Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91916 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 1 RESULTS!
« Reply #455 on: May 18, 2023, 02:07:01 PM »
Interesting take...oddly enough the latter two songs are from their '23 release, and the others are from their first album, so I guess that's growth as a band. Unlike a lot of the Japanese bands, Saiseiga is completely independent and don't have outside writers or production teams, so their growth is a lot more organic and transparent.
Yeah I gathered that about the songs I preferred coming from the second album - as you say sounds like they may be already growing into their style really nicely, but I'll obviously need to give both albums a listen to hear that myself!

--------------------------------

Anyways, glad you enjoyed, definitely check out the rest of that album, it's awesome.
I'll take an 8.0.  Hope you get a chance to check out the whole album. 
Oh yeah no question I'll check out these albums. Other than cases where I've literally been unable to even find a youtube stream of an album, which has been incredibly rare, I'll always check out every artist I rate 8.0 or more and this time I imagine I'll extend that lower this time - in my fogey roulette I think I checked out at least something by literally every artist no matter how low they scored and it was good fun. Not sure I can manage that this time with 24 players and 7 rounds, but I think something like 100% of 7.8+ rated submissions and then for things that score lower but interest me enough to err on the side of checking those out too (from this round it would be Moon Tooth for sure and maybe an album by Caroline's Spine).

The Finnish MDM well that you don't already know is kinda running dry, admittedly :lol They have a new album coming out in a few weeks.
Yeah I noticed that one of the songs was a single - you've done that a few times with me now!

Middle of the pack - with this crew I'll take it!
Yeah the competition is fierce in this roulette. Interested to see if the consistency of quality can be maintained in the first Light round.

Also holy shit that was some quick turnaround for this amount of music.
Is it that crazy? It was about 9 days from when people first started sending me stuff and I started listening pretty much straight away. I got in a good 5 listens to every submission, with only the 5th listen (which was the one where I was doing write-ups and making any final tweaks to ratings) involving occasional skips, e.g. where I felt I knew the rest of that song and should skip to the next.

As I've said before, I'm able to listen to a lot of music. It's just been that in that week-and-a-bit, I've not really listened to other stuff apart from a couple of new albums (including the new Mystery which came out on Wednesday and is rather nice).

Dunno, it's probably factored in a little, but I might have made the same choices regardless, so far anyway.  I don't really have a great mental profile of your taste despite skimming bits of some older roulettes, so I'm sort of treating you like an alternate universe version of me who has somewhat similar tastes but somehow hasn't heard any of the same artists.  I'll probably keep somewhat going with that for a bit until/unless I can figure out an even better strategy. 
That sounds pretty great to be honest. :lol

I also wonder about factoring the style of each host in how they listen to submissions (possibly just more overthinking though), and wonder if some songs fare better than others depending up how much time is devoted to them, possibly avoiding songs with hooks that are more subtle and could take longer to sink in.  That's all so subjective though it's hard to make a science of it.  "Sleepwalkers" took slightly longer to grow on me, but I wanted something from the latest album with the more reverb-laden sound. 
So, on this point, although my commitment is a minimum of 3 listens, I'm going to try and ensure I maintain 5 listens like I did this round and did most rounds in my last two roulettes too. I've rarely found that things have materially grown on me in a concentrated timespan by just listening more and more. The passage of time and coming back to something fresh can absolutely do that, but that's not really an option in a roulette (or in a timely one anyway!). I've definitely got to a point where around 4-5 listens is the sweet spot - I'm familiar with the songs, I know what's going on, they've had a good chance to grow on me and I can form a clear view of my opinion on it - beyond this is very much diminishing returns.

Do at least check out "The Wretched Tide" from Sovran, the same album "Dishearten" is on, I really wanted to include it as well but didn't want to kick anything else out. 
As I said above, I'll be properly checking out everything that scores 7.8 or higher and for those that are 8.0+ I imagine it'll often be multiple albums. In Draconian's case, for sure I'll check out all three.

let's GOOOO  :metal
that entire birds in row album is really good tho imo i did kinda send all the best songs off it  :corn
...which is like, almost half the album by runtime, so
Can't wait to check it out!

I had a feeling I might be in for that kind of score and response. Although I think the music suits the lyrics/theme well, I can understand why you might find it lacking. As you said, it's not inappropriate for the context, but that doesn't mean it's good. I think what it boils down to—maybe—is that I place more weight on the lyrics, which as you say are terribly affecting.
Yeah this was the hardest one to rate. When considering how much I like music, I don't generally place that much weight on lyrics other that "by exception" - evocative lyrics can elevate something to even greater heights, or particularly annoying or bad lyrics can detract. This was a weird one where I just wasn't feeling at all that the lyrics were actually elevating the music, but I found them so moving in themselves that I needed to reflect that in my overall opinion.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's already sent your first "light" submissions! I'll make a start on some listening tomorrow. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #456 on: May 18, 2023, 02:07:46 PM »
i pretty much outright said it in my last  set of writeups but yeah as far as like, modern music goes (60's onwards i guess we'll say) the 80's tend to be my least favorite decade for it  :lol there's good stuff there but the decades before it and after it all have a lot more appeal to me on the whole

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2023, 02:11:57 PM »
Starting at the bottom in not one but TWO roulettes! I do wonder at times how some of the older stuff from early to mid 80s sound now. As a teenager that made quite an impression but not sure in the scheme of things how old school stuff relates to many.
A few roulettes ago most 80s stuff would have been pretty risky with me, but I finally reached a point where I'm very open to genre and style now, and have come around on a lot of 80s stuff I previously thought of as cheesy (not that it's not cheesy, just that cheesy isn't inherently a problem). My fogey roulette two years ago was great at introducing me to a whole load of great 70s and 80s music I didn't know. That said, it tends to be the melodic and energetic from that period that grabs me. For heavier styles like thrash, it's more mid-late 80s where I start to find it more engaging.

I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #458 on: May 18, 2023, 02:12:29 PM »
Excellent!  While KOK is new to me also, the album flew right out of the gates for me too.

I don't think I'll have round 2 sent for another 24 hours or so, hopefully that's okay?

I'm also considering basic prog metal with clean vocals light, is that classed as taking the piss?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #459 on: May 18, 2023, 02:14:53 PM »
i pretty much outright said it in my last  set of writeups but yeah as far as like, modern music goes (60's onwards i guess we'll say) the 80's tend to be my least favorite decade for it  :lol there's good stuff there but the decades before it and after it all have a lot more appeal to me on the whole
The DTF fogeys will probably be delighted that, since my fogey roulette, the 80s no longer has the lowest average rating in my RYM - it's now jumped above the 90s (although I still know more music from the 90s, so on balance the two are probably pretty comparable).

2010s and 2020s remain easily the strongest eras though.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #460 on: May 18, 2023, 02:18:36 PM »
I'm also considering basic prog metal with clean vocals light, is that classed as taking the piss?  :lol
No that's totally fine. I know your tastes and even said in the OP that your light would be heavier than Stadler's heavy and it sounds like I'm about to be proven right. :lol

For everyone's benefit, a reminder:
 - round 2 should be "light", but that's relative and up to you to interpret what light and dark/heavy mean - if it's not super obvious, just explain in your PM.
 - light doesn't have to be acoustic or ambient, and doesn't even need to be among the lightest stuff you listen to - but it needs to be materially lighter than your heavy submissions.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #461 on: May 18, 2023, 02:25:57 PM »
Mine's pretty light. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #462 on: May 18, 2023, 02:33:18 PM »

Yeah the competition is fierce in this roulette. Interested to see if the consistency of quality can be maintained in the first Light round.

I was telling Joe and Chad in our chat, for me that Rd 1 submission is the weakest of what I got lined up for you.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #463 on: May 18, 2023, 02:33:36 PM »
Yeah sweet, that's good.  I just don't want to send something you may not like just because of the theme. 

Trying to find things you've never heard that's decent is tough.  You have an extensive catalogue thats for sure.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2023, 02:34:33 PM »

Does this mean it's heavy AF?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #465 on: May 18, 2023, 02:40:22 PM »

Does this mean it's heavy AF?

No, it actually means it's light AF. :lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #466 on: May 18, 2023, 02:41:33 PM »
Oh.... :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #467 on: May 18, 2023, 03:07:10 PM »

Bet you say that to all the guys.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #468 on: May 18, 2023, 03:07:27 PM »
So, on this point, although my commitment is a minimum of 3 listens, I'm going to try and ensure I maintain 5 listens like I did this round and did most rounds in my last two roulettes too. I've rarely found that things have materially grown on me in a concentrated timespan by just listening more and more. The passage of time and coming back to something fresh can absolutely do that, but that's not really an option in a roulette (or in a timely one anyway!). I've definitely got to a point where around 4-5 listens is the sweet spot - I'm familiar with the songs, I know what's going on, they've had a good chance to grow on me and I can form a clear view of my opinion on it - beyond this is very much diminishing returns.

Interesting.  Possibly another difference in listening styles, I may be excessively trying to squeeze all the juice out of everything during the roulette itself.  Some things last round in particular kept growing on me right up until finalizing scores and writeups, even after a bunch of listens.  And even then I'm kind of failing, with Elite probably suffering the worst so far.  Right offhand, I know Oranssi Pazuzu kept growing a bit even a few days after I posted results, and I suspect Gilad Hekselmen from last round could do something similar. 

As I said above, I'll be properly checking out everything that scores 7.8 or higher and for those that are 8.0+ I imagine it'll often be multiple albums. In Draconian's case, for sure I'll check out all three.

Cool, I figured/hoped so based on snippets of your past ones.  They actually have more than that (perhaps you already knew that and were just referring to ones I sent something from in the roulette) - I just wanted to highlight that song in particular whenever you listen to it in the future to see if it leaps out more than "Sleepwalkers" did, since it was the most agonizing one to cut from the set. 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #469 on: May 18, 2023, 03:14:36 PM »

I was telling Joe and Chad in our chat, for me that Rd 1 submission is the weakest of what I got lined up for you.

Which is going to make it especially disappointing if (when?) you score lower than this submission :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nick_z

« Reply #470 on: May 18, 2023, 03:23:27 PM »
Nice, I’ll take it! Glad you enjoyed the songs.

Yeah, the genre is not one that’s known for wild experimentation to start with…plus the band really has been around for a while, so no big shocks there…

Regardless, I’ve always had a soft spot for that kind of gothic/doom metal sound, and this Lacrimas Profundere’s record is pretty sweet that way. Like you said, nothing groundbreaking, but small touches here and there to make it interesting, and overall very consistently high quality songs.

Planning to send for round 2 later tonight or early tomorrow…

Offline HOF

« Reply #471 on: May 18, 2023, 03:57:51 PM »
About the score I expected. Will send something light soon!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #472 on: May 18, 2023, 04:47:51 PM »

Which is going to make it especially disappointing if (when?) you score lower than this submission :neverusethis:

Right? Setting myself up for that disappointment.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #473 on: May 18, 2023, 04:55:17 PM »
Sent for round #2!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #474 on: May 18, 2023, 05:14:08 PM »
getting my future rounds 3-6 prepped and i'm actually struggling more with the heavy than the light rn tbh
an abstract illusion is very banned and that would've been my top pick for the prog metal side of heavy and the only other thing popping to mind rn on that front is... not ariich-core at all i don't think and i don't wanna send it :V meanwhile i have too many light options to even go with 'em all oops

Offline faizoff

« Reply #475 on: May 18, 2023, 05:32:43 PM »
Sent for round 2.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #476 on: May 18, 2023, 06:01:26 PM »
Sent!
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #478 on: May 18, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »
Excellent!  While KOK is new to me also, the album flew right out of the gates for me too.

I don't think I'll have round 2 sent for another 24 hours or so, hopefully that's okay?

:lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #479 on: May 18, 2023, 10:21:29 PM »
Sent!

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: May 19, 2023, 06:02:24 AM »

:lol

Lol, what?

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #481 on: May 19, 2023, 06:02:47 AM »
Will send in around 12 hours.  Sorry.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #482 on: May 19, 2023, 06:33:23 AM »
Oh that's actually quite better than I expected, hell yeah :metal. I only sent For Free to show the variety of styles he can pull off, I personally love that song and the music video, but I can see why it wouldn't be your thing. That whole album is fantastic though.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: May 19, 2023, 06:54:56 AM »
and sent! There is a lot of overlap between ariich's RYM and mine so I'm gonna dig deep

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #484 on: May 19, 2023, 07:00:04 AM »
and sent! There is a lot of overlap between ariich's RYM and mine so I'm gonna dig deep

I have no such problem.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »
Sent the band I always tank with in roulettes, so good luck Crow, Kade and Buddy!
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: May 19, 2023, 06:23:18 PM »
Sent.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #487 on: May 19, 2023, 06:35:51 PM »
Sent the band I always tank with in roulettes, so good luck Crow, Kade and Buddy!

Ariich will probably love it. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #488 on: May 20, 2023, 01:42:08 PM »
Sent for round 3 :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #489 on: May 20, 2023, 02:54:06 PM »
Just waiting on Sacul and Stadler, both of whom tend to be less active at weekends I think (certainly the case for Stads).

Made a start on first listens, very interesting the different ways people have interpreted the light theme.

I be am boner inducing.