Author Topic: Marvel Studios' - The Marvels - SPOILERS  (Read 4588 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Marvel Studios' - The Marvels - OUT TODAY
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2023, 06:11:36 PM »
Awesome, I figured Iman would steal the show, she's such a tremendous light, it's hard to imagine any scene she wouldn't dominate.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2023, 06:26:50 PM »
Certainly. I would like to mention that I was not a fan of Ms Marvel (the serie as a whole), but I have to admit that her character in this movie was outstanding and impressive.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2023, 07:58:01 AM »
Seen several critic reviews that are complaining about these 2 other women just getting dropped out of nowhere with powers. C'mon. Literally just saw a critic on TV and he had no idea who Monica or Kamala were. Said they were introduced out of nowhere.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2023, 08:01:37 AM »
I listen to an NPR podcast called Pop Culture Happy Hour where a group of critics review various things every week.  They all liked this movie a lot, even though one or two of them hadn't seen the TV shows. 

Looking forward to seeing this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2023, 11:12:40 AM »
Good simple fun. 
If I was comparing it to other phase 4/5 films this feels on a par with Multiverse of Madness (which I like more than most) and Shang Chi.  No spoilers till more have seen it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2023, 11:42:10 AM »
Seen several critic reviews that are complaining about these 2 other women just getting dropped out of nowhere with powers. C'mon. Literally just saw a critic on TV and he had no idea who Monica or Kamala were. Said they were introduced out of nowhere.

Pundits pulling opinions out of their asses without all the information....who'd of thunk it...

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2023, 11:43:26 AM »
Will just wait for this one to hit D+. Reading some reviews of sources I generally mesh with doesn't really hype this one up for me....in fact they provided some dialogue from the movie that just keeps underscoring the lack of good writing that IMO the MCU is suffering from on all fronts.....movies and tv shows.

For me....the average MCU fan....there has been nothing Marvel has released or provided to this point to get me to invest the effort to get out to a theater and spend the $$$ or dedicate the time to it. I feel no investment or connection to any of the characters in the movie based off of what we've gotten. Again....that's just ME and my view. I can see a lot of you liked it and/or pumped about it and I am genuinely happy for you all. But this entire 4th phase or whatever it's called has been a huge swing and miss in my eyes....at least to this point....which has me content to wait the 6 or 7 months it'll take to see this movie on D+
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline jammindude

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2023, 11:52:07 AM »
Good simple fun. 
If I was comparing it to other phase 4/5 films this feels on a par with Multiverse of Madness (which I like more than most) and Shang Chi.  No spoilers till more have seen it.

Holy crap! If soupy is lukewarm on it, it must be amazing!!!  :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2023, 01:29:57 PM »
Good simple fun. 

Holy crap! If soupy is lukewarm on it, it must be amazing!!!  :rollin :rollin

Well I have generally been one of the biggest defenders of phase 4 onwards on here, the only ones I didn't enjoy too much were Eternals, She Hulk and Secret Invasion - but I'm hardly alone in that!!  The Marvel's isn't up with the very best of that era (Spidey 3 and Guardians 3) but it's in the next group, 7.5 outta 10 better than lukewarm I'd say.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2023, 01:48:12 PM »
I chide you a bit, but I meant no offense. The fact that you do like it does make more excited to see it.  I thought the Eternals was underwhelming and Love and Thunder was a mess…but I love the rest of the films so far.   I just know you tend to be a bit more picky than me, so if you liked it it’s probably a good bet that I will really enjoy it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2023, 02:16:53 PM »
The Eternals reminded me of going to one of those Italian joints where they feed you massive plates of sub-par pasta.

Love and Thunder was akin to a teethy blow job, it had to be finished once started, but was really annoying throughout.

Gonna catch the Marvels tonight, pretty stoked.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2023, 03:32:29 PM »
I am going to watch it when it hits streaming. Glad some are enjoying it but damn is the word of mouth bad here.

For me the worst MCU films thus far were Black Widow and Dr Strange 2. Haven't seen Ant Man 2.

And if I am honest I am not feeling the MCU at all right now. Some good standalone films/series post Endgame but most of it almost DCEU level (which tanked) and not an exciting central plot/buildup.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2023, 09:07:19 PM »
Overall a fun film... nothing earth shattering but fun. Some seriously cringe moments.... (Memoriieees....) but it was fairly streamlined and well executed. Good balance of humor and action, and all three principal actors worked very well with each other.

And damn, Larson was fucking ripped for this one, her abs were cut as fuck.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2023, 11:00:48 PM »
***no spoilers***

I.  Loved.  This.  Film.

Yes, there were moments where I was asked to suspend belief too far.  Yes, there were moments where the writing was a bit weak.  But this movie gave me what I want when I come to the MCU.  And it is not only one of the few post-phase 3 movies that actually made me feel something, it may actually be #1 in that department.  And it had me smiling from ear to ear through a significant part of its run time. 

Captain Marvel was way at the bottom of phases 1-3 for me.  Didn't like the movie.  Didn't like the character.  And didn't like Larson's wooden acting either.  Her appearance in Endgame didn't do much for me in that regard.  Completely different story here.  The character was written so much better and was so much more likeable.  She should have been sympathetic in the first film, given all she had to struggle through.  But I just didn't care.  Here, I not only cared, but I felt for her, and I liked her.  And I already loved Monica and Kamala. 

Nitpicks/things I didn't like (still spoiler free):  (1)  As mentioned, the way some things were written, I feel like the script asked the viewer to suspend belief a little too far on too many occasions.  In the first three phases, even though we are dealing with super heroes, and all-powerful magic space stones, space travel, and eventually even time travel, it was always just grounded enough that I rarely had too much trouble just playing along and pretending it's all real for 2 hours at a time.  That is getting harder and harder in the MCU.  (2)  As also mentioned, there were some writing flaws.  For instance, there were times where there would be an emotional moment that I'm totally buying into, and it is well acted, and I'm immersed...and then it gets resolved too quickly or too conveniently rather than taking the time to breathe and pay off properly.  I think the shorter run time actually slightly hurt the film in a couple of spots in this regard, although overall, the shorter run time really helped the film not feel too bloated.  It's just that there were a few moments that really could have used a bit more time and care in how they were handled.  (3)  Again, I love how the character of Captain Marvel was handled in this film.  But the biggest problem with Captain Marvel is Captain Marvel.  And what I mean by that is that she is too overpowered.  And why that is a problem is because, since it is repeatedly shown that she can do anything, she should be able to do anything.  But she can't.  And there's no explanation for how she can rip a gigantic warship apart in seconds without blinking, but then struggles against much lesser challenges for no reason other than the script needs her to.  I'm not going to harp on this too much because I think it's just the nature of the beast with this kind of character.  But I mention it because it bears mentioning. 

But again, I loved this film, so I don't want to create the impression that I didn't.  It's just easier to go on and on about things that didn't work as well.  I may catch this one in theaters again next week.  I know this one won't hit for everybody, but it certainly did for me. 

***A FEW SPOILERY NOTES BELOW***

***AGAIN, SPOILERS COMING***

Some more random thoughts:

I doubt this will have staying power for me, but when the film abruptly turned into a Disney Princess movie for a few minutes, that was far and away my favorite part of the movie.  I could not stop laughing and had to wipe away the tears repeatedly. 

The mid-credits scene didn't get me the way I'm sure it got most people.  One of the major problems with the multiverse for me, from a storytelling standpoint, is that suddenly everything is canon and nothing is canon.  You can basically say anything you want, and incorporate any story or character(s) you want, and none of it really has any stakes because it can all be waved away or get a "do-over" in another reality any time.  And the CGI on Hank was not great.  And...even though I was a huge X-Men/mutants fan as a teenager, I just don't care about the X-Men anymore.  Too many bad movies for me to care or want them as part of the MCU.  So it really did nothing for me in that respect.  ON THE OTHER HAND, Teyonah Parris knocked it out of the park with her acting during this scene.

Muneeba calling Fury "Nicolas"...  :rollin

Oh, and the scene at the Rambeau home at the end...that was confusing.  Was Carol moving in?  What was going on?  That wasn't really clear.  I asked my daughter afterward because I thought it was just me, but she said it was confusing to her too.

On the suspension of belief issue:  Um...that's not how suns work.  It's just not.  In fact, the whole thing about Hala dying was just a mess.  I mean, I really, REALLY liked the main idea of Carol taking out the Supreme Intelligence and that unintentionally resulting in Hala getting really messed up.  But the plot was broken the way they did it.  This bugged me more than anything else.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 11:12:42 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2023, 06:17:39 AM »
Yeah, the re-igniting of the sun was a stretch, and the moving into the Rambeau house seemed a failed attempt to illicit emotion for me. On the post credit scene...I want them to bring a new generation of X-men in, not keep bringing back old X-men for brief seconds to get a rise.

One thing I was surprised by was how thin attendance was, I was at a 5pm Friday night showing and almost half the theater was empty. I can't remember a time an opening weekend showing of a MCU film wasn't sold out. Numbers for this one are gonna be thin I feel.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2023, 07:51:52 AM »
One thing I was surprised by was how thin attendance was, I was at a 5pm Friday night showing and almost half the theater was empty. I can't remember a time an opening weekend showing of a MCU film wasn't sold out. Numbers for this one are gonna be thin I feel.

On a personal level I think a combination of Endgame feeling like a good final chapter, combined with lackluster movies following that, as well as the abundance of tv shows has just resulted in a perfect storm of lack of interest. There was a time I would buy a ticket for any upcoming MCU movie because I was fully into the world and was excited to see where we would go next. Aside from No Way Home and Guardians 3 I feel the output post Endgame has been very weak however. I lost interest in the tv shows a long time ago and I feel watching them would be a waste of time compared to any enjoyment I would get out of them. However I still feel surprised by how genuinely disinterested I am in The Marvels. Not only am I skipping it in the cinema, I don't even think I would watch it on streaming even if I had nothing else to do.

While this is just my own personal feelings I do notice among other people that something similar has happened for them. I'm sure you will find diehard fans who thinks movies like Thor 4 or Ant Man 3 were fantastic films but I have experienced a lot more negativity towards the MCU both online and in person post Endgame. The amount of tv shows isn't really helping either because it feels like a chore and a full time job to stay up to date, and it didn't use to be like that.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2023, 08:08:36 AM »

On a personal level I think a combination of Endgame feeling like a good final chapter, combined with lackluster movies following that, as well as the abundance of tv shows has just resulted in a perfect storm of lack of interest. There was a time I would buy a ticket for any upcoming MCU movie because I was fully into the world and was excited to see where we would go next. Aside from No Way Home and Guardians 3 I feel the output post Endgame has been very weak however. I lost interest in the tv shows a long time ago and I feel watching them would be a waste of time compared to any enjoyment I would get out of them. However I still feel surprised by how genuinely disinterested I am in The Marvels. Not only am I skipping it in the cinema, I don't even think I would watch it on streaming even if I had nothing else to do.

While this is just my own personal feelings I do notice among other people that something similar has happened for them. I'm sure you will find diehard fans who thinks movies like Thor 4 or Ant Man 3 were fantastic films but I have experienced a lot more negativity towards the MCU both online and in person post Endgame. The amount of tv shows isn't really helping either because it feels like a chore and a full time job to stay up to date, and it didn't use to be like that.

I'd hardly consider 3 movies and 3-6-episode tv shows a year a 'chore and full time job'... :lol , that's barely a day's worth of total material. If you don't enjoy where it's going, fine, that's your tastes, but there's zero issues with the amount of content being put out as far as I can see.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2023, 08:43:54 AM »
Totally with you, lonestar. I remember the days before Disney+ when folks would binge-watch whole series in a day or two. Now, some people complain there's too much to watch. Sure, it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but as a big MCU fan, I'm stoked about all the content, even if some of it isn't quite what I expected (yeah, I'm looking at you, Thor 4, SheHulk, and Ms Marvel). For me, it's like checking out a new restaurant. Will I dig their food? No idea, gotta try it first. Might like it, might not, but that's not gonna stop me from exploring new stuff whenever I can.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Keeper of the Seven Sloths
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2023, 08:53:44 AM »
My interest in this movie is nonexistent, but I'll catch it when it hits Disney+.
It seems a lot of people might feel the same way...

