Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91762 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 2 (18-20)
« Reply #3290 on: July 21, 2023, 09:16:25 AM »
I'm going in order and your EP is near the end :P

But I'd probably just rank it as position 1,000,008 ;D

I'm on Glasser's rn, and boi oh boi, it's quite the experience :lol

Haha, I'm just busting on you, friend.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 3 (14-17)
« Reply #3291 on: July 21, 2023, 09:20:04 AM »
I’ll take 15th! It’s better than I had hoped. Also glad you loved the EP. Yes it featured two bands you weren’t too thrilled about but I am so happy you liked the Andrew WK album. His work, post I Get Wet, is pretty hit and miss to be honest, but the last album was honestly so damn good. It is like some synthy, sci fi, Meatloaf record or something! And I LOVE IT.
That sounds amazing, can't wait to hear it. :lol

Once we’re done I’ll share my story for my EP.
Feel free to share it whenever you want, no need to hold it back!

I love how the From Weed To Bliss results ends with “joint”.  :lol
:rollin

Not intentional.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3292 on: July 21, 2023, 09:22:01 AM »
:omg:

Damn, I must've done really well.
Currently listening to your EP, I feel ariich would like it way more than I do :lol

*mentally lowers Sacul's score*

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3293 on: July 21, 2023, 09:24:08 AM »
Now, just waiting to hear Sacul’s opinion on it  :corn
Currently listening to yours, I'll keep you updated ;D

:omg:

Damn, I must've done really well.
Currently listening to your EP, I feel ariich would like it way more than I do :lol

*mentally raises Sacul's score to 1 trillion points*
woah thanks chief, sorry luke :hefdaddy :metal

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3294 on: July 21, 2023, 09:38:23 AM »
1 trillion is chump change. Come at me when you score 10 trillion.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3295 on: July 21, 2023, 09:40:46 AM »
 :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: July 21, 2023, 09:42:51 AM »

So far your EP is a mixed bag, has some of the best songs of the round, but some tracks are just mid. Let's see how it ends up.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3297 on: July 21, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »
You’re mid  :P

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3298 on: July 21, 2023, 09:48:06 AM »
You’re midget
woah is 1.65m considered midget in 2023 rly?? so rude and short-people-phobic, im cancelling you on dreamtheaterforums.org smh my head

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3299 on: July 21, 2023, 09:56:42 AM »
You’re midget
woah is 1.65m considered midget in 2023 rly?? so rude and short-people-phobic, im cancelling you on dreamtheaterforums.org smh my head
smhmh

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3300 on: July 21, 2023, 09:59:51 AM »
I love how the From Weed To Bliss results ends with “joint”.  :lol

Rich, thanks for having me.  A.C.T. newer work is quite exciting.  They have a very dramatic flair I like.  The Last album from Barock Project is excellent as well. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3301 on: July 21, 2023, 10:01:46 AM »
King, that Barock Project track was truly awesome. I’ve queued up the album in one of my playlists.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3302 on: July 21, 2023, 10:04:09 AM »
King, that Barock Project track was truly awesome. I’ve queued up the album in one of my playlists.

Their last 2 albums are fantastic.  I saw them at RoSfest and they blew my doors off, live.  As a matter of fact, yesterday, the keyboardist and the lead singer posted a pic of them on the stage.  I made a joke I was the small dot in the back.  The lead singer chuckled at me.  That was an excellent weekend of music.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3303 on: July 21, 2023, 11:16:51 AM »
congrats ariich!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3304 on: July 21, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »
1 trillion is chump change. Come at me when you score 10 trillion.

You're at 110 trillion+ in all roulettes combined, everyone else is just playing for 2nd place now. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3305 on: July 21, 2023, 12:56:27 PM »
You’re midget
woah is 1.65m considered midget in 2023 rly??

Metric??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 4 (11-13)
« Reply #3306 on: July 21, 2023, 03:08:51 PM »
FINAL RESULTS, part 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
jingle – Power|Ballads
1. Poison - Strike Up The Band
2. Poison - Theatre of the Soul
3. Magnus Karlsson’s Free Fall - Not My Saviour
4. Magnus Karlsson’s Free Fall - Stronger
5. Hardline - Rhythm From a Red Car
6. Hardline - 31-91
7. Hardline - In the Hands of Time

First impression: You’re not the only one to go with a heavy and light theme, but I do really like your take on it. Most of the music is not a style that generally tends to excite me, but these songs are enjoyable enough.

Favourite: Magnus Karlsson’s Free Fall - Not My Saviour
Least favourite: Poison - Theatre of the Soul

Final opinion: A solid EP, and I like the way you tackled the ‘dark to light’ theme by choosing three artists and switching between more rocking songs and slower ones.

We start with Poison, who are the band that interests me least here, but the songs are still pretty good. Strike Up the Band especially has a fun, charismatic energy to it and a nice hook in the chorus. There are many slower songs that I love (including some very high scoring ones in my roulettes) but I tend to be more drawn to the more emotive and/or unusual side of the style. Theatre of the Soul hints at that briefly in its heartfelt pre-chorus, but otherwise it's a bit middle-of-the-road for my tastes.

We then move onto Magnus Karlsson’s brand of more modern hard rock/power metal. Slightly on the cheesy side, perhaps, but both really nice songs with very memorable melodies. The chorus of Not My Saviour, especially, is super catchy, while Stronger hits more of the emotive notes that I like in a ballad.

And finally Hardline, who I’m not sure I’d even heard of before. Pretty straightforward classic rock in style, and so it was never likely to blow me away, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how much I dig all three songs anyway. As much slick energy and charisma as the Poison tunes, but with much stronger hooks. Rhythm in a Red Car gets in my head each time I hear it, 31-91 is a gorgeous acoustic guitar interlude (see, this is how to do acoustic noodling!), and In The Hands of Time finishes on a grand note.

Like I said, I really enjoy your take on the theme. I would have scored it higher for flow, but there’s too big a difference in style, production and overall volume between Magnus Karlsson and the older bands for it to work as a smooth listen. As a concept, I feel you would have done better to pick either classic rock or more modern power-ish metal, although of course your quality score would then have depended on what artists you substituted in.

Music quality score: 8.1
Flow score: 3.9
EP total: 12.0

Roulette total = 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.6 + 8.4 + 8.1 + 8.2 + (8.1 + 3.9) = 61.2

Final position: 11th (joint)

As you can see from the graphs, especially the points one, you were the very definition of “middle of the pack” in this roulette. In 5 out of 7 rounds, YOU were the median that everyone else’s scores were being compared against. :lol That’s no bad thing in such a competitive roulette. I feel like my fogey roulette has prompted you to send more classic rock again, while also helping me be more open to it as well, which I think is a good thing for both of us. Thanks for playing once again, and thanks especially for Nuclear Power Trio and Triosphere!

seneca – On Your Rocks
1. Leonard Cohen - Suzanne
2. Tim Buckley - Song to the Siren
3. Josh Ritter - Miles Away
4. Ryan Adams - Oh My Sweet Carolina
5. Patterson Hood - Come Back Little Star
6. Leonard Cohen - Steer Your Way
7. Josh Ritter - All Some Kind of Dream

First impression: Two of these singers sound so similar, are you sure they're separate people? Not sure I loved every song, but there's some lovely stuff and a real warmth throughout.

Favourite: Leonard Cohen - Steer Your Way
Least favourite: Leonard Cohen - Suzanne

Final opinion: An elegant collection of country and country-adjacent songs, all of which are pleasant and some of which are excellent.

As you’ve noticed already, Leonard Cohen offers both my favourite and my least favourite songs here. :lol I suppose they’re both from very different time periods - almost the exact opposite ends of his long career - and are quite different in sound and tone. I’ll mention Tim Buckley here as well, because really those first two songs have a lot in common (even the vocals sound really similar) and to be honest they don’t interest me all that much. But Steer Your Way is fantastic. So dark and evocative. I’ve heard a few Cohen songs before and never felt hugely compelled to dig in, but I’m now very intrigued by his later material.

Josh Ritter is more clearly in a modern folk/country kind of style, and both his songs here are really nice. I don’t have a great deal to say about him other than I like the songs a lot. The writing, the sound and the vocals are all very tasteful and heartfelt.

Ryan Adams I’ve heard of, of course, but I don’t think I’ve ever listened to. I’ve no idea how much this represents his music in general - I gather he also explores more folk rock territory from what I’ve seen about him in the past - but it’s a really lovely song. Very delicate and emotive. The Patterson Hood song is kind of similar - I don’t find his voice quite so engaging, but the song has a real warmth to it and is an incredibly pleasant listen.

The flow is good on the whole. Nothing special really, just a collection of songs in a similar genre and with several common threads running through. The differences in styles and eras very slightly disrupt a smooth listen, but the impact of that is minimised by the general consistency of tone.

Music quality score: 8.2
Flow score: 3.9
EP total: 12.1

Roulette total = 7.6 + 8.3 + 7.8 + 8.6 + 8.3 + 8.5 + (8.2 + 3.9) = 61.2

You didn’t have the strongest start in this roulette, but you sure worked hard to pull yourself back up. In fact, after round 3, you have the 5th highest total score for the rest of the roulette. Some of the indie and country was at least as good - if not even better - than what you sent me back in my v5 album roulette, but it was also nice to see you branch out into some other styles too and get a sense of your tastes more widely, with Dan Swanö’s solo stuff being particularly exciting. It was great to have you back this time, thanks for being involved!

soupy – Cheese Ahoy!
1. Terra Atlantica - Guns and Drums
2. Visions of Atlantis - Legion of the Seas
3. Terra Atlantica - Mermaids Isle
4. Alestorm - Zombies Ate my Pirate Ship
5. Pearl Jam - Among the Waves
6. Alestorm - Shit Boat
7. Katzenjammer - To The Sea
8. Terra Atlantica - The Great Escape
9. Visions of Atlantis - Return to Lemuria

First impression: Yeah ok this is definitely cheesy. :lol I’m not sure any of these artists are likely to be entirely my thing, but it’s a lot of fun for what it is.

Favourite: Visions of Atlantis - Legion of the Seas
Least favourite: Pearl Jam - Among the Waves

Final opinion: We’re going on an adventure! On a boat! The narrative is a bit of silly fun, but musically it turned out surprisingly well. It's very enjoyable, fits the theme perfectly, and even has some genuinely great moments in it.

Terra Atlantica are probably a little on the cheesy end of power metal for me, on the whole, and the pirate/sailor angle nudges it further still in that direction. To be honest, the thing I’m least keen on is the frequent sections that are just power metal covers of other music. So corny. :lol But in the end, the songs are still very enjoyable. Guns and Drums is a bit of fun and very much sets up the EP. The two substantive songs are nothing mind-blowing, but good fun and with nice, easy hooks, and the last few minutes of The Great Escape are actually rather excellent.

When it comes to the power/pirate metal side of this EP, Visions of Atlantis are the band I'm most interested in. Return to Lemuria is perhaps a little cheesy and has some slightly bland moments, but it works well enough as a closer and like The Great Escape it does have some great parts like the guitar and keys solos. But Legion of the Seas is my favourite song here; still cheesy for sure, but a genuinely great bit of power metal with a mega catchy chorus.

Alestorm are generally a pretty hilarious band. I've heard and rated their first few albums and somewhat enjoy them (I even own one of them) but definitely see them as a novelty act. Surprisingly though, Zombies Ate My Pirate Ship is one of the best things I've heard from them. The lyrics are absurd of course, but the music is actually solid symphonic metal and the female guest vocals work great. Shit Boat is… well it's exactly what I expected, but it's hilarious and a lot of fun.

I've never really dug into Pearl Jam and this is not going to prompt me to do so. Just not a style that interests me without strong melodic hooks, of which there are approximately zero.

And finally, Katzenjammer! This song could easily have been my favourite, it was very close. What a wonderfully catchy and entertaining bit of Scandinavian folk music with lovely vocal harmonising.

Flow-wise, this EP is really good. The Pearl Jam kind of sticks out like a sore thumb but the rest has a commonality of production style and nautical vibe such that it all fits together well, and the narrative of the EP gives it all an enjoyable arc and smooth flow.

Music quality score: 8.0
Flow score: 4.0
EP total: 12.0

Roulette total = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.2 + 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.0 + (8.0 + 4.0) = 61.2

Like Chad, you never really strayed far from the median in this roulette and ended up bang on it in the last two rounds. You stuck to your guns (and drums) with quite a lot of power and symphonic metal, with pretty great success! Seven Spires I’m most excited about and indeed I’ve just checked out Gods of Debauchery and it’s a hell of an album. But lots of the other metal you sent was ludicrously catchy as well. It wasn’t just the metal though, The Pierces did great on the lighter side. Thanks for playing and covering a niche not that well represented by the other players!

Click the graphs to enlarge.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3307 on: July 21, 2023, 03:18:28 PM »
I was going to go with 3 bands from the 80s/90s (Skid Row was going to be the third), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity to throw in some Magnus.

Glad you found a few gems.  FWIW, that Hardline debut has both Neal Schon and Dean Castronovo providing the guitar and drum work, and the solo from In The Hands of Time is perhaps my fave Neal Schon solo of all time.

Happy to have maintained the middle-of-the-pack pace throughout.  Steady Eddie!

lonestar really did crush it this round!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3308 on: July 21, 2023, 03:41:43 PM »
Holy shit I leaped 6 spots to a top 10 finish?  :omg: :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3309 on: July 21, 2023, 03:45:02 PM »
Holy shit I leaped 6 spots to a top 10 finish?  :omg: :metal
I think you'll enjoy seeing the graphs once your results are posted - I like having both the rank graph and the points one because it really shows how movements in points can be small or large but rankings don't always move correspondingly!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3310 on: July 21, 2023, 03:51:19 PM »
at least a 10.8! woo!

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3311 on: July 21, 2023, 04:52:36 PM »
Oops forgot to update it, let's see...

• Sacul
  • king pizza and the luke wizard
  • faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • HOF
  • Crow
  • Kinger
  • jingle.boi
  • Glasser

luke, your EP had some fun tracks (Pizza Death), some mid tracks (Andre W.K. and the first Mother's Cake song), and some awesome tracks (King Gizz, and the second Mother's Cake song). So I guess that's a few trillion + 8 points, well done.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3312 on: July 21, 2023, 05:19:31 PM »
I’ll take it, woooooo

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3313 on: July 21, 2023, 06:16:17 PM »

• Sacul
  • faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • HOF
  • Crow
  • Kinger
  • jingle.boi
  • Glasser

luke, your EP had some fun tracks (Pizza Death), some mid tracks (Andre W.K. and the first Mother's Cake song), and some awesome tracks (King Gizz, and the second Mother's Cake song). So I guess that's a few trillion + 8 points, well done.

Mine wasn't even worth listing? :(

Online nick_z

« Reply #3314 on: July 21, 2023, 06:26:43 PM »

• Sacul
  • faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • HOF
  • Crow
  • Kinger
  • jingle.boi
  • Glasser

I think Sacul is going by the EP's playlist order, which is alphabetical by username, so he hasn't gotten to yours yet  :)

EDIT: actually, I'm wrong, he should have by now, if he's done luke  :biggrin: Not sure, then...Litho's isn't listed either, sooo....who knows...

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3315 on: July 21, 2023, 06:31:53 PM »

• Sacul
  • faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • HOF
  • Crow
  • Kinger
  • jingle.boi
  • Glasser

I think Sacul is going by the EP's playlist order, which is alphabetical by username, so he hasn't gotten to yours yet  :)

EDIT: actually, I'm wrong, he should have by now, if he's done luke  :biggrin: Not sure, then...Litho's isn't listed either, sooo....who knows...
They were just that bad, apparently.  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3316 on: July 21, 2023, 08:24:51 PM »
lmao I forgot to add them, despite having an actual table with rankings myself :lol. Here they are:

• Sacul
  • faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • HOF
  • Crow
  • Kinger
  • jingle.boi
  • lonestar
  • litho
  • Glasser

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3317 on: July 22, 2023, 03:59:13 AM »
I’ll take 15th! It’s better than I had hoped. Also glad you loved the EP. Yes it featured two bands you weren’t too thrilled about but I am so happy you liked the Andrew WK album. His work, post I Get Wet, is pretty hit and miss to be honest, but the last album was honestly so damn good. It is like some synthy, sci fi, Meatloaf record or something! And I LOVE IT.
That sounds amazing, can't wait to hear it. :lol

Once we’re done I’ll share my story for my EP.
Feel free to share it whenever you want, no need to hold it back!

Yea dude, I hope you like the latest Andrew WK, someone else on here needs to!

I’ll hold fire with posting my EP story until the roulette is over I think.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: July 22, 2023, 06:52:39 AM »
I've been on the edge of my seat with these writeups, I also still have to catch up on the eps :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 5 (7-10)
« Reply #3319 on: July 22, 2023, 06:57:27 AM »
FINAL RESULTS, part 5

lonestar – Genres Across Japan
1. Little Lilith - ThanatoPhobia
2. Little Lilith - LadyBug
3. Li-sa-X Band - One More Chance is Enough
4. Little Lilith - Lullaby
5. Mary’s Blood - Unravel
6. Li-sa-X Band - Just Be My Treasure
7. Mary’s Blood - World’s End
8. Li-sa-X Band - Looking Up To You

First impression: No surprises here, but lots of great stuff with top notch playing and nice hooks. One or two of the artists could be among the best you've sent in the roulette.

Favourite: Li-sa-X Band - Looking Up To You
Least favourite: Mary’s Blood - Unravel

Final opinion: You’ve somehow managed to send equal or better stuff with every round in this roulette, which is an impressive feat. This EP is remarkably consistent. I have a clear ranking of favourites but really all three artists are varying degrees of excellent.

I’ll actually go in reverse order of favourites here and start with Mary’s Blood. To be clear, I like both songs a lot. Of the j-metal bands I’m familiar with, they remind me most of Lovebites, with the strong western power metal influence in the music. Unravel only ended up bottom of the pack because something had to be there, and the melodic hooks don’t capture me as much as the other songs, but there are lots of nice flourishes in the composition and production that make it a pretty great song still. World’s End is more straightforward power metal but it has a strong chorus and some great playing.

As you said in your PM, Little Lillith are j-jent. :lol As I’ve said plenty of times, I don’t get what all the tussle is over djent - it’s primarily a style of riff. Like any style of riff, it gets boring if that’s all the music is, and I do appreciate that when it rose in popularity there was a whole movement of artists who did that and nothing else. But a bunch of boring musicians obviously doesn’t confer any qualities on the style itself and what other artists do with it. Anyway, rant over. These songs are great! Really poppy and catchy stuff mixed in with the crunchy rhythmic riffs, which is a combination I tend to find really enjoyable and these girls do it well. LadyBug has some less interesting moments in the verses, but then the metalcore stuff brings a really enjoyable intensity.

And finally, the best artist you’ve sent all roulette, Li-sa-X. I’m aware of her from a guest solo she did on Andy Gillion’s Arcade Metal album, so I knew she was an incredible player, but the quality of the songwriting here is a wonderful surprise. I also love the singer, so it’s a shame that she left and the group disbanded after only a couple of singles. I read that the other two formed a new band with another singer, so hopefully that goes somewhere, everything about these songs is just really great - the riffs, the hooks, the performances. I guess I’ll have to just make do with a makeshift four-song EP.

Flow-wise, this is pretty much exactly like Reaper’s EP - a collection of tracks that fit very well together in genre, style and sound. They feel very much like a coherent, curated collection of songs, they just don’t really do anything more beyond that other than the emotive style of Looking Up To You working very nicely as a closer.

Music quality score: 8.4
Flow score: 4.0
EP total: 12.4

Roulette total = 7.8 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 + (8.4 + 4.0) = 61.3

Final position: 10th

I’ll be honest, I was a little sceptical when you set out to only send - broadly speaking - one type of artist for the whole roulette. I obviously loved some all-women Japanese bands already, but others I’d heard hadn’t hit the mark and I didn’t feel sighted on how many there might be that aligned with my tastes. The first couple of rounds didn’t fill me with confidence either, decent though they were. But expectations never materially affect my judgement, and damn if it didn’t pay off in the end. Sending better and better stuff with each round has seen you steadily climb the rankings and finally jump into the top half right at the finish. As you’ll see from the points graph, you were sat at the bottom of a cluster of people, most of whom you overtook, which is what allowed you to jump up 6 places. :lol Anyway, really looking forward to digging into all of this!

wolfking – Remember that Death is Not the End, but Only a Transition
1. At the Gates - Under a Serpent Sun
2. Armageddon - Equalizer
3. Obscura - Solaris
4. Orbit Culture - North Star of Nija
5. Septicflesh - A Desert Throne

First impression: This is all very much what I’d expect to get from you, and it’s a solid selection of fairly intense songs. Two of these bands I really feel like I should have heard before.

Favourite: Septicflesh - A Desert Throne
Least favourite: Obscura - Solaris

Final opinion: This was one of the least surprising EPs but it’s a solid one. All the songs are good, some are great, and the styles are consistent with only a few differences in production getting in the way of it flowing smoothly.

At the Gates are a band I feel I must surely have heard before. They’re an iconic part of that 90s Gothenburg melodeath movement but for some reason I’m not at all familiar with their stuff. The song is solid, but not among my favourites I’ve heard from that era. Then again, it wasn’t until the second half of the 90s that In Flames and Dark Tranquillity - the other essential bands from the movement - started producing music that hit the mark for me, so this still makes me want to explore more.

The Armageddon song is more of a modern take on melodic death metal, probably on a par overall with At the Gates. On the one hand, the heavy riffing is less interesting, but the clean vocals and soaring lead lines compensate effectively.

Obscura is another band I’m surprised I’ve never checked out, considering I’ve been sent no fewer than three off-shoot bands/solo projects in my roulettes. :lol This is pretty much along the lines I expected, and it’s pretty good - ferocious, fast and played with incredible skill. But it definitely falls into the same trap as most technical death metal which is insufficient focus on interesting melodic hooks for me.

The Orbit Culture song I heard (or at least the in-studio live video of it) in Caelan’s bonus round, and it’s really good. Their style is hard to pin down, in this song at least - on RYM they’re described as a mix of melodic death metal and groove metal, and I think that’s probably what it is. Reminds me a bit of Diablo in that regard. Anyway it’s a cool song.

And then saving the best for last, we move on to Septicflesh. Despite the rather unpleasant name, this is right up my alley when it comes to MDM. Heavy, grand, brooding and doomy. The strings really expand the sound and drive the melodic hooks. Epic stuff!

Flow-wise, there are differences in the specific style/sub-genre of each song, but enough commonality that it all works well together and nothing feels out of place. As I said, the only thing that stops this getting a 4/5 lonestar and Reaper’s EPs is that there are some big shifts in production style and volume that disrupt the listening experience a little.

Music quality score: 8.1
Flow score: 3.8
EP total: 11.9

Roulette total = 8.6 + 8.1 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 7.8 + (8.1 + 3.8) = 61.7

Final position: 9th

Shame you took a dip in the last two rounds because up to that point you were sending me so much top-notch stuff, more consistently great than in my previous roulettes and even giving you a shot at the title. You may not have finished on a high, but at least the EP had some cracking stuff in it too. I’ve actually in the past few weeks worked my way through most of Keep of Kalessin’s stuff and damn it’s just great. I’ll check out every other artist you sent me too, but the ones I’m most looking forward to are Brymir, Wolfheart, Blessed By A Broken Heart and Septicflesh. Great to have you on board once again! :metal

Buddy – Dark Matter / Star Light
1. Sungazer - Threshold
2. The Comet Is Coming - Blood Of The Past
3. Sungazer - The Dark
4. The Comet Is Coming - Angel Of Darkness
5. Harmonix Music Systems - Dalatecht
6. Sungazer - Cytherean

First impression: This felt varied, fusing together two or three distinct genres, but still really cohesive. The inclusion of vocals (and good ones at that) in styles that don’t always have them helps keep it pretty engaging.

Favourite: Sungazer - The Dark
Least favourite: The Comet Is Coming - Angel Of Darkness

Final opinion: Evidently you have a knack for making me really top-notch EPs. It’s a fantastic fusion of jazz and electronica, with some poppy infusions here and there as well to help give it some clear melodic hooks. Sungazer leans more electronic while The Comet is Coming is more jazz, but there is enough overlap of elements of their sounds to strike a great balance between varied and coherent.

Sungazer are for sure my favourite here, all three tracks are just great. Threshold is very jazztronica and it’s excellent, a really great sound and fusion of styles and it sets the tone for the rest of the EP masterfully. The Dark is, yeah, unsurprisingly my favourite of the lot - short and simple, but poppy, catchy, warm and immersive, and she has a great voice. And then Cytherean is the most jazzy of their tracks here, and really helps bring together the different styles covered on the EP. The more mellow vibes are very lush and work great as a closing track.

The Comet is Coming are an interesting band. Obviously I heard another song from them in the bonus round which was pretty cool. Of the three, Blood of the Past is a firm favourite and a really great track. The synths do suggest some electronic influences, but underneath it’s fairly straight up jazz fusion and it’s pretty great. Angel of Darkness doesn’t grab me in the same way. The sound is neat still, but the main motifs the saxophone plays gets kind of grating after a while.

Dalatecht seems to be from a video game soundtrack? I can’t work out if Harmonix Music Systems is even the name of the artist, but anyway it’s a lot of fun. Sort of over-the-top grand and epic at the start, and really enjoyable, and then developing into some poppy electronica in the second half with nice sounds and catchy vocal lines.

In terms of flow, this EP is excellent. Despite some differences in style (the most noticeable being the grandiose stuff at the start of Dalatecht), the tracks generally fit together really well, the ordering works great and the way you edited them into a single file provides very smooth transitions between tracks, making this a great listen.

Music quality score: 8.4
Flow score: 4.3
EP total: 12.7

Roulette total = 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.0 + 8.1 + (8.4 + 4.3) = 62.1

Final position: 7th (joint)

You may not have the highest score but you were the most consistent. Including the EP quality score, all your rounds were within a 0.4 point range, narrower than any other player, and never falling below 8 this time! You seem to do a better job than anyone else of hitting my tastes when it comes to electronic music, which I’m grateful for, but the other styles you covered were all successful too. As a result I'm keen to explore at least something from every artist you sent me.

Litho – The Luminescent Nocturnal Tango
1. James Newton Howard - Noah Visits
2. Deadlock - Dying Breed
3. Nightrage - Hero
4. Nightrage - The Howls of the Wolves
5. Sarah Jarosz - Run Away
6. Sybreed - Ego Bypass Generator
7. Deadlock - Bloodpact
8. James Newton Howard - The Vote

First impression: The songs all sound good to great, though some of the heavier ones seemed so similar to other bands it was a little distracting. I’m not yet sure how well it all fits together, as there are some big shifts in mood and style.

Favourite: Sarah Jarosz - Run Away
Least favourite: Sybreed - Ego Bypass Generator

Final opinion: There’s a lot of great music on this EP, both from the melodeath side and from the lighter side. All three metal bands remind me to varying degrees of something else, but that’s not generally a problem. It flows fairly well but while I totally get what you were doing with it, I think I like the idea more than the execution.

The two pieces by James Newton Howard from the film score of The Village that bookend this EP are really nice. Noah works well as a short opener, implying a dramatic element in what is to come. As a closer for what is predominantly a metal EP, The Vote perhaps goes on a little long. I don’t really listen to soundtracks for things I don’t know quite well already (I saw The Village when it came out but recall nothing about the music) and so it’s missing that connection to any narrative. But as a piece of music it’s pretty lovely.

Deadlock are probably my favourite of the metal bands here, and it was a good call to include two full songs from them. Because of Christian Älvestam’s immediately recognisable vocals in Dying Breed, there’s an obvious comparison to Scar Symmetry. But that’s only because it’s actually the same guy, so definitely not an issue, and his sections are great anyway. In general, the music is rich and melodic and both the growls and the female singer are top notch.

Nightrage are also strong. Hero definitely sounds a lot like early In Flames, which is a little distracting because the sound is so iconic, and then there’s a guest appearance from Tom Englund and suddenly it sounds (slightly) like Evergrey. :lol But despite the lack of originality, it’s still a very solid song, and the acoustic interlude that follows is nice too.

We then step away from the melodeath into some bluesy acoustic folk in the form of Sarah Jarosz. I’m not convinced it quite works in terms of flow, but it’s definitely been good for your quality score as it’s my favourite song here. I can absolutely see the comparison to Monica Heldal - different voice, but big similarities in the composition, melodies and general vibe, and it’s really lovely for all the same reasons.

And finally to our last metal band, Sybreed. There’s actually plenty I like here. The comparison that jumped out to me from the start was Soilwork, especially in the verses and some of the guitar work. The thing that holds it back as the weakest of a generally strong bunch is the chorus. Compared with Soilwork’s big hooks and soaring choruses, the melodies here are pretty uninteresting. But it’s still a decent song overall.

I wasn’t sure about the flow at first, but I’ve mostly come around on it. I like your approach to the ‘light to dark, dark to light’ theme, actually following the lyrics so that you have two darks and two lights in a row, and so on. And most of the transitions work ok in themselves. But I think the differences in instrumentation and style are a little too big to quite work for me - the Sarah Jarosz song is gorgeous but is pretty minimalist and bluesy and doesn’t really fit great in amongst the melodeath. Similarly, the bookends work ok but the closer does go on fairly long. Not huge issues and definitely still a good listen, but they do knock the flow score down a notch or two.

Music quality score: 8.3
Flow score: 3.8
EP total: 12.1

Roulette total = 8.3 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 8.4 + 8.8 + 8.3 + (8.3 + 3.8) = 62.1

Final position: 7th (joint)

With the exception of a relative misstep in round 2, you just sent me hit after hit in this roulette. Even including round 2, you still got an average score on a par with the very best first-timers in my roulettes. I really appreciate the time and thought you put into trying to decipher and meet my musical interests (you probably have as much handle on it as I do at this point :lol). I’m most excited about Haerts, but really I’m looking forward to digging into pretty much everything It’s been fantastic having you on board, and in general getting to know each other musically over the course of our respective roulettes.

Click the graphs to enlarge.

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3320 on: July 22, 2023, 07:20:56 AM »
Yeah, it's a shame that Lisa X didn't continue in that form, Rina is such a good singer. She hasn't signed onto anything new either, I follow her socials and she just post little vids of herself singing. Their new act, Koiai with Kotono on vox is much more poppy so far, they're recording now I do believe so we'll see how it pans out, she is a tremendous singer as well, most recently appearing with Ironbunny (who you almost got in this roulette lol). Mary's  Blood has a massive discography spanning 10 years, lots of good power metal there, and lots of Saki just fucking shredding. Little Lillith is fairly new, just two full albums, one that just dropped and is pretty solid.

