Author Topic: DreamSonic 2023  (Read 67374 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: DreamSonic 2023
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2023, 12:34:17 PM »
I also don’t expect a ton of different songs, but they are billing it as a yearly festival and a night of “history-making” music, so I hope that it’s more surprising than expected.

There's a lot of people getting too worked up over the "festival" billing of this tour.  There's nothing that I can tell, and maybe I am wrong or that changes, that shows anything other than a 3 band tour and not really a festival.  "History-making" means absolutely nothing if they aren't marketing the exact thing that makes it history making.  This post is "history-making" technically.

I think they are only advertising it as a festival so they can continue using the "dreamsonic" name for future similar tours.  To me, it's similar to Slipknot's Knotfest Roadshow tours where they use that same name and every summer tour of the US just has different openers for Slipknot.  Or as DT has done before, the ProgNation tour. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2023, 01:32:10 PM »
I would absolutely love it if the band treated this "Festival" as something separate from their AVFTTOTW branded tour, thus giving them a reason to make an entirely different set. From what we've seen so far, they've been playing mostly past songs that Mangini has played before, and adding in like 1 or 2 songs he hasn't played live yet. If you ask me, this would be a perfect moment for them to finally bust out Octavarium.
Yeah, no. That would be the worst time, because I'd imagine this tour is only for North America (they already hit Europe twice on the current album-tour cycle) and you can be sure the fanbase around the world will want to experience it too. Never mind the fact that it will eat up a lot of the setlist, and they'll need the proper amount of time to rehearse it.

Now, will it be resurrected in the future? I'm almost 100% positive it will. I wouldn't be surprised to see it for the next album-tour cycle. But to believe it would be good to bring it back for a tour where they're (likely) to play an abbreviated set doesn't make sense.

Yeah, I see your point.

I think they are only advertising it as a festival so they can continue using the "dreamsonic" name for future similar tours.  To me, it's similar to Slipknot's Knotfest Roadshow tours where they use that same name and every summer tour of the US just has different openers for Slipknot.  Or as DT has done before, the ProgNation tour.

I thought the exact same thing. It is very similar to the Knotfest Tours. The thing with Knotfest though was they made it worth the money for VIP, they included an entire mobile museum with memorabilia from their entire career. I went with my cousin and it was pretty neat being able to see how much stuff they had.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Awaken

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2023, 01:40:41 PM »
I also don’t expect a ton of different songs, but they are billing it as a yearly festival and a night of “history-making” music, so I hope that it’s more surprising than expected.

There's a lot of people getting too worked up over the "festival" billing of this tour.  There's nothing that I can tell, and maybe I am wrong or that changes, that shows anything other than a 3 band tour and not really a festival.  "History-making" means absolutely nothing if they aren't marketing the exact thing that makes it history making.  This post is "history-making" technically.

I hope you're wrong, but think you're spot on. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2023, 01:46:15 PM »
Given that DT has a history of playing their more accessible songs when they are playing to fans who may not know them well (which can be said for some AAL and Devin fans going), it will be entertaining to see heads explode in this thread when Pull Me Under, The Spirit Carries On and/or As I Am are on the set list. :lol :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2023, 01:53:40 PM »
I know I usually get too excited and start conjuring up different scenarios in my mind about setlist predictions. While I have what I want the setlist to sort of be close to, I know darn well it most likely will just be the close to the same setlist for the AVFTTOTW tour.

Here's what I wouldn't mind the setlist being if they did not play any 15min+ songs...

The Alien
The Enemy Inside
A Fortune In Lies
Moment of Betrayal
On The Backs of Angels
Paralyzed
Answering The Call
A Savior In The Square/When Your Time Has Come
Transcending Time
Chosen
Stream of Consciousness
Breaking All Illusions
At Wit's End
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: April 17, 2023, 01:56:59 PM »
Given that DT has a history of playing their more accessible songs when they are playing to fans who may not know them well (which can be said for some AAL and Devin fans going), it will be entertaining to see heads explode in this thread when Pull Me Under, The Spirit Carries On and/or As I Am are on the set list. :lol :lol

I was thinking this myself.  I'd bet PMU stays in the set.  It wasn't on the first US leg and it's their hit. 

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #181 on: April 17, 2023, 01:57:19 PM »
Looking to get tickets to Iowa but the wife has a bum knee.  :(

I'm not sure I am going to take AAL very well.

Offline Kram

« Reply #182 on: April 17, 2023, 03:28:14 PM »
LOL.... so true

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #183 on: April 17, 2023, 03:32:08 PM »

I was thinking this myself.  I'd bet PMU stays in the set.  It wasn't on the first US leg and it's their hit.

I have to go back and check; now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen them play Pull Me Under live.  And it IS a favorite of mine...

Are you going to any of these shows, Marc?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #184 on: April 17, 2023, 03:36:33 PM »
Looking to get tickets to Iowa but the wife has a bum knee.  :(

I'm not sure I am going to take AAL very well.

Their newest album is pretty accessible compared to their previous ones. If there is one AAL album to give a chance, it's this one.

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #185 on: April 17, 2023, 06:09:47 PM »

That’s exactly how I feel as well, that’s why I said I *hoped* it would be more surprising, but it’s not likely. Especially since there’s only like a month between the end of their final Top of the World leg and that start of this one, and they don’t seem to do many changes to the set when there’s that little of time in between tours.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: April 17, 2023, 07:05:37 PM »
I know I'm the minority on this forum but I really hope that AAL gets at least a time slot as long as Devin.

I listened to both AAL and Devin for the first time yesterday. My Sunday job affords me the ability to play music all day, so I listened to about 6 hours of music between the two. I was genuinely impressed with AAL. If they can play live as good as they do in studio, I'd take no issues with them being on stage a bit longer.

Devin blew me away too. He's got some vocals that make a few of the songs I listened to not my cup of tea, but I'm still really looking forward to seeing him live too. There was one in particular I really liked - Spirits Will Collide. I hope we get to hear that one. What a banger.

Oh they fucking can, those guys are crazy live. TOoth and Claw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DzKjuYh5ZM

Matt Gartska posted a full drum cam video of a show last year and it's truly insane: https://youtu.be/FKHHPHoLXyA

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: April 18, 2023, 07:59:52 AM »

I have to go back and check; now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've ever seen them play Pull Me Under live.  And it IS a favorite of mine...

I haven't bought tickets, but at this time I'm just doing NYC.  I'm looking to do a different weekend trip after NYC so that puts CT/Philly/Boston in conflict. Usually I'd only care to go once for the second leg anyway, but if I didn't already have plans with my gf (we both want to go to Red Rocks in Colorado that weekend for two concerts, Dirty Heads and 311, but we haven't booked yet) I'd be open to going to more shows because I like this touring line up a lot. We will see, if I do go to CT (I assume that's where you'll be) I'll let you know.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2023, 10:47:06 AM »

I haven't bought tickets, but at this time I'm just doing NYC.  I'm looking to do a different weekend trip after NYC so that puts CT/Philly/Boston in conflict. Usually I'd only care to go once for the second leg anyway, but if I didn't already have plans with my gf (we both want to go to Red Rocks in Colorado that weekend for two concerts, Dirty Heads and 311, but we haven't booked yet) I'd be open to going to more shows because I like this touring line up a lot. We will see, if I do go to CT (I assume that's where you'll be) I'll let you know.

Sounds like an awesome trip!!!

Yeah, I'll be in Bridgeport; just dawned on me that that's a different arena for them in CT.  They've played Wallingford for years and years each tour.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2023, 11:00:37 AM »

Sounds like an awesome trip!!!

Yeah, I'll be in Bridgeport; just dawned on me that that's a different arena for them in CT.  They've played Wallingford for years and years each tour.

I've been listening since 2004, and I don't think I've seen them play anywhere that wasn't the Oakdale since the tour with YES, whenever that was. That show was at The Meadows.   

I'm really looking forward to seeing them elsewhere.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2023, 11:02:16 AM »
Maybe this tour/festival is under a different promoter?  The NYC venue is not their usual as well.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »
Maybe this tour/festival is under a different promoter?  The NYC venue is not their usual as well.

Hence why it's labelled as a Festival and not a Dream Theater album tour?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2023, 07:21:09 AM »
Not to mention the fact that the North Carolina venue is nonexistant.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2023, 07:24:46 AM »

Is the NYC venue outdoor?

I'm wondering if that's where the "festival" element is coming from.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 07:41:15 AM by Chino »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2023, 07:30:05 AM »
They're playing the same venue in Boston that they always play in the summer.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2023, 07:59:55 AM »

No to the NYC question.  It's the theater within Madison Square Garden.  It's about twice the size of Beacon Theatre where they often play in NYC at over 5k capacity (although the last sections aren't being sold so it'll be considerably less, maybe 4k?). 

I figured the change would be for shooting for bigger theaters since it seems the promoter expects a bigger turn out than just DT alone (that makes some sense). But for the Oakdale, that previously had the back sections curtained off so I'd guess they could have still played it but opened up the place fully?  Just guessing here. It's still livenation ticketing though.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2023, 08:43:37 AM »

No to the NYC question.  It's the theater within Madison Square Garden.  It's about twice the size of Beacon Theatre where they often play in NYC at over 5k capacity (although the last sections aren't being sold so it'll be considerably less, maybe 4k?). 

I figured the change would be for shooting for bigger theaters since it seems the promoter expects a bigger turn out than just DT alone (that makes some sense). But for the Oakdale, that previously had the back sections curtained off so I'd guess they could have still played it but opened up the place fully?  Just guessing here. It's still livenation ticketing though.

I think you're referring to the Oakdale's "wings" on both sides of the main floor. Those are always closed when DT plays. There's a balcony as well they they've never opened up for DT either. I'd say at least 25% of that venue is closed off when DT plays.   

I have no idea how contracting works with venues these days. There's already a show on the 30th at the Oakdale (former members of Chicago and E,W,&F). Maybe it was just a matter of venue availability in that date range.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2023, 09:24:39 AM »
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, but speaking just for CT, I can't imagine they're moving on from the Oakdale because they need a larger venue just because they added AAL and DT.  Look, I'm as big a fan of Devin as anyone, but I would be stunned beyond words if he played Connecticut and it was anything bigger than Toad's Place (700 people).  There might be other things going on, and I'm pretty thrilled that there is something different happening, but this isn't, I don't think, about "butts in seats".
« Last Edit: April 19, 2023, 09:42:02 AM by Stadler »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2023, 09:37:26 AM »
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, but speaking just for CT, I can't imagine they're moving on from the Oakdale because they need a larger venue just because they added AAL and DT.  Look, I'm as big a fan of Devin as anyone, but I would be stunned beyond words if he played Connecticut and it was anything bigger than Toad's Place (700 people).  There might be other things going on, and I'm pretty thrilled that there is something different happening.

I wonder this myself.  I think Devin plays in 500-1k capacity venues in the US.  I'm guessing AAL are similar.  It's like the promoter said, DT draws 2k + Devins 1k + AAL 1k = 4k venues. But I'm not sold the math truly works out that way.  It may (I'm not an expert, just giving my thoughts).  Id say there's lots of overlaps in the fan bases, but then there may also be those who wouldn't see any single of these bands on their own but would go because of the tour package of all 3.  However, IMO, I don't think the tickets are cheap enough to draw in that last group.  It's why you might see a packed lawn for big summer concerts.  Those cheap tickets get sold to a lot of casual fans.  Maybe other cities have that option, but NYC doesn't have a cheap get in the door price.  We'll see.  I plan on monitoring the NYC ticket situation because I didn't buy yet and I'm hoping to get a deal as it gets closer.

Offline Kram

« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2023, 11:53:42 AM »
I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong here, but speaking just for CT, I can't imagine they're moving on from the Oakdale because they need a larger venue just because they added AAL and DT.  Look, I'm as big a fan of Devin as anyone, but I would be stunned beyond words if he played Connecticut and it was anything bigger than Toad's Place (700 people).  There might be other things going on, and I'm pretty thrilled that there is something different happening.

I wonder this myself.  I think Devin plays in 500-1k capacity venues in the US.  I'm guessing AAL are similar.  It's like the promoter said, DT draws 2k + Devins 1k + AAL 1k = 4k venues. But I'm not sold the math truly works out that way.  It may (I'm not an expert, just giving my thoughts).  Id say there's lots of overlaps in the fan bases, but then there may also be those who wouldn't see any single of these bands on their own but would go because of the tour package of all 3.  However, IMO, I don't think the tickets are cheap enough to draw in that last group.  It's why you might see a packed lawn for big summer concerts.  Those cheap tickets get sold to a lot of casual fans.  Maybe other cities have that option, but NYC doesn't have a cheap get in the door price.  We'll see.  I plan on monitoring the NYC ticket situation because I didn't buy yet and I'm hoping to get a deal as it gets closer.
I'd say you hit the nail on the head here.  No way they sell 4K seats based on this math.  Maybe 2,500.  That's just my opinion based on the available facts.  But then again what do I know.. lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2023, 12:11:48 PM »
Animals as Leaders usually play at Irving Plaza here in NYC, which has a 1.2K capacity (I think). I haven't seen them in a while, but last I saw them there the place was sold out.

Actually found this video from last year, the place looks packed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXd7dyKlGig
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2023, 12:27:01 PM »
Animals as Leaders usually play at Irving Plaza here in NYC, which has a 1.2K capacity (I think). I haven't seen them in a while, but last I saw them there the place was sold out.

My understanding is Irving Plaza is 1k.  Devin's last NYC show was at Warsaw in Brooklyn, apparently also 1k capacity and was sold out (I was there). I get my numbers from googling, no idea if it's accurate, but seems fairly close to being right.

I didn't go to Dream Theater's last NYC show (I went to NJ and CT) but it was at Beacon Theatre and that apparently has a 2.6k capacity.  I know they've sold it out before so even if it wasn't sold out last show, I'm sure it was well attended (Mike Portnoy was even there). 

If you add those 3 capacities up, you get 4.6k, the capacity of Hulu Theater where they are playing this tour in NYC is 5.6.  Subtract out the closed off seating and the math works out in this example.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2023, 08:42:49 PM »

I follow them on insta and they sold out every show except one but obviously smaller venues than DT.

Personally I wouldn't be making this trip if it wasn't for AAL. I've seen DT enough to not travel more than 2 hours for them. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2023, 06:19:38 PM »
It still seems unlikely to me that AAL and DdTo add that many more people, since prog fans were aleady going to go to any of them. Devin played to less than 1k last time through (with Haken opening) and I suspect half of those people would have attended a DT show. AAl scores about the same.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2023, 07:16:39 PM »
I wonder if Devin Townsend has a pull up here in the Pacific Northwest since he's from Vancouver BC.  Pretty much from our area right next door so to speak. 
Dream Theater used to have a decent turnout  in Seattle, but prog fans are sadly diminishing it seems like.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2023, 07:01:59 AM »
I do find it odd they think the Vancouver venue is fitting for the show. Perhaps DT felt with the AAL and Devin, they could swing for a bigger venue? Even though both the openers only fill the Commodore when they come here.

I am a bit worried that the crowd will be underwhelming. Or they may come for one band and leave for the other. That happened with Prog Nation. Half the Orpheum balcony left following Opeth.

I am also shocked at the same time that people are not grabbing up the tickets like a madhouse. DT has not been to Vancouver in almost 10 years.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2023, 07:07:51 AM »
On another note, imagine if DT did a short-song-only setlist:

Forsaken
The Looking Glass
I walk Beside You
Gift of Music
Fall Into the Light
Invisible Monster
Status Seeker
Another Day
Out Of Reach
Moment of Betrayal
Voices
Burning My Soul
As I Am
The Spirit Carries On
Pull Me Under

Encore: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence :P
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Online pg1067

« Reply #207 on: April 22, 2023, 10:29:54 PM »
Only with Dream Theater could you have someone suggest that a song that's 7 seconds shy of 10:00 is a "short song."  :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: April 24, 2023, 05:59:03 AM »
On another note, imagine if DT did a short-song-only setlist:

Forsaken
The Looking Glass
I walk Beside You
Gift of Music
Fall Into the Light
Invisible Monster
Status Seeker
Another Day
Out Of Reach
Moment of Betrayal
Voices
Burning My Soul
As I Am
The Spirit Carries On
Pull Me Under

Encore: Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence :P

Other than Invisible Monster, I'd be thrilled with that set.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: April 24, 2023, 06:32:05 AM »
That's a pretty decent list, move the spirit carries on a bit earlier so I can have a bathroom/beer break.