Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91552 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 1 (21-24)
« Reply #3255 on: July 20, 2023, 08:56:25 AM »
 :corn

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3256 on: July 20, 2023, 11:31:28 AM »
Do we have a single place with all the EPs? I'd love to dive into them but can't be arsed to go through all of these messages and scrap links :P

I got you boo

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1YBgQQDw6cG486lpjsNQvx?si=rzjTkm8nQkKjjliCoCTvVA
Thanks! And glad you liked my EP, hope ariich appreciates it as much.

Now, let's begin listening to... almost 12 hours of music?  :| :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3257 on: July 20, 2023, 12:26:50 PM »
Do we have a single place with all the EPs? I'd love to dive into them but can't be arsed to go through all of these messages and scrap links :P

I got you boo

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1YBgQQDw6cG486lpjsNQvx?si=rzjTkm8nQkKjjliCoCTvVA

With my EP just stop after the first three tracks I think.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 2 (18-20)
« Reply #3258 on: July 20, 2023, 12:49:55 PM »
FINAL RESULTS, part 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
HOF – Disappointing, Said The Horse as He Floated From His Distant Body
1. McStine & Minnemann - The Horse Is Dead
2. Field Music - Measure
3. McStine & Minnemann - The Flame
4. Field Music - Disappointed
5. McStine & Minnemann - Your Offenses
6. Field Music - Let’s Write a Book
7. McStine & Minnemann - Tear the Walls Down (No Memories)
8. Field Music - Lights Up
9. McStine & Minnemann - Distant Bodies
10. Field Music - (I Keep Thinking About) A New Thing

First impression: Pretty straightforward approach you took to this EP but I think it works effectively for what you wanted to do. Not sure I love every song, but there's lots of talent and creativity.

Favourite: Field Music - Disappointed
Least favourite: McStine & Minnemann - The Flame

Final opinion: This ended up being a solid EP for both quality and flow, but not that exciting for either. Interestingly enough, while my first reaction was that the “dark to light” theme felt pretty clear, on subsequent listens I didn’t really feel it that way. McStine & Minnemann are more rocking than Field Music sure, but not very dark or even heavy, and there’s quite a lot of overlap which in the end helped the EP feel reasonably coherent.

Even though they don’t come first, I’ll start with Field Music as they were the one that I liked from the start. Definitely an interesting and pretty unique band with a lot of creativity and interest in exploring different sounds. While a couple of the songs didn’t end up having a huge amount of staying power, even those are interesting and I really dig the variety in their music despite there being a coherence to their sound. And my favourites of theirs - the ones that both create a distinctive mood and have some great hooks, Disappointed and Lights Up - are the best on the EP. Definitely interested in checking these guys out.

McStine & Minnemann are a bit more of a mixed bag, but also have some great stuff. I wasn’t very impressed at first, but that may be a reflection of the EP’s structure and not necessarily picking out the variety in their music right away. The good stuff is very good. While it sounds a bit like a Steven Wilson rip-off, The Horse is Dead is my favourite because - like Wilson and his various bands - it pretty much nails that gloomy prog vibe. Your Offenses is also strong. Indeed, unlike Field Music, I’m preferring M&M when they play it safer. The other songs are all fine and I enjoy them well enough, but they don’t really entice me back.

The flow on this is odd. Overall it’s good. Like I said, the structure works fine and the areas of overlap between the two bands mean they’re not too jarring alongside each other. If anything, the thing that does very slightly jar is the differences between the M&M songs. I enjoy variety and even love the Field music songs partly for that reason, but in this case the songs just feel quite disconnected from each other without any theme, idea or style to hold them together.

Music quality score: 8.0
Flow score: 3.9
EP total: 11.9

Roulette total = 7.5 + 7.9 + 8.7 + 7.7 + 7.5 + 8.4 + (8.0 + 3.9) = 59.6

Final position: 20th

It’s been great having you back in this roulette. Your average score (taking only the quality score from the EP) ended up the same as last time, bang on 8.0. :lol But, if anything, the journey to get there was even more up and down, with more lower scoring entries and fewer in the middle, but also the two best things you’ve sent me in the form of Dim Gray and Sweet Billy Pilgrim who I can’t wait to dig into. Even though we’re not necessarily that well aligned in the sorts of melodic hooks that interest us, I appreciate you trying different things out and hitting a couple of successes in the process.

Reaper – No True Masterpiece Will Ever Be Complete - An EP
1. Michael Kelsey - Blue Gravity
2. Michael Kelsey - Lost On Purpose
3. Spencer Elliott - The Tournament
4. Kaki King - Bowen Island
5. Michael Kelsey - Sleepwalker
6. Kaki King - Joi
7. Kaki King - No True Masterpiece Will Ever Be Complete
8. Acoustic Labs - Desert Walk
9. Michael Kelsey - The Free Spirit

First impression: I don’t think I’ll ever fall in love with guitar noodling, but this might be among the nicest I’ve heard. The style might have got a little samey, but there’s enough nuance between the different artists to keep it interesting.

Favourite: Spencer Elliott - The Tournament
Least favourite: Kaki King - Joi

Final opinion: I feel like I and others have been pretty clear in this roulette about the fact that acoustic guitar (and to be honest even electric guitar) noodling is not something that tends to excite me, and is therefore something I’m pretty picky about. So an entire EP of it was a pretty bold choice. That said, some of this is really nice and I want to explore further.

My favourite is easily the one Spencer Elliot song you sent. I don’t know if this is perhaps not very representative and that’s why you only included one track from him, but it has so much elegance and class and creates a wonderful vibe. The music itself is incredibly attractive and energetic, and his playing is versatile and engaging - hammering out the big main riff but then smoothly segueing into delicate runs. Lovely stuff.

The Michael Kelsey tracks are nice, probably on a par with the Phil Keaggy that Litho sent me in round 2 with some great moments (Sleepwalker in particular is really gorgeous) but other material that’s pleasant but doesn’t really grab me. Meanwhile, the Acoustic Labs track is attractive enough if a bit minimalist for my tastes.

Kaki King is the artist here that I’m least convinced by, and that hasn’t really changed with further listens to the EP. It’s kind of frustrating because there’s a wonderful atmosphere to the sound production in some tracks - Bowen Island especially creates a lush equatorial island sort of vibe. But I’m just not really finding anything in the music itself that appeals to me much.

Flow-wise, this is a solid 4 out of 5, nothing more and nothing less. It’s essentially a collection of tracks that fit very well together in genre, style and sound. I don’t really get any sense of journey or narrative over the runtime of the EP. I don’t mean a story narrative, but the EPs where I score flow higher than 4.0 (including in previous roulettes) are those that have either an emotional arc of some kind or otherwise develop in terms of style and sound such that as a listener I’m taken on a bit of a journey. This doesn’t do that, but as a collection of coherent tracks, I can’t fault it.

Music quality score: 7.9
Flow score: 4.0
EP total: 11.9

Roulette total = 7.6 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.2 + (7.9 + 4.0) = 59.7

Final position: 19th

Well I can’t fault you for being consistent! Your average score was almost exactly 8.0 (and accordingly your EP flow score was exactly 4.0/5) and you never strayed far from it in any round, ending up with one of the narrower score ranges in the roulette. Ranking on the lower end is simply a reflection of how competitive my roulettes are and those couple of early rounds that didn’t really hit the mark. But regardless, you sent me a lot of music that I liked and want to dig into, including angles not covered much by any of the many other players, which is ultimately what these things are all about.

Vmadera – The Still of the Night
1. Bang Camaro - Night Lies
2. Blacktop Mojo - It Won't Last
3. Silversun Pickups - Stillness (Way Beyond)
4. Silversun Pickups - Sticks and Stones
5. The Stone Roses - Tears

First impression: For all the varied music I’ve been sent in this roulette, this selection still feels kind of unique and enjoyable. Not as cheesy as I might have expected - indeed it’s generally tasteful and interesting.

Favourite: Blacktop Mojo - It Won't Last
Least favourite: The Stone Roses - Tears

Final opinion: I feel like you greatly overstated how cheesy this EP is. I mean, sure the narrative you built around it is pretty cliche, but that’s a little different. I was expecting something corny and/or sappy, but what I got was an interesting set of songs covering different styles but fitting together well.

The EP starts and ends with the songs that are the most - for want of a better word - normal, so I’ll start there. The Bang Camaro is very solid catchy, poppy hard rock. Nothing that really pushes the boat out, but it has fun riffing, nice guitar works and some pretty great hooks. Definitely a strong start to the EP. Stone Roses, on the other hand, are a band that have never really interested me and are easily the weakest here. The song is quite enjoyable once it gets going - the backing music is actually really nice, particularly in how up front the acoustic guitars are and I did the tasteful guitar solo. But the vocals are so whiny and out of tune as to weaken the overall effect.

The middle of this EP is where it really shines. The Blacktop Mojo song is the easy favourite, just a great, bluesy noir vibe, lovely melancholy melodies, slick delivery and a really nice, full sound. The downside of only having one song from them is that I’ve no idea how representative this is (which is why I structure my roulettes the way I do), but this song at least is fantastic.

Silversun Pickups are one of those names I’ve seen many times over many years but never knowingly listened to and didn’t even really know what to expect. These two songs are great. Stillness is slow and moody, really builds up an atmosphere and then the way it develops into the next song is really engaging. Sticks and Stones then maintains that vibe but in a more rhythmic, percussive way. The songs are great both individually and in the way they work together.

And I would say that’s the case for how this EP flows as a whole. The variety of styles on display could have felt like a slightly random assortment, and the Stone Roses does still stick out a bit as having quite a different - more dated - sound. But the sequencing flows smoothly and, cliche though it may be, the narrative gives it a very nice emotional arc.

Music quality score: 8.3
Flow score: 4.1
EP total: 12.4

Roulette total = 8.0 + 8.0 + 7.3 + 8.3 + 7.9 + 8.2 + (8.3 + 4.1) = 60.1

Final position: 18th

Not a bad showing at all for your first time in one of my roulettes. The first half was weaker in terms of scores as you found your feet, and round 3 in particular was a misstep that ended up keeping you in the bottom half. But from that point onwards pretty much everything else you sent me hit my tastes much better and you clawed back a respectable ranking in the end, especially in such a strong and competitive roulette. I’m particularly looking forward to digging into Fit For an Autopsy, Blacktop Mojo, Silversun Pickups and Volbeat’s more recent material!

Click the graphs to enlarge.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3259 on: July 20, 2023, 12:51:32 PM »
I'm surprised I wasn't in this group.  Maybe the flow of my EP bumped it up?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3260 on: July 20, 2023, 12:58:44 PM »

I got you boo

I don't know when an EP begins and ends on that massive playlist tbh, guess I'll just have to pay much attention :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3261 on: July 20, 2023, 01:01:01 PM »

I got you boo

I don't know when an EP begins and ends on that massive playlist tbh, guess I'll just have to pay much attention :lol
The playlist is in order:

Alright, here is the completed hangman. Pretty solid effort! Top and bottom tracks should definitely be later today.

Buddy: Dark Matter / Star Light
    1: Sungazer – Threshold
    2: The Comet Is Coming – Blood Of The Past
    3: Sungazer – The Dark
    4: The Comet Is Coming – Angel Of Darkness
    5: Harmonix Music Systems – Dalatecht
    6: Sungazer – Cytherean

Crow: Sonoran Sunset Skies
    1: My Morning Jacket – One Big Holiday
    2: Zach Bryan – Dawns
    3: Orville Peck – Kalahari Down
    4: Trophy Scars – Everything Disappearing
    5: Car Seat Headrest – Twin Fantasy (Those Boys)

Evermind: Arrogance
    1: Kalandra – Borders
    2: Arstiðir – Shine
    3: Kalandra – Brave New World
    4: Scorpions – We Will Rise Again
    5: The Gathering – Monsters
    6: Currents – Monsters
    7: So Hideous – Relinquish (Orchestral) [outro]

faizoff: The Last of Me
    1: Deadmau5 – Avaritia
    2: Deadmau5 – Strobe (Radio Edit)
    3: Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross – Immigrant Song
    4: Kendrik Lamar & SZA – All The Stars
    5: A Perfect Circle – So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish
    6: Soulfly – Flyhigh

Glasser: Fuck The Flow: The Lonely Tampon
    1: Black Flag – Slip It In
    2: S.O.D. – Premenstrual Princess Blues
    3: Warrant – I Saw Red
    4: Coven – Iron Dick
    5: Dolly Parton – PMS Blues (live)

HOF: Disappointing, Said The Horse as He Floated From His Distant Body
    1: McStine & Minnemann – The Horse Is Dead
    2: Field Music – Measure
    3: McStine & Minnemann – The Flame
    4: Field Music – Disappointed
    5: McStine & Minnemann – Your Offenses
    6: Field Music – Let’s Write a Book
    7: McStine & Minnemann – Tear the Walls Down (No Memories)
    8: Field Music – Lights Up
    9: McStine & Minnemann – Distant Bodies
    10: Field Music – (I Keep Thinking About) A New Thing

jingle: Power|Ballads
    1: Poison – Strike Up The Band
    2: Poison – Theatre of the Soul
    3: Magnus Karlsson’s Free Fall – Not My Saviour
    4: Magnus Karlsson’s Free Fall – Stronger
    5: Hardline – Rhythm From a Red Car
    6: Hardline – 31-91
    7: Hardline – In the Hands of Time

King: Breaking Through the Relationship Pain
    1: Jonas Lindberg & The Other Side – Little Man
    2: Xerosync – Now I See You
    3: Magic Pie – Trick of the Trade
    4: Barock Project – Ashes
    5: Downes Braide Association – Your Heart Will Find The Way

Litho: The Luminescent Nocturnal Tango
    1: James Newton Howard – Noah Visits
    2: Deadlock – Dying Breed
    3: Nightrage – Hero
    4: Nightrage – The Howls of the Wolves
    5: Sarah Jarosz – Run Away
    6: Sybreed – Ego Bypass Generator
    7: Deadlock – Bloodpact
    8: James Newton Howard – The Vote

lonestar: Genres Across Japan
    1: Little Lilith – ThanatoPhobia
    2: Little Lilith – LadyBug
    3: Li-sa-X Band – One More Chance is Enough
    4: Little Lilith – Lullaby
    5: Mary’s Blood – Unravel
    6: Li-sa-X Band – Just Be My Treasure
    7: Mary’s Blood – World’s End
    8: Li-sa-X Band – Looking Up To You

luke: god damn pizza death are great
    1: Pizza Death – Pizza Death
    2: Sound Ideas – Arpeggiated Series of Diminished 7th Chords on a Harp [interlude]
    3: Mother’s Cake – Cybernova
    4: Mother’s Cake – Hit on Your Girl
    5: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Magenta Mountain
    6: Andrew W.K. – Babalon
    7: Andrew W.K. – Everybody Sins
    8: King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard – Ambergris
    9: Sound Ideas – Harp Glissando Accent [interlude]
    10: Pizza Death – Rise of the Anchovy

Luoto: Pohjola: Maiden of the North
    1: Swallow the Sun – These Low Lands
    2: Viikate – Suruvaippa
    3: Vermilia – Maisema
    4: Kamara – Pohjola (Osa 1): Veritaivas
    5: Kamara – Pohjola (Osa 2): Ajattomuuden kaiku

nick_z: A Journey of Muses
    1: Royal Thunder – Time Machine
    2: Madder Mortem – Rust Cleansing
    3: Secret Shame – Saccharine Dream
    4: Bat For Lashes – Moon And Moon
    5: Bat For Lashes – Daniel
    6: The Gathering – Saturnine

Puppies: Hidden
    1: VYGR – Orbital Hallucinations [intro]
    2: Archivist – Tying Up Loose Ends in the Cold Void of Space
    3: Woods of Desolation – And If All the Stars Faded Away
    4: Fen – The Dying Stars
    5: Esoteric – Beneath This Face

Reaper: No True Masterpiece Will Ever Be Complete - An EP
    1: Michael Kelsey – Blue Gravity
    2: Michael Kelsey – Lost On Purpose
    3: Spencer Elliott – The Tournament
    4: Kaki King – Bowen Island
    5: Michael Kelsey – Sleepwalker
    6: Kaki King – Joi
    7: Kaki King – No True Masterpiece Will Ever Be Complete
    8: Acoustic Labs – Desert Walk
    9: Michael Kelsey – The Free Spirit

rodrums: A Simon Phillips Sampler
    1: Simon Phillips – V8
    2: Derek Sherinian – Dragonfly
    3: Derek Sherinian – Seven Seas
    4: Simon Phillips – Undeviginti
    5: Derek Sherinian – Scorpion
    6: Simon Phillips – Circle Seven

Sacul: from weed to bliss
    1: Sleep – Dragonaut
    2: Kyuss – Odyssey
    3: Kyuss – Green Machine
    4: Boris – Woman On The Screen
    5: Boris – Ibitsu
    6: Boris – Melody
    7: Boris – Farewell

seneca: On Your Rocks
    1: Leonard Cohen – Suzanne
    2: Tim Buckley – Song to the Siren
    3: Josh Ritter – Miles Away
    4: Ryan Adams – Oh My Sweet Carolina
    5: Patterson Hood – Come Back Little Star
    6: Leonard Cohen – Steer Your Way
    7: Josh Ritter – All Some Kind of Dream

soupy: Cheese Ahoy!
    1: Terra Atlantica – Guns and Drums
    2: Visions of Atlantis – Legion of the Seas
    3: Terra Atlantica – Mermaids Isle
    4: Alestorm – Zombies Ate my Pirate Ship
    5: Pearl Jam – Among the Waves
    6: Alestorm – Shit Boat
    7: Katzenjammer – To The Sea
    8: Terra Atlantica – The Great Escape
    9: Visions of Atlantis – Return to Lemuria

Stadler: The Arc of the Curve
    1: Scorpions – Loving You Sunday Morning
    2: Scorpions – Falling In Love
    3: Scorpions – We’ll Burn the Sky
    4: Fish – View From the Hill
    5: Fish – Sunsets on Empire

TAC: Drown
    1: Moonloop – Oceans
    2: Horizon Ignited – Eventide Of Abysmal Grief
    3: Existem – The Drowning
    4: Moonshade – A Dreamless Slumber

Vmadera: The Still of the Night
    1: Band Camaro – Night Lies
    2: Blacktop Mojo – It Won't Last
    3: Silversun Pickups – Stillness (Way Beyond)
    4: Silversun Pickups – Sticks and Stones
    5: The Stone Roses – Tears

wolfking: Remember that Death is Not the End, but Only a Transition
    1: At the Gates – Under a Serpent Sun
    2: Armageddon – Equalizer
    3: Obscura – Solaris
    4: Orbit Culture – North Star of Nija
    5: Septicflesh – A Desert Throne

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3262 on: July 20, 2023, 01:02:01 PM »
How am I not out yet?  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3263 on: July 20, 2023, 01:03:01 PM »

Cuz you're awesome?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3264 on: July 20, 2023, 01:14:49 PM »
Unless my EP scored very, very high, I should be in the next batch.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3265 on: July 20, 2023, 01:31:25 PM »
I'm enjoying all this speculation. :corn

I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3266 on: July 20, 2023, 01:34:07 PM »
Thanks rich! Ok just finished listening to Buddy's EP, and am midway through Crow's, so I'd rank them as:

1. Buddy
2. Crow

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3267 on: July 20, 2023, 01:46:09 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3268 on: July 20, 2023, 01:49:08 PM »

Cuz you're awesome?

Rich be handing out trillions again.

Unless my EP scored very, very high, I should be in the next batch.

You and me both.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 01:57:40 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online HOF

« Reply #3269 on: July 20, 2023, 01:56:52 PM »
20th in Ariich’s roulette, but 4th in Ariich’s kid’s roulette, so ultimately it all evens out.

I’m glad you liked a few things I sent, and I think you’ll enjoy digging into both Dim Grey (though they only have one other album) and especially Sweet Billy Pilgrim.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3270 on: July 20, 2023, 01:58:02 PM »
Vmadera – The Still of the Night
1. Bang Camaro - Night Lies
2. Blacktop Mojo - It Won't Last
3. Silversun Pickups - Stillness (Way Beyond)
4. Silversun Pickups - Sticks and Stones
5. The Stone Roses - Tears

And I would say that’s the case for how this EP flows as a whole. The variety of styles on display could have felt like a slightly random assortment, and the Stone Roses does still stick out a bit as having quite a different - more dated - sound. But the sequencing flows smoothly and, cliche though it may be, the narrative gives it a very nice emotional arc.

Thanks for having me  :metal I changed the EP 3 times before landing on this set of songs  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3271 on: July 20, 2023, 02:01:40 PM »
Lovin' it! Ariich, nice job, thanks for listening to my music.  This was fun!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3272 on: July 20, 2023, 02:06:05 PM »
thanks for listening to my music. 

He heard what it can do.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 02:16:41 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3273 on: July 20, 2023, 02:28:06 PM »
thanks for listening to my music. 

He heard what it can do.

It was quite the gift.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3274 on: July 20, 2023, 06:34:00 PM »
Some cool stuff here, let's see, so far I'd say...

• faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • Crow

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3275 on: July 20, 2023, 11:00:44 PM »
Well, at least I know I didn't completely tank my EP submission  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3276 on: July 21, 2023, 05:44:54 AM »

So you incompletely tanked it?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3277 on: July 21, 2023, 06:47:29 AM »
It was fun playing ariich! taking part in roulettes is a lot of fun. I don't know people's taste's here as well as some of the others, seems like some of you have been playing forever and know the tastes down to the T.

What I've generally found in my roulettes is that the people in the top half send consistently good stuff. But it's the people in the bottom half that somehow manage to send the most memorable tracks completely out of the blue. lol

I know!  Right?    I've had the same two people send me arguably the worst two, but also arguably the best two songs of my whole roulette.

You’re welcome

Definitely some of the most memorable, but not nearly the widest spread of quality. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3278 on: July 21, 2023, 07:10:27 AM »
Some cool stuff here, let's see, so far I'd say...

• faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • Crow

You spelled "Stadler" wrong.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3279 on: July 21, 2023, 07:25:55 AM »
I'm going in order and your EP is near the end :P

But I'd probably just rank it as position 1,000,008 ;D

I'm on Glasser's rn, and boi oh boi, it's quite the experience :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3280 on: July 21, 2023, 07:35:46 AM »

So you incompletely tanked it?
This is a possibility. The jury is still out, though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3281 on: July 21, 2023, 08:15:58 AM »
  • Sacul
  • faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • HOF
  • Crow
  • Kinger
  • jingle.boi
  • Glasser
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 08:33:32 AM by Sacul »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Final results, part 3 (14-17)
« Reply #3282 on: July 21, 2023, 08:31:05 AM »
FINAL RESULTS, part 3

King – Breaking Through the Relationship Pain
1. Jonas Lindberg & The Other Side - Little Man
2. Xerosync - Now I See You
3. Magic Pie - Trick of the Trade
4. Barock Project - Ashes
5. Downes Braide Association - Your Heart Will Find The Way

First impression: There's a pleasingly hopeful tone to a lot of this. Seems like a nice mix of upbeat prog - nothing too challenging but all enjoyable.

Favourite: Magic Pie - Trick of the Trade
Least favourite: Xerosync - Now I See You

Final opinion: Some EPs were hard to choose either a favourite or a least favourite for. This one stands out as the hardest to pick both for because the quality is just so consistent. While the styles covered are not quite the same, you really tapped into my love of Moon Safari - prog that’s upbeat and pretty but has a sincere and emotive undercurrent to it.

Jonas Lindberg starts things off very strongly and a great encapsulation of the qualities that run through this whole EP. It’s very warm and heartfelt in composition and delivery, and quite lovely to listen to. Great introduction.

Xerosync is bottom of the pack but there is nothing whatsoever wrong with it. It’s a solid bit of prog, with a nice chorus and a pretty engaging (if short) quieter bridge section. But something has to come bottom, and this is the only one that doesn’t really extend beyond “solid” in a way that particularly excites me.

Magic Pie and Barock Project were the hardest ones to choose between for my favourite. They both fit well with the vibe of the EP, but instil a more dramatic flair which works really well both in itself and as part of the emotional arc of the EP. Trick of the Trade won out in the end because the chorus really is just so great. But Ashes also has a gorgeous moody vibe at times that is right up my alley, as well as some fun instrumental work.

And finally, I wasn’t sure what to expect of Downes Braide Association as, apart from one Asia album, I’ve never got particularly into Geoff Downes’ other work. But this is a great song. The AOR vibe is entirely what I would have expected, but it has such a nice gentle groove to it, and there’s a lovely balance of melancholy with again that hopeful tone that hits a nice sweet spot.

As well as being full of good music, this EP also flows great which is not easy when each song is from a different artist. But despite some differences in style, the commonalities that link them together are dominant and make it feel coherent, and the emotional arc in both the music and lyrics works very well. A really great EP to listen through.

Music quality score: 8.4
Flow score: 4.4
EP total: 12.8

Roulette total = 7.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.8 + 7.7 + 8.4 + (8.4 + 4.4) = 60.4

Final position: 16th (joint)

You came bottom of my last roulette and didn’t have a great start to this one, but you quickly got back on track and ended up finishing on a real high. Those A.C.T. albums and basically all the artists from your EP I’m excited to dig into, you really did nail those last two rounds. But also the Avett Brothers and Our Lady Peace I’m looking forward to as well. Thanks for always being in these roulettes, sending me good music and being a lot of fun to have on board!

Sacul – from weed to bliss
1. Sleep - Dragonaut
2. Kyuss - Odyssey
3. Kyuss - Green Machine
4. Boris - Woman On The Screen
5. Boris - Ibitsu
6. Boris - Melody
7. Boris - Farewell

First impression: This is all pretty cool but I feel like, to get the most out of it, you need to be in a particular mood I’m unlikely to be in. There’s a nice groove throughout though, and it all feels very coherent.

Favourite: Sleep - Dragonaut
Least favourite: Boris - Farewell

Final opinion: As you know, I’m very open to different genres and sounds, but some styles naturally speak to me more than others. Neither stoner rock nor noise rock have a sound that particularly appeals to me, but I can definitely dig them with the right balance of groove and good hooks. This EP starts solid, but kind of gradually deteriorates over the course of its runtime. :lol

Sleep is the artist here that I’m most keen to check out more of. There’s not much in the way of interesting vocal melodies maybe, but the song is carried by the general groove and the main riff which is extremely cool. There’s also a great moment in the latter part of the song where the bass takes over, which I dig.

Kyuss also interest me. I wouldn’t say I love these two songs, and I’m not wholly sold on the thrash-influenced riffs, but I can see the appeal. I like the way they maintain the groove from the first song but instil a bit more energy and dynamism.

Boris is where this EP loses me a bit, though. There are good moments, for sure. The opening riff of Woman On The Screen kicks off with a ton of energy, Ibitsu has an enjoyable punky vibe, Melody is a pretty solid song all round, and even Farewell has some nice atmospheric moments. But, with the exception of Melody, these songs all sound quite messy to me, and with vocals that I find either uninteresting in terms of melodies or, in the case of Farewell, frustratingly out of tune. Unless you’re someone who is generally really into this style then I feel like you would need to be pretty stoned to get into this, and as someone who doesn’t do drugs myself, I’m unlikely to be in the right frame of mind.

On the whole, these songs fit quite well together and there’s a coherence of vibe, but I’ve not ended up enjoying the flow as I would have liked. I think partly it's a feature of the music moving further and further away from my tastes as it goes, but also there are big shifts in volume and sonic style (especially from Kyuss to Boris) that a little jarring.

Music quality score: 7.6
Flow score: 3.8
EP total: 11.4

Roulette total = 8.3 + 8.9 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 7.9 + 8.1 + (7.6 + 3.8) = 60.4

Final position: 16th (joint)

Certainly not a bad place to rank in general terms, but probably not what you were hoping for when you were joint 1st in round 2! You really nailed those first two rounds and I’m excited to dig into both Sohn (who was one of the very best submissions of the entire roulette, and fits well with other music I listen to already) and Kendrick Lamar (which will materially expand the amount of hip hop I have in my collection). The rest didn’t hit the mark in the same way, but it was all good still and The Microphones especially I’m looking forward to exploring as well.

romdrums – A Simon Phillips Sampler
1. Simon Phillips - V8
2. Derek Sherinian - Dragonfly
3. Derek Sherinian - Seven Seas
4. Simon Phillips - Undeviginti
5. Derek Sherinian - Scorpion
6. Simon Phillips - Circle Seven

First impression: The aspect you wanted me to concentrate on is as excellent as I expected. The music is very cool although I feel like it never really reaches a focal point, melodically speaking.

Favourite: Simon Phillips - Undeviginti
Least favourite: Derek Sherinian - Dragonfly

Final opinion: This will hardly come as a shock, but unless I’m seeing a band live, in person, then I tend to be a little picky when it comes to jazz and fusion. Simon Phillips is a great drummer, and indeed I’ve seen him on stage as part of Hiromi’s Trio Project, which is her best era (in my opinion) and was one of the best jazz gigs I’ve ever been to. This EP is an excellent showcase for his playing and demonstrates what a capable composer he is, but it doesn’t quite manage to excite me overall.

On the whole the tracks from his solo Protocol project are the ones I find most engaging. V8 and Undeviginti, especially, have an upbeat, energetic richness to them that’s very enjoyable. The expansive instrumental work in Undeviginti especially is great, including some really nice saxophone and a pretty memorable main motif which the other tracks have less of. Circle Seven has some great moments too, but bits of it meander a little, which isn’t a size of jazz and fusion that appeals to me hugely unless it’s done in a particularly interesting way.

The Sherinian tracks, while I’m not so into them, are still a nice surprise. I don’t find him a particularly exciting songwriter and this doesn’t really shift my view on that, but I hadn’t realised he went full on fusion in his solo work. Or are these just a handful of fusion tracks otherwise surrounded by prog and metal? I suppose Seven Seas does build into full-on prog territory. Either way, they’re pretty cool. His style of hammering the keys works well for the style, and Phillips’ drumming adds nicely to the sound as well. I enjoy it all, I just find that other than the second half of Seven Seas, it never really comes back to any particularly memorable hooks.

The EP flows pretty well, covering a coherent style with some slight branching out but nothing that strays too far from the core sound. It’s one of those that feels like simply a collection of songs that fit well together - just with the score knocked down very slightly because of the quite big volume shifts between tracks interrupting the flow a bit at times.

Music quality score: 7.8
Flow score: 3.9
EP total: 11.7

Roulette total = 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.2 + (7.8 + 3.9) = 60.8

Final position: 15th

I think this has been your most consistent performance - and narrowest range of scores - in any of my roulettes. Never managed to get above the median, but never fell far below it either. I enjoyed everything - Imogen Heap was the big standout and I feel silly for not having checked her out sooner. But Monobody and Obsidious I’m also really looking forward to digging into, and I’ll check the rest out too as nothing you sent was really a dud.

luke – god damn pizza death are great
1. Pizza Death - Pizza Death
2. Sound Ideas - Arpeggiated Series of Diminished 7th Chords on a Harp [interlude]
3. Mother’s Cake - Cybernova
4. Mother’s Cake - Hit on Your Girl
5. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Magenta Mountain
6. Andrew W.K. - Babalon
7. Andrew W.K. - Everybody Sins
8. King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Ambergris
9. Sound Ideas - Harp Glissando Accent [interlude]
10. Pizza Death - Rise of the Anchovy

First impression: For something so silly in concept, I can’t help but appreciate how surprisingly well it works. For better or worse, most of the music is very much along the lines I expected, but there are some nice surprises too.

Favourite: Andrew W.K. - Babalon
Least favourite: Pizza Death - Pizza Death

Final opinion: While not as ludicrous as Glasser’s legendary EP, this is still one of the more ridiculous ones in concept. The difference, which works in its favour, is that the absurdity is concentrated at the edges, while the core of the EP is full of good music that flows well. As a result, it’s a genuinely enjoyable and entertaining EP to listen to.

Pizza Death is pretty much exactly what I expected. :lol As a novelty act, they’re hilarious and a lot of fun, but at the end of the day it’s pretty generic and tuneless thrash metal that just happens to be about pizza. Thankfully, the songs are incredibly short so they don’t affect the overally quality much, and the way they bookend things along with the dreamy harp interludes is pretty great for the narrative that you’ve built around the EP.

I’ve heard Mother’s Cake before, but I don’t remember them being this damn funky. Cybernova doesn’t do a whole lot, but it’s an effective atmospheric build up to Hit On Your Girl which is really great. Proper funk prog, a bit bonkers, a ton of fun and with some great hooks.

And then we have more King Gizzard! I think it’s the first time I’ve ever had one person send me the same artist twice in one roulette, and of course it had to be you with the Lizard Wizard. I definitely don’t think you’ve found a second KG album for me to love, but I’ve been surprised at how well these two work as bridging songs, providing a breather between the more energetic material. Very pleasant.

And finally, Andrew W.K. I had absolutely no idea how epic his music has gotten. Literally the only thing I remember was all his hits from I Get Wet which were immensely popular, a lot of fun but very much “party rock”. And there’s for sure still a sense of fun, but damn these songs both have such a huge sound and grand epic vibe. It was hard to choose a favourite, as they’re both pretty equally great.

I’m not sure I can really explain why, but I thoroughly enjoy how this EP flows. Without your narrative it probably would have felt a little random, but with the narrative in mind, it just works really well. Even down to using the harp interludes to enter and leave the drug-fuelled hallucination dream sequence that is the core of the EP was genius, and that central core itself flows well. Despite the pretty different styles, none of the transitions feel jarring, and the tone develops throughout in a surprisingly compelling way. Just a really fun experience all round.

Music quality score: 8.2
Flow score: 4.2
EP total: 12.4

Roulette total = 8.2 + 7.9 + 8.2 + 7.9 + 8.5 + 7.8 + (8.2 + 4.2) = 60.9

Final position: 14th

Your scores have basically been an almost perfect zig-zag, consistently switching back and forth between green up arrows and red down arrows and never jumping by less than 0.3 in either direction. The sub-8 scores ultimately kept you in the bottom half, but a strong EP brought you back close to the median. Even those ones I’m interested in checking out, but it’s the >8.0 scoring entries that I’m far more excited by, especially catching up on what I’ve apparently been missing out on from Billy Talent, Andrew W.K. and Mother’s Cake. And I guess Pizza Death. :lol

Click the graphs to enlarge.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3283 on: July 21, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »
That's fair, kinda expected you to dig Boris more, but then I haven't had good luck with them on this forum, so it was worth trying at least. People get amazed I love this stoner stuff, or electronic parties, while being completely sober - like they can't comprehend just enjoying a hard hitting riff or beat all over your body without taking psychedelics or something, it's so sad. Anyway, check out Sleep, they have few albums but they're all great, in particular Dopesmoker - let me know if you ever get around to it, I'd be curious to see your reaction to it ;D

Congrats ariich (for letting me play here, you're welcome)!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3284 on: July 21, 2023, 08:48:27 AM »
People get amazed I love this stoner stuff, or electronic parties, while being completely sober - like they can't comprehend just enjoying a hard hitting riff or beat all over your body without taking psychedelics or something, it's so sad.
Oh in general I totally get it, just not so much with Boris. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3285 on: July 21, 2023, 08:54:27 AM »
 :omg:

Damn, I must've done really well.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: July 21, 2023, 08:57:49 AM »
:omg:

Damn, I must've done really well.
Currently listening to your EP, I feel ariich would like it way more than I do :lol

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3287 on: July 21, 2023, 09:01:14 AM »
  • Sacul
  • faizoff
  • Buddy
  • Evermind
  • HOF
  • Crow
  • Kinger
  • jingle.boi
  • Glasser

Dang very cool appreciate you and everyone else listening to my EP. I'm going to make a conscious effort to check out some of these other EPs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3288 on: July 21, 2023, 09:04:16 AM »
I’ll take 15th! It’s better than I had hoped. Also glad you loved the EP. Yes it featured two bands you weren’t too thrilled about but I am so happy you liked the Andrew WK album. His work, post I Get Wet, is pretty hit and miss to be honest, but the last album was honestly so damn good. It is like some synthy, sci fi, Meatloaf record or something! And I LOVE IT.

I felt kinda confident you’d like it, but not as much as you did maybe. Make sure you check out God Is Partying. Actually check out Cyberfunk! by Mother’s Cake as well, it’s pretty funky, obviously.

Once we’re done I’ll share my story for my EP.

Now, just waiting to hear Sacul’s opinion on it  :corn

As always, thanks for having me, it’s been a fun roulette and one that will go down in history as the largest yet inexplicably run to a tight time schedule.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3289 on: July 21, 2023, 09:07:07 AM »
I love how the From Weed To Bliss results ends with “joint”.  :lol