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

Lowest opening weekend gross for an MCU movie. Wow.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2023, 08:55:06 AM »
The more the merrier for me, just like it used to be with the comics. I can understand however a bit of watcher fatigue among general population, and I suspect - even among the comics aficionados - the "let's see how they pull this character/storyline off" factor is resonating with diminished returns.

Of course, launching a full fledged X-Men saga could change momentum, and drive me completely bonkers. 

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2023, 09:02:25 AM »
The more the merrier for me, just like it used to be with the comics. I can understand however a bit of watcher fatigue among general population, and I suspect - even among the comics aficionados - the "let's see how they pull this character/storyline off" factor is resonating with diminished returns.

Of course, launching a full fledged X-Men saga could change momentum, and drive me completely bonkers.

They're heading their, just not sure if it'll be quick enough. I fear that after the multiverse saga will be the mutant saga, which means we got a few years at least.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2023, 09:06:09 AM »

I'd hardly consider 3 movies and 3-6-episode tv shows a year a 'chore and full time job'... :lol , that's barely a day's worth of total material. If you don't enjoy where it's going, fine, that's your tastes, but there's zero issues with the amount of content being put out as far as I can see.

Different people have different amount of free time and people also have different hobbies. Some people will have no problem binging, there's also other people who only care about these sorts of shows and they will have no problems staying up to date even if there's a new Disney+ show every month. I can only speak for myself but I definitely struggle to balance all my interests in a week and even when it comes to movies and TV, there's just been so much of this stuff in the last decade and a lot of it is 3/5 "yeah its fine" level quality, in the case of the MCU it feels like the only upside to watching is to get a tidbit or cameo of how it ties into the rest of the universe.

I used to watch a lot of this stuff because I felt I had to but once spare time became more sparse and spare time I could dedicate to tv watching became even more sparse, it wasn't a tough choice if I had to pick between an MCU show that "might be OK" just to stay updated, OR watching a show I had heard genuinely good things about. :)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2023, 09:29:40 AM »

Different people have different amount of free time and people also have different hobbies. Some people will have no problem binging, there's also other people who only care about these sorts of shows and they will have no problems staying up to date even if there's a new Disney+ show every month. I can only speak for myself but I definitely struggle to balance all my interests in a week and even when it comes to movies and TV, there's just been so much of this stuff in the last decade and a lot of it is 3/5 "yeah its fine" level quality, in the case of the MCU it feels like the only upside to watching is to get a tidbit or cameo of how it ties into the rest of the universe.

I used to watch a lot of this stuff because I felt I had to but once spare time became more sparse and spare time I could dedicate to tv watching became even more sparse, it wasn't a tough choice if I had to pick between an MCU show that "might be OK" just to stay updated, OR watching a show I had heard genuinely good things about. :)

Of course only talking for myself. But the bolded part is just enough for me. And as mentioned before, I might like it or I might not, but that don't deprived me for tasting new things

Offline jammindude

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2023, 11:29:15 AM »
I think that COVID, streaming platforms, and higher ticket prices are combining to create a situation where people are going out to the movies with more rarity.

I think the MCU has had a couple of duds, but so did phase 2. So I don’t really think the overall quality of the films is going down per se as much as there will be natural ebbs and flows to an overall story that’s this big.  The Barbie/Oppenheimer thing felt like “an event” so a bunch of people came to see.  The MCU movies are still good, but it’s really just The Avenger movie that are the “event” movies. People weren’t packing theaters to see Dark World either.  And I’m general (with the Barbie/Opp thing being an obvious exception) people are just going to the movies less.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2023, 12:24:50 PM »

Yeah, kinda sad.  There were six people in the theater when we saw it.  Six.  And half of that number was us.  I mean, it was nice to have the run of the place and be assured of great seats.  But it's also cool when you get that crowd energy too, and that was missing.

