Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91889 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results - we have a winner!
« Reply #3395 on: July 30, 2023, 11:47:03 AM »
I'm here for the graphs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results - we have a winner!
« Reply #3396 on: July 30, 2023, 01:26:08 PM »
How many rounds do you think I'm going to do?! :P

The number of lines looks pretty accurate though. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette results, part 1
« Reply #3397 on: August 19, 2023, 07:17:15 AM »
Post-roulette results, part 1

Now I'm back from holiday and things are somewhat back to normal, I've been able to get some time to listen to music again. Along with getting back to listening to some old favourites plus new albums coming out, I've started checking out some of the round 1 artists and, finally, digging into the post-roulette things a few of you sent me.

I basically got a full roulette's worth of music from Crow and more than that from the combination of Litho, lonestar and Puppies. The latter three sent first and I've dug into all of them, so that's what I've started with. Crow, I'll start listening to your ones now and report back on those before I get that much further with digging into round 1 artists (and yes I'll report back this time - something I never got round to doing after my v7 because of LIFE CHAOS).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
lonestar
Tardigrade Inferno – Mastermind (2019)

Final opinion: This album (and indeed this band) is wonderfully mad. The melodic hooks aren't always super exciting but the dark quirky cabaret metal style is something I normally enjoy and this is a highly entertaining version of it. And to be honest, the fact that some of the chorus are a little more straightforward probably works in its favour overall because for all the quirkiness, it's still (to my tastes anyway) pretty accessible and immediately easy to get into. The singer is of course the highlight, what a great and versatile voice she has, full of energy and character. But the rest of the production is slick too. Very cool stuff.

Score: 8.2

lonestar
Ok Goodnight – The Fox and the Bird (2023)

Final opinion: Another full album from you. This one didn't hit me as much on first listen but I ended up liking it even more. On both counts it's partly because it's so indefinable. Is it prog rock? Prog metal? Post hardcore? Alt rock? The answer to all of those seems to be not really. It's also not that obvious melodically - the hooks don't immediately jump out in a catchy way and to be honest I still wouldn't say most of them are particularly memorable. So it took me a couple of listens to get a sense of what it is. But despite all that, I've thoroughly enjoyed every listen, and its unique blend of styles helps it feel very creative and fresh. And the more I listen, the more compelling I find it. Just a really interesting and engaging album.

Score: 8.3

Litho – Vertical Horizon
1. Broken Over You
2. One of You
3. The Man Who Would Be Santa (live)
4. Shackled
5. Answer Me
6. Even Now
7. Wash Away (live)

Final opinion: This is a little different to anything you sent in the roulette proper. Somewhat poppy alternative rock with a very 90s/early 00s American sound (although I recognise some of the songs are more recent). Melodically and stylistically, it's reasonably straightforward, but what sells it is the emotional warmth that pervades through all these songs. My favourites are the most emotional songs - Broken Over You and Even Now. But even the slightly grungier songs like One of You have an elegant sincerity to them. In that sense the band remind me of Alter Bridge, just without the heavier riffing. Not sure the live recordings do all that much for me - I don't tend to go for live audio in general unless there's something unique or special about it - but I appreciate the inclusion to allow me to see different sides of the band.

Litho – Chris Thile
1. Sonata No. 1 in G minor, BWV 1001: IV. Presto
2. Empire Falls
3. I'm Nowhere and You're Everything
4. Gator Strut (live)

Final opinion: One more try at the acoustic noodling again, huh? :lol Only for half the submission this time though, and the variety on display here is definitely more my cup of tea than the narrower selection of Keaggy tracks you sent me. Let's start with the noodling. I'm going to out myself as a pleb now, but I've never been much of a fan of Bach. That's not to say there aren't some works I've liked a lot, certainly those with a more dramatic edge like some of his organ works. But for as clever as he was as a composer, I just find most of his works a bit cold and uninteresting to listen to. This guitar arrangement is pretty cool but doesn't really change my mind. Whereas the live recording of Gator Strut is a ton of fun. Both players have a great deal of skill and charisma, the way they play off each other is really enjoyable, and the tune itself has a kind of dark groove to it that's right up my alley. As to the two songs on here, I'm Nowhere is an easy favourite of the whole bunch, really slick and engaging and with a similar groovy edge. Empire Falls seems to be more in an alt rock space and it's a nice song, if not one that hugely grabs me.

Score: 8.0

Puppies – Out of the Wasteland Barren and Empty (EP)
1. Dark Forest - Aurora Borealis [intro]
2. Finsterforst - Das große Erwachen
3. Dark Forest - Thurisaz
4. Falkenbach - ...as Long as Winds Will Blow...
5. Mistur - Attende

Favourite: Mistur - Attende
Least favourite: Dark Forest - Thurisaz

Final opinion: The fact that you made two entirely separate EPs of almost identical quality is really rather impressive. I’ll start with flow because that’s something you always excel at and this is, unsurprisingly, no different. The transitions between songs are all smooth - slightly different production style between tracks 3 and 4 was a little noticeable but it works well enough and the rest are excellent. You didn’t send me a story for this one so all I have is a vague sense of narrative. There aren’t any points for story anyway, but in terms of flow, I’m not sure there’s quite such a compelling emotional arc in the music as in the EP you went with for the roulette itself. However, this is well compensated by the fact that the music and general style is incredibly coherent throughout, such that it’s a very smooth and convincing listen.

On to the music, then. After a short and effective intro, the first substantive song is by Finsterforst. Definitely straight up folk metal. Reminds me a little of the folksier end of Moonsorrow’s stuff, blending intensity in the vocals and the speed of the music with a quite upbeat melodic approach at times and lots of authentic folk instrumentation (lots of accordion and flute in particular). Doesn’t have the same rich and emotive melancholy maybe, but it’s still great and nicely varied over its 12 minutes, definitely taking the listener on a journey.

Smooth segue then into a shorter song by Dark Forest. This is solid enough, again very much folk metal, this time with a slightly more ethereal vibe in the synths. It’s fine, but pretty unremarkable. The instrumentation is nice, but the riffs and vocals are a little… generic maybe? I don’t like using that word but I just find this quite functional really. But not bad though.

Another short song, this time by Falkenbach. It’s on the mellower end and yeah it’s pretty middle of the road folk metal, but it’s very nice for what it is. The main motif is enjoyable, and melodically and harmonically the music has that juxtaposition of being both upbeat and oddly melancholy at the same time that I do rather like.

And then closing with another big epic, this time by Mistur. Stylistically pretty similar to the first song - see my comments above about flow and coherence being really good - but with a slightly darker edge in the first half and grander vibe in the second. Works great as a closer, and probably just edges the Finsterforst song out as my favourite of the bunch.

When I compare this to your other EP, I probably like this more consistently from start to finish, but it doesn’t have the same highs. So when it comes to a score, it’s close, but this one sits slightly below.

Music quality score: 8.3
Flow score: 4.5
EP total: 12.8

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3398 on: August 19, 2023, 07:48:02 AM »
Awesome man... Tardigrade is such a fun, unique band for sure. And OK Goodnight is still a strong front-runner for my AOTY, the only one on the horizon I can see topping it is Tesseract. Just a great concept album.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3399 on: August 19, 2023, 11:08:10 AM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3400 on: August 19, 2023, 11:16:38 AM »
Did I miss a round?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3402 on: August 19, 2023, 06:41:40 PM »
about to give the OK Goodnight album another spin soon but this review is reaffirming my suspicion that it's an album that's gonna need a few spins to sink in, yeah  :lol there was a lot going on there

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3403 on: August 19, 2023, 06:50:52 PM »
about to give the OK Goodnight album another spin soon but this review is reaffirming my suspicion that it's an album that's gonna need a few spins to sink in, yeah  :lol there was a lot going on there

I think it took me a solid three or four before it elevated from "hmm this is intriguing" to "omg AOTY"

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3404 on: August 19, 2023, 07:54:19 PM »
In that sense the band remind me of Alter Bridge, just without the heavier riffing.

I'm always fascinated when people make comparisons of music I send to artists I've never thought to associate with them.  This had never occurred to me, and I'm not sure I see it off the bat, but next time I listen to either I'll have to ponder this more. 

Not sure the live recordings do all that much for me - I don't tend to go for live audio in general unless there's something unique or special about it - but I appreciate the inclusion to allow me to see different sides of the band

Yeah, I'm generally not that into live recordings either, but to me they are one of the exceptions.  It's definitely worth checking out the studio versions of those songs to compare.  Good songs either way, but I think they really take on a new life live, particularly when Matt lets loose more guitar-wise than their radio rock/pop side typically allows him to. 

Final opinion: One more try at the acoustic noodling again, huh? :lol

Yep!  Seems you enjoyed it more than I was worried you might, but it looks like it would have still scored lower than any of my later entries, so I made the right call in cutting it. 

Only for half the submission this time though, and the variety on display here is definitely more my cup of tea than the narrower selection of Keaggy tracks you sent me.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna make a Keaggy EP of sorts to send you after your next roulette that shows off more of his range.   :justjen

This guitar arrangement is pretty cool but doesn't really change my mind.

Mandolin, actually.   :P

Whereas the live recording of Gator Strut is a ton of fun. Both players have a great deal of skill and charisma, the way they play off each other is really enjoyable, and the tune itself has a kind of dark groove to it that's right up my alley.

Yeah, I almost sent this song to Luke at one point, but chickened out (technically twice in two separate roulettes now I guess  :facepalm: ).  I don't even know what genre you'd call it, never heard anything else quite like it. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3405 on: August 19, 2023, 08:39:32 PM »
Rich's next roulette...

How many rounds do you think I'm going to do?! :P

I'm pretty sure this is what happens when you overlay the graphs for our roulettes together.   :rollin

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3406 on: August 20, 2023, 12:31:36 AM »
Litho – Vertical Horizon
1. Broken Over You
2. One of You
4. Shackled
5. Answer Me
6. Even Now
7. Wash Away (live)

Final opinion: This is a little different to anything you sent in the roulette proper. Somewhat poppy alternative rock with a very 90s/early 00s American sound (although I recognise some of the songs are more recent). Melodically and stylistically, it's reasonably straightforward, but what sells it is the emotional warmth that pervades through all these songs. My favourites are the most emotional songs - Broken Over You and Even Now. But even the slightly grungier songs like One of You have an elegant sincerity to them. In that sense the band remind me of Alter Bridge, just without the heavier riffing. Not sure the live recordings do all that much for me - I don't tend to go for live audio in general unless there's something unique or special about it - but I appreciate the inclusion to allow me to see different sides of the band.

I don't know if Litho mentioned this when he sent these songs, but Even Now was written by Neil Peart and he played the drums on the track. The whole Burning the Days album is amazing!
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3407 on: August 20, 2023, 09:59:32 AM »
Litho – Vertical Horizon
1. Broken Over You
2. One of You
4. Shackled
5. Answer Me
6. Even Now
7. Wash Away (live)

I don't know if Litho mentioned this when he sent these songs, but Even Now was written by Neil Peart and he played the drums on the track. The whole Burning the Days album is amazing!

Yes, indeed! It might overall be my favorite Vertical Horizon album (I mean, not just because of Neil Peart's involvement  ;))

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3408 on: August 20, 2023, 07:51:37 PM »
I did mention that he drums on it (he's also on a few others on that one and the next, but it's quite restrained for his standards), but not the writing credit (technically a co-write with Matt).  Although they were a great band long before the Rush connection.  That particular track has one of my favorite solos of Matt's though, marvelous tone and phrasing there. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette results pt 2: Alt-Crow
« Reply #3409 on: August 29, 2023, 02:10:50 PM »
Post-roulette results, part 2: Crow's Alternate Universe

Crow – Aethereus
1. Endless Cycle of Rebirth
2. Upon Infinite Seas

Final opinion: Well now, this is more intense than anything you (or almost anyone else) sent in the actual roulette. In my reviews of a few other submissions, especially in round 4, I wrote about how I often find tech death quite cold and disengaging if there's not a strong enough sense of melody. This is somewhere on the cusp. There are some great moments, especially the more melodic parts of Endless Cycle of Rebirth which are really huge and immersive. And of course the general talent, forecity and big sound are undeniable. But ultimately the balance tips slightly away from what I find most engaging in the style. Upon Infinite Seas especially drags on for quite a long time before it reaches something I find musically interesting.

Score: 7.8

Crow – McKinley Dixon
1. Chain Sooo Heavy
2. Never Will Know
3. Make a Poet Black
4. Beloved! Paradise! Jazz?

Final opinion: I wasn't too sure about this at first, but it grew on me quite a lot. Hip hop isn't a huge genre for me anyway, and this didn't seem like it really hit what I was looking for. But part of that, I think, is that it's a little unusual and experimental, and that's what has ended up making it pretty compelling. It also feels very sincere and authentic in the lyrics and the way they interlink with the music, which similarly became clearer on subsequent listens. Combine that with some nice groove and great jazz and soul influences - which I liked from the start - and we have something pretty cool actually. Although I'm still struggling to stop my brain from hearing "paradise jazz" as "very nice guy" which is kind of distracting in what is otherwise a really good song. :lol

Score: 8.0

Crow – Shamir
1. Gay Agenda
2. Cisgender
3. Abomination
4. Caught Up
5. Marriage

Final opinion: Other than the EP, this was probably my favourite submission when I went through first listens. It's accessible, tuneful pop with some nice little unusual flourishes here and there, and lyrically it seems to be a very open exploration of Shamir, his identity and things that are important to him. All things that very much appeal to me. It hasn't quite held up as much as I'd have liked though, unfortunately. As much as I like those qualities, the music is a bit… normal? It's tuneful enough but there's not much in the way of particularly engaging hooks. And it all feels a bit middle of the road and lacking in energy.

Score: 7.8

Crow – Ashenspire
1. The Law of Asbestos
2. Plattenbau Persephone Praxis
3. Tragic Heroin

Final opinion: Avant-garde metal is always risky (probably even with people who like the genre, to be fair) and this one, while interesting, doesn't quite hit the mark. It starts really well. The moody atmosphere and orchestral instrumentation are incredibly compelling and build up some great tension. But once the band comes in after 2 minutes, it quickly loses me. With music this unusual and discordant, I generally need some kind of anchor (melodic, ideally, but groove and rhythm can sometimes do it) to hold my interest, whereas this more freeform yelling is kind of… not my thing. Although I do have a soft spot for the Scottish accent. :lol The first song does build up again later on to something pretty epic though. And this trend pretty much continues through the rest of the songs. An interesting sound with some great moments, but having to sit through too much drudgery to get there.

Score: 7.6

Crow – Beyoncé
1. I’m That Girl
2. Alien Superstar
3. Don’t Hurt Yourself
4. Church Girl
5. Freedom

Final opinion: Beyonce is obviously a huge star, but oddly enough, other than a couple of her biggest hits, I've never really given her stuff a listen. There are aspects of these songs that are quite a pleasant surprise - there's a great downtempo vibe in places, with nice use of synths and some little experimentations in the production that I dig. Alien Superstar, in particular, is excellent in these regards. Don't Hurt Yourself also has a pretty great indie punk energy to it and some memorable vocal lines. The other three songs though, I feel similar to the Shamir submission in that it's all a bit straightforward and lacking in interesting hooks. And Church Girl is kind of annoying. :lol

Score: 7.7

Crow – Dispirited Spirits
1. Ships Sailing Space
2. Bring Down the Sky
3. Methanol Fire

Final opinion: This ticks a lot of my boxes, but - and I realise I'm sounding like a broken record now - the hooks aren't really there to hold it all together. There's lots to like though, and I'll for sure give the album a listen. It's a sort of indie-ish art rock style and it's pretty creative compositionally, if not so much in terms of arrangement and sound which are more straightforward. There's quite a nice emotionality to it, and some big swells that are right up my street - the climax in Bring Down the Sky, especially, is pretty wonderful and one of the best moments among your post roulette submissions. But for as great as that song is, the other two aren't nearly as interesting.

Score: 7.9

Crow – B L I S S C O R E (EP)
1. SOOOO - Happppy song
2. Jane Remover - kodak moment
3. Hakushi Hasegawa - Look at me
4. Jane Remover - can you tell?
5. Hakushi Hasegawa - Desert
6. death’s dynamic shroud - Rare Angel
7. death’s dynamic shroud - Perfect Angel

Favourite: SOOOO - Happppy song
Least favourite: Hakushi Hasegawa - Look at me

Final opinion: While alt-Crow’s other submissions have all been reasonably solid, this is the only one that matches up to what you sent in the roulette proper. And even then it doesn’t score quite as well as your EP. It’s a great selection of slightly mad electronica/glitch-pop, with lots of overlap of style but enough difference to keep things varied and interesting.

You initially sent that SOOO song on its own before sending an entire roulette’s worth of music. :lol And as it happens it remains possibly my favourite of the lot. I can totally see why you enjoy the Clarence Clarity songs Lucas and I sent in your roulette. If anything this is even more off-the-wall, but it’s terrific and there’s enough sense of melody to not get too much.

The Jane Remover songs are pretty great as well. Kind of in the same broad vein, but it’s not as wacky and there’s a slightly more emotional pop styling underlying it all, which is rather nice.

The Hakushi Hasegawa stuff is maybe bordering on a little too weird? The underlying music is basically pure jazz really, but overlaid with all this glitchy electronics. Don’t get me wrong I definitely enjoy it still, but like in the first song especially, the first half is pretty cool jazz but not that melodically engaging, and then the second half just goes insane but the glitchy sounds just go on too long. The second song balances these features slightly better.

And then onto death’s dynamic shroud, who would have been banned in the main roulette because Buddy sent them, but for this post-roulette submission it’s fine and clearly they have a pretty vast catalogue. While it’s two separate songs, it feels like they really go together, and between them they cover many of the same qualities as the rest of the EP. Nice stuff, if not mind-blowing.

Flow-wise, this doesn’t have the same sense of an emotional arc as your EP in the actual roulette, but it’s still great. It’s essentially a collection of songs that fit well together, but it gets a small extra boost because there’s a great balance of shared qualities and differences that make it not just coherent but also varied and interesting to listen to, and the sequencing and pacing is excellent.

Music quality score: 8.2
Flow score: 4.1
EP total: 12.3

Alt-roulette total = 7.8 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 7.6 + 7.7 + 7.9 + (8.2 + 4.1) = 59.1

Alt-final position: 21st

This is a nice illustration of the good judgement you exhibited in the roulette, by not sending me any of these things! :lol Not that I disliked any of them, and none scored particularly low, which is why you wouldn’t have quite come at the bottom in the roulette. But most of them failed to really hit the mark and even the better ones weren’t that special. The EP was easily the most exciting - SOOO I’ve already checked out and I love that mini-EP, and I’m really looking forward to checking out Jane Remover as well. I’ll probably dig into the rest of what you sent too, but McKinley Dixon and death’s dynamic shroud are the ones I’m particularly interested in.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3410 on: August 29, 2023, 02:24:08 PM »

Ah yes, great "your computer has encountered a fatal error" music. :hat
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3411 on: August 29, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »

that's pretty much the entire EP i sent, yes  :lol

in hindsight had i heard as much hakushi hasegawa as i have now i almost certainly would've sent them as an alt-round instead of part of the EP, i'm a little bit obsessed
but also, their music is, like that, so

and yeah whew even with scores pretty consistently hitting the 7.6-8 range that would've been a way worse roulette performance, huh :corn these are all interesting things i figured you wouldn't gel with quite as much so it's good to get out every single last one of my assumptions now so i can start fresh next time :metal

that being said i bequeath you to at least check out the newest hakushi hasegawa song which is both kinda like and quite a bit different from the ones i sent you

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3412 on: August 30, 2023, 02:46:55 AM »

that's pretty much the entire EP i sent, yes  :lol
Pretty much. It's great. :lol

in hindsight had i heard as much hakushi hasegawa as i have now i almost certainly would've sent them as an alt-round instead of part of the EP, i'm a little bit obsessed
but also, their music is, like that, so

that being said i bequeath you to at least check out the newest hakushi hasegawa song which is both kinda like and quite a bit different from the ones i sent you
Yeah I'll check them out for sure, and I'll make sure I include the new song. As you know I'm very much an album listener and I don't really have a feel for what a whole album of their stuff will be like based on these two songs.

and yeah whew even with scores pretty consistently hitting the 7.6-8 range that would've been a way worse roulette performance, huh :corn these are all interesting things i figured you wouldn't gel with quite as much so it's good to get out every single last one of my assumptions now so i can start fresh next time :metal
Yeah like I said, your judgement in the roulette was consistently good which I think is what made the difference and got you the win this time!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3413 on: August 30, 2023, 02:49:35 AM »
That's it for post-roulette submissions this time, but I will post occasional brief updates on my experiences of checking out the artists you all sent me. Not decided on the EP artists yet because there are just so many of them, for the round 1-6 artists I think I'll probably at least check out one full release by each one. Even the ones that scored the lowest I didn't dislike (Glasser saved that for the EP) so might as well give them a try.

It's obviously a ton of music for me to work through so it'll take me a good few months probably. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3415 on: August 30, 2023, 12:41:32 PM »
Yeah I'll check them out for sure, and I'll make sure I include the new song. As you know I'm very much an album listener and I don't really have a feel for what a whole album of their stuff will be like based on these two songs.
you'll be delighted to know that the one you liked less isn't on the album and that the entire album has no two tracks that sound quite alike, it's. a ride  :lol
i'm definitely not a little obsessed with it rn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3417 on: September 14, 2023, 04:35:43 AM »
Finally finished working my way through all the round 1 artists. Was thinking I'd post updates in batches but I never got round to it so I guess I'll just post about all of them now. :lol

In summary, quite a few keepers, some pleasant surprises, a couple of mild disappointments, but generally lots of great stuff.

Buddy: Obscure Sphinx
This band is such pure Buddycore. :lol Nothing else seems quite as special as Presence of Goddess, but Void Mother as a whole is still pretty great. I've tried their other two albums but they're not quite doing it for me. The sound and style is still there, but while Void Mother builds this fantastic tension, the other two feel a little more plodding at times.

Crow: Birds in Row
Yep Gris Klein is exactly what I wanted it to be, fantastic album. Very much an extension of the songs you sent. Features I wouldn't normally go for just work here and it's such a cathartic and engaging listen. The previous album is pretty great too. Tried out the first album and one of their EPs too, some good stuff but a bit monotone for my tastes (especially when that one tone is "shouty").

Elite: Panzerballet
I gave Tank Goodness a good couple of listens as it has my favourite (and the best sounding) of the songs you sent, and it's a pretty cool album. Their style definitely benefits from the slick, punchy sound on this one. Very enjoyable, but still ends up feeling a bit of a novelty that doesn't really draw me back in to listen again.

Evermind: Avatarium
Great stuff, their first two albums (which you sent songs from) are excellent and the third is also great, in some ways maybe even my favourite at this point. The most recent two are nice as well, but lacking a bit of punch and energy other than a couple of songs.

faizoff: Metal Church
I gave The Dark a try as the most interesting sounding of what you sent me, and yeah it's pretty much what I expected. It's OK but not really my thing, and I'm glad thrash metal went in more melodic and generally interesting directions.

Glasser: The Omega Experiment
Submissions that score in the low 8s can go in different directions when I check out full albums. Pleased to say this is on the very positive end. I liked what you sent but it couldn't have fully represented the album which is pretty expansive and really good fun prog metal. Definitely one where the sum is greater than the parts.

HOF: Caroline's Spine
Went with Work It Out as, despite being apparently less popular (according to RYM anyway), the song you sent from it was most aligned to my tastes. Pretty much exactly what I expected but yeah it's some nice alt rock and I like the emotional angle present in a few of the songs. Doesn't blow me away but am enjoyable listen.

jingle: Vandroya
Nice stuff on the whole, more on the power metal end of things but with some nice prog metal influences thrown in. One has a couple of excellent songs on it) including the one you sent) but doesn't quite grab me overall, some of it I find a little melodically uninteresting. Beyond the Human Mind doesn't quite the same highs but I find it much more consistently enjoyable.

King: The Native Howl
Yeah definitely a bit of a novelty act this one. I gave a listen to Out of the Garden and Into the Darkness, which is a long album and it was a bit of a chore to get through. I can see them being a lot of fun live but in record it doesn't do much for me. If anything I find it most enjoyable when they just go straight up bluegrass rather than making it too "thrashy" sounding. :lol

Litho: Draconian
The quality of the songs you sent is pretty consistently maintained throughout this band's discography, which I spent a good bit of time getting to know. The debut is a bit rough around the edges, and their 2006 album Burning Halo is a mish mash of different things and doesn't really work that well. But all their other albums get a solid 4 stars from me, very engaging and melancholic doom metal.

lonestar: Saiseiga
You'd have scored higher if you just stuck with their second album Nostalgia. It's great, lots of energy and memorable hooks. The first album is decent still - The talent was obviously there, the songs just aren't as enjoyable. You sent the right band, just not (all) the right songs.

luke: Deafheaven
Yeah I don't understand why Ordinary Corrupt Human Love is less popular among fans but I'm with you, it's clearly the best thing they've done. As I said earlier in the thread, I'd recently given Sunbather another shot and while it was better that I'd remembered, it didn't really work for me as the contrasting elements just didn't hold together well. I've also tried New Bermuda and feel the same way, while Infinite Granite is a nice idea in theory but ends up a little boring. OCHL is the only one that gets the balance right for me.

Luoto: Slow Fall
Another one of those bands whose first album shows promise that is then realised in the follow-up. Beneath the Endless Rains is a pretty good album but you definitely sent me the two best songs on it, and some of the rest isn’t that interesting. Since this round they released the second album and it’s really top-notch MDM, once again continuing your trend of sending me great lesser-known stuff from the genre.

nick_z: Lacrimas Profundere
Yeah this was a good shout. Bleeding the Stars is excellent, and the newest album is similarly great, just a really good blend of gothic metal and melodic death/doom metal. I did try the two albums before and there was some good stuff but they didn’t really grab me nearly as much. I also tried a couple of their older “classic” albums (Memorandum and Burning: A Wish) and felt the same way. Still, they’re on a good run now so I’m interested to see what they do next.

Puppies: Altar of Plagues
I gave Mammal a good go and ultimately feel exactly the same about the album as a whole as I did about the song you sent from it. It’s good, but never quite hits enough of my tastes and interests to really grab me or make me want to return to it.

Reaper: Moon Tooth
You mostly sent songs from Chromaparagon and while I didn’t love them, the groove and general sound was interesting so that’s the album I tried out. And yeah it’s good stuff, actually a couple of the songs I maybe even like more than most of the ones you sent, but overall I feel pretty similar to your submission - nice groove and great playing but melodic hooks not really working for me.

romdrums: Sermon
I said above that low-8 scoring submissions can go in different ways when I check out full albums, and this is one that doesn’t hold up quite so well. Your selection definitely covers all the best songs from Of Golden Verse and it’s a good album, but there isn’t really much to excite me in it and I find myself getting a little bored by the end.

Sacul: Kendrick Lamar
Delighted to add a bit more hip-hop to my collection. He clearly has a lot of great ideas, although to be honest most of his albums meander around a lot. The one that really stands out to me as a good match for my tastes is Mr. Morale & The Big Steppers - genuinely love the variety of ideas and consistent quality. To Pimp a Butterfly and Good kid, m.A.A.d city both have some cracking tunes on as well, but also a lot of stuff that doesn’t interest me at all. I also gave a couple of listens to DAMN. but nothing on it really did anything for me.

seneca: Mount Eerie
I decided to give A Crow Looked at Me a proper go and, you know what, I liked it more than I thought I would. Not enough to rate it 4 stars - it’s still a bit monotone and largely lacking in melodic richness for my tastes - but the second half of the album does have a couple of more musically engaging moments and as a whole work the emotionality of it is a little more immersive. Not one I particularly plan to return to but I’m glad you sent it to me.

soupy: Seven Spires
You know, I think this might have ended up my favourite artist of the first round. Both their latest two albums are on my regular rotation now and I’ve rated them 4.5 stars. There’s something about both albums that’s verging on being too ridiculous and over the top - both in the music and her vocals - but, by virtue of not quite going that far, ends up adding a level of excitement and immersion. So many great and incredibly enjoyable songs.

Stadler: Black Sabbath
Congratulations, you managed to find me a Black Sabbath album that I rate 4 stars! I started with Headless Cross as it has the best song from your submission, and to my surprise I really liked the whole album. Like I said with your submission, he’s probably the least distinctive singer Sabbath have had, and yet he’s probably my favourite, plus this album  just has loads of good hooks and riffs and a great overall sound. I also tried the other two albums you sent a song from (Forbidden and Cross Purposes) which were enjoyable but much more aligned with everything else I’ve heard from Sabbath - the odd good song but not that exciting overall.

TAC: Circus of Fools
Digging this band. They have a really enjoyable, theatrical, gothic vibe, very dynamic and kind of fun. The last two full releases (REX and A Broadcast From GEN .0) are excellent. Contracult also has some great stuff on it, but some filler as well. Tried one of the earlier albums and it was much weaker, but still, they’re on a good run at the moment.

Vmadera: Once Human
I gave Scar Weaver a good few listens and it’s a solid album, but the ratio of intensity and melody doesn’t quite hit the right spot for me. Or rather, I enjoy the intensity and don’t need any less of it, but there’s not enough engaging melody to balance it out - much of it is quite harmonically dense and not very accessible. Cold Arrival is still a fantastic song but the rest I have little desire to return to.

wolfking: Keep of Kalessin
I’d already explored their stuff by the time the roulette had finished, but to reiterate: great band. All their albums from Armada (2006) onwards are excellent. Not a great deal of variety between them, but a subtle evolution over time, to the point where actually their latest album Katharsis is probably my favourite - has a bigger sense of melody and grandiosity that’s right up my alley. Tried a couple of the earliest releases and they were decent but not so much my cup of tea.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3418 on: September 14, 2023, 04:38:44 AM »
I completely agree about OCHL. Nothing the band has released has come close to this album, for me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3419 on: September 14, 2023, 06:17:26 AM »
Nostalgia had just been released, I was still working my way through it :lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #3420 on: September 14, 2023, 06:38:01 AM »
Work It Out is a more recent, digital only release with a reworked lineup of the band. The earlier albums are probably more known and liked by fans. Attention Please is probably my favorite all the way through, but I thought Work It Out was a nice revival of the band.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3421 on: September 14, 2023, 06:45:37 AM »
As I always said - the round one reappraisal result is where the real winner of the roulette is crowned.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 06:51:43 AM by soupytwist »

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3422 on: September 14, 2023, 07:58:44 AM »
Fair enough, their best album is White Tomb. All the others pale in comparison.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3423 on: September 14, 2023, 10:16:46 AM »
Buddy: Obscure Sphinx
This band is such pure Buddycore. :lol Nothing else seems quite as special as Presence of Goddess, but Void Mother as a whole is still pretty great. I've tried their other two albums but they're not quite doing it for me. The sound and style is still there, but while Void Mother builds this fantastic tension, the other two feel a little more plodding at times.

Sacul sent them to me, in all fairness. :biggrin: Void Mother is such a great album. I agree that Presence Of Goddess is the best song but that's not saying much, there's some other excellent songs on there too like Lunar Caustic and Waiting For The Bodies...

I was originally really disappointed in their follow-up album but it grew on me after a while. I was expecting it to be as big and heavy as Void Mother, but I eventually realized it's trying to be a more sparse, desolate-sounding album, which I think it does well enough.

Still waiting for that fourth album...
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3424 on: September 14, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »
I completely agree about OCHL. Nothing the band has released has come close to this album, for me.

Honeycomb, Canary Yellow and Glint are all excellent. But the rest of the songs drag down the album below Sunbather and New Bermuda for me, especially You Without End, which I think is kinda dogshit. :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3425 on: September 14, 2023, 10:45:59 AM »
Yes The Omega Experiment needs to be heard in it's entirety. I did my best trying to represent it with a few tunes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3426 on: September 14, 2023, 10:59:40 AM »
I getcha Rich.  I agree. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3427 on: September 14, 2023, 11:10:21 AM »

Honeycomb, Canary Yellow and Glint are all excellent. But the rest of the songs drag down the album below Sunbather and New Bermuda for me, especially You Without End, which I think is kinda dogshit. :lol

Respectfully, you suck.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3428 on: September 14, 2023, 11:45:02 AM »
Litho: Draconian
The quality of the songs you sent is pretty consistently maintained throughout this band's discography, which I spent a good bit of time getting to know. The debut is a bit rough around the edges, and their 2006 album Burning Halo is a mish mash of different things and doesn't really work that well. But all their other albums get a solid 4 stars from me, very engaging and melancholic doom metal.

The Burning Halo is definitely not as cohesive.  It's a mixture of re-recordings of older songs, some newer ones at the time, and some covers.  It's something I would suggest people newer to them skip at first and get into later.  To be honest I don't listen to the pre-Turning Season Within albums nearly as much.  By any chance did you pay more attention to "The Wretched Tide" on Sovran?  That's the one I felt worst about having to leave off even with your 20-minute time limit. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3429 on: September 14, 2023, 01:55:06 PM »
The Burning Halo is definitely not as cohesive.  It's a mixture of re-recordings of older songs, some newer ones at the time, and some covers.  It's something I would suggest people newer to them skip at first and get into later.
Yeah I get that. It's not bad, but when their other albums are better I don't think I'll have much need for it.

To be honest I don't listen to the pre-Turning Season Within albums nearly as much.
I'm obviously fairly new to all of them, but yeah Turning onwards is consistently great. That said, Arcane Rain Fell is excellent as well based on the three listens I've given it.

By any chance did you pay more attention to "The Wretched Tide" on Sovran?  That's the one I felt worst about having to leave off even with your 20-minute time limit. 
Yeah it's a good one - really nice chorus - but I don't know that it stands out all that much because the whole album is great, probably my favourite.

I be am boner inducing.