Author Topic: Marvel Studios' - The Marvels - SPOILERS  (Read 4593 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Marvel Studios' - The Marvels - SPOILERS
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2023, 10:35:22 AM »
Let's discuss the movie openly now.

Those who haven't seen it, scroll past this point with precaution

*****SPOILERS*****
*******ARE********
***NOW ALLOWED***

You must be new here, so let me start by saying:  Welcome to the forum!!!

So, just to let you know, that isn't what we do here.  Instead, we just say how much we would love to talk about it once we can discuss without having to worry about spoilers, but then we never really discuss it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2023, 10:39:48 AM »
Frankly, I'm uncertain about the meaning of your message. It's unclear to me whether you're being sarcastic, humorous, or introducing a new rule.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2023, 01:17:02 PM »
Let's discuss the movie openly now.

Those who haven't seen it, scroll past this point with precaution

*****SPOILERS*****
*******ARE********
***NOW ALLOWED***

You must be new here, so let me start by saying:  Welcome to the forum!!!

So, just to let you know, that isn't what we do here.  Instead, we just say how much we would love to talk about it once we can discuss without having to worry about spoilers, but then we never really discuss it.

:rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2023, 11:45:06 AM »
I rest my case.  Almost zero substantive discussion.  :lol

Anyway, here's maybe somewhat of a hot take:  This movie was a resounding success.  Not in terms of commercial success.  Sadly and unfortunately, I think the first week performance and review bombing will doom the movie to ultimately be seen as an underperformer.  But of the 10 films in phases 4 and 5 thus far, I think I'd put it top 3.  Definitely top 5, even if it ends up cooling off for me a bit over time once the newness has worn off.  And other than the two Avengers films scheduled to cap off phase 6, I don't see anything on the confirmed list that would move it down.  It will absolutely finish in the top half of the phases 4-6 saga for me.  And aside from just personal tastes, where I think it succeeded tremendously is that it told a good, fun, feel-good story that didn't feel like it was mired in lack of identity or lack of direction.  This movie showed that Marvel can still be fun.  AND it showed that Marvel can be interconnected without feeling like an aimless adventure that isn't tied to a clear direction.  This was a great "standalone" film, but also had very clear ties to both the MCU's past, and to a couple of important threads for the MCU future in both setting up the Young Avengers (which we have seen building for a little while now) and the Kang/multiverse saga.  Regardless of its flaws and its boxoffice performance, I hope the powers that be at Marvel take serious note of what this film did right and use that going forward.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2023, 12:30:34 PM »
Yeah this movie game me hope for the future of the MCU, not necessarily for what's coming, but that when they take their time and don't rush something, it can actually be good.

I rest my case.  Almost zero substantive discussion.  :lol

I swear I opened the thread to post the same thing, that your point was proven  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2023, 02:02:39 PM »
OK, here's another stupid article:

I’ve Had A Big Problem With Secret Invasion, And After Seeing The Marvels, It’s Even Worse
Adam Holmes
Mon, November 13, 2023 at 6:50 PM PST

Warning: SPOILERS for Secret Invasion and The Marvels are ahead!

As someone who’s watched nearly all the Marvel movies in order on the big screen (The Incredible Hulk being the sole exception) and followed along with each MCU TV show during their original runs to Disney+ subscribers, I’ve enjoyed most of what this superhero franchise has delivered over the last 15 years. However, in recent months, Secret Invasion has cemented itself as one of my least-favorite projects from this shared universe. There are various issues I had with the limited series, but after seeing The Marvels, one of its most glaring problems has become even worse: how it’s largely unnecessary viewing for the MCU experience.

How The Marvels Made Secret Invasion Feel Less Important

2023 has been a big year for Samuel L. Jackson in the MCU, as his Nick Fury finally got to be a leading character thanks to Secret Invasion, and he’s now back in a supporting capacity for The Marvels. Going into the latter project, I was curious to see how Fury’s experience dealing with the Skrulls in the former show would be addressed. After all, shapeshifting aliens infiltrating human society is a pretty big deal even by MCU standards, so surely it would come up in conversation during The Marvels since Fury played an integral in foiling this plot, right?

Nope, not at all! While we did get quick mentions of events from other MCU shows, such as Monica Rambeau gaining her superpowers in WandaVision and Kamala Khan’s superhero exploits in Ms. Marvel, Fury’s conflict with Gravik and his rebel Skrulls wasn’t brought up. Fortunately, the absence of anything Secret Invasion doesn’t impact the flow of The Marvels, but this also serves as a further reminder of how this show isn’t nearly as important to the MCU mythology as we thought it would be.

Remember that prior to Secret Invasion, the MCU’s Nick Fury was last seen in Spider-Man: Far From Home’s end-credits scene, when it was revealed that the Fury we’d followed with in the main story was actually Talos, and that the real deal had actually been hanging out in space with other Skrulls. Cut to The Marvels, Fury is seen commanding the S.A.B.E.R. space station, and while Fury’s work off Earth was repeatedly mentioned in Secret Invasion, one could easily go from Far From Home to this latest Marvel movie and not feel like they’re missing a beat with this character. He came back to Earth at the start of Secret Invasion and went back to space by the end. Everything that happened in between might as well be a footnote in the timeline of Nick Fury’s life as far as The Marvels is concerned.

Secret Invasion Feels Like One Of The Least Necessary MCU Watches

Now to be fair, most of Marvel Studios’ TV shows have so far felt like supplementary projects meant to enhance the MCU experience, but don’t serve as mandatory watches. The main exception to this so far has been Loki, which, following the wacky and emotional Season 2 finale, has set up a new status quo for the Marvel multiverse. I’d hoped that Secret Invasion would be more along the lines of Loki in terms of importance, but so far that’s not the case whatsoever.

I could spend hours talking about everything that was dissatisfying about Secret Invasion, but for the purposes of this piece, The Marvels straight up ignoring the series is just another example of how pointless of a watch it nows feels. Need more proof? Throughout Secret Invasion, it’s presented as though there aren’t any other worlds left for the Skrulls to set up a new home, with Earth being the only safe place of refuge. And yet, in The Marvels, we see Emperor Dro'ge and a Skrull colony on Tarnax. Granted, that colony was destroyed by Dar-Benn, but you can understand what I’m talking about.

Additionally, Talos sacrificing his life to save President Ritson in Secret Invasion amounted to nothing considering that he not only later ordered all Skrulls discovered on Earth to be killed, but he won’t be Commander in Chief much longer, as Harrison Ford’s Thunderbolt Ross will be president in Captain America: Brave New World. I also have my doubts if G’iah’s alliance with Sonya Falsworth will ever amount to anything, and I’ll be shocked if Maria Hill’s death in the premiere is mentioned in any movies going feared. At the point, there’s only one Secret Invasion plot point that looks like it’ll have any major bearing on the MCU going forward, although not one I particularly like.

The Main Way Secret Invasion Looks Like It Will Impact The MCU

Halfway through Secret Invasion’s run, viewers learned that Don Cheadle’s James Rhodes was actually the Skull Varra carrying out Gravik’s orders. The real Rhodey was freed in the finale with other prisoners on New Skrullos, including Martin Freeman’s Everett Ross, and while it wasn’t spelled out how long the man who pilots the War Machine armor was held captive, it is telling that was shown wearing a hospital gown.

Director Ali Selim later told CinemaBlend that he envisions Rhodey being kidnapped shortly after Captain America: Civil War. In other words, the Rhodey we saw between then and the end of Secret Invasion was Varra the whole time. If you’re like me, this mildly diminishes the emotional impact of Tony Stark’s death in Avengers: Endgame, as it’s Varra who’s saying goodbye to him, not his actual best friend.

Cheadle is next set to reprise Rhodey in the Armor Wars movie (which was originally developed as a TV show), which will take place after Secret Invasion and follow the character trying to get Tony Stark’s technology out of the wrong hands. Interestingly enough, before the Secret Invasion finale aired, Cheadle teased that Rhodey is going to be in “a very different place” during Armor Wars. So not only was the actor aware that a Skrull was impersonating Rhodey, but it also sounds like this will be directly addressed in the upcoming Marvel movie.

Whether or not that actually happens remains to be seen though, because if The Marvels can get away with not bringing up anything that happened in Secret Invasion, I won’t be surprised if Armor Wars gets away with this too. In any case, despite being touted as a big event even by MCU standards, Secret Invasion feels insignificant overall in the grand scheme of things, and The Marvels only further hammers this home.

With The Marvels now playing in theaters, we’re done with MCU content in 2023. Echo is the next of the upcoming Marvel TV shows, with all its episodes dropping on January 10. The next MCU movie is Deadpool 3, which is now slated for release on July 26, 2024.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ve-had-big-problem-secret-025014808.html

My problem with the article isn't that the author didn't really care for Secret Invasion, and now feels it is even less important after The Marvels.  That's all fine.  Opinions and all.  But a key premise that he mentions several times is just wrong, namely that The Marvels allegedly ignored (and backtracked from) what happened in Secret Invasion.  Um...no it didn't.  Yeah, it didn't expressly mention what happened in Secret Invasion.  But it didn't need to.  It's not telling an extension of that story.  It's telling a completely different story about something completely different that is happening now, albeit with one of the same main characters (Fury).  But that doesn't somehow mean Marvel is abandoning Secret Invasion.  I mean, they might.  But The Marvels has nothing to do with that.  I had a really great moment with my daughter yesterday.  It was really meaningful and really important.  I haven't mentioned it at all to anyone at work today.  Why?  Because I'm focused on something completely different, and that isn't relevant to what I'm doing here at work.  Does it diminish the importance of that interaction?  Nope.  The two story threads are both very real parts of my life.  But aside from the fact that they both happened to me, they don't have any immediate relevance to one another, and they thus don't have any reason to intersect, at least not at this point in my life.

Second of all, although the events of Secret Invasion were not directly mentioned, there were definite overlaps and connections.  The author says this: "if The Marvels can get away with not bringing up anything that happened in Secret Invasion, I won’t be surprised if Armor Wars gets away with this too."  Well, that's stupid.  They did mention some things in The Marvels.  But more importantly, they showed us some things.  For example, in Secret Invasion, Talos mentions Emperor Dro'ge and a Skrull colony on Tarnax.  In The Marvels, we actually get to see exactly that.  Why is there a need to tell us when they can effectively show us, which they did?  I guess the author missed that (and other things). 

Third, and this is somewhat related to point #1, the threads from Secret Invasion weren't meant to be directly picked up in The Marvels, but will likely be picked up and dealt with later.  The three major threads I see going on in the MCU right now are (1) the Kang/multiverse saga (the major one), (2) the Young Avengers, (3) continuing/growing tensions between supers vs. nonsupers, earthlings vs. aliens, etc.  There might be other threads too.  And, yes, I think those are likely to intertwine and all become subsumed in #1, just as different story threads in phases 1-3 all wove together in Infinity War and Endgame.  But in any case, The Marvels advanced the ball on threads 1 and 2.  It wasn't meant to deal with #3.  But other MCU properties are.  It looks like Armor Wars is set to do that.  Others may as well, in ways we might not yet anticipate.  Again, the fact that the very next big screen film after Secret Invasion didn't deal with Secret Invasion doesn't mean that Secret Invasion is now to be forgotten. 

Dumb article is dumb.  The author really should have taken the time to think before writing that.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2023, 03:06:40 PM »
Ok...spoilery thoughts...

- Iman stole the movie for me, can't overstate how much I adore her and how she portrays her character. Talk about Marvel finding gold on that casting.

- the scenes in the beginning where the three were involved in three different fights and were switching back and forth was masterfully handled, Marvel did a killer job on that, especially when Kamala found out that Carol had been in her house. She portrayed the perfect fan girl.

- When they got to the singing planet I got nervous, that scene reeked of cringe for me and I had fears that they were going to tank it like Thor 4...fortunately they dropped that really quickly.

- Having the escape with everyone being eaten by Goose's kids was a stretch, and when they started playing Memories I laughed at the stupidity of it. Cringe, but within my tolerance levels for an MCU product.

- Kick ass ending, good dramatics with Monica saving the day by sacrificing herself.

- Totally confused why the Kahn's moved into Monica's house, either a sentimental dig that failed to hit with me, or a setup I'm not seeing.

-ending scene of Kamala and Kate was fucking brilliant, love love loved it.

-post-credit scene is where I have problems....I'm tired of seeing re-hashed old school X-men, I want a new X-men team to start being introduced.

There....happy?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2023, 05:01:26 PM »
Samuel L. Jackson's portrayal of Nick Fury seems off, particularly following "Secret Invasion". His character in this movie appears more like a different version rather than the one we're familiar with, giving the impression that he's just making a brief appearance.

The film includes the Skrulls, and as usual, after watching it, many fans, including myself, think they could have written a better script. I'm baffled as to why this sequel wasn't "Secret Invasion" (which, in my opinion, is one of the weakest MCU Disney+ series). "Secret Invasion" would have been more suited as an Avengers movie or at least a "Captain Marvel" sequel featuring some Avengers, similar to "Civil War". This storyline could have significantly contributed to Captain Marvel's character arc, especially considering her connections with the Skrulls and her and Fury's unfulfilled promise to find them a home. Instead, her character is constrained by the current plot.

The mid-credit scene is a highlight, hinting at future developments. It's these kinds of teasers that keep the audience's interest in the MCU alive, even as it seems to be losing its former appeal.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: November 15, 2023, 06:57:26 AM »
- Totally confused why the Kahn's moved into Monica's house, either a sentimental dig that failed to hit with me, or a setup I'm not seeing.

-ending scene of Kamala and Kate was fucking brilliant, love love loved it.

-post-credit scene is where I have problems....I'm tired of seeing re-hashed old school X-men, I want a new X-men team to start being introduced.
To the bolded, yes please! There's been so many rumors of who will play Wolverine that is like, just get some new actors there. I get why they are doing it (different universes blah blah, original xmen run is canon, blah blah) but just give us new blood already.

The first point, I thought it was the Khan's, but then I realized that its Captain Marvel that's moving in (mainly because of the line she said about the plane, that she's just taking care of it until Monica returns). I could be wrong of course, but that's the way I saw it. Doesn't explain why she would need help from the whole family using U-Haul boxes, but yeah.

The second point, yes, I literally said "Kate Bishop!" when I saw the dog, my SO looked at me with a confused face lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #79 on: November 15, 2023, 09:29:34 AM »
I think the first week performance and review bombing will doom the movie to ultimately be seen as an underperformer. 
These are two different things though. As we talked about a bit....the review bombing is one thing. In todays day and age a very small contingent of folks can do a lot of damage online. So, the reviews are to be taken with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean that 'every' bad review is a review bomb though or some sinister agenda against the MCU.

But people not showing up to the movie is a whole different deal. Marvel is having to sleep in the bed they've made over the past few years of giving the fanbase a substandard product. The 'fans' are onto it and are speaking by not showing up.

You, and a handful of faithful fans may have enjoyed it and again...that's cool....but for a lot of folks....Marvel just isn't compelling any longer. They're just another entity that went all 'emperor's new clothes' and started believing they could do no wrong and IMO strayed a bit too far into some preachyness with a touch of social activism....and a chunk of the fan base abandoned them for it.   
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #80 on: November 15, 2023, 10:16:49 AM »
I don't think you are wrong in any of that.  And I don't think it contradicts anything I wrote either.  It's just a matter of emphasis in different places and a matter of degree.  We'll never really know how much any one thing impacts the other.  My main point in the above though is just to say that, regardless of the reason we are where we are, it's a shame that some won't give this movie a fair shot, because it's really enjoyable. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #81 on: November 15, 2023, 11:20:41 AM »
I don't think you are wrong in any of that.  And I don't think it contradicts anything I wrote either.  It's just a matter of emphasis in different places and a matter of degree.  We'll never really know how much any one thing impacts the other.  My main point in the above though is just to say that, regardless of the reason we are where we are, it's a shame that some won't give this movie a fair shot, because it's really enjoyable.
[/b]
That it is. And back to our conversation a page or so ago....I WISH I felt compelled to go to the theater to see it.....but I know I'll be able to watch it....AND enjoy it.....in about three or four months from the comfort of my couch, surround sound and snacks that won't cost me four tanks of gas.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #82 on: November 15, 2023, 11:29:10 AM »
Yeah, I hear you.  That's a big factor in us rarely going to the theater these days.  But what helps is going to the cheap theater on the other side of town and hitting it during matinee hours so it's only $6.75 per person.  Honestly, 5 minutes into the previews, I have totally forgotten that the seats are slightly less comfortable and the screen might be slightly lower res, and am immersed in enjoying whatever I'm watching on a screen and sound system that dwarfs ours at home.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2023, 08:47:39 AM »
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2023, 12:55:16 PM »
Before I saw the movie, I had low expectations. The trailers didn't do much for me. I love Ms. Marvel even if the show didn't live up to the potential, and I liked Captain Marvel to a degree. That said, doing a movie that is a sequel to a movie a lot of people didn't like and two shows a lot of people didn't watch likely won't lead to a great turnout.

Also before I saw the movie I watched a non-spoiler review from a critic I trust who said it was everything wrong with the current MCU and said the movie wasn't even good enough to release to theatres. So obviously I was expecting an awful, awful movie.

Instead what I got was an awful, awful script with great performances by some of the actors (looking at you Iman), some really great action scenes (especially that first fight) and some humor that actually worked. Script was terrible, and it missed more opportunities than I can count, but I ended up largely having fun. Probably because I expected a pure disaster and because Iman carries everything she does (all two things). I liked Brie Larson in this but at times it felt like she wasn't thrilled to be there and kind of wanted out.

But man, these scripts to a lot of these current MCU movies are truly awful. I have no idea how they're getting approved.

Also didn't get a ton out of the post credits scene.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2023, 01:38:53 PM »

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2023, 04:04:12 PM »
Before I saw the movie, I had low expectations. The trailers didn't do much for me. I love Ms. Marvel even if the show didn't live up to the potential, and I liked Captain Marvel to a degree. That said, doing a movie that is a sequel to a movie a lot of people didn't like and two shows a lot of people didn't watch likely won't lead to a great turnout.

Also before I saw the movie I watched a non-spoiler review from a critic I trust who said it was everything wrong with the current MCU and said the movie wasn't even good enough to release to theatres. So obviously I was expecting an awful, awful movie.

Instead what I got was an awful, awful script with great performances by some of the actors (looking at you Iman), some really great action scenes (especially that first fight) and some humor that actually worked. Script was terrible, and it missed more opportunities than I can count, but I ended up largely having fun. Probably because I expected a pure disaster and because Iman carries everything she does (all two things). I liked Brie Larson in this but at times it felt like she wasn't thrilled to be there and kind of wanted out.

But man, these scripts to a lot of these current MCU movies are truly awful. I have no idea how they're getting approved.

Dumb fun sums this one up!

Oh and good to see you posting again, hope you are doing well.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2023, 01:28:34 PM »
Finally saw this. I liked it better than almost everything else post Endgame.  The singing planet was a minute away from losing me, but thankfully they ended that bit quickly. Good performances, decent story, no glaringly horrible VFX like most of the last few movies. A step in the right direction for the MCU for sure. I think the biggest negative is a common MCU one: a weak villain with one dimensional motivation .

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' - The Marvels - Now Out On Home Video & Disney+ (SPOILERS!)
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2024, 01:00:42 PM »
I got my Walmart exclusive Blu-Ray in the other day! The outside art is really nice, and the inside features the Flerkittens, which are pretty cute.

Haven't had a chance to dive into the discs yet, but it's odd to me that Walmart decided to shift to steelbooks for their exclusives, which now do not match my previous four MCU Walmart exclusives, which all came with small pins (Love & Thunder, Wakanda Forever, Quantumania, and GOTG Vol. 3). I guess Target definitely isn't doing anymore exclusives for MCU BD sets, which is sad because I enjoyed their exclusives.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2024, 03:08:36 PM »

Wife and I watched last night and that’s the first thing she said, terrible writing. It’s a trend. The greatest actors in the world couldn’t save some of those lines/scenes. Larson phoning it in. A distant planet where everyone sings in perfect American English along with its idioms and colloquialisms. Yee haw.