On a personal level I think a combination of Endgame feeling like a good final chapter, combined with lackluster movies following that, as well as the abundance of tv shows has just resulted in a perfect storm of lack of interest. 

Yeah, I think that observation is mostly correct overall.

There was a time I would buy a ticket for any upcoming MCU movie because I was fully into the world and was excited to see where we would go next. Aside from No Way Home and Guardians 3 I feel the output post Endgame has been very weak however.

I mostly agree, but would put this movie up there with the two you mention.  And I would put Black Widow and Shang Chi up there as the next tier of "pretty good/solid" movies.

Well, yes and no.  In isolation, I tend to agree with you.  But as Zantera pointed out, it feels like more than that when we all have a LOT other things competing for our attention.  A lot.  And I think a lot of people feel like MCU content is less special, less of an event, because it is so much more prevalent now than during the first three phases.  And if people feel that way, then that's ultimately what matters when it comes to whether people are willing to sacrifice their time to consume and enjoy the MCU "product," whether those feelings are "fair" or not.  And to me, there is another important facet to the quantity issue:  as has been observed, there is an actual and/or perceived drop in quality that goes hand-in-hand with the quantity.  Of course, that has a lot of factors and a lot of reasons.  But a big part of that is that there are lots of inconsistencies between Marvel properties, whether they are little factual inconsistencies, character arcs that don't feel earned because of other things that are already established about characters that make some other portrayals of the character feel inconsistent, etc.  The ONLY way that particular issue can be resolved is tighter quality control at the top with Feige himself or a dedicated team more closely overseeing every single script to make sure character and story beats are consistent.  That's hard to do, because to get good directors, they have to feel like they have a certain level of creative freedom, and that needs to be balanced.  But it feels like the MCU machine has just gotten too big and some of those real world issues have gotten in the way a bit too much to have that kind of oversight and quality control, despite that it is badly needed.  I've seen it mentioned a lot elsewhere through the years, and expressed a lot of different ways, to the point that I can't help but feel that it is a very real hurdle for Marvel, and I'm have serious doubts about their ability and desire to overcome that hurdle.

But all that said, back to this film, if what we get going forward is at this level, I will be a very happy, mostly satisfied, Marvel fan.  Despite some flaws, this film so knocked it out of the park for me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2023, 01:51:18 PM »
On another final note (dont want to derail the thread from the movie talk) I do think even setting aside the MCU itself, we get a lot more things in abundance than 5-10 years ago. Star Wars is another property that people have mixed feelings on these days - also partly because of a burst of new movies (some beloved, others not so much) as well as a multitude of tv-shows. There's more tv-shows than ever and with films, franchises in general are strong and getting spinoffs. If you're a nerd with limited time it's very easy to drown in content.  :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2023, 01:56:57 PM »
This movie was much better than I expected. Is not an A+ movie, but I would give it a solid B or B+. Some piece of the plot did not work well for me, but overall an enjoyable film. Will rewatch again once it hits Disney+
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2023, 02:00:14 PM »
On another final note (dont want to derail the thread from the movie talk) I do think even setting aside the MCU itself, we get a lot more things in abundance than 5-10 years ago. Star Wars is another property that people have mixed feelings on these days - also partly because of a burst of new movies (some beloved, others not so much) as well as a multitude of tv-shows. There's more tv-shows than ever and with films, franchises in general are strong and getting spinoffs. If you're a nerd with limited time it's very easy to drown in content.  :lol

Fortunately I'm a single nerd with no young kids vying for my time. :biggrin:

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2023, 07:24:18 PM »
Just finishing up and still in the theater.  I loved this movie!!! I hope it gets the support it deserves!! More thoughts later

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2023, 08:39:58 PM »
I caught a showing earlier today and after letting my thoughts sit with me for a out 7 hours, I've concluded that it's one of the better post-Endgame films. I definitely like it more than Captain Marvel 2019, and a lot of that is because of Kamala/Iman, she really stole the show for me.

The weakest points of the film were Dar-Benn and her plot, but I can see that more as a vehicle/excuse to get the Marvels together, and those moments are where the film shined, seeing them work together, like any good team-up. It also feels like they really cut out parts of the 2nd and 3rd acts, especially on Aladna. I think there were reshoots to change or tighten up portions of the film.

