Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)  (Read 28136 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)
« Reply #980 on: June 03, 2023, 04:24:23 PM »
I'm sad not seing Dave Weckl mentioned once. Sure he hasn't played in arena large bands or released albums that are huge but to me it's about his technic and influence on other drummers that's important. He has so much control over his playing and technic that is flawless and his playing is butter smooth.

Dave Weckl Drum Solo LIVE: "On The Edge"

He's my major influence in playing drums and has been for years. May not be the type of music I listen to very often but that dosen't stop me from enyoing and be inspired by his playing in whatever music he plays.

Ahem!  Check again
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Realm

« Reply #981 on: June 03, 2023, 04:37:37 PM »
Neil number 3 and Mike number 2.

Thanks Reaper, great countdown.

My final list:

25   Peter Criss
24   Tommy Lee
23   Steve Judd
22   Alex Van Halen
21   Baard Kolstad
20   Martin Lopez
19   Marco Minnemann
18   Keith Moon

17   Phil Rudd
16   Tommy Aldridge
15   Scott Rockenfield
14   Vinnie Paul
13   Joey Jordison
12   Matt Cameron
11   Brann Dailor
10   Lars Ulrich
9   Blake Richardson
8   Gavin Harrison
7   Bill Ward
6   Dave Lombardo
5   Nicko McBrain
4   John Bonham
3   Neil Peart
2   Mike Portnoy
1   Danny Carey

I finished at 16 out of 26. Looking at some other lists, probably a couple of drummers I forgot about and left off that I could have included.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #982 on: June 03, 2023, 04:43:33 PM »
23   Steve Judd
21   Baard Kolstad

I finished at 16 out of 26. Looking at some other lists, probably a couple of drummers I forgot about and left off that I could have included.

16 out of 26 is damned good. I don't recognize the two guys above.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #983 on: June 03, 2023, 04:46:34 PM »
23   Steve Judd
21   Baard Kolstad

Baard Kolstad was my #1 and just a jaw droppingly good drummer. Watching him quite literally blows my mind. I'm itching to see the full ranking of all drummers, to see how far he was from making the cut.

Thanks again Reap for doing this.

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #984 on: June 03, 2023, 04:47:08 PM »
23   Steve Judd
21   Baard Kolstad

I also had Baard Kolstad, he's the drummer from Leprous.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #985 on: June 03, 2023, 04:50:49 PM »
23   Steve Judd
21   Baard Kolstad

I also had Baard Kolstad, he's the drummer from Leprous.

OK, thanks Pup. I've never connected with them.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: June 03, 2023, 05:23:50 PM »
Since he was my top ranked drummer to not make the list, wanted to gush a bit about the late Pat Torpey. It was tragic when Parkinson’s took his ability to play, and then when when he past a few years later as a result. I remember being way more effected by his passing than I expected. There is so much personality in his drumming, and he was a joy to hear and watch play with Mr. Big.

I know drum solos aren’t for everyone, but this one is so excellent and gives a great overview of his playing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgDCW-bnkI&t=4s&pp=ygUUcGF0IHRvcnBleSBkcnVtIHNvbG8%3D

Fucking impressive...I'm guessing I saw him live 4 or 5 times, they opened for Rush two tours in a row out here back in the late 80s. If I was a bigger fan I may have paid more attention to their work as I waited for Rush to come on.

To highlight my top drummer that didn't make it a bit...Senri Kawaguchi started playing at age 2, and by 8 was taken under by one of Japan's premiere drum teachers Kozo Sagunuma (#18 on my list). She was one of the first Youtube sensation musicians, but grew out of that as she entered the Japanese jazz scene in her late teens. Career highlights include drumming for Guthrie Govan on his Japan tour, headlining the Tokyo Jazz festival with her group Triangle, and being chosen to be the musical ambassador for One Young World Japan, which led to her forming the 8 piece ensemble the Jazz Avengers.

There's endless videos of her playing, but this from her Guthrie tour is probably my favorite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H1-ebvlBTw&t=84s&ab_channel=SenriKawaguchi

I'm a huge, huge fan of Guthrie and I've seen this video before but didn't know the backstory. She is really an incredible drummer.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #987 on: June 03, 2023, 05:35:41 PM »
23   Steve Judd
21   Baard Kolstad

Steve Judd is the drummer from Karnivool. I’ve seen them live a number of times and just really love his style and live performance. I didn’t expect anyone else to rank him.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: June 03, 2023, 05:39:01 PM »
My list;

25   Lars Ulrich
24   Gene Hoglan
23   Cozy Powell
22   Travis Smith
21   Ingo Schwichtenberg
20   Scott Travis
19   Steve Wacholz
18   Jorg Michael
17   Virgil Donati
16   Chad Gracey
15   Scott Rockenfield
14   Clive Burr
13   Uli Kusch
12   Patrick Carlsson
11   David Ingraham
10   Bill Ward
9   Daniel Svensson
8   Blake Richardson
7   Nicko McBrain
6   Mikkey Dee
5   Mark Zonder
4   Neil Peart
3   Mike Portnoy
2   Danny Carey
1   Brann Dailor
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #989 on: June 03, 2023, 05:58:05 PM »

Steve Judd is the drummer from Karnivool. I’ve seen them live a number of times and just really love his style and live performance. I didn’t expect anyone else to rank him.

His performance on Sound Awake, in particular, is absolutely fantastic.

Offline coz

« Reply #990 on: June 03, 2023, 06:44:16 PM »
I'm sad not seing Dave Weckl mentioned once. Sure he hasn't played in arena large bands or released albums that are huge but to me it's about his technic and influence on other drummers that's important. He has so much control over his playing and technic that is flawless and his playing is butter smooth.

He's my major influence in playing drums and has been for years. May not be the type of music I listen to very often but that dosen't stop me from enyoing and be inspired by his playing in whatever music he plays.
Weckl's playing IS so smoooth.  And that snare is poppin' good.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline coz

« Reply #991 on: June 03, 2023, 07:01:21 PM »
Travis Smith from Trivium, wolf?  :omg: Nice!  :metal
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline Glasser

« Reply #992 on: June 03, 2023, 09:09:04 PM »
My list;

25   Lars Ulrich
24   Gene Hoglan
23   Cozy Powell
22   Travis Smith
21   Ingo Schwichtenberg
20   Scott Travis
19   Steve Wacholz
18   Jorg Michael
17   Virgil Donati
16   Chad Gracey
15   Scott Rockenfield
14   Clive Burr
13   Uli Kusch
12   Patrick Carlsson
11   David Ingraham
10   Bill Ward
9   Daniel Svensson
8   Blake Richardson
7   Nicko McBrain
6   Mikkey Dee
5   Mark Zonder
4   Neil Peart
3   Mike Portnoy
2   Danny Carey
1   Brann Dailor

Mikkey Dee!  :tup  :metal

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #993 on: June 03, 2023, 09:57:45 PM »
Peart was one of the first drummers I heard that really floored me.  A friend in my freshman year of high school lent me Moving Pictures, and I remember being dazzled by all of the tom fills.  His sense of composition is immaculate, each note he plays feels like the precise one for that particular moment.  I also enjoyed his guest drumming on a few tracks with Vertical Horizon for a much more restrained version of himself. 

Portnoy was one of the next guys to blow me away.  The complexity, the speed, the variety of different sounds from all varieties of toms and effects cymbals, it went a level beyond Peart.  And it was fun to watch, I remember getting Liquid Drum Theater even though I didn't yet own a drumset, and being spellbound watching him.  I've since heard many guys who are even faster and more complex, and sure, after awhile you can spot that he doesn't have the deepest well of tricks and reuses ideas a bit too often, but few could make it sound as cool and musical as he could.  The intro to "Paradigm Shift" is one of those parts that isn't nearly as complicated as it sounds, but I'm sure was played at many a Guitar Center afternoon to fool onlookers into thinking they were drum gods. 

Here's my list.  I might do short writeups tomorrow on a few of the top ones who didn't make the group list. 

25:  Anup Sastry (Skyharbor, Intervals)
24:  Peter Wildoer (Darkane, James LaBrie)
23:  Omar Hakim (Aziza Mustafa Zadeh, Weather Report)
22:  Paul Roraback (Grammatrain, Gideon's Press)
21:  Matt Garstka (Animals As Leaders, Louis de Mieulle)
20:  Carter Beauford (Vertical Horizon, Dave Matthews Band)
19:  Phil Collins (Genesis, Brand X)
18:  Anika Nilles (Nevell, Jeff Beck)
17:  Dennis Chambers (Niacin, CAB)
16:  Terry Bozzio (Explorer's Club, U.K.)
15:  Marco Minnemann (Paul Gilbert, Steven Wilson)
14:  Ted Kirkpatrick (Tourniquet, Trouble)
13:  Morgan Rose (Sevendust, Call Me No One)
12:  Dave Weckl (Aziza Mustafa Zadeh, Chick Corea)
11:  Steve Smith (Vital Information, Tony MacAlpine)
10:  Dirk Verbeuren (Soilwork, Sybreed)
9:  Ed Warby (Ayreon, Star One)
8:  Neil Peart (Rush, Vertical Horizon)
7:  Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment)
6:  Gavin Harrison (Porcupine Tree, The Pineapple Thief)
5:  Sean Reinert (Aghora, Cynic)
4:  Martin Lopez (Opeth, Soen)
3:  Ivar de Graaf (Kingfisher Sky, Within Temptation)
2:  Daniel Liljekvist (Katatonia, Grand Cadaver)
1:  Danny Carey (Tool, Volto!)

Honorable Mentions:  Anders Jivarp (Dark Tranquillity), Art Blakey, Bill Bruford (King Crimson), Billy Cobham (Mahavishnu Orchestra), Bobby Jarzombek (Spastic Ink), Brann Dailor (Mastodon), Buddy Rich, Chad Szeliga (Breaking Benjamin), Curt Cress (Passport), Daniel Moilanen (Katatonia), Dobber Beverly (Oceans of Slumber), Elvin Jones (John Coltrane), Gene Hoglan (Death), Hannes Grossman (Obscura), Jay Postones (TesseracT), Jerry Gaskill (King's X), Jerry McBroom (Bride), Jimmy Chamberlin (Smashing Pumpkins), John Macaluso (Ark), Martin Axenrot (Opeth), Matt Halpern (Periphery), Matt Thompson (Aghora), Max Roach, Morgan Agren (Kaipa), Richard Christy (Death), Simon Phillips (Derek Sherinian), Simon Zimbardo (Aziza Mustafa Zadeh), Steve Gadd (Al DiMeola), Stewart Copeland (The Police), Thomas Lang (Paul Gilbert), Tony Williams, Van Williams (Nevermore), Vinnie Colaiuta (Frank Zappa), Virgil Donati (Planet X), Yanic Bercier (Quo Vadis)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 10:04:45 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #994 on: June 03, 2023, 10:51:28 PM »

Weckl's playing IS so smoooth.  And that snare is poppin' good.

Yea, he's the master on fluidity and control. He makes stuff look so easy and effortless.

Ahem!  Check again
Oh that makes me happy!  :tup
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:01:41 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #995 on: June 04, 2023, 01:16:49 AM »
My list;

25   Lars Ulrich
24   Gene Hoglan
23   Cozy Powell
22   Travis Smith
21   Ingo Schwichtenberg
20   Scott Travis
19   Steve Wacholz
18   Jorg Michael
17   Virgil Donati
16   Chad Gracey
15   Scott Rockenfield
14   Clive Burr
13   Uli Kusch
12   Patrick Carlsson
11   David Ingraham
10   Bill Ward
9   Daniel Svensson
8   Blake Richardson
7   Nicko McBrain
6   Mikkey Dee
5   Mark Zonder
4   Neil Peart
3   Mike Portnoy
2   Danny Carey
1   Brann Dailor

Nice list dude, I thought I'd have the most crossover with you. I too had Travis Smith and Daniel Svensson  :metal

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #996 on: June 04, 2023, 05:38:47 AM »
Final list with some commentary on the ones that didn't make it.

