Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 91326 times)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3605 on: March 20, 2024, 10:13:32 PM »
I also tend to gravitate towards Hvel these days.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3606 on: March 21, 2024, 06:06:15 AM »
I need to give Andrew W.K. another chance. Admittedly I haven't heard anything by him in years and I didn't really care for the party stuff earlier.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #3607 on: March 21, 2024, 06:45:05 AM »
I need to give Andrew W.K. another chance. Admittedly I haven't heard anything by him in years and I didn't really care for the party stuff earlier.

The tune someone gave Indi in his roulette was pretty cool.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3608 on: March 21, 2024, 06:49:18 AM »

I'll go give it a spin now!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3609 on: March 21, 2024, 06:54:08 AM »

I'll go give it a spin now!

it was I Made It.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3610 on: March 21, 2024, 07:45:56 AM »
Yeah that's on the latest album too, it really is such a step up from his previous stuff (that I've heard anyway). Has that balance of fun and sincerity that I tend to enjoy with a good dose of strong hooks.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3611 on: March 21, 2024, 11:36:44 AM »
Yea, everyone needs to check out the new Andrew WK. Rich, I can't really disagree with anything you said. I loved Party Hard when it came out, but I never got the album at the time. I came back around to it in like '13 and downloaded all his previous albums. None of them compared to his debut, but I made sure to check out new releases.

Part of the reason I remained interested in him was his social media and blogs, in which he talked about the power of "partying". The guy clearly helped many people through dark times, has such a positive outlook on life, and is a really intelligent guy (especially with emotional intelligence I would say).

When God is Partying came out I was stunned. It's like some meatloaf inspired Sci fi/prog rock opera, and I LOVED it. Its such a huge step up from a backcatalogue that is patchy at best.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 12:59:32 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #3612 on: March 21, 2024, 11:47:16 AM »
Great composer and producer of grandiose and energetic moods. Should definitely find his Meatloaf and stop singing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3613 on: March 27, 2024, 08:36:57 AM »
More EP artists!

Bang Camaro (sent by Vmadera/Lonk)
I went with their second album, being the one you included a song from as well as their best rated on RYM. It’s an enjoyable album, pretty accessible straightforward hard rock. All the songs are pretty good but to be honest not much stands out - the tracks I enjoy most are Night Lies (which you sent me) and Can’t Stop the Night (which has a fun tempo to it), the rest all kind of blur together. Fun enough, but I’d have liked it if there was a little more variety and/or more in the way of catchy hooks.

Barock Project (sent by King)
I’d heard Detachment before, which I liked but didn’t wow me. I gave a good few listens to Seven Seas which you included a song from on your EP, a song that I liked a lot. And it’s again a good album but not one that really hooks me in. Ashes is still a really great song, and Cold Fog is really good too. Good hooks through both songs and a fantastic blend of melancholic quieter sections and dramatic proggy sections. The rest of the album is nice enough, with some of the softer stuff especially attractive, but I’m not really finding it very memorable or engaging, other than the last minute of Moving On which is terrific fun.

Bat For Lashes (sent by nick_z)
I’ve been listening to Two Suns, which you sent Two Songs from, and she has a pretty compelling art pop style but I’m not finding myself hugely getting into it beyond a handful of songs. The two you sent are really good, as are Pearl’s Dream and The Big Sleep which I kind of love as a short closer to the album. The rest is a mix of either pleasant but unexciting songs or unusual ones that don’t quite hit the mark. The production does also feel a little… muted perhaps? I do wonder if a fuller sound might have given some of these songs a bit more impact.

Blacktop Mojo (sent by Vmadera/Lonk)
It Won’t Last was my favourite song from your EP, so I was looking forward to checking out Under the Sun, and was not disappointed. From that song, I hadn’t picked up the fact that their style is largely a sort of post-grungey alternative rock, very Alter Bridge for a lot of it and at times reminiscent of other bands (some moments on this album kind of remind me of a male-fronted Halestorm). I’ve checked out the rest and the other albums don’t quite stack up. The first two are a bit more middle of the road, solid enough but lacking in strong hooks. The latest has more of a dynamic and varied approach, and it has a few great songs on it, but also quite a bit of filler. Whereas Under the Sun has the variety and a ton of strong hooks and it’s just a really enjoyable album.

Car Seat Headrest (sent by Crow)
So, Twin Fantasy (Those Boys) wasn’t my favourite from your EP, but I did really like the middle section and so I gave the full album a listen and it’s good, but also a bit of a mixed bag. It starts and ends well, with both the short intro and that song I already knew being some quite engaging and emotive indie rock. There’s some really good stuff in between too, but not quite enough of it I think. I’m a little picky anyway when it comes to the type of indie with mumbling and slightly off-key singing - some artists just make it work and that’s the case with a few songs here (I rather like the energy of Sober to Death and Cute Thing in particular, and the two big epics have some wonderful moments them but they also drag quite a bit).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3614 on: March 27, 2024, 08:49:04 AM »
If this is going alphabetically, I could get all my artists (Lisa-X, Little Lilith, Mary's Blood) in one drop lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3615 on: March 27, 2024, 08:55:43 AM »
Barock Project has a new single out and a new album in May.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3616 on: March 27, 2024, 09:21:14 AM »
No Pizza Death?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3617 on: March 27, 2024, 12:28:30 PM »
If this is going alphabetically, I could get all my artists (Lisa-X, Little Lilith, Mary's Blood) in one drop lol
Hasn't noticed that but yeah, I'll likely splurge through those in two consecutive updates. :lol

No Pizza Death?
Failure to understand alphabetical order.

Even though I'm confident they won't be for me, I've got Pizza Death on my list to check out purely for curiosity. When I get there, should I listen to the debut or the recent one?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3618 on: March 27, 2024, 12:50:42 PM »
Even though I'm confident they won't be for me, I've got Pizza Death on my list to check out purely for curiosity. When I get there, should I listen to the debut or the recent one?

You can listen to both albums in under 50 minutes, so do both! I recommend ordering in a really good pizza when you listen though, get the full experience.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3619 on: March 27, 2024, 01:07:28 PM »
If he commits to the death part he's not going to get to at least one of my artists though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3620 on: March 27, 2024, 01:10:36 PM »
they should release pizza murder (a murder of crows enjoying pizza together)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3621 on: March 27, 2024, 01:16:15 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3622 on: March 27, 2024, 01:21:38 PM »
After the disappointing Grandma's Pizza I had last week, now I'm craving a good slice
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3623 on: April 19, 2024, 09:54:41 AM »
Things slowed down as I was away for the Easter holidays, but back up and running now so here's a few more!

Currents (sent by Evermind)
This is some really good metalcore. I ended up diving into their entire catalogue as I was liking what I was hearing. Their debut is kind of… not very good. :lol Like, most of the same stylistic qualities are there and there are some good moments, but the sound is a little weak and the songwriting not that interesting. The rest has mostly been great. The EP they did, I Let the Devil In, isn’t entirely grabbing me so far, but the other three LPs are all excellent. Really big sound, intensely heavy at times but with lots of atmosphere and some very melodic epic stuff. Even though the song you had on your EP disrupted the flow a little, it was great in itself and I’m glad you included it.

Deadlock (sent by Litho)
Interesting band that blends a few different styles. The ones you’d sent felt largely in a melodeath style, but throughout their discography there are some big metalcore and symphonic metal influences as well, and each album is a little different. None of them are that consistently up my alley but they all have good stuff on. The two that have the best balance overall for my tastes are Manifesto and Bizarro World, which despite a few weaker tracks are both pretty great albums overall. Earth.Revolt is more straight up melodeath and it’s a good album, but I think they benefited from more of the clean vocals and variety of sound they started expanding on after that. The other albums are… a little messy maybe, but they’re all solid 7/10s and have a few really good songs.

deadmau5 (sent by faizoff)
I’d never really bothered to check out his stuff before, not sure why. It’s kind of a mixed bag but he’s made some really good stuff. Some of his material is pretty slow and at times it works - where the way he develops the layers can sometimes make it captivating - but other times it drags. And some of his stuff is more direct and straightforward, which can be fun when highly melodic or quite boring at other times. I’ve checked out most of his full albums and most have some great tracks on but not enough to really grab me. There are three albums that have stuck with me so far though. For Lack of a Better Name obviously has the benefit of Strobe, which you sent, but it’s also a strong album in general - the middle is a little weak but the start and end are really strong. >album title goes here< doesn’t seem to be very popular, but it’s just a really fun album (the only one of his in this style that actually works, IMO). And While(1<2) seems to be his most respected release and I can see why, it has so much good stuff on it, although I do prefer the continuous mix version because it all blends together much better and doesn’t drag on so long.

Derek Sherinian (sent by romdrums)
I gave a good few listens to Vortex, and while it was largely along the lines I expected, it was still quite a nice surprise. Before your EP, I hadn’t appreciated how prominently his stuff including elements of jazz fusion, at least recently (I’d heard bits and pieces of earlier output and it wasn’t the type of instrumental prog I tend to find very interesting). Much of the album is still very much instrumental prog, but it has a fusion vibe, a jazziness and a sense of… playfulness maybe? Still not sure I love it, but I enjoyed each listen more than I might have expected to and am glad I checked it out. Some top-notch guest performances on this album as well.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3624 on: April 19, 2024, 07:45:12 PM »
Deadlock (sent by Litho)
Interesting band that blends a few different styles. The ones you’d sent felt largely in a melodeath style, but throughout their discography there are some big metalcore and symphonic metal influences as well, and each album is a little different. None of them are that consistently up my alley but they all have good stuff on. The two that have the best balance overall for my tastes are Manifesto and Bizarro World, which despite a few weaker tracks are both pretty great albums overall. Earth.Revolt is more straight up melodeath and it’s a good album, but I think they benefited from more of the clean vocals and variety of sound they started expanding on after that. The other albums are… a little messy maybe, but they’re all solid 7/10s and have a few really good songs.

I'd argue the trance metal influences are even more present, with bits of gothic metal here and there, but yeah, they're not really afraid of experimenting.  You should have seen the reaction to the hip-hop break and the saxophone solo on Manifesto when it came out.  :lol  I was confounded when some people seemed to think Amaranthe was a novel band, when Deadlock had done almost all of the same things already.  It looks like the main release you didn't get to (besides the super-early demos and such that are more for completionists) is The Arrival.  The ideas are more unrefined, but it ironically has one of their more "proggy" tracks if you want to sample it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bTpdnp4GB0
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:44:16 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Online nick_z

« Reply #3625 on: April 20, 2024, 06:37:37 AM »

Bat For Lashes (sent by nick_z)
I’ve been listening to Two Suns, which you sent Two Songs from, and she has a pretty compelling art pop style but I’m not finding myself hugely getting into it beyond a handful of songs. The two you sent are really good, as are Pearl’s Dream and The Big Sleep which I kind of love as a short closer to the album. The rest is a mix of either pleasant but unexciting songs or unusual ones that don’t quite hit the mark. The production does also feel a little… muted perhaps? I do wonder if a fuller sound might have given some of these songs a bit more impact.

I had totally missed this update! Yes, I agree with pretty much everything you said about Two Suns. I overall enjoy it a fair bit, but it's true that there are some obvious highlights and the rest doesn't quite stick as much.  Moon and Moon truly is hauntingly beautiful, though.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3626 on: April 20, 2024, 08:45:12 AM »
Things slowed down as I was away for the Easter holidays, but back up and running now so here's a few more!

Currents (sent by Evermind)
This is some really good metalcore. I ended up diving into their entire catalogue as I was liking what I was hearing. Their debut is kind of… not very good. :lol Like, most of the same stylistic qualities are there and there are some good moments, but the sound is a little weak and the songwriting not that interesting. The rest has mostly been great. The EP they did, I Let the Devil In, isn’t entirely grabbing me so far, but the other three LPs are all excellent. Really big sound, intensely heavy at times but with lots of atmosphere and some very melodic epic stuff. Even though the song you had on your EP disrupted the flow a little, it was great in itself and I’m glad you included it.

