Author Topic: The "Let's see if Twosuitsluke can guess your favourite artist/album" game.  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Glasser

Did you post your favorite band or can I guess?

I haven't, go for it...

Children Of Bodom. I know NOFX is your favorite punk band.

Great guesses! NOFX are indeed my favourite punk band, and a top 5 all time band. Children of Bodom aren't my all time favourite, but for a good 10 year period they were my #3 favourite band!

My last guesses are either Opeth or Deftones.

Offline Tomislav95

Try to guess mine (as if I know it myself) :corn I will accept both what I consider my all time and current favorite

I'm going to put it out there and say Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, for favourite band and album.
That's not even my favorite DS album :lol never considered them really as my favorite but they are up there.

I haven't, go for it...
Coheed? Album maybe their Good Apollo IV?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Glasser

Try to guess mine (as if I know it myself) :corn I will accept both what I consider my all time and current favorite

I'm going to put it out there and say Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, for favourite band and album.
That's not even my favorite DS album :lol never considered them really as my favorite but they are up there.

I haven't, go for it...

Damn! I forgot Luke loves them. You probably nailed it! Nice!

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I haven't, go for it...

Children Of Bodom. I know NOFX is your favorite punk band.

Great guesses! NOFX are indeed my favourite punk band, and a top 5 all time band. Children of Bodom aren't my all time favourite, but for a good 10 year period they were my #3 favourite band!

My last guesses are either Opeth or Deftones.

Opeth are a top 10 for sure. I had a bit of a Deftones obsession about 2 years ago, buy they're nowhere near a favourite.

I haven't, go for it...

For some reason I remember you talking about Dire Straits, and I thought that album, in high regard. Clearly I got it wrong though.

You know me better than I know you, no doubt there. Coheed are far and away my favourite band, and Good Apollo I'm Burning Star IV: Volume One: From Fear Through the Eyes of Madness is probably my all time favourite album. Bravo!

Offline Tomislav95

For some reason I remember you talking about Dire Straits, and I thought that album, in high regard. Clearly I got it wrong though.
Yeah, they pretty much have flawless discography for me but I don't rate any of their albums 5/5. Also, I consider Mark Knopfler my favorite guitarist, maybe you remembered that.
The real answer is much more obvious :lol

Online twosuitsluke

Yeah, they pretty much have flawless discography for me but I don't rate any of their albums 5/5. Also, I consider Mark Knopfler my favorite guitarist, maybe you remembered that.
The real answer is much more obvious :lol
Yea maybe it's your love for Knopfler I am remembering.

Obvious answer, Dream Theater?

Offline Tomislav95

Yeah. I know some you you here kinda stopped listening to them but I still come back to DT from time to time and always love what I hear.

Offline Glasser

Yeah. I know some you you here kinda stopped listening to them but I still come back to DT from time to time and always love what I hear.

DT will always be one of my faves, top 10. I think AVFTTOTW is one of their best since Images and Awake.

Offline nick_z

Correct on I&W, not on Maiden (although another good guess, as they are certainly up there)

Favorite band is one that has had a fair amount of influence on DT’s sound…

Gotta be Rush then  :tdwn

Yes! Do I see disappointment/disapproval? :biggrin:

No dude, that was supposed to be a thumbs up. I'm personally not much of a Rush fan but can understand why you guys are!

:tup :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
There was only one other guy who saw Rush more than myself live on this forum.  (Tick) but he hasn't been on in a long time. I still talk to him on Facebook. I saw Rush 31 times live.  He saw them, I believe 58 times.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
There was only one other guy who saw Rush more than myself live on this forum.  (Tick) but he hasn't been on in a long time. I still talk to him on Facebook. I saw Rush 31 times live.  He saw them, I believe 58 times.
Yeah, you guys have me beat. I saw Rush, I think, 12 times? Something like that.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth

I couldn't name a favorite record, there are just too many, but maybe you can guess my favorite band?

Shit dude, my mouth was writing cheques my ass can't cash! I've got no clue honesty. Errr, is it Dream Theater, Rush or Iron Maiden?

DT is still a top 5 band, but I'm looking for another band.

I thought you posted in that band's thread but looking back, seems you didn't. I'll give you a hint. My favorite guitar player is in that band, he also has some solo records and played with tons of other people. His nickname is part of your username.  :D
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online twosuitsluke

Dream Theater is a weird one for me. They've never actually been a top 10 band for me, I just rediscovered my love for them nearly 10 years ago, and ended up here (and never left). I still enjoy listening to them, and my love has never waned as such, it just wasn't infatuation to begin with.

I couldn't name a favorite record, there are just too many, but maybe you can guess my favorite band?

Shit dude, my mouth was writing cheques my ass can't cash! I've got no clue honesty. Errr, is it Dream Theater, Rush or Iron Maiden?

