Author Topic: Goosebumps moments in music  (Read 5107 times)

Online nick_z

Goosebumps moments in music
« on: April 20, 2023, 04:47:04 PM »
Hope there isn’t an existing thread that’s exactly the same…So, as I was in, um, deep reflection about what an amazing gift music is, to all of us, I was thinking in particular of moments that spark a strong, emotional reaction.

I’m calling them “goosebumps” moments – typically, as far as I’m concerned at least, I tend to associate those with melancholy (not necessarily something sad or tragic…it could just be something eliciting a feeling of missing someone/something from the past, fond memories, or something along those lines). But obviously it’s not just that. It could be an epic moment, a “heavy” moment or, certainly, a happy, euphoric moment.

I’m always hungry for stuff like that in music. While of course there are certain songs/pieces that are arguably “goosebumps” all the way, in their entirety, what I’m curious to hear about is, again, specific moments within a song (it’s obviously fine if it’s a good chunk of it).

I’m going to start with a few:

A “quintessential” goosebumps moment in my musical “story” is the outro of U2’s “With or Without You”…this moment here after the “fake ending”, just past the 4-minute mark:

https://youtu.be/ujNeHIo7oTE?t=243

No matter how many times I’ve played this song or heard it on the radio…it’s goosebumps every single time.

Another one I never tire of – “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son”, just past the 8:50 mark (you all know it  :)):

https://youtu.be/RF3GwVTDVSQ?t=525

It’s just like the entire song releases in that harmonized guitar run. So simple, so effective and so quintessentially Maiden

A band that’s great at goosebumps moments is Marillion…a couple here:

“The Great Escape”, first just after 1:45:
https://youtu.be/LqUYBITZDZQ?t=104
Then around 4:10:
https://youtu.be/LqUYBITZDZQ?t=245

Another one I love is “Afraid of Sunlight”, around 4:25 (but it’s all great leading up to it):
https://youtu.be/AooOLXdBi8A?t=250

For something different, Rammstein’s Mein Herz Brennt, from the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S_cMrxjZFo

The slow, quiet crescendo…and then BAM!... the moment the whole band and strings come in around the 1-minute mark. Man, it’s like a monstrous, gothic version of Kashmir. Amazing stuff.

This is just a start, obviously. I'd love to hear about moments that are all the feelz for the good people of DTF  :) Things like guitar solos too, for example...especially for the guitar players in the forum (case in point, Wolfking's description of Schenker's solo in Try Me, in the guitarist countdown thread)

Anyhoo...fire away, if you feel like it!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Goosebumps moments in music
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2023, 05:20:20 PM »
The first one I thought of is the Never know, know the joy in life in IT.  That gets me everytime and I think more than any other song I can think of.  James is just on another planet with this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online nick_z

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 05:57:31 PM »
Yeah, DT certainly have a few  :)

I know the tune is not universally loved here, but one of my biggest DT goosebumps moment is in Space Dye Vest...the "And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend" part with the tempo picking up...and then leading to the finale. Fantastic.

Now that I think of it, the very first big moment like that when I discovered DT came pretty fast...putting I&W on for the first time...the "Watch the sparrow falling..." part on PMU. That certainly was something.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 06:36:41 PM »
it's an endless list of examples for me.

I'll just give some now and maybe others later:

-Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick' the keyboard part/motif that starts with
"So! Come on ye childhood heroes!..."

-Oceansize "The Frame" the super majestic ending/climax that includes the line "I am not the picture, now I'm..."

-Ours "Sometimes" the guitar riff and the vocal harmonies
"Sometimes sunshine's Sunshine Sometimes the sun shines Sunshine"

-Genesis - "Stagnation" the section
"I want a drink I want a drink. To take all the dust and the dirt from my throat...."

-Marillion..so many. 3 tracks especially on Brave have moments (Runaway, Hard As Love and The Great Escape). Also the title track to "Afraid of Sunlight" the section towards the end "You'll tell them where we run to hide I'm already dead It's a matter of time" and then the keys after that are impossible not to give me goosebumps.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 06:45:01 PM »
The first one I thought of is the Never know, know the joy in life in IT.  That gets me everytime and I think more than any other song I can think of.  James is just on another planet with this one.

One part of a song that I can remember giving me goosebumps is the guitar solo/instrumental part of Savatage's Gutter Ballet.   There's someone who would've cruised into my Top 25 Guitarists if I could've been arsed doing a list.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 06:52:52 PM »

One part of a song that I can remember giving me goosebumps is the guitar solo/instrumental part of Savatage's Gutter Ballet.   There's someone who would've cruised into my Top 25 Guitarists if I could've been arsed doing a list.

Yeah nice, what an amazing song.  Criss Oliva came in at number 4 on my list also.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 07:02:35 PM »
I’m calling them “goosebumps” moments – typically, as far as I’m concerned at least, I tend to associate those with melancholy (not necessarily something sad or tragic…it could just be something eliciting a feeling of missing someone/something from the past, fond memories, or something along those lines).

Lift Your Skinny Fist Like Antennas To Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor has several of those moments for me. The biggest one for me is the whole section starting at 4:30 in Static. The creepy, pitched-down spoken word with that absolutely beautiful and haunting violin melody, and the guitars that come in shortly afterwards - it all creates an emotion that's impossible to pinpoint, but it's so evocative and overwhelming and it gets me a little choked up every time this section starts. And then there's also the intro of Sleep. That man's story about how he misses Coney Island and the days of his youth is depressing enough, but when those soft chords come in and he says "they don't sleep any more on the beach", seemingly on the verge of tears... fuck, way to twist the fucking dagger.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online nick_z

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 07:04:59 PM »

-Marillion..so many. 3 tracks especially on Brave have moments (Runaway, Hard As Love and The Great Escape). Also the title track to "Afraid of Sunlight" the section towards the end "You'll tell them where we run to hide I'm already dead It's a matter of time" and then the keys after that are impossible not to give me goosebumps.

Yep, I have that same exact moment written up above! So, so good.

Criss Oliva is for sure way, way up there for me too. Gutter Ballet - the song AND the album - is fantastic. Another favorite of mine on that album is Hounds...some more incredible guitar there (and, speaking of goosebumps, the part starting around 3:05!)

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 07:11:57 PM »

Criss Oliva is for sure way, way up there for me too. Gutter Ballet - the song AND the album - is fantastic. Another favorite of mine on that album is Hounds...some more incredible guitar there (and, speaking of goosebumps, the part starting around 3:05!)

I don't even need to check the song to know where you mean  :metal   That was another mega-replay moment on that album , along with the crunchy riff leading intro the outro
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 07:16:14 PM »

I don't even need to check the song to know where you mean  :metal   That was another mega-replay moment on that album , along with the crunchy riff in the outro

His solo in the outro is incredible.  When he comes with the tapped bent note then the regular tapping lick straight after it's just too good.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 07:22:45 PM »
Someone needs to tell that asshat to STFU during that outro. WTF?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online nick_z

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 07:26:25 PM »

:rollin :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 07:35:00 PM »

:lol

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 07:40:18 PM »
An underrated DT one for me is when the vocal harmony kicks in towards the end of Lifting Shadowss Off A Dream.
Photobucket sucks.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 07:53:13 PM »

I was waiting for Tim to enter the building and he didn't disappoint  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online nick_z

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 07:57:53 PM »
An underrated DT one for me is when the vocal harmony kicks in towards the end of Lifting Shadowss Off A Dream.

Yes! Absolutely! I was planning to include that one too. Love how the one vocal line holds the note, and the harmony moves.

Lift Your Skinny Fist Like Antennas To Heaven by Godspeed You! Black Emperor has several of those moments for me. The biggest one for me is the whole section starting at 4:30 in Static. The creepy, pitched-down spoken word with that absolutely beautiful and haunting violin melody, and the guitars that come in shortly afterwards - it all creates an emotion that's impossible to pinpoint, but it's so evocative and overwhelming and it gets me a little choked up every time this section starts. And then there's also the intro of Sleep. That man's story about how he misses Coney Island and the days of his youth is depressing enough, but when those soft chords come in and he says "they don't sleep any more on the beach", seemingly on the verge of tears... fuck, way to twist the fucking dagger.

You know, I never explored GY!BE...it might be time to do that. Gave a listen around the timestamps above and it's fascinating stuff. Is this a good album to start?

Online krands85

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 08:02:38 PM »
This is a good one. Other DT ones that spring to mind where I can still vividly remember the first time I heard them are the 'Could this be the end?' section in The Count of Tuscany and 'Shaman take my hand' from Bridges in the Sky.

The biggest one for me is the whole section starting at 4:30 in Static. The creepy, pitched-down spoken word with that absolutely beautiful and haunting violin melody, and the guitars that come in shortly afterwards - it all creates an emotion that's impossible to pinpoint, but it's so evocative and overwhelming and it gets me a little choked up every time this section starts.
Yes! I also find it hard to describe the feeling that part of the song has always given me and then of course the build up in the music that comes after it and the intensity as it reaches the crescendo around 16 and a half minutes in.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 08:05:14 PM »

You know, I never explored GY!BE...it might be time to do that. Gave a listen around the timestamps above and it's fascinating stuff. Is this a good album to start?

It's definitely the best one! The length can be a bit intimidating(lol) but it only took me a few listens to fall in love with it. If you absolutely need something shorter the Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada EP is basically a "mini" version of that album and it's also great.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 08:27:34 PM »
This is a good one. Other DT ones that spring to mind where I can still vividly remember the first time I heard them are the 'Could this be the end?' section in The Count of Tuscany and 'Shaman take my hand' from Bridges in the Sky.

Yes!  That Count of Tuscany line going into the outro solo is another one for sure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2023, 08:28:02 PM »

I'm surprised he sampled the song to be honest.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2023, 08:54:57 PM »
I’m calling them “goosebumps” moments – typically, as far as I’m concerned at least, I tend to associate those with melancholy (not necessarily something sad or tragic…it could just be something eliciting a feeling of missing someone/something from the past, fond memories, or something along those lines).

Yeah the first 2 GYBE! albums are full of amazing moments like that, brilliant stuff.

I'm thinking of Have a Nice Life's Earthmover - when the guitars kick in, and keep on going, relentlessly, it's so powerful.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2023, 09:04:27 PM »
First thing that came to mind is Ian Gillan's G5 "WHHHYYYYYYYYYYY should I die?!" in Gethsemane, from Jesus Christ Superstar (1970). Come to think of it, that whole album has a few: Pilate's "then I heard them mentioning my name, and leaving me the blame" and Judas's "I shall be dragged through the slime and the, slime and the, SLIME AND THE MUD!"

Watching this performance of Ted Neeley as well (at age 63!). Apologies as I have posted this video before. I have no idea what goes on backstage during musicals, but do performers often watch their fellow actors on stage, and be so moved by a song like these guys and gals are?

https://youtu.be/0rEVwwB3Iw0?t=183

Now that I think of it, the very first big moment like that when I discovered DT came pretty fast...putting I&W on for the first time...the "Watch the sparrow falling..." part on PMU. That certainly was something.

This for me. Not so goosebumpy now, but in 1992? Heck yes. DT didn't do it again for me till 2011 when James kicks it up a notch on the final chorus of Beneath the Surface.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2023, 09:45:24 PM »
7:50 of Ghost Love Score

Offline Blind_FaithX

• I love music
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2023, 09:53:29 PM »
There’s a lot for me maybe I’ll take the time to write more specific moments but on top of my head I would say the whole Remedy Lane and TPE1 albums. Most of Insomnium songs. Most of John petrucci’s emotional solos (the ministry of lost souls, another day, the best of time, the spirit carries on and so on). Also Stay with me by In flames, Fortune by Soen, Lazarus by PT, Epidemic and Pain by Blackfield, all of the Weather System album by Anathema, Colours by Airbag, Coloratura, the scientist and fix you by Coldplay, Telomere by Sleep Token, The Roots are decaying and Kingdom of color by Soup, But not Forgotten by Devil Sold his Soul, In the heaven above you will become a monster by An abstract illusion, Omega and other songs by Marianas rest, Zephyr and other songs by Countless skies, Introvection by Ebonivory, Lune by Periphery, Oceans by Hillsong United, Where are you now by Björn Riis, Wish you were here and comfortably numb by Pink Floyd, Awaken and Harbour Lights by Lee Abraham, run for the moon and western skies by Mostly autumn, question of heaven by iced earth

I could go on and on. I mostly listen to music for that feeling haha. Good thread idea anyway:)

Édit: after reading the OP again, sorry for putting whole songs/albums maybe I’ll find the time later to mention the specific moments
Funny how everything was Roses
When we held on to the Guns
Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2023, 11:01:33 PM »

That came to mind for me too - more so the Floor Jansen live version but either way.......... :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2023, 03:01:27 AM »
Hope there isn’t an existing thread that’s exactly the same…So, as I was in, um, deep reflection about what an amazing gift music is, to all of us, I was thinking in particular of moments that spark a strong, emotional reaction.

I’m calling them “goosebumps” moments – typically, as far as I’m concerned at least, I tend to associate those with melancholy (not necessarily something sad or tragic…it could just be something eliciting a feeling of missing someone/something from the past, fond memories, or something along those lines). But obviously it’s not just that. It could be an epic moment, a “heavy” moment or, certainly, a happy, euphoric moment.

I’m always hungry for stuff like that in music. While of course there are certain songs/pieces that are arguably “goosebumps” all the way, in their entirety, what I’m curious to hear about is, again, specific moments within a song (it’s obviously fine if it’s a good chunk of it).

I’m going to start with a few:

A “quintessential” goosebumps moment in my musical “story” is the outro of U2’s “With or Without You”…this moment here after the “fake ending”, just past the 4-minute mark:

https://youtu.be/ujNeHIo7oTE?t=243

No matter how many times I’ve played this song or heard it on the radio…it’s goosebumps every single time.

Another one I never tire of – “Seventh Son of a Seventh Son”, just past the 8:50 mark (you all know it  :)):

https://youtu.be/RF3GwVTDVSQ?t=525

It’s just like the entire song releases in that harmonized guitar run. So simple, so effective and so quintessentially Maiden

A band that’s great at goosebumps moments is Marillion…a couple here:

“The Great Escape”, first just after 1:45:
https://youtu.be/LqUYBITZDZQ?t=104

Another one I love is “Afraid of Sunlight”, around 4:25 (but it’s all great leading up to it):
https://youtu.be/AooOLXdBi8A?t=250

For something different, Rammstein’s Mein Herz Brennt, from the beginning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S_cMrxjZFo

The slow, quiet crescendo…and then BAM!... the moment the whole band and strings come in around the 1-minute mark. Man, it’s like a monstrous, gothic version of Kashmir. Amazing stuff.

This is just a start, obviously. I'd love to hear about moments that are all the feelz for the good people of DTF  :) Things like guitar solos too, for example...especially for the guitar players in the forum (case in point, Wolfking's description of Schenker's solo in Try Me, in the guitarist countdown thread)

Anyhoo...fire away, if you feel like it!

+1 on the SSOASS outro instrumental passage. My favourite Maiden moment.
I still find it exhilarating, after what, 35 years.

‘Anarchy X’ from Mindcrime. The first chords after the hospital bit. I went Cuba 20 years ago, and there was still loads of ‘Revolution’ graffiti everywhere. Having that track as a soundtrack to my lone wanderings was perfect.

The pre solo section of Under a Glass Moon. That’s Petrucci’s best solo IMHO, but the ensemble playing prior to it is perfect.

The climax of Satriani’s Crushing Day solo

More to follow

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2023, 03:26:02 AM »
I'll be posting quite a bit when I can find the time to find the timestamps for these moments.

Arch Echo - Measure of a Life - 3:33 - 5:47 - I love the feeling this gives me. It's ethereal, uplifting and it makes me feel good about life.  I do believe music has power to uplift people from their darkest moments, If someone was feeling down about life, I would tell them to listen and feel the music of this song. For me, this gives meaning for it being titled "Measure of a Life".
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline DTA

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2023, 04:23:18 AM »
There's so many but the one that jumps to mind is 5:14 in Yes' Turn of the Century. I wish the production was better to make it really explode but that ending section has such a joyous vibe with Jon's vocals and Steve going nuts in the background that I haven't found in many songs and it just blows me away. I'm so happy that song exists.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2023, 05:07:08 AM »
Marillion - Care - "Not even for heaven" into one of Rothers's greatest ever solos. Then after that h's final line going into Angels on Earth. "You loved me enough to leave me forever"

Online nick_z

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2023, 06:32:47 AM »
First thing that came to mind is Ian Gillan's G5 "WHHHYYYYYYYYYYY should I die?!" in Gethsemane, from Jesus Christ Superstar (1970). Come to think of it, that whole album has a few: Pilate's "then I heard them mentioning my name, and leaving me the blame" and Judas's "I shall be dragged through the slime and the, slime and the, SLIME AND THE MUD!"

Agreed on JCS...there's plenty of moments like that in there

Good one!

There’s a lot for me maybe I’ll take the time to write more specific moments but on top of my head I would say the whole Remedy Lane and TPE1 albums. Most of Insomnium songs. Most of John petrucci’s emotional solos (the ministry of lost souls, another day, the best of time, the spirit carries on and so on). Also Stay with me by In flames, Fortune by Soen, Lazarus by PT, Epidemic and Pain by Blackfield, all of the Weather System album by Anathema, Colours by Airbag, Coloratura, the scientist and fix you by Coldplay, Telomere by Sleep Token, The Roots are decaying and Kingdom of color by Soup, But not Forgotten by Devil Sold his Soul, In the heaven above you will become a monster by An abstract illusion, Omega and other songs by Marianas rest, Zephyr and other songs by Countless skies, Introvection by Ebonivory, Lune by Periphery, Oceans by Hillsong United, Where are you now by Björn Riis, Wish you were here and comfortably numb by Pink Floyd, Awaken and Harbour Lights by Lee Abraham, run for the moon and western skies by Mostly autumn, question of heaven by iced earth

I could go on and on. I mostly listen to music for that feeling haha. Good thread idea anyway:)

Édit: after reading the OP again, sorry for putting whole songs/albums maybe I’ll find the time later to mention the specific moments

Plenty of moments like that in the songs you list...yeah, my idea was for "moments" as opposed to full songs, just because sometimes it comes down to a specific bit that really connects with you in some way. But I agree it's not always easy with certain tunes  :) Good call with Abstract Illusion, by the way...that track is chock-full of goosebumps.

Arch Echo - Measure of a Life - 3:33 - 5:47 - I love the feeling this gives me. It's ethereal, uplifting and it makes me feel good about life.  I do believe music has power to uplift people from their darkest moments, If someone was feeling down about life, I would tell them to listen and feel the music of this song. For me, this gives meaning for it being titled "Measure of a Life".

That was beautiful indeed.

Online nick_z

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2023, 06:36:05 AM »

I'm surprised he sampled the song to be honest.

Other than his seemingly profound dislike for Jon Oliva's vocals, Savatage's music should be right up Tim's alley though, no? Tim - I forget: How familiar are you with the Edge of Thorns album? Zak Stevens sings on that one (and it's my absolute favorite vocal performance of his, by the way)

Offline HOF

« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2023, 06:39:42 AM »
I’m still mulling which moments to include (have several in mind), but I’m just going to +1 every Marillion moment mentioned in this thread so far.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2023, 06:52:25 AM »

That second one may be the moment of the record for me.  I LOVE that.   

Now I want to hear Brave....

Online nick_z

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2023, 06:54:28 AM »

That second one may be the moment of the record for me.  I LOVE that.   

Now I want to hear Brave....

Right?! I almost wish they repeated that theme a couple more times...but maybe the "fleeting" nature of that moment is what makes it extra-special...

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2023, 06:56:51 AM »
There's so many but the one that jumps to mind is 5:14 in Yes' Turn of the Century. I wish the production was better to make it really explode but that ending section has such a joyous vibe with Jon's vocals and Steve going nuts in the background that I haven't found in many songs and it just blows me away. I'm so happy that song exists.

Love that part.

Also the keyboard run at about 4:30 or so into Awaken.