Author Topic: Goosebumps moments in music  (Read 5109 times)

Offline nick_z

Re: Goosebumps moments in music
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2023, 11:40:53 AM »
Adding a few more, just because  :)

Pain of Salvation - Dryad of the Woods, starting around 3:15

https://youtu.be/7GWjDt2r_8E?t=194

You can almost "feel" something beautiful is about to happen...I wish this lasted a little longer before fading out...

Sentenced - Forever Lost. I mean, the whole song (the whole album!) is fantastic, but if we are talking fist-pumping, epic goosebumps moment, starting around 4:50, it's like top-shelf Maiden not being played by Maiden

https://youtu.be/eXnD5CtvEKg?t=285

(seriously, though, Amok is such a incredible album. So unique, even within Sentenced's discography. It truly captures the transition between the death-ier beginnings and the later, more melodic stuff and it's my favorite)

Evergrey - Rulers of the Mind. Again, a great song overall from my favorite Evergrey album, but the quiet part starting around 2:45 and then leading into the moment around 3:50 is a highlight:

https://youtu.be/eLwJmLEio4s?t=160

Offline pg1067

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2023, 12:20:14 PM »
There's so many but the one that jumps to mind is 5:14 in Yes' Turn of the Century. I wish the production was better to make it really explode but that ending section has such a joyous vibe with Jon's vocals and Steve going nuts in the background that I haven't found in many songs and it just blows me away. I'm so happy that song exists.

Love that part.

Also the keyboard run at about 4:30 or so into Awaken.

The whole damn song is a goosebump moment!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2023, 12:26:56 PM »
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 live gives me goosebumps every time and I've seen it at least 10 times. I'm a sucker for a good "woah" and audience participation.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2023, 02:00:50 PM »
Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth 3 live gives me goosebumps every time and I've seen it at least 10 times. I'm a sucker for a good "woah" and audience participation.

My god yes! It's great on record, but live it's something else! Live Coheed shows are always incredible though and those 'among the fence' are a dedicated bunch  :heart

My goosebumps moments, well anything John Williams composed for Star Wars/ET plus others.

I was listening to the Distant Worlds Orchestra version of Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII earlier and that has serious goosebump moments, specifically around the 3:25 mark.

Lastly, I'll add the intro and first song on Metallica's S&M album. The orchestral Ecstasy of Gold into Call of Ktulu THEN into Master of Puppets is the greatest thing Metallica ever did, absolutely flawless.

I just realised, that everything I mentioned above is orchestral. Clearly that's really what bumps my geese!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 02:30:21 PM by twosuitsluke »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2023, 03:44:37 PM »
I'm doing some more as I'm enjoying revisiting these moments...

Dead Can Dance - Summoning of the Muse. The whole piece has this incredible atmosphere, with Lisa Gerrard's otherworldly vocals, but the part around 2:35 is just so beautiful:

https://youtu.be/kmgXvvO-N78?t=145

Chroma Key - On the Page. Always had a soft spot for Kevin Moore's first solo effort with Chroma Key, and this song is one of my favorites on it. Love his playing here, and especially the part starting around 2:55:

https://youtu.be/krRLZ9Wp1Fc?t=171

Saviour Machine - Legion. A special, special debut from this band. Such a unique sound, between classic and gothic/dark metal. This song is incredible all around, but the part starting just past 1:25 is goosebumps all the way:

https://youtu.be/cg75KSDjomo?t=75

Offline nick_z

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2023, 03:47:43 PM »

I was listening to the Distant Worlds Orchestra version of Main Theme of Final Fantasy VII earlier and that has serious goosebump moments, specifically around the 3:25 mark.

So, I'm completely ignorant on the Final Fantasy subject (other than knowing that it's one of the most popular game series ever). I have seen the soundtrack(s) mentioned on a variety of occasions, though. If I wanted to sample some stuff - in addition to the piece above, of course - do you have any suggestions for a crash course?

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2023, 01:13:28 PM »

You can almost "feel" something beautiful is about to happen...I wish this lasted a little longer before fading out...

So true. Totally agree with this.

Few other ones from the same album:
- A Trace of Blood: the beginning of that songs puts me straight up into it with that amazing piano notes before the haunting guitar kicks in. No intro needed for this 8 minutes of pure awesomeness. Also 4:50 in that song is a big goosebump moment with the calm guitar and the tension building towards the last part of this masterpiece with Daniel amazing vocals. All of the choruses of that song are epic goosebumps too.
- undertow: the tension building all over that song is epic, I’m gonna mention 3:30 because I feel like the song is at its peak there
- beyond the pale: 5:25 with Daniel screams before the guitar solo drops

Finally, on TPE1 , 4:35-5:50 on the song The Perfect Element is one of the greatest musical/goosebump moment ever IMO.
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2023, 01:49:56 PM »
Toehider - I Have Little To No Memory of These Memories - 41:51 - end of song - Apparently I enjoy songs that are very uplifting both musically and lyrically. I just love the message presented in the chorus lyrics;
"A billion things will happen every day
endless mess of shots and ricochets - but who cares!
You’ll work it out eventually
Even if it takes another creature’s thoughts to find out who you are!"

Just a short moment in a nearly 48 minute song, but it's the main moment I really enjoy in this entire song, because of the music that is being played behind the lyrics, like the nice piano notes that appear during "You'll work it out eventually."
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline nick_z

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2023, 04:23:44 PM »

- A Trace of Blood: the beginning of that songs puts me straight up into it with that amazing piano notes before the haunting guitar kicks in. No intro needed for this 8 minutes of pure awesomeness. Also 4:50 in that song is a big goosebump moment with the calm guitar and the tension building towards the last part of this masterpiece with Daniel amazing vocals. All of the choruses of that song are epic goosebumps too.
- undertow: the tension building all over that song is epic, I’m gonna mention 3:30 because I feel like the song is at its peak there

Finally, on TPE1 , 4:35-5:50 on the song The Perfect Element is one of the greatest musical/goosebump moment ever IMO.

Yeah, POS have many of these moments, especially on TPE1 and Remedy Lane. These are all great, and the one you mention on The Perfect Element (the song) really shows the band at its emotional best…great stuff…

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2023, 04:37:23 PM »

So, I'm completely ignorant on the Final Fantasy subject (other than knowing that it's one of the most popular game series ever). I have seen the soundtrack(s) mentioned on a variety of occasions, though. If I wanted to sample some stuff - in addition to the piece above, of course - do you have any suggestions for a crash course?

My favourite full soundtracks are Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII & IX. Listening without the nostalgia attached, these will sound pretty dated for the most part.

The best place to start is the Distant Worlds live orchestral albums. They've released loads of them now, but the first two are where it's at. They have the best setlists by far, although subsequent albums are still pretty good.

Lastly, I'd suggest checking out the Black Mages. They are a prog metal band (unfortunately disbanded) featuring original composer Nobuo Uematsu on keyboards. They released three albums covering various Final Fantasy classics.

I can suggest some more individual songs but these albums are a great start point.

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2023, 04:49:04 PM »
From 3:41 to the end. It's basically the entire guitar solo by Lofstad, but the keys/piano are amazing as well.

https://youtu.be/wNhX3XV-f6k

Offline nick_z

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2023, 06:43:17 PM »

My favourite full soundtracks are Final Fantasy VI, VII, VIII & IX. Listening without the nostalgia attached, these will sound pretty dated for the most part.

The best place to start is the Distant Worlds live orchestral albums. They've released loads of them now, but the first two are where it's at. They have the best setlists by far, although subsequent albums are still pretty good.

Lastly, I'd suggest checking out the Black Mages. They are a prog metal band (unfortunately disbanded) featuring original composer Nobuo Uematsu on keyboards. They released three albums covering various Final Fantasy classics.

I can suggest some more individual songs but these albums are a great start point.

Thank you, Luke :tup

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2023, 12:42:36 AM »
Here's a few that comes to mind that atleast used to give me goosebumps:

18:50- Symphony X - The Divine Wings Of Tragedy
6:25- Rhapsody - Shadows Of Death

Some classical moments:
Respighi - Pines of Rome - The whole 4th movement is one giant buildup of emotions.
Shostakovich - No 11 Symphony - The 9th of January
https://youtu.be/VZQ0EEOBqqQ
13:04 and onwards is war, it's such a powerful and well written part that triumph any movie score.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline JLa

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2023, 02:16:25 AM »
The ending to Opeth - The Baying of the Hounds is up there for me. The strumming from 9:42, building tension. Quick snare hits at 9:58, immediately followed by a classic Akerfeldt growl, and then ... goosebumps. :)

https://youtu.be/vQbH4vFYYVs?t=582

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: April 24, 2023, 03:45:37 AM »
Yep, that's a good one. Such a great way to end a song.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Animal

« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2023, 06:27:43 AM »
Here's a few that comes to mind that atleast used to give me goosebumps:

6:25- Rhapsody - Shadows Of Death

Some classical moments:
Respighi - Pines of Rome - The whole 4th movement is one giant buildup of emotions.
Shostakovich - No 11 Symphony - The 9th of January
https://youtu.be/VZQ0EEOBqqQ
13:04 and onwards is war, it's such a powerful and well written part that triumph any movie score.

Speaking of classical music, Dies Irae and Tuba Mirum of Verdi's Requiem are one uninterrupted stream of goosebumps moments (actually, the whole thing is).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHw4GER-MiE

I'll definitely have to check Shostakovich. One of the composers I keep hearing good things about but haven't had time to get into yet....

Offline nick_z

« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2023, 09:24:59 AM »
From 3:41 to the end. It's basically the entire guitar solo by Lofstad, but the keys/piano are amazing as well.

https://youtu.be/wNhX3XV-f6k

Yes, I love Lofstad's playing!

That's a good one, for sure. Indeed, SymX do have a few...

The ending to Opeth - The Baying of the Hounds is up there for me. The strumming from 9:42, building tension. Quick snare hits at 9:58, immediately followed by a classic Akerfeldt growl, and then ... goosebumps. :)

Another good one...might be time to revisit Ghost Reveries...Haven't done it in a while...

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2023, 11:47:17 AM »

Yep, that's a good one. Such a great way to end a song.
Oh my bad, I was actually thinking of the ending to Ghost of Perdition.

« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2023, 03:40:19 PM »
This entire song is a goosebump. But especially the transitions/progressions between 5:10 and 6:00.

https://youtu.be/VVm2KU9PPyk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2023, 07:13:42 AM »
The "I was bor...or...ornnnnnn... with a heart of Lothian!" section of Heart of Lothian.   

The "Why don't you touch me, touch me, touch me now, now, now, now, NOW!!!!" part of the Musical Box, especially the version on Seconds Out where Phil extends the last "now!".

The entire medley part of the "In The Cage" medley from the original album of Three Sides Live (the video version is not the same night), especially when Phil and Chester are trading Phils (see what I did there?) like madmen. 

The keyboard solo in "Bedshaped" by Keane.   Tell me that Tim Rice-Oxley doesn't worship at the altar of Tony Banks!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2023, 07:55:50 AM »
The ending of DT's The Bigger Picture gave me full-body goosebumps earlier, having not listened to it for quite a while.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2023, 08:10:09 AM »
First thing that pops in my head is Genesis - Behind the Lines.  The (Duke's) intro part is just such a great way to set the stage for one of my favorite albums.  Just an incredible piece of music that gives me chills every time.

Also, Metallica - Battery, after the intro when the main riff starts without drums. :metal  It just gets me going.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2023, 08:49:21 AM »
The first one I thought of is the Never know, know the joy in life in IT.  That gets me everytime and I think more than any other song I can think of.  James is just on another planet with this one.

I'll second this...was the first thing that popped in my head as well!!!  :metal

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2023, 11:53:21 AM »
The first one I thought of is the Never know, know the joy in life in IT.  That gets me everytime and I think more than any other song I can think of.  James is just on another planet with this one.

I'll second this...was the first thing that popped in my head as well!!!  :metal

It's really a peak Dream Theater moment, and one of my favourite songs of theirs. I'd say starting from this bit, through to the end...

To really feel the joy in life
You must suffer through the pain
When you surrender to the light
You can face the darkest days

« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2023, 04:16:44 PM »
Those looking for more subtle nuance might not feel this the way I do, but Nevermore's "Born" from This Godless Endeavor. The chorus alone is rather goosebumpy (the genius of the late, great Warrel Dane), but the incredible solo by Jeff Loomis. OMG (or maybe I should write it as OMGless)!

If you watch the official video....there's something about the metaphoric chaos of the street violence/war scenes, the ants scurrying around, and the leopard dragging the antelope up the tree that really cinches the intensity of the explosive playing by Loomis. It's about as "in your face" as a solo can be, and conveys emotion like a "two ton heavy thing".

Neither the video sequences or the solo are for the faint of heart! 

https://youtu.be/QLHoYZCpBnU

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 04:24:20 PM by crazy climber dude »

Offline nick_z

« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2023, 06:17:14 PM »
The "I was bor...or...ornnnnnn... with a heart of Lothian!" section of Heart of Lothian.   

The "Why don't you touch me, touch me, touch me now, now, now, now, NOW!!!!" part of the Musical Box, especially the version on Seconds Out where Phil extends the last "now!".

The entire medley part of the "In The Cage" medley from the original album of Three Sides Live (the video version is not the same night), especially when Phil and Chester are trading Phils (see what I did there?) like madmen. 

The keyboard solo in "Bedshaped" by Keane.   Tell me that Tim Rice-Oxley doesn't worship at the altar of Tony Banks!

Absolutely yes to Heart of Lothian. I will also add from that album that, no matter how overplayed the song is, the solo in Kayleigh is always goosebump-worthy...and then the song going into Lavender...so good.

I have to check out the In The Cage medley...I think I've seen you mention it a few times as a big favorite musical moment...it has to be worthy  :)

Also, Metallica - Battery, after the intro when the main riff starts without drums. :metal  It just gets me going.

Yes!

Offline Kram

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2023, 03:49:12 PM »

Yeah, POS have many of these moments, especially on TPE1 and Remedy Lane. These are all great, and the one you mention on The Perfect Element (the song) really shows the band at its emotional best…great stuff…
I agree with you guys on all of these.  I'd also like to mention the buildup in the middle of King of Loss with all the vocal harmonies - incredible stuff!

Offline Kram

« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2023, 03:54:51 PM »
The first one I thought of is the crescendo in East Coast Racer by Big Big Train ("She Fliessss") gets me every time!

A few other BBT moments that give me goosebumps- the "key change" in Transit of Venus Across the Sun and the ending of Victorian Brickworks, from about 8:40 til the end.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2023, 03:57:38 PM »
A couple goosebumps moments for me...  First one isn't related to lyrics but an instrumental section of Ayreons "Isis and Osiris" (link starts a bit early but the goosebumps moment is just after the 8 minute mark): https://youtu.be/dxpBDwrif94?t=464   This one I experienced yesterday on the way home from work (but I know I've had it on previous listens of the song).

The first one that came to my mind on reading this thread was the final "one note timeless" section of "The Great Nothing" by Spock's Beard.  I could come up with many Neal Morse related goosebumps moments but this is the first I think of without effort.   https://youtu.be/J8Zc7TJa1zU?t=1291

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2023, 06:04:05 PM »
Since we all know the DT goosebump moments I'll usedifferent bands with 2 solos.

The end guitar solo in Rush - Mission

The long but emotional solo from Spock's Beard  - She Is Everything.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 06:23:21 PM by Kingly Gizz & Liz Wiz Bizzy »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online HOF

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2023, 06:07:31 PM »
The first one I thought of is the crescendo in East Coast Racer by Big Big Train ("She Fliessss") gets me every time!

A few other BBT moments that give me goosebumps- the "key change" in Transit of Venus Across the Sun and the ending of Victorian Brickworks, from about 8:40 til the end.

All of this. Another goosebump moment in Transit of Venus is during the Latin chant section when the keyboard plays a little theme from “Kingmaker.”

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2023, 06:32:26 PM »

I agree with you guys on all of these.  I'd also like to mention the buildup in the middle of King of Loss with all the vocal harmonies - incredible stuff!
True. I was going to put this moment as well and forgot to mention it for some reason. Indeed amazing moment.

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2023, 08:40:41 PM »
Also, on another note, this band (Soup) gives me major goosebumps and is almost never mentioned here (and pretty much anywhere) which is a shame. They are listed as Post-Rock which isn’t really representative of their music. They are way more than that. Nothing against post-rock but the vocals on Soup are amazing, like the melodies and the music. I would place them in the same category as Porcupine Tree, Coldplay, Pink Floyd or The Pineapple Thief. If you enjoy goosebumps, melancholic melodies or just prog music in general, go check these songs.

- the roots are decaying (highlight 2:19 and 4:08 for the vocals and the solo that comes next)
- kingdom of color (highlight 3:00 to 4:30 and 6:10 to 8:30 for the gorgeous violon, major goosebumps)
- surrounded by ghost (highlight 1:50 and 2:23 for the gorgeous violon again)
- clandestine eyes

I really had to keep myself from writing this whole post in cap locks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 08:47:15 PM by Blind_FaithX »

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2023, 09:33:50 PM »
Soup are talked about on some YouTube channels I follow: Notesreviews, The Prog Corner and Dr. Spin among some others. I enjoy Giant Sky, but from memory, didn't quite get into Soup as much. But I dont think if I've spent enough time.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2023, 06:26:08 AM »
This, seriously, that song live is amazing. I'm seeing them in a week  :metal

But goosebumps moment:

Pink Floyd - Dogs
The string bending around 3:40 and then when it comes back around 14:05.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk