Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91584 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 6 comparisons
« Reply #2170 on: July 01, 2023, 03:26:20 PM »
my EP is absolutely stacked imo, so i don't expect a lower score than 8.2 at any point now  :corn
You, Evermind and TAC have all scored 8.2 or higher in every round so far.

You absolute roulette beasts.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2171 on: July 01, 2023, 03:27:59 PM »
my EP is absolutely stacked imo, so i don't expect a lower score than 8.2 at any point now  :corn
You, Evermind and TAC have all scored 8.2 or higher in every round so far.

You absolute roulette beasts.

You actual roulette beast.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2172 on: July 01, 2023, 03:29:34 PM »
That's bananas.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2173 on: July 01, 2023, 05:39:03 PM »
But that would result in a completely different sound and atmosphere, and the arrangements and melodies wouldn't work nearly as well :P . It's essential to the album, not just a "fancy effect" on top.

Hmm, for me it's more like trying to eat a chocolate cake, but someone just squirted mustard all over it.
That analogy makes no sense here - the production of these songs are not the mustard on top but one of the core ingredients. It's an artistic choice to go with noise and out of tune instruments from the beginning, and writing songs that work well with that. Some artists focus on the arrangements first, and don't give much thought to the production side of things, others are the complete opposite (happens a lot on ambient and experimental genres), and sometimes both aspects are deeply intertwined, like here.

Another album that I think is masterful on that regard is On the Aeroplane Over the Sea - I hated it at first, but once it clicked, I was hooked. And boy that record is "technically flawed" as hell :lol, and I love it because of that, not in spite of.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2174 on: July 01, 2023, 06:03:09 PM »
Yeah, I recall that being an album that was frustrating for similar reasons.  If it's really baked into the core that makes it even worse for me, personally.  I suppose there are enough bands out there that there's an aesthetic for everyone, I just find that one particularly vexing, because it had a lot of interesting elements to it otherwise.  Maybe ariich will turn out to love it! 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2175 on: July 01, 2023, 06:10:13 PM »
I was thinking of doing a Japanese theme for mine...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2176 on: July 01, 2023, 06:19:50 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2177 on: July 01, 2023, 06:24:46 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2178 on: July 02, 2023, 12:18:08 PM »
Back home and I'm pretty sure Rich is going to post the results soon, so here's the thing - I've got my EP ready, but I really need to sit down and write the story. I know how it's going to go but I still need to actually put it into words, and I want to do it justice, so regardless of how soon Rich posts the results, the soonest I can do it is to send my EP on Wednesday evening. Hopefuly that's okay.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 12:25:40 PM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2179 on: July 02, 2023, 12:35:58 PM »
Back home and I'm pretty sure Rich is going to post the results soon, so here's the thing - I've got my EP ready, but I really need to sit down and write the story. I know how it's going to go but I still need to actually put it into words, and I want to do it justice, so regardless of how soon Rich posts the results, the soonest I can do it is to send my EP on Wednesday evening. Hopefuly that's okay.

Inexcusable...get your shit together man....

:-* :laugh:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2180 on: July 02, 2023, 02:04:56 PM »

You better not hold up Hangman!!!! Get the songs in and the story can follow. ;D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2181 on: July 02, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »
Wednesday would be absolutely fine for EPs, no worries at all Ruslan. Thanks for checking though!

I'm hopeful I'll finish these writeups tonight and get them posted before I go to bed.

Another album that I think is masterful on that regard is On the Aeroplane Over the Sea - I hated it at first, but once it clicked, I was hooked. And boy that record is "technically flawed" as hell :lol, and I love it because of that, not in spite of.
That is indeed the band I was referring to in my first impression.

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2182 on: July 02, 2023, 02:47:27 PM »
Wednesday. Bloody hell, I better get a move on!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2183 on: July 02, 2023, 02:50:12 PM »

Damn straight.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2184 on: July 02, 2023, 02:53:56 PM »
Write-ups today? Sweet...

I'll go ahead and send my EP like a responsible roulette player....

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2185 on: July 02, 2023, 03:08:08 PM »
Aaaaaaaaaand sent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2186 on: July 02, 2023, 03:09:37 PM »
To be honest I'll be comfortable with slightly later still if people want more time to fine-tune things. It's the final round and an EP round, and I don't want people to feel rushed. That said, I don't want people taking the piss. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2187 on: July 02, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
After several iterations the last two days, I think I have my EP ready to go now.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2188 on: July 02, 2023, 03:17:53 PM »
i sent my EP a few weeks ago, so  :hat
slackers!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2189 on: July 02, 2023, 03:23:38 PM »
i sent my EP a few weeks ago, so  :hat
slackers!

Pretty much...had mine ready for a while.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 6 RESULTS
« Reply #2190 on: July 02, 2023, 03:42:51 PM »
ROUND 6 RESULTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stadler – Aerosmith
1. Simoriah
2. Combination
3. No More No More
4. Seasons of Wither

First impression: Not sure this is a huge departure from my expectations, but the songs are enjoyable enough and there’s some nice variety.

Final opinion: I’ve not heard all that much Aerosmith before, just the odd song here and there. I don’t think I ever had particularly detailed expectations, other than a general classic rock sound which is in abundance here. So I know you were aiming to send a selection that’s unusual for the band, but any departure from their normal style is lost on me. :lol That said, I do enjoy the variety here. Simoriah is very 80s and energetic, Combination is very bluesy, No More is theatrical and almost reminiscent of Meat Loaf, and Seasons of Wither is kind of mellow and grungy (but predating grunge). Each has something quite enjoyable about it, but none of them really hits my interests that much. Some of their hits that I’ve heard before might have been a little more standard stylistically, but from what I remember some of them at least had pretty strong hooks to make them a bit more memorable.

Score: 7.4

faizoff – Run The Jewels
1. Legend Has It
2. Ooh La La
3. JU$T
4. Out of Sight
5. Close Your Eyes (And Count To Fuck)

First impression: Not entirely aligned to my tastes when it comes to this genre, but there’s a cool mix of groove and tension to it.

Final opinion: When it comes to hip-hop, I tend to prefer the stuff that’s more melodic (even if that’s just in the backing music on the rap-dominated side of the genre). The Kendrick Lamar songs that Sacul sent me in round 1 were great, and English grime artist Stormzy is another strong example. This is a bit different to what I’d normally go for, in that it’s not really about melody but relies more heavily on the groove of the beat, the flow of the vocals and the nuances in the production. Thankfully it still does those things pretty well. The main chorus motif of Ooh La La is… kind of annoying, I could have done without that song. :lol But for the rest, the groove especially is there, and there’s also an uneasy tension throughout that’s interesting and kind of compelling. Zack de la Rocha’s guest vocals are also cool. Can’t see myself wanting to return to this much, but it’s enjoyable for what it is.

Score: 7.7

wolfking – Kreator
1. Escalation
2. Strongest of the Strong
3. Fallen Brother
4. Death Becomes My Light

First impression: Sounds solid and chunky but I’m not sure it's entirely what I'm looking for in this style - then again I’ve thought that before and made myself look silly, so who knows.

Final opinion: I caveated my first impression after getting it so wrong with Wolfheart! But this hasn’t grown on me in the same way, unfortunately. Which isn’t to say that it’s not enjoyable, because it is a solid slice of thrash metal. The songs have a lot of energy, and the riffing is tight as befitting of the genre. There’s some pretty fun soloing at times too, although it’s nothing special. The main thing holding it back is the vocals, which aren’t terrible but also aren’t really a style I particularly enjoy. It’s not only a matter of the delivery, but also the writing - the vocal lines just don’t really do anything that interests me. Strongest of the Strong is a good example of this - the instrumental work is great and I find myself bopping my head along to the instrumental section every time, but the vocals are just kind of blah. The one I enjoy most is Death Become My Light, if only because of the nostalgia of it sounding like a cross between 80s-era Metallica and Iron Maiden.

Score: 7.8

luke – The Dirty Nil
1. Doom Boy
2. Done With Drugs
3. One More and the Bill
4. Celebration
5. Nicer Guy

First impression: This sounded fun - somewhat similar to your last round, if not as memorable.

Final opinion: So yeah these songs are very enjoyable, but I’m not finding most of them anything more than that really. The core style is pop punk, hence my comment about being similar to last round, but there are some differences too. Some of the songs are more riffy and crunchy, which is kind of a cool idea although on the whole those sections still aren’t really grabbing me that much. It does kind of sound about 20 years out of date - is this style back in fashion? The ones I’m enjoying most, which probably won’t surprise you, are the ones that have a hint of Frank Turner about them - Done With Drugs and One More and the Bill. They’re straightforward but they have that same “I messed up but I’m working to fix it” vibe that Frank does so well. I gather from RYM that the album those are from isn’t very popular, but it seems like it might be more my thing!

Score: 7.8

Luoto – Foscor
1. Ciutat Tràgica
2. Altars
3. De Marges I Matinades

First impression: The gloomy sound is enticing, but a lot of the music is melodically quite unusual and I’m not yet sure what to make of it.

Final opinion: This surprised me in ways both good and not so good. You send me different styles (although we joke that you only send me Finnish death metal) but individually I pretty much always have a clear idea of how to define each one. Whereas even after five listens, I don’t really know what this is, and that in itself is pretty cool. Is it prog metal? Psychedelic rock? Doomy post-metal? Whatever it is, I’m intrigued by this band and this album. The actual music, though, is hit and miss. Harmonically it’s a little off-kilter, almost jazzy at times - again not something I normally get from you - and I’m not sure it always works although there are great moments. Altars is a pretty excellent song all round - moody, rich and quite immersive. The end of De Marges is great too. But much of that song and most of Ciutat Tràgica don’t really work for me, melodically speaking.

Score: 7.9

Glasser – Bastian Per
1. Defeat Device
2. The Mystery Behind
3. The Safe Place

First impression: Sounded solid enough but not much stood out really other than the fact that these guys seem to like hammond organ.

Final opinion: On the whole, this is incredibly vanilla prog rock/metal but there’s enough here to enjoy anyway. Defeat Device kicks in with the most generic hard rock riff imaginable and doesn’t really deviate from that. The song has a lot of energy, but otherwise has very little that appeals to me - even the chorus lacks a good hook and the solo is kind of meh. Thankfully it picks up a lot after that. Still not very original, but that doesn’t matter too much if the music is good. The Mystery Behind has a kind of theatrical groove to it that’s really very enjoyable, and it’s easily my favourite here. The Safe Place is also very pleasant - again bordering on generic as far as prog ballads go, but it has a nice build up towards the end, the piano work is really nice and the song in general feels emotional without being too sappy.

Score: 7.9

soupy – dEUS
1. Everybody's Weird
2. Instant Street
3. Keep You Close

First impression: This had a cool indie-ish sound to it, wasn’t sure all of the music quite matched up but the last track sounded great.

Final opinion: Yeah ok so five listens in and my opinion hasn’t really moved on from my first impression, so I can see this being a short write-up. :lol The general sound is very cool - the music is fairly simple but the instrumentation is quite busy, and they use a lot of interesting sounds. The first two songs are good, but perhaps nothing special other than the aforementioned cool sound. That said, the instrumental section in the second half of Instant Street is a lot of fun - it has a great little groove to it, and the motif is slightly awkward in a way that’s pretty interesting. Keep You Close is a little more straightforward in style, kind of symphonic indie pop, but it’s lush and emotive and just really memorable. Definitely my favourite here, and it salvaged a solid score as a result.

Score: 8.0

nick_z – Saviour Machine
1. Carnival of Souls
2. Ludicrous Smiles
3. Legion

First impression: This isn't blowing me away so far - a little “of its time” perhaps - but it’s moody and melodic and pretty engaging.

Final opinion: I should start by saying that I was already very familiar with Eric Clayton's voice from Ayreon’s The Human Equation. I really liked him a lot in that, his voice was so different to all the others and indeed a departure from what you'd normally expect in prog generally. But I never got round to checking out his other work. Funnily enough, this is pretty much exactly what I'd expect it to sound like. 90s gothic rock with some proggy leanings, a very moody atmosphere and a very emotive approach and delivery. The melodic hooks don't entirely grab me - indeed after five listens I couldn't tell you how any of it goes - but the overall music and vibe and his passionate delivery are enough to still make it very engaging.

Score: 8.0

Sacul – The Microphones
1. I Want Wind to Blow
2. The Glow, Pt 2
3. The Gleam, Pt 2
4. Samurai Sword
5. My Roots Are Strong and Deep

First impression: I don’t often go for a production style this “indie”, but some of this reminded me of another artist I like that bucks that trend.

Final opinion: So yeah, this is not exactly my usual style and to be honest it’s quite hit and miss, and yet at the same time I find it quite compelling. It reminds me a little of In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. That’s similarly indie and lo-fi in composition and production, and yet it’s a weirdly engaging album with some incredibly evocative moments. In this case, it starts very nondescript - the first half of I Want Wind to Blow is a little tuneless, but then the melodic acoustic motif starts, and the song just develops from there - and the way it builds and segues into The Glow is really quite wonderful. The Glow is then all-round great - the intensity at the start isn’t held back by the lo-fi sound, if anything it gives it a raw edge. And the emotive middle section is really the bit that calls to mind NMH. The Gleam is an interlude that doesn’t do much for me, kind of out of key and awkward, but quite atmospheric I suppose. Samurai Sword does lose me a bit though, unfortunately. I don’t feel the intensity here, it just sounds messy. And finally a return to form somewhat with My Roots which is a sombre but pleasant way to finish off. Overall I dig this a lot but it somehow manages to encapsulate the full spectrum from meh through decent to amazing, all in 18 minutes.

