Author Topic: Goosebumps moments in music  (Read 5106 times)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Re: Goosebumps moments in music
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2023, 06:40:48 AM »
Also, on another note, this band (Soup) gives me major goosebumps and is almost never mentioned here (and pretty much anywhere) which is a shame. They are listed as Post-Rock which isn’t really representative of their music. They are way more than that. Nothing against post-rock but the vocals on Soup are amazing, like the melodies and the music. I would place them in the same category as Porcupine Tree, Coldplay, Pink Floyd or The Pineapple Thief. If you enjoy goosebumps, melancholic melodies or just prog music in general, go check these songs.

- the roots are decaying (highlight 2:19 and 4:08 for the vocals and the solo that comes next)
- kingdom of color (highlight 3:00 to 4:30 and 6:10 to 8:30 for the gorgeous violon, major goosebumps)
- surrounded by ghost (highlight 1:50 and 2:23 for the gorgeous violon again)
- clandestine eyes

I really had to keep myself from writing this whole post in cap locks.

I want to give you a massive 'internet-hi-five'  :hefdaddy :metal

I've been on the hunt for some new bands over the past few months and literally nothing has 'really' caught my ear....until now!

Been listening to Remedies non-stop for the past few hours (since I read your post). On my third listen, and holy hell this album is a gem.

Like you, I love me some post-rock, but other than a handful of key favorites, I find most of it falls into the 'background music' category for me, which is great (I passively listen to a lot of jazz), but when I'm driving, I tend to need something with vocals to hold my interest and keep me from zoning out.

Thank you, again!

Offline obro

« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2023, 06:56:20 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fpI2PPRAM4&ab_channel=ssvoogel

The song Wake by The Antlers has several huge goosebumps moments for me.
Other songs by them also, but this one probably the most.
It starts around the 4:15 mark into a beautiful passage, then again at 5:00 when the organ kicks in and again from 6:05 when Peter Silberman sings in the higher register, just beautiful!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2023, 08:27:44 AM »
David Bowie's Lazarus. That sax solo paired with the amazing music video, damn, it's just so powerful.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2023, 09:58:27 AM »
I’ve been replaying Spilt Milk by Jellyfish for the last couple of days, and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that it might be the single greatest pop rock album ever recorded. I’m not saying that Jellyfish are better than The Beatles, Queen, or Supertramp. But for one album, they surpassed all of them. It was lightning in a bottle. There’s literally a goosebump moment contained in every single song, and often there’s a few. It’s just one of those rare “perfect albums” where not a single note or sound is wasted. It’s 45 minutes of non-stop pop rock magic.

If I were to list all the goosebump moments on that album, I’d have to make a song by song list. Maybe I’ll sit around and do that later.  But I was just thinking as I was listening to it that there aren’t that many albums out there that can still make me feel like I’m hearing it for the first time 30 years after the fact.

Almost non-stop goosebumps.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kram

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2023, 04:30:47 PM »
Since we all know the DT goosebump moments I'll usedifferent bands with 2 solos.

The end guitar solo in Rush - Mission

The long but emotional solo from Spock's Beard  - She Is Everything.
Yes to both of these!

Offline Kram

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2023, 04:34:37 PM »
The first one I thought of is the crescendo in East Coast Racer by Big Big Train ("She Fliessss") gets me every time!

A few other BBT moments that give me goosebumps- the "key change" in Transit of Venus Across the Sun and the ending of Victorian Brickworks, from about 8:40 til the end.

All of this. Another goosebump moment in Transit of Venus is during the Latin chant section when the keyboard plays a little theme from “Kingmaker.”
Good call. Just incredible song writing!

Online nick_z

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2023, 04:52:47 PM »
I agree with you guys on all of these.  I'd also like to mention the buildup in the middle of King of Loss with all the vocal harmonies - incredible stuff!

The first one I thought of is the crescendo in East Coast Racer by Big Big Train ("She Fliessss") gets me every time!

A few other BBT moments that give me goosebumps- the "key change" in Transit of Venus Across the Sun and the ending of Victorian Brickworks, from about 8:40 til the end.

All of this. Another goosebump moment in Transit of Venus is during the Latin chant section when the keyboard plays a little theme from “Kingmaker.”

Yep to all of these. I've actually revisited TPE Part 1 - hadn't done it in so long. Brings me back a few years  :) Remedy Lane has a slight edge for me, but we are talking prime POS anyway...

Also, on another note, this band (Soup) gives me major goosebumps and is almost never mentioned here (and pretty much anywhere) which is a shame. They are listed as Post-Rock which isn’t really representative of their music. They are way more than that. Nothing against post-rock but the vocals on Soup are amazing, like the melodies and the music. I would place them in the same category as Porcupine Tree, Coldplay, Pink Floyd or The Pineapple Thief. If you enjoy goosebumps, melancholic melodies or just prog music in general, go check these songs.

- the roots are decaying (highlight 2:19 and 4:08 for the vocals and the solo that comes next)
- kingdom of color (highlight 3:00 to 4:30 and 6:10 to 8:30 for the gorgeous violon, major goosebumps)
- clandestine eyes

Didn't know this band at all, and I sampled a few of the songs you highlighted...real nice stuff. I have to be in a certain mood for this kind of low-key melancholy (that is generally true of the bands you have as a point of reference), but I'll be exploring more, for sure.

Oh, and definitely a +1 for the ending of Rush's The Mission. It's beautiful.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2023, 05:16:59 PM »
I’ve been replaying Spilt Milk by Jellyfish for the last couple of days, and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that it might be the single greatest pop rock album ever recorded. I’m not saying that Jellyfish are better than The Beatles, Queen, or Supertramp. But for one album, they surpassed all of them. It was lightning in a bottle. There’s literally a goosebump moment contained in every single song, and often there’s a few. It’s just one of those rare “perfect albums” where not a single note or sound is wasted. It’s 45 minutes of non-stop pop rock magic.

If I were to list all the goosebump moments on that album, I’d have to make a song by song list. Maybe I’ll sit around and do that later.  But I was just thinking as I was listening to it that there aren’t that many albums out there that can still make me feel like I’m hearing it for the first time 30 years after the fact.

it is a perfect record. There are many goosebump moments on it for me.

"Any ol time at all" in New Mistake
 "How does it feel To be the only one that knows that you're right?" in Ghost of Number One

are just a few of  them off the top of my head.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2023, 06:32:18 PM »

it is a perfect record. There are many goosebump moments on it for me.

"Any ol time at all" in New Mistake
 "How does it feel To be the only one that knows that you're right?" in Ghost of Number One

are just a few of  them off the top of my head.

Hush - “Need him he’s THEEEERRRRREEEEEEEE!!! Rest your eyes and sleep tight…GOOOOOOODDDD NIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHHHT”

Joining a Fan Club - Opening chords, “Shake that woody! For me Saint Pinocchio!!” - “I wish I’d loved him before fate crashed his caaaaarrrrrr!”

Sabrina Paste and Plato - the chorus- the heavy riff at the end of the chorus and then briefly goes silent before the second verse.

New Mistake -  “Curtain opens spotlight the gentleman. Signing his love letter, best wishes simpleton. Dialogue…swam from his pen like polliwogs.” - “so far the mason clutching his crucifix, baptized the baby in whiskey and licorice. A lovely way…drowning sins in tooth decay.”

The Glutton of Sympathy - screw it…I give up…this song is just goosebumps non stop

Offline jammindude

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2023, 06:47:34 PM »
Continuing…

The Ghost at Number One - “He’s giving it all he’s got. The king of rebels hit the jackpot, but his finish line was an artistic flop.”

Bye Bye Bye - “they both think back to long ago when thoughts of them both growing old had given them the gray hair they deserved” - “she called his bluff” where it segues into the background verses.

All is Forgiven - “HYPOCRITE FOREFLUSHER SNAKE IN THE GRASS JUST A SWINDLER AND WOLF IN SHEEPS CLOTHING……LIAR!!!!”

Russian Hill - that transition from All is Forgiven - the chorus - “only Eden is for millionaires.”

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2023, 09:04:47 PM »
Soup are talked about on some YouTube channels I follow: Notesreviews, The Prog Corner and Dr. Spin among some others. I enjoy Giant Sky, but from memory, didn't quite get into Soup as much. But I dont think if I've spent enough time.
Don’t know these channels but I’ll check them out!

- clandestine eyes

I've been on the hunt for some new bands over the past few months and literally nothing has 'really' caught my ear....until now!

Been listening to Remedies non-stop for the past few hours (since I read your post). On my third listen, and holy hell this album is a gem.

Like you, I love me some post-rock, but other than a handful of key favorites, I find most of it falls into the 'background music' category for me, which is great (I passively listen to a lot of jazz), but when I'm driving, I tend to need something with vocals to hold my interest and keep me from zoning out.

Thank you, again!

Dude I’ll gladly return your massive virtual hi-five for sharing common musical tastes  :tup. I got into them with Remedies as well and I just instantly fell in love with their calming and gorgeous music. Their other albums are amazing as well.

Also, I also feel the exact same way about what you said regarding post-rock as background music as opposed to music with vocal that you can focus more on when ur driving,

I agree with you guys on all of these.  I'd also like to mention the buildup in the middle of King of Loss with all the vocal harmonies - incredible stuff!

- clandestine eyes

Didn't know this band at all, and I sampled a few of the songs you highlighted...real nice stuff. I have to be in a certain mood for this kind of low-key melancholy (that is generally true of the bands you have as a point of reference), but I'll be exploring more, for sure.

Glad to know you enjoyed!
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline jammindude

« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2023, 12:03:36 AM »
Third and final installment:

He’s My Best Friend - the chorus…every damn time. Also “he doesn’t need a rubber sweater or alcohol”

Too Much, Too Little, Too Late - “What happened to the Musketeers of chesterfields?
Tobacco swords behind smoky shields…” - “say goodnight (goodnight)” - “Spare me the vague, not-so-clever couplets…the ones I would have loved when I was yoooouuuuu”

Brighter Day - “oh my country tears of thee” - “Cause right behind you in the back of the fray is a blade, he's a renegade turning bullshit into marmalade.”

THE END

And even this is just the highlights. If I literally took ALL the goosebumps from this album, I might as well just recite the album.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2023, 01:44:26 AM »
Vinnie Colaiutas superbly minimalistic pickup-fill into the 2nd verse in My heart will go on! Has to be the album version not the OST version, some asshole edited out most of the real drums on the movie soundtrack.

Have to say Winter's Gate pt 7 by Insomnium, the fact that's it's so aggressive followed by the peaceful instrumental ending always get's me.

Sing a quiet song to me
Sing of spring and sing of sea
Sing a silent song to me
Sing of hope and sing of sleep

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 01:59:56 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2023, 06:52:38 AM »

- clandestine eyes

Thank you, again!

I want to also shout out about Soup. Because of these posts I gave them a listen and totally into it. Its so moody, I love it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2023, 08:00:08 AM »
First thing that came to mind is Ian Gillan's G5 "WHHHYYYYYYYYYYY should I die?!" in Gethsemane, from Jesus Christ Superstar (1970). Come to think of it, that whole album has a few: Pilate's "then I heard them mentioning my name, and leaving me the blame" and Judas's "I shall be dragged through the slime and the, slime and the, SLIME AND THE MUD!"

Watching this performance of Ted Neeley as well (at age 63!). Apologies as I have posted this video before. I have no idea what goes on backstage during musicals, but do performers often watch their fellow actors on stage, and be so moved by a song like these guys and gals are?

https://youtu.be/0rEVwwB3Iw0?t=183

I remember quite well your original post of this.   :tup  Along with this, add  'alright.... I-I-I-I-I-I 'LL DIE'.

And the foreboding guitar and the first notes of 'Overture'.

Speaking of which, I'll also add Dream Theater's 'Overture 1928', along with many moments during 'The Razor's Edge' Score version.

Two 'Pavlovian' leading up to those chills:  the ending of the 'Sgt. Pepper reprise' as it fades into those first few guitar notes of 'A Day In The Life'.  There's about twenty more during the song.

'Good Company' from 'A Night At The Opera': I enjoy the dixieland ending instrumental, but the goosebumps start at the reprise of the intro, hit overdrive on that lovely short piccolo......

.......and then, of course, go off the charts at ...... 'Is this the real life, is this just fantasy.......'   :hefdaddy  :heart

« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 08:10:08 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2023, 09:04:31 AM »
The chorus and the elevation of emotion to the chorus at the end of Dare You To Move by Switchfoot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2023, 09:41:22 AM »

- clandestine eyes

Thank you, again!

I want to also shout out about Soup. Because of these posts I gave them a listen and totally into it. Its so moody, I love it.

Very moody indeed, glad to know you enjoyed!  :tup
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Kram

« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2023, 04:40:41 PM »

Yep to all of these. I've actually revisited TPE Part 1 - hadn't done it in so long. Brings me back a few years  :) Remedy Lane has a slight edge for me, but we are talking prime POS anyway...

For me The Perfect Element has the slight edge, but both albums are top 10 all-time albums by anyone for me. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2023, 04:42:15 PM »
Paul Gilbert's guitar solo at the end of Neal Morse's The Door.  One of my all time favorite guitar solos that still gives me goosebumps.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2023, 08:12:12 PM »
Faith No More - that one part in Caffeine

I’M WARNING YOOOOUUUU!!!!

I’M F***ING YOOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!

I’M WARNING YOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!

Relax…..it’s juuuust a phase…

You’ll grow out of it!

Online nick_z

« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2023, 08:23:01 AM »
Faith No More - that one part in Caffeine

I’M F***ING YOOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!

I’M WARNING YOOOOOOUUUUU!!!!!!!

Relax…..it’s juuuust a phase…

You’ll grow out of it!

:metal

Caffeine is amazing...as is the whole Angel Dust album. My absolute favorite from FNM.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2023, 08:18:02 AM »
Been on a Mastodon kick today, and there are so many!

The bridge in Roots Remain and subsequent solo.

The solo after "Spiraling up through the crack in the sky
Leaving material world behind
I see your face in constellations
The martyr is ending his life for mine"
in The Czar.

The solo and outro to Gigantium (and the same for Jaguar God to be honest).

Just incredible stuff. These are probably my top 4 Brent solos, I just love him.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 08:32:12 AM by twosuitsluke »

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2023, 09:02:18 AM »
I've been reading through this thread, and I must say...I'm weird. I get all the moments you folks have latched onto, but when I really think about goosebump moments for me, they're almost always heavy, sweaty, teeth grinding passages.

Take twosutsluke's mention of Mastodon. For me 1:48 on Mother Puncher through the end is gooseflesh city. Or, or, :45 seconds into Roots Remain "...And the sky opened up and it swallowed us whole..." Fuck yes!

There are thousands of these moments that have gripped me over the years. Yes, maybe a few were pretty, melodic moments, but by far I'm inspired by head banging.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2023, 09:13:49 AM »
I get what you mean dude, but for me it is totally epic guitar solos and orchestral scores that get me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2023, 09:16:25 AM »
Crescendos and resolutions.  Whether it's a vocal line or a guitar/keyboard part, I'm a sucker for a good crescendo and resolution (followed closely by modulations). 

Online nick_z

« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2023, 03:46:50 PM »
I've been reading through this thread, and I must say...I'm weird. I get all the moments you folks have latched onto, but when I really think about goosebump moments for me, they're almost always heavy, sweaty, teeth grinding passages.

Take twosutsluke's mention of Mastodon. For me 1:48 on Mother Puncher through the end is gooseflesh city. Or, or, :45 seconds into Roots Remain "...And the sky opened up and it swallowed us whole..." Fuck yes!

There are thousands of these moments that have gripped me over the years. Yes, maybe a few were pretty, melodic moments, but by far I'm inspired by head banging.  :lol

I get it, absolutely! And that was exactly the spirit of this thread...the idea that "goosebumps" can be caused by all sorts of emotions in music. I'd love to hear more of your favorite brutal, headbanging goosebump moments  ;)

I just thought of one moment - it might not be the heaviest or most brutal but, man, when it hits, it does with a bang (quite literally, in this case) - Rammstein - Feuer Frei!, around the 40-second mark:

https://youtu.be/ZkW-K5RQdzo?t=35

What a song...

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2023, 04:19:33 PM »

Rockin'!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online nick_z

« Reply #97 on: May 04, 2023, 04:26:03 PM »
Been on a Mastodon kick today, and there are so many!

The bridge in Roots Remain and subsequent solo.

The solo after "Spiraling up through the crack in the sky
Leaving material world behind
I see your face in constellations
The martyr is ending his life for mine"
in The Czar.

The solo and outro to Gigantium (and the same for Jaguar God to be honest).

Just incredible stuff. These are probably my top 4 Brent solos, I just love him.

Yes to all of this!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #98 on: May 04, 2023, 04:28:00 PM »
The stuff I’ve mentioned may not be heavy. But I can assure you that every single one of those Jellyfish moments give me very literal goosebumps, hair standing on end, and a chill throughout my body.

Guess I’m just weird.

Online nick_z

« Reply #99 on: May 04, 2023, 04:36:54 PM »
The stuff I’ve mentioned may not be heavy. But I can assure you that every single one of those Jellyfish moments give me very literal goosebumps, hair standing on end, and a chill throughout my body.

Guess I’m just weird.

Because of your posts, I have the album on my to-revisit list (haven't listened to it in forever!)...

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2023, 05:37:46 PM »
I wanna add U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name. Seeing that live was like a religious experience, but even on the album the opening build up is pretty great.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: May 04, 2023, 06:09:26 PM »
I wanna add U2 - Where the Streets Have No Name. Seeing that live was like a religious experience, but even on the album the opening build up is pretty great.

I felt that with "40."  I saw them play that as an encore in 1985.  One by one they left the stage with Bono left signing, "How long, to sing this song?"  We sang it for 5 minutes after he left the stage and then the lights came on. It was an amazing moment. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #102 on: May 04, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »

I felt that with "40."  I saw them play that as an encore in 1985.  One by one they left the stage with Bono left signing, "How long, to sing this song?"  We sang it for 5 minutes after he left the stage and then the lights came on. It was an amazing moment.

That's an awesome story–they were playing it live that long before Joshua Tree came out?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 04, 2023, 06:15:40 PM »
40 was on the album, "War" which was 1983.  I saw that tour as well as a 15 year old.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #104 on: May 04, 2023, 07:05:55 PM »
40 was on the album, "War" which was 1983.  I saw that tour as well as a 15 year old.

Ahhhh… that’s what I get for not thoroughly reading your post… though you were talking about Streets…