Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 86603 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 1 first impressions!
« Reply #385 on: May 16, 2023, 08:08:11 PM »
I know this is easy for all of you but I feel like I'm not doing it right and feel totally out of place.  :|

Not doing what right? There's nothing to do. Just sit back and wait for the scores for the first round.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #386 on: May 16, 2023, 08:13:55 PM »
Rich, is my round 2 submission ok??? (For my first time I want to submit them individually).

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #387 on: May 16, 2023, 08:18:09 PM »
(and some people just join everything regardless).
Guilty as charged :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Glasser

« Reply #388 on: May 16, 2023, 08:22:05 PM »
I know this is easy for all of you but I feel like I'm not doing it right and feel totally out of place.  :|

Not doing what right? There's nothing to do. Just sit back and wait for the scores for the first round.

Roulette etiquette?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #389 on: May 16, 2023, 08:24:41 PM »

Roulette etiquette?

The only etiquette you need to show is to have your submissions in on time for the next round to start. Usually that's 24 hours after the previous round's results are posted. If you've already submitted for Round 2, then you are more than good.

Rich, is my round 2 submission ok??? (For my first time I want to submit them individually).

Most of us submit them individually. :)
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2023, 08:35:32 PM »
As long as your submission is in before elite you're good... And that's a big hoop to jump through

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #391 on: May 16, 2023, 09:53:04 PM »

Yes Tom, shame on you, you are doing literally everything wrong!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #392 on: May 16, 2023, 09:58:47 PM »

Yes Tom, shame on you, you are doing literally everything wrong!

I know Kade, I ruin everything unfortunately.  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #393 on: May 16, 2023, 10:02:55 PM »

Roulette etiquette?

The only etiquette you need to show is to have your submissions in on time for the next round to start. Usually that's 24 hours after the previous round's results are posted. If you've already submitted for Round 2, then you are more than good.

I submitted 2 and 3. I'm a rebel.  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #394 on: May 16, 2023, 11:29:53 PM »
Yeah this, although I'm not too fussed about a 24 hour turnaround, personally. I always get a decent number of people who sent within that first day, enough to get started on listening, and as long as everyone else is in within a couple of days, we're good.

The other etiquette is just to have fun and not take things too seriously - it's all a matter of personal taste and hosts won't love everything they get sent, but they'll give everything a fair shot.

Not so much etiquette, but also there are different ways that people play. Some people just like to introduce the host to some of their own top favourites, others focus on what they think the host will like most, and some kind of balance those two. There's no correct way to play, although unless they have incredibly overlapping tastes then those who win tend to put at least some thought and effort into meeting the host's tastes/interests.

On which note...

Yeah on this, some people send the next round(s) ahead of time, but most people prefer to wait until the results of the current round so they have the fullest/most up-to-date understanding of what the host is responding to more or less positively. Your round 2 and 3 submissions look fine to me although I've not yet checked that round 2 is "lighter" than round 1 in order to meet the theme. Feel free to send others early if you wish, or equally you're welcome to wait until we actually reach that round and factor my ratings/reviews into later submissions, whatever you prefer - again there's no correct way to play. :)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #395 on: May 17, 2023, 01:26:46 AM »
Yeah this, although I'm not too fussed about a 24 hour turnaround, personally. I always get a decent number of people who sent within that first day, enough to get started on listening, and as long as everyone else is in within a couple of days, we're good.

The other etiquette is just to have fun and not take things too seriously - it's all a matter of personal taste and hosts won't love everything they get sent, but they'll give everything a fair shot.

Not so much etiquette, but also there are different ways that people play. Some people just like to introduce the host to some of their own top favourites, others focus on what they think the host will like most, and some kind of balance those two. There's no correct way to play, although unless they have incredibly overlapping tastes then those who win tend to put at least some thought and effort into meeting the host's tastes/interests.

On which note...

Yeah on this, some people send the next round(s) ahead of time, but most people prefer to wait until the results of the current round so they have the fullest/most up-to-date understanding of what the host is responding to more or less positively. Your round 2 and 3 submissions look fine to me although I've not yet checked that round 2 is "lighter" than round 1 in order to meet the theme. Feel free to send others early if you wish, or equally you're welcome to wait until we actually reach that round and factor my ratings/reviews into later submissions, whatever you prefer - again there's no correct way to play. :)

Tell that to Tim...  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #396 on: May 17, 2023, 02:14:22 AM »

On which note...

I feel confident that you will find round 2 is lighter than 1. If its an issue let me know, and again, thank you all for the guidance. This is fun. My true "heavy" hasn't shown up yet. I'm trying to have fun but be strategic to what it seems your tastes are. The next heavy round all bets are off.  :metal

Edit: I resent round 2. Round 3 is fine.  :tup
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 02:40:19 AM by Glasser »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #397 on: May 17, 2023, 03:58:14 AM »
My true "heavy" hasn't shown up yet. I'm trying to have fun but be strategic to what it seems your tastes are. The next heavy round all bets are off.  :metal
My tastes aren't that easily defined, really (as all my regulars will tell you!). Certainly they're less dependent on genre/overall style than I think most people. Melodic approach is a big driver. Certain aspects of performance (like vocal delivery) and production can also make a big difference, as can specific stylistic choices.

My RYM is hopefully reasonably helpful, although it doesn't explain why I rate things the way I do. If you haven't already you could also have a skim through the results from my v6 roulette especially, and to some extent my v7 although that was focused on older music. That's arguably a less complete picture but at least my write-ups give an indication of what speaks to me and what doesn't.

My v6 is here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55161
My v7 is here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=56863

--------------------------

By the way, a bit of an aside that's not about the roulette but might be of interest to people. Earlier in the year I had a mini "project" whereby I dipped, to varying extents, into everything I'd previously rated lower than 3 stars (unless I did so recently) to see what I think now. I had quite a lot of ratings going as far back as 2007, and I've found a few occasions in my last couple of roulettes where I've been prompted to revisit something and found myself liking it a lot more. In the past I've gone through phases of being down on certain styles or genres, but the past few years that's not really been the case anymore and I'd judged a lot of things unfairly.

Anyway it was a really interesting and enjoyable project and I found a new appreciation for a lot of stuff I'd written off. In a few cases things jumped up above the coveted 4-star line. On the flipside there were some cases where I'd been far too generous to things that I actually find pretty unpleasant to listen to. :lol

I might at some point extend this to things I've rated higher, especially in the 3.0 to 4.0 star range where I suspect there will be more of a mix between things I've been unfair on and things I've been too generous towards.

Anyway in terms of relevance to this roulette, I guess the key takeaway is that the things that are still rated low in my RYM, that really is what I think of them.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 04:47:21 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #398 on: May 17, 2023, 04:29:19 AM »
Trying to figure out Rich's taste is like figuring out why you get yelled at, waiting for your wife to get ready.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #399 on: May 17, 2023, 04:35:48 AM »
Trying to figure out Rich's taste is like figuring out why you get yelled at, waiting for your wife to get ready.
I'm ready when I'm ready, Joe!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #400 on: May 17, 2023, 04:58:22 AM »
That response sound like a voice of experience.   Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #401 on: May 17, 2023, 06:16:24 AM »

There‘a no right or wrong. You just send the tunes you think the host will like, then sit back and enjoy the ride!

Tom's like a 14-year old trying to unhook a bra for the first time.

I've found a few occasions in my last couple of roulettes where I've been prompted to revisit something and found myself liking it a lot more. In the past I've gone through phases of being down on certain styles or genres, but the past few years that's not really been the case anymore and I'd judged a lot of things unfairly.

Anyway it was a really interesting and enjoyable project and I found a new appreciation for a lot of stuff I'd written off. In a few cases things jumped up above the coveted 4-star line.

So how many White Lion albums did you buy as a result??   :lol :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #402 on: May 17, 2023, 06:25:02 AM »

:lol

Tom was probably 9 though. :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #403 on: May 17, 2023, 06:31:22 AM »

I have only heard one song by them - you failed to inspire me to check out a whole album. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #404 on: May 17, 2023, 06:35:04 AM »

I have only heard one song by them - you failed to inspire me to check out a whole album. :P

I saw them live in 1987 and that didn't inspire me to check out a whole album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #405 on: May 17, 2023, 11:32:58 AM »

How old was your sister?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 11:41:09 AM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #406 on: May 17, 2023, 02:10:29 PM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #407 on: May 17, 2023, 04:00:21 PM »
As long as your submission is in before elite you're good... And that's a big hoop to jump through

I’m tempted to send everything in advance now so you’re all too late :biggrin: :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #408 on: May 17, 2023, 04:17:22 PM »

Got a bunch of writeups done today so pretty confident results will be tomorrow. All in all this was a strong first round and I didn't dislike anything. Some scores have settled quite a bit higher than I thought they might, some lower, and for some my opinion hasn't changed even slightly from my first impression. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #409 on: May 17, 2023, 04:18:27 PM »
 :metal

And we're good on my round 2,correct? I actually forgot what specific songs I told you lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2023, 04:28:01 PM »
Results tomorrow?  You're a madman.   :lol   There's no way I could sort out the granularities of 24 different 20-minute submissions with just 4 listens this soon.   :omg:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #411 on: May 17, 2023, 04:32:41 PM »
Just noticed the 5 artist limit for the EP, I already had 7-8  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #412 on: May 17, 2023, 04:40:20 PM »
You're a madman.
:lol Thanks, sig'd.

As I said before, for all that we have in common I think this is a difference in how we listen to and enjoy music.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #413 on: May 17, 2023, 05:16:34 PM »
damb imagine waiting until tomorrow to post results when you could be posting them today

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Offline Glasser

« Reply #415 on: May 17, 2023, 08:01:46 PM »

I was actually pretty good by 14 Chad. Tim's pretty close.   :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #416 on: May 17, 2023, 08:03:49 PM »

How old was your sister?

:rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #417 on: May 18, 2023, 06:59:00 AM »
 :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #418 on: May 18, 2023, 07:03:54 AM »
On the main page, when I saw that "lonestar" was the Last Post, I thought "it's probably corn"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #419 on: May 18, 2023, 07:40:53 AM »

I'm just excited for results  :biggrin: