Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)  (Read 28200 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 3 & 4 Up!)
« Reply #840 on: June 02, 2023, 12:46:25 PM »
There are some good female drummers, no doubt, but I can't think of any off the top of my head that I would rank ahead of any of the guys on my list.

This seems excessively salty. 
Nah, it's all good.  It is what it is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HOF

« Reply #841 on: June 02, 2023, 12:50:43 PM »
I don't *think* I have an album in my collection featuring a female drummer, but I might be overlooking one. Not taking anything away from the many talented women who play drums (I know there are some. One of Prince's recent drummers, Hannah Welton, is really good. But I only know her from YouTube), they just don't happen to be in my sphere of music listening with any frequency.

Also as far as snubs, I'm interested to see the full list, because there's a big difference between someone not making the top 25 and not being listed by anyone. Lots of these apparent snubs may just be top 50 rather than top 25 in a list with like 300 drummers if I recall right.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #842 on: June 02, 2023, 12:53:07 PM »
No Tony or Elvin either. Or Tomas Haake!

I had Haake. He's a monster!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #843 on: June 02, 2023, 12:54:47 PM »
Shocked as fuck Mikkey Dee or Tommy Aldridge didn't make it.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #844 on: June 02, 2023, 12:55:56 PM »

I'm sure we're all shocked at least 5 people on each of our lists didn't make it and that somehow the dude from Mastodon did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #845 on: June 02, 2023, 12:56:20 PM »
Yeah, I think we're really just arguing over the order more than anything else.  25 is just an arbitrary cutoff point, if it had been the top 100 there'd probably be a bit less complaining about complete snubs. 

Brann Dailor isn't just some random dude though, Mastodon has been one of the flagship prog bands for quite some time, and he's regularly featured in Modern Drummer magazine and such. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 01:01:26 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #846 on: June 02, 2023, 01:00:59 PM »

I'm sure we're all shocked at least 5 people on each of our lists didn't make it and that somehow the dude from Mastodon did.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked. The diversity here is what makes it special. I have monsters like Bobby Jarzombek, Scott Travis, and Tomas Haake on my list.

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #847 on: June 02, 2023, 01:05:27 PM »
I have to possible and one highly likely that won't make the cut.... but I'm more inclinedcto feel bad for my nr two  who I saw live the other day and still feel should be here but 'sadly I don't think he will make but he should'.

Awesome drummer, so fun to watch.... just oozes of joy behind the drums. And his patys are soo tasty...

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #848 on: June 02, 2023, 01:06:30 PM »
Oh, and on the drummers of the day, I respect Bonham's influence and legacy, but I'm just a very casual Led Zeppelin fan, so he had no chance on my list. 

Gavin though, is #6 on my list.  PT really jumped a level when he joined.  Grooves like "The Sound of Muzak" are so tasty.  He's another player that pretty much has it all, though his insistence on pretty much never playing more than two bass drum hits in a row might be a bit excessive. 

6/24, will almost assuredly end up 8/26. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #849 on: June 02, 2023, 01:23:22 PM »

Yup, so many brilliant players will be left on the sidelines. And again, just like with the guitarists, not a single female, which is a shame since there are so many worthy (Karen Carpenter, Meg White, Senri Kawaguchi, Sarah Thawer, Sheila E., Holly Madge, Murata Tamu...I could go on and on)

Kind of like some of the other names, I just don't see how when dozens and dozens of high profile rock/metal/prog guys were left off as it is how the people on this list would even have a chance.  If someone like Raymond Hearne (Haken's drummer), who is the long-time member of a band with an active 20-page thread on the first page here and arguably the quintessential modern prog metal band, can't make the list, how could more obscure names?  For example, I've seen some of Thawer's playing on Youtube and it's impressive, particularly since I'm fascinated by Indian music, but when you look up the list of artists she's played with, it's almost exclusively artists I've never even heard of, and I've heard quite a lot of music.  I did have one woman on my own list though, and plenty of others I like, but the competition is just too strong at the top to break through.  For every killer female drummer, there are probably 100x guys, and unfortunately it's a numbers game at that point.

I totally get how they don't make the list, but how barely any will even get a mention speaks to how tilted the scales still are when it comes to female musicians and their prominence, and not just here but in general(pretty sure I was the only person to have a female guitarist on my list). The tides are turning a bit, with bands like The Warning and Plush really pushing the envelope of how an all female band can make big waves in rock/metal. And especially here, where I think we have under 5 active female forum members anyways lol.

I'm actually shocked Ray didn't hit the list at all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #850 on: June 02, 2023, 01:27:42 PM »
But Lonestar, there's not a single band I listen to, or have ever listened to that has a female drummer.
And if The Warning is the best a female band can get, that ain't gonna change anytime soon.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #851 on: June 02, 2023, 01:28:34 PM »
I had a female guitarist on my list.

Didn't have any female drummers on my list though. I don't happen to listen to a ton of bands with female drummers and while I've seen a number of very impressive female drummers on youtube, none of them really did much to inspire me or anything. Of course this is also the case of TONS of male drummers too.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #852 on: June 02, 2023, 01:32:07 PM »
The Female Jap bands that Lonestar has been pimping pretty hard all have very impressive drummers, but the only band that I can get through an entire album is Lovebites.

I'm just not sure why after being a music fan of 40+ years that a female drummer is suddenly going to appear on a list of just 25 of my all time favorite drummers.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #853 on: June 02, 2023, 01:37:09 PM »
I totally get how they don't make the list, but how barely any will even get a mention speaks to how tilted the scales still are when it comes to female musicians and their prominence, and not just here but in general(pretty sure I was the only person to have a female guitarist on my list). The tides are turning a bit, with bands like The Warning and Plush really pushing the envelope of how an all female band can make big waves in rock/metal. And especially here, where I think we have under 5 active female forum members anyways lol.

This isn't really the place to get into the social and political reasons for and history of it, but I think it's just a fact that the number of female professional drummers is relatively small.  Even compared to guitarists, bassists, keyboardists, and especially vocalists.  Notice that the vocalist countdown, while still heavily slanted, at least had a few names and a fair number more past the 25 mark.  You can't really vote for band members that don't exist, and I don't even think it's like there's a mega-popular prog band who we're overlooking, there are just relatively few out to even listen to, you pretty much have to go digging.  I have some stuff for your upcoming roulette though...

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #854 on: June 02, 2023, 01:38:04 PM »
Cobham is definitely on my list.

Also a shame that a couple of guys named Porcaro and Colaiuta haven't appeared.  I have other jazz players on my list, but I thought there was a decent chance that those two would have appeared.  I guess they aren't metal enough.

Porcaro is another. The guy was a genius. If my wife, who doesn't pay attention to drums much at all can recognize how good he was, he highly stands out.

The guy's resume is ridiculous.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #855 on: June 02, 2023, 01:48:05 PM »
But Lonestar, there's not a single band I listen to, or have ever listened to that has a female drummer.
And if The Warning is the best a female band can get, that ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Lovebites
Band Maid

Just to name two bands I know you enjoy on some level

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #856 on: June 02, 2023, 02:04:44 PM »

Lovebites
Band Maid

The Female Jap bands that Lonestar has been pimping pretty hard all have very impressive drummers, but the only band that I can get through an entire album is Lovebites.

:P

I actually really like Lovebites. I listened to their latest album the other day.

The female drummers in these bands are fantastic. It's one thing to play the drums in a rock band, but I think these girls channels some powerful drumming chops.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #857 on: June 02, 2023, 02:15:52 PM »

Lovebites
Band Maid

:P

I actually really like Lovebites. I listened to their latest album the other day.

The female drummers in these bands are fantastic. It's one thing to play the drums in a rock band, but I think these girls channels some powerful drumming chops.

Japanese drummers are so talented across the board, there are probably a dozen more I didn't list on top of the 3 I did, just cause of the prominence of male drummers in my music life. I wasn't trying to start a brazen discussion about this, just was pointing out how little of a mark females have made in the industry over all the years, and how male dominated it is. Shit, if it wasn't for my recent foray into Japanese music, I'd probably only have Senri on my list.

Just on a side note Tim...you are aware that 'Jap' is considered an offensive racial slur, right? You may want to consider dropping it from your lexicon.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #858 on: June 02, 2023, 02:19:17 PM »

Just on a side note Tim...you are aware that 'Jap' is considered an offensive racial slur, right? You may want to consider dropping it from your lexicon.

It's a racial slur? Really. It's an abbreviation. And I was being complimentary.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #859 on: June 02, 2023, 02:28:18 PM »

It's a racial slur? Really. It's an abbreviation. And I was being complimentary.

I know you weren't using g it that way, but yeah, it totally is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #860 on: June 02, 2023, 02:33:31 PM »

Oh boy!

Offline Glasser

« Reply #861 on: June 02, 2023, 02:33:51 PM »

The Iron Maidens? :neverusethis:

Offline Glasser

« Reply #862 on: June 02, 2023, 02:35:44 PM »

Oh boy!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #863 on: June 02, 2023, 02:39:29 PM »

Hah. Not interested.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #864 on: June 02, 2023, 02:46:58 PM »

Eh, they used to have Nita Strauss and still have Courtney Cox on guitar, not a bad group of players to hang your hat with.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #865 on: June 02, 2023, 02:47:56 PM »

:lol

Oh boy!

