 90s tree of influences they come from for me.  Turning Season Within-Sovran have more melodeath influences and Katatonia-esque aspects.  Under a Godless Veil tries to turn the clock back a bit (including bringing back the original band font) and sounds somewhat in-between the eras. 

Yeah it's a good one - really nice chorus - but I don't know that it stands out all that much because the whole album is great, probably my favourite.

Ah, ok.  It's also mine, and will feature when I do my top 50 later. 

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3437 on: September 14, 2023, 05:53:38 PM »
nick_z: Lacrimas Profundere
Yeah this was a good shout. Bleeding the Stars is excellent, and the newest album is similarly great, just a really good blend of gothic metal and melodic death/doom metal. I did try the two albums before and there was some good stuff but they didn’t really grab me nearly as much. I also tried a couple of their older “classic” albums (Memorandum and Burning: A Wish) and felt the same way. Still, they’re on a good run now so I’m interested to see what they do next.

Agree with all of this. Despite the fact that I have always been a fan of the genre and this band has been at it for a long time, for some reason I've never quite warmed to much of their output. Listened to the occasional song/record here and there over the years, but not much more than that. But Bleeding the Starts really hit the spot. I mean, there's nothing terribly new on it, but it has excellent mixture of melody, melancholy and heaviness, and some interesting songwriting ideas amid the more straightforward songs. Very good vocals too, which is not always a given in gothic metal-adjacent records.

Glad you enjoyed it too!

That said, Arcane Rain Fell is excellent as well based on the three listens I've given it.

That tends to be one of their most popular ones (and has the highest RYM rating).  It's great, but is a bit too similar to the 90s tree of influences they come from for me.  Turning Season Within-Sovran have more melodeath influences and Katatonia-esque aspects.  Under a Godless Veil tries to turn the clock back a bit (including bringing back the original band font) and sounds somewhat in-between the eras. 

Yeah it's a good one - really nice chorus - but I don't know that it stands out all that much because the whole album is great, probably my favourite.

Ah, ok.  It's also mine, and will feature when I do my top 50 later. 

Count me in as preferring the output from Turning Season Within on...although I actually revisited Arcane Rain Fell a couple of days ago, and I very much enjoyed it. Songs like The Apostasy Canticle, Heaven Laid in Tears and The Abhorrent Rays (this one has some old-school Katatonia influence!) are excellent. The long closer is good (some parts are great), but maybe not fully justifying its 15-minute runtime...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3438 on: October 18, 2023, 06:37:42 AM »
I love the song Mother I Sober, but that's about it, I didn't really get into that record tbh.
Well it all worked out well anyway - I liked the stuff you love and loved the stuff you were less into. :lol

Anyway, where are the updates on round 2 artists I hear you all asking?

Buddy (round 2) and Crow (post-roulette EP): death's dynamic shroud
Transcendence Bot is a fanclub release but seemed like the obvious starting point, so I gave it a couple of listens on Youtube. And yeah you basically sent me the best tracks from it, in that they’re the only ones I really like much. :lol Over Again is almost another great one - the big harmonies in the chorus would have been so good - but it uses way too much of that out-of-tune styling that’s popular in some electronic music and which I do not really like. I also tried Darklife which Crow sent me post-roulette songs from, and similarly it’s a mixed bag - some really good stuff but quite a lot that doesn’t really grab me.

Crow: Gang of Youths
Another hit - that’s two for two so far. Angel in Realtime is my favourite - consistently great throughout - but Go Farther in Lightness also has a ton of great stuff too. Some of the songs feel more depressive individually, but across the albums there’s a real warmth and thoughtfulness with which the issues are addressed. I’ve also come around on their Let Me Be Clear EP which is very nice too. Tried the debut and it has many of the same qualities but just doesn’t really hook me in emotionally in the same way.

Elite: Chano Dominguez
So yeah, Estándares is a nice bit of flamenco jazz with some nice elegant arrangements and smooth playing. Doesn’t excite me that much and while I could enjoy pretty much any small selection of songs from this album, it doesn’t really hold my interest.

Evermind: The Wishing Tree
Pretty much what I said about the selection of songs you sent - Ostara is really straightforward and doesn’t really have much about it that would normally excite me, and yet I just find it such a pleasant and lovely listen. Their first album (from 13 years earlier) is nice too, but not as engaging and more what I would normally have expected my reaction to be.

faizoff: Nine Inch Nails
Yeah I suspect Nine Inch Nails may be one of those groups who - The Fragile aside - I really love the odd song from but can’t really get into other albums by. Both Hesitation Marks and the Add Violence EP have some great stuff on them, especially the songs you sent, but also a lot of stuff I have little interest in or even, occasionally, that I find grating.

Glasser: Legacy Pilots
Despite scoring the same as The Omega Experiment in the roulette, this hasn’t translated so well into a full album hitting my interests. There’s good stuff on Helix for sure but you definitely sent among the best stuff on the album. Some of it feels a little middle-of-the-road neo prog, and where it does experiment more (like the multi-track suites) I find it dragging somewhat. A good album, but not a great one.

HOF: The Pearlfishers
The Strange Underworld of the Tall Poppies had my favourites from the selection you sent, so that’s what I went with. I didn’t quite end up giving it 4 stars but it was close - I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the few listens I gave it. As I indicated in the roulette itself, the vocal style is not one I tend to gravitate towards, but - on this album at least - it’s done well, and there’s an enjoyable warmth and variety to the music that’s rather nice.

jingle: Rik Emmett
Absolutely seems to be his main “hit” so I gave it a couple of listens and it was pretty enjoyable, maybe more so than I expected. I can see you went with a lighter selection for the round theme, but there was quite a nice variety with a little more Triumph-esque hard rock crunch in some songs. I was also curious about Handiwork so gave that a few listens and - as noodley acoustic guitars go - it was similarly enjoyable with a few really nice tracks.

King: The Avett Brothers
This is one of the good successes of the round, for sure. It scored a solid 8.2 but that can go different ways when translating to full albums. Thankfully I’ve found myself really digging their run of four albums from 2009’s I and Love and You to 2016’s True Sadness. Some of it is pretty sappy, corny folk-pop/pop-folk but they have a lot of memorable hooks and emotional warmth. The latest album is quite a big step down I think, bar a few songs (the music is alright but some of the lyrics are distractingly weak), and I’m similarly not really into the rawer earlier material, but those four albums are great.

Litho: Phil Keaggy
I went with giving Beyond Nature a try and, you know, I came so close to giving it 4 stars. The vibe is consistent throughout and yes there’s a fair bit of acoustic guitar noodling, but it’s all pleasant and the album does have a broader sound palette that’s very nice. There are some moments - particularly a couple that have a more folksy emotive feel - that are pretty gorgeous. But ultimately the thing that just held it back is that there are too many moments where it feels - to me - incomplete without vocals.

lonestar: Band-Maid
Yeah I have to be honest I just don’t really get why this band is one of the biggest Japanese rock/metal bands. I gave that acoustic fanclub album a listen and yeah it definitely suffers from the slightly half-hearted arrangements I described in the roulette, but not all the songs have such good choruses as the ones you sent. I also gave another regular album a try, this time, Conqueror, and same as my previous experiences it’s all very competent and there are some good tunes but just not enough of them.

Luke (round 2 and EP): King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
In a single roulette you managed to triple the number of times I’ve been sent the Gizz. :lol And yeah, you’ve not changed my mind about them. Polygondwanaland is still a great album (thanks Buddy) but I can add Omnium Gatherum and Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava to my list of now six other albums I’ve liked but not loved. I’m well aware this still leaves another few dozen albums I’ve not heard, and I’m under no illusion that you’ve given up. :P

Luoto: Rioghan
Yep, Different Kinds of Losses is excellent. I loved the songs you sent from it and I feel pretty much exactly the same way about the album as a whole. There are maybe a couple of songs that are slightly less engaging but the rest is great - really emotionally immersive and her vocals are so compelling. The Blackened Sky EP is pretty good too, if not as substantial.

nick_z: Meer
No surprise at all that Playing House is a top notch album. I don’t really have anything to add to what I said about the selection you sent - it all applies in full to the whole album. I gave their debut a go as well as it was nice too, but not as rich and vibrant.

Puppies: Amesoeurs
Just the one album from this short-lived band. You may recall in the roulette I was a little unsure at first but the songs you sent grew on me loads. I guess that experience primed me for the full album - despite it going into some heavier territories - because I liked it loads from the start. A slightly odd mix of styles and influences for sure and I’m not wholly convinced they sit together all that comfortably but it doesn’t really matter when the music is of such consistent quality.

Reaper: Jakub Zytecki
Yeah this turned out pretty much the way I thought it might. The guy is very talented - he’s a good player, but does enough with his compositions and production that it’s not all about guitar anyway. I delved into both the album and the EP that you sent tracks from and they’re nice. Your selection was among the best tracks but there are other nice ones too. Neither fully holds my attention but for the style it’s solid stuff.

romdrums: Monobody
Comma is a nice album but it’s not held up as much as I’d hoped it would based on the tracks you sent me. The style is still really cool - I dig the mix of Kindo-esque jazz-indie with more traditional fusion stylings. I mentioned in the roulette that it lacked certain features I might have liked (accessible hooks and/or harmonic and tonal variety) but did ok without them and that was true for the smaller selection, but when widening out to the whole album the gap is more noticeable.

Sacul: Sohn
Ok yeah Tremors is an excellent album. You definitely sent me some of the best songs from it, but it’s all good stuff very much along the lines I described in my writeup for the roulette. The two albums he’s done since aren’t nearly as compelling - a couple of great moments on the newest album Trust but for the most part he seems to have lapsed into being another James Blake clone. But at least Tremors is great.

seneca: The Killers
Yep, I love Pressure Machine for all the same reasons I loved the songs you sent. My previous knowledge of The Killers had been singles from their first two albums (when they were at their biggest) but this is just a really rich and mature album with some great hooks. I went back and gave those first two albums proper listens and there are actually a few really good songs there too, but also a lot of filler. Similar with Imploding the Mirage. Didn’t bother with their middle albums as even their fans don’t seem to like them that much.

soupy: Lana Del Rey
A very pleasant surprise here, you’re so far maintaining a track record of me liking albums even more than the songs you sent. In this case it’s mainly in the form of Ultraviolence, which is a really great album. Great vibe and sound, and a lot of memorable melodies. I tried Born to Die and Ocean Blvd as well, and also Norman Fucking Rockwell which seems to be her most popular work. All three were good but none quite stacked up.

Stadler: Whitesnake
It’s bizarre how good this live acoustic Tokyo recording is. I’ve now learned it was originally released back in 1997 as Starkers in Tokyo, and yeah it’s just great. Basically every song works surprisingly well as stripped back, delicate acoustic songs and Coverdale’s voice is smooth as hell. I tried the main “Unzipped” acoustic complication and it was alright but pretty bland by comparison. I also took a punt on their self-titled album and liked it more than I might have expected, but still not entirely my thing. Still, Starkers in Tokyo is a keeper.

TAC: Lumsk
I think you probably get the award for my favourite artist from round 2. Fremmede Toner especially is, I think, my favourite album from the round. It’s just so rich and vibrant, with a mix of dark and light and lots of lush melodies and harmonies. Would love to see if they continue in this direction. The albums from their earlier incarnation are more mixed but Troll is another pretty great one.

Vmadera: The Cyberiam
Another pleasant surprise here. You only scraped an 8.0 in the roulette which I stand by, but a bit like Glasser with The Omega Experiment in round 1, a couple of songs can only provide part of the picture. Both their albums, and indeed their EP too, are excellent prog rock with decent variety of sounds and tone. Very nice.

wolfking: Elegy
State of Mind is pretty much what I expected really, based on the songs you sent. It’s pretty good and definitely my favourite thing I’ve heard from Ian Parry, but you chose the songs well and the album as a whole doesn’t really grab me. Glad to have checked it out though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3439 on: October 18, 2023, 06:41:01 AM »
Rich is definitely not a Madiac.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3440 on: October 18, 2023, 06:49:22 AM »
Interesting, I increasingly feel like the most vocal-oriented person on DTF, but it might actually be you.   :biggrin:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3441 on: October 18, 2023, 07:04:32 AM »
Interesting, I increasingly feel like the most vocal-oriented person on DTF, but it might actually be you.   :biggrin:
Possibly. :lol There's plenty of instrumental (or non-vocal electronic) music I love but yeah I can be picky about it. I guess in vocal music, I definitely see vocals as - usually - a focal point. Not always of course, but it often helps bring things together. Absolutely fine to not have vocals as long as something else is filling that role. Might be production (e.g. in electronic music), might be the instrumental work and melodies therein. What tends to put me off a bit is when instrumental music sounds to me like it should be underpinning a vocal line in a verse or chorus - e.g. simple strumming or simple riffs - but without the vocal line.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: October 18, 2023, 07:12:21 AM »
Yeah I agree, Tremors is great but haven't been into the rest of his work. Glad you're checking stuff out, keep at it :tup

Offline HOF

« Reply #3443 on: October 18, 2023, 07:17:32 AM »

HOF: The Pearlfishers
The Strange Underworld of the Tall Poppies had my favourites from the selection you sent, so that’s what I went with. I didn’t quite end up giving it 4 stars but it was close - I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the few listens I gave it. As I indicated in the roulette itself, the vocal style is not one I tend to gravitate towards, but - on this album at least - it’s done well, and there’s an enjoyable warmth and variety to the music that’s rather nice.

This would have been the album I’d have recommended you check out, so glad you picked it/liked it!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3444 on: October 18, 2023, 07:24:19 AM »
I'm quite impressed that you're seeming to go through something from every single artist in a round.  I'll later on be going through more of the higher-scoring ones in mine, but I don't think I'll have the patience to get to the lowest-ranked ones.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3445 on: October 18, 2023, 07:26:44 AM »
In a single roulette you managed to triple the number of times I’ve been sent the Gizz.  And yeah, you’ve not changed my mind about them. Polygondwanaland is still a great album (thanks Buddy) but I can add Omnium Gatherum and Ice, Death, Planets, Lungs, Mushrooms and Lava to my list of now six other albums I’ve liked but not loved. I’m well aware this still leaves another few dozen albums I’ve not heard, and I’m under no illusion that you’ve given up.

Give up?! You know me too well.

This is basically me and the rest of the forum now, when talking about the Gizz...

You'll be happy to know I'm converting more people every week, and the new plug.dj sessions are really helping.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3446 on: October 18, 2023, 07:35:10 AM »
Disappointing for DDS, but I see those Blanck Mass ratings. ;)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3447 on: October 18, 2023, 07:44:05 AM »
I'm quite impressed that you're seeming to go through something from every single artist in a round.  I'll later on be going through more of the higher-scoring ones in mine, but I don't think I'll have the patience to get to the lowest-ranked ones.
Yeah I decided to give it a go.

I did it for my v7 fogey roulette, which was a little more manageable because it had slightly fewer rounds and players. And in that case the point of the roulette was to broaden my exposure to older artists so it made sense to at least check out an album by every artist I was sent. Plus, I'm primarily an album listener, so it's good to hear songs in context.

For this roulette, my initial thinking was that I'd do the same as my v6, which was check out every artist that scored 8.0 or more and then a selection of those that scored less but seemed interesting and/or promising in some way. But in the end I decided that a. sampling everything from my v7 was really quite nice and led to some pleasant surprises, and b. I'd be checking out most artists anyway, so for the remaining few I wouldn't have checked out, it's really not much extra effort to give one album a couple of listens and see what I think.

I don't think I'll apply that to the EP round though, as there are so many artists and some were just one short song. Most, probably, but I don't intend to check them all out.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3448 on: October 18, 2023, 07:44:38 AM »
Yes round 3 is going rather better for you, despite them getting identical scores in the roulette. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3449 on: October 18, 2023, 08:11:28 AM »
I'm glad to see you enjoyed Pressure Machine. I agree that most of The Killers output isn't really worth the time, although I make another exception for Sam's Town.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3450 on: October 18, 2023, 08:47:00 AM »

A very pleasant surprise here, you’re so far maintaining a track record of me liking albums even more than the songs you sent. In this case it’s mainly in the form of Ultraviolence, which is a really great album. Great vibe and sound, and a lot of memorable melodies. I tried Born to Die and Ocean Blvd as well, and also Norman Fucking Rockwell which seems to be her most popular work. All three were good but none quite stacked up.

If that's your favorite then maybe try Blue Bannisters, that album is sort of seen as a collection of older songs with several coming from around the Ultraviolence era.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3451 on: October 18, 2023, 09:11:50 AM »
"Nectar of the Gods" is the song that started to sell me on her.  No one says "fucking" more soothingly than her.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3452 on: October 19, 2023, 12:39:14 AM »

If that's your favorite then maybe try Blue Bannisters, that album is sort of seen as a collection of older songs with several coming from around the Ultraviolence era.
Inspired suggestion, thanks. You're spot on. Maybe not quite up to the consistency of Ultraviolence but still really great and with the same qualities that appeal to me about it - the sound, the sense of melancholy, the melodic approach, all up my street. And suddenly out of nowhere a really energetic interlude that's pure Submotion Orchestra. Sounds totally out of place on the album but I bloody love Submotion Orchestra so I'm cool with it. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3453 on: October 19, 2023, 03:00:41 AM »

Inspired suggestion, thanks. You're spot on. Maybe not quite up to the consistency of Ultraviolence but still really great and with the same qualities that appeal to me about it - the sound, the sense of melancholy, the melodic approach, all up my street. And suddenly out of nowhere a really energetic interlude that's pure Submotion Orchestra. Sounds totally out of place on the album but I bloody love Submotion Orchestra so I'm cool with it. :lol

So can you upscale my score now  ;D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3454 on: October 19, 2023, 03:51:53 AM »
the last two gang of youths albums are the only ones i know but they're both really good, yeah

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3455 on: October 19, 2023, 05:29:46 AM »

Anyway, where are the updates on round 2 artists I hear you all asking?

nick_z: Meer
No surprise at all that Playing House is a top notch album. I don’t really have anything to add to what I said about the selection you sent - it all applies in full to the whole album. I gave their debut a go as well as it was nice too, but not as rich and vibrant.

Glad you enjoyed the album. It was, quite literally, my out-of-nowhere surprise of 2021. Rich and vibrant is a good way to describe it, and I agree it was a step up from the debut (which I of course subsequently checked out)

Very curious to see what they cook up next (assuming, and hoping, they do)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3456 on: November 28, 2023, 02:45:14 PM »
Yes round 3 is going rather better for you, despite them getting identical scores in the roulette. :lol
As promised, and with apologies for taking a while over this one (I blame Crow... Vylet Pony has so much music!), here's the results of my exploring the round 3 artists. Thanks as always to everyone for sending me so much good and interesting stuff!

Buddy: Blanck Mass
Despite getting an identical score to death's dynamic shroud, this went in the opposite direction. The tracks you chose made sense for the roulette but I don't know if they're even my favourites, the whole of World Eater is just so good. Same with Animated Violence Mild, which is in much the same vein although with some nice distinguishers. I had a look back at our posts at the time and forgot that those were the two albums you highlighted as well, so it seems we're on the same page here. The other albums are all quite good but I didn't find them nearly as interesting. But those two albums are among my favourites from the round.

Crow: Vylet Pony
Good golly Vylet has made a lot of music. :lol You really sent me down a rabbit hole with this. I started with her latest three - you sent me songs from the last two, and the one before, Cutiemarks, seemed to be her breakout album. And yeah all three are really great - having explored some of her earlier works now, it's clear her writing is more focused and consistent now. The stuff before is inconsistent, but there's still some damn great stuff. The other album I love as a whole is Homeward. About half of Fairytales also excellent, but man she really didn't know how to trim the filler until recently. I sampled a few other albums and there were a handful of strong tunes on each. Anyway just really digging the music in general. The whole MLP fan community isn't something I'm interested in, but it provides a nice backdrop for her stuff.

Elite: Wes Montgomery
As you know I was fairly familiar with Wes already, having heard a couple of his albums myself in the past and you sent me a few tunes of his last time as well. I do enjoy live jazz but, like the selection from it that you sent, this album doesn't really have the dynamic energy I was hoping for. It's good for sure and his playing was as super cool as ever but it just doesn't excite me much unfortunately.

Evermind: Lords of Black
I've given a good few listens to each of their five albums and they're all solid - two of them (II and Icons) just about reach the 4 star mark for me. The style is fairly straightforward power (ish) metal, and so really requires good hooks and energy to grab me, and those two albums hit my tastes nicely in that regard. Some really catchy stuff and generally very enjoyable. The singer's slightly gravelly voice helps give the sound a slight edge too. The other three all sit slightly below that mark - some good songs but not consistent enough to hold my interest.

faizoff: Van She
I like these guys, but generally the whole albums haven't quite lived up to the selection of songs you sent. I gave a good few listens to both V and Idea of Happiness, and enjoyed both but neither quite did it for me. The sound is very cool, kind of indie pop with varying degrees of electronic elements and occasionally something a little more rock oriented. It's a good mix, and some songs are pretty great but not enough of them to make whole albums sufficiently engaging.

Glasser: Nospūn
Opus has ended up being one of my favourite albums from the roulette, and a mighty fine debut. Like many debuts, they definitely wear their influences on their sleeves. I mentioned this in another thread I think (or was it on Reddit?) but along with the obvious DT and Haken influences at times, there are also elements of more cinematic prog metal bands like Native Construct and Beyond the Bridge. But while the influences are obvious, I like that the band doesn't rely too much on them and still made an album really dynamic and engaging.

HOF: Dim Gray
The songs you sent were comfortably the highest score you’ve gotten from me (so far!) and the quality and creativity on Firmament just doesn’t let up. Not much to add to what I said originally about your submission - the music is gorgeous, interesting and emotive. It also works great as an album, elevating another level up. I’m digging their debut Flown as well - it’s not quite as special but it’s still great stuff.

jingle: Nuclear Power Trio
You already know this because you sent me the entire EP, but I love it. And because once the round was over I already knew their entire catalogue, I kept up with what they were doing and checked out their full length as soon as it came out. And I love that too! I also like that they made use of the longer run time with a bit of variety of styles and influences. It’s not often I really get into instrumental rock but these guys just have so much energy, dynamism and great sense of melody.

King: Our Lady Peace
The bands you sent me have so far gone one way or the other, and unfortunately these guys haven’t held up quite as well as the selection you sent. I did end up giving a good go at all four of the albums you sent me songs from, as they have a good sound and a few great songs. But none of the albums felt consistently interesting enough to really grab and hold my attention.

Litho: Dejafuse
Ok so my journey with this album has basically been exactly the same as it was with the songs you sent from it. First couple of listens I liked it, but beyond the songs I already knew I didn’t feel wowed by it. But once again everything just grew on me loads. The whole thing is pretty great, but in addition to Blanque Cheque the other one that’s ended up being a favourite - despite it mostly being instrumental noodling - was Continuum. Go figure.

lonestar: Rolling Quartz
Not really a surprise considering you sent most of their EP already but yeah I enjoy it a lot, for all the reasons I liked the songs you sent. Blaze is also a really fun song. I checked out all the other singles available on Spotify but none were that interesting - seems you picked the best set!

Luke: Coheed and Cambria
You did it again! Just like with Deafheaven (though not King Gizzard I’m afraid), you have managed to turn me on to an album by a band I’ve tried before with no success. I mentioned this in the Coheed thread, but Vaxis II is such a massive step up in how much I like it. I tried Vaxis I as well and while it’s maybe a little more engaging than the previous albums I’ve heard from them, there’s still something awkward about the melodies and songwriting. But Vaxis II is so catchy and smooth flowing. Hope this is a new direction for them (melodically, not stylistically) rather than just a one-off!

Luoto: Cain's Offering
You know, I came quite close to giving Stormcrow 4 stars but never quite got there. Their debut feels pretty solid 3.5 star territory for me - enjoyable but fairly middle of the road power metal for my tastes. Stormcrow was definitely an improvement - I love the over-the-top symphonic stylings which really give it a very enjoyable grand feel. And a few songs have strong hooks as well, but I don’t feel it’s quite enough of them.

nick_z: Eneferens
Wasn’t at all surprised by this, but The Bleakness of Our Constant is indeed an excellent album. Definitely one of the stronger one-man-bands out there. I sampled his two earlier albums as well (one fully, one only very briefly) and they really weren’t up to scratch. Less atmosphere, less melody, less crunch in the heavy sections even. Bleakness was back in 2018 so I wonder if he’ll make any more music - I hope so!

Puppies: Echolyn
This was a fairly bold submission considering I’d rated their previous album only 3 stars, but it did pretty well for you. And I’m pleased to say that the self-titled album as a whole stacks up too. Not everything is a hit, but in general the album is rich and vibrant and has some great emotional moments. Tried their latest too which was also better than what I’ve heard from them before, but not on the same level as the self-titled.

Reaper: From Monument to Masses
I gave a good couple of listens to On Little Known Frequencies, and it was very much what I expected. Not bad by any means, perfectly sold post-rock. But basically I feel the same way I did about the tracks you sent. Even more so perhaps, as nothing else interested me as much as that section in the middle Checksum.

romdrums: Jaga Jazzist
Well now, Starfire turned out to be a pleasant surprise. You may recall in the roulette that I found the first few minutes of the title track a bit slow but loved it when it kicked in. As the opening track of the album, that slow start completely makes sense, and in general the album is just really engaging and enjoyable synth-heavy prog/jazz fusion. Melodically interesting and rhythmically intricate. I tried a few other albums too (What We Must, One-Armed Bandit and Pyramid) and they all have things I like about them but none quite does it for me.

Sacul: The Black Queen
This is another artist that was pretty much what I expected. Fever Daydream is a good album, with nice mix of different synthpop styles that keeps it pretty interesting. I think you picked a good selection from it - some of the album was a little more run of the mill, but it’s all nice stuff.

seneca: Emma Ruth Rundle
So Engine of Hell was exactly along the lines I’d expected, which is to say that I like it but it doesn’t hold my interest that well - just like the songs you sent from it. But because I find her interesting and you and Litho bigged up Some Heavy Ocean, I figured I’d give that a listen to. It was a bit more my cup of tea - more sonic and tonal variety and interesting to listen to. Hasn’t so far hit the 8/10 mark for me - something about her vocal melodies doesn’t quite capture me - but I’m willing to give it some more listens and see if it grows some more.

soupy: Fellowship
Why do I enjoy this so much? My experience with your submission is exactly the same with the full album. It’s far too cheesy for me. Surely? I mean come on. Why are these songs so catchy and fun? TIME FOR AN ADVENTURE. I honestly can’t explain it but for some reason I love this album.

Stadler: Asia
As you know I was pretty familiar with Asia already, having checked out a bunch of albums from across the years - already a big fan of Silent Nation but not so keen on earlier material. The songs you sent me went down really well and I did wonder if you’d pull the same thing you did with Sabbath but alas not quite this time. Don’t get me wrong, Alpha is a solid album and probably my second favourite I’ve heard behind Silent Nation - about half the album is strong and a couple of songs are really great, but the rest leave me a little bored. I remember there being a song or two on their debut I liked as well, so I should probably put together my own little best-of from their earlier works.

TAC: Castleway
As safe a bet as folk metal might seem with me, this album hasn’t worked out as well as I’d have hoped. The songs you sent are really good, especially A Shivering Sea. In fact there’s a general correlation on here between how serious/poetic the titles are and how much I enjoy the songs. Not sure exactly what the root of that is, but songs like Chicken Run: A True Viking Story and Goblin Goblin Goblin feel tonally off and possibly reflect the band’s mindset when writing them. Anyway it’s an enjoyable album though not one I feel particularly compelled to return to.

Vmadera: Prototype
I decided to give Catalyst a couple of listens and, you know what, I liked it more than I expected. Not quite enough to reach the 8/10 mark maybe - the vocal melodies just don’t quite hit the mark for me - but the prog thrash sound is cool and the sound palette is a little more expansive than the songs you sent. I wouldn’t say I love it, but I do kind of dig it more than I might have thought for something that came last in the round.

wolfking: Brymir
Damn, this band is really great. I described it during the roulette as the most melodic thing you’d ever sent me (up to that point anyway), and I stand by that certainly for the selection of songs you sent and indeed a whole bunch of others too. Especially on their latest album Voices in the Sky, which is superb. But all three of their other albums are excellent too. There’s more in the way of dark or melodically dense stuff dotted throughout but it’s all good and there are always these big, melodic, epic as hell moments to really immerse me.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2023, 03:09:59 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3457 on: November 28, 2023, 02:49:06 PM »
Two RQ songs I'd check out if I were you aren't on Spotify... The first is a cover of what I do believe is the Korean version of a crooner, he's the dude at the end of the video, and is singer Jayoung's strongest performance of a shit ton of strong performances... The second is a fucking brilliant mashup of a Blackpink song and a BTS song...

https://youtu.be/L_YooJt_ewU?si=SVAjHdNPVxUxTKEl

https://youtu.be/geSy4yOLfl8?si=4uwqTTtN8bEnot0G

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3458 on: November 28, 2023, 02:50:57 PM »
Dude, Coheed being catchy and smooth is not a one off, it's their damn MO! Glad you liked it though, it is phenomenonal and an album that means a lot to me.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3459 on: November 28, 2023, 02:56:46 PM »
Ok so my journey with this album has basically been exactly the same as it was with the songs you sent from it. First couple of listens I liked it, but beyond the songs I already knew I didn’t feel wowed by it. But once again everything just grew on me loads. The whole thing is pretty great, but in addition to Blanque Cheque the other one that’s ended up being a favourite - despite it mostly being instrumental noodling - was Continuum. Go figure.

I was wondering if at some point you'd have to PM me about the rest of the album, since it seems difficult to obtain now, but it looks like you figured something out (I noticed your rating for it a week or two ago).  I actually contemplated "Continuum" for variety beforehand, though after round 2 that idea went right out the window.   ;D   Even with 20 minutes there wasn't quite enough time anyway, and if I put one more I'd likely have gone with "2faced" or "More", which are probably the heaviest two on the album.  Definitely curious if you get to round 6 for you to hear Nienke in the context of Autumn (particularly on My New Time, which I didn't send anything from) now that you're more familiar with this album. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3460 on: November 28, 2023, 03:00:54 PM »

I decided to give Catalyst a couple of listens and, you know what, I liked it more than I expected. Not quite enough to reach the 8/10 mark maybe - the vocal melodies just don’t quite hit the mark for me - but the prog thrash sound is cool and the sound palette is a little more expansive than the songs you sent. I wouldn’t say I love it, but I do kind of dig it more than I might have thought for something that came last in the round.

Yeah, after the vocals were pointed out to me, I noticed how....weak they are, for lack of better term. But at least for me, the rest of the instruments and the writing kind of makes up for it
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3461 on: November 28, 2023, 03:07:18 PM »
Two RQ songs I'd check out if I were you aren't on Spotify... The first is a cover of what I do believe is the Korean version of a crooner, he's the dude at the end of the video, and is singer Jayoung's strongest performance of a shit ton of strong performances... The second is a fucking brilliant mashup of a Blackpink song and a BTS song...

https://youtu.be/L_YooJt_ewU?si=SVAjHdNPVxUxTKEl

https://youtu.be/geSy4yOLfl8?si=4uwqTTtN8bEnot0G
Both pretty cool, although as covers they don't mean much to me, being unfamiliar with any of the originals. I agree about her vocal performance in Reminiscence though, great stuff - and the pop/rap stuff in Pink Drop is fun as well.

Dude, Coheed being catchy and smooth is not a one off, it's their damn MO!
That's just the thing though, I've never found that at all. I've always found their melodies and songwriting a little awkward. But not on this album.

I was wondering if at some point you'd have to PM me about the rest of the album, since it seems difficult to obtain now, but it looks like you figured something out (I noticed your rating for it a week or two ago).  I actually contemplated "Continuum" for variety beforehand, though after round 2 that idea went right out the window.   ;D   Even with 20 minutes there wasn't quite enough time anyway, and if I put one more I'd likely have gone with "2faced" or "More", which are probably the heaviest two on the album.  Definitely curious if you get to round 6 for you to hear Nienke in the context of Autumn (particularly on My New Time, which I didn't send anything from) now that you're more familiar with this album. 
Yeah I did wonder about asking you, but I managed to find it in the end. Good to hear you're occasionally stalking my RYM. :lol

I can see how one of the heavier/crunchier tracks could have worked to broaden out the submission a little. More is excellent. 2faced is pretty good though to be honest not one of my favourites.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3462 on: November 28, 2023, 03:09:18 PM »

Yeah, after the vocals were pointed out to me, I noticed how....weak they are, for lack of better term. But at least for me, the rest of the instruments and the writing kind of makes up for it
Yeah it's nice stuff. Even though I didn't love it overall, it's kind of thing I'm happy I checked out and makes me glad I'm trying at least something out from every artist, even those that come last in a given round. Some nice surprises.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3463 on: November 28, 2023, 03:12:50 PM »

HOF: Dim Gray
The songs you sent were comfortably the highest score you’ve gotten from me (so far!) and the quality and creativity on Firmament just doesn’t let up. Not much to add to what I said originally about your submission - the music is gorgeous, interesting and emotive. It also works great as an album, elevating another level up. I’m digging their debut Flown as well - it’s not quite as special but it’s still great stuff.

:tup

Really excited to see where these guys go in the future. Great young band.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3464 on: November 28, 2023, 09:20:59 PM »
When I submitted Nospūn it was just released and it's now one of my favorite albums of the year.  :tup