25. Ginger Baker (a whole bunch of classic bands) His reputation should put him on here
24. Darren Smith (Harem Scarem) No chance in hell .... There's a large discography, and I'm a big fanboi.  He's not flashy, and works with a pretty minimalist kit.  Gets the most out of it
23. Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience) I highly doubt it.... Was I really the only one that threw a vote for him?
22. perhaps?
21. Ringo Starr Should be, but most will probably overlook him
20. Phil Collins Maybe?
19. Charlie Watts (The Rolling Stones) Legend, but won't make it ... He's about as basic as it gets, but so many of the 'greatest' rock songs from the Stones have a noticeably important drum piece
18. Mike Mangini Fo sho
17. Peter Criss (Kiss) Doubt it .... I'm not the biggest Kiss fan, but his drum work is an important part of their music when he was on the skins
16. Larry Mullen (U2) Nope ... ditto, but to an even greater degree - especially for the 80s era stuff.
15. Roger Taylor (Queen) Prolly not
14. Nick Mason (Pink Floyd) Dunno… maybe?
13. Jonas Ekdahl (Evergrey) Nope
12. Jukka Nevalainen (Nightwish) Even the fans of this band have probably forgotten about him
11. Phil Rudd (AC/DC) should be, but doubt it ... See Charlie Watts
10. Keith Moon He's gotta be there
9. Felix Bohnke (Edgy; Avantasia Live) Nada
8. Scott Rockenfield Possibly
7. Nicko McBrain Fo sho
6. Ed Warby (Ayreon, Star One) Nope
5. Gil Moore (Triumph) Not gonna happen ('specially if Joe/RJ didn't put him on their lists) ... I'm sorry, but in the 80s, he was as important a drummer in a Canadian three piece band (and almost as talented) as the winner of this poll.  It's a shame the band fell apart in '89.  Imagine if Geddy left Rush after Signals and they had disbanded ... that's essentially what happened with Triumph.
4. Alex Van Halen He better be
3. John Bonham Him too (I'm bothered by your lack of faith, RJ) ... RJ, I'm virtually certain the list you shared with me was a revised one from the one you matched your predictions from
2. Mike Portnoy Guaran-damn-teed
1. Neil Peart As for sure as death and taxes
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #997 on: June 04, 2023, 06:24:18 AM »
I didn't submit a list because there are only around a dozen drummers whose playing I can say I love (to round out a top 25 I would have just been submitting names from bands I like, which didn't seem in the spirit of the thread). But if I had, this would have been my top ten, with band name and favourite drum performance in brackets:

10. Jaska Raatikainen (Children of Bodom/Kissing The Shadows)
9. Lars Ulrich (Metallica/Disposable Heroes)
8. Blake Richardson (Between The Buried And Me/Swim to the Moon)
7. Keith Moon (The Who/I Can See For Miles)
6. Nick Mason (Pink Floyd/Atom Heart Mother)
5. Danny Carey (Tool/Rosetta Stoned)
4. Phil Collins (Genesis/Fly on a Windshield)
3. Pick Withers (Dire Straits/Water of Love)
2. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater/In The Name of God)
1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin/When The Levee Breaks)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: June 04, 2023, 06:38:13 AM »
As promised here is the final drummer list:

Neil Peart   623
Mike Portnoy   622
Gavin Harrison   374
John Bonham   315
Mike Mangini   245
Danny Carey   226
Marco Minnemann   223
Nicko McBrain   196
Phil Collins   186
Bill Bruford   184
Nick D'Virgilio   175
Brann Dailor   165
Keith Moon   133
Ringo Starr   128
Lars Ulrich   122
Dave Lombardo   121
Scott Rockenfield   118
Stewart Copeland   114
Mark Zonder   113
Martin Lopez   112
Carter Beauford   111
Alex Van Halen   110
Blake Richardson   99
Bill Ward   96
Gene Hoglan   94
Cozy Powell   94
Carl Palmer   87
Roger Taylor   84
Ray Hearne   75
Thomas Lang   69
Virgil Donati   68
Simon Phillips   68
Steve Smith   67
Vinnie Colaiuta   66
Clive Burr   65
Joey Jordison   65
Chester Thompson   63
Ed Warby   62
Manu Katche   61
Terry Bozzio   58
Jeff Porcaro   54
Ian Paice   52
Charlie Benante   51
Rod Morgenstein   50
Matt Garstka   48
Baard Kolstad   46
Tomas Haake   45
Josh Eppard   45
Alan White   45
Phil Rudd   44
Buddy Rich   44
Tony Williams   43
Jason Rullo   42
Tim Alexander   42
Ian Mosley   42
Mikkey Dee   41
Gene Krupa   41
Dave Grohl   41
Steve Gadd   40
Aquiles Priester   40
Craig Blundell   39
Dave Weckl   36
Vinnie Paul   36
Dennis Chambers   36
Todd Sucherman   34
Bobby Jarzombek   34
Billy Cobham   33
Gil Moore   33
Will Calhoun   33
Mario Duplantier   32
Dave McClain   31
Scott Travis   30
Nick Menza   29
Matt Cameron   29
Charlie Watts   28
Ryan Van Poederooyen   27
Chris Adler   26
Clem Burke   26
Taylor Hawkins   25
Kenny Aronoff   25
Paul Craddick   25
Nick Mason   24
Morgan Ågren   24
Sheila E   24
Daniel Liljekvist   24
Jon Theodore   24
Pat Mastelotto   24
Andy Parker   23
Ivar de Graaf   23
Senri Kawaguchi   22
Larry Mullen Jr.   22
Zoltan Csörsz   22
Leo Margarit   22
Bobby Jazormbek   22
devieira73   22
4   22
Louie Bellson   22
Pat Torpey   21
Sean Reinert   21
Ray Marte   21
Ingo Schwichtenberg   21
Brian Downey   21
Jorg Michael   21
Budgie   21
Jimmy Chamberlin   21
Travis Smith   20
Neil Smith   20
Alex Holzwarth   20
Kelly David Smith   20
Paul Cook   20
Tommy Aldridge   20
Evan Carson   20
Scott Phillips   19
Michael Cavanagh   19
Bun E. Carlos   19
Chad Wackermann   19
Dino Campanella   18
Daniel Svensson   18
Dmitry Kim   18
Art Blakey   17
Thomas Pridgen   17
Felix Bohnke   17
Marco Duplantier   16
Michael Derosier   16
Dirk Verbeuren   16
Mark Heron   16
Tommy Taylor   15
Liberty DeVitto   15
Chris Maitland   15
Phil Ehart   15
Tamu Murata   15
Greg Saunier   15
Roy Ward   15
Travis Barker   15
Roy Mayorga   15
David Ingraham   15
Mitch Mitchell   14
Stefan Kauffman   14
Alan Gratzer   14
Raymond Hearne   14
Jukka Nevalainen   14
John Longstreth   14
John Panozzo   14
Patrick Carlsson   14
Paul Hester   13
Derek Roddy   13
Morgan Rose   13
Aaron Harris   13
Bobby Robinelli   13
Akane Hirose   13
Jonas Ekdahl   13
Uli Kusch   13
Proscriptor McGovern   12
Ted Kirkpatrick   12
Peter Criss   12
Johan Langell   12
Jose Pasillas   12
Aron Mellergårdh   12
Les Binks   12
Jerry Gaskill   12
Omar Hakim   12
Jaime Salazar   12
Steve Zimmerman   11
Tré Cool   11
Big Paul Ferguson   11
Garrett Whitlock   11
John Stephen French   11
Hans Rutten   10
Chad Gracey   10
Chad Sexton   10
Aynsley Dunbar   10
DragonAttack   10
16   10
Vinnie Appice   10
Chad Smith   10
Andy Edwards   10
Rat Scabies   10
Dani Noble   10
George Kollias   10
Matt Halpern   10
Shannon Larkin   9
Barriemore Barlow   9
Eric Singer   9
Jaska Raatikainen   9
Dominic Howard   9
Sim Cain   9
The Rev   8
Bernard Purdie   8
Nick D’Virgilio   8
Carmine Appice   8
Kozo Saganuma   8
Albert Bouchard   8
Bill Kreutzman   8
Anika Nilles   8
Daniel Erlandsson   7
Martin Axenrot   7
Dave Rowntree   7
Ginger Baker   7
Chris Allison   7
Max Weinberg   7
Steve Wacholz   7
Andy Ward   7
Zak Starkey   7
Tobias Schuler   7
Marko Tarvonen   6
Steve Judd   6
Guy Evans   6
Simon Kirke   5
Lenny White   5
Gary Husband   5
Jon "Bermuda" Schwartz   5
Eric Carr   4
Jay Weinberg   4
Paul Roraback   4
Cato Bekkevold   4
Mikey Hart   4
Andy Sturmer   4
Alex Bent   3
Erik Sandin   3
Elvin Jones   3
Bev Bevan   3
Clyde Stubblefield   3
Morgan Simpson   3
Nick Crescenzo   2
Kenny Jones   2
Joey Castillo   2
Darren Smith   2
Josh Freese   2
Lee Kerslake   2
Thomas Lejon   2
Moe Tucker   2
Tommy Lee   2
Cassey Grillo   2
Peter Wildoer   2
Guy Patterson   1
Anup Sastry   1
Mark Evans   1
Rick Allen   1
Jerome “Bigfoot” Brailey   1
Phil Taylor   1
Rick Colaluca   1
Daniel Presland   1
Makaya McCraven   1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #999 on: June 04, 2023, 06:42:22 AM »

Ray Hearne   75

Raymond Hearne   14

Flag on the play.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1000 on: June 04, 2023, 06:44:52 AM »

Ray Hearne   75

Raymond Hearne   14

Flag on the play.

This is why I'll leave future lists to the pro ;)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1001 on: June 04, 2023, 07:09:15 AM »

Ray Hearne   75

Raymond Hearne   14

Flag on the play.

Well, whoever called him "Raymond" tip-toed on the line.  Can't blame the official here.  Plus, 89 still doesn't make the list.

I'm stunned it was only a 1 point difference!

Other observations:
Tommy Aldridge didn't get a lot of love, did he?  Nor Carmen Appice?  :-\
I'm surprised Jukka (Nightwish) didn't get any votes other than mine; ditto on Jonas (Evergrey)... I expected Kade would've had him there.
Who voted for DragonAttack?

Nick D'Virgilio   175
Nick D’Virgilio   8

A different apostrophe .  Doesn't change his placement, but the importance of punctuation!!   :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #1002 on: June 04, 2023, 07:14:05 AM »
I also saw Mario Duplantier and Marco Duplantier, and looking at my own list, I’m one of the dummies that misspelled it as Marco  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1003 on: June 04, 2023, 07:21:11 AM »
Nick D'Virgilio   175
Nick D’Virgilio   8

A different apostrophe .  Doesn't change his placement, but the importance of punctuation!!   :lol

Nick drove me nuts. I thought I got them all but man the special character names were rough :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1004 on: June 04, 2023, 07:26:40 AM »
See, this is why I am insistent on everyone trying to get their spelling correct and whatnot when submitting lists, but it's also why I enter all of the scores in manually, as I will catch stuff like that.  For example, because I always keep the list of names sorted alphabetically in Excel as I enter lists along the way, I will catch it if two different names are likely the same person.

It's a process, though, as it took me doing a few of these countdowns to really lock down the best way to do it to make it easier on myself and to avoid little glitches like that. 

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #1005 on: June 04, 2023, 07:33:57 AM »
I didn't submit a list because there are only around a dozen drummers whose playing I can say I love (to round out a top 25 I would have just been submitting names from bands I like, which didn't seem in the spirit of the thread). But if I had, this would have been my top ten, with band name and favourite drum performance in brackets:

10. Jaska Raatikainen (Children of Bodom/Kissing The Shadows)
9. Lars Ulrich (Metallica/Disposable Heroes)
8. Blake Richardson (Between The Buried And Me/Swim to the Moon)
7. Keith Moon (The Who/I Can See For Miles)
6. Nick Mason (Pink Floyd/Atom Heart Mother)
5. Danny Carey (Tool/Rosetta Stoned)
4. Phil Collins (Genesis/Fly on a Windshield)
3. Pick Withers (Dire Straits/Water of Love)
2. Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater/In The Name of God)
1. John Bonham (Led Zeppelin/When The Levee Breaks)

Jaska made my list  :metal

Offline HOF

« Reply #1006 on: June 04, 2023, 07:35:38 AM »
Nevermind, didn’t see the second page before I commented.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: June 04, 2023, 07:35:43 AM »
My only real disappointment was that Matt Garstka didn't make the list, he is one of my favorite drummers of all time.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1008 on: June 04, 2023, 08:49:54 AM »
Raymond? His mother doesn't even call him Raymond....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1009 on: June 04, 2023, 08:58:00 AM »
Raymond? His mother doesn't even call him Raymond....

And that’s why everybody doesn’t love him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1010 on: June 04, 2023, 08:59:52 AM »
Holy crap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1011 on: June 04, 2023, 09:05:14 AM »
My only real disappointment was that Matt Garstka didn't make the list, he is one of my favorite drummers of all time.

It seems like djent-related music has been on the decline here (or maybe it was never super-popular?)  Tosin wasn't anywhere close to making the guitarist list either.  Heck, Halpern only had 10 points, and he's close to the biggest name in the scene.  Garstka is on my list though, to me he's one of the grooviest and most musical chops monsters around.  I watch this every few months. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bRQOgRY5Bk
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 09:17:31 AM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1012 on: June 04, 2023, 09:45:17 AM »
Yea he is insane, I posted this a few times but his whole live set drum cam is bananas:

https://youtu.be/FKHHPHoLXyA

And now he has a new drum video where you get to see him in the jazz context:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH0MUQt5pz4

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1013 on: June 04, 2023, 10:36:21 AM »
Bobby Jarzombek is also on there twice.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: June 04, 2023, 10:57:41 AM »

Other observations:
Tommy Aldridge didn't get a lot of love, did he?  Nor Carmen Appice?  :-\
I'm surprised Jukka (Nightwish) didn't get any votes other than mine; ditto on Jonas (Evergrey)... I expected Kade would've had him there.
Who voted for DragonAttack?[/b]

That's in recognition of my great air drumming skills, going all the way back to the mid 60's ;) :lol

(I had initially written 'Ansley Dunbar', then sent in the correction.  No doubt that got slid into the spreadsheet somehow.  I appreciate the acknowledgement.....)

I didn't post as this went along.  Life and all.  Anyhoo, here's my old fogey list

25   Alex Van Halen
24   Taylor Hawkins
23   Bill Bruford
22   Alan White
21   Lenny White
20   Scott Rockenfeld
19   Terry Bozio   
18   Mitch Mitchell
17   Barriemore Barlow
16   Aynsley Dunbar (Santana, Zappa, Journey, Starship, Whitesnake, Schenker, UFO etc  ....thought he'd get more votes  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aynsley_Dunbar)
15   Ian Paice
14   Chester Thompson
13   Bobby Robinelli
12   Alan Gratzer (REO, Brian May's Starfleet Project)
11   Mike Mangini
10   Cozy Powell
9   Mike Portnoy
8   Gene Krupa
7   Buddy Rich
6   Neil Smith (Alice Cooper)
5   Keith Moon
4   Ringo Starr
3   Roger Taylor
2   John Bonham
1   Neil Peart

9 of 25.  Not surprised at Ward, Ulrich, Collins, and various Fates Warning and Iron Maiden guys making the list.

Thought Roger Taylor of Queen would come in around 60th.  Nice showing at #28.

Gene Krupa deserves to be a history lesson for every fan of music.

Nice to see him and Buddy Rich get some love.  My gawd....watching that man play when he'd be on 'The Tonight Show'.  I made sure I stayed up well past my bed time when I knew he'd be on Johnny and get to play with his 'Orchestra'.   :tup

Thanks for running this.  It was (and still is) an enjoyable read.  :tup
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 02:47:42 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!