Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91851 times)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 6 first impressions
« Reply #2100 on: June 29, 2023, 02:04:39 PM »
Hope it's 21 instead of 12 then.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2101 on: June 29, 2023, 02:10:46 PM »
Then I have good news!

And finally, it's time for...

Round 6 first impressions

[jingle – Sass Jordan] 1.Not sure why you didn’t just send this in the lighter rounds - it’s pretty straightforward but very nice.

[lonestar – TRiDENT] 2.Sometimes, great energy and hooks are all you really need.

[HOF – Sweet Billy Pilgrim] 3. This isn’t very easy to define, in a really positive way - love the sound and the vibes.

[faizoff – Run The Jewels] 4. Not entirely aligned to my tastes when it comes to this genre, but there’s a cool mix of groove and tension to it.

[Litho – Autumn] 5. This sounded up my alley - punchy, emotive and slick, with great vocals especially in the choruses.

[Evermind – Birdy] 6. I could just repeat the first half of your first impression from last round. This is lovely.

[King – A.C.T] 7. I thought at first this might not hit my proggy interests, but it has a charming theatricality that’s really rather enjoyable.

[Vmadera – Volbeat] 8. Verses were pretty much what I expected from this band, but the choruses were better - great hooks and surprising richness.

[TAC – Hwaino] 9. The heavy side was sometimes a little rough around the edges, but the atmospheric side was gorgeous and definitely compensates, although by how much remains to be seen.

10. I don’t often go for a production style this “indie”, but some of this reminded me of another artist I like that bucks that trend.

11. This isn't blowing me away so far - a little “of its time” perhaps - but it’s moody and melodic and pretty engaging.

12. Sounds solid and chunky but I’m not sure it's entirely what I'm looking for in this style - then again I’ve thought that before and made myself look silly, so who knows.

[Puppies – Mandroid Echostar] 13. You may be on a bit of a roll - this sits somewhere between two other bands and seems to have nice qualities from both.

[Elite – Wheel] 14. This does Tool better than Tool does Tool - seems like a sweet spot in where our tastes align.

[Stadler – Aerosmith] 15. Not sure this is a huge departure from my expectations, but the songs are enjoyable enough and there’s some nice variety.

[romdrums – Stabbing Westward] 16. The sound was cool for all of this, but I was definitely more attracted to the strong melodies and passionate delivery of the more recent material.

[soupy – dEUS] 17. This had a cool indie-ish sound to it, wasn’t sure all of the music quite matched up but the last track sounded great.

[Reaper – Black Map] 18. Doesn't quite capture the magic of the obvious comparator, but it’s still some really nice, proggy alternative rock.

19. Sounded solid enough but not much stood out really other than the fact that these guys seem to like hammond organ.

[Crow – Victory Over the Sun] 20. There’s one very uncomfortable aspect that I don’t THINK will be too overbearing but at this point I genuinely have no idea where this might fall in the 6.5-8.5 range.

[Buddy – Cave In] 21. This seemed more interesting that I might have expected - nice balance of groove and melody.

[luke – The Dirty Nil] 22. This sounded fun - somewhat similar to your last round, if not as memorable.

[Luoto – Foscor] 23. The gloomy sound is enticing, but a lot of the music is melodically quite unusual and I’m not yet sure what to make of it.

[seneca – Gregory Alan Isakov] 24. This hits all the right notes as far as this genre is concerned - delicate, emotional and gorgeous.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2102 on: June 29, 2023, 02:17:06 PM »
To be honest, most bands that do Tool do Tool better than Tool :biggrin:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2103 on: June 29, 2023, 02:20:30 PM »
:lol

In fairness I love Lateralus, but everything else I've found quite good at best.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2104 on: June 29, 2023, 02:26:38 PM »
Everybody wants #5.  Is that a sign of a too generic impression? 
Well congrats on winning that particular competition!