Funny side story, I got a bud who's on a metal vacation in Japan right now. and aside from the bands that are defunct and the Korean band, he literally saw every band I sent you (Saiseiga, Band Maid, Hanabie, AG, TRiDENT, and Little Lillith) on top of Nemophila, Lovebites, and Gacharic Spin. I really hate him but at least he is hooking me up with a few shirts and a GS signed program(be jealous.....). It was like I'd send you a band, then he'd post seeing them live and I'm just all 'motherfucker....'

Anyhoo, I was glad I took up this challenge, it gave me time to dig deeper into some bands that I really hadn't, and to further appreciate them. Pretty proud of my finish, even though not only did I only send Japanese artist with one Korean band, but any session musicians aside (not sure of AG's band or who does bass/drums for Lisa), there are only two males in all the bands I sent. I'm always a big fan of promoting female musicians whenever I can, and I think the talent pool of the Japanese is way, way too fucking deep to be denied.

Glad you enjoyed the lot of what I sent, and thanks for taking on this enormous task with such vigor. You shame all other roulette runners with your commitment man.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 07:27:48 AM by lonestar »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3321 on: July 22, 2023, 07:24:34 AM »
In looking at the graph, I realize that I coulda been a contender if not for the score for Rik Emmett!

thanks for taking on this enormous task with such vigor. You shame all other roulette runners with your commitment man.

+1
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3322 on: July 22, 2023, 07:53:27 AM »
Hopefully I'm not in the next batch :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3323 on: July 22, 2023, 08:32:28 AM »
Hah, this came out a bit longer than I expected, but you know, it's me...

I did some math last night, and I had a suspicion I might fall down into this group.  But at least it's at the top of it.  If I had gotten slightly closer to the top towards the end or had maintained a higher position earlier on I might have tried to do something different with the EP, but I had grown too attached to it by then.  It was essentially created from a number of artists popping out in my tentative list that I wanted you to hear or seemed like they might work with the limited amount I can decipher of your taste - Jarosz obviously from you sending Heldal in my roulette (and with Puppies trying to send that exact same song in mine he should probably listen to it as well, the vibe hopefully can't just be a coincidence).  And also, melodeath-ish albums will sometimes have a song a bit like that, In Flames' "Everlost (Part II)", Opeth's "Coil", the first couple minutes of Dark Tranquillity's "Insanity's Crescendo", etc. 

So it was a matter of how can I fit together the wild differences of some film score cinematic classical, a variety of 00s-era melodeath, and a mellow folky tune, and I had the epiphany of tying it into the overall roulette theme.  So I'm pretty happy with how I managed to sequence it as best as I could, though I knew the flow was risky and could have potentially scored even lower.  It's probably the reverse way to come up with flow, so that part is better than I feared. 

I wanted to have "The Vote" partly because it's my favorite piece on the score, and partially because I didn't want it to feel like just a tacked-on intro/outro - I wanted James' composition and Hilary's playing to be just as much a part of the submission as everything else.  I like when melodeath bands can incorporate acoustics, violins and such into their music, and also electronics, which are quite different worlds, so I tried to merge them as best as I could. 

It's also interesting that you considered the Nightrage -> Jarosz flow as the worst, since I thought the former going acoustic transitioned them reasonably well, and the folk -> electronics shift to Sybreed would be more jarring (plus the impression hinting that they were contrasting as best/worst cuts) in spite of the fade-out/fade-in of each track and them being in the same key smoothing it out a bit. 

It's fascinating that you didn't like the chorus of "Ego Bypass Generator" - their hooky choruses are often considered one of the highlights of their music.  I guess that one just fell flat.  Maybe they won't hit for you like Insomnium so far hasn't totally connected for me, but if you have time at some point, definitely give that album a spin, or I can point out some of their other standout tracks. 

I'm annoyed that I've missed out on the first seven of these, but glad to finally be part of one, it's been a delight.  Once the roulette is over I have a couple other things I'll send, an alternate for round 5 I axed after the Keaggy disaster, and an alternate for round 6 that I'll mention more about when I send it. 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 08:40:43 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3324 on: July 22, 2023, 09:26:54 AM »
Suck it Litho, I told you Cytherean was great. :neverusethis:

Thanks for having me! It says a lot about how well I did in one of your earlier roulettes that all 8s still feels like underperforming a bit. :lol But I'm very much looking forward to hearing your thoughts on each of the bands you check out!

Dalatecht is from the soundtrack to Amplitude, which you can't really download or stream anywhere legitimately. But someone posted a download link on Reddit with the whole thing (a disgruntled former employee, I hypothesize :lol) and I managed to grab it. I think you'd like it a lot, yeah it's a soundtrack but it's basically structured like a concept album. Hit me up if you want me to send it to you.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1