Author Topic: pg1067 on Jeopardy!  (Read 4285 times)

Offline T-ski

Re: pg1067 on Jeopardy!
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2023, 05:50:08 AM »
Great job, you were in it the whole way!

Curious of the process of correcting your score after they initially said your answer was wrong.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2023, 07:22:36 AM »
WTF is a Split Infinitive?  :lol
I have literally never heard of that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2023, 08:10:00 AM »
Great Job!

My biggest problem is I know some of those answers but I have a hard time spitting them out.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2023, 08:19:13 AM »
I very much enjoyed the episode and you did a great job.  I definitely got the final but you answered MANY questions I would've gotten wrong.  I do think you got robbed a bit when they gave you credit for a correct answer after the fact.  Yes, you got the points but had you gotten it in real time you could've gone on to win more.

I've always been curious about how much the clicker comes into play.  I have to think being fast on the draw is a huge part of the game play.  Did you play around with how to hold the device and the fastest way to press the button (use various hand positions, etc) and how much do you get to practice with it?

You looked calm, collected, and smart.  I'd look like Cindy Brady or even worse, Albert Brooks from Broadcast News.   :lol
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2023, 08:20:43 AM »
Great job, Paul!  That was a lot of fun!  Sorry it didn't go your way!

WTF is a Split Infinitive?  :lol
I have literally never heard of that!
Someone didn't pay attention in English class!

An infinitive is a form of a verb preceded by the word "to".  "To be", "to seem", "to go", etc.

To put another word in between "to" and the verb is to perpetrate the grammar sin called a split infinitive.

The worst offender in history, of course, was Gene Rodenberry, who weekly described the Enterprise's 5-year mission as including "to boldly go where no man has gone before."
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2023, 09:12:38 AM »
I loved that!  Great job, Paul!   My wife and I watched the whole thing and enjoyed it. I took some pleasure in the correction, since I yelled out "Eros!" too.   But then again, I also said TB (never would have guessed the right answer in a million years). 

Can't believe you held out on a story where you hassled the 'Hoff!!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2023, 09:14:05 AM »
Very cool! I watched.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2023, 10:24:09 AM »
https://youtu.be/18H4IiE7Qsg

Sweet! I knew the Robert DeNiro answer! I think that was the only one.

You were great on the show Paul!

After watching the whole thing, I knew quite a few of those. You were so calm and composed when telling your anecdote, I would've crumpled.

I THOUGHT the answer was Robert DeNiro, but I had no idea he was a "Jr." so I didn't buzz in.  On the other hand, when I responded to the Ariana Grande clue with "scrunchie," I had forgotten about the "double double letters" category.

I was a little worried about how the story would sound.  When I was telling it, I was starting to realize that it was a longer story than I had time for, and a couple times, it felt like Mayim was rushing me to wrap it up, so I was trying to edit it down in my head.   :lol

The video is set to private :(

Hinky.  If you search on YT for "jeopardy may 2 2023," you should have no trouble finding it.

Can't believe you held out on a story where you hassled the 'Hoff!!!!

Yeah...it was kinda funny when we knocked on his trailer and he answered.  We really weren't expecting him to be there.  He asked if we wanted to stay and watch the game and was super nice.  We declined the invitation (just because that seemed weird), but he came out and took - and signed - Polaroid pictures with my friend and me.  Unfortunately, I don't have mine anymore.

I've always been curious about how much the clicker comes into play.  I have to think being fast on the draw is a huge part of the game play.  Did you play around with how to hold the device and the fastest way to press the button (use various hand positions, etc) and how much do you get to practice with it?

Aside from getting categories that are in your wheelhouse, the buzzer is the single most critical thing.  I think I posted earlier that, before the real games were played, we played rehearsal games.  They brought us up in random groups of 3, and we got time to feel the buzzer and decide how we wanted to hold it.  Each group would play half the board and then switch out, and everyone got to play 2 rehearsal games.  What you don't see on TV is that there are vertical lights on each side of the clue board.  Those lights are the cue to buzz in.  The lights are activated manually at approximately the time the host finishes reading the clue.  However, because it's done manually, it's not precise.  The contestant coordinator suggested that, while the clue was being read, we look at the last word of the clue and wait for that, along with the lights.  If you buzz in early, you're frozen out for 1/4 second, so they tell you to spam the buzzer.  I got on a good roll starting with the 3rd clue after the first commercial, and that allowed me to take the lead after boffing a $1,000 clue and a $2,000 Daily Double.  However, I got way off my game after missing the first clue in the second round.

About Final Jeopardy, other than what I posted last night, I've seen a bunch of stuff on social media.  A lot of people pointed out that there are multiple triple vaccines:  MMR and DTaP - and that pertussis/whooping cough is not the only respiratory illness among them.  Therefore, some folks thought it was a bit of a guess (unless you happened to know the year).  I have a friend whose wife is a doctor, and he told me that she thought the answer was diphtheria.  Obviously, though, TB is wrong because it's not part of a triple vaccine.

The mythology clue is even more interesting.  Admittedly, it was a bit of a guess on my part, but I'm of the opinion that guessing is ok with the $200/$400 clues because the obvious answer is almost always the correct answer.  When I was ruled incorrect and Amanda got Cupid, I didn't think much of it since I didn't realize they were the same god.  The second Daily Double was the 13th clue revealed, so it took them a while to figure it out.

As soon as Kevin called the clue and they revealed the second Daily Double, they stopped the show and asked us to turn away from the board.  They explained that, sometimes (rarely, I assume), there will be a malfunction, and if the contestants aren't looking at the board, it would be no harm/no foul.  We didn't know what was going on.  After about a minute, they said that the "standards and practices" guy needed to talk to us.  This was the same guy who had spoken to us all in the staging area about making sure everything was on the up and up.  At one point, Kevin said something like, "ok Paul, what'd you do?"  The S&P guy then came up to us and told us that they had decided my answer would be deemed correct, so I'd get back the $400 I had lost and an additional $400 for the correct response.  That moved me from $4,200 to $5,000, and Kevin based his wager on the corrected scores.

It didn't really occur to me at the time, but once I got the answer wrong and Amanda got it right, the next clue revealed was the first Daily Double of the round (the Midas clue that I absolutely did know).  Had I been properly given credit, I might have called that next clue and gotten the Daily Double.  Instead, after that happened, I didn't buzz in again until the 16th clue of the round, so I think not getting credit messed me up more than I had thought.

I've seen stuff on social media to the effect that the writers really flubbed this one.  They should have anticipated either Cupid or Eros as a correct response - especially since it wasn't clear whether they were talking about Greek or Roman mythology (apparently, Psyche is the same in both Greek and Roman).  I've even seen a few folks suggest I should be brought back if they do another "second chance" tournament.  No expectations on my part, but that'd be cool!

In the first round, I buzzed in 15 times (almost as many as Kevin and Amanda combined) and got 12 of 15.  In the second round, however, Kevin got in 14 times, which was more than Amanda and I combined.  I was correct on 100% of my second round responses (after the correction), but Kevin was an impressive 20 for 21 for the whole game

What else...I absolutely should NOT have buzzed in on the "parataxis" clue.  I had no idea about it, and I don't think I understood it at the time.  I'm also taking some good-natured ribbing for my "koala" response to the Tasmanian devil clue.  I saw marsupial and recalled having heard something about them being fierce if provoked, but I completely overlooked the "carnivorous" part of the clue.   :lol  After Kevin buzzed in ahead of me on the actual koala clue, he apologized for doing so.  As we were walking out of the studio, someone from the audience complimented me on my knowledge of Australian wildlife.  The interesting part of that is that, when my son was a baby, my wife dubbed him "the little dingo" (a nickname that has partially stuck with him his whole life).  When we were getting close to my daughter being born, we decided that she needed an Australian animal nickname, so we pre-dubbed her "the wombat."  When they showed the video clue with the wombat, I thought to myself, "well...you damn well better get this one!"  Same when the dingo clue came up a bit later.

Oh...another interesting thing...Johnny Gilbert was not present in the studio.  Former Clue Crew member (and now producer) Sarah Witcomb-Fass did all of Johnny's stuff, and he overdubbed it at a later date.  I can't remember if I mentioned it previously, but Jimmy McGuire (also a former Clue Crew member and now the show's stage manager) was the host for the rehearsal games.

When I was there the first day, Ken Jennings came out and talked to all of the contestants for a few minutes (nothing terribly profound).  During the tapings, he also took questions from the audience.  Mayim Bialik didn't do any of that.

Gotta go work now.  Thanks again for everyone's well wishes!   :biggrin:
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2023, 10:32:20 AM »
Awesome insight into the show...thanks bud :tup

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2023, 10:54:54 AM »
The mythology clue is even more interesting.  Admittedly, it was a bit of a guess on my part, but I'm of the opinion that guessing is ok with the $200/$400 clues because the obvious answer is almost always the correct answer. 
That's interesting. I'm sure it's just me, but based on how trivial actually works I've never really noticed the 100/200 questions being any harder than the 1k/2k questions. I'm sure they are, but to me it's always kind of random whether I know it or not.

When I was ruled incorrect and Amanda got Cupid, I didn't think much of it since I didn't realize they were the same god.  The second Daily Double was the 13th clue revealed, so it took them a while to figure it out.
Based on what you said, it seems like maybe they figured it out early, but waited until A: a natural break in play, and B: until it actually mattered to stop the game. Kind of makes sense, assuming that the discrepancy doesn't effect normal play. I suppose if it's a $4k swing then people might have to play differently. In this case probably not so much. Interesting about not being able to look at the board, though. The behind the scenes stuff fascinates me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online faizoff

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2023, 10:54:57 AM »
Thanks for the insight Paul! I was thinking when they accepted your answer at a later time that would've changed the trajectory of the game had it been accepted in the first place.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2023, 02:48:28 PM »

I THOUGHT the answer was Robert DeNiro, but I had no idea he was a "Jr." so I didn't buzz in.  On the other hand, when I responded to the Ariana Grande clue with "scrunchie," I had forgotten about the "double double letters" category.

I was going to (gently) make fun of you for that, because you're usually very, very good at staying in the context of the category.  :)   Plus it was funny to hear "scrunchie" on Jeopardy!!!

The mythology clue is even more interesting.  Admittedly, it was a bit of a guess on my part, but I'm of the opinion that guessing is ok with the $200/$400 clues because the obvious answer is almost always the correct answer.  When I was ruled incorrect and Amanda got Cupid, I didn't think much of it since I didn't realize they were the same god.  The second Daily Double was the 13th clue revealed, so it took them a while to figure it out.

As soon as Kevin called the clue and they revealed the second Daily Double, they stopped the show and asked us to turn away from the board.  They explained that, sometimes (rarely, I assume), there will be a malfunction, and if the contestants aren't looking at the board, it would be no harm/no foul.  We didn't know what was going on.  After about a minute, they said that the "standards and practices" guy needed to talk to us.  This was the same guy who had spoken to us all in the staging area about making sure everything was on the up and up.  At one point, Kevin said something like, "ok Paul, what'd you do?"  The S&P guy then came up to us and told us that they had decided my answer would be deemed correct, so I'd get back the $400 I had lost and an additional $400 for the correct response.  That moved me from $4,200 to $5,000, and Kevin based his wager on the corrected scores.

Did Amanda LOSE $400 as well?  I don't remember noticing that.

What else...I absolutely should NOT have buzzed in on the "parataxis" clue.  I had no idea about it, and I don't think I understood it at the time.  I'm also taking some good-natured ribbing for my "koala" response to the Tasmanian devil clue.  I saw marsupial and recalled having heard something about them being fierce if provoked, but I completely overlooked the "carnivorous" part of the clue.   :lol  After Kevin buzzed in ahead of me on the actual koala clue, he apologized for doing so.  As we were walking out of the studio, someone from the audience complimented me on my knowledge of Australian wildlife.  The interesting part of that is that, when my son was a baby, my wife dubbed him "the little dingo" (a nickname that has partially stuck with him his whole life).  When we were getting close to my daughter being born, we decided that she needed an Australian animal nickname, so we pre-dubbed her "the wombat."  When they showed the video clue with the wombat, I thought to myself, "well...you damn well better get this one!"  Same when the dingo clue came up a bit later.