Hmm, well generic and positive is still good.   :D

Honestly Wheel is one of very few that comes close for me. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2105 on: June 29, 2023, 02:34:21 PM »
I'm hoping for 11 at this point.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2106 on: June 29, 2023, 02:55:13 PM »
Uh oh…what’s left is not super exciting ;)

11?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2107 on: June 29, 2023, 03:03:28 PM »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2108 on: June 29, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
Just popping in to show appreciation for Birdy. The whole Young Heart album is fantastic.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2109 on: June 29, 2023, 03:06:50 PM »
It's a ghost sighting!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2110 on: June 29, 2023, 03:08:24 PM »
:dangerwillrobinson:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2111 on: June 29, 2023, 03:54:41 PM »
Just popping in to show appreciation for Birdy. The whole Young Heart album is fantastic.
Shadow, great to see you! Glasser has been covering all the gif action without you. :neverusethis:

I was actually thinking just yesterday about your epic comeback in my v6 roulette.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2112 on: June 29, 2023, 03:55:26 PM »
Anyway here are the completed impressions. Comparisons might be tomorrow or if not then Saturday!

Round 6 first impressions

[jingle – Sass Jordan] 1.Not sure why you didn’t just send this in the lighter rounds - it’s pretty straightforward but very nice.

[lonestar – TRiDENT] 2.Sometimes, great energy and hooks are all you really need.

[HOF – Sweet Billy Pilgrim] 3. This isn’t very easy to define, in a really positive way - love the sound and the vibes.

[faizoff – Run The Jewels] 4. Not entirely aligned to my tastes when it comes to this genre, but there’s a cool mix of groove and tension to it.

[Litho – Autumn] 5. This sounded up my alley - punchy, emotive and slick, with great vocals especially in the choruses.

[Evermind – Birdy] 6. I could just repeat the first half of your first impression from last round. This is lovely.

[King – A.C.T] 7. I thought at first this might not hit my proggy interests, but it has a charming theatricality that’s really rather enjoyable.

[Vmadera – Volbeat] 8. Verses were pretty much what I expected from this band, but the choruses were better - great hooks and surprising richness.

[TAC – Hwaino] 9. The heavy side was sometimes a little rough around the edges, but the atmospheric side was gorgeous and definitely compensates, although by how much remains to be seen.

[Sacul – The Microphones] 10. I don’t often go for a production style this “indie”, but some of this reminded me of another artist I like that bucks that trend.

[nick_z – Saviour Machine] 11. This isn't blowing me away so far - a little “of its time” perhaps - but it’s moody and melodic and pretty engaging.

[wolfking – Kreator] 12. Sounds solid and chunky but I’m not sure it's entirely what I'm looking for in this style - then again I’ve thought that before and made myself look silly, so who knows.

[Puppies – Mandroid Echostar] 13. You may be on a bit of a roll - this sits somewhere between two other bands and seems to have nice qualities from both.

[Elite – Wheel] 14. This does Tool better than Tool does Tool - seems like a sweet spot in where our tastes align.

[Stadler – Aerosmith] 15. Not sure this is a huge departure from my expectations, but the songs are enjoyable enough and there’s some nice variety.

[romdrums – Stabbing Westward] 16. The sound was cool for all of this, but I was definitely more attracted to the strong melodies and passionate delivery of the more recent material.

[soupy – dEUS] 17. This had a cool indie-ish sound to it, wasn’t sure all of the music quite matched up but the last track sounded great.

[Reaper – Black Map] 18. Doesn't quite capture the magic of the obvious comparator, but it’s still some really nice, proggy alternative rock.

[Glasser – Bastian Per] 19. Sounded solid enough but not much stood out really other than the fact that these guys seem to like hammond organ.

[Crow – Victory Over the Sun] 20. There’s one very uncomfortable aspect that I don’t THINK will be too overbearing but at this point I genuinely have no idea where this might fall in the 6.5-8.5 range.

[Buddy – Cave In] 21. This seemed more interesting that I might have expected - nice balance of groove and melody.

[luke – The Dirty Nil] 22. This sounded fun - somewhat similar to your last round, if not as memorable.

[Luoto – Foscor] 23. The gloomy sound is enticing, but a lot of the music is melodically quite unusual and I’m not yet sure what to make of it.

[seneca – Gregory Alan Isakov] 24. This hits all the right notes as far as this genre is concerned - delicate, emotional and gorgeous.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2113 on: June 29, 2023, 04:18:44 PM »
19? Hammond Organ? How about this organ?   :) :facepalm:

« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 10:41:18 PM by Glasser »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2114 on: June 29, 2023, 04:20:34 PM »
19? Hammond Organ? How about this organ?   :facepalm:

Tom...you left your camera on again.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2115 on: June 29, 2023, 04:21:24 PM »
I hate when that happens!  :lol

Edit: Tim, I also noticed its time to shave my hands again.  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2116 on: June 29, 2023, 04:37:30 PM »
Well, I didn't want to come right out and say it.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2117 on: June 29, 2023, 05:05:26 PM »
Anyway here are the completed impressions. Comparisons might be tomorrow or if not then Saturday!

[nick_z – Saviour Machine] 11. This isn't blowing me away so far - a little “of its time” perhaps - but it’s moody and melodic and pretty engaging.

Not great...not terrible  ;)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2118 on: June 29, 2023, 06:13:03 PM »
Also: EP sent!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2119 on: June 29, 2023, 07:38:48 PM »
Shadow, great to see you! Glasser has been covering all the gif action without you. :neverusethis:

I was actually thinking just yesterday about your epic comeback in my v6 roulette.

Hey man, good to see you too. That was probably closest I've ever been to winning a roulette, but I later found out that there wasn't a cash prize so I guess it's ok.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2120 on: June 29, 2023, 07:41:08 PM »

Hey man, good to see you too. That was probably closest I've ever been to winning a roulette, but I later found out that there wasn't a cash prize so I guess it's ok.
Speaking of prizes. Ariich, if I win this thing I'm expecting you to deliver my prize to me when I'm in Scotland in October. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2121 on: June 29, 2023, 07:42:08 PM »

You were .5 away from winning my V.2.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #2122 on: June 29, 2023, 07:46:46 PM »
Oh yeah, I did pretty well in that one too, much to the general bafflement of everyone, myself included.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2123 on: June 29, 2023, 07:51:46 PM »
Oh yeah, I did pretty well in that one too, much to the general bafflement of everyone, myself included.

Yeah, if it wasn't for the Beach House song..

And you sent the Steam Powered Giraffes. I'm still WTF at that.. :lol but I thought it was great.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2124 on: June 29, 2023, 08:46:34 PM »

:tup
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2125 on: June 30, 2023, 01:37:00 AM »
Well like I said I don't think it'll be overbearing (on this song at least) but I'm not sure yet and I definitely found it immediately noticeable.
okay wait no you're literally just wrong
https://votsband.bandcamp.com/album/dance-you-monster-to-my-soft-song
she straight up says she didn't use any microtonal tunings for this one on the bandcamp page so i'm not insane for not hearing it you're literally just incorrect :lol
idk why RYM listed microtonal under the tags but RYM is not an authority

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2126 on: June 30, 2023, 02:22:10 AM »
Weird, in that case there are a couple of sections that just sound out of tune, which isn't necessarily any better. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2127 on: June 30, 2023, 03:00:50 AM »
nah that's just the fun parts  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2128 on: June 30, 2023, 03:31:56 AM »
nah that's just the fun parts  :corn

:lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 6 comparisons
« Reply #2129 on: June 30, 2023, 03:52:30 PM »
Round 6 comparisons
Comparisons to the previous round, indicative and subject to change.
As ever, ups and downs show only direction, not scale. Could be 0.1, could be 1.0.

Puppies v
Litho v
nick_z v
luke v
wolfking v
romdrums v
TAC =
soupy v
seneca ^
lonestar ^
Crow =
Evermind ^
Luoto v
Glasser v
Reaper =
jingle ^
faizoff v
Buddy ^
Stadler v
Sacul ^
Vmadera ^
Elite ^
King ^
HOF ^

A handful of these feel like they could still move a fair bit on final listens!

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2130 on: June 30, 2023, 03:57:09 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2131 on: June 30, 2023, 03:57:54 PM »
she can't keep getting away with it  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2132 on: June 30, 2023, 03:59:39 PM »
And I just keep climbing...good thing I saved my best band for the EP round ;)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2133 on: June 30, 2023, 04:08:47 PM »
she can't keep getting away with it  :lol
Or can she?

And I just keep climbing...good thing I saved my best band for the EP round ;)
Yeah I can't work out if it's total chance or if you've just been saving your better stuff for later rounds.

On the flipside, Buddy managed to accidentally get a ^ finally. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2134 on: June 30, 2023, 04:09:30 PM »
Way to go Buddy!!