Score: 8.1

Buddy – Cave In
1. New Reality
2. Floating Skulls
3. Amaranthine
4. Heavy Pendulum

First impression: This seemed more interesting that I might have expected - nice balance of groove and melody.

Final opinion: Ok yes, this is a big step up from the selection that LordCost sent me two roulettes ago. That was mostly from what I understand was a more experimental, proggy early album of theirs and, apart from one song, it didn’t really jibe with me. This is a much more straightforward blend of stoner rock/metal and bits of post-hardcore in style, but it’s much more engaging musically. Other than the harsh vocals, which are pretty impactful, the performances here are nothing special. But they don’t need to be to support this style - it’s all about the vibe and tunes, both of which are solid. The first three songs I liked straight away and that didn’t really change at all. Heavy Pendulum I was unconvinced about at first, but it ended up being my favourite - that hook in the chorus is weirdly infectious and the song generally has such a cool groove to it.

Score: 8.1

Vmadera – Volbeat
1. Becoming
2. Say No More
3. Shotgun Blues
4. Temple of Ekur

First impression: Verses were pretty much what I expected from this band, but the choruses were better - great hooks and surprising richness.

Final opinion: Here’s another band I have prior experience with, having seen them at a festival and checked out one of their albums (Beyond Hell/Above Heaven) which I was not especially impressed by. As so often happens in my roulettes, this submission is far more interesting. The riffs and verses are still kind of run-of-the-mill thrash-lite metal with adequate vocal lines; nothing there to really get my teeth into. But damn, most of these choruses are so good. Did they always write such great hooks and I just failed to notice for some reason? Whatever the case, this is definitely up my alley. Say No More is the only one that doesn’t really grab me - it’s ok, but just sounds like mid-tier Metallica. But Shotgun Blues has a fun chorus, and the other two songs’ choruses are superb - as well as being super catchy, they have an uplifting quality to them that simply makes me feel good listening to them. I can’t think of many artists where I love the choruses but have almost no interest in anything else.

Score: 8.2

jingle – Sass Jordan
1. So Hard
2. I Want to Believe
3. You Don’t Have to Remind Me
4. High Road Easy

First impression: Not sure why you didn’t just send this in the lighter rounds - it’s pretty straightforward but very nice.

Final opinion: It kind of surprised me that you sent pre-2000s music to me in an open round - it’s not tended to do great for you in my roulettes, and we’ve usually found more overlap of taste in more modern music. It also feels on the lighter end of things, but wasn’t sent in a light round. And the most pleasant surprise of all is how much I like it, considering how straightforward and stylistically middle-of-the-road it is. She has a great voice, of course, and thankfully the music here is just really nice - with consistently strong hooks, especially in the choruses - such that it doesn’t need any bells and whistles. I’ve no idea how representative it is of her music, but I also really like the variety you’ve included. So Hard and Remind Me are reasonably standard rock songs, but I Want to Believe is a lovely ballad while the funky groove in High Road Easy is just great fun.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 11:19:42 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2191 on: July 02, 2023, 03:43:03 PM »
romdrums – Stabbing Westward
1. I Am Nothing
2. Save Yourself
3. Cold
4. Waking Up Beside You

First impression: The sound was cool for all of this, but I was definitely more attracted to the strong melodies and passionate delivery of the more recent material.

Final opinion: Alright, time for some industrial rock. I’ve seen their name mentioned for years, and I remember seeing the album cover for Chasing Ghosts when it came out as I think there was hype around it at the time. And I can see why, based on the two songs here that are from it - they’re so good! For all four songs, the general sound is pretty great. I don’t listen to a huge amount of industrial rock but when done well, it has a dark, intense groove that I can really get into, and these songs capture the right energy. The two older songs from Darkest Days don’t necessarily back this up with particularly interesting music - not bad, certainly, but nothing that really jumps out at me and the energy is possibly affected by the production being a little dated. But man, I Am Nothing just hits me right in the face on every listen, such a great song to start with, and Cold is really excellent as well. The more modern production also helps elevate these two, giving them a lot of punch where needed, but also a lot of clarity for the electronic elements.

Reaper – Black Map
1. Head for the Hills
2. Madness
3. Octavia
4. Foxglove
5. Why Burn

First impression: Doesn't quite capture the magic of the obvious comparator, but it’s still some really nice, proggy alternative rock.

Final opinion: The obvious comparator is, of course, dredg, seeing as both bands share a member and play in a similar sort of style. Nothing here quite matches up to The Pariah, the Parrot, the Delusion or the better stuff from Catch Without Arms, but it’s still great on its own merits. Madness and Foxglove are probably the most “normal” and least interesting songs here, but they’re still good and the latter has a cool groovy energy in its main riff. The other three are really great - a mix of feeling and strong hooks. Oddly enough, the other comparator that keeps coming to mind at times is the more mellow alt-rock side of Thrice - there’s something about the combination of the melodies and the vocal delivery that has the same warmth that I really like.

Crow – Victory Over the Sun
1. Thorn Woos The Wound

First impression: There’s one very uncomfortable aspect that I don’t THINK will be too overbearing but at this point I genuinely have no idea where this might fall in the 6.5-8.5 range.

Final opinion: I’ve been on a bit of a journey with this song. On my first listen, I was really struck by some very dissonant moments. And not just normal discordant music but really quite an abrasive clash, which is why I looked up whether she did microtonal stuff and assumed that must be what it was. Fair enough, you’ve now confirmed there isn’t any (intentionally anyway :P) on this album, but regardless, those moments haven’t really lost their harsh dissonance for me and they still sound off. I struggled with those bits on the first couple of listens, but there aren’t many of them, they don’t tend to linger long before resolving, and there was other stuff I liked a lot and I hoped the balance would work out. I’m happy to report that it does indeed work pretty great. The first third of the song especially is kind of mesmerising. Oddly enough it’s where the most discordant stuff sits, but it’s also where these huge emotional and melodic swells suck me in. The middle third I remain unsold on - I guess I can see what she was going for with the quiet jazz and shrieky whispers, but nothing about it is particularly pleasant to listen to (although I gather that may be the point). But then the final third is really compelling again, with the vibe flitting between funereal and weirdly jubilant, kind of reminiscent of a black metal version of what some Russian composers like Shostakovich were doing in 20th century orchestral music. Anyway this seems to have ended up being my longest write-up of the roulette which doesn’t surprise me. You’ve sent me things before that really challenge my tastes but none has captured my interest quite so well as this one.

Litho – Autumn
1. Liquid Under Film Noir
2. Skydancer
3. The Phantom Limb
4. Stacked Smoke

First impression: This sounded up my alley - punchy, emotive and slick, with great vocals especially in the choruses.

Final opinion: You started this submission with a song that really doesn’t waste any time, just jumps straight into a huge sound and a crunchy, dark riff. It develops as it goes though and does ease back with a mellower section later in the song. In general it was just such a great introduction to the band. These songs are all great really, although the production isn’t as strong on the last two. Oddly enough, I can’t really say the songs grew on me on subsequent listens. Normally I enjoy things slightly more or less with each listen and try and capture that in where I end up with the eventual score. Whereas I loved this straight away and it sort of refused to budge even slightly either way at any point. Skydancer has a fantastic chorus and some lovely ambience in the bridge section, while Phantom Limb is very emotive and includes some great proggy synth work. Stacked Smoke probably stands out the least, but it’s still a really nice song and, like all the others, features top-notch vocals.

Score: 8.3

TAC – Hwaino
1. Ashes Of The World Tree
2. Sweet Forgetfulness
3. Under The Beast's Sun

First impression: The heavy side was sometimes a little rough around the edges, but the atmospheric side was gorgeous and definitely compensates, although by how much remains to be seen.

Final opinion: Hmm, I think my first impression was a little unfair, to be honest. It’s true that some of the more straight up black metal moments aren’t super strong in terms of production, but definitely not that bad. The weakest is probably the opening of the first song, which may have coloured that first listen. As it turns out, so much of this music is atmospheric and/or melodic that I don’t know why it didn’t hit me more right away, it’s wonderful and really does dominate. That moment in Ashes when the saxophone comes in and leads into this wonderful bit of melodic, symphonic black metal is just glorious. But all three songs have something gorgeous in them. There’s great use of strings throughout, and Under the Beast’s Sun has a beautiful piano intro and lovely clean vocal sections later on. This really has grown on me with each listen and, as you may have noticed, even snuck in an extra 0.1 at the end.

Score: 8.4

lonestar – TRiDENT
1. Opening -The Return of Us-
2. Just Fight
3. Re:ply
4. Survivor
5. Continue
6. Ambivalent

First impression: Sometimes, great energy and hooks are all you really need.

Final opinion: These songs are just so infectious. They’re one of the more stylistically straightforward Japanese bands you’ve sent in this roulette, but just a really well-refined, slick and catchy version of that hard rock style. The overall sound is excellent, very punchy and clear and the band plays with a ton of energy and confidence. The songs are all pretty great, but what I like most is that a couple of them really nail that type of melody - quite popular in a lot of Japanese pop and rock - that is simultaneously fun and slightly melancholic. It’s something I find it hard to put my finger on but I love it when I hear it, and in this case it elevates an already strong set of songs to something that bit more emotionally immersive.

HOF – Sweet Billy Pilgrim
1. Candle Book and Bell
2. Just Above Midtown
3. Asking for a Friend
4. Skywriting

First impression: This isn’t very easy to define, in a really positive way - love the sound and the vibes.

Final opinion: You don’t seem to be doing anything by halves in this roulette. It’s either sub-8.0 or it’s a high score, with nothing in between. :lol What a wonderfully creative band this clearly is. These four songs are almost from four completely different genres and they’re all great in their own way. Candle Book and Bell is the second time this round I’m feeling a surprising comparison to Thrice’s mellower stuff, but it really does remind me of that a lot - the melody, the emotion, the vocals. Just gorgeous stuff and my favourite here. But the rest is great too. Midtown is upbeat indie pop with a mellow edge, very elegant and engaging. Asking for a Friend is acoustic folk, very stripped back and heartfelt and with some really lovely vocal harmonies between the two singers. And Skywriting is sort of indie again, but with a synthpop/new wave vibe that’s pretty cool, and again it has strong hooks and an emotional undercurrent.

King – A.C.T
1. Intro
2. The End
3. Checked Out
4. A Truly Gifted Man

First impression: I thought at first this might not hit my proggy interests, but it has a charming theatricality that’s really rather enjoyable.

Final opinion: This is definitely one of those sleeper hits. Everything scoring above it I loved on first listen and ended up roughly where I thought they might. This crept up on me in the best possible way. The one album of theirs I’ve heard before was ok, but nothing special. This starts enjoyable, a slight sense of rock opera theatrics but generally pretty straightforward upbeat prog with some decent hooks and a nice guitar/keys tradeoff solo in the middle of The End. I initially thought it was probably more of the same. But then it switches to the sort of dark quirkiness that you know I’m a sucker for. I wasn’t expecting it on that first listen and it let me know I was in for more of a ride than I had anticipated. Checked Out doesn’t have anything quite that quirky, but the whole song is just a big ball of groovy theatricality, a ton of fun with really catchy hooks. This is the one I keep getting stuck in my head. And then Gifted Man shifts gears with more of a Spock’s Beard rock opera vibe and again it just works great.

Elite – Wheel
1. Vultures
2. Impervious
3. Movement
4. Blood Drinker

First impression: This does Tool better than Tool does Tool - seems like a sweet spot in where our tastes align.

Final opinion: Hell yeah this is great. Tool was obviously a very influential band, but even then the influence here is pretty in your face. :lol I love one Tool album (Lateralus), but the rest I’ve tended to find a bit too esoteric, with a little too much focus on intelligently crafted music and not enough on engaging melody or emotion for my tastes. Other bands influenced by them can be hit and miss too - there are some good ones for sure, but some of the most popular (like Karnivool) have never quite clicked with me. Regardless, these songs strike a much better balance, closer to the side of Tool that I like. Across these four songs, there are various features that might individually get too tiring on their own - the intensity, the moodiness, the metal groove, the rhythmic intricacy - but this is a great selection because those features are all well-balanced and effective in combination, and also held together with some strong hooks, especially in the first two songs.

seneca – Gregory Alan Isakov
1. The Stable Song
2. Light Year
3. If I Go, I'm Goin
4. That Sea, The Gambler

First impression: This hits all the right notes as far as this genre is concerned - delicate, emotional and gorgeous.

Final opinion: I like different types of folk music, but the side I’m drawn to most easily is definitely the emotive and/or melancholic stuff that’s rich in both melody and harmony. In some ways, this especially applies to the more American country side of the genre. These songs really are just gorgeous. They’re not all sorrowful, but even the more tonally bright moments are incredibly delicate and heartfelt, sometimes with a slight bittersweet edge. The instrumentation is quite sparse, but very elegant and absolutely fitting of the emotional vibe. The music is really quite lovely throughout. And his voice also adds to the whole effect - it’s the only aspect of this that sounds remotely “indie” (he seems to get described as indie/folk but the music is pure folk really, at least in these songs) and his delivery is all very sincere. Love it.

Score: 8.5

Evermind – Birdy
1. The Witching Hour - Intro
2. Voyager
3. Loneliness
4. Silhouette
5. Strange Birds
6. Surrender

First impression: I could just repeat the first half of your first impression from last round. This is lovely.

Final opinion: I have absolutely no idea why you thought this might tank because it’s absolutely my kind of music. So much so that you’ve jumped to second place and now stand the best chance of dethroning Crow at the last minute. The sound and style is in a delicious sweet spot between indie, folk and pop. There’s something about the way most of it sounds incredibly mellow but has a modest beat that still gets me gently dancing along when I listen that’s simultaneously relaxing and invigorating. Her voice is lovely - similar to the Gregory Alan Isakov songs that Nelson sent me, she has a soft but sincere delivery that’s very compelling. And then to really cap it off, the music itself is just beautiful and full of feeling. Voyager especially encapsulates all these qualities wonderfully, and really was a perfect way to start this selection. But really, all the songs are gorgeous, and even the odd moment where the energy picks up - like the second half of Silhouette and most of Strange Birds which has a very ethereal quality to it - is equally fantastic.

Score: 8.7

Puppies – Mandroid Echostar
1. Ancient Arrows
2. Haunted Vows
3. To the Wolves
4. Citadels

First impression: You may be on a bit of a roll - this sits somewhere between two other bands and seems to have nice qualities from both.

Final opinion: How has nobody ever sent me this band before? I mean, I know I like a lot of different styles, but when it comes to prog metal this definitely comes under the ariich-core banner. It’s the side of the genre that shares elements with post-hardcore and melodic metalcore - the fast, tight riffing, the big modern-style vocals, the anthemic and at times almost poppy choruses. The closest comparator is definitely Protest the Hero, who I love, and this seems to cover the same qualities that attract me to them. It’s slick, crunchy, dramatic and with a ton of great hooks. There is also a bit more of a cheesy theatrical element that I think probably led to your comparison to Coheed, although actually I’m finding it closer to Thank You Scientist (just without the jazz), who I also love. Throw a horn section into Haunted Vows especially and it could easily have been on Maps of Non-Existent Places. I think the vocals are part of it, as their style is so similar. Anyway, these songs are just so great and I can’t wait to hear the album. After two round winners in a row, you’ve jumped from 14th place in round 4 to 3rd in round 6, and suddenly given yourself a chance at one of the greatest upsets in roulette history. :lol

Score: 8.8

Scores after Round 6:

1. Crow     = 8.8 + 8.4 + 8.6 + 8.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 = 50.5
 2. Evermind = 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.2 + 8.7 = 50.2
 3. Puppies  = 7.9 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 7.8 + 9.0 + 8.8 = 50.1
 4. Litho    = 8.3 + 7.8 + 8.4 + 8.4 + 8.8 + 8.3 = 50.0
 4. TAC      = 8.2 + 8.7 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 = 50.0
 6. nick_z   = 8.2 + 8.5 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.0 = 49.9
 7. wolfking = 8.6 + 8.1 + 8.4 + 8.5 + 8.4 + 7.8 = 49.8
 8. Luoto    = 8.3 + 8.7 + 8.0 + 8.6 + 8.2 + 7.9 = 49.7
 9. Buddy    = 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.3 + 8.0 + 8.1 = 49.4
10. Glasser  = 8.1 + 8.1 + 8.8 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.9 = 49.3
11. soupy    = 8.4 + 7.9 + 8.2 + 8.4 + 8.3 + 8.0 = 49.2
11. jingle   = 8.2 + 7.7 + 8.6 + 8.4 + 8.1 + 8.2 = 49.2
13. romdrums = 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.0 + 8.3 + 8.4 + 8.2 = 49.1
13. seneca   = 7.6 + 8.3 + 7.8 + 8.6 + 8.3 + 8.5 = 49.1
15. Sacul    = 8.3 + 8.9 + 8.0 + 7.8 + 7.9 + 8.1 = 49.0
16. lonestar = 7.8 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 8.4 = 48.9
17. luke     = 8.2 + 7.9 + 8.2 + 7.9 + 8.5 + 7.8 = 48.5
18. Reaper   = 7.6 + 8.1 + 7.7 + 8.0 + 8.2 + 8.2 = 47.8
19. Vmadera  = 8.0 + 8.0 + 7.3 + 8.3 + 7.9 + 8.2 = 47.7
19. HOF      = 7.5 + 7.9 + 8.7 + 7.7 + 7.5 + 8.4 = 47.7
21. King     = 7.3 + 8.2 + 8.2 + 7.8 + 7.7 + 8.4 = 47.6
22. Stadler  = 7.9 + 8.4 + 7.9 + 7.4 + 8.0 + 7.4 = 47.0
23. Elite    = 7.8 + 8.0 + 7.5 + 7.2 + 7.9 + 8.4 = 46.8
24. faizoff  = 7.2 + 8.2 + 8.3 + 7.0 + 8.1 + 7.7 = 46.5

Click the graphs to enlarge.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 03:48:49 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2192 on: July 02, 2023, 03:46:08 PM »
Apart from Crow, it's all change at the top. Rare missteps from the previous 3 main challengers, but a strong surge from 3 others.

Any of the top 8 have a realistic chance of taking this, especially in the EP round with the extra points available for flow. But it's still Crow's to lose unless something special comes along.

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2193 on: July 02, 2023, 03:46:48 PM »
Just need that 8.5...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2194 on: July 02, 2023, 03:47:57 PM »
Thise are some tight standings.

Congratulations Crow!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2195 on: July 02, 2023, 03:49:25 PM »
Can't deny the awesomeness of Mandroid Echostar though... Great album.

Offline HOF

« Reply #2196 on: July 02, 2023, 03:57:16 PM »
Quote from: ariich link=topic=58332.msg3008685#msg3008685 date=
[b
HOF – Sweet Billy Pilgrim[/b]
1. Candle Book and Bell
2. Just Above Midtown
3. Asking for a Friend
4. Skywriting

First impression: This isn’t very easy to define, in a really positive way - love the sound and the vibes.

Final opinion: You don’t seem to be doing anything by halves in this roulette. It’s either sub-8.0 or it’s a high score, with nothing in between. :lol What a wonderfully creative band this clearly is. These four songs are almost from four completely different genres and they’re all great in their own way. Candle Book and Bell is the second time this round I’m feeling a surprising comparison to Thrice’s mellower stuff, but it really does remind me of that a lot - the melody, the emotion, the vocals. Just gorgeous stuff and my favourite here. But the rest is great too. Midtown is upbeat indie pop with a mellow edge, very elegant and engaging. Asking for a Friend is acoustic folk, very stripped back and heartfelt and with some really lovely vocal harmonies between the two singers. And Skywriting is sort of indie again, but with a synthpop/new wave vibe that’s pretty cool, and again it has strong hooks and an emotional undercurrent.

Awesome! This band is so hard to describe, but there really is something for just about everyone to like with them. Their diversity is really amazing. Definitely check out the Motorcade Amnesiacs album, which pretty much hits on every aspect you mentioned here, and is one of the best albums of the past 10 years. Last year’s Somapolis is also really great. An obscure band that really has become one of my favorite active bands and deserves more of a following.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2197 on: July 02, 2023, 03:57:45 PM »
By the way, I haven't forgotten about the optional bonus round where you send me a song and it gets rated and reviewed by my 5-year-old son. I need to go to bed soon so I'll post about that tomorrow, but it should be a good bit of fun while the EP round runs on as it'll inevitably take a bit longer for this final round!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2198 on: July 02, 2023, 04:04:05 PM »
if it pleases you to know, the other four songs on the album are all... quite a bit different from the one i sent  :lol
not like, all SUPER super different - one of them is like, reminds me of the latest so hideous album, another of the brutal sludge metal train loved sending (except i like this one for some reason?) and one track's about as close as anything comes to this one but still quite a bit different in its own right  :lol it's a hell of an album and i'll take that score, sure

i think my EP is gonna do well (i love it) but i am not super comfortable with a measly 0.3 lead right now  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2199 on: July 02, 2023, 04:11:23 PM »
By the way, I haven't forgotten about the optional bonus round where you send me a song and it gets rated and reviewed by my 5-year-old son. I need to go to bed soon so I'll post about that tomorrow, but it should be a good bit of fun while the EP round runs on as it'll inevitably take a bit longer for this final round!

Now there's a round that Luke can win. ;D

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2200 on: July 02, 2023, 04:16:35 PM »

There will be a length limit so he won't be able to send King Gizzard. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2201 on: July 02, 2023, 04:32:23 PM »

Yes, some say I have the taste, dress sense and demeanour of a 5 year old. This will be a cake walk.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2202 on: July 02, 2023, 04:32:30 PM »
MEAN ROBOT GO BBBLLLEEEEEGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!
10/10!!!

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2203 on: July 02, 2023, 04:34:40 PM »
How the hell are we on the EP round already :lol  I’d say this has snuck up on me but not sure I’ll get away with that. I’ve got a real busy day tomorrow but hopefully I’ll be able to put some time into the EP by the evening.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2204 on: July 02, 2023, 04:36:25 PM »
How the hell are we on the EP round already :lol  I’d say this has snuck up on me but not sure I’ll get away with that.
:lol

I mean, I only have 7 rounds and I'm incredibly efficient. :P

I be am boner inducing.