The more you know

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #866 on: June 02, 2023, 02:53:43 PM »

:lol

Oh boy!

The more you know
...the less I remember. :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #867 on: June 02, 2023, 03:02:35 PM »
I don't *think* I have an album in my collection featuring a female drummer

I have at least three.  A Carpenters compilation album, a Bangles compilation album, and Doll Revolution by the Bangles.  I know Karen Carpenter's name got mentioned earlier, and I've seen clips where she did drum solos that demonstrated real proficiency on the kit, but did any of that come through on actual Carpenters recordings?  Not any I've heard, and those bits and pieces certainly aren't vaulting her ahead of (or anywhere near) anyone I had on my list.  Nor did Debbi Peterson even sniff the top 25.

Pau Villareal?  Nah.  Linda McDonald?  No one who's basically just a tribute band player is gonna make it for me.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked. The diversity here is what makes it special. I have monsters like Bobby Jarzombek, Scott Travis, and Tomas Haake on my list.

Aldridge came in at #25 on my original Ranking Engine results, but I moved the #26 guy to #24, which resulted in Aldridge narrowly missing the list.

Eh, they used to have Nita Strauss and still have Courtney Cox on guitar, not a bad group of players to hang your hat with.

Courteney Cox >> Courtney Cox (although I'm not factoring in guitar skills).   :coolio
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #868 on: June 02, 2023, 03:04:15 PM »
Meg White?

I admit to only know her from what little I've seen of The White Stripes but I didn't see much impressive there.

Then again my list had Phil Rudd.

I had Phil Rudd too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #869 on: June 02, 2023, 03:05:08 PM »

I have at least three.  A Carpenters compilation album, a Bangles compilation album, and Doll Revolution by the Bangles.  I know Karen Carpenter's name got mentioned earlier, and I've seen clips where she did drum solos that demonstrated real proficiency on the kit, but did any of that come through on actual Carpenters recordings?  Not any I've heard, and those bits and pieces certainly aren't vaulting her ahead of (or anywhere near) anyone I had on my list.  Nor did Debbi Peterson even sniff the top 25.

Pau Villareal?  Nah.  Linda McDonald?  No one who's basically just a tribute band player is gonna make it for me.

Aldridge came in at #25 on my original Ranking Engine results, but I moved the #26 guy to #24, which resulted in Aldridge narrowly missing the list.

Courteney Cox >> Courtney Cox (although I'm not factoring in guitar skills).   :coolio

Who's on drums and bass, Jennifer Aniston and Lisa Kudrow?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #870 on: June 02, 2023, 03:05:23 PM »
Well, as we have prematurely moved to the "let's discuss the drummers who didn't make the list" part of the thread :lol, I will say that I am curious to see where Ed Warby lands.  Given how loved Ayreon is around here, I thought he had a good chance to sneak into the top 25.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #871 on: June 02, 2023, 03:07:49 PM »

I got 9 female drummers lined up for Ariich's roulette  :lol

Actually I think there's only two male musicians in all 7 rounds I'm sending.

As to Pau...her stock went way, way up with me after seeing them live earlier this month, she really knows how to play an audience. Such a great performer.

Offline Adami

« Reply #872 on: June 02, 2023, 03:11:52 PM »
Well, as we have prematurely moved to the "let's discuss the drummers who didn't make the list" part of the thread :lol, I will say that I am curious to see where Ed Warby lands.  Given how loved Ayreon is around here, I thought he had a good chance to sneak into the top 25.

I gave a lot of thought to Ed as I’m a huge Arjen fan.

However, as much as I love what he does, he never makes me want to pick up my sticks. I never sit behind my kit and try to channel him. I never want to look him up on YouTube and really get into what he’s doing. And that was mostly my criteria so he didn’t make it. And that applies to a ton of great drummers in bands I love. Just cause I love the band and the drumming is great doesn’t mean they’re going to be a favorite of mine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: June 02, 2023, 03:14:17 PM »
Cobham is definitely on my list.

Also a shame that a couple of guys named Porcaro and Colaiuta haven't appeared.  I have other jazz players on my list, but I thought there was a decent chance that those two would have appeared.  I guess they aren't metal enough.

Porcaro is another. The guy was a genius. If my wife, who doesn't pay attention to drums much at all can recognize how good he was, he highly stands out.

The guy's resume is ridiculous.

He is amazing.  I had him at #31, and he would have been higher had I liked more of the MUSIC he played on.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #874 on: June 02, 2023, 03:19:03 PM »
I think Meg White blows, but Cindy Blackman - she drummed with Lenny Kravitz for the better part of two decades - is the real deal.  I've seen Lenny four times as an opener, and she was the star of the show all four times.

I don't know her name, but the woman who drummed with Meanstreak on this last tour was really good too.