Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91854 times)

Offline romdrums

Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - EP first impressions!
« Reply #2625 on: July 10, 2023, 10:39:37 AM »
1, 15, 35, 42.  Feels like I'm picking lottery numbers!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2626 on: July 10, 2023, 10:42:11 AM »
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2627 on: July 10, 2023, 10:50:36 AM »
Yeah I ain't reading all that, I'm gonna wait for like 75% of the list to be solved. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2628 on: July 10, 2023, 10:54:21 AM »
I feel like three guesses for one impression is fair so let's begin with

2, 16, 20, 23, 27, 37
12 for my first crack at it. 
Yes!

Just judging by the titles, looks like Litho and I were the only ones who tried working the theme of the roulette into the theme of the EP. Slackers!
Not the only ones in fact, there were a few of you. :lol

14 & 36?

This is going to be a bitch to guess lol
14 yes, but 36 no.

1, 15, 35, 42.  Feels like I'm picking lottery numbers!
42 is one of them, yep.

I'll take a shot at 44 first...
25 and 37?
well, 4 is me for sure  :lol

The second one might be 20
Let's see... 7, 14, 16, 28?
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
All nope, surprisingly enough.

That’s a lot of impressions to read through, LOL!
This is true. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2629 on: July 10, 2023, 10:54:59 AM »
EP final first impressions

Just like in my v6, you get two impressions each! CHAOS!

1. The first few songs remind me of what you achieved in round 2.
2. I almost wish I could award points for story because you’ve absolutely nailed how the music supports the narrative here.
3. The inclusion of vocals (and good ones at that) in styles that don’t always have them helps keep it pretty engaging.
4. Yeah ok this is definitely cheesy. :lol
5. Gloomy but ethereal and rather engaging.
6. Two of these singers sound so similar, are you sure they're separate people?
7. This is all very much what I’d expect to get from you, and it’s a solid selection of fairly intense songs.
8. To varying degrees I’m familiar with these artists, and all but one of the songs have increased my interest in exploring further.
9. Novelty aside, this is an incredibly mixed bag with a couple of very good songs in amongst the weakest music I’ve possibly ever been sent in a roulette.
10. There’s a nice groove throughout though, and it all feels very coherent.
11. For better or worse, most of the music is very much along the lines I expected, but there are some nice surprises too.
13. That said, it picks up a lot and there’s an emotional warmth that threads through the whole EP.
15. No surprises here, but lots of great stuff with top notch playing and nice hooks.
16. The EP takes a weird turn at the end but otherwise it’s good, and I may have been sleeping on one of the artists.
17. I’m not sure any of these artists are likely to be entirely my thing, but it’s a lot of fun for what it is.
18. There's a pleasingly hopeful tone to a lot of this.
19. I’m not yet sure how well it all fits together, as there are some big shifts in mood and style.
21. Not sure I loved every song, but there's some lovely stuff and a real warmth throughout.
22. The songs all sound good to great, though some of the heavier ones seemed so similar to other bands it was a little distracting.
23. The songs all seem pretty strong in a moody sort of way, with one artist in particular standing out immediately.
24. This is all pretty cool but I feel like, to get the most out of it, you need to be in a particular mood I’m unlikely to be in.
25. The music is very cool although I feel like it never really reaches a focal point, melodically speaking.
26. Not as cheesy as I might have expected - indeed it’s generally tasteful and interesting.
28. The style might have got a little samey, but there’s enough nuance between the different artists to keep it interesting.
29. I like the way this covers different styles but has a consistent tone to it, which helps it feel coherent.
30. This felt varied, fusing together two or three distinct genres, but still really cohesive.
31. For all the varied music I’ve been sent in this roulette, this selection still feels kind of unique and enjoyable.
32. There are some wonderful moments in the music, but it’s intense and some of the vocals aren’t my favourite.
33. This was very entertaining and I can’t fault you for thematic coherence even if it was at the expense of quality.
34. There’s a nice bit of variety here in terms of energy but it flows smoothly.
35. Pretty straightforward approach you took to this EP but I think it works effectively for what you wanted to do.
36. Most of the music is not a style that generally tends to excite me, but these songs are enjoyable enough.
37. You’re not the only one to go with a heavy and light theme, but I do really like your take on it.
38. One or two of the artists could be among the best you've sent in the roulette.
39. Two of these bands I really feel like I should have heard before.
40. I hear a surprising amount of early Haken in the first song, while the rest is more the sort of thing I’d normally expect from you.
41. For something so silly in concept, I can’t help but appreciate how surprisingly well it works.
43. Not sure I love every song, but there's lots of talent and creativity.
44. I don’t think I’ll ever fall in love with guitar noodling, but this might be among the nicest I’ve heard.
45. This started rather more middle-of-the-road than I might have expected from you.
46. This EP is structurally simple, which helps it flow pretty smoothly.

Evermind – Arrogance
 - This EP has a long slow build in the first half but it’s very engaging and the narrative is part of that.
 - The artists I haven’t heard before are my favourites here, but you’ve also made good use of those I have.

faizoff – The Last of Me
 - This is a little different to anything else I’ve been sent, which is why I’ve loved having you in this roulette regardless of your scores.
 -

King – Breaking Through the Relationship Pain
 - Seems like a nice mix of upbeat prog - nothing too challenging but all enjoyable.
 -

romdrums – A [redacted] Sampler
 - The aspect you wanted me to concentrate on is as excellent as I expected.
 -

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2630 on: July 10, 2023, 10:57:31 AM »
I hoped for #2 but I'll take these too!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online faizoff

« Reply #2631 on: July 10, 2023, 11:03:58 AM »
Ok 8, 9 or 17?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline HOF

« Reply #2632 on: July 10, 2023, 11:22:01 AM »
29 and/or 30?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2633 on: July 10, 2023, 11:41:26 AM »
45. This started rather more middle-of-the-road than I might have expected from you.
13. That said, it picks up a lot and there’s an emotional warmth that threads through the whole EP.
what if instead of doing the whole thing i just go thru with these two that obviously belong together
i could be wrong tho 'cause i'm hoping for more positive impressions than this  :lol

my EP doesn't have enough whahibrido pickingant for this roulette, i think

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2634 on: July 10, 2023, 11:44:16 AM »
Because I'm usually, you know, spot on  :biggrin: I'm gonna be bold and go with two guesses only, instead of casting a wider net

11. For better or worse, most of the music is very much along the lines I expected, but there are some nice surprises too.
23. The songs all seem pretty strong in a moody sort of way, with one artist in particular standing out immediately.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2635 on: July 10, 2023, 12:19:14 PM »
6,7,23,&28
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2636 on: July 10, 2023, 12:48:01 PM »
6,7,23,&28
No.

Ok 8, 9 or 17?
29 and/or 30?
Still no. :P

what if instead of doing the whole thing i just go thru with these two that obviously belong together
Spot on.

Because I'm usually, you know, spot on  :biggrin: I'm gonna be bold and go with two guesses only, instead of casting a wider net

23 is right, but not 11.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2637 on: July 10, 2023, 12:48:16 PM »

2. I almost wish I could award points for story because you’ve absolutely nailed how the music supports the narrative here.
3. The inclusion of vocals (and good ones at that) in styles that don’t always have them helps keep it pretty engaging.
7. This is all very much what I’d expect to get from you, and it’s a solid selection of fairly intense songs.
8. To varying degrees I’m familiar with these artists, and all but one of the songs have increased my interest in exploring further.
9. Novelty aside, this is an incredibly mixed bag with a couple of very good songs in amongst the weakest music I’ve possibly ever been sent in a roulette.
15. No surprises here, but lots of great stuff with top notch playing and nice hooks.
16. The EP takes a weird turn at the end but otherwise it’s good, and I may have been sleeping on one of the artists.
17. I’m not sure any of these artists are likely to be entirely my thing, but it’s a lot of fun for what it is.
19. I’m not yet sure how well it all fits together, as there are some big shifts in mood and style.
21. Not sure I loved every song, but there's some lovely stuff and a real warmth throughout.
22. The songs all sound good to great, though some of the heavier ones seemed so similar to other bands it was a little distracting.
24. This is all pretty cool but I feel like, to get the most out of it, you need to be in a particular mood I’m unlikely to be in.
25. The music is very cool although I feel like it never really reaches a focal point, melodically speaking.
26. Not as cheesy as I might have expected - indeed it’s generally tasteful and interesting.
28. The style might have got a little samey, but there’s enough nuance between the different artists to keep it interesting.
29. I like the way this covers different styles but has a consistent tone to it, which helps it feel coherent.
30. This felt varied, fusing together two or three distinct genres, but still really cohesive.
31. For all the varied music I’ve been sent in this roulette, this selection still feels kind of unique and enjoyable.
32. There are some wonderful moments in the music, but it’s intense and some of the vocals aren’t my favourite.
33. This was very entertaining and I can’t fault you for thematic coherence even if it was at the expense of quality.
34. There’s a nice bit of variety here in terms of energy but it flows smoothly.
35. Pretty straightforward approach you took to this EP but I think it works effectively for what you wanted to do.
36. Most of the music is not a style that generally tends to excite me, but these songs are enjoyable enough.
37. You’re not the only one to go with a heavy and light theme, but I do really like your take on it.
38. One or two of the artists could be among the best you've sent in the roulette.
40. I hear a surprising amount of early Haken in the first song, while the rest is more the sort of thing I’d normally expect from you.
41. For something so silly in concept, I can’t help but appreciate how surprisingly well it works.
44. I don’t think I’ll ever fall in love with guitar noodling, but this might be among the nicest I’ve heard.

Buddy – Dark Matter / Star Light
 -
 -

Crow – Sonoran Sunset Skies
 - This started rather more middle-of-the-road than I might have expected from you.
 - That said, it picks up a lot and there’s an emotional warmth that threads through the whole EP.

Evermind – Arrogance
 - This EP has a long slow build in the first half but it’s very engaging and the narrative is part of that.
 - The artists I haven’t heard before are my favourites here, but you’ve also made good use of those I have.

faizoff – The Last of Me
 - This is a little different to anything else I’ve been sent, which is why I’ve loved having you in this roulette regardless of your scores.
 -

Glasser – Fuck The Flow: The Lonely Tampon
 -
 -

HOF – Disappointing, Said The Horse as He Floated From His Distant Body
 -
 -

jingle – Power|Ballads
 -
 -

-
 - Seems like a nice mix of upbeat prog - nothing too challenging but all enjoyable.

Litho – The Luminescent Nocturnal Tango
 -
 -

lonestar – Genres Across Japan
 -
 -

luke – god damn pizza death are great
 -
 -

Luoto – Pohjola: Maiden of the North
 -
 -

nick_z – A Journey of Muses
 -
 - The songs all seem pretty strong in a moody sort of way, with one artist in particular standing out immediately.

Puppies – Hidden
 -
 -

Reaper – No True Masterpiece Will Ever Be Complete - An EP
 -
 -

-

Sacul – from weed to bliss
 -
 -

seneca – On Your Rocks
 -
 -

soupy – Cheese Ahoy!
 -
 -

Stadler – The Arc of the Curve
 -
 -

TAC – Drown
 -
 -

Vmadera – The Still of the Night
 -
 -

wolfking – Remember that Death is Not the End, but Only a Transition
 -
 -

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2638 on: July 10, 2023, 12:52:37 PM »
Let's guess.... 30,35,38, or 46?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2639 on: July 10, 2023, 12:52:57 PM »
you're, unfortunately, wrong as i love all the songs on it a lot  :lol but i was worried it'd start a bit too normal for you but w/e they'll grow on you

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2640 on: July 10, 2023, 12:57:29 PM »
As no one picked up on my guess being a reference, I’ll add my actual guess…

8, 9, 19, 33 & 41

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2641 on: July 10, 2023, 01:03:06 PM »
36 and 46?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online faizoff

« Reply #2642 on: July 10, 2023, 01:04:06 PM »
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

As no one picked up on my guess being a reference,

I picked up on it. :biggrin:  Forgot to comment.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2643 on: July 10, 2023, 01:06:22 PM »
is it a king gizzard reference :neverusethis:

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2644 on: July 10, 2023, 01:42:55 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2645 on: July 10, 2023, 01:47:40 PM »

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2646 on: July 10, 2023, 01:56:01 PM »
Just judging by the titles, looks like Litho and I were the only ones who tried working the theme of the roulette into the theme of the EP. Slackers!

Wrong. I did a milder version of light/heavierdark series of alternating tracks.

How’s about striking out the correctly guessed impressions for those of us with shorter attention spans?

(Politely) Asking for a friend.  :biggrin:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #2647 on: July 10, 2023, 01:56:17 PM »
19?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2648 on: July 10, 2023, 01:58:42 PM »
For me? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2649 on: July 10, 2023, 01:59:52 PM »

That’s slick. I didn’t think of that.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2650 on: July 10, 2023, 02:04:10 PM »

That’s slick. I didn’t think of that.

Mine actually did too.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2651 on: July 10, 2023, 02:11:06 PM »
Let's guess.... 30,35,38, or 46?
38 is right, but not the others.

you're, unfortunately, wrong as i love all the songs on it a lot  :lol but i was worried it'd start a bit too normal for you but w/e they'll grow on you
Well the start is only 1 song out of 5 so even if it doesn't grow on me much, the rest has a lot of potential.

8, 9, 19, 33 & 41
Yes to 41, but not the others.

36 and 46?
19?
Keep trying, guys...

How’s about striking out the correctly guessed impressions for those of us with shorter attention spans?
I'm transferring them down into each person's list once they're correctly guessed! You're right about the short attention span though. :neverusethis:

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2652 on: July 10, 2023, 02:11:22 PM »

Buddy – Dark Matter / Star Light
  -
  -

Crow – Sonoran Sunset Skies
  - This started rather more middle-of-the-road than I might have expected from you.
  - That said, it picks up a lot and there’s an emotional warmth that threads through the whole EP.

Evermind – Arrogance

faizoff – The Last of Me
  -

Glasser – Fuck The Flow: The Lonely Tampon
  -
  -

HOF – Disappointing, Said The Horse as He Floated From His Distant Body
  -
  -

jingle – Power|Ballads
  - You’re not the only one to go with a heavy and light theme, but I do really like your take on it.
  - Most of the music is not a style that generally tends to excite me, but these songs are enjoyable enough.

-

Litho – The Luminescent Nocturnal Tango
  -
  -

lonestar – Genres Across Japan
  -
  - One or two of the artists could be among the best you've sent in the roulette.

luke – god damn pizza death are great
  - For something so silly in concept, I can’t help but appreciate how surprisingly well it works.
  -

Luoto – Pohjola: Maiden of the North
  -
  -

nick_z – A Journey of Muses
  -
  - The songs all seem pretty strong in a moody sort of way, with one artist in particular standing out immediately.

Puppies – Hidden
  -
  -

Reaper – No True Masterpiece Will Ever Be Complete - An EP
  -
  -

-

Sacul – from weed to bliss
  -
  -

seneca – On Your Rocks
  -
  -

soupy – Cheese Ahoy!
  -
  -

Stadler – The Arc of the Curve
  -
  -

TAC – Drown
  -
  -

Vmadera – The Still of the Night
  -
  -

wolfking – Remember that Death is Not the End, but Only a Transition
  -
  -

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2653 on: July 10, 2023, 02:12:36 PM »
I had some time on my hands …. Didn’t check this against correctly guessed impressions

28. The style might have got a little samey, but there’s enough nuance between the different artists to keep it interesting
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2654 on: July 10, 2023, 02:15:17 PM »
*applause*

Updated in the quoted post above as it's so recent.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2655 on: July 10, 2023, 02:18:22 PM »
10, 11, 34, 39

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2656 on: July 10, 2023, 02:26:23 PM »
Well the start is only 1 song out of 5 so even if it doesn't grow on me much, the rest has a lot of potential.
so if the one song that i sent hadn't been banned and i didn't swap it out for that one i would've been golden, got it  :lol
is it too late to make another swap  :corn

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #2657 on: July 10, 2023, 02:31:06 PM »
Rich, any chance you can make it clearer which ones are yet to be guessed? Not easy with 46 of the fuckers!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2658 on: July 10, 2023, 02:34:26 PM »
he's removing the ones that have already been guessed and moving them down under the names  :P

Offline romdrums

« Reply #2659 on: July 10, 2023, 02:36:48 PM »
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

As no one picked up on my guess being a reference,

I picked up on it. :biggrin:  Forgot to comment.

I was locked in on it, but it seems a lot of the others were simply lost.  ;)
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.