Author Topic: DreamSonic 2023  (Read 67397 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: DreamSonic 2023
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2023, 10:29:08 AM »
It's interesting since at their philosophical core, Dream Theater and Devin Townsend are insanely different.

Dream Theater are very serious, want people to really pay attention to their musical abilities, and their fans go in excited for shredding and complexity. While Devin writes songs called Mighty Masturbator and Deconstruction, mocking that entire mindset.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline NoFred

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2023, 10:29:28 AM »
Oof 21+ only, too bad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2023, 10:32:30 AM »
It's interesting since at their philosophical core, Dream Theater and Devin Townsend are insanely different.

Dream Theater are very serious, want people to really pay attention to their musical abilities, and their fans go in excited for shredding and complexity. While Devin writes songs called Mighty Masturbator and Deconstruction, mocking that entire mindset.

Yeah, but at the end of the day, they are both in the same genre and have some overlap of fans.  Plus I'd imagine, even with the differences, that fanbases of one might enjoy the show of the other.

Also, they toured Europe together recently so I'd imagine that played a role in bringing the show to NA.

Devin's a very likeable guy and I know his music won't be for everyone, but I think the Dream Theater fans who aren't familiar, might find themselves very entertained for his set.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »

Yeah, but at the end of the day, they are both in the same genre and have some overlap of fans.  Plus I'd imagine, even with the differences, that fanbases of one might enjoy the show of the other.

Also, they toured Europe together recently so I'd imagine that played a role in bringing the show to NA.

Devin's a very likeable guy and I know his music won't be for everyone, but I think the Dream Theater fans who aren't familiar, might find themselves very entertained for his set.

Oh, for sure. It'll go over well. I just thought there was a level of irony. But yea, at the end of the day it all makes enough sense.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Awaken

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2023, 10:44:50 AM »
Not a massive fan of Bridgeport, but I'll be there June 30!  Great news today!

I'm assuming this will be at the new Hartford Healthcare Amphitheater. Have you been there yet? I saw two shows there after it opened in 2021 and it was an awesome venue. Two beers cost us $39, but the venue itself was stellar.

I've never been to this venue, your feedback has my hopes up!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2023, 10:45:52 AM »
Where are you all seeing a presale/buying tickets?  I went to dreamtheater.net, and it says tickets go on sale Friday.

That said, a show in Inglewood on a Tuesday night isn't the most enticing thing in the world.  I also admittedly don't have any real experience with festivals, but I'm not sure how this is a "festival."  All I know about Devin Townsend is that he made probably the worst ever cover of a Rush song on a "tribute" album released 25-ish years ago.  I know nothing about the other band.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2023, 10:46:15 AM »

Oh, for sure. It'll go over well. I just thought there was a level of irony. But yea, at the end of the day it all makes enough sense.

I'm not even a Devin fan, but I remember him posting about DT (not himself :P) when they were about to go on that European tour leg, and he basically said something along the lines of finding himself crossing paths with them a lot in recent years and being grateful for the opportunity to do this together. I might not like his music, but he seems like a nice guy to hang with :tup

Also, musical wankery/shredding and complexity? That's what AAL are there for :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline UndercoverMyung

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2023, 10:46:24 AM »
Oof 21+ only, too bad.

Source? I don't see this anywhere.... I'm 19 and it would suck if I can't go when they're in town. I don't see why it would be 21+ anyways.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2023, 11:04:14 AM »
Not a massive fan of Bridgeport, but I'll be there June 30!  Great news today!

I'm assuming this will be at the new Hartford Healthcare Amphitheater. Have you been there yet? I saw two shows there after it opened in 2021 and it was an awesome venue. Two beers cost us $39, but the venue itself was stellar.

I've never been to this venue, your feedback has my hopes up!
I saw Tenacious D there last fall and it was a pretty good venue. Parking wasn't bad either.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2023, 11:04:50 AM »
Anyone come across any additional codes, beyond Tuscany and Social? Trying to see what the Denver tickets are going to cost, but neither of those seem to work for that show...

For the Phoenix show it says there are not any pre-sales until tomorrow. I know there are venues that do have early pre-sales, and also early band pre-sales, I usually find these on the venue/band Facebook pages.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline jammindude

« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2023, 11:05:11 AM »
I was starting to get really desperate to try to find a presale code for the Seattle show, but I just now realized that it’s going to take place at Marymoor Park, which is an outdoor venue and I don’t think they commonly have any seating at all. Every show I’ve ever heard about usually has GA. I hope I don’t miss out anyway. But so far I’ve been unable to find any pre-sales.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2023, 11:06:26 AM »
Where are you all seeing a presale/buying tickets?  I went to dreamtheater.net, and it says tickets go on sale Friday.

That said, a show in Inglewood on a Tuesday night isn't the most enticing thing in the world.  I also admittedly don't have any real experience with festivals, but I'm not sure how this is a "festival."  All I know about Devin Townsend is that he made probably the worst ever cover of a Rush song on a "tribute" album released 25-ish years ago.  I know nothing about the other band.
Not all pre-sales started today. For Inglewood it starts tomorrow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2023, 11:08:11 AM »
Oof 21+ only, too bad.

Source? I don't see this anywhere.... I'm 19 and it would suck if I can't go when they're in town. I don't see why it would be 21+ anyways.

Anyone come across any additional codes, beyond Tuscany and Social? Trying to see what the Denver tickets are going to cost, but neither of those seem to work for that show...

For the Phoenix show it says there are not any pre-sales until tomorrow. I know there are venues that do have early pre-sales, and also early band pre-sales, I usually find these on the venue/band Facebook pages.

For both cases, I'd imagine it's venue specific. So check your local shows website to be sure (I'm not sure all dates are livenation, I can only speak for the NYC show which I don't think has an age policy and presale started today)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2023, 11:11:23 AM »
Oof 21+ only, too bad.

For both cases, I'd imagine it's venue specific. So check your local shows website to be sure (I'm not sure all dates are livenation, I can only speak for the NYC show which I don't think has an age policy and presale started today)

The Arizona Financial Theatre uses LiveNation but doesn't have pre-sales, so it is likely venue specific.

The Dreamsonic website is utilizing a different ticketing company, which does not have pre-sales and goes on sale friday. I'll likely just wait and see how the Dreamsonic website ticketing is before I use LiveNation.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline dgilb23912

« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2023, 11:22:32 AM »

Offline dgilb23912

« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2023, 11:28:02 AM »
I was starting to get really desperate to try to find a presale code for the Seattle show, but I just now realized that it’s going to take place at Marymoor Park, which is an outdoor venue and I don’t think they commonly have any seating at all. Every show I’ve ever heard about usually has GA. I hope I don’t miss out anyway. But so far I’ve been unable to find any pre-sales.

There are reserved seats in addition to lawn seating.   Prices aren't terrible either until you add in the TM "fock you" fees.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2023, 11:33:00 AM »

I hope this means an all new set list from DT!

Any presale codes for Connecticut?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2023, 11:35:37 AM »
I've been hoping to see Animals As Leaders for a long time now and while I prefer seeing them solo I'll take them with DT. Tickets for Clearwater don't look like they're posted but I can't wait otherwise.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2023, 11:49:57 AM »

Via the band's website or dreamsonic.com?  There are only buttons for "Tickets" at both sites, and all of them lead to a page that says tickets aren't on sale yet.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2023, 11:51:51 AM »
this only applies to the San Jose Civic show, but the venue presale starting tomorrow at 10AM uses code ALIEN on ticketmaster. 

Unless things change I'd expect the time breakdown to be roughly:
DT - 90 Minutes
Devy - 55 minutes
AAL - 50 minutes

So I wouldn't consider this a festival in the traditional sense, more of a prog-branded tour where they can utilize the same website/artwork/name ownership of Dreamsonic year after year with different bands each time.  So similar to what Prog Nation was in spirit, but a bit smaller. 

Offline NoFred

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2023, 12:00:28 PM »
Oof 21+ only, too bad.

Yeah this is for Chicago (Gary IN) saw restriction on TM listing.

My kids have seen both DTs multiple times, sucks we’ll miss out on this one.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2023, 12:20:36 PM »

Via the band's website or dreamsonic.com?  There are only buttons for "Tickets" at both sites, and all of them lead to a page that says tickets aren't on sale yet.
Ticketmaster site:
https://www.ticketmaster.com/dreamsonic-2023-dream-theater-devin-townsend-inglewood-california-07-25-2023/event/0A005E86E6064D33

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2023, 12:48:02 PM »
So I wouldn't consider this a festival in the traditional sense, more of a prog-branded tour where they can utilize the same website/artwork/name ownership of Dreamsonic year after year with different bands each time.  So similar to what Prog Nation was in spirit, but a bit smaller.

If they end up doing it enough, it would be cool if it eventually turned into a proper festival. North America is in desperate need of good prog/metal-centric festivals like the ones in Europe.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Kram

« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2023, 12:49:01 PM »
Oof at the prices, definitely sitting in the back for NYC  :lol

Front row in Austin!  Let the waiting begin.  I hope DT's set is still 2 hours even with having two openers.

I am expecting this to be the set times...

Animals As Leaders: 1:00
Devin Townsend: 1:30
Dream Theater: 2:00

Highly doubt this.  NYC show starts at 7pm. 

Animals as Leaders: 30 minutes
Devin Townsend: 45-50 minutes
Dream Theater: 90-100 minutes

with typical stoppage between bands, that ends the show around 10:45 which is normal for a 7pm start.
I would say this sounds about right.

Offline Kram

« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2023, 12:49:50 PM »
Oh goodie. They didn’t add any Australian dates on a year long tour so  thatthey could tour North America and Canada again.

Thanks COVID. You really screwed us over. We lost out on Scenes from a Memory, but we also don’t get to see the band again at all to compensate.
I feel your pain!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #60 on: April 12, 2023, 05:50:53 PM »
Before I buy a ticket to this, what would be the best Devin Townsend album to see if I can get into his music?

The only way I've heard of him is from the Steve Vai record Sex & Religion. I really do not like his vocal style on that album but I am not sure if that is representative.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 06:24:30 PM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

Offline RJ86

« Reply #61 on: April 12, 2023, 06:11:18 PM »
Dont care about the opening acts, but considering grabbing a couple of tix. Is there any reason to not expect a full Dream Theater show with this tour?

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: April 12, 2023, 06:30:40 PM »
I definitely think it'll be a shorter DT set if that's what you're asking.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #63 on: April 12, 2023, 06:37:58 PM »
I see presales for the Vancouver show. I'm not happy with the venue they are playing (it’s a bit of a trek) but I’m sure I will go. I have to see Devin at least once.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2023, 06:44:55 PM »

This.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2023, 07:07:31 PM »
I hope they play a more varied set this time and not some of the same songs they played on the View tour.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2023, 07:15:25 PM »
Before I buy a ticket to this, what would be the best Devin Townsend album to see if I can get into his music?

The only way I've heard of him is from the Steve Vai record Sex & Religion. I really do not like his vocal style on that album but I am not sure if that is representative.

Depends on what you're into - his catalog is very diverse. You mostly into prog metal? More straightforward rock? Extreme metal?

I'd also urge anyone who wants to learn more about Devin Townsend to check out the discography thread that Metropolis is currently running! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=58218.0
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline thunderdog10

« Reply #67 on: April 12, 2023, 08:38:40 PM »
anyone know Orlando code?

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2023, 12:51:36 AM »
I've seen Boston and Styx there, and it was all reserved seating except for a general admission area way out back..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2023, 05:43:14 AM »

This.

I'm almost debating holding off on buying tickets because of this. I highly doubt they'll come anywhere close to selling out the venue they're playing in CT.   

I wondering if I should wait until the tour starts to see how long their set is. I don't think I'd be interested if DT is only playing for 60-75 minutes.