I thought you posted in that band's thread but looking back, seems you didn't. I'll give you a hint. My favorite guitar player is in that band, he also has some solo records and played with tons of other people. His nickname is part of your username.  :D

Well I was gonna guess Oceansize until you said his nickname is part my username???

I'm drawing a blank. So his nickname includes either 'two' 'suits' or 'luke'? That seems like it should be obvious.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

So about 50% of my posting is in the Star Trek thread, which means my favorite album must be 'The Transformed Man' by William Shatner, right?  Wrong.  I think I may have mentioned it here a few times, but how much deep diving into the posting history of someone who talks Star Trek 50% of the time is up to you!
This is exactly what I'm talking about! I have never (and probably never will) set foot in the Star Trek thread, so have missed half your posts  :lol

Just saying though, if Arnold Rimmer was in Star Trek, I'd be way more likely to watch.

I'm not going into people's post history dude, just going off my own knowledge and memory. I'm completely drawing a blank for you. Any hints? You're from the UK right? That gonna give me any leads?

Yes I'm from the UK.  No that's isn't going to give you any leads :)
OK let's scooby a clue in...It's a debut album from the early 90's.

Porcupine Tree?

Nope.  They do begin with P and are two words though.

Online twosuitsluke

So about 50% of my posting is in the Star Trek thread, which means my favorite album must be 'The Transformed Man' by William Shatner, right?  Wrong.  I think I may have mentioned it here a few times, but how much deep diving into the posting history of someone who talks Star Trek 50% of the time is up to you!
This is exactly what I'm talking about! I have never (and probably never will) set foot in the Star Trek thread, so have missed half your posts  :lol

Just saying though, if Arnold Rimmer was in Star Trek, I'd be way more likely to watch.

I'm not going into people's post history dude, just going off my own knowledge and memory. I'm completely drawing a blank for you. Any hints? You're from the UK right? That gonna give me any leads?

Porcupine Tree?

Gotta be Pearl Jam.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin

Porcupine Tree?

Gotta be Pearl Jam.

:tup

Offline Kwyjibo

Well I was gonna guess Oceansize until you said his nickname is part my username???

I'm drawing a blank. So his nickname includes either 'two' 'suits' or 'luke'? That seems like it should be obvious.

It's Luke as in Steve Lukather   ;)

Online twosuitsluke

I'm gonna pull a TAC here, but who is Steve Lukather?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption

Online twosuitsluke

I had to look up who he was to get this reference. Don't know if it's more embarrassing to know who he is, or not know who he is.

Now if Kattleox/Firewings/Walrus was still around, I would've got Toto!

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
romdrums sent Toto in 425's roulette, so they definitely have other fans here.  Lukather is pretty underrated at this point, people hear "Africa" and don't realize that Toto has a lot of great deeper cuts.  And he's been quite prolific, with some solo material and a truckload of session work.  He's on my honorable mentions list. 

Offline Kwyjibo

Yeah, it's Toto.

I sometimes forget, that I'm one of the older people posting here and that not everything from my youth/young adult years is still generally known.  :D

In the 80s, you couldn't listen to radio for more than a couple of songs, without getting one, where Luke or one of the other Toto members had a hand in playing or writing.

Offline Glasser

I'm gonna pull a TAC here, but who is Steve Lukather?

Not only is he a great guitarist but he was on my top vocalist list. Talented dude. I love the Wizard of Oz/Toto gifs.  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Dismissing Steve Lukather because of Africa, is like dismissing Michael Jordan because of a car commercial back in his rookie year.  The guy has done so much good, quality work for so many outstanding artists...

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
You'd have to be a Dorothy to listen to Toto.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Shut it Cowardly Lion.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

You could wipe the Toto catalogue from the face of the earth and my statement would still be accurate. That's the thing.  He's done SO MUCH outside of Toto that no one knows is him.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

You could wipe the Toto catalogue from the face of the earth and my statement would still be accurate. That's the thing.  He's done SO MUCH outside of Toto that no one knows is him.

Definitely.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
Dismissing Steve Lukather because of Africa, is like dismissing Michael Jordan because of a car commercial back in his rookie year.  The guy has done so much good, quality work for so many outstanding artists...
What's wrong with Africa? I love that song! And Tim can suck it! :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
It's an ok song, but there's very little guitar in it.  "Rosanna" is a better example of their pop side, it at least it still has two killer solos in it, plus one of the coolest drum grooves ever penned.  I read Lukather's autobiography and it's kind of hilarious how much he fought to have their sound be more guitar-dominant, a battle which he frequently lost. 

Offline SoundscapeMN

I wish they had played Rosanna or Africa for the Encore at the show I saw them last month. Instead they did the Beatles "A Little Help from My Friends" which I know they do per Lukather playing in Ringo's All Star Band, but I would have gone for something like '99 or another of their own tunes instead.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
What's wrong with Africa? I love that song! And Tim can suck it! :biggrin:

Every night, he does.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns