Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91819 times)

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 5 first impressions
« Reply #1680 on: June 20, 2023, 06:45:30 AM »
3 I suppose?
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1681 on: June 20, 2023, 08:38:02 AM »
Tim's is the only one that was borderline.

Tim is borderline many things, you’ll have to narrow it down  :lol

Besides, Ariich said mine was pretty.

So you're saying that Heavy music can't be "pretty"?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1682 on: June 20, 2023, 08:45:25 AM »
Just perused thru the playlist, and man alive.  @ Tim/Victor/Kade... obvious penalty on the play that the ref kindly overlooked.  Holy crap - that's some impressive level cheating.   :tup

Huh?

This I assume…

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1683 on: June 20, 2023, 09:46:19 AM »
17, I think.  Maybe 1.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1684 on: June 20, 2023, 01:40:59 PM »
3 I suppose?
17, I think.
Yes and yes.

Quote for new page:

Round 5 first impressions

1. I hear a lot of more recent acts in this, which leads to me to think this artist may have been more influential than I had previously appreciated.

[wolfking – Blessed By A Broken Heart] 2. Hair metal with metalcore vocals is a bit… actually you know what, it's a ton of fun.

[Luoto – Sisare] 3. Really loving the warm melancholy mood and some lovely playing in this.

[King – Joe Jackson] 4. The sound feels somewhat dated and the vocal style isn’t my favourite, but the music seems nice enough, with a slightly punky energy in some songs, to make it enjoyable anyway.

[HOF – The Clientele] 5. This was rather calming and relaxing - not much jumped out at me melodically, but it has a nice sound and a range of styles and tones.

[Buddy – Della Zyr] 6. This isn’t a style that tends to excite me, but this sounds pretty - I don’t really have a sense yet of how much I’ll end up liking it.

[lonestar – Atarashii Gakko!] 7. Started more understated and less off-the-wall than I expected, but gets more varied as it goes - it’s a lot of fun, and has some groove and nice hooks.

[Puppies – Kiss Kiss] 8. The dark theatricality to this was something I wasn’t particularly expecting and it works great - nice emotionality and strong hooks.

9. It's very odd to be sent an artist that I myself have sent in other roulettes.

[luke – Billy Talent] 10. This somewhat reminds me of my university days but funnily enough I’m more into this style than at any other point since then.

11. This was very nice stuff but I did still feel, at times, like I wanted to know where the vocals had gone.

[Sacul – George Clanton] 12. So that genre I’ve seen some people banging on about lately, this is what it sounds like. It’s pretty cool.

[Evermind – Galahad] 13. Not sure what you were worried about, this is definitely up my alley - not the strongest production maybe but it’s still punchy and dramatic.

[Crow – Black Country, New Road] 14. This was elegant and attractive, though I didn’t love all the vocals and the songs maybe don’t develop as much as I might have liked.

[nick_z – Kent] 15. The style is not dissimilar to other bands from that genre and era, but the music and sound are really lush and rich and had me hooked.

[jingle – Robert Plant] 16. This was a nice surprise - more varied than I expected and probably some of the most interesting stuff I’ve heard from this artist.

[romdrums – Imogen Heap] 17. Rich, creative, varied and really interesting - even the simpler-sounding, more accessible songs have a lot going on in the instrumentation.

[faizoff – Coldplay] 18. I’m not sure this band will ever excite me, but there are some lovely vibes and nice surprises here.

19. It's that guitar noodling again! This is nice though, has a sort of mellow elegance to it.

[soupy – The Pierces] 20. This seems like incredibly attractive pop music with some folk rock influences - chance it could be a bit too safe but then the warmth and the melodies really are very nice.

[Glasser – Mr. Reality] 21. Slightly middle of the road perhaps? But nice melodies and especially nice vocal harmonising.

22. These are basically anthemic pop songs with more distorted guitars, and I'm here for it.

[TAC – Dark The Suns] 23. This is surely the least light submission in either of the light rounds, but I’ll allow because it is indeed pretty and energetic, which incidentally are also what I’m finding attractive about it.

[Litho – Haerts] 24. I love the sound of this - somewhat reminiscent of other things I like, with the poppy style contrasting nicely with some gorgeous melancholic hooks.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 11:40:11 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1685 on: June 20, 2023, 01:58:10 PM »
19. It's that guitar noodling again! This is nice though, has a sort of mellow elegance to it.

:)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1686 on: June 20, 2023, 02:02:39 PM »
12?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1687 on: June 20, 2023, 02:18:15 PM »
Mmmhh…so maybe I am 22?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1688 on: June 20, 2023, 02:54:59 PM »

:)
Mmmhh…so maybe I am 22?
Actually no to both.

12?
Yep!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1689 on: June 20, 2023, 03:13:55 PM »
I’m going to try with 10, mostly by process of elimination  ;)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1690 on: June 20, 2023, 03:42:04 PM »
Still no. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1691 on: June 20, 2023, 03:43:58 PM »
Still no. :lol

You are enjoying this, aren't you?   :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1692 on: June 20, 2023, 03:44:30 PM »
How do people not know a description of their own song??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1693 on: June 20, 2023, 03:47:11 PM »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1694 on: June 20, 2023, 03:48:52 PM »

To be fair, my first guess wasn’t too far off, by Rich’s own admission ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1695 on: June 20, 2023, 03:50:16 PM »

To be fair, I wasn't addressing that to you.

Maybe.. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1696 on: June 20, 2023, 03:54:25 PM »

To be fair, I wasn't addressing that to you.

Maybe.. :lol

:lol you weren’t wrong anyway

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1697 on: June 20, 2023, 03:55:51 PM »
10?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1698 on: June 20, 2023, 04:50:56 PM »
Just perused thru the playlist, and man alive.  @ Tim/Victor/Kade... obvious penalty on the play that the ref kindly overlooked.  Holy crap - that's some impressive level cheating.   :tup

Huh?

This I assume…

:metal :metal :metal
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1699 on: June 20, 2023, 05:11:49 PM »
 :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1700 on: June 20, 2023, 06:48:50 PM »
Based on my first impression I'm expecting an 11/10 :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1701 on: June 20, 2023, 11:40:04 PM »

I’m going to try 15
3rd time lucky!

10?
:tup

Also Kade's submission isn't particularly heavy, especially compared with his other ones but also just in general. Like I said in my first impressions, the vocals are a bit metalcorey, but otherwise it's basically modernised hair metal.

Anyway, this round is shaping up to probably have a similar score profile to round 2. After the first couple of listens I was thinking "jeez is anything going to get below an 8?" but yeah a few haven't held their interest all that well. Still all really good stuff though!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1702 on: June 20, 2023, 11:54:35 PM »

Anyway, this round is shaping up to probably have a similar score profile to round 2. After the first couple of listens I was thinking "jeez is anything going to get below an 8?" but yeah a few haven't held their interest all that well. Still all really good stuff though!
Seems everyone is bringing their A game for you in this roulette. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1703 on: June 21, 2023, 12:10:56 AM »
time for my first flop  :hat

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1704 on: June 21, 2023, 12:43:48 AM »
Tim's is the only one that was borderline.

Tim is borderline many things, you’ll have to narrow it down  :lol

Besides, Ariich said mine was pretty.

You are very pretty on the Permanent Waves cover!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1705 on: June 21, 2023, 02:32:10 AM »

Seems everyone is bringing their A game for you in this roulette. :metal
Roughly on a par with my v6 actually, so basically yes because that was amazing too. Average score so far is slightly lower than in v6 overall but that had an uptick in the last two rounds (round 7 was crazy, the lowest score was 7.9). Based on indicative scores so far, rounds 1-5 are averaging pretty much identical to rounds 1-5 from v6.

Anyway here are the completed first impressions. Comparisons will be later today once I've finished all my fourth listens.

Round 5 first impressions

[Stadler – Fleetwood Mac] 1. I hear a lot of more recent acts in this, which leads to me to think this artist may have been more influential than I had previously appreciated.

[wolfking – Blessed By A Broken Heart] 2. Hair metal with metalcore vocals is a bit… actually you know what, it's a ton of fun.

[Luoto – Sisare] 3. Really loving the warm melancholy mood and some lovely playing in this.

[King – Joe Jackson] 4. The sound feels somewhat dated and the vocal style isn’t my favourite, but the music seems nice enough, with a slightly punky energy in some songs, to make it enjoyable anyway.

[HOF – The Clientele] 5. This was rather calming and relaxing - not much jumped out at me melodically, but it has a nice sound and a range of styles and tones.

[Buddy – Della Zyr] 6. This isn’t a style that tends to excite me, but this sounds pretty - I don’t really have a sense yet of how much I’ll end up liking it.

[lonestar – Atarashii Gakko!] 7. Started more understated and less off-the-wall than I expected, but gets more varied as it goes - it’s a lot of fun, and has some groove and nice hooks.

[Puppies – Kiss Kiss] 8. The dark theatricality to this was something I wasn’t particularly expecting and it works great - nice emotionality and strong hooks.

[Reaper – KOAN Sound] 9. It's very odd to be sent an artist that I myself have sent in other roulettes.

[luke – Billy Talent] 10. This somewhat reminds me of my university days but funnily enough I’m more into this style than at any other point since then.

[Vmadera – Angel Vivaldi] 11. This was very nice stuff but I did still feel, at times, like I wanted to know where the vocals had gone.

[Sacul – George Clanton] 12. So that genre I’ve seen some people banging on about lately, this is what it sounds like. It’s pretty cool.

[Evermind – Galahad] 13. Not sure what you were worried about, this is definitely up my alley - not the strongest production maybe but it’s still punchy and dramatic.

[Crow – Black Country, New Road] 14. This was elegant and attractive, though I didn’t love all the vocals and the songs maybe don’t develop as much as I might have liked.

[nick_z – Kent] 15. The style is not dissimilar to other bands from that genre and era, but the music and sound are really lush and rich and had me hooked.

[jingle – Robert Plant] 16. This was a nice surprise - more varied than I expected and probably some of the most interesting stuff I’ve heard from this artist.

[romdrums – Imogen Heap] 17. Rich, creative, varied and really interesting - even the simpler-sounding, more accessible songs have a lot going on in the instrumentation.

[faizoff – Coldplay] 18. I’m not sure this band will ever excite me, but there are some lovely vibes and nice surprises here.

[Elite – Kurt Rosenwinkel] 19. It's that guitar noodling again! This is nice though, has a sort of mellow elegance to it.

[soupy – The Pierces] 20. This seems like incredibly attractive pop music with some folk rock influences - chance it could be a bit too safe but then the warmth and the melodies really are very nice.

[Glasser – Mr. Reality] 21. Slightly middle of the road perhaps? But nice melodies and especially nice vocal harmonising.

[seneca – Unleash the Archers] 22. These are basically anthemic pop songs with more distorted guitars, and I'm here for it.

[TAC – Dark The Suns] 23. This is surely the least light submission in either of the light rounds, but I’ll allow because it is indeed pretty and energetic, which incidentally are also what I’m finding attractive about it.

[Litho – Haerts] 24. I love the sound of this - somewhat reminiscent of other things I like, with the poppy style contrasting nicely with some gorgeous melancholic hooks.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1706 on: June 21, 2023, 02:37:26 AM »
c'mon, mama needs a new ^

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1707 on: June 21, 2023, 03:08:32 AM »
[luke – Billy Talent] 10.

Giving out scores early? I’ll take it.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1708 on: June 21, 2023, 04:53:34 AM »

Woohoo!!!  Looking forward to my 7.7 and dropping out of the Top 10 again.   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1709 on: June 21, 2023, 06:22:05 AM »
Comparisons will be later today once I've finished all my fourth listens.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 5 comparisons
« Reply #1710 on: June 21, 2023, 09:47:01 AM »
Round 5 comparisons
Comparisons to the previous round, indicative and subject to change.
As ever, ups and downs show only direction, not scale. Could be 0.1, could be 1.0.

Luoto v
seneca v
wolfking v
Evermind v
jingle v
Litho ^
nick_z ^
soupy v
Buddy v
Crow v
romdrums ^
Vmadera v
Glasser =
lonestar ^
TAC ^
Reaper ^
luke ^
King v
Puppies ^
Sacul ^
HOF v
Stadler ^
Elite ^
faizoff ^

Things starting to heat up...

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1711 on: June 21, 2023, 09:48:20 AM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1712 on: June 21, 2023, 09:52:45 AM »

Woohoo!!!  Looking forward to my 7.7 and dropping out of the Top 10 again.   :lol
Technically you're top 12 (i.e. exactly top half) after round 4, as there are three of you at joint 10th place.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1713 on: June 21, 2023, 09:54:22 AM »
It just suits HAERTS' sound so well, doesn't it?

Online HOF

« Reply #1714 on: June 21, 2023, 09:54:28 AM »
Oof, down from my heavy submission.