And as for spoilers, I'm really glad I wasn't totally spoiled on the cameos at the end and in the mid-credits scene. Those were great set-ups and probably some of the more hype credits scenes from an MCU film we've gotten in awhile.

I'm saddened that this film will probably have a weak opening weekend and be review-bombed because I thought it was highly enjoyable and just good fun. It's not a super-cerebral thought-provoking piece of art, but really just a comic book team-up come to life, and as comic fans know, the stories don't always make sense or stay coherent, but the action makes it for good entertainment.

Now we just have one MCU film next year, July's Deadpool 3 - the first time since 2012's Avengers where we only get one MCU film in a single calendar year.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2023, 09:09:46 PM »
the first time since 2012's Avengers where we only get one MCU film in a single calendar year.

I'm counting it as zero films.  No interest whatsoever in seeing it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2023, 10:16:25 AM »
I'm saddened that this film will probably have a weak opening weekend and be review-bombed

The review bombing can be debated as genuine or not as in this day and age it's pretty 'simple' for a small group of folks to organize and implement an attack/bad reviews etc against really anything. As I've mentioned, I have a small group of reviewers/critics I like because they generally are in step with my tastes, and they were pretty rough on this movie. I'll still watch it eventually after it's on D+ but Marvel did nothing to compel me....the average MCU 'fan'....to leave my house and go watch this in the theater.

But, there's no real way  or excuse for 'them' to defend people not going to see the movie. People simply didn't go see it. Last number I saw was that it brought in $47 million dollars......lowest opening ever for the Marvel franchise. It's estimated that it'd need to bring in $750-800 million to break even. I don't see that happening....at least not in the foreseeable future. It could take years for them to approach those types of numbers. The folks heading up this Marvel franchise probably need to take a deep look at how they've handled everything post AVENGER storyline and be honest with themselves and get back to telling good stories and ignoring the focus groups and stop social agendas. That fall from the glory days was fast and brutal.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2023, 10:27:03 AM »
Yeah, I think the bad reviews and lack of attendance falls into 3 groups:  (1) the trolls who would slam it no matter what; (2) those who are still MCU fans that legitimately didn't like it if they saw it or have been dissatisfied with past related content (Captain Marvel or Miss Marvel, and maybe that small minority out there somewhere they didn't like WandaVision); and (3) those who have lost interest in the MCU.  I can't really fault groups 2 and 3.  If that's where we are, that's where they are.  But I can't help but wonder what the numbers are in each of those groups. 

And another contributing "problem" from Marvel's/Disney's perspective is how D+ has been operating.  I get that they felt the need to change up their entertainment model during the pandemic.  Honestly, Disney and other streaming services were a bright spot for many during that time.  But as hard as it might have been, and despite market pressure, they probably should have put their foot down once it was "over" (and I'm not interested in arguing about specifically when that might have been) and just said they were going to firmly go back to NOT having content go from theater to D+ for a longer time, like the pre-pandemic days.  I think it's far too easy if anyone is on the fence for whatever reason to just say, "Eh, I want to see it, but I'm busy, so I'll just wait until it is on D+ in a month or two."  I think that's hurting them, and I think it's going to show up bigger for movies like that where more people are "predisposed" to be on the fence. 

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel Studios' - The Marvels - SPOILERS
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2023, 10:31:52 AM »
Let's discuss the movie openly now.

Those who haven't seen it, scroll past this point with precaution

*****SPOILERS*****
*******ARE********
***NOW ALLOWED***

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2023, 10:33:57 AM »
"Eh, I want to see it, but I'm busy, so I'll just wait until it is on D+ in a month or two."  I think that's hurting them, and I think it's going to show up bigger for movies like that where more people are "predisposed" to be on the fence.

Yep.....because this is 100% me and where I'm at these days.  Why would I take my family of 5 to go see this and drop $80 on tickets then another $30-40 at concession stand when I can wait two or three months to see it for 'free' in my own home?

We only hit the theaters for movies that you just 'have' to see on the big screen....this unfortunately for them....wasn't one of them.