Yeah, as I said (I think I mentioned that to you) their latest two albums are the strongest in my opinion. Solid band and I'm not really into metalcore that much.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3627 on: April 23, 2024, 03:08:47 PM »
I'd argue the trance metal influences are even more present, with bits of gothic metal here and there, but yeah, they're not really afraid of experimenting.
Yes definitely. I guess I see the metalcore and symphonic metal influences as more a contributor to their overall ongoing sound rather than necessarily many discrete sections that are overtly in those styles, whereas the other influences tends to appear in specific places, if that makes sense. 

You should have seen the reaction to the hip-hop break and the saxophone solo on Manifesto when it came out.  :lol 
I can only imagine. :lol Doesn't bother me at all though, I really like that song. :P

I might check out their debut at some point but I'm not making any particular plans to, happy to spend more time with the songs and albums of theirs that I'm enjoying.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3628 on: April 23, 2024, 03:09:26 PM »
Anyway, updates!

Dolly Parton (sent by Glasser)
As you know, your EP wasn't the most inspiring for artists to check out, even if it did entertain me immensely. But hilarity aside, if there's a positive thing I took from it, it was finally checking out some Dolly Parton. I'd not really realised how good some of her songs are. I've spent a bit of time with the Heartsongs live album, which PMs Blues came from, and also with Jolene (being her biggest hit) as well as one of her many best of complications. I've not loved any of them in their entirety but they've all been enjoyable, I have a better sense of her style, voice and personality, and found a bunch of songs across them that I really like a lot. That includes the song Jolene which I've obviously heard lots before but never actually appreciated how damn good it is.

Downes Braide Association (sent by King)
You sent me a really lovely song from Halcyon Hymns so that was of course the album I’ve checked out. It’s… kind of an odd one really and yet also a little safe. I’m quite familiar with Geoff Downes from Asia, who I’ve quite liked but have never wholly grabbed me. Not heard of Chris Braide before but his credentials seem largely centred around film scores and pop music, and those influences are an interesting blend with Downes’ very traditional prog/AOR stylings. But despite some nice flourishes here and there, and the cinematic narration which to be honest is a little distracting and doesn’t quite work for me, it’s ultimately a pretty straightforward bit of prog rock. It’s nice, and a handful of songs are fantastic (the aforementioned Your Heart Will Find a Way of course, plus King of the Sunset and Hymn to Darkness - when they go soulful they make some absolutely gorgeous music). But the rest is a bit vanilla for me.

Existem (sent by TAC)
This is some really solid prog metal with a hint of melodeath in there. You included a song from their most recent EP, so that was the obvious starting point for me. Took a song or two to get into on first listen, but by the end of it I was sold, and repeat listens only opened it up further. There’s a hint of Haken in there definitely, but not in a derivative way and the melodeath influences give it its own flavour. I then worked backwards from there and the latest LP from 2018, Mantle, is also excellent and quite similar in a way, although made up of a larger number of shorter songs. The earlier material doesn’t seem quite so strong, although 2014’s Phoenix EP is one that’s grown on me and I’m digging quite a bit now. Feels like it was a shift in style to what they then refined with the two releases since. The album before though is pretty weak and on that basis I didn’t bother with their first EP.

Fen (sent by Puppies)
As you know I’ve heard another Fen album before (thanks to you), which I quite liked but I didn’t love. But the song included on your EP this time I liked a lot, so I decided to give them another shot and have given a few listens to Carrion Skies. And… I don’t think it’s really changed my mind much, though I do like it more than I remember liking Winter. There are some distinct sections of songs that I love. The second half of The Dying Stars is gorgeous, the middle section of Menhir - Supplicant is excellent too, and there’s some really good stuff in part 2 of Our Names Written in Embers. If more of the album made me feel the way those best bits did, I could see myself loving it, but too much of it just drones on a little for my tastes.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #3629 on: April 23, 2024, 03:34:50 PM »
Yes definitely. I guess I see the metalcore and symphonic metal influences as more a contributor to their overall ongoing sound rather than necessarily many discrete sections that are overtly in those styles, whereas the other influences tends to appear in specific places, if that makes sense.

It's both a shift over time and also more of a song-by-song basis.  Sabine started off as basically a session keyboard player who would contribute the occasional vocal part on the early albums.  Her keyboard playing is more standard piano/strings (I hear various European 90s gothic metal influences, along with later more dashes of traditional gothic rock like their Sisters of Mercy "Temple of Love" cover).  Sebastian (band leader/songwriter/lead guitarist/synth programming) found that they worked well together, but as she became a full member and took on more of a lead vocal role her keyboard work was more limited to specific tracks, and Sebastian kept expanding the electronic element of the band as his keyboard style is more in that arena. 

The metalcore influence is kind of similar, I definitely hear it more noticeably on their earlier material, but it dissipates over time and I hear way more 90s/early 00s In Flames and Soilwork-style influences than breakdowns and such.  00s melodic metalcore and the contemporary melodeath waves were always kind of parallel anyway, given "metalcore" more broadly can also mean so many other earlier and later variations that sound much different. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 03:41:52 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3630 on: April 23, 2024, 03:46:19 PM »
have you heard winter, that's the only fen album that rlly did anything for me

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3631 on: April 24, 2024, 06:42:27 AM »
Damn I completely forgot that Dolly was sent as part of this roulette

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3632 on: April 24, 2024, 02:25:37 PM »
00s melodic metalcore and the contemporary melodeath waves were always kind of parallel anyway, given "metalcore" more broadly can also mean so many other earlier and later variations that sound much different. 
Yeah this is true. I don't get too het up about narrowly-defined genres because eventually it all becomes a little meaningless. :lol

have you heard winter, that's the only fen album that rlly did anything for me
Yeah that was the other one I heard but I had a pretty similar feeling about. Quite like the band but I think they're not quite for me really.

Damn I completely forgot that Dolly was sent as part of this roulette
I've no idea if Tom is even a fan or if PMS Blues was simply included to cap off the theme. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3633 on: April 26, 2024, 06:11:46 AM »
Quicker update this time thanks to no deep dives into big discographies!

Field Music (sent by HOF)
Really interesting band this, if not as consistently engaging as I might have hoped, especially after the success of Sweet Billy Pilgrim who have some similarities. I like the sound and style these guys have, a sort of experimental indie with some infusions of a more classic prog sound here and there. The experimentation and general variety of ideas is fun too. It worked really well on your EP for two reasons - you picked some good songs, and it was in a small dose mixed in with something else. In a full release though, I realise that there’s not a great deal that hooks me in melodically. The big exception is Disappointed which I absolutely love, and a few other songs across both Commontime and Field Music (Measure), which were the albums I’ve given a try, are also very nice. But on Measure especially, it’s just such a long album and never really grounds itself in something more accessible or catchy in the way I’d like it to.

Fish (sent by Stadler)
Having never really got into any era of Marillion, I doubt I'd have bothered to check out any of Fish's stuff had you not included the title track from Sunsets on Empire (which I liked a lot both in itself and as part of the emotional arc of your EP). I've been listening to that album and it's good. There are some songs that, more than anything else Marillion-related I've heard, immerse me emotionally. These are mainly concentrated at the bookends though. The title track and the opener are both excellent in different ways, while Goldfish and Clowns is also very good and the closer works as an engaging coda. Everything in between is less interesting, unfortunately. There's some experimentation in sound at least, like the grungy industrial rock of What Colour is God, but it doesn't quite pay off, while other songs are too middle of the road for me.

Hardline (sent by jingle)
Well now, this is one of the nice surprises of the roulette. Not that I didn’t like the songs from their debut that you included in your EP, as you know I enjoyed them a lot, but with the style and sound being very vanilla I didn’t necessarily set high expectations for a whole album. And yeah stylistically there’s absolutely nothing new or unique about this, but it’s a damn good album anyway. Great energy and charisma, and lots of strong hooks. I’ve tried a couple of their subsequent albums (II and Danger Zone) and they’re not nearly as good. In the 10 years between the first two albums it seems they had a change of line-up and a slight shift in sound with a little more 90s alternative rock in there. There are some good songs definitely (mainly on Great Danger) but even those aren’t that exciting, and the rest are a little bland.

Harmonix Music Systems (sent by Buddy)
Managed to find this video game soundtrack on Youtube - doesn’t seem to be the highest quality upload but fine to get a sense of the music and sound design. There’s some very cool stuff on here but it’s a bit of a mixed bag. Really digging tracks like Perfect Brain, Break For Me and Dalatecht - great sounds, catchy hooks and some fun groove. Energize is another fun one, straightforward and using some pretty cliched sounds but very enjoyable. I also like that there’s lots of variety - I guess because it’s a soundtrack for a music-based video game? - but that’s also where it falls down a little because quite a few of the tracks just don’t really do anything for me at all. Anyway I’ll see if I can find a way to get downloads of the tracks I like as I’d like to be able to return to those ones.

Horizon Ignited (sent by TAC)
Good grief the In Flames influence is very up front here. :lol The band has a lot of potential that I’m not sure they’re fully realising yet. Each time I listen to the album it starts well. The performances are tight, the sound is clear and punchy, and as In Flames copies go they do a solid job, especially in the verses - you could have told me half these verses were actually by IF and I’d have believed you. But ultimately these songs have neither the melodic richness of earlier IF or the catchy hooks of the good bits of their more recent output. I like the idea of the clean vocals on this album, but his voice isn’t that interesting and neither are the melodies. If they can refine their sound and songwriting a bit, they could end up being a really strong melodeath band.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:03:43 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3634 on: April 26, 2024, 06:35:14 AM »
Damn... I wish I'd counselled you on your Hardline attempt.  II is absolute trash.  And Great Danger is ... I'm not sure what that is.  Never heard of that album by them.  Do you mean Human Nature?  Danger Zone?

If I'd made a recommendation, it would've been Leaving the End Open.  Try the title track (it's only 5:45) for that if you want (care?) to try something more representative of them.

Their debut is strong because Neal Schon wrote and produced it ;D.  The brothers tried to do II on their own with some D-list session player helping with the writing and production, and it's tripe.  Leaving the End Open was on Frontiers (before Frontiers became a cookie cutter factory of mostly shit), and was a return to form.  Everything after that is pretty decent, but a victim of Frontier's quantity over quality approach to Melodic Rock.  They aren't really a band anymore, with constant turnover in the band to support Gioelli on the mic.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3635 on: April 26, 2024, 06:55:43 AM »
Goldfish and Clowns is one of my favorite Fish solo tracks.  :heart

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3636 on: April 26, 2024, 07:47:09 AM »
Energize is a fucking banger yeah. Really the whole final third of the album (Supraspatial to Dalatecht, ignoring Wayfarer cuz that's basically a bonus) is awesome. If you do want higher quality versions of the songs, let me know! I was able to find them on Reddit, I'm almost certain uploaded by some disgruntled dev (the soundtrack never got a full official release) :lol
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 08:00:56 AM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3637 on: April 26, 2024, 08:07:08 AM »
Damn... I wish I'd counselled you on your Hardline attempt.  II is absolute trash.  And Great Danger is ... I'm not sure what that is.  Never heard of that album by them.  Do you mean Human Nature?  Danger Zone?
I do indeed mean Danger Zone, no idea what happened when I was writing that. :lol

If I'd made a recommendation, it would've been Leaving the End Open.  Try the title track (it's only 5:45) for that if you want (care?) to try something more representative of them.
Alright you've convinced me to give that album a try (I'd rather that than just one song anyway). I went with II simply because it was the next album after the one I liked a lot (and RYM rating wasn't much lower than the rest), and Danger Zone seemed to be quite well reviewed. Didn't actively skip over Leaving the End Open, so what the hell let's give it a try.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3638 on: April 26, 2024, 08:08:41 AM »
Energize is a fucking banger yeah. Really the whole final third of the album (Supraspatial to Dalatecht, ignoring Wayfarer cuz that's basically a bonus) is awesome. If you do want higher quality versions of the songs, let me know! I was able to find them on Reddit, I'm almost certain uploaded by some disgruntled dev (the soundtrack never got a full official release) :lol
Yeah Wayfarer is the only track that I actually find actively annoying. :lol The run up to it is pretty strong though, yeah.

I might well take you up on that offer, seeing as there doesn't seem to be any other way to get these tracks. I'll give it one more listen and let you known which ones it would be good to have.

I be am boner inducing.