Author Topic: Succession (HBO - Season 4/final season discussion - SPOILERS)  (Read 3020 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Succession (HBO - Season 4/final season discussion - SPOILERS)
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2023, 09:16:01 PM »
I have no idea what this show is about, but chiming in to say I worked at a company that managed retreat/reception facilities in college, and the amount of catered food I saw tossed was astounding. The plus side was that I never bought groceries because I was surrounded by food. The downside is that when I quit after a few years, I was up about 30-40 pounds. 6 months after leaving I dropped at least 20 as I had to go back to eating like a normal person. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2023, 06:14:18 PM »
Just chiming in as to unsold bagels:  I arranged for a local 'Loaves & Fishes' to get them at a local bagel store two days a week.  Rules don't allow them to store overnight, so pickups had to be arranged for a ten minute window at the end of the day. Eventually we could not guarantee pick ups, so we took our name off the list for those specific days. Same with Einstein Bagels for a high school food pantry I co chaired for a couple of years.  That was pre pandemic.  It's just not as easy as it seems.

Getting back to the show, this was a good one of the HBO Fans Fbook page  :tup :lol

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online faizoff

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2023, 10:06:55 PM »
Good God, if words could kill this episode would be like the red wedding episode.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Realm

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2023, 04:11:43 PM »
Brilliant episode, just so much packed into it and a ton of amazing dialogue. The Shiv vs Tom scene was epic.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2023, 04:36:07 PM »
Brilliant episode, just so much packed into it and a ton of amazing dialogue. The Shiv vs Tom scene was epic.

Yeah, that scene was unbelievable. I think what I really appreciate about this one, it's how that type of shit would go down in real life. A lot of TV arguments have purpose or direction, but we all know in real life, they devolve into who can hurt who more, and that's exactly how this one went. And the acting, damn man, just amazing.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2023, 05:13:14 PM »
For a split second after the Tom v Shiv scene, I thought Tom was going to jump.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline The Realm

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2023, 05:25:43 PM »

Yeah, that scene was unbelievable. I think what I really appreciate about this one, it's how that type of shit would go down in real life. A lot of TV arguments have purpose or direction, but we all know in real life, they devolve into who can hurt who more, and that's exactly how this one went. And the acting, damn man, just amazing.

Yes, just brilliant acting. If anyone listens to the official HBO podcast on the show, this week Matthew Macfadyen (who plays Tom) is a guest and just hearing him talk normally and be himself just shows how amazing he is at playing this role.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2023, 05:31:58 PM »
Yeah, Matthew Macfadyen does an awesome job.  It's an extremely well acted show across the board, yet he still stands out. That's how good he is.

And yeah, that Shiv/Tom scene was awesome.  Her careless delivery of the "I don't even like you" line was so cold.  And it may come back to bite her, as Tom knows she is/was working with Mattson against her brothers, and I suspect he will find a work to work that to his advantage.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2023, 07:04:55 PM »
Yeah, Matthew Macfadyen does an awesome job.  It's an extremely well acted show across the board, yet he still stands out. That's how good he is.

And yeah, that Shiv/Tom scene was awesome.  Her careless delivery of the "I don't even like you" line was so cold.  And it may come back to bite her, as Tom knows she is/was working with Mattson against her brothers, and I suspect he will find a work to work that to his advantage.

Her delivery of that line gave me traumatic flashbacks to the brutal arguments with my ex before our divorce over 20 years ago,that's how good she delivered it  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2023, 10:28:43 AM »
Well that was a brilliant shit show. So how long till Shiv throws Ken under the bus with the whole 'you killed someone' bit?

Offline nick_z

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2023, 11:40:37 AM »
Well that was a brilliant shit show. So how long till Shiv throws Ken under the bus with the whole 'you killed someone' bit?

Yep, gotta think that's bound to happen, given the direction things are going...

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2023, 12:35:31 PM »

Yep, gotta think that's bound to happen, given the direction things are going...

they can't just let that one go without serious consequences.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2023, 01:20:56 PM »
Obvious best comedic bit of the episode is Greg arguing "it's medicinal...it's not too lemon-y!" in the wasabi scene  :biggrin:

I was starting to wonder why they were not-so-subtly showing him eating the sushi at the table in a couple of shots...and sure enough...

Online faizoff

« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2023, 01:28:47 PM »
Phenomenal episode last night and every previous night before this entire season. Rewatching this season will be a joy. Another two left and the siblings are showing cracks. Tom and Shiv have such great scenes together, I like that little touch Tom does when Shiv says she's pregnant by glancing at her belly for a second.

Greg and his shenanigans still remain highly amusing.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2023, 01:37:30 PM »
Phenomenal episode last night and every previous night before this entire season. Rewatching this season will be a joy. Another two left and the siblings are showing cracks. Tom and Shiv have such great scenes together, I like that little touch Tom does when Shiv says she's pregnant by glancing at her belly for a second.

Talk about payback for the 'I don't even like you' line...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2023, 07:33:22 PM »
I almost felt bad for Shiv.  Almost.  She was flailing for much of that episode, and the way Roman was mocking her after she was busted when she was literally about to lose it was brutal.  In the first few seasons, Tom would have given in and accepted her apology and blindly gone along with her, but it's clear any feelings he had for here are pretty much gone now.  Even when she apologized at the start of the convo, he was like, "sure," and kept looking down at his phone like her apology meant nothing to him, and then threw at her that she helped kill Logan followed by questioning whether her pregnancy reveal was real or not. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2023, 08:05:45 PM »
The latest episode was pretty brutal, it kind of felt a bit like a horror story. Roman was so all in one-way, Shiv the other and then Kendall had some serious doubts. Connor had a great cameo and Greg as always provided some comic relief but the overall undercurrent was very scary seeing the influence of the media play out like that.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2023, 09:32:42 AM »
I read some comments about last week's episode in regards to feeling 'PTSD' throughout.  That sums up how the wife and I felt.  Not sure if we're going to rewatch before tonight's episode. 

This series could do a whole other season just to do a full in depth recap of all the resulting 'sh*t storms' that could/would come from the (mis)deeds of Year 4.

The wife and I went to see 'A Doll's House' on Broadway this week, partially because Arian Moayed ('Stewy') was the male lead.  Here he's getting ready to sign Mrs. DA's playbill

with lead Jessica Chastain

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2023, 06:04:27 AM »
It seems unlikely that next week's series finale will be totally satisfying given where everything is at the moment, but it should be interesting.  It is setting up as Ken vs Shiv duking it out to see who wins and gets ATM, but I suspect it won't be that simple. Roman has shown himself to be way in over his head in many ways now and is merely a sideshow.

Online faizoff

« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2023, 06:24:14 AM »
Another stellar episode in a long list of stellar episodes this season. Some of the subreddit for Succession is set on thinking Greg is the darkhorse in all of this, I'm not sure the show goes in that direction. And if it does it will be done in the flow of the show. Either way, Roman's breakdown was very intriguing and how it loses him power and pull is going to be interesting.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2023, 04:17:07 PM »
I'm really not sure at this point how Greg can really be a major factor in this. It isn't that kind of show to have some major twist just happen. As Kev said above, it looks like a battle between Kendall and Shiv and we will most likely see Ken's dark secret and the death of the waiter being made public to try and discredit him. It was great to see Colin back and Kendall trying to get him onside as he knows all the secrets.

Roman has been exposed as very damaged and immature, which he is. It is ok to break down and cry at a funeral but not that funeral and at that moment. He fully exposed himself as weak and he knows it. I can't see him coming back at all from here.

Star of the episode was the mansoleum Logan purchased at auction for 'only' $5m and Connor also being willing to be laid to rest there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2023, 05:04:52 PM »
I still don't think we will hear about Ken's involvement in the waiter's death (even though Shiv knows about it, she doesn't know the details).

What cannot be ignored is that Matsson doesn't seem to really like Shiv, so I could see him using her to get what he wants and then reneging on any promise to make her the American figurehead boss.  Maybe he will give it to Greg and make him his puppet. :lol :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2023, 05:36:39 PM »
I still don't think we will hear about Ken's involvement in the waiter's death (even though Shiv knows about it, she doesn't know the details).

What cannot be ignored is that Matsson doesn't seem to really like Shiv, so I could see him using her to get what he wants and then reneging on any promise to make her the American figurehead boss.  Maybe he will give it to Greg and make him his puppet. :lol :lol

I don't see any reason for Colin to come back into the show unless it is going to come out.

In terms of Matsson shafting Shiv I do think there is a very good chance of that happening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2023, 07:44:33 PM »
Wow, what an episode, the acting of the 3 siblings is so top notch.

Roman's done...between his breakdown at the funeral and then trying to take on libs at the end, I'm shocked he only got one elbow to the face. It is between Ken and Shiv. I honestly don't think they got enough time in one episode to drop the 'ken killed a guy' card and have that play out to his discrediting in a fashion the show is capable of, it could only be a rush job at this point. Really not sure where they're gonna hang this one tbh...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: May 28, 2023, 09:25:44 PM »
Good ending. 

I can't say I am surprised that Shiv flipped on Ken, who ends the series a totally broken man with all the money he will never need and no real relationships of any kind with family or friends. 

Shiv will still be able to work with Tom enough to have power under the new regime and make sure their offspring is set up years down the line.

I still found it amazing how much everyone working against each other was so open to blabbing about what they were doing to anybody and everybody.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2023, 09:52:46 PM »
Great episode, it was exhausting!

As predicted, Ken killing a kid came out from Shiv but didn't play out as I expected it to, however it was still the key piece in bringing Ken down in the end.

I wasn't expecting it to be Tom but it actually did make sense in the end, was pretty sure it wasn't going to Greg as that would have been a bridge too far.

Online faizoff

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2023, 10:20:05 PM »
Fantastic episode to cap an amazing series. So many thoughts, that siblings' scene in the kitchen was my favorite of the episode.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2023, 10:41:46 PM »
Brilliant finish... Will probably watch it again tomorrow to take it in, it was quite a maelstrom and I was a bit tired and couldn't keep up, but so well done.

And yeah, the Meal fit for a King bit was amazing.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2023, 10:43:02 PM »
Yeah, just so much to take in on one viewing, will watch again for sure.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2023, 11:05:08 PM »
Yeah, just so much to take in on one viewing, will watch again for sure.

Thanks for saying this...I was feeling like I was getting old and couldn't keep up with a tv show  :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2023, 05:27:54 AM »
Great episode, it was exhausting!

As predicted, Ken killing a kid came out from Shiv but didn't play out as I expected it to, however it was still the key piece in bringing Ken down in the end.

I wasn't expecting it to be Tom but it actually did make sense in the end, was pretty sure it wasn't going to Greg as that would have been a bridge too far.

I don't think Shiv was changing her mind at that point, but once Ken lied and said he made up that story, it was a done deal.  I'll have to re-watch it to see if I missed some of the chatter, but I almost think Roman would have changed his vote right then and there had he had the opportunity.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2023, 07:25:34 AM »
Caught up with the whole series in time for the finale last night. Kendall screaming "I'm the eldest boy" futilely in the conference room with Shiv and Roman feels like the most appropriate climax this show could offer. Masterful job last night (as always) from the actors playing all three of the siblings.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2023, 10:55:16 AM »
Yep, it was a great finale...nothing shocking for the sake of being shocking and, in a way, the only logical way this particular story could end...

I also liked that Kendall's "secret" was brought up by Shiv not in some unrealistic last-ditch substantive way to block him, but more as an added element of "you seriously can't think you should be the CEO of the company" (on top of the more general "you just wouldn't be good at it")

For sure one of my favorite shows in the last few years. My wife and I will likely to a re-watch of the whole thing in the near future