Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 90707 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 3 first impressions
« Reply #1050 on: June 01, 2023, 02:32:46 PM »
fair  :corn
excited to see a score
think i know what i'm sending for round 6 but a little stumped on round 5 rn, i'll figure it out

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1051 on: June 01, 2023, 02:33:04 PM »
By the way I've added the Spotify playlists to the OP now, in the Results section (along with the links to the various stages of each round).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1052 on: June 01, 2023, 02:48:06 PM »
3?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1053 on: June 01, 2023, 02:58:05 PM »
Am I 17?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1054 on: June 01, 2023, 03:19:04 PM »
3?
Still no. You'll get there eventually, possibly once everything else has been guessed. :lol

Am I 17?
You are!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1055 on: June 01, 2023, 03:19:15 PM »
New page!

So, how about some...

Round 3 first impressions

1. You have a knack for sending me very epic music and this is no exception - cheesier than some but very richly melodic.

[Glasser – Nospūn] 2. Closer to your first submission but probably even more my thing - proggy yet crunchy and quite a few moments that remind me of a particular favourite band of mine.

3. This mostly sounds pretty standard for the genre, although there are a few nice flourishes here and there.

[Vmadera – Prototype] 4. Not sure if there's any specific aspect of this you thought could be risky - if anything it might be a bit too normal with nothing to really stand out, unless that was the issue?

[romdrums – Jaga Jazzist] 5. For the first few minutes I wondered if you’ve made a rare misstep, but it picks up a lot after that although I do wonder if I’ll end up finding it a bit too “thinky”.

[lonestar – Rolling Quartz] 6. Seems like this might be a happy middle ground between your first two submissions.

[soupy – Fellowship] 7. In sending the polar opposite of your last round, you’ve hit upon some great melodies but possibly a bit too much cheese factor.

[luke – Coheed and Cambria] 8. Don’t know whether it’ll wholly win me over, but this was both poppier and more dramatic than I was expecting and more engaging as a result.

[jingle – Nuclear Power Trio] 9. I’m pretty picky when it comes to instrumental rock but this is eclectic, super melodic and so full of energy and charm that my first listen was an absolute blast.

[Litho – Dejafuse] 10. The melodic approach isn’t that immediate, but I can already see this being a grower because every time I started feeling unsure about it, something exciting came along and cast away any doubts.

[HOF – Dim Gray] 11. You’ve been holding out on me! Rich, emotive, gorgeously arranged and produced - this is probably the best thing you’ve sent me.

[Elite – Wes Montgomery] 12. Exactly what I expected - talented playing and nice energy but perhaps lacking a bit of pizazz.

[faizoff – Van She] 13. Mmm warm vibes and synthy goodness - not mind-blowing maybe but a really nice listen right from the off.

[King – Our Lady Peace] 14. I’ve said before that this genre needs quite a lot of hooks and/or emotion to work - these songs seem to do rather well at both.

[seneca – Emma Ruth Rundle] 15. A little more minimalist than I’d normally go for, but it’s nice stuff and has some great moments.

[Crow – Vylet Pony] 16. I’ve heard all the individual elements of this before but the overall effect still feels really unique and really rather great.

[nick_z – Eneferens] 17. Vocals are a little weak and some of the production isn’t that great, but some of the music is so gorgeous that those things hopefully won’t matter too much.

[TAC – Castleway] 18. The use of strings stops this sounding too generic, and each track seems more interesting than the last.

19. This mostly sounds like a slightly modernised take on a popular 80s artist, if perhaps not quite as melodically rich.

20. Sounds pretty much exactly like I would have expected based on the people involved - not sure whether that familiarity is comforting or bordering on generic.

[Stadler – Asia] 21. The overall sound was very unsurprising, but there were some really warm and emotive moments that elevated this over what I might have expected.

[Puppies – Echolyn] 22. This was some nice warm prog - with each song, I wasn’t wowed at the start but was won over by the end.

[Buddy – Blanck Mass] 23. There was some very cool stuff here but the sound is very full and dense, I think it’ll be hard to form a proper opinion before getting in a listen or two on earphones.

[Evermind – Lords of Black] 24. I feel like I’m either going to find this a bit too straightforward or I’m going to love the melodic hooks and big sound, and after one listen I’ve no idea which is more likely.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 04:01:23 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1056 on: June 01, 2023, 03:39:28 PM »
I'm hoping for 2 but I'm afraid of it being 3.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1057 on: June 01, 2023, 04:01:47 PM »
You're in luck!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: June 01, 2023, 04:03:04 PM »
I'm guessing 3

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1059 on: June 01, 2023, 04:40:44 PM »
19 then?

Offline Glasser

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1061 on: June 02, 2023, 03:19:11 AM »
Here are the completed first impressions. Might be in a position to post comparisons this evening, or otherwise tomorrow. Results will be early next week, hopefully Monday. Managing around 9 days per round so far!

So, how about some...

Round 3 first impressions

[wolfking – Brymir] 1. You have a knack for sending me very epic music and this is no exception - cheesier than some but very richly melodic.

[Glasser – Nospūn] 2. Closer to your first submission but probably even more my thing - proggy yet crunchy and quite a few moments that remind me of a particular favourite band of mine.

[Reaper – From Monument To Masses] 3. This mostly sounds pretty standard for the genre, although there are a few nice flourishes here and there.

[Vmadera – Prototype] 4. Not sure if there's any specific aspect of this you thought could be risky - if anything it might be a bit too normal with nothing to really stand out, unless that was the issue?

[romdrums – Jaga Jazzist] 5. For the first few minutes I wondered if you’ve made a rare misstep, but it picks up a lot after that although I do wonder if I’ll end up finding it a bit too “thinky”.

[lonestar – Rolling Quartz] 6. Seems like this might be a happy middle ground between your first two submissions.

[soupy – Fellowship] 7. In sending the polar opposite of your last round, you’ve hit upon some great melodies but possibly a bit too much cheese factor.

[luke – Coheed and Cambria] 8. Don’t know whether it’ll wholly win me over, but this was both poppier and more dramatic than I was expecting and more engaging as a result.

[jingle – Nuclear Power Trio] 9. I’m pretty picky when it comes to instrumental rock but this is eclectic, super melodic and so full of energy and charm that my first listen was an absolute blast.

[Litho – Dejafuse] 10. The melodic approach isn’t that immediate, but I can already see this being a grower because every time I started feeling unsure about it, something exciting came along and cast away any doubts.

[HOF – Dim Gray] 11. You’ve been holding out on me! Rich, emotive, gorgeously arranged and produced - this is probably the best thing you’ve sent me.

[Elite – Wes Montgomery] 12. Exactly what I expected - talented playing and nice energy but perhaps lacking a bit of pizazz.

[faizoff – Van She] 13. Mmm warm vibes and synthy goodness - not mind-blowing maybe but a really nice listen right from the off.

[King – Our Lady Peace] 14. I’ve said before that this genre needs quite a lot of hooks and/or emotion to work - these songs seem to do rather well at both.

[seneca – Emma Ruth Rundle] 15. A little more minimalist than I’d normally go for, but it’s nice stuff and has some great moments.

[Crow – Vylet Pony] 16. I’ve heard all the individual elements of this before but the overall effect still feels really unique and really rather great.

[nick_z – Eneferens] 17. Vocals are a little weak and some of the production isn’t that great, but some of the music is so gorgeous that those things hopefully won’t matter too much.

[TAC – Castleway] 18. The use of strings stops this sounding too generic, and each track seems more interesting than the last.

[Sacul – The Black Queen] 19. This mostly sounds like a slightly modernised take on a popular 80s artist, if perhaps not quite as melodically rich.

[Luoto – Cain's Offering] 20. Sounds pretty much exactly like I would have expected based on the people involved - not sure whether that familiarity is comforting or bordering on generic.

[Stadler – Asia] 21. The overall sound was very unsurprising, but there were some really warm and emotive moments that elevated this over what I might have expected.

[Puppies – Echolyn] 22. This was some nice warm prog - with each song, I wasn’t wowed at the start but was won over by the end.

[Buddy – Blanck Mass] 23. There was some very cool stuff here but the sound is very full and dense, I think it’ll be hard to form a proper opinion before getting in a listen or two on earphones.

[Evermind – Lords of Black] 24. I feel like I’m either going to find this a bit too straightforward or I’m going to love the melodic hooks and big sound, and after one listen I’ve no idea which is more likely.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: June 02, 2023, 04:40:32 AM »
Woah missed all that.  You guys are quick.

Yeah, thought Brymir was up your alley.  I wouldn't have thought the word cheesy though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1063 on: June 02, 2023, 04:45:18 AM »

Yeah, thought Brymir was up your alley.  I wouldn't have thought the word cheesy though.
I mean it's not the cheesiest metal this round or anything, but there's definitely a power metal influence in there.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1064 on: June 02, 2023, 04:52:47 AM »

I mean it's not the cheesiest metal this round or anything, but there's definitely a power metal influence in there.

Go with the cheese, embrace the cheese.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1065 on: June 02, 2023, 05:03:43 AM »
This is me listening to soupy's submission:

I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: June 02, 2023, 06:03:41 AM »

Oh yeah, no doubt there.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1067 on: June 02, 2023, 07:57:09 AM »

Loved Brymir's latest.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 3 comparisons
« Reply #1068 on: June 02, 2023, 02:04:50 PM »
Round 3 comparisons
Comparisons to the previous round, indicative and subject to change.
As ever, ups and downs show only direction, not scale. Could be 0.1, could be 1.0.

Sacul v
TAC v
Luoto v
nick_z v
Crow ^
Stadler v
Buddy =
Puppies =
seneca v
Evermind ^
romdrums =
King =
faizoff ^
wolfking ^
Glasser ^
Reaper v
lonestar ^
Vmadera v
Elite v
soupy ^
luke ^
HOF ^
Litho ^
jingle ^

More orange than usual! But as always scores can shift on my final listens.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1069 on: June 02, 2023, 02:06:45 PM »
Round 3 comparisons

faizoff ^
Damn does that mean I'm not last anymore? Maybe 2nd to last now? :biggrin:
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1070 on: June 02, 2023, 02:10:57 PM »
Round 3 comparisons

faizoff ^
Damn does that mean I'm not last anymore? Maybe 2nd to last now? :biggrin:
It means I expect you to get a higher score than you did in round 2. Whether that means you get off the bottom depends on how big the movements are for you and others.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1071 on: June 02, 2023, 02:13:56 PM »
Ariich a confirmed brony :neverusethis:

Congrats Crow!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1072 on: June 02, 2023, 02:16:33 PM »
 :metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1073 on: June 02, 2023, 02:21:22 PM »
Ariich a confirmed brony :neverusethis:
:lol

I genuinely had no idea there was apparently some huge fan community around My Little Pony until Crow sent me these songs and I looked the artist up. I don't know if it's even a thing in the UK or whether it's mainly an American thing or what. A week ago all I knew about MLP was that there was a cartoon and a range of toys that my sister liked when she was pre-teen.

Learning things like this blows my mind. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1074 on: June 02, 2023, 02:27:00 PM »
ooh baby now we're in business  :corn

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1075 on: June 02, 2023, 02:31:52 PM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1077 on: June 02, 2023, 02:46:30 PM »
Not too surprising considering last round's submission did quite well. Hopefully we're talking small margins.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline nick_z

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1079 on: June 02, 2023, 02:49:18 PM »

Ariich, you should just post this gif as your write-up and nothing else. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1080 on: June 02, 2023, 03:14:27 PM »
After being the caboose last round, I had nowhere to go but up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1081 on: June 02, 2023, 03:27:07 PM »

Your point differential is going to be huge. NPIII is such a fuckign amazing EP.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1082 on: June 02, 2023, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm starting to think that Glasser is actually an orangutan.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1083 on: June 02, 2023, 05:57:31 PM »

Don't look at the latest set of comparisons for people in my roulette.   :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1084 on: June 02, 2023, 07:15:22 PM »
More orange than usual! But as always scores can shift on my final listens.
Oh boy, I read this as "scores can shit on my final listens", and wasn't sure how to take that  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar