Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91873 times)

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 5 (7-10)
« Reply #3325 on: July 22, 2023, 09:30:23 AM »
Seems I need to give Sarah Jarosz a listen.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3326 on: July 22, 2023, 09:34:38 AM »
Suck it Litho, I told you Cytherean was great. :neverusethis:

Turning Adam Neely into Han-Tyumi cancels out the jazziness.  :p

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3327 on: July 22, 2023, 09:36:11 AM »
Suck it Litho, I told you Cytherean was great. :neverusethis:

Turning Adam Neely into Han-Tyumi cancels out the jazziness.  :p

You need to work on your cyborgphobia. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3328 on: July 22, 2023, 09:49:57 AM »
I'm picky about synthetic vocals like Crow is about black metal and ariich is about instrumental guitar music.  ;)

Offline nick_z

Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 3 (14-17)
« Reply #3329 on: July 22, 2023, 10:46:56 AM »
You’re midget
woah is 1.65m considered midget in 2023 rly??

Metric??

I.e. the only measurement system that makes sense  :biggrin:

Incidentally - since we are quoting Sacul - I want to reiterate how freakin' fantastic Kyuss' Green Machine is. Been in love with that song since I first saw the video on tv back in 1992. When the drums come in to propel that riff, man. It's one of those moments.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3330 on: July 22, 2023, 12:03:22 PM »
well we're reaching the point where i know my EP wasn't a total flop, at least  :corn

i am in suspense

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3331 on: July 22, 2023, 07:57:53 PM »
Yeah, couldn't hold the quality unfortunately.  I thought Kreator would have been up there too but that's where it started to fall apart and I guess I knew from that round it was over so probably didn't put as much in it from there to be honest Rich.  To be fair, haven't been on here as much anyway to due life shit.

Glad you are checking out KOK though, I'm doing the same so mission accomplished I guess.  Wonderful band.  Armada is incredible if you haven't gotten onto that one.

For Brymir, their last one, Voices in the Sky is excellent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3332 on: July 22, 2023, 08:59:20 PM »
Glad you are checking out KOK though, I'm doing the same so mission accomplished I guess.  Wonderful band.  Armada is incredible if you haven't gotten onto that one.
Armada and Kolossus is where it's at for me. The band kind of lost the plot after those albums.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3333 on: July 22, 2023, 09:01:22 PM »
Glad you are checking out KOK though
:hat

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3334 on: July 23, 2023, 04:35:02 AM »
Armada and Kolossus is where it's at for me. The band kind of lost the plot after those albums.

Gotta dive into the others but the new one is pretty good too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3335 on: July 23, 2023, 08:21:44 AM »
Yeah the new album is amazing, currently my favourite. Armada and Kolossus are the next best for sure but I think everything in between is also excellent.

I've had a lot on this weekend but I hope to be able to get the last two batches of results up tonight. I'll keep you updated if not!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3336 on: July 23, 2023, 08:24:07 AM »
Looking forward to read the results in the morning!

Congrats ariich!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3337 on: July 23, 2023, 08:30:39 AM »
By the way here's the narrative I sent to ariich in case anyone's interested (there was more in my PM but this is the official part):

Arrogance

Years ago, a tenuous Pact between the Earth and humanity was finally reached after a prolonged time of mutual hatred and struggle for survival. With technological progress running rampant and amok, the Earth was driven to her breaking point. Yet now, and ever since humans have amended their ways, their relationship, while still strained, has turned the corner. Time is a great healer, as they say.

But one day, the history was bound to repeat itself.

There is a young woman, Lys, who acted as an ambassador for Earth all these years, and the title is hers by right. While you may find her serene and content, she is far from it—she is aware of every single tremble of leaves on the wind, every single wave of the seas raging while the inevitable storms come, every volcano grumbling uneasily, containing the eruptions as long as the Earth adheres to the Pact. It became easier for her as of late, now that the blinding hatred of humanity has been continuously ebbing away. Mother Earth doesn't know mercy or love as we know and experience it, but it does know hatred and pride and grudging respect.

There is an old man, Ophiar, who acted as an ambassador for humans back in the days, and is now on his death's door. He was behind the most of the Pact—he pushed for the remaining humans to abandon the cities, the factories, and the wonders they built, and go back to the old days of living in the wilderness. He is one of the few who still remembers the extinction war against the very nature, and knows better to dig up the old secrets and histories. His days on Earth are numbered, and the Earth herself will weep when his time comes.

There is an ambitious man, Nathan, who was born long after the Pact was made. Raised on the cautionary tales about the past, he dreams about returning the humanity its former glory. When there are no more voices left in the world to warn the young off that dangerous path to inevitable doom, he will attempt to seize the opportunity to unite the settlements and lead humanity to a better future as the new ambassador. After all, the secrets long buried in the cracked and broken and abandoned cities are all still there, ripe for the taking.

