Author Topic: perhaps some insight into why DT moved from Roadrunner to InsideOut...  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Just happened to see this and it made me think of the (IMO) surprising move that DT made, going from Roadrunner to InsideOut.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/corey-taylor-says-roadrunner-records-didnt-push-his-debut-solo-album-they-didnt-care

Sounds almost kinda like what had happened with DT by the time they had gotten around to FII in 1997 while with Elektra/Atlantic/Warner Bros. And of course, right after DT signed with RR 10 years later, RR got bought up by Warner Bros.  :P

Given that InsideOut is run by a DT fan (Thomas Waber), I can imagine them staying with InsideOut from here on out, unless Waber leaves.

Anybody know how many albums DT has on their current contract with InsideOut?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jimgolf

I would be really surprised if they “didn’t care.” All four of the RoadRunner albums charted really well(Black Clouds 6, ADTOE 8, S/T, 7) and every album was supported by music videos and promotion. I think it was more they just wanted to be on a prog label for the back half of their career? It’s difficult to say. Maybe they just liked working with the people on Inside Out better.

Offline Schurftkut

just watch the video where they announce they're now with InsideOut, they know they guys working there for decades already plus it's now a division of Sony which JP seems to like better.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
I recall quite a few bands leaving RR around that time.  According to Wiki:

On April 26, 2012, it was announced that Warner Music Group would make substantial cutbacks throughout Roadrunner Records worldwide operations.[9] According to staff working at the company, The UK offices and the Canadian offices of Roadrunner Records are to be closed completely, with severe levels of cutbacks occurring across the rest of the label worldwide. It has also been announced that the Roadrunner office in The Netherlands is to close, and that the label's founder Cees Wessels is stepping down from his role of CEO.[10] The following years saw several major Roadrunner acts leave the label, including DevilDriver and Alter Bridge (who both moved to Napalm Records, with Devildriver's catalogue being sold to The Echo Label), Opeth, Machine Head, and Soulfly (all of whom followed former A&R of SVP Monte Conner to Nuclear Blast) and Dream Theater (who signed with InsideOut Music in 2017) In July 2017, British rock band Milk Teeth signed with Roadrunner Records.[11]

In June 2018, Roadrunner became a sub-label of Warner's Elektra Music Group division.[12] In June 2022, Elektra Music Group, and subsequently Roadrunner, was merged into the new umbrella label group 300 Elektra Entertainment.[13][14]

Offline zappafrank2112

Just happened to see this and it made me think of the (IMO) surprising move that DT made, going from Roadrunner to InsideOut.

https://blabbermouth.net/news/corey-taylor-says-roadrunner-records-didnt-push-his-debut-solo-album-they-didnt-care

Sounds almost kinda like what had happened with DT by the time they had gotten around to FII in 1997 while with Elektra/Atlantic/Warner Bros. And of course, right after DT signed with RR 10 years later, RR got bought up by Warner Bros.  :P

Given that InsideOut is run by a DT fan (Thomas Waber), I can imagine them staying with InsideOut from here on out, unless Waber leaves.

Anybody know how many albums DT has on their current contract with InsideOut?

And don't forget that their long ago manager Jim Pitulski used to run I/O US (right here in Pittsburgh!), so I'm sure there's all kinds of good connections left over from all of that.