Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)  (Read 27001 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)
« Reply #1015 on: June 04, 2023, 01:54:34 PM »
A few random thoughts.

*I'm kind of shocked that I was the only one to vote for Peter Wildoer.  I don't expect everyone else to be super familiar with Darkane, Armageddon, Pestilence, Time Requiem, and other bands he's played with, but I would have thought placing third in the DT drum auditions and playing on two JLB albums would have him on more people's radars. 

*Martin Axenrot getting only 7 points despite being with Opeth for over a decade and them still being a flagship prog band is surprising, but then, Hearne and others didn't make it either. 

*Maybe I'm not as surprised, but it's interesting how little of a showing the death metal gods had, with low totals for guys like Derek Roddy (even despite getting a spotlight from the DT auditions), George Kollias, John Longstreth, and no votes at all for staples like Flo Mounier and Nick Barker. 

*I'm sort of surprised that Clive Burr had over double the points that Scott Travis had. 

*Other djent-adjacent players continued to not perform that well, notably with Tomas Haake and the aforementioned Matt Halpern.  No Jay Postones at all. 

*I remember the mainstream beginner fixation on Jordison vs. Travis Barker, which Jordison wins heavily here. 

*I feel bad seeing Elvin Jones with only 3 votes, but also, I didn't vote for him, so I'm partially to blame.  Oh well. 

*It was serendipitous seeing Budgie.  Really creative player that I completely forget, who might have made my honorable mentions list. 

*The biggest single snub for me is Sean Reinert, who only I voted for.  Disappointed to not see any other Dirk Verbeuren or Daniel Liljekvist votes either. 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 02:48:10 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1016 on: June 04, 2023, 01:57:43 PM »
Litho: I had Roddy and Longstreth. Longstreth is insane. Also had Clive.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1017 on: June 04, 2023, 02:04:28 PM »
Reinert just missed out being on my list dude.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1018 on: June 04, 2023, 03:13:41 PM »
 :tup

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1019 on: June 04, 2023, 03:30:31 PM »
A few random thoughts.

*I'm kind of shocked that I was the only one to vote for Peter Wildoer.  I don't expect everyone else to be super familiar with Darkane, Armageddon, Pestilence, Time Requiem, and other bands he's played with, but I would have thought placing third in the DT drum auditions and playing on two JLB albums would have him on more people's radars. 

*Martin Axenrot getting only 7 points despite being with Opeth for over a decade and them still being a flagship prog band is surprising, but then, Hearne and others didn't make it either. 

*Maybe I'm not as surprised, but it's interesting how little of a showing the death metal gods had, with low totals for guys like Derek Roddy (even despite getting a spotlight from the DT auditions), George Kollias, John Longstreth, and no votes at all for staples like Flo Mounier and Nick Barker. 

*I'm sort of surprised that Clive Burr had over double the points that Scott Travis had. 

*Other djent-adjacent players continued to not perform that well, notably with Tomas Haake and the aforementioned Matt Halpern.  No Jay Postones at all. 

*I remember the mainstream beginner fixation on Jordison vs. Travis Barker, which Jordison wins heavily here. 

*I feel bad seeing Elvin Jones with only 3 votes, but also, I didn't vote for him, so I'm partially to blame.  Oh well. 

*It was serendipitous seeing Budgie.  Really creative player that I completely forget, who might have made my honorable mentions list. 

*The biggest single snub for me is Sean Reinert, who only I voted for.  Disappointed to not see any other Dirk Verbeuren or Daniel Liljekvist votes either.

I didn't send a list, but I suspect it would've had some good overlap with yours, Litho.

Definitely good calls with Verbeuren and Reinert. They would have very likely made my list. My favorite performance on a Soilwork record by Verbeuren is probably Stabbing the Drama - there's some absolutely delicious stuff going on there from a drumming standpoint. Reinert - well, he was pretty amazing. I mentioned it not long ago: Aghora's debut would be worth having (on top of being a very good record of course!) purely on the strength of the Reinert/Malone rhythm section. I might have forgotten Liljekvist, but he's so good. Very unique style.

Oh, and another one that I think only got a vote from you - Sevendust's Morgan Rose. His grooves and energy are off the charts. Purely for drumming, Seasons is probably my favorite performance of his.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1020 on: June 04, 2023, 05:03:08 PM »

Ray Hearne   75

Raymond Hearne   14

Flag on the play.

This is why I'll leave future lists to the pro ;)

All good!  You did fine, sir.  :tup :tup

I know it was asked who will do bassists next, but I am thinking favorite keyboardists will be the next.  :hat :hat

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1021 on: June 04, 2023, 05:17:57 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1022 on: June 04, 2023, 05:26:24 PM »
I can probably do bassist, but keyboardist might be a struggle...

Wonder if Geddy will place in both  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1023 on: June 04, 2023, 05:27:47 PM »
Yeah, he'd be one of the 10 keyboardists I might be able to name.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1024 on: June 04, 2023, 05:29:47 PM »
I’m sure we have plenty of posters who would struggle to limit their list of favorite keyboardists to 25, but I’m not sure I can get to 25 without just naming every keyboardist in every band I like.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1025 on: June 04, 2023, 05:35:31 PM »
I’m sure we have plenty of posters who would struggle to limit their list of favorite keyboardists to 25, but I’m not sure I can get to 25 without just naming every keyboardist in every band I like.

Exactly.. I'd have all 4 of the Yes players, 3 from IQ, 3 from DT....

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1026 on: June 04, 2023, 05:47:21 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering if top 15 or 20 might be the way to go on that.  It would obviously include piano players as well.   

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1027 on: June 04, 2023, 05:55:08 PM »
I think I would struggle with the Keyboardist after top 10....top bass players would also be tough but easier than keyboard.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1028 on: June 04, 2023, 06:04:57 PM »
Just to check, I got 20 keyboardists but had to google most of their names. And my list didn't include the 20-30 guys who played on every prog album from the 70's and 80's. So I guess it wouldn't be quite as hard since most of the posters here will focus on those guys who did prog in the 70's and 80's.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1029 on: June 04, 2023, 06:08:33 PM »
Yeah, I was wondering if top 15 or 20 might be the way to go on that.  It would obviously include piano players as well.   

Eek, I need 25 for keyboardists and 25 for pianists.  Combining them down to 15 would be murder. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1030 on: June 04, 2023, 06:12:27 PM »

Eek, I need 25 for keyboardists and 25 for pianists.  Combining them down to 15 would be murder.

Don't forget another 25 for organists and 25 for synthesizers.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1031 on: June 04, 2023, 06:15:25 PM »
The Pan Flute will be easy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1032 on: June 04, 2023, 06:19:34 PM »
5. Gil Moore (Triumph) Not gonna happen ('specially if Joe/RJ didn't put him on their lists) ... I'm sorry, but in the 80s, he was as important a drummer in a Canadian three piece band (and almost as talented) as the winner of this poll.  It's a shame the band fell apart in '89.  Imagine if Geddy left Rush after Signals and they had disbanded ... that's essentially what happened with Triumph.

Looks like you and I were the only ones to list him.  Triumph is criminally underappreciated.

Also looks like I was the only one to list John Panozzo.  Bummer.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1033 on: June 04, 2023, 06:24:52 PM »
5. Gil Moore (Triumph) Not gonna happen ('specially if Joe/RJ didn't put him on their lists) ... I'm sorry, but in the 80s, he was as important a drummer in a Canadian three piece band (and almost as talented) as the winner of this poll.  It's a shame the band fell apart in '89.  Imagine if Geddy left Rush after Signals and they had disbanded ... that's essentially what happened with Triumph.

Looks like you and I were the only ones to list him.  Triumph is criminally underappreciated.

I wouldn't say that, I had Rik very prominently on both my guitar and vocalist list, Gil just never blew me away as a drummer.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1034 on: June 04, 2023, 06:30:24 PM »
Same for me and I love Triumph. Saw them twice live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1035 on: June 04, 2023, 06:41:37 PM »

I wouldn't say that, I had Rik very prominently on both my guitar and vocalist list, Gil just never blew me away as a drummer.

Even so (and, while Emmett fared better, he still didn't do well on either list), I still think my premise is valid.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: June 04, 2023, 06:44:23 PM »
That's because the fogeys are outnumbered here on a prog rock forum. Lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1037 on: June 04, 2023, 06:46:33 PM »
Gil Moore would have made my top 25 for sure in my younger days, but not anymore.  He was good, but nothing special, and I rarely listen to Triumph anymore.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1038 on: June 04, 2023, 06:50:44 PM »

I would say that this might be a bit strong, but your point is well taken. There was as much Triumph being played on the radio as there was Rush, but even in the early 80's it still felt like Triumph was still a notch or two below Rush.
I wouldn't put Gil Moore anywhere near Neil Peart. If anything, I'd say Gil held Triumph back in both drumming and vocals.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1039 on: June 04, 2023, 06:56:24 PM »
Thinking about a keyboardist list, and it is funny how often there seems to be a lot of turnover in bands who have keyboardists. I don’t think I’d have a hard time listing 25 but I probably wouldn’t be too passionate about them. Now bassists I think would be a lot more to go in in making a list. Love me some bassists.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1040 on: June 04, 2023, 07:22:06 PM »

Freddie Mercury would edge out him and Little Richard by the skin of his teeth! 😉😀
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1041 on: June 04, 2023, 07:23:26 PM »

Freddie Mercury would edge out him and Little Richard by the skin of his teeth! 😉😀

Let's leave skin and teeth out of this conversation.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1042 on: June 04, 2023, 09:11:31 PM »

I would say that this might be a bit strong, but your point is well taken. There was as much Triumph being played on the radio as there was Rush, but even in the early 80's it still felt like Triumph was still a notch or two below Rush.
I wouldn't put Gil Moore anywhere near Neil Peart. If anything, I'd say Gil held Triumph back in both drumming and vocals.

Yeah, for me Triumph's appeal was 99% Rik, and there's no way the band could've survived without him.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1043 on: June 05, 2023, 04:55:09 AM »
Ironic, since he was the last addition to the band. It really was Gil’s band.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1044 on: June 05, 2023, 07:17:45 AM »
25   Bill Bruford (Reasonable chance, depending.)
24   Lee Kerslake - Ozzy Osbourne (No chance in hell; there are other drummers IN HIS BAND that might, though.)
23   Roger Taylor - Queen (He's either going to be in someone's top ten or not on the list, so probably won't make the final.)
22   Phil Rudd - AC/DC (No chance. I might take some crap for this one.)
21   Tim Alexander - Primus (No chance; most people won't know who he is.)
20   Liberty DeVito - Billy Joel (No chance.)
19   Zak Starkey - The Who/Oasis (No chance (part of what will possibly be the only "father/son" pair on anyone's list)
18   Bill Kreutzmann - The Grateful Dead (No chance, due to this band being a pariah around here.)
17   Ian Mosely - Marillion (60-40 he makes it.)
16   Ian Paice - Deep Purple/Whitesnake (Probably no chance, but a crying shame.  The man is a mule.)
15.   Matt Cameron - Soundgarden/Temple Of The Dog/Pearl Jam (Slim chance; he is arguably my vote for best drummer in his genre, though there's another guy that gets all the press.)
14   Chester Thompson - Genesis/Frank Zappa (One of three guys from a certain band to make my list; probably won't make the final.)
13   Keith Moon (90% lock)
12   Carl Palmer - ELP/Asia (100% lock)
11   Clive Burr - Iron Maiden (Slim chance; the other guy who replaced him has a better shot.)
10   Charlie Watts - The Rolling Stones (Should be a 100% lock; this forum?  50-50 at best.)
9   Cozy Powell (I submitted my predictions AFTER this)
8   Nicko McBrain No. 11's "other guy".   Should be 70-30 to make it.
7   Brad Carlson (Bun E. Carlos) - Cheap Trick (Sadly, no chance.)
6   Bill Ward (Sadly, probably no chance; he's a pale shell of his former self, but some of his early live work is incendiary.)
5   Ringo Starr (SHOULD BE 100% lock.)
4   Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater/87 Other Bands (100% lock)
3   John Bonham (100% lock)
2   Phil Collins (100% lock)
1   Neil Peart - Rush (100% lock and my guess for Number One overall.)

Really, my top four is pretty interchangeable.  Neil was always going to be number one.  I wanted to give some love to Phil Collins, so I put him at two.   I think even Mike would put Bonham ahead of him.  But number four is no dig on the Man.   He's such a part of my musical life, it's not even funny.  Other than the Metal Allegiance, I've supported everything he's done, and other than MA, Adrenaline Mob and Winery Dogs, I actively listen to his work more than basically anyone on this list.  One of the very few MUSICIANS (Blackmore is the other) that I go see regardless of what the actual band or music is.  I just love watching him play his instrument.   

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1045 on: June 05, 2023, 07:44:53 AM »
Nice.. Another mention of Paice... It says a lot that of all the Japanese drummers I follow, most of them name him as an inspiration. That speaks volumes.

Also I knew someone had to mention a Dead drummer, even though I had the other one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1046 on: June 05, 2023, 08:15:55 AM »
Thanks for running, this, Karolis!

Here is my obligatory list, with picks that made the final list bolded:

1   John Bonham
2   Mike Portnoy
3   Neil Peart
4   Vinnie Colaiuta
5   Steve Gadd
6   Chester Thompson
7   Kenny Aronoff
8   Mike Mangini
9   Bill Bruford
10   Billy Cobham
11   Jeff Porcaro
12   Carter Beauford
13   Danny Carey
14   Larry Mullen Jr.
15   Tony Williams
16   Virgil Donati
17   Dennis Chambers
18   Bernard Purdie
19   Max Weinberg
20   Ginger Baker
21   Gavin Harrison
22   Stewart Copeland
23   Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown)
24   Marco Minneman
25   Jerome “Bigfoot” Brailey (George Clinton)

I also had Alex Van Halen at # 36, and Keith Moon at # 38.

Someone mentioned Dave Weckl, who is an absolute monster.  I had him ranked at # 35, but probably underranked on my part.

My biggest surprises that didn't make the final are Vinnie Colaiuta and Jeff Porcaro, given the makeup of the forum here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1047 on: June 05, 2023, 08:20:21 AM »
Nice to see the Mighty Max there, hef. A real powerhouse of a drummer.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1048 on: June 05, 2023, 08:45:08 AM »
Nice to see the Mighty Max there, hef. A real powerhouse of a drummer.
He was my first favorite drummer.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1049 on: June 05, 2023, 09:13:43 AM »

Exactly.. I'd have all 4 of the Yes players, 3 from IQ, 3 from DT....

My god, no.  Tony Kaye doesn't belong anywhere NEAR a list like that!   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)