You got "echidna" right, too, and I was like TAC ("WTF?") on that clue.  On TV you could see Kevin glance over at you at that point; I thought that might have been a more obvious acknowledgement in real life and edited for TV.  :)

Oh...another interesting thing...Johnny Gilbert was not present in the studio.  Former Clue Crew member (and now producer) Sarah Witcomb-Fass did all of Johnny's stuff, and he overdubbed it at a later date.  I can't remember if I mentioned it previously, but Jimmy McGuire (also a former Clue Crew member and now the show's stage manager) was the host for the rehearsal games.

That was something I was going to ask you about; I love Johnny Gilbert; he has a voice right out of a 1950's crime noir film.  :). "Yesterday's winning of one THOUSAND, five hundred and ninety-nine DOLL-ers."   He's in his '90s, isn't he?

When I was there the first day, Ken Jennings came out and talked to all of the contestants for a few minutes (nothing terribly profound).  During the tapings, he also took questions from the audience.  Mayim Bialik didn't do any of that.

I've really come around on Ken Jennings; I hated him as a contestant, and between his hosting gigs and his time on The Chase, I've really come to appreciate him.  I would have much rather met him than Mayim Bialik, no offense to Blossom/Amy Farrah-Fowler. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2023, 02:57:47 PM »
That's interesting. I'm sure it's just me, but based on how trivial actually works I've never really noticed the 100/200 questions being any harder than the 1k/2k questions. I'm sure they are, but to me it's always kind of random whether I know it or not.

The higher dollar clues are SUPPOSED TO BE more difficult, but there are tons of exceptions.  I always find myself asking, "THAT was a $2,000 clue?!"  A lot of times, it'll be a matter of obvious versus non-obvious.  The $1k/$2k clues are almost never the obvious answer.

Based on what you said, it seems like maybe they figured it out early, but waited until A: a natural break in play, and B: until it actually mattered to stop the game. Kind of makes sense, assuming that the discrepancy doesn't effect normal play. I suppose if it's a $4k swing then people might have to play differently. In this case probably not so much. Interesting about not being able to look at the board, though. The behind the scenes stuff fascinates me.

One of the things the contestant coordinator told us was that, if you felt you had gotten something correct, you shouldn't interrupt the game.  Rather, save it for a commercial break.  I have no doubt they waited until the second DD was revealed because it was a natural place where they could break (no commercial breaks during the second round).  As for when they figured it out, it's hard to say.

Did Amanda LOSE $400 as well?  I don't remember noticing that.

No.  The rule on something like that is that the player who was initially ruled incorrect gets the lost money back and gets credit for the correct answer, but a player who swooped in and got the rebound does not lose money.

Johnny Gilbert will be 95 in July, and his Wiki page says that he's been doing his work from home since COVID.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
So I haven't watched an episode of Jeopardy since Ken Jennings was a contestant, and I haven't watched an episode of Wheels Of Fortune in at least as long.
Here, Wheel is on at 7:00 and Jeopardy is 7:30. ANYWAY..

I switched over at 7 to make sure I didn't miss it, and watching Wheel, I simply cannot believe how bad the editing is on that show. The cuts are brutal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2023, 07:50:26 PM »
Fun fact. I had whooping cough as a kid. It was my second guess. At first I thought pneumonia.

Impressive showing, Paul.  :tup
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #85 on: May 04, 2023, 06:19:27 AM »
I had this set to DVR, and it didn't record for whatever reason.  I hate Spectrum sometimes (most times, actually).  The one sports show I DVR daily (First Things First) probably records half the time for no particular reason. 

Sorry to have missed this.  :( :(

Offline pg1067

« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2023, 12:08:20 PM »
The saga continues:  https://www.the-sun.com/entertainment/8021649/jeopardy-cupid-eros-kevin-winner-tonight-drag/

The article itself is mostly a collection of social media posts, but I find the headline to be a bit hilarious.  I also liked this line:  "Paul smiled meekly as his score was updated."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2023, 12:18:03 PM »
"meekly" :lol I mean they could've been at least a bit more sensitive and said "politely".

I didn't watch the video but I think the fact this article exists is already an achievement. Also I do agree you were screwed by that decision a bit.

This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.