And then there is the Earth herself, wiser and far less patient than the last time. She is not going to endure years of constant abuse again. Yet as the humanity sets their eyes on the potential glory, and the black smoke from the factories once again threatens to cloud the sun, moon and stars, there is one last attempt to be made, out of respect. The ambassadors will meet, and try to come to an agreement, and if it can't be reached...

Well, if Mother Earth has to burn, this time she will burn on her terms.

1. Kalandra - Borders [Lys]
2. Árstíðir - Shine [Ophiar]
3. Kalandra - Brave New World [Lys]
4. Scorpions - We Will Rise Again [Nathan]
5. The Gathering - Monsters [Lys]
6. Currents - Monsters [Nathan]
7. So Hideous - Relinquish (Orchestral) [Mother Earth - Outro]

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0uSGuhv4glT8tePTqmdhfx

Total length: 32:56
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3338 on: July 23, 2023, 10:55:49 AM »
Damn it Ruslan, you’re gonna make my narrative look even more amateur than it already is!

Really cool story though dude, I might give the EP another listen with it in mind.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 6 (4-6)
« Reply #3339 on: July 23, 2023, 01:37:45 PM »
FINAL RESULTS, part 6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
nick_z – A Journey of Muses
1. Royal Thunder - Time Machine
2. Madder Mortem - Rust Cleansing
3. Secret Shame - Saccharine Dream
4. Bat For Lashes - Moon And Moon
5. Bat For Lashes - Daniel
6. The Gathering - Saturnine

First impression: I like the way this covers different styles but has a consistent tone to it, which helps it feel coherent. The songs all seem pretty strong in a moody sort of way, with one artist in particular standing out immediately.

Favourite: Bat For Lashes - Moon And Moon
Least favourite: Secret Shame - Saccharine Dream

Final opinion: So the brief you set yourself here was a selection of artists with great female vocals that are a little unusual for their genres. Like I said in my first impressions, there are different styles covered but it's a very coherent selection and all the singers are fantastic.

We start with Royal Thunder, and really this is a very close second favourite behind Bat for Lashes. Her voice is amazing, with a dark and brooding tone but absolutely belting it out when she needs to. And the song is similarly excellent - nothing special at the start (although still really good) but wonderful in the way it develops, and by the end it has a very immersive sound.

You may have noticed that the Madder Mortem song is no longer my least favourite. On this final listen, the song has finally (somewhat) clicked! There are still moments that don’t quite grab me melodically, particularly the chorus which I find a little weak. But otherwise, there's plenty to like about it including great vocals, some nice crunchy riffing and essentially two really engaging bridge sections.

Secret Shame then are the ones to now take the bottom spot. There’s a slightly more chilled out, almost poppy tone here with some post-rock/post-punk influences. It’s very pleasant, but it starts fairly nondescript and while it does become quite engaging once it gets going, it never really develops into anything I find hugely exciting.

Bat for Lashes is my favourite of the bunch, and another of those artists I feel like I should have heard before (there have been a few of those in this roulette!). Moon and Moon especially is just so haunting and beautiful. Daniel isn’t quite so rich melodically, but it does more in the way of production and arrangement - some interesting sounds and flourishes - to be rich in other ways instead.

And finally, The Gathering. Not the only stuff of theirs I’ve been sent in a roulette, or indeed even in this round. I’ve always liked Anneke as a singer, but my previous experience with The Gathering has not been that exciting. I don’t know that this is vastly different, but the main themes in the song - especially the chorus - are really engaging. I guess I should explore them a bit further this time.

The flow on this EP is really good. There isn’t really a discernible emotional arc here - like Reaper and lonestar, it’s more a collection of songs that fits together well. Differences in style might have made some songs feel disconnected, but the consistency of tone keeps it feeling coherent and the ordering works well to help it all flow smoothly.

Music quality score: 8.3
Flow score: 4.0
EP total: 12.3

Roulette total = 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.0 + (8.3 + 4.0) = 62.2

Final position: 6th

Like Litho, you're one of my highest scoring first-timers in recent roulettes - in fact your average score is pretty much identical and you only ended up higher because of the flow of your EP. Not a single score below 8 either! Which means of course that I'm looking forward to checking out everything you sent me! It was a great mix you sent too - before this roulette I'd mostly interacted with you in extreme metal related threads, so it's been fantastic to get a sense of your tastes in general. Thanks for playing and I hope you'll join again next time I do one of these!

TAC – Drown
1. Moonloop - Oceans
2. Horizon Ignited - Eventide Of Abysmal Grief
3. Existem - The Drowning
4. Moonshade - A Dreamless Slumber

First impression: This EP is structurally simple, which helps it flow pretty smoothly. I hear a surprising amount of early Haken in the first song, while the rest is more the sort of thing I’d normally expect from you.

Favourite: Horizon Ignited - Eventide Of Abysmal Grief
Least favourite: Moonloop - Oceans

Final opinion: You took a very similar approach here to the last time I did an EP round - four songs by four metal bands - and again you’ve done a pretty great job with it. The quality is maybe not quite as high on average this time - nothing as special as Enshine here - but it’s still strong and this one flows even better I think.

Starting with Moonloop and good lord these guys sound so much like early Haken. :lol Even the sections with the growls are not dissimilar to some of the stuff on their demo. Anyway it’s a good song but I wouldn’t say a great one. There are some strong ideas here and there, but it’s all pretty messy and there aren’t really any interesting focal points, like good melodies that I can latch onto. Definitely reminds me of the Darkaeon song from the last EP you sent me.

Thankfully everything else is much stronger. The Horizon Ignited and Moonshade songs are both really top-notch melodic death metal. Slick and engaging guitar work, a big sound and great use of clean vocals alongside the growls to really maintain a strong melodic focus. I don’t know that either song is hugely original, but they’re both really good at what they do. And the Moonshade definitely has an Insomnium vibe about it, which you know I’m a sucker for.

In between those two is some prog metal in the form of Existem. This is definitely stronger than the Moonloop when it comes to prog metal. The riffing is tight, the song’s structure is well-composed, and it has some great melodic hooks throughout. The moments of harsh vocals also help to connect this song to the others.

On which note, this EP mostly flows really great. Despite essentially switching between prog metal and melodic death metal, there is enough consistency of tone and arrangement - such as the mix of clean and harsh vocals in every song - that everything fits together nicely. It’s also supported pretty well by the narrative you provided, although actually I think even without that there’s an emotional arc in the music itself, and the way the heavy instrumentation fades out in A Dreamless Slumber to finish on a delicate note is a great way to end it. The only reason this didn’t score higher for flow is that the Moonloop song does sound a bit disconnected from the rest.

Music quality score: 8.3
Flow score: 4.1
EP total: 12.4

Roulette total = 8.2 + 8.7 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 + (8.3 + 4.1) = 62.4

Final position: 5th

It's amazing to think that back in my album roulette era you used to struggle, considering you've now finished top 5 in all three of my up-to-20-minute-submissions roulettes. It only takes a quick glance at your scores to see how remarkably consistent you were this time around. The only difference between you and those placed above you is they had more in the way of particularly high scores and/or even better EP flow. Thanks once again for always being such a great part of my roulettes and for giving me too much music to want to dig into.

Luoto – Pohjola: Maiden of the North
1. Swallow the Sun - These Low Lands
2. Viikate - Suruvaippa
3. Vermilia - Maisema
4. Kamara - Pohjola (Osa 1): Veritaivas
5. Kamara - Pohjola (Osa 2): Ajattomuuden kaiku

First impression: Gloomy but ethereal and rather engaging. There’s a nice bit of variety here in terms of energy but it flows smoothly.

Favourite: Kamara - Pohjola (Osa 2): Ajattomuuden kaiku
Least favourite: Swallow the Sun - These Low Lands

Final opinion: Apparently you have a knack for making EPs that I love. There’s a variety of styles here, and some of the artists I even find quite difficult to place in terms of genre, but just like last time you’ve created something with no particular narrative that nevertheless takes me on a wonderfully immersive journey.

Swallow the Sun is the only artist here that I know already, but this is a cover so I guess it’s a little different. The pace is a little plodding, which is exactly what I’d expect from this band, but musically it’s very rich and probably more to my tastes than what I’ve heard from them before. It’s the weakest of a very strong set of songs, and it’s still very good.

The Viikate song kicks off the Finnish-language series that makes up the rest of the EP. It’s very moody and mellow folk-inspired stuff and rather lovely. Despite loving a lot of Finnish music, I’ve heard very little that’s in the native language. It works so well here, really adding to the atmosphere of the song.

The transition into the Vermilia song is perfect, maintaining the gloomy folk mood but developing it into something more expansive, starting delicate and working up through folk rock right up to folk/black metal in the latter parts. It’s another great and very immersive song.

And finally the two-parter from Kamara, again all in Finnish. This stuff is absolutely fantastic. I don’t really know how to define it other than it clearly being some sort of extreme metal. Across the two songs they seem to cover folk metal, melodic death metal and even some classic thrash/heavy metal influences in spots. It’s just really punchy and dynamic, and I love it. For something that sounds so accomplished, it surprises me to see only two ratings for this album on RYM.

Just like last time, you didn’t need a narrative or an edited mp3 to send me one of the best flowing EPs of the round. The songs all fit together very well in style and in concept, the transitions between each are very smooth and logical, and there’s a gorgeous emotional arc to the whole EP.

Music quality score: 8.5
Flow score: 4.5
EP total: 13.0

Roulette total = 8.3 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.6 + 8.2 + 7.9 + (8.5 + 4.5) = 62.7

Final position: 4th

It's been great having you back after you skipped my fogey roulette! Your ability to find metal that I haven't heard but end up loving - both from gaps in my collection and from genuinely obscure bands - is pretty amazing. Despite a couple of slight dips in score, the rest was so consistent with a fair few peaks that you still worked your way to a 4th place finish. I'm most excited about Rioghan, Kalmah and most of the EP artists, but pretty interested in all of it really!

These graphs - and the points one especially - show just how closely the three of you followed each other around in this roulette!

Click the graphs to enlarge.

I be am boner inducing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3340 on: July 23, 2023, 01:41:25 PM »
Well, at least I didn't fall off the podium :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3341 on: July 23, 2023, 01:43:23 PM »
I still think I probably fell just short of Ruslan and Crow. They are both EP pros. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3342 on: July 23, 2023, 01:49:38 PM »
Top 5 :metal

I'll take it.

Great job Ariich. You put down a lot of music.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3343 on: July 23, 2023, 01:55:36 PM »
Catching up on a bunch of stuff now that I'm finally back from a day out. Kids are in bed so once I've cleared everything up and made lunches for tomorrow, I should be good to finish the final results.

In looking at the graph, I realize that I coulda been a contender if not for the score for Rik Emmett!
A lot of people in the top half of the table have something very similar! :lol

thanks for taking on this enormous task with such vigor. You shame all other roulette runners with your commitment man.

+1
You guys. :heart

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully I'm not in the next batch :lol
Good news!

So it was a matter of how can I fit together the wild differences of some film score cinematic classical, a variety of 00s-era melodeath, and a mellow folky tune, and I had the epiphany of tying it into the overall roulette theme.  So I'm pretty happy with how I managed to sequence it as best as I could, though I knew the flow was risky and could have potentially scored even lower.  It's probably the reverse way to come up with flow, so that part is better than I feared. 
Yeah for sure, it wasn't perfect but I thought it worked ok!

It's also interesting that you considered the Nightrage -> Jarosz flow as the worst, since I thought the former going acoustic transitioned them reasonably well, and the folk -> electronics shift to Sybreed would be more jarring (plus the impression hinting that they were contrasting as best/worst cuts) in spite of the fade-out/fade-in of each track and them being in the same key smoothing it out a bit.
I probably wasn't clear enough in my explanation but I didn't mean it was specifically the transition into Jarosz that wasn't great for flow, but more the placement of Jarosz within the middle of the EP generally. As you say, in terms of specifics the transition out is the more sudden one.

It's fascinating that you didn't like the chorus of "Ego Bypass Generator" - their hooky choruses are often considered one of the highlights of their music.  I guess that one just fell flat.  Maybe they won't hit for you like Insomnium so far hasn't totally connected for me, but if you have time at some point, definitely give that album a spin, or I can point out some of their other standout tracks.
I liked the sound so I'll definitely check out at least an album. As you say, maybe it's just that one that didn't work for me - it's also the case with some Soilwork songs even though I love a lot of their choruses. I'd normally go for the album that the song I was sent comes from, but if you have an alternative recommendation I'm all ears.

I'm annoyed that I've missed out on the first seven of these, but glad to finally be part of one, it's been a delight.  Once the roulette is over I have a couple other things I'll send, an alternate for round 5 I axed after the Keaggy disaster, and an alternate for round 6 that I'll mention more about when I send it. 
So glad you've enjoyed it, and that sounds great for post-roulette submissions - send them my way and I'll listen and report back. I definitely plan to post follow-ups this time, something I ended up not managing to get back to after my fogey roulette.

Thanks for having me! It says a lot about how well I did in one of your earlier roulettes that all 8s still feels like underperforming a bit. :lol But I'm very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on each of the bands you check out!
I know what you mean. :lol I think on that occasion is was (almost) all 8s with some of them being high 8s. It was the latter part you didn't quite manage this time.

Dalatecht is from the soundtrack to Amplitude, which you can't really download or stream anywhere legitimately. But someone posted a download link on Reddit with the whole thing (a disgruntled former employee, I hypothesize :lol) and I managed to grab it. I think you'd like it a lot, yeah it's a soundtrack but it's basically structured like a concept album. Hit me up if you want me to send it to you.
Sounds interesting, I'll see if I can find it but may be in touch if not!

Yeah, couldn't hold the quality unfortunately.  I thought Kreator would have been up there too but that's where it started to fall apart and I guess I knew from that round it was over so probably didn't put as much in it from there to be honest Rich.  To be fair, haven't been on here as much anyway to due life shit.
Wasn't aware of that, but thanks for still sending me lots of great metal and always doing it on time!

Congrats ariich!
Yeah I do always feel like the real winner in my own roulettes. :biggrin:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3344 on: July 23, 2023, 02:12:47 PM »
oh it's ON like diddy kong
let's see if my tiny lead holds up over the other EPs also being obviously very good (i haven't listened to them but obviously ariich liked them a lot, they had to have scored at least 12.6/7 to still be here so  :corn

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3345 on: July 23, 2023, 02:17:20 PM »
Can confirm that all three EPs are excellent.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #3346 on: July 23, 2023, 02:39:17 PM »
nick_z – A Journey of Muses

Like Litho, you're one of my highest scoring first-timers in recent roulettes - in fact your average score is pretty much identical and you only ended up higher because of the flow of your EP. Not a single score below 8 either! Which means of course that I'm looking forward to checking out everything you sent me! It was a great mix you sent too - before this roulette I'd mostly interacted with you in extreme metal related threads, so it's been fantastic to get a sense of your tastes in general. Thanks for playing and I hope you'll join again next time I do one of these!

It's been an absolute pleasure participating - thank you for having me and for being such a gracious host  :)

Funnily enough, I certainly wouldn't say extreme metal is my bread and butter. I do however like to listen to all sorts of genres, from pop to harsher stuff, and I certainly enjoy my fair share of death metal-related bands.

Not surprisingly, given where we are, my all-time top bands happen to be in the hard rock/metal realm...Rush and Dream Theater, then Paradise Lost and Iron Maiden following with, well, a bunch of others - Queensryche, Katatonia, Amorphis and some first-loves like Metallica that won't ever fade no matter how far their glory days are. But there are so many bands/artists waiting to be discovered. I'm always on the hunt  :)

I obviously love prog and, as you might have noticed, I have a particularly soft spot for melancholic moods in music, no matter what form they come through.

As for The Gathering: at the very least, you should check out their first two albums with Anneke, Mandylion and Nighttime Birds. In fact, there were a couple of tunes in the running for the EP from Mandylion. That album was such a revelation when it came out - Anneke's amazing performance on it was certainly a big component, but the whole thing is, to this day, so unique.

Anyway - thanks again, this was a ton of fun!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3347 on: July 23, 2023, 02:42:11 PM »
Nick, I'm expecting you in my next roulette.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3348 on: July 23, 2023, 03:02:07 PM »
Nick, I'm expecting you in my next roulette.
I'm expecting him to run a roulette. Soon! :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3349 on: July 23, 2023, 03:02:45 PM »
High note finish, let's go :metal

That Viikate song is actually on the lighter end of their material. They're a unique blend of hard rock, a low baritone vocalist and those 60's style twangy lead guitars. And that particular Kamara album has some of the best metal that's sung in Finnish, though I don't quite consider it excellent as a whole. They have a great knack of throwing black metal into that mix.

And I almost forgot... bonus Tomi Joutsen on These Low Lands. I forgot he's a guest on it when looking it up :lol
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3350 on: July 23, 2023, 03:04:09 PM »
High note finish, let's go :metal

That Viikate song is actually on the lighter end of their material. They're a unique blend of hard rock, a low baritone vocalist and those 60's style twangy lead guitars. And that particular Kamara album has some of the best metal that's sung in Finnish, though I don't quite consider it excellent as a whole. They have a great knack of throwing black metal into that mix.
You had me at Finnish and Black Metal :lol :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results - we have a winner!
« Reply #3351 on: July 23, 2023, 04:13:06 PM »
FINAL RESULTS, part 7 of 7

Puppies – Hidden
1. VYGR - Orbital Hallucinations [intro]
2. Archivist - Tying Up Loose Ends in the Cold Void of Space
3. Woods of Desolation - And If All the Stars Faded Away
4. Fen - The Dying Stars
5. Esoteric - Beneath This Face

First impression: I almost wish I could award points for story because you’ve absolutely nailed how the music supports the narrative here. There are some wonderful moments in the music, but it’s intense and some of the vocals aren’t my favourite.

Favourite: Archivist - Tying Up Loose Ends in the Cold Void of Space
Least favourite: Esoteric - Beneath This Face

Final opinion: This is a fantastic EP that probably would have been the best of the round had the last song been more interesting. The narrative is great (bleak as hell, but compelling) and tied into the style and tone of the music. But more importantly (for scores, anyway) the music itself is great and flows smoothly.

The VYGR tracks is just an atmospheric intro, so I’ll jump straight to Archivist. Funny enough, the EP basically gets a bit less good with each song, but because it starts so great, that’s not in itself a bad thing. I wasn’t too keen on the vocals in the Archivist song at first - the harshes are pretty intense and the cleans are kind of weak, but they work well enough for the song and the song is so good. Just really grand, epic and immersive and with several really lush sections.

The Woods of Desolation song is a relatively short one and it sort of continues the heavy side of the Archivist, with broadly speaking the same qualities that make it appealing. It’s intense and grand and melodic and immersive.

Fen are a band that I have heard before and found decent but not been hugely taken by. In fact it was you who included a song of theirs in your concept album in my v5 roulette. I checked out that album but I didn’t love it. This song sounds more my thing! Again it has many of the qualities of the previous two tracks, if not quite so lush, but there’s more of a wistful, introspective feel to it and it helps move on the emotional arc of the EP.

And then finally to Esoteric. The song works perfectly for your narrative, in terms of both the universe and the character’s mental state breaking down, but in itself it’s not entirely my thing. It’s melodically pretty dense, which can work in short bursts but this is a long song and it kind of drags on.

Flow-wise, this is one of the best of the round. While the music gets less to my taste as the EP goes on, that’s in part because it becomes less richly melodic and more dense and intense, reflecting what’s going on in the narrative. Combine that with high quality editing of the mp3 for some really smooth transitions between tracks and it really is a great listen.

Music quality score: 8.4
Flow score: 4.5
EP total: 12.9

Roulette total = 7.9 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 7.8 + 9.0 + 8.8 + (8.4 + 4.5) = 63.0

Final position: 2nd (joint)

16th after round 1, 14th after round 4 and somehow finished 2nd. That was a hell of a comeback in the last few rounds, almost causing one of the biggest upsets in roulette history. Even those two weaker rounds I’m pretty interested in, but everything else (except Esoteric probably) I’m really excited to explore. Thanks for always trying out different things on me, even if they don’t all work out they expose me to interesting music I wouldn’t otherwise hear, and when they do hit the mark, boy do they hit the mark.

Evermind – Arrogance
1. Kalandra - Borders
2. Árstíðir - Shine
3. Kalandra - Brave New World
4. Scorpions - We Will Rise Again
5. The Gathering - Monsters
6. Currents - Monsters
7. So Hideous - Relinquish (Orchestral) [outro]

First impression: This EP has a long slow build in the first half but it’s very engaging and the narrative is part of that. The artists I haven’t heard before are my favourites here, but you’ve also made good use of those I have.

Favourite: Kalandra - Borders
Least favourite: The Gathering - Monsters

Final opinion: Oh man, the first half of this EP is so ludicrously good that it’s a real shame the second half doesn’t quite stack up. That said, it’s still a really great EP overall - one of the best of the round and a big step up from what you sent in my v6 roulette. Just like what Puppies sent, the narrative is amazing and really evocative - unfortunately, there are no points for the story!

We start with one of my absolute favourite artists of the entire roulette, Kalandra. I would have questioned why you didn’t send them in a regular round, but I can see that they were the inspiration for this whole EP and it was indeed inspired. The music is just so rich and beautiful, gorgeously melancholy and yet hopeful and vibrant. What it represents in the story fits perfectly with the sound and the music and I just can’t get enough of these songs.

The Árstíðir song that comes between them was a real grower, and is also wonderful. I’ve heard an album of theirs before and I don’t remember it being anywhere near this lush and emotionally engaging. Very moody and sorrowful. Again a great fit for the character it represents, and the way it works with the Kalandra songs that sit either side of it is amazing.

The second act, as it were, takes quite a turn in style, and we have two more artists who, firstly, I’ve heard before and, secondly, I was also sent by someone else in this round. :lol Just like the ones Stadler sent, this Scorpions song has made me want to try again with the band. It’s not mind-blowing - a definite step down from the first half of the EP - but it’s a solid piece of emotional hard rock. Similarly, The Gathering song, while the weakest on the EP, is similar to the one Nick sent in being more interesting than what I’ve heard from them before.

And then with the biggest shift of all, we come to some full-on metalcore. Regardless of the way this flows (which I’ll come onto shortly), in itself this is a pretty great song. Intense but very melodic, with some big soaring tuneful sections that are right up my alley.

And finally the outro which is an orchestral arrangement of a So Hideous song. As an outro (being in addition to the 5 main artists for the EP) you included this for flow and narrative and it doesn’t affect your quality score, which is probably a good thing as, while it’s effective in what it represents in the story, it’s not that exciting and does drag on quite long.

The flow of this EP pretty much runs parallel to the quality of the music. The first half is so good - it’s a slow build but the way it develops is stunning, and the narrative, while not essential, is the icing on the cake. The second half doesn’t work quite so well. It’s still good and I think your story really helps because the shift in sound from primarily organic sounds to electronic/industrial ones makes complete sense, as do the quite big movements in musical style. I can’t fault it from the perspective of the music matching the narrative, but compared with the highest flow scores of the round, this falls slightly short because the changes in style are just a little too big.

Music quality score: 8.6
Flow score: 4.2
EP total: 12.8

Roulette total = 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.7 + (8.6 + 4.2) = 63.0

Final position: 2nd (joint)

How many of my roulettes can you almost win?! That’s now three full roulettes without a single score lower than 8.1. I can’t take the blame for screwing you over with nonsensical rules this time though. :lol For most of the roulette you were tracking along with Buddy comfortably in the top half of the table, always an 8.2 or higher, but not looking likely to retain your title. And then suddenly an incredible push in the last two rounds. Honestly, the first time I was listening through and got halfway into your EP I thought you might have somehow pulled it off. But it was gracious of you to let someone else take it this time. Thank you so much for always sending me so much great music!

Crow – Sonoran Sunset Skies
1. My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday
2. Zach Bryan - Dawns
3. Orville Peck - Kalahari Down
4. Trophy Scars - Everything Disappearing
5. Car Seat Headrest - Twin Fantasy (Those Boys)

First impression: This started rather more middle-of-the-road than I might have expected from you. That said, it picks up a lot and there’s an emotional warmth that threads through the whole EP.

Favourite: Orville Peck - Kalahari Down
Least favourite: My Morning Jacket - One Big Holiday

Final opinion: I mean, you cut this pretty fine but yes, you did it! This isn’t quite up there with the very best EPs of the round but it’s still really damn good and every song on it was a grower, except for Kalahari Down which I loved immediately.

I completely agree with you that the EP starts with the two weakest songs, but they’re still very good. My Morning Jacket are one of those bands whose name I’m very familiar with but who I’ve never heard. I stand by my first impression, but the song did grow on me a fair bit. Mainly it’s the guitar motifs that are really engaging and have a very emotive tone to them. The thing that holds the song back for me is the vocals - they’re fairly weak, and the verses especially are a bit uninteresting. The Zach Bryan is a bit of a step up - nothing quite so engaging as the guitar work from the previous song, but the vocal melodies and delivery are much more compelling and the indie folk vibe.

Orville Peck seems like such an interesting and unusual character. The music here is predominantly very classic and old fashioned - barely any indication that he’s a young, modern musician other than, perhaps, some of the subtle nuances in the sound production. But the song is just wonderful - incredibly elegant and rich and his voice is so warm and intriguing. Really lovely stuff.

The Trophy Scars song was the biggest grower of the EP and to be honest one of the biggest of the entire round. It starts fine - the acoustic guitar line kind of reminds of the Blue EP from the Dear Hunter’s Color Spectrum - but it’s the way the song builds and develops that is kind of mesmerising, and especially the last few minutes are just so emotionally intense and engaging. The strings, the yells and the slightly haunting female vocals all just come together so wonderfully and turn it into a completely different song from where it started.

And finally, Car Seat Headrest. Closer in quality to the first two songs really, lacking a bit of punch and energy at times maybe but it has a very wistful mood and emotion to it and it gets quite affecting once it picks up halfway through.

Which seems like a good time to talk about flow, because that last song works great as a closer and exemplifies what’s great about this EP flows. I know there wasn’t a specific narrative (I got the impression from your EP that you didn’t even have a loose story in mind) but more an emotional arc, and it really does work very well. There aren’t really segues between tracks, but the editing still helps the transitions feel smooth and despite the EP covering a few different types of country-adjacent music it all fits together nicely.

Music quality score: 8.4
Flow score: 4.3
EP total: 12.7

Roulette total = 8.8 + 8.4 + 8.6 + 8.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 + (8.4 + 4.3) = 63.2

Final position: WINNER

I checked, and over the course of my 8 roulettes (so far) you have been my most regular customer, having sent me more music than anyone else - 42 actual roulette rounds, not including post-roulette stuff you’ve sent me, compared with the next highest of 34 rounds from jingle and Puppies. In a way it sort of feels right that you finally win one. It finished very close in the end - Puppies and Evermind really made a strong push in the last two rounds, but fortunately your early lead was so commanding as to be able to hold them back. Your rank graph is amusingly dull, but the points one shows how others sort of took it in turns to compete but none managed to maintain it to actually challenge you in the end. Thanks for all the music you’ve sent me over the years and for the consistently great stuff in this roulette, can’t wait to dig into it all!

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3352 on: July 23, 2023, 04:13:11 PM »
Final results:

1. Crow     = 8.8 + 8.4 + 8.6 + 8.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 + (8.4 + 4.3) = 63.2
 2. Evermind = 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.7 + (8.6 + 4.2) = 63.0
 2. Puppies  = 7.9 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 7.8 + 9.0 + 8.8 + (8.4 + 4.5) = 63.0
 4. Luoto    = 8.3 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.6 + 8.2 + 7.9 + (8.5 + 4.5) = 62.7
 5. TAC      = 8.2 + 8.7 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 + (8.3 + 4.1) = 62.4
 6. nick_z   = 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.0 + (8.3 + 4.0) = 62.2
 7. Buddy    = 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.0 + 8.1 + (8.4 + 4.3) = 62.1
 7. Litho    = 8.3 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 8.4 + 8.8 + 8.3 + (8.3 + 3.8) = 62.1
 9. wolfking = 8.6 + 8.1 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 7.8 + (8.1 + 3.8) = 61.7
10. lonestar = 7.8 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 + (8.4 + 4.0) = 61.3
11. soupy    = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.2 + 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.0 + (8.0 + 4.0) = 61.2
11. jingle   = 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.6 + 8.4 + 8.1 + 8.2 + (8.1 + 3.9) = 61.2
11. seneca   = 7.6 + 8.3 + 7.8 + 8.6 + 8.3 + 8.5 + (8.2 + 3.9) = 61.2
14. luke     = 8.2 + 7.9 + 8.2 + 7.9 + 8.5 + 7.8 + (8.2 + 4.2) = 60.9
15. romdrums = 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.2 + (7.8 + 3.9) = 60.8
16. Sacul    = 8.3 + 8.9 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 7.9 + 8.1 + (7.6 + 3.8) = 60.4
16. King     = 7.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.8 + 7.7 + 8.4 + (8.4 + 4.4) = 60.4
18. Vmadera  = 8.0 + 8.0 + 7.3 + 8.3 + 7.9 + 8.2 + (8.3 + 4.1) = 60.1
19. Reaper   = 7.6 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.2 + (7.9 + 4.0) = 59.7
20. HOF      = 7.5 + 7.9 + 8.7 + 7.7 + 7.5 + 8.4 + (8.0 + 3.9) = 59.6
21. Stadler  = 7.9 + 8.4 + 7.9 + 7.4 + 8.0 + 7.4 + (8.2 + 4.2) = 59.4
22. faizoff  = 7.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 7.0 + 8.1 + 7.7 + (8.2 + 3.7) = 58.4
23. Glasser  = 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.8 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.9 + (6.6 + 2.0) = 57.9
DNF Elite    = 7.8 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.2 + 7.9 + 8.4 = 46.8 after 6 rounds

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3353 on: July 23, 2023, 04:16:14 PM »
Wow...I'm totally shocked.

Congrats crow, and thanks again Rich for running this, it's been a hell of a lot of fun.

I have no idea how you manage to not only listen to all that music, but also do the sheets and graphs and shit...I got 1 spreadsheet going to track people and songs and score and I'm borderline baffled, I'm way more at home with dead animals.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3354 on: July 23, 2023, 04:18:37 PM »
Congrats Crow!

Rich, I had a blast and got a big list of new bands to check out. Thank you.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3355 on: July 23, 2023, 04:19:40 PM »
I have no idea how you manage to not only listen to all that music, but also do the sheets and graphs and shit...I got 1 spreadsheet going to track people and songs and score and I'm borderline baffled, I'm way more at home with dead animals.
Well, I'm generally pretty capable with spreadsheets, which helps, but also I've built up and developed my approach to the spreadsheets over the past 3 or 4 roulettes such that a lot of it is semi-automated now, I just put in the scores and then sort things in the right way and occasionally update formulae. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3356 on: July 23, 2023, 04:20:00 PM »
Rich, I had a blast and got a big list of new bands to check out. Thank you.
Mine is bigger. :eyebrows:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3357 on: July 23, 2023, 04:23:03 PM »
Yeah but you finish too quickly.

Tee Hee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3358 on: July 23, 2023, 04:23:42 PM »
Wow...I'm totally shocked.

:lol

Congrats Crow!!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3359 on: July 23, 2023, 04:24:25 PM »
Yeah but you finish too quickly.

Tee Hee.
:lol

Still not quickly enough for Tim...

I be am boner inducing.