Author Topic: Goosebumps moments in music  (Read 5105 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Goosebumps moments in music
« Reply #105 on: May 04, 2023, 07:07:26 PM »
Speaking of U2, I still get goosebumps when listening to the last two minutes of the studio version of All I Want Is You.  An amazing song on every level imaginable.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #106 on: May 04, 2023, 07:09:01 PM »
I need to spin a few of their albums. It's been a while.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

« Reply #107 on: May 04, 2023, 08:18:51 PM »
Heartland (my favorite U2 song) is kind of one long goosebump moment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2023, 07:38:41 AM »
Speaking of U2, I still get goosebumps when listening to the last two minutes of the studio version of All I Want Is You.  An amazing song on every level imaginable.

DUDE.  When I saw the post for "Heartland", I thought "I have to post about the last couple minutes of "All I Want Is You"."     Good tune, and a GREAT performance by Bono.  I love him as a singer, and that's one of - if not it IS - his best performance.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2023, 09:54:48 AM »
I just got goosebumps from this!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline krands85

« Reply #110 on: May 05, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »
Been on a Mastodon kick today, and there are so many!

The bridge in Roots Remain and subsequent solo.

The solo after "Spiraling up through the crack in the sky
Leaving material world behind
I see your face in constellations
The martyr is ending his life for mine"
in The Czar.

The solo and outro to Gigantium (and the same for Jaguar God to be honest).

Just incredible stuff. These are probably my top 4 Brent solos, I just love him.
I was meaning to mention Roots Remain, but those others are also brilliant choices  :tup

Some others that came to mind:
Pearl Jam - Black: "“I know some day you’ll have a beautiful life, I know you’ll be a star in somebody else’s sky, but why can’t it be mine”
https://youtu.be/qgaRVvAKoqQ?t=217 (3:37)

Anathema - Anathema: The intensity of Vincent's final "I loved you" and then the incredible guitar solo that follows
https://youtu.be/RCFzDaAF5Uk?t=211 (3:31)

Then the last post in the thread made me remember a band covering In the Name of God and a change they made to one section.
Turbulence - In the Name of God:
https://youtu.be/Jw9LtqawovA?t=709 (11:49)

I've linked to the specific moments, but of course with as with most of these, you need to heard the whole song to get the full effect I think.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #111 on: May 05, 2023, 11:13:30 AM »
That Pearl Jam song from MTV Unplugged amps that line up too.  A real gut punch live. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jammindude

« Reply #112 on: May 05, 2023, 01:33:30 PM »
IQ - The Province

“Til I bring….bad tidings…

……the phone rings….

…there’s no one there.”

And then that next part near the end:

“Embrace the negative, With absoluuuuuution…your final positive rewaaaaaaaaaaaard!

And I will follow yoooooouuuu dooowwwwnnnn. To where the silence is LOST AND FOOOOOUUUUUNNNNDDDD”

And then that amazing guitar solo that IMO rivals Comfortably Numb as one of the greatest guitar solos in history taking it to the perfect crescendo before dropping down to that quiet ending which is a goosebump moment all by itself.

No wonder that’s my favorite IQ song.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2023, 01:57:58 PM »

Pearl Jam - Black: "“I know some day you’ll have a beautiful life, I know you’ll be a star in somebody else’s sky, but why can’t it be mine”

GREAT REFERENCE.  I've often cited that as my single favorite lyric ever; it's probably not, but it's a good one to point to.    Just heartbreaking. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #114 on: May 05, 2023, 01:58:45 PM »
I'll give it this..Black is a great song.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #115 on: May 05, 2023, 03:28:02 PM »
Yes, it is...Battling it out with Jeremy for my favorite PJ song...

Offline Kram

« Reply #116 on: May 05, 2023, 05:08:03 PM »
Been on a Mastodon kick today, and there are so many!

The bridge in Roots Remain and subsequent solo.

The solo after "Spiraling up through the crack in the sky
Leaving material world behind
I see your face in constellations
The martyr is ending his life for mine"
in The Czar.

The solo and outro to Gigantium (and the same for Jaguar God to be honest).

Just incredible stuff. These are probably my top 4 Brent solos, I just love him.
I was meaning to mention Roots Remain, but those others are also brilliant choices  :tup

Anathema - Anathema: The intensity of Vincent's final "I loved you" and then the incredible guitar solo that follows
https://youtu.be/RCFzDaAF5Uk?t=211 (3:31)

Then the last post in the thread made me remember a band covering In the Name of God and a change they made to one section.
Turbulence - In the Name of God
:
https://youtu.be/Jw9LtqawovA?t=709 (11:49)

I've linked to the specific moments, but of course with as with most of these, you need to heard the whole song to get the full effect I think.
That whole cover was awesome!  Love the guitar solo at the end!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #117 on: May 05, 2023, 11:28:08 PM »
 I'm not much of a fan, but Pearl Jam's "Black" does have some great moments.

Offline HOF

« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2023, 11:39:48 PM »
Black is good. Some other moments from Pearl Jam would include the bass on the intro to Jeremy (those harmonics!), the “my god it’s been so long, never dreamed you’d return” line on Elderly Woman…, and on the “into the sun” part of Nothingman.

On a similar note, I’ll mention Temple of the Dog’s Hunger Strike (the part where Cornell comes in over EV with “Yeah I don’t mind stealing bread.”) and the last verse and chorus of Say Hello 2 Heaven.

Offline HOF

« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2023, 10:30:31 AM »
Marillion - King, the whole build up to the end, but the line “the fire in your belly that gave you the songs is suddenly gooooone” always gets me.

This performance is great (shared by the band’s social media on coronation day, LOL):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpKHQIqMeH4

Online nick_z

« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2023, 05:33:26 PM »
Soen - "Dissident"

Probably my favorite song from Imperial. It's all great, but I particularly love the quieter interlude starting around 2:50...

https://youtu.be/DwMcWKsXkCs?t=160

...and building up to THIS moment around 4:35 (timestamp below, but better to listen to the whole thing above):

https://youtu.be/DwMcWKsXkCs?t=274

Wish it lasted a bit longer...

Online nick_z

« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2023, 05:36:36 PM »
Marillion - King, the whole build up to the end, but the line “the fire in your belly that gave you the songs is suddenly gooooone” always gets me.

This performance is great (shared by the band’s social media on coronation day, LOL):

Agreed - another great Marillion moment...you know, if you have a few more from post-This Strange Engine material, I'd love to hear about them :) I haven't followed the band quite as closely with those albums...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2023, 06:14:24 PM »

DUDE.  When I saw the post for "Heartland", I thought "I have to post about the last couple minutes of "All I Want Is You"."     Good tune, and a GREAT performance by Bono.  I love him as a singer, and that's one of - if not it IS - his best performance.

Great minds think alike!  :tup :tup

Offline krands85

« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2023, 07:14:40 PM »
Soen - "Dissident"

Probably my favorite song from Imperial. It's all great, but I particularly love the quieter interlude starting around 2:50...

Soen - Dissident (Official Audio)

...and building up to THIS moment around 4:35 (timestamp below, but better to listen to the whole thing above):

:tup

Another Soen one for me is in Martyrs:
https://youtu.be/9-5qP-aYNm8?t=156 from just after 2.36, basically until the end of the song, but especially the "Obey" and the keys. Again, it's better to hear the full song.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline HOF

« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2023, 08:17:03 PM »

Agreed - another great Marillion moment...you know, if you have a few more from post-This Strange Engine material, I'd love to hear about them :) I haven't followed the band quite as closely with those albums...

Let’s see…

On “Three Minute Boy” there is a part where Rothers comes in really strong around 2:35 leading into a Beatles-y Hey Jude type outro.

On “Born To Run” you have a really nice, bluesy solo followed by the line “and further south and hopeless, here I am globally altered and disheveled.”

On “Go!” there’s the “wide awake at the end of the world” section (the guitar solo too really).

On “Interior Lulu” there’s the “Primrose Hill” section (basically the whole outro).

On “House” there’s a bunch of them, but the line “my dull thoughts echo viscous and slow like the tolling of some great bell underwater” is amazing, and “God if you hear me, throw me a line or strike me down,” is also really strong.

On “Fruit of the Wild Rose” there is the section following “as England faces the winter.”

On “The Invisible Man” there’s the part at the end where H’s voice cracks while singing “I *am* the invisible man.”

On “Fantastic Place” there is the whole build up to the solo starting with “say you understand me and I will leave myself completely. Forgive me if I stare, but I can see the island behind your tired, troubled eyes.”

On “The Only Unforgivable Thing” there’s the middle section leading to the solo and building to “I have lost the stars and the sky, it was so that I could keep the earth” (and a second solo).

On “Ocean Cloud” really the first 6 minute or so, but Rothers guitar solo there is a top 5 moment from him probably, and H singing “only me and the sea, we will do as we please” is epic as well. Unfortunately the front part of that song is so strong that the second part doesn’t quite have anywhere to go but down.

On “Neverland” there’s “I wanna be someone who someone would want to be.”

On the most recent album, there’s Rothery’s solo on “The Crow and the Nightingale,” the “walking free in Free Town” segment of “Sierra Leone,” and about six goosebump moments on “Care,” especially the first time Rothery comes in before H sings “an hour before it’s dark,” and where he sings “found freedoms in a diamond I won’t trade, not even for heaven,” leading to a massive Rothers solo.”

That will keep you busy for a bit. :-)

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2023, 08:41:20 PM »

On “The Invisible Man” there’s the part at the end where H’s voice cracks while singing “I *am* the invisible man.”

On “Fantastic Place” there is the whole build up to the solo starting with “say you understand me and I will leave myself completely. Forgive me if I stare, but I can see the island behind your tired, troubled eyes.”

On “The Only Unforgivable Thing” there’s the middle section leading to the solo and building to “I have lost the stars and the sky, it was so that I could keep the earth” (and a second solo).

On “Ocean Cloud” really the first 6 minute or so, but Rothers guitar solo there is a top 5 moment from him probably, and H singing “only me and the sea, we will do as we please” is epic as well. Unfortunately the front part of that song is so strong that the second part doesn’t quite have anywhere to go but down.

I mean, just about every song on Marbles has one of those moments. The whole album is just otherworldly!

One of the biggest ones for me is on Anathema's Weather Systems. The whole buildup of Untouchable and The Gathering of Clouds, which culminates in some heavy goosebumps inducing moments in Lightning Song and Sunshine. Especially at the points where both songs explode into their more bombastic moments.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2023, 07:13:17 AM »

I mean, just about every song on Marbles has one of those moments. The whole album is just otherworldly!

One of the biggest ones for me is on Anathema's Weather Systems. The whole buildup of Untouchable and The Gathering of Clouds, which culminates in some heavy goosebumps inducing moments in Lightning Song and Sunshine. Especially at the points where both songs explode into their more bombastic moments.

Marbles is the last Marillion album to REALLY do it for me.   Two highlights that I haven't seen mentioned yet:  Marbles III, when Mark's keyboard comes in over Steve Rothery's soft guitar, then Hogarth starts singing that beautiful melody, and the part in Neverland - about 5:00 - when Rothery's guitar solo starts. That's when I lost it at the concert and started crying like a baby.  :)

Offline romdrums

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2023, 07:21:17 AM »

Let’s see…

On “Three Minute Boy” there is a part where Rothers comes in really strong around 2:35 leading into a Beatles-y Hey Jude type outro.

On “Born To Run” you have a really nice, bluesy solo followed by the line “and further south and hopeless, here I am globally altered and disheveled.”

On “Go!” there’s the “wide awake at the end of the world” section (the guitar solo too really).

On “Interior Lulu” there’s the “Primrose Hill” section (basically the whole outro).

On “House” there’s a bunch of them, but the line “my dull thoughts echo viscous and slow like the tolling of some great bell underwater” is amazing, and “God if you hear me, throw me a line or strike me down,” is also really strong.

On “Fruit of the Wild Rose” there is the section following “as England faces the winter.”

On the most recent album, there’s Rothery’s solo on “The Crow and the Nightingale,” the “walking free in Free Town” segment of “Sierra Leone,” and about six goosebump moments on “Care,” especially the first time Rothery comes in before H sings “an hour before it’s dark,” and where he sings “found freedoms in a diamond I won’t trade, not even for heaven,” leading to a massive Rothers solo.”

Fantastic list!

To add a few on:

That whole 7/8 section in Invisible Man is great, and they really do a tremendous job building the intensity that pays off at the "When I close my eyes, I can see where you live" section.  H delivers those lines with such emotion.

Ocean Cloud- The "medium wave" section through to the line "God above!" is so visual and awesome.

Neverland- Pretty much the whole thing.

Asylum Satellite 1- We can see the madness perfectly from here! And then Rothery lays down that nice Gilmour-esque solo.

Lastly, the whole "the angels of this world" section of Care is sublime.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online nick_z

« Reply #128 on: May 08, 2023, 08:40:36 AM »

Let’s see…

Great stuff, thank you  :tup Did you have this ready to go?  ;)

I've been meaning to do a deeper dive of more recent Marillion...hope to do that soon, and this will be a nice "guided tour"...

Offline HOF

« Reply #129 on: May 08, 2023, 09:54:41 AM »

Let’s see…

Great stuff, thank you  :tup Did you have this ready to go?  ;)

I've been meaning to do a deeper dive of more recent Marillion...hope to do that soon, and this will be a nice "guided tour"...

Those were just off the top of my head mostly. There are others, but those are good places to start. The period between AOS and Brave got a little bumpy at times, but there’s still a lot of great stuff to uncover there.

Online nick_z

« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2023, 11:54:59 AM »

Those were just off the top of my head mostly. There are others, but those are good places to start. The period between AOS and Brave got a little bumpy at times, but there’s still a lot of great stuff to uncover there.

Oh, I'm a big fan of most stuff through AoS...it's the material after that that becomes a little shaky for me. This Strange Engine has some strong very moments but also some that are, um, questionable. Then Radiation was a significant letdown at the time (although I admit I haven't revisited it in a LONG time) and I drifted away from the band a bit. I did keep up with the releases (Marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Marbles...) but I didn't really get into them. Even Marbles - which I found to be the best of the post-AoS period and is almost universally praised -  I liked but didn't love (Is that a collective "gasp" from the DTF Marillion fans?  :biggrin:). And the last few are even more of a blur.

Again, though, I feel I should go back and spend more time with them. And I find it helps me to have some highlights to "orient" myself. Who knows, I might end up with different highlights of my own, but it's a good way to reboot...

Offline jammindude

« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2023, 12:42:33 PM »
Anarak was THE Marillion album that converted me to the H-era. And I’ve heard several others say that that was the last truly great “every song is amazing” Marillion album.

Tastes and all, but I’m genuinely puzzled by any big Marillion fan that puts a meh-burger on Anarak.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2023, 12:46:36 PM »

Oh, I'm a big fan of most stuff through AoS...it's the material after that that becomes a little shaky for me. This Strange Engine has some strong very moments but also some that are, um, questionable. Then Radiation was a significant letdown at the time (although I admit I haven't revisited it in a LONG time) and I drifted away from the band a bit. I did keep up with the releases (Marillion.com, Anoraknophobia, Marbles...) but I didn't really get into them. Even Marbles - which I found to be the best of the post-AoS period and is almost universally praised -  I liked but didn't love (Is that a collective "gasp" from the DTF Marillion fans?  :biggrin:). And the last few are even more of a blur.

Again, though, I feel I should go back and spend more time with them. And I find it helps me to have some highlights to "orient" myself. Who knows, I might end up with different highlights of my own, but it's a good way to reboot...

Everyone else is sick of this already, but for your benefit, it took a LONG time for me to get into Afraid of Sunlight.   And when I heard This Strange Engine - before AoS clicked - I hated it and I actually stopped buying Marillion CDs.   I didn't buy another one until Marbles, and only then did I go back and get Radiation (try the new remix; it's very good), .com (still not a great record, IMO) and Anoraknophobia (LOVE it).  Unfortunately, they soon re-hit the skids.  Somewhere Else blows, Less is, um, LESS, and I never really got into Happiness.    I'm okay with Sounds and FEAR, but haven't actually listened to the new one all the way through yet.  I will say, the last three are of a kind for me.  Marillion used to be "songs about death and water" and now we're sort of in that mildly self-righteous zone where it's "songs about how stupid the rest of the world is and earth".

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2023, 12:47:10 PM »

Tastes and all, but I’m genuinely puzzled by any big Marillion fan that puts a meh-burger on Anarak.

How about if I put a big meh-burger on Marillion?  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2023, 01:00:17 PM »

Well ya. I did that for literally YEARS.  :rollin

Online nick_z

« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2023, 01:05:45 PM »

:lol Plenty of great stuff, Tim...what have you tried?

Online nick_z

« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2023, 01:09:11 PM »
Soen - "Dissident"

Another Soen one for me is in Martyrs:
https://youtu.be/9-5qP-aYNm8?t=156 from just after 2.36, basically until the end of the song, but especially the "Obey" and the keys. Again, it's better to hear the full song.

Agreed on that one...Martyrs is a fantastic song all around.

Offline HOF

« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2023, 01:36:02 PM »
Anarak was THE Marillion album that converted me to the H-era. And I’ve heard several others say that that was the last truly great “every song is amazing” Marillion album.

It’s funny, because I like Anorak, and it was one of the first Marillion albums I heard so it holds some special status for me, but mentally going through the catalog for “goosebump moments,” I realized Anorak really is kind of short on them. I like most of the album just fine. But it lacks some of the emotional high points of their other output. I do tend to think several of the tracks are a bit too long as well (Quartz, When I Meet God, This is the 20th Century).

Online nick_z

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2023, 05:05:33 PM »
Meer - "Picking Up The Pieces"

The final chorus...they first repeat it (see time stamp below), but then instead of resolving it the same way as earlier in the song, the voices kind of soar to some beautiful harmonies (past the 4:40 mark)...and then her vocals around 4:55. Beautiful stuff.

https://youtu.be/kuuYf0BuCDY?t=257

Unleash the Archers - "The Wind That Shapes the Land"

It's a fantastic song that deserves to be listened to in its entirety, but here are two goosebumpy moments to highlight:

The guitar melody with the gallop, just past 3:20 (I'm including the chorus before it at the timestamp below):

https://youtu.be/mxiBuFNypXw?t=177

What's great there is that it's pretty short and it leaves you wanting more...which you gloriously get later, just past 7:20.

In between, there is another great moment, roughly 5:38 through 6:00:

https://youtu.be/mxiBuFNypXw?t=333

But seriously, the whole song is worthy.