Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91817 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 3 first impressions
« Reply #1015 on: June 01, 2023, 11:31:52 AM »
1. You have a knack for sending me very epic music and this is no exception - cheesier than some but very richly melodic.

8. Don’t know whether it’ll wholly win me over, but this was both poppier and more dramatic than I was expecting and more engaging as a result.

10. The melodic approach isn’t that immediate, but I can already see this being a grower because every time I started feeling unsure about it, something exciting came along and cast away any doubts.

13. Mmm warm vibes and synthy goodness - not mind-blowing maybe but a really nice listen right from the off.

16. I’ve heard all the individual elements of this before but the overall effect still feels really unique and really rather great.

17. Vocals are a little weak and some of the production isn’t that great, but some of the music is so gorgeous that those things hopefully won’t matter too much.

23. There was some very cool stuff here but the sound is very full and dense, I think it’ll be hard to form a proper opinion before getting in a listen or two on earphones.

i feel like it's gotta be somewhere in this pool? but idk where

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1016 on: June 01, 2023, 11:42:53 AM »
11? ;D

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1017 on: June 01, 2023, 12:45:16 PM »

Also 9 is Nuclear Power Trio?

Totally

My first inclination was 2, but then I saw 9.  No clue if anyone else sent instrumental tunes, but the only thing that gives me pause is the comment "instrumental rock".  I wouldn't necessarily classify NPT as "rock".  Putin slaps dat bass way too hard for it to be "rock".
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1018 on: June 01, 2023, 12:47:51 PM »
7 all the way....and embrace the cheese!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1019 on: June 01, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
1,2, 6 or 7 but hopefully not 20.
None of those.

6 or 24?
Yep, 6!

At first I thought #4, since I mentioned what I sent was risky. But it could be #17.
Yeah it's 4.

I’ll be bold and eliminate 11 as an option and go from there.
11 it is!

3,7,14 or 24.
Yep 14.

11? ;D
Nice try, but no. :lol

Totally

My first inclination was 2, but then I saw 9.  No clue if anyone else sent instrumental tunes, but the only thing that gives me pause is the comment "instrumental rock".  I wouldn't necessarily classify NPT as "rock".  Putin slaps dat bass way too hard for it to be "rock".
It's definitely 9 and it's definitely rock. :lol

7 all the way.
:lol Yes indeed.

Stadler, Evermind and Crow - correct selections but you need to narrow it down a bit more than that!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1020 on: June 01, 2023, 12:50:05 PM »
Quoted for new page:

So, how about some...

Round 3 first impressions

1. You have a knack for sending me very epic music and this is no exception - cheesier than some but very richly melodic.

2. Closer to your first submission but probably even more my thing - proggy yet crunchy and quite a few moments that remind me of a particular favourite band of mine.

3. This mostly sounds pretty standard for the genre, although there are a few nice flourishes here and there.

[Vmadera – Prototype] 4. Not sure if there's any specific aspect of this you thought could be risky - if anything it might be a bit too normal with nothing to really stand out, unless that was the issue?

[romdrums – Jaga Jazzist] 5. For the first few minutes I wondered if you’ve made a rare misstep, but it picks up a lot after that although I do wonder if I’ll end up finding it a bit too “thinky”.

[lonestar – Rolling Quartz] 6. Seems like this might be a happy middle ground between your first two submissions.

[soupy – Fellowship] 7. In sending the polar opposite of your last round, you’ve hit upon some great melodies but possibly a bit too much cheese factor.

[luke – Coheed and Cambria] 8. Don’t know whether it’ll wholly win me over, but this was both poppier and more dramatic than I was expecting and more engaging as a result.

[jingle – Nuclear Power Trio] 9. I’m pretty picky when it comes to instrumental rock but this is eclectic, super melodic and so full of energy and charm that my first listen was an absolute blast.

[Litho – Dejafuse] 10. The melodic approach isn’t that immediate, but I can already see this being a grower because every time I started feeling unsure about it, something exciting came along and cast away any doubts.

[HOF – Dim Gray] 11. You’ve been holding out on me! Rich, emotive, gorgeously arranged and produced - this is probably the best thing you’ve sent me.

[Elite – Wes Montgomery] 12. Exactly what I expected - talented playing and nice energy but perhaps lacking a bit of pizazz.

[faizoff – Van She] 13. Mmm warm vibes and synthy goodness - not mind-blowing maybe but a really nice listen right from the off.

[King – Our Lady Peace] 14. I’ve said before that this genre needs quite a lot of hooks and/or emotion to work - these songs seem to do rather well at both.

[seneca – Emma Ruth Rundle] 15. A little more minimalist than I’d normally go for, but it’s nice stuff and has some great moments.

[Crow – Vylet Pony] 16. I’ve heard all the individual elements of this before but the overall effect still feels really unique and really rather great.

17. Vocals are a little weak and some of the production isn’t that great, but some of the music is so gorgeous that those things hopefully won’t matter too much.

[TAC – Castleway] 18. The use of strings stops this sounding too generic, and each track seems more interesting than the last.

19. This mostly sounds like a slightly modernised take on a popular 80s artist, if perhaps not quite as melodically rich.

20. Sounds pretty much exactly like I would have expected based on the people involved - not sure whether that familiarity is comforting or bordering on generic.

[Stadler – Asia] 21. The overall sound was very unsurprising, but there were some really warm and emotive moments that elevated this over what I might have expected.

[Puppies – Echolyn] 22. This was some nice warm prog - with each song, I wasn’t wowed at the start but was won over by the end.

[Buddy – Blanck Mass] 23. There was some very cool stuff here but the sound is very full and dense, I think it’ll be hard to form a proper opinion before getting in a listen or two on earphones.

[Evermind – Lords of Black] 24. I feel like I’m either going to find this a bit too straightforward or I’m going to love the melodic hooks and big sound, and after one listen I’ve no idea which is more likely.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 02:29:23 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: June 01, 2023, 12:51:56 PM »
1, 7, 14, 20 or 24?

Stadler, Evermind and Crow - correct selections but you need to narrow it down a bit more than that!

Well as 7 and 14 are taken, that narrows it down to three.

1 or 24?
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1022 on: June 01, 2023, 12:52:13 PM »

Totally

Slaps that thing around like it called the conflict a war....

6 or 24?
Yep, 6!

Cool, hopefully the use of 'happy' means an upswing in score and also a reflection of how frikkin awesome Jayoung's vocals are, cause after this, the next two rounds get really.....different, and are very, very Japanese...

« Last Edit: June 01, 2023, 01:17:33 PM by lonestar »

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1023 on: June 01, 2023, 12:53:17 PM »
8 or 17?

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1024 on: June 01, 2023, 12:54:43 PM »
13 or 23?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1025 on: June 01, 2023, 12:56:25 PM »

Totally

It's metal af!  :jingleboy:   :lol

LMFAO!!!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1026 on: June 01, 2023, 12:58:27 PM »

Totally

It's metal af!  :jingleboy:   :lol

LMFAO!!!

I'm sure Rich will be happy to learn they're dropping a full album next month. After listening to NPIII and Allegaeon, it should be clear how guitarist Greg Burgess made it into my top 10 of guitar players.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1027 on: June 01, 2023, 12:59:11 PM »
19?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online HOF

« Reply #1028 on: June 01, 2023, 01:02:00 PM »
Oh, yeah!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1029 on: June 01, 2023, 01:20:57 PM »
Maybe 15?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1030 on: June 01, 2023, 01:22:41 PM »
3 or, more likely, 12?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1031 on: June 01, 2023, 01:28:37 PM »
My first hunch was #6, but that's apparently lonestar.  Let's try #3, #16, or #24. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1032 on: June 01, 2023, 01:36:18 PM »
3. This mostly sounds pretty standard for the genre, although there are a few nice flourishes here and there.

12. Exactly what I expected - talented playing and nice energy but perhaps lacking a bit of pizazz.

21. The overall sound was very unsurprising, but there were some really warm and emotive moments that elevated this over what I might have expected.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1033 on: June 01, 2023, 01:39:21 PM »
8. Don’t know whether it’ll wholly win me over, but this was both poppier and more dramatic than I was expecting and more engaging as a result.

10. The melodic approach isn’t that immediate, but I can already see this being a grower because every time I started feeling unsure about it, something exciting came along and cast away any doubts.

13. Mmm warm vibes and synthy goodness - not mind-blowing maybe but a really nice listen right from the off.

narrowed it down a bit more, i feel like 17 is the most likely shot here tbh but i don't want it to be that

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1034 on: June 01, 2023, 01:41:32 PM »
I didn't see 18 before. I think that'd be it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1035 on: June 01, 2023, 01:54:18 PM »
Well as 7 and 14 are taken, that narrows it down to three.

1 or 24?
Good point. Smartarse. :P

24 it is!

8 or 17?
8!

13 or 23?
Neither.

19?
No, although I can see why you think that.

Maybe 15?
Correct!

3 or, more likely, 12?
Yeah 12.

My first hunch was #6, but that's apparently lonestar.  Let's try #3, #16, or #24. 
No, no and no. Yours is probably a little more vague I guess.

12. Exactly what I expected - talented playing and nice energy but perhaps lacking a bit of pizazz.

21. The overall sound was very unsurprising, but there were some really warm and emotive moments that elevated this over what I might have expected.
Yep, 21.

narrowed it down a bit more, i feel like 17 is the most likely shot here tbh but i don't want it to be that
Actually no, none of those. :lol Last try..!

I didn't see 18 before. I think that'd be it.
:tup

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1036 on: June 01, 2023, 02:01:49 PM »
I'll take 22 or one of the bad ones  :mehlin
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1037 on: June 01, 2023, 02:02:02 PM »
Seems #10 and #23 are the only relevant ones left, but you might be framing it completely differently than I do. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1038 on: June 01, 2023, 02:03:15 PM »
13?

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1039 on: June 01, 2023, 02:05:12 PM »
I'll take 22 or one of the bad ones  :mehlin
Fortunately it's 22.

Although I'm not sure any of the impressions are "bad" in absolute terms - just relatively. :lol

Seems #10 and #23 are the only relevant ones left, but you might be framing it completely differently than I do. 
10 it is.

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1041 on: June 01, 2023, 02:06:57 PM »

16. I’ve heard all the individual elements of this before but the overall effect still feels really unique and really rather great.

23. There was some very cool stuff here but the sound is very full and dense, I think it’ll be hard to form a proper opinion before getting in a listen or two on earphones.

hmm idk then. 23? 1 doesn't actually seem that applicable tbh i'd probably remove it from the pool if i could. 16 i could see too tho

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1042 on: June 01, 2023, 02:07:51 PM »
3 or 13 then?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1043 on: June 01, 2023, 02:08:36 PM »
Do we have a playlist, Rich?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1044 on: June 01, 2023, 02:10:43 PM »

hmm idk then. 23? 1 doesn't actually seem that applicable tbh i'd probably remove it from the pool if i could. 16 i could see too tho

Is one of these also mine? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1046 on: June 01, 2023, 02:17:36 PM »

Got there in the end, it's 16.

3 or 13 then?
13 :tup

Is one of these also mine? :lol
Yes. :lol 23.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1047 on: June 01, 2023, 02:24:36 PM »
3 or 5?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1048 on: June 01, 2023, 02:24:55 PM »
that's a good first impression to receive albeit i'm surprised some of the, like, hyperpop-y elements are things you've heard before, esp. the second track  :lol but fair

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1049 on: June 01, 2023, 02:31:04 PM »
3 or 5?
5 indeed.

that's a good first impression to receive albeit i'm surprised some of the, like, hyperpop-y elements are things you've heard before, esp. the second track  :lol but fair
Well like the impression says, the overall effect is pretty unique for me. But all the elements that make it up, yeah I've heard in things like Sayonara Wild Hearts (which you yourself sent me two roulettes ago), some of Anamanaguchi's stuff, things like that.

I be am boner inducing.