Author Topic: OPPENHEIMER - New Trailer Out Now!  (Read 2479 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 09:53:47 AM by MinistroRaven »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: OPPENHEIMER - New Trailer Out Now!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2023, 08:38:09 AM »
I'm so pumped for this one.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2023, 08:47:47 AM »
Can't wait for this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2023, 02:54:30 PM »
Saw it in front of Guardians 3 yesterday. EPIC.  :metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2023, 09:49:58 AM »
Have my tickets for 9 p.m. tonight. Really looking forward to it in IMAX.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 10:05:59 AM »
I'll probably catch it Saturday afternoon, it's supposed to be in triple digits where I live, so 3 hours in a movie theater will be perfect.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2023, 11:59:31 AM »
Have my tickets for 9 p.m. tonight. Really looking forward to it in IMAX.

Same here, IMAX with Laser, whatever that means. Apparently the best format to watch according to Nolan is IMAX 70mm film  which only 25 theaters in the US have it, then next best option is 70mm film. I have the 2nd option close to me but already bought the IMAX with laser seats. The 70mm printed film reel of this movie is apparently 11 miles long and weights 600 pounds. I read on reddit that the IMAX ones don't have trailers so have to be there on time. Not sure that applies to my tickets.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2023, 12:13:59 PM »
I've got a ticket for IMAX (not 70mm) for Saturday morning. Very excited for this one.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2023, 02:37:13 PM »
I know mine is 70mm. I don't know what Laser means. From what I understand there is 35mm IMAX and 70mm IMAX.

Either way, it will be intense.

Online faizoff

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2023, 02:51:41 PM »
After reading about it a little, it looks like IMAX with laser is a projector with lasers as compared to the older xenon projector. either way they are both digital format projects in the IMAX aspect ratio. Now it most likely looks like it won't be the true IMAX aspect ratio of 1.43:1. The digital IMAX are more like 1.90:1 which I guess is not considered a "true" IMAX ratio.

Either way like you said it should be great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2023, 08:21:28 AM »
The word I used, "intense," is exactly what the film is, from beginning to end. It was a shade under 3 hours. There's nothing to spoil really, so here are my thoughts.

Nolan's use of color and black and white to denote time period is brilliant. This isn't just a bio pic. It's a thriller and mystery film wrapped in a historical veil of truth. There are so many aspects to comprehend. There's the political arena, the mental stability (or instability) of Robert Oppenheimer and his genius. There's his very complicated personal life which plays a key role in shaping the things he does. There is just so much to unpack. Use of sound is also absolutely stunning. Not just explosion, but cries heard, noises, it was a complete immersion into the film.

I only just started reading the biography of Oppenheimer that Nolan used as his base to craft the script. I obviously knew about the Manhattan Project, and who Oppenheimer was and his role. What I didn't know was just how conflicted he was about what he did after he did it. What I have read so far (a couple chapters in) depicts a man of privilege. I didn't necessary get that from the film. The incident with the apple (I'll be vague) sets up the whole film in my mind. In actuality, that whole scene sums up the whole film.

If you like Nolan's filmmaking, you'll love Oppenheimer. It is intense, makes you pay attention, has all the elements that make him the premier (in my mind) filmmaker of this century. But this isn't for the casual "let's go see a biopic on the atomic bomb guy" crowd. This movie makes you think, not just about history, but about the human race, and how many faces one must wear to get through life and the pressures those deemed historic figures indeed face.

Biopic, mystery, thriller, history, mental health, and humanity are all examined with Nolan's Oppenheimer, and you leave the theater exhausted from the sheer scope.

I got four hours sleep. Should have done the 5 p.m. show instead of the 9 p.m. one.  :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2023, 09:37:45 AM »
The IMAX theater I went to was excellent, not as great as Dolby but I really liked the screen size, it was one of those 1.90:1 ratio ones. I'm curious to watch it on 70 mm if I get the chance.

The biggest mistake I made was going to see a 3 hour long dialog heavy movie at 9 pm after a long tiring 14 hour day of work. I was exhausted and kept nodding off during parts of the movie.
I will have to see it again as I missed so much of who's who and what their roles were.

There are apparently no CGI shots in the movie, if that is indeed true, kudos. It's an amazing technical showcase of everything. Excellent acting and man the cast was stacked with notable actors throughout. So many great performances throughout.

I have to admit like Samsara I didn't know much about Oppenheimer other than he was involved in the Manhattan Project. It was intriguing to see all other aspects of his life. I'm going to track that book too, sounds very interesting.

The sound design was fantastic, some scenes were just so intense the way they sounded, like the stage scene with the stomping, the Trinity test, several others.. The music was excellent too, Ludwig's score is very engaging.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2023, 09:55:13 AM »
I didn't nod off, but same on regretting the 9 p.m. showing. I was absolutely exhausted by the end.

YES on the sound design. the stomping, the screams, just wonderfully done. It'll get nominated for a ton of awards, but that sound - I'd be shocked if it doesn't win a ton of hardware.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2023, 07:34:58 PM »
I want to see this so bad but I won't make a theater anytime soon, especially with work about to start up. How long does it take for a movie to become available online these days?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2023, 07:50:07 PM »
I didn't nod off, but same on regretting the 9 p.m. showing. I was absolutely exhausted by the end.

YES on the sound design. the stomping, the screams, just wonderfully done. It'll get nominated for a ton of awards, but that sound - I'd be shocked if it doesn't win a ton of hardware.

Haven't seen it, probably will go tomorrow, and do the 70mm in the coming weeks (it's totally sold out this weekend), but just to address that last part, I think technical awards will definitely come down to this and Dune 2, I'd imagine the sound for that will be on part with part 1, which was jaw dropping.

Offline twanky

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2023, 02:29:20 AM »
Saw the film yesterday. Outstanding
Remember, when you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It is only painful for others.
The same applies when you are stupid.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2023, 01:37:03 PM »
Oppenheimer was just stupid good. If RDJ doesn't win an Oscar it will be a major upset.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2023, 02:36:25 PM »
Just got out, totally blown away by how good it was. Never thought a 3 hour biopic could keep me on the edge of my seat for 3 hours.

Oppenheimer was just stupid good. If RDJ doesn't win an Oscar it will be a major upset.

There aren't enough acting awards to go around for this one, everyone was amazing

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2023, 03:29:33 PM »

There aren't enough acting awards to go around for this one, everyone was amazing

True enough. I wouldn't be mad if Cillian, RDJ, and Emily all took home statues.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2023, 03:38:26 PM »

True enough. I wouldn't be mad if Cillian, RDJ, and Emily all took home statues.

Oh the lot, I think Emily's performance was best, goddamn was she impressive, and such a well written role.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2023, 05:28:34 PM »
Caught a showing of this earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Amazing performances all around, especially for RDJ and Emily Blunt, who stole several scenes they were each in.

The score by Ludwig Göransson also really added a lot to the film, enhancing the intensity of the drama. Cillian Murphy deserves an Oscar for this.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2023, 08:56:06 AM »
Caught a showing of this earlier today and thoroughly enjoyed it. Amazing performances all around, especially for RDJ and Emily Blunt, who stole several scenes they were each in.

The score by Ludwig Göransson also really added a lot to the film, enhancing the intensity of the drama. Cillian Murphy deserves an Oscar for this.

-Marc.

Ronnie James Dio is in this?    Wait... sorry... ;) :) :) :)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2023, 09:00:51 AM »
It’s so hard to find a good ticket to an imax showing in the next week or so. And it’s impossible to find a good seat for a imax 70mm. It’s insane. I’ll keep looking but it might be a few weeks til I can see this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2023, 09:30:28 AM »
Saw this yesterday, absolutely brilliant. Definitely worth the deal I made to see Barbie on Wednesday as a result.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2023, 11:22:26 AM »
Unlike Nick, I didn't have to make a deal to go see Barbie (thank God).  :lol But I am going a second time (in IMAX) this week. Just so good.

At first, I didn't realize it was RDJ. But yes, phenomenal acting. Same with Emily Blunt. And Cillian...please just give him Best Actor. Blown away by him. (Not unexpectedly.)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2023, 12:45:24 PM »
Unlike Nick, I didn't have to make a deal to go see Barbie (thank God).  :lol But I am going a second time (in IMAX) this week. Just so good.

At first, I didn't realize it was RDJ. But yes, phenomenal acting. Same with Emily Blunt. And Cillian...please just give him Best Actor. Blown away by him. (Not unexpectedly.)

I can totally see the three of them sweeping their respective awards.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2023, 01:48:52 PM »

Let's give Ludwig Goransson the Oscar for best film score as well. It wasn't just music, but a sonic soundscape that really helped shape the film over-all. Every time I hear his work, be it for film or tv, he just hits the nail on the head every time.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2023, 02:08:04 PM »
I've been looking for the film score on CD and haven't found it. Is it not out yet?

Online faizoff

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2023, 02:30:30 PM »
I've been looking for the film score on CD and haven't found it. Is it not out yet?

Not out on CD yet, but on streaming sites

Spotify link.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2023, 03:38:00 PM »

Let's give Ludwig Goransson the Oscar for best film score as well. It wasn't just music, but a sonic soundscape that really helped shape the film over-all. Every time I hear his work, be it for film or tv, he just hits the nail on the head every time.

-Marc.

Yup, for sure, especially since Zimmer won for Dune I already. It'll be interesting to see how the awards boil down...especially with two very heavyweight movies going head to head, one that's already done a sweep of technical awards. Mostly curious to see where the big one, and the best director go. I know it's early in the season, but I'm not sure of any other movies that will be in competition with these two.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2023, 03:51:47 PM »

Spotify link.

Thank you. is there a physical media release date? I am old school, I stream only when necessary.

Online faizoff

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2023, 04:25:37 PM »

Spotify link.

Thank you. is there a physical media release date? I am old school, I stream only when necessary.

I too prefer CDs, looks like the CDs are estimated to ship in September
https://mondoshop.com/products/oppenheimer-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-cd

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2023, 08:24:22 PM »
I so truly loved it.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2023, 05:58:02 AM »
Saw this last night. Not much else to add that others haven't said already. Basically all of the performances were great, Murphy, RDJ, and Blunt for sure. Such an intense movie. Typical Nolan film left you thinking at the end. Was Oppenheimer the conflicted genius, or the cunning manipulator? Or a combination of both? The ending did drag a little after the explosion. Could have cut out some of the trial I think, or rearranged more of that to before the explosion.

I was also a bit distracted by all of the recognizable actors. So many big names, and tons of minor characters played by people I had to think about what I've seen them in before.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2023, 07:48:33 AM »
Anyone else think this is Nolan's best chance so far for a best picture Oscar? Visually gorgeous movie, amazing sound and score, fantastic performances all around, compelling story. Not my favorite, but his most Oscar-like move to date IMO.