Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91455 times)

Offline Glasser

Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 1 first impressions!
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2023, 01:47:31 PM »
Rich, not necessary.  Please don't do any extra work. For me, at least, when I did the multiple song rounds, I still combined them into 2 or 3 different playlists. One playlist with everything was too big for me to handle.

I can listen to the songs I want to listen to on my own. No worries.
Only took a few minutes of dragging and dropping, really not much hassle. However a few of the songs (all 3 Black Sabbath and the last Once Human) are not available on Spotify (in the UK at least) so it's my local mp3 files in the playlist. So you'll need to find those yourselves on Youtube or whatever.

Here's the round 1 playlist, all 7 hours of it: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/6gFvYt9J1cGfui6BboijDq?si=890205abeeff4204

Thanks Rich. I know the Sabbath material already anyway.

Check out The Omega Experiment. Its one of my all time favorites! I know lonestar digs it too.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2023, 01:49:07 PM »
I should've thought of Draconian...From some reason I thought Ariich was already familiar with them and I didn't check on RYM. Some real nice picks too, Litho!

I feel like that whole area of music is a bit opaque to most of DTF, so I wanted to open another window into it.  I don't think Tim or Luke would have the patience for them, so I was hoping ariich would be a better candidate.  :)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2023, 02:21:05 PM »
I'm making my way through subsequent listens well by the way. I'd already started on 2nd listens by the time I got Elite's entry (but to be clear, I didn't go back and edit any of the first impressions) and am now well into my third. I think there are probably a couple of real standouts (both of which I liked straight away but neither of which I saw as obvious round-winners), but a lot of other really good stuff too.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2023, 02:22:46 PM »
Is 8 too optimistic?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2023, 02:24:16 PM »
Is 8 too optimistic?
I mean, yes, but yours is also positive.

Oh and Chad's guesses were all wrong too.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2023, 02:24:53 PM »
iunno, 19?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2023, 02:29:09 PM »
Finding impressions again is really annoying on mobile, yknow  :P

Is #12 guessed. Or #21. I am not looking at impressions rn so they could both be idunnolol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2023, 02:32:42 PM »
Here's the latest:

Round 1 first impressions

[Litho – Draconian] 1. This immediately ticks a lot of boxes for me - grand, rich and melancholy.

2. A lot of the vocal style is something I’m more used to hearing in other genres, and the effect is kind of captivating.

[lonestar – Saiseiga] 3. Engaging and impressive vocals, but perhaps not fully supported by particularly engaging or impressive vocal lines.

4. This submission starts pretty rocking I guess but it’s the last song that sells it, could be one of the best things I’ve heard from this artist.

[Buddy – Obscure Sphinx] 5. This has a really big sound that’s very immersive and right up my alley.

[TAC – Circus of Fools] 6. Well, it’s punchy and epic and the gothic style is vibing well - let’s see how well the melodic hooks settle in with subsequent listens.

[HOF – Caroline's Spine] 7. This was perhaps a little middle-of-the-road, but enjoyable enough and one song seemed like a strong example of the genre.

[Crow – Birds in Row] 8. You’ve gone with a different approach to most, and it starts a little slowly, but once it got going it really hooked me in.

[Vmadera – Once Human] 9. Solid stuff and a very impressive and versatile vocalist, I just wonder if it’ll be enough to stand out among other strong submissions.

[faizoff – Metal Church] 10. Like most bands at the emergence of this genre, the focus on mood and aggression feels at the expense of melody, but the slightly later songs sound more interesting.

[Sacul – Kendrick Lamar] 11. First track was an… interesting choice, but after that it improved immensely and I'm glad my first listen was with earphones.

[luke – Deafheaven] 12. Lush and immersive, I can totally see why you sent me this.

[wolfking – Keep of Kalessin] 13. Punchier and more riff-driven than I might have expected, intense but not overbearing, and hella epic.

14. Conceptually weighty… not yet decided on how well the music matches up.

15. The moody music is good but the production feels like it could be a little flat.

[soupy – Seven Spires] 16. Wasn’t immediately convinced, but this quickly won me over with good hooks and a cool mix of styles.

[Reaper – Moon Tooth] 17. Digging the guitar work and slick overall sound, but not sure if there'll be enough in the way of interesting melodic hooks.

[romdrums – Sermon] 18. I can see the stylistic comparisons to the other artist you mentioned, but this may lack the rich emotionality I find so engaging about them.

19. The overall sound is among the least surprising submissions of the round, but there are some nice touches that help it stand out.

[Elite – Panzerballett] 20. Ok so I love the fusion of styles here and some of it is filthy, but it’s also pretty dense and I kind of wish some of the guitars had a bit more punch to compensate.

[King – The Native Howl] 21. Entertaining for sure, but very much the novelty submission of the round.

22. While this sounded pretty straightforward stylistically, it had a warm sound and some great tunes.

[Glasser – The Omega Experiment] 23. There’s a lot to unpack here, but the quirkiness and rich instrumentation remind me of an artist I like.

[nick_z – Lacrimas Profundere] 24. Moody, punchy, good hooks - sounds like a safe but solid start.

Yours is not 12, and 21 is taken.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 03:54:29 PM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - round 1 hangman!
« Reply #359 on: May 15, 2023, 02:33:10 PM »
Omega Experiment tracks are Terminus and Stimulus. Great fucking album.  :heart

Absolutely love this album. But please check this out below.

https://nospun.bandcamp.com/album/opus

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #360 on: May 15, 2023, 02:35:29 PM »
5? Maybe 2
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #362 on: May 15, 2023, 02:48:12 PM »
20?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #363 on: May 15, 2023, 02:52:33 PM »
Maybe 12 then?

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #364 on: May 15, 2023, 03:06:49 PM »
Oh and Chad's guesses were all wrong too.

I'll just wait it out then.  Process of elimination is my fastest route to figuring out impressions most of the time anyway.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #366 on: May 15, 2023, 03:43:28 PM »
8 is obviously seneca btw i don't think anyone pointed that out but

4 seems wrong bcuz i can't imagine you've checked out this band before, 14 and 22 don't make sense, so i guess one of 2 or 15?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #367 on: May 15, 2023, 03:53:55 PM »
No 8 is actually yours. :lol

I wrote it before I listened to seneca's submission, but anyway I said different "to most", not all.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #368 on: May 15, 2023, 03:59:00 PM »
I love how overconfident people are sometimes about matching other people's entries to impressions.   :corn :D

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #369 on: May 15, 2023, 04:18:36 PM »
well that's promising  :corn

Offline Glasser

« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:13:24 PM by Glasser »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #371 on: May 15, 2023, 10:21:23 PM »
Rich,  I resent round 2. Thank you for your patience.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #372 on: May 16, 2023, 09:32:37 AM »
I'm thinking 14...
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #373 on: May 16, 2023, 11:01:47 AM »
Rich, I resent getting my first impression wrong twice, kindly reveal it already. Thank you for your patience.

:P
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #374 on: May 16, 2023, 12:37:56 PM »
:lol Yeah ok, here's the lot:

Round 1 first impressions

[Litho – Draconian] 1. This immediately ticks a lot of boxes for me - grand, rich and melancholy.

[Evermind – Avatarium] 2. A lot of the vocal style is something I’m more used to hearing in other genres, and the effect is kind of captivating.

[lonestar – Saiseiga] 3. Engaging and impressive vocals, but perhaps not fully supported by particularly engaging or impressive vocal lines.

[Stadler – Black Sabbath] 4. This submission starts pretty rocking I guess but it’s the last song that sells it, could be one of the best things I’ve heard from this artist.

[Buddy – Obscure Sphinx] 5. This has a really big sound that’s very immersive and right up my alley.

[TAC – Circus of Fools] 6. Well, it’s punchy and epic and the gothic style is vibing well - let’s see how well the melodic hooks settle in with subsequent listens.

[HOF – Caroline's Spine] 7. This was perhaps a little middle-of-the-road, but enjoyable enough and one song seemed like a strong example of the genre.

[Crow – Birds in Row] 8. You’ve gone with a different approach to most, and it starts a little slowly, but once it got going it really hooked me in.

[Vmadera – Once Human] 9. Solid stuff and a very impressive and versatile vocalist, I just wonder if it’ll be enough to stand out among other strong submissions.

[faizoff – Metal Church] 10. Like most bands at the emergence of this genre, the focus on mood and aggression feels at the expense of melody, but the slightly later songs sound more interesting.

[Sacul – Kendrick Lamar] 11. First track was an… interesting choice, but after that it improved immensely and I'm glad my first listen was with earphones.

[luke – Deafheaven] 12. Lush and immersive, I can totally see why you sent me this.

[wolfking – Keep of Kalessin] 13. Punchier and more riff-driven than I might have expected, intense but not overbearing, and hella epic.

[seneca – Mount Eerie] 14. Conceptually weighty… not yet decided on how well the music matches up.

[Puppies – Altar of Plagues] 15. The moody music is good but the production feels like it could be a little flat.

[soupy – Seven Spires] 16. Wasn’t immediately convinced, but this quickly won me over with good hooks and a cool mix of styles.

[Reaper – Moon Tooth] 17. Digging the guitar work and slick overall sound, but not sure if there'll be enough in the way of interesting melodic hooks.

[romdrums – Sermon] 18. I can see the stylistic comparisons to the other artist you mentioned, but this may lack the rich emotionality I find so engaging about them.

[Luoto – Slow Fall] 19. The overall sound is among the least surprising submissions of the round, but there are some nice touches that help it stand out.

[Elite – Panzerballett] 20. Ok so I love the fusion of styles here and some of it is filthy, but it’s also pretty dense and I kind of wish some of the guitars had a bit more punch to compensate.

[King – The Native Howl] 21. Entertaining for sure, but very much the novelty submission of the round.

[jingle – Vandroya] 22. While this sounded pretty straightforward stylistically, it had a warm sound and some great tunes.

[Glasser – The Omega Experiment] 23. There’s a lot to unpack here, but the quirkiness and rich instrumentation remind me of an artist I like.

[nick_z – Lacrimas Profundere] 24. Moody, punchy, good hooks - sounds like a safe but solid start.

Results MIGHT be tomorrow, but more likely Thursday.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #375 on: May 16, 2023, 12:42:25 PM »
Would've never guessed 2. If I had to guess, my next guess was going to be 15 (Puppies' impression).
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #376 on: May 16, 2023, 12:47:24 PM »
In the first round, with 3 times the music at least, and you still managed to lap both Crow and Tomislav easily  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #377 on: May 16, 2023, 01:39:05 PM »
Would've never guessed 2. If I had to guess, my next guess was going to be 15 (Puppies' impression).
Yeah it wasn't especially obvious and to be honest I don't feel as strongly that way after subsequent listens. On first listen I got more of an indie/pop/soul vibe from a lot of the vocals, especially in the first song which may have then influenced my initial reaction to the rest.

In the first round, with 3 times the music at least, and you still managed to lap both Crow and Tomislav easily  :lol
Yeah I'm nothing if not productive when it comes to roulettes. :lol Rather than the weekly schedule I maintained last time (and possibly the time before?), I'm minded to go for more like 10 days this time and give myself time to really do at least four solid listens to every submission, with a fifth accompanying write-ups.

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #378 on: May 16, 2023, 01:45:42 PM »
Yeah I'm nothing if not productive when it comes to roulettes. :lol

I can get on board with this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #379 on: May 16, 2023, 02:21:29 PM »
Yeah I'm nothing if not productive when it comes to roulettes. :lol

I can get on board with this.

the two of you definitely set a high bar. I'm actually nervous to keep up with you knuckleheads when I run mine.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #380 on: May 16, 2023, 02:35:38 PM »
It seems probably over time each host develops their own flavor of how they run things, and people eventually gravitate to what suits their own style (and some people just join everything regardless). 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #381 on: May 16, 2023, 02:59:07 PM »
i make no attempt to keep up with this pace because i am busy running a youtube channel that takes up a lot of my free time  :lol
i am also currently aiming to get my results out thursday but might try to start writeups today and get everything done by tomorrow, we'll see

Offline Glasser

« Reply #382 on: May 16, 2023, 07:58:47 PM »
I know this is easy for all of you but I feel like I'm not doing it right and feel totally out of place.  :|

Offline HOF

« Reply #383 on: May 16, 2023, 08:01:16 PM »
I know this is easy for all of you but I feel like I'm not doing it right and feel totally out of place.  :|

There‘a no right or wrong. You just send the tunes you think the host will like, then sit back and enjoy the ride!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #384 on: May 16, 2023, 08:04:01 PM »

You're fine dude, and I'd guess you have a decent shot at winning Rd 1