Author Topic: Podcasts - Suggestions?  (Read 1255 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Podcasts - Suggestions?
« on: April 11, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
Looking for some suggestions for podcasts. I have ‘comedy’ covered I believe…..am looking for some good ones in these categories:

- History
- Philosophy
- Science / Astronomy (universe and stuff like that)
- Theology / Religion

Or…..any others that you all enjoy. Appreciate any suggestions
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Podcasts - Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 03:17:58 PM »
History - hardcore history with dan carlin

Science - lex friedman

Philosophy - I personally love seminars by Terrence McKenna. He's dead, but they are all online for free

And even though I've kind of lost interest in Joe Rogan, he has almost every single type of guest you can think off. Like you can just look up a neil degrass tyson episode and you will get a science podcast

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 05:56:36 PM »
I don't listen to podcast anymore, but when I used to my go to were Joe Rogan (before all the controversy surrounding him), StarTalk (with Neil Degrasse Tyson) and Planetary Radio (a lot about space exploration, and policies surrounding it).
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 06:08:49 PM »
+1 for Hardcore History.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 05:52:43 PM »
+1 for Hardcore History.
:tup

Yeah…..thanks for this one  :tup   Drove to and from KC today (4hrs one way  :() and listened to the one he did on the history of the Atlantic Slave Trade. LOTS to unpack in what I heard but it was very informative.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 07:03:01 PM »
If you liked that episode, I highly recommend Wrath of the khans and Ghosts of the ostfront.

First one is ghagis khan and the second is the eastern front in WW2. Both are favorite episodes of mine

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 07:21:07 PM »
Not from your list but I love Rocktails. Ahmet Zappa and a few buds pick a music topic,  get drunk and go off the rails. 1 hour that I laugh my ass off.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 07:26:31 PM »
If you liked that episode, I highly recommend Wrath of the khans and Ghosts of the ostfront.

First one is ghagis khan and the second is the eastern front in WW2. Both are favorite episodes of mine

Awesome…..thanks!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 08:35:23 PM »
I've had the Dan Carlin podcast on my list forever, this might be the impetus to finally listen to it. I've heard the WWI is fantastic and want to check that out.

I like the Freakonomics podcast, they often have interesting data driven feedback on a lot of areas you'd find either boring or unrelatable. There was one on food and the science behind making it taste better and what the data showed.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Awaken

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 04:32:33 AM »
Huberman Lab is a great resource for low/no cost science-based personal improvement/optimization. 

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 07:04:34 AM »
I've had the Dan Carlin podcast on my list forever, this might be the impetus to finally listen to it. I've heard the WWI is fantastic and want to check that out.

I've listened to that one twice over the years. I don't even know if you can call that one a podcast. It's more like 25-30 hours of horror stories. Its amazing.   

He's got another one called The Destroyer of Worlds that's all about the atomic age that's pretty wild.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 09:50:42 AM »
By no means do I listen to all his interviews, or even most of them, but I really enjoy the interviews Rich Roll does with extreme endurance athletes. He also interviews authors more in line with the subjects you mentioned.

The only other podcasts I listen to are kind of niche for this discussion.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 10:13:21 AM »

I've listened to that one twice over the years. I don't even know if you can call that one a podcast. It's more like 25-30 hours of horror stories. Its amazing.   

He's got another one called The Destroyer of Worlds that's all about the atomic age that's pretty wild.

This one I listened to on the history of the slave trade was horrifying.....I'll use the words interesting and informative as well but I don't want that to minimize how haunting it was by any means. Just a lot of information that I had never considered.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 10:35:40 AM »

This one I listened to on the history of the slave trade was horrifying.....I'll use the words interesting and informative as well but I don't want that to minimize how haunting it was by any means. Just a lot of information that I had never considered.

I felt that way after going to the National Museum of African American History and Culture in October last year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC