Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91852 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 3 RESULTS!
« Reply #1120 on: June 05, 2023, 09:49:31 AM »
I'm thinking of something to send...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1121 on: June 05, 2023, 09:52:54 AM »
I'll have to think about round 4 a little bit... Maybe it's time to go proper heavy rather than just really depressing  :lol
:lol

You've never sent me something heavy before. You only played in my v5, which was an album roulette (so I needed to have eliminations) and in the five rounds you played in, I'm pretty sure it was all indie and country. I don't really have much idea of what your tastes are like beyond those genres other than how you reacted to some of the stuff I sent in your roulette years ago. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1122 on: June 05, 2023, 10:48:06 AM »
It seems the quality of the songs is higher here than in your previous roulettes, Rich (or you have become more lenient with scoring), as even with three 8+ scores I keep falling behind.

Also wanted to remind everyone that I won't be able to send anything until tomorrow late evening (~25-26 hours from now on).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1123 on: June 05, 2023, 11:38:33 AM »
It seems the quality of the songs is higher here than in your previous roulettes, Rich (or you have become more lenient with scoring), as even with three 8+ scores I keep falling behind.
you are .3 behind second place  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1124 on: June 05, 2023, 12:13:56 PM »

Well placement-wise I'm 9th and it got worse in each round :lol

And a whopping 0.9 behind the first place with almost half the roulette behind us, but that's more due to your performance I guess haha
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1125 on: June 05, 2023, 12:44:18 PM »
Wow! This is fun! I know I won't win this but it's great discovering new things to check out. You all rule!  :heart

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1126 on: June 05, 2023, 12:46:57 PM »
but that's more due to your performance I guess haha

i'm actually surprised i'm doing quite as well as i'm doing since i've decided to soft-challenge myself to only use 2022-2023 music (well, barring the one 2017 gang of youths song i sent, anyways) until the EP round, hah
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 12:53:07 PM by Crow »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1127 on: June 05, 2023, 12:50:06 PM »
Sent.

Wow! This is fun! I know I won't win this but it's great discovering new things to check out. You all rule!  :heart

Welcome to the club! :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1128 on: June 05, 2023, 01:13:01 PM »

It’s a gentleman’s sport for sure. I’m definitely checking out the song you won the round with.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1129 on: June 05, 2023, 01:42:39 PM »
listening to my own EP for funsies, wouldn't say this is the most delicately assembled EP i've ever made but damn is it good  :corn

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1130 on: June 05, 2023, 01:44:38 PM »

It’s a gentleman’s sport for sure. I’m definitely checking out the song you won the round with.

Definitely do! The entire album kicks ass!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1131 on: June 05, 2023, 01:50:11 PM »
Nope, scores are comparable with my last two roulettes. Current average score is a little higher than my v7 (which had an inherent limitation in the first 5 rounds being older music, the first 3 of which had to be 80s or earlier), but slightly lower than my v6.

These multi-song submission roulettes (v6-v8) do have a distinctly higher average score than my album roulettes (v3-v5) did, but that's to be expected when players are picking what they consider to be the strongest set of songs to send.

Well placement-wise I'm 9th and it got worse in each round :lol

And a whopping 0.9 behind the first place with almost half the roulette behind us, but that's more due to your performance I guess haha
I'm with Crow on this. Your placement is simply because 2nd-9th place are all very tightly clumped together. This is exactly why I also make "points away from median" graph in addition to the rank graph, as it shows visually how close together you all are. Apart from Crow that is, who is doing incredibly well while nobody else is being quite as consistent with high scores so far.

:heart

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1132 on: June 05, 2023, 01:51:55 PM »
Apart from Crow that is, who is doing incredibly well

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1133 on: June 05, 2023, 01:54:17 PM »
Apart from Crow that is, who is doing incredibly well

Not even halfway through yet so still plenty of time for you to screw it up. :neverusethis:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1134 on: June 05, 2023, 01:56:31 PM »
while that's true, my round 4-7 submissions are all as good or better than my round 1-3 submissions  :corn
mostly i'm happy i was able to get seven rounds of music without rlly repeating a style or general sound, rounds 1 and 4 are probably closest i've come to that and even then they're quite different to my ears

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1135 on: June 05, 2023, 01:56:55 PM »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1136 on: June 05, 2023, 02:00:28 PM »
I'll have to think about round 4 a little bit... Maybe it's time to go proper heavy rather than just really depressing  :lol
:lol

You've never sent me something heavy before. You only played in my v5, which was an album roulette (so I needed to have eliminations) and in the five rounds you played in, I'm pretty sure it was all indie and country. I don't really have much idea of what your tastes are like beyond those genres other than how you reacted to some of the stuff I sent in your roulette years ago. :lol

Yeah that sounds about right  :lol

Sent!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1137 on: June 05, 2023, 03:41:04 PM »
Resent!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1138 on: June 05, 2023, 04:09:27 PM »
Final opinion: Back on form, and I was spot on with what I thought might happen. I don’t know Autumn, so I can’t make any comparison of style but wouldn’t generally do so anyway - I’m perfectly happy for artists to do something completely different in spin-offs or solo projects. This is really excellent alternative rock, the best from the genre I’ve received so far this roulette. I was digging the general sound straight away, punchy and full of energy - kind of Foo-Fighters-like in that regard, if slightly quirkier at times. As I said in my first impression, I didn’t find the melodic approach that immediate, but having got to know these songs the hooks are strong. And even where they’re slightly weaker, there’s always something else to draw me in. The best example of this is Blank Cheque, where the main themes in the first half are a little unexciting but serve to set up the incredible and emotive bridge section in the second-half which is one of my favourite moments of the round. But really all these songs are great in slightly different ways.

Hmm, 6th, 23rd, 6th again, let's hope next round isn't another 23rd.   :lol   The Foo Fighters comparison is interesting.  Certainly not one I would have thought of, and I'm not sure I can quite see it, but I suppose some of their faster tracks have a certain kind of rhythmically propulsive vibe in common with something like "Monkey Wrench", I suppose.  That whole bridge section of "Blanque Cheque" is probably my second favorite moment of the set, with the one in "Clipper" probably appealing even more to my sensibilities than they would to yours. 

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1139 on: June 05, 2023, 04:26:33 PM »
Sent.  I think my placement this next round will determine how bold I go in round 5.  My long-planned initial idea for it seems increasingly risky, but unless I'm still in the running I might just go with it anyway. 

I can't argue too much with your take on ERR. While I enjoy the second two songs of the batch and the rest of the album a lot, Blooms of Oblivion and Return are the highlights for me as well. If you're at all inclined to check out her other albums, I'd definitely recommend Some Heavy Ocean and Marked for Death. They might give you more of the variety you're looking for.

I love how he described "Blooms of Oblivion" as "more upbeat".   :eek   That is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard, which is why I love it.  Some Heavy Ocean is probably an all-time top 50 album for me though, so I'd second the recommendation on that. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1140 on: June 05, 2023, 04:29:20 PM »
I love how he described "Blooms of Oblivion" as "more upbeat".  That is one of the most depressing songs I've ever heard, which is why I love it. 
I meant musically. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1141 on: June 05, 2023, 04:30:25 PM »
I don't see it as musically upbeat either.  :p   I don't even care about the lyrics, though I can tell they're dark. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1142 on: June 05, 2023, 04:31:33 PM »
Oh and regarding the Foo Fighters comparison, yeah it wasn't about the actual sound itself being similar, more the tempo and mood in quote a few places reminding me a bit of early to mid era Foos. Your description of the rhythmically propulsive vibe is pretty spot on.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1143 on: June 05, 2023, 04:32:55 PM »
I don't see it as musically upbeat either.  :p   I don't even care about the lyrics, though I can tell they're dark. 
Interesting difference in how we're interpreting things in that case!

EDIT: To briefly explain my own reaction, the song is musically very gentle, all in a major key and with quote simple, pretty melodies. The combination of which I definitely associate with a light and upbeat tone.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 04:41:56 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1144 on: June 05, 2023, 05:03:16 PM »
Nice, seems this was a very strong round. I'm carefully thinking of what to send next.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1145 on: June 05, 2023, 05:47:59 PM »
Oh, I don't think I've submitted anything for round 4 yet. Let me get on that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1146 on: June 05, 2023, 06:22:16 PM »
And sent! :corn :metal :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1147 on: June 05, 2023, 07:20:50 PM »
Sent.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1148 on: June 06, 2023, 01:16:49 AM »
I'll send something in the next 12 hours.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1149 on: June 06, 2023, 05:35:14 AM »
Sent!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1150 on: June 06, 2023, 06:28:11 AM »
Sent :corn
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1151 on: June 06, 2023, 07:26:47 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
nick_z – Eneferens
1. Leave
2. This Onward Reach
3. Selene

First impression: Vocals are a little weak and some of the production isn’t that great, but some of the music is so gorgeous that those things hopefully won’t matter too much.

Final opinion: Yep, I was right. It’s not uncommon for one-man-band projects like this to have weaknesses in the sound department. It’s not bad as such, just slightly on the thin side and the vocals are indeed fairly weak for the most part (especially his cleans) but, again, not terrible. But what it lacks in production values, it more than makes up for in atmosphere, a gorgeous harmonic approach and some lovely guitar melodies. The intro track sets this up nicely, starting with delicate and ethereal acoustic guitars and building up to some gorgeous lead guitar lines once the full band kicks in. And really, those are what the two substantive songs cover as well, just with the addition of a mix of black metal vocals and clean ones. Lovely stuff.

Score: 8.3

Sorry for not commenting earlier...the doggie hurt herself - she tore her ACL and she's an older lady, so not sure where we go from here, especially since she just had surgery in Jan to remove a big tumor  :-[ Between that and work it's been a little nuts...

Anyway, glad you enjoyed this  :tup As I mentioned already, I tend to agree with you on one-man bands. This particular record came out of nowhere for me, and it hit the right notes. Some beautiful melodies and moods in here.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1152 on: June 06, 2023, 02:15:39 PM »
Just working out how extreme to go in this round  :metal :metal will be sending soon.

Edit: sent
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:34:13 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1153 on: June 06, 2023, 06:45:43 PM »
Just working out how extreme to go in this round  :metal :metal will be sending soon.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1154 on: June 06, 2023, 07:09:11 PM »

I literally just looked for that on a shirt.  :lol

Will probably buy some off their other merch without hearing a single song.