Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91690 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 4 hangman
« Reply #1295 on: June 08, 2023, 11:40:40 AM »
I'm not seeing an obvious candidate for mine, but I'll have a punt at 17 or 18 maybe?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1296 on: June 08, 2023, 11:52:38 AM »
14?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1297 on: June 08, 2023, 11:53:25 AM »
There's more than a few obvious candidates that I can dismiss, but more than a bunch that make me think "maybe?".

I'm going bold ... 17 for Triosphere (seems a few of us are aiming here).  Alternatively, I'll point to 14.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1298 on: June 08, 2023, 11:55:04 AM »
Wolfheart sent by Wolfking?
That was my exact response when he sent it to me. :lol
just wait 'til you see what i got send in round 5 of my roulette  :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 4 first impressions
« Reply #1299 on: June 08, 2023, 12:00:21 PM »
1. Sounds like a really cool mixture of aggressive and epic - elements of the vocals are not normally what I go for, but they seem to work well here.

5. Ferocious yet tonally bright - it's a weird combination that will take some getting used to.

6. I can see the lyrical weight of this, but I was hoping for a little more emotional impact.

10. Didn’t love every aspect of this right away but the instrumentation is unusual for the genre and works great, and each song seems to keep getting better as it goes.

11. Intense, intelligent and interesting - not sure it entirely hits the mark on what I look for in the genre, but the more atmospheric moments sounded good.

12. Sounds like a strong example of the genre and right up my alley, with a great mix of the slower atmospheric side and the faster, more aggressive (yet always melodic) side.

15. Great energy and intensity, and a fun fusion of two quite distinct styles/tones, although it might have been even better if the two were more balanced.

16. Good grief this is pretty relentless, and yet there’s probably just enough sense of melody to make it work.

22. Well, this feels like a pretty big oversight on my part - the limited amount of clean vocals is kind of surprising for how melodic most of the music is, but it’s a great sound anyway.

23. This is emotive in an alt-prog/post-hardcore kind of way, and there's a slight theatricality to some of it that hits the right notes for me.

can pretty easily narrow it down to this set, though i feel like 5 might be the strongest shot in this set?

also: screw the band name Hanabie I keep reading it as "Harambe" and I hate it here

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 4 first impressions
« Reply #1300 on: June 08, 2023, 12:26:52 PM »
also: screw the band name Hanabie I keep reading it as "Harambe" and I hate it here

If it makes it easier the band's name translates to 'Cold Flowers'

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1301 on: June 08, 2023, 12:43:03 PM »
Just happen to be listening to Where Owls Know My Name tonight. I think Evermind has the upper hand in the Rivers of Nihil-off, as he sent The Silent Life  :heart

Also (I know it’s been said already), how are these guys not banned?!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1302 on: June 08, 2023, 12:47:44 PM »

We have either found a loophole in Rich's RYM/banned list, or he sampled them before and he's going to hate both entries. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1303 on: June 08, 2023, 12:49:43 PM »
yeah sending the silent life is the winning move here imo sorry other sender

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1304 on: June 08, 2023, 12:51:02 PM »

We have either found a loophole in Rich's RYM/banned list, or he sampled them before and he's going to hate both entries. :lol

I feel like there was a time where songs from this album were sent in roulettes all the time. With the amount of roulettes Rich has hosted, I’d be astounded if he’s not been sent the band before.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: June 08, 2023, 12:53:10 PM »

I feel like there was a time where songs from this album were sent in roulettes all the time. With the amount of roulettes Rich has hosted, I’d be astounded if he’s not been sent the band before.

I searched all the roulette threads Rich hosted since 2018 for "Nihil" before sending. Train mentioned Rivers of Nihil a couple of times during some thread banter with Crow but no one actually sent them as far as I know.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1306 on: June 08, 2023, 01:04:10 PM »
yeah sending the silent life is the winning move here imo sorry other sender

We'll see. :corn
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1307 on: June 08, 2023, 01:31:19 PM »
Seems I'm doing reasonably well with not being too overly subtle, tons of right guesses there!

Crow, yours is in that list but it's not 5.

All updated with correct guesses so other than Crow, anything else not updated was wrong.

:lol

Alright, you can have some...

Round 4 first impressions

[Litho – Mercenary] 1. Sounds like a really cool mixture of aggressive and epic - elements of the vocals are not normally what I go for, but they seem to work well here.

[faizoff – Meshuggah] 2. I can see the appeal of this more than other things I’ve heard from this band, but I’m still not sure it’s my cup of tea.

[TAC – Atropas] 3. This is rather more metalcore than I’d have expected to receive from you, but it also has aspects of genres I associate more with you and the combination seems to work well.

4. I tend to find this subgenre a little cold, but this might break the mould with some strong choruses.

5. Ferocious yet tonally bright - it's a weird combination that will take some getting used to.

[Stadler – Mother Love Bone] 6. I can see the lyrical weight of this, but I was hoping for a little more emotional impact.

[King – Sevendust] 7. Not a genre I generally expect to receive, and if I had to guess who would send it to me, your name definitely would not come to mind.

[HOF – Marathon] 8. As far as neo-prog goes, this is perhaps not as warm as my favourites but it's more riff-driven and there’s a nice crunchiness to it.

[nick_z – Descend] 9. Not sure I hear that much of the influences this band apparently has, but this seems rather fantastic anyway - dark, epic and huge in sound.

10. Didn’t love every aspect of this right away but the instrumentation is unusual for the genre and works great, and each song seems to keep getting better as it goes.

11. Intense, intelligent and interesting - not sure it entirely hits the mark on what I look for in the genre, but the more atmospheric moments sounded good.

[Luoto – Kalmah] 12. Sounds like a strong example of the genre and right up my alley, with a great mix of the slower atmospheric side and the faster, more aggressive (yet always melodic) side.

13. Not sure what to make of this yet, it's fairly harmonically dense - some of it sounded great while other bits were quite sludgy and lo-fi.

[Glasser – Anima Tempo] 14. Doesn’t really deviate from most djenty prog metal, but it sounds good - tight riffing and playing, and solid hooks.

[lonestar – Hanabie] 15. Great energy and intensity, and a fun fusion of two quite distinct styles/tones, although it might have been even better if the two were more balanced.

[Vmadera – Fit for An Autopsy] 16. Good grief this is pretty relentless, and yet there’s probably just enough sense of melody to make it work.

[jingle – Triosphere] 17. Big sound, huge voice and, especially in the last two songs, strong hooks - this seems like a pretty safe bet.

[soupy – Dynazty] 18. Super catchy, pretty epic and just gravelly enough to give it a bit of hard rock punch.

[Elite – Imperial Triumphant] 19. There’s a pretty good chance this will be too weird for me, but there was something strangely compelling about it.

[Sacul – Have A Nice Life] 20. This is pretty bleak - my first thought was that it might be too cold for my tastes, but it does get more engaging once it picks up.

21. This sounded like solid death metal but nothing particularly stood out - hopefully I’ll get more sense of it with further listens.

[seneca – Dan Swanö] 22. Well, this feels like a pretty big oversight on my part - the limited amount of clean vocals is kind of surprising for how melodic most of the music is, but it’s a great sound anyway.

[Reaper – The Paper Sons] 23. This is emotive in an alt-prog/post-hardcore kind of way, and there's a slight theatricality to some of it that hits the right notes for me.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 02:24:39 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1308 on: June 08, 2023, 01:32:25 PM »

I searched all the roulette threads Rich hosted since 2018 for "Nihil" before sending. Train mentioned Rivers of Nihil a couple of times during some thread banter with Crow but no one actually sent them as far as I know.
Never heard a thing from them before this round, but yes have seen them mentioned a lot. Same applies to a few other submissions this round!

I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1309 on: June 08, 2023, 01:38:16 PM »
7?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1311 on: June 08, 2023, 01:42:24 PM »
Ah, the variety of types of vocals for me are one of their strengths, having a dual lead-vocalist + backing vocal (+ guest) approach on the first two tracks.  There are even more types on other tracks that I couldn't fit. 

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1312 on: June 08, 2023, 01:42:55 PM »
16. Good grief this is pretty relentless, and yet there’s probably just enough sense of melody to make it work.

21. This sounded like solid death metal but nothing particularly stood out - hopefully I’ll get more sense of it with further listens.

Maybe?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1313 on: June 08, 2023, 01:51:04 PM »
15?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1314 on: June 08, 2023, 01:51:29 PM »

Maybe?
Yeah it was 16. :lol

Ah, the variety of types of vocals for me are one of their strengths, having a dual lead-vocalist + backing vocal (+ guest) approach on the first two tracks.  There are even more types on other tracks that I couldn't fit. 
I'll explain what I meant in the full write-up, plus of course things can and often do change with further listens anyway.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1315 on: June 08, 2023, 01:52:20 PM »
6. I can see the lyrical weight of this, but I was hoping for a little more emotional impact.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1317 on: June 08, 2023, 01:54:29 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1318 on: June 08, 2023, 01:55:43 PM »
The word "oversight" is jumping out at me.

22?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1319 on: June 08, 2023, 01:57:49 PM »
I'll explain what I meant in the full write-up, plus of course things can and often do change with further listens anyway.

I'm guessing it's some of the King Diamond/Halford-esque high screams, that's usually what people point out anyway. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1320 on: June 08, 2023, 02:00:16 PM »

I'm guessing it's some of the King Diamond/Halford-esque high screams, that's usually what people point out anyway. 
Correct. :lol

Anyway apparently the impressions this round are really obvious. Stadler and seneca, also correct.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1321 on: June 08, 2023, 02:01:09 PM »
[jingle – Triosphere] 17. Big sound, huge voice and, especially in the last two songs, strong hooks - this seems like a pretty safe bet.

:fistpump:

Though, one time I tried to play it "safe" I got eliminated (Darwin's Radio).

I was kinda on the fence with Onwards, but I love the Gladiator sample - leading into some heavy af riffage.

Heart's Dominion is my go-to song by them.  World's Apart is a 1b option, so I knew I was sending those 2 tracks from the moment I decided on them.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: June 08, 2023, 02:01:39 PM »
Anyway apparently the impressions this round are really obvious. Stadler and seneca, also correct.

Or we're just finally getting better at reading you.  ;)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1323 on: June 08, 2023, 02:03:20 PM »
*waits for Hanabie to earworm their way into Rich's heart*

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1324 on: June 08, 2023, 02:04:46 PM »
7?
:lol Yep.

Hey!  They were great live! :lol  3 times!

Sevendust were great live three times? How many concerts have they played??

More than the 3 times I saw them.  *Waves Tim away*

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1325 on: June 08, 2023, 02:05:45 PM »

Or we're just finally getting better at reading you.  ;)
Well, there's probably an element of that, but I think it's more driven by the fact that since the start of this roulette, I've deliberately tried to make my first impressions a bit more detailed and less vague. That's why they're so much longer than in past roulettes. I figured I don't mind people guessing them straight away, but I wanted to give a slightly fuller impression of my initial reaction this time. I'm quite liking it so may maintain this approach in future too.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1326 on: June 08, 2023, 02:09:11 PM »
Though, one time I tried to play it "safe" I got eliminated (Darwin's Radio).
:lol Funnily enough, that's one of the main examples that prompted me to start explaining what the features of music are that appeal to me and mainly inform my opinions rather than basing things on genres or even the same musicians.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1327 on: June 08, 2023, 02:12:33 PM »
2 or 5?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1328 on: June 08, 2023, 02:20:20 PM »
7?
:lol Yep.

Hey!  They were great live! :lol  3 times!
I have a drumstick at home that I caught at one of their shows. Pretty good band live  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1329 on: June 08, 2023, 02:25:23 PM »
2 or 5?
Indeed it was 2, the clue being that Meshuggah is the only band this round that I've heard before! :lol

I be am boner inducing.