Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)  (Read 28198 times)

Offline Fonzie

Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)
« Reply #945 on: June 03, 2023, 11:42:36 AM »
My list in the order that I thought of them. My rankings were a little different. Gavin H, Steve S, and Neil P were way higher.

Mike Portnoy
Budgie
Big Paul Ferguson
Mike Mangini
John Bonham
Joey Castillo
Dave Grohl
Alex Van Halen
Vinnie Colaiuta
Chad Wackermann
Mitch Mitchell
Keith Moon
Billy Cobham
Ian Paice
Dave Lombardo
Steven Perkins
Clem Burke
Nicko McBrain
Steve Smith
Elvin Jones
Lenny White
Matt Cameron
Rat Scabies
Ryan Van Poederooyen
Steve Gadd
Gene Hoglan
Sim Cain
John Otto
Dave McClain
Brann Daillor
Nick Menza
Tomas Haake
Neil Peart
Away
Martin Lopez
Gavin Harrison
Lars Ulrich
George Kollias
Tony Williams
Mark Evans

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 3 & 4 Up!)
« Reply #946 on: June 03, 2023, 11:48:49 AM »
Who fucking leaves off Neil Peart??

Guilty. I don't like Rush.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #947 on: June 03, 2023, 11:50:30 AM »

You did, you sent Neal Peart and that guy didn't make the top 25 ;)

:rollin

I had Portnoy at 6.  20 years ago, he probably would have been at #1.  His influence on me was enormous: not just as a drummer, but as someone who was more than “just the drummer.”  His drumming, to my ears, combined the craftsmanship and care that Neil Peart had in his drumming with the instinct and intensity of Phil Collins and added a healthy dose of Dave Lombardoesque double bass fury.  He set the next level for me as a drummer, and the first time I was able to play along with Met 1 and not make a mistake was a watershed moment for me. 

What else is there to say about Neil Peart?  His burning desire to learn and improve in all aspects of his life was and is hugely inspirational to me. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #948 on: June 03, 2023, 11:51:27 AM »
Since he was my top ranked drummer to not make the list, wanted to gush a bit about the late Pat Torpey. It was tragic when Parkinson’s took his ability to play, and then when when he past a few years later as a result. I remember being way more effected by his passing than I expected. There is so much personality in his drumming, and he was a joy to hear and watch play with Mr. Big.

I know drum solos aren’t for everyone, but this one is so excellent and gives a great overview of his playing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgDCW-bnkI&t=4s&pp=ygUUcGF0IHRvcnBleSBkcnVtIHNvbG8%3D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #949 on: June 03, 2023, 11:59:30 AM »
I am curious as to whom some of you thought I was referring when I said a certain drummer's exclusion would be the crime of the century.  I was talking about Copeland, but did some of you think I meant Supertramp's drummer (whose name I don't even know :lol)?
Yeah that's who I thought you were referring to, Bob Siebenberg. I thought crime of the century was a little on the nose  :lol I actually considered him.

Gotcha.  :tup :tup

Offline coz

« Reply #950 on: June 03, 2023, 12:01:27 PM »
Since he was my top ranked drummer to not make the list, wanted to gush a bit about the late Pat Torpey. It was tragic when Parkinson’s took his ability to play, and then when when he past a few years later as a result. I remember being way more effected by his passing than I expected. There is so much personality in his drumming, and he was a joy to hear and watch play with Mr. Big.

I know drum solos aren’t for everyone, but this one is so excellent and gives a great overview of his playing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UtgDCW-bnkI&t=4s&pp=ygUUcGF0IHRvcnBleSBkcnVtIHNvbG8%3D
True, true.  Pat is another greatly missed by me too.  :'(
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline romdrums

« Reply #951 on: June 03, 2023, 12:02:41 PM »
Here’s my list:

25. Alan White (Yes). Kinda surprised he didn’t make the list.  His playing on Relayer is insane!
24. Manu Katche. Not surprised, but damn, his work with Sting and Peter Gabriel is amazing.
23. Steve Judd (Karnivool). Not surprised.  Phenomenal drummer though.
22. Mark Zonder
21. John Bonham
20. Brann Dailor
19. Pat Mastelotto (King Crimson, Mr. Mister, and many others). 
18. Marco Minnemann
17. Mike Mangini
16. Matt Halpern (Periphery). Kinda surprised, but given the participation in this largely skewed older, not really.
15. Blake Richardson
14. Craig Blundell (Frost*, Lonely Robot, Steven Wilson).  Not surprised.
13. Terry Bozzio. Maybe the biggest surprise that he didn’t make it? 
12. Nick D'Virgilio
11. Tony Williams (jazz legend).  Should have made it.  If you say Tony to a drummer, this is that Tony.
10. Carl Palmer (ELP, Asia).  Not that surprised, but he was a huge part of my formative years as a drummer.
9. Art Blakey (jazz legend).  Absolute force of nature.  Every drummer needs to listen to him.
8. Simon Phillips (Toto, Derek Sherinian, The Who, Judas Priest, etc). Love his drumming!
7. Chester Thompson (Genesis, Zappa, Weather Report).  He added soul, swagger and heft to Genesis and Phil Collins in a live setting.  I think he had a huge impact on Phil’s drumming.
6. Mike Portnoy
5. Bill Bruford
4. Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).  Another big surprise that he didn’t make it. Hugely influential. 
3. Gavin Harrison
2. Phil Collins
1. Neil Peart
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #952 on: June 03, 2023, 12:14:30 PM »

Guilty. I don't like Rush.

Then maybe you need to check out their album Power Windows my dude. It’s Tim’s favorite and I love it as well.

Offline HOF

« Reply #953 on: June 03, 2023, 12:23:25 PM »
Here’s my list:

25. Alan White (Yes). Kinda surprised he didn’t make the list.  His playing on Relayer is insane!
24. Manu Katche. Not surprised, but damn, his work with Sting and Peter Gabriel is amazing.
22. Mark Zonder
21. John Bonham
20. Brann Dailor
18. Marco Minnemann
17. Mike Mangini
16. Matt Halpern (Periphery). Kinda surprised, but given the participation in this largely skewed older, not really.
15. Blake Richardson
12. Nick D'Virgilio
11. Tony Williams (jazz legend).  Should have made it.  If you say Tony to a drummer, this is that Tony.
10. Carl Palmer (ELP, Asia).  Not that surprised, but he was a huge part of my formative years as a drummer.
9. Art Blakey (jazz legend).  Absolute force of nature.  Every drummer needs to listen to him.
8. Simon Phillips (Toto, Derek Sherinian, The Who, Judas Priest, etc). Love his drumming!
7. Chester Thompson (Genesis, Zappa, Weather Report).  He added soul, swagger and heft to Genesis and Phil Collins in a live setting.  I think he had a huge impact on Phil’s drumming.
6. Mike Portnoy
5. Bill Bruford
4. Tomas Haake (Meshuggah).  Another big surprise that he didn’t make it. Hugely influential. 
3. Gavin Harrison
2. Phil Collins
1. Neil Peart

Bozzio is a monster, but I can’t say I really enjoy his playing. He’s kind of like Mangini for me.

Offline HOF

« Reply #954 on: June 03, 2023, 12:39:07 PM »
Oh, and many thanks to Reaper for running this one. It was a lot of fun!

So who’s gonna do the top 25 bassists list?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 12:48:04 PM by HOF »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #955 on: June 03, 2023, 12:39:20 PM »
Here’s mine:

25) Rick Colaluca.
24) John Bonham.
23) Alex Holzwarth.
22) Jay Weinberg.
21) Mark Zonder.
20) Tommy Aldridge.
19) Mike Portnoy.
18) Tomas Haake.
17) Chris Adler.
16) Dave Lombardo.
15) Marco Minnemann.
14) Scott Rockenfield.
13) Stewart Copeland.
12) Gene Hoglan.
11) Bobby Jarzombek.
10) Terry Bozzio.
 9) Rod Morgenstein.
 8) Scott Travis.
 7) Mike Mangini.
 6) Neil Peart.
 5) Mikkey Dee.
 4) Louie Bellson.
 3) Gene Krupa.
 2) Sheila E.
 1) Buddy Rich.

Offline coz

« Reply #956 on: June 03, 2023, 01:07:56 PM »
That is an eccentric bunch, Glasser.  I am curious to see pg's list.  Seems he's never heard of anybody!  :rollin
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #957 on: June 03, 2023, 01:10:56 PM »
Here’s my list:

22. Mark Zonder
21. John Bonham
20. Brann Dailor
18. Marco Minnemann
17. Mike Mangini
15. Blake Richardson
12. Nick D'Virgilio
6. Mike Portnoy
5. Bill Bruford
3. Gavin Harrison
2. Phil Collins
1. Neil Peart

Bozzio is a monster, but I can’t say I really enjoy his playing. He’s kind of like Mangini for me.

His daughter Marina of Aldious is definitely a chip off the old block, just a tremendous player.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #958 on: June 03, 2023, 01:29:57 PM »
That sound like a dungeon and dragons announcement RJ. LOL
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #959 on: June 03, 2023, 01:40:57 PM »
 :lol

She's a legit beast behind the kit though...she's even rocking the triple bass just like daddy here...
https://youtu.be/IZuJjY3dlxo
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 01:47:11 PM by lonestar »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #960 on: June 03, 2023, 01:48:12 PM »
That is an eccentric bunch, Glasser.  I am curious to see pg's list.  Seems he's never heard of anybody!  :rollin

Cool mention of Rick Colaluca too!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #961 on: June 03, 2023, 01:48:36 PM »
Jesus RJ, that start of the song....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #962 on: June 03, 2023, 01:57:21 PM »
Jesus RJ, that start of the song....

Right? Those Japanese girls know how to fucking bring it...love watching that audience just losing their shit to. Good stuff. Only reason I'm not a bigger fan of this group is that the singer tends to lose me, I'm very particular with singers.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #963 on: June 03, 2023, 02:17:23 PM »

Fucking impressive...I'm guessing I saw him live 4 or 5 times, they opened for Rush two tours in a row out here back in the late 80s. If I was a bigger fan I may have paid more attention to their work as I waited for Rush to come on.

To highlight my top drummer that didn't make it a bit...Senri Kawaguchi started playing at age 2, and by 8 was taken under by one of Japan's premiere drum teachers Kozo Sagunuma (#18 on my list). She was one of the first Youtube sensation musicians, but grew out of that as she entered the Japanese jazz scene in her late teens. Career highlights include drumming for Guthrie Govan on his Japan tour, headlining the Tokyo Jazz festival with her group Triangle, and being chosen to be the musical ambassador for One Young World Japan, which led to her forming the 8 piece ensemble the Jazz Avengers.

There's endless videos of her playing, but this from her Guthrie tour is probably my favorite...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H1-ebvlBTw&t=84s&ab_channel=SenriKawaguchi

Offline Glasser

« Reply #964 on: June 03, 2023, 02:43:18 PM »

My top 4 are absolute monster players who a lot of people never heard play. Look them up and check them out. Mikkey Dee is hands down my favorite metal drummer.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #965 on: June 03, 2023, 02:46:56 PM »

My top 4 are absolute monster players who a lot of people never heard play. Look them up and check them out. Mikkey Dee is hands down my favorite metal drummer.

Buddy Rich needs no introduction of course, and anybody who can hang with Prince live has earned a spot on any list. Sheila E is ridiculously good. I'll check out the other two, I've heard the names but haven't seen them.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #966 on: June 03, 2023, 02:47:49 PM »

Cool mention of Rick Colaluca too!

I've seen him play live barefoot. He's a total freak on the kit. For those who don't know him, he's the drummer of Watchtower.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: June 03, 2023, 02:49:14 PM »

Glad someone else showed some love for Manu....

Offline HOF

« Reply #968 on: June 03, 2023, 02:52:12 PM »

Fucking impressive...I'm guessing I saw him live 4 or 5 times, they opened for Rush two tours in a row out here back in the late 80s. If I was a bigger fan I may have paid more attention to their work as I waited for Rush to come on.

To highlight my top drummer that didn't make it a bit...Senri Kawaguchi started playing at age 2, and by 8 was taken under by one of Japan's premiere drum teachers Kozo Sagunuma (#18 on my list). She was one of the first Youtube sensation musicians, but grew out of that as she entered the Japanese jazz scene in her late teens. Career highlights include drumming for Guthrie Govan on his Japan tour, headlining the Tokyo Jazz festival with her group Triangle, and being chosen to be the musical ambassador for One Young World Japan, which led to her forming the 8 piece ensemble the Jazz Avengers.

There's endless videos of her playing, but this from her Guthrie tour is probably my favorite...

She looks tiny! How old was she there?

Offline HOF

« Reply #969 on: June 03, 2023, 02:52:21 PM »

And I! Love his work with Peter Gabriel, Sting, and Tears for Fears.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #970 on: June 03, 2023, 02:53:20 PM »

I can actually feel the shock in this response.  :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #971 on: June 03, 2023, 02:56:10 PM »
Thanks for doing this one Reaper!   :metal

Offline pg1067

« Reply #972 on: June 03, 2023, 03:03:20 PM »
1 - Neil Peart

2 - Mike Portnoy

What to say about either of these guys that hasn't already been said.  Just amazing drummers, and Peart had the added bonus of being the greatest lyricist of my formative years (and then some).

25   Keith Moon (Maybe...not sure)
24   Charlie Benante (Probably not)
23   Scott Travis (I'd say 60-70% chance no)
22   Ringo Starr (Probably)
21   Todd Sucherman (Probably not)
20   Clive Burr (Probably not)
19   Mike Mangini (90% yes)
18   Ingo Schwichtenberg (Nein)
17   Carl Palmer (Absolutely should be, but I'm thinking less than 50/50)
16   Vinnie Appice (Nope)
15   Steve Zimmerman (Not even a little chance)
14   Gil Moore (No way, eh)
13   Phil Collins (90+% yes)
12   John Panozzo (Not a chance)
11   Bobby Jarzombek (Nope)
10   Lars Ulrich (I think yes, only about 60% sure)
9   Bill Ward (Should be...75+% likely)
8   Bill Bruford (75+% likely)
7   Cozy Powell (50/50)
6   Scott Rockenfield (Hmmm...really not sure, but I think less than 50/50)
5   Alan White (Same band as #8 - one of them should make it, if not both)
4   Nicko McBrain (90+% yes)
3   Mike Portnoy (Lock)
2   Mark Zonder (Might sneak in around 21-25)
1   Neil Peart Lock for top 3

Not ranked:  Gene Hoglan, Blake Richardson, Carter Beauford, Alex Van Halen, Martin Lopez, Stewart Copeland, Dave Lombardo, Nick D'Virgilio, Brann Dailor, Marco Minnemann, Danny Carey, John Bonham, Gavin Harrison

The only two guys I had who didn't make it that I'm slightly surprised about are Alan White and Carl Palmer.  ELP, in general, seems to get almost no run here, so I guess that's not a big surprise.  When Bill Bruford made it, I thought White had a chance.  His work with Yes was immeasurable.  Amazing drummer.  I'm glad one of the three Fates Warning guys made it.  One guy I neglected to include when I did my rankings - and who probably would have made my top 25 - was Phil Ehart.  Hopefully my failure to include him didn't prevent him from making the overall list (I doubt it).

I'm now going to look at all the posts that say people are surprised that some drummer I've never heard of didn't make the top 25.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #973 on: June 03, 2023, 03:05:45 PM »

She looks tiny! How old was she there?

She's 18 in that video...she's just that small, like 5' tall, and rail skinny, still is at 26. Here's another great video of her having fun with Marco Minneman during the Japan Aristocrats tour, then playing on his kit. I can't imagine how hard it is for someone that short to play on a kit set up for someone 6'5"... I'd say she's 20 in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_NDvn0b6zs&ab_channel=Kris-theonlyone

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #974 on: June 03, 2023, 03:23:15 PM »
I had Jason Rullo #4, shout out to Adami and PuppiesOnAcid for having him on your lists.

MP #1 and NP #3.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #975 on: June 03, 2023, 03:35:04 PM »
I had Jason Rullo #4, shout out to Adami and PuppiesOnAcid for having him on your lists.

MP #1 and NP #3.
Jason Rullo is a beast! He kind of gets overshadowed by Michael Romeo  and Russell Allen in Symphony X by most people, but that guy knows how to lay down a fantastic groove. He also knows how to just go full tilt with fills and flash and how to rein it in and let the song breathe.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #976 on: June 03, 2023, 03:40:41 PM »

He's awesome on the stuff I've heard with Peter Gabriel, but I think this is a case of him not playing on enough material I actively listen to. I had forgotten that he played on some of Sting's album, so I didn't factor that in.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #977 on: June 03, 2023, 03:53:02 PM »
My list:

25   Phil Taylor (Motorhead)
24   Gene Hogland
23   Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix)
22   Bobby Jarzombek
21   Clem Burke (Blondie)
20   Mike Mangini
19   Mark Zonder
18   Ingo Shwichtenberg (Helloween)
17   Eric Singer
16   Dani Loble (Helloween)
15   Ian Paice
14   Dave Lombardo
13   Lars Ulrich
12   Stefan Kauffman (Accept)
11   Scott Rockenfield
10   Cozy Powell
9   Clive Burr
8   Alex Van Halen
7   John Bonham
6   Kelly David Smith (Flotsam & Jetsam)
5   Nicko McBrain
4   Charlie Benante (Anthrax)
3   Andy Parker (UFO)
2   Neal Peart
1   Mike Portnoy

12 for 25.

Thank you for hosting this Karolis!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #978 on: June 03, 2023, 03:55:44 PM »
18   Ingo Schwichtenberg (Nein)

My list:
18   Ingo Shwichtenberg (Helloween)

My man!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #979 on: June 03, 2023, 04:20:12 PM »
I'm sad not seing Dave Weckl mentioned once. Sure he hasn't played in arena large bands or released albums that are huge but to me it's about his technic and influence on other drummers that's important. He has so much control over his playing and technic that is flawless and his playing is butter smooth.

Dave Weckl Drum Solo LIVE: "On The Edge"

He's my major influence in playing drums and has been for years. May not be the type of music I listen to very often but that dosen't stop me from enyoing and be inspired by his playing in whatever music he plays.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls