Author Topic: Succession (HBO - Season 4/final season discussion - SPOILERS)  (Read 3101 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Feels like we needed a proper thread so those of us watching in real time can discuss it without giving spoilers to those in the big TV thread who maybe aren't caught up yet or still plan to watch.

My hunch is the series ends with Logan's death, but there will be no real winners.  The kids are always all getting in each other's way, so it is hard to see any of them having a truly good ending, but as this is not a feel-good show, a happy/good ending wouldn't feel right anyway.

Online faizoff

Re: Succession (HBO - Season 4/final season discussion - SPOILERS)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 02:45:04 PM »
With the decision they wanted to end the show coming during post production, I'm not sure it will end with Logan's death seeing as the cast were expecting to be back for another season. I rewatched the whole show recently and I somehow missed during the ending of season 3 that Tom was the central character setting up the betrayal.

Also bringing up some of the discussion from the other TV thread here

Yeah, perhaps there are legal reasons to not explicitly acknowledge the Murdoch family, but it sure is easy to draw comparisons.
Regarding this point about Succession, I was recently reading a fascinating book that’s the oral history of HBO and they spoke on this point. Years ago the original premise was based more solely on the Murdochs but one of the things that helped advance the show actually getting made was the showrunner’s realization that he should make The Roys a pastiche of many media/wealthy families, not just the Murdochs.

Even so, they were still worried as the pilot was being shot (not about being sued) but that it was was too Murdoch and Brit-centric for American audiences to “get it.” Then they said that while filming the baseball game scene in the pilot, some of the extras were overheard to be saying things like “oh this rich family is like the Trumps or The Kennedys” — and that’s when they knew that they were hitting their mark of transcending just the Murdochs.

Thinking of it I guess it makes sense, but they also do specifically borrow real life incidents from the Murdoch family hence the comparison. But I get it that by and large it's meant to portray that wealth.

No, I agree with you… and the book said as well that the original script treatment was essentially the Murdochs — but that they realized they could go beyond that and include lots of media/celebrity family references. I have no doubt a ton of Murdoch stuff is in the show as it stands. In fact, they were worried it might still be too Murdoch-centric — but audiences looked at the show, and considering its timing when it debuted, saw other families like the Trumps too.

Also this scene from season 1 always makes me laugh esp Tom.

https://youtu.be/JDCZiDDj4NA?t=64
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 09:07:37 PM »
Tonight's episode...woah.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2023, 09:47:15 PM »
Right? Talk about the shit is about to hit the fan.

They did an excellent job on that episode though, really solid television all around.

Online faizoff

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2023, 10:20:33 PM »
WTF Goddamn was I so wrong. Excellent amazing episode.

HBO and wedding episodes. Man.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 10:49:11 PM by faizoff »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2023, 05:57:58 AM »
I love this happening so early in the last season, because now we will see a race to the finish as everyone starts making moves to try and grab as much power and control as they can.  Should be fascinating to see how this plays out.

Online faizoff

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2023, 06:43:10 AM »
Yeah did not see that coming and very surprised how early in the season it was done. In fact.... spoiler below

Brian Cox doesn't have any dialog after the theme song. All his scenes are done before the song begins.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 07:36:41 AM »
So my mom was in the middle of S3 the last time I talked to her a few days ago. I get home from my meeting last night around 7:30 and go to watch it. I literally hit play and recieve a text from her saying "Just finished the episode where Logan Roy dies.  Didn't realize we were in the 4th season."

I'm all... "Mom... I haven't watched it yet..."

Online faizoff

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 07:38:34 AM »
Oh damn, that sucks.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 07:42:31 AM »
 :lol

It's the little things that make my mother so endearing  :heart

Offline Harmony

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 08:57:18 AM »
Last night's episode was a master class in acting.  Having gone through a similar incident with my sister (minus the plane and the yacht) not too long ago, it was difficult to watch.  But the siblings hit all the right notes of disbelief and desperation.  Up until this episode I was fairly lukewarm to the new season.  I'm fully in now, that's for fucking sure.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2023, 09:59:34 AM »
Last night's episode was a master class in acting.  Having gone through a similar incident with my sister (minus the plane and the yacht) not too long ago, it was difficult to watch.  But the siblings hit all the right notes of disbelief and desperation.  Up until this episode I was fairly lukewarm to the new season.  I'm fully in now, that's for fucking sure.

That moment when Shiv went from her authoritative 'dad' to a young girl pleading for 'daddy' fucking crushed me. So well done.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2023, 05:46:11 PM »
Damn, I can't stop thinking about that episode.  I really want to watch it again.  And I never do that.  I just feel like I was in sort of a state of shock while watching it and so I missed some bits.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 11:01:27 PM »
Awesome episode and just a brilliant show. From about half way through season 1 I have absolutely loved this show. Can't wait to see what happens now as that was very unexpected, of course it was coming at some stage but the timing was a surprise.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »
What a difference from binge watching to catch up, as opposed to week by week.   :tup   Gave us the opportunity to watch it a second time and read plenty of reviews.  About how the phone call was close to one continuously filmed scene, other comments about Tom, Shiv's hair, their outfits, Connor, the 'Greglettes' etc.

Rewatching also gave us chances to pause, absorb, and discuss all the nuances of that show.

A 'Ned Stark' episode.  Geez, weddings on HBO sure don't go well for the participants :lol
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2023, 11:50:10 AM »
What a difference from binge watching to catch up, as opposed to week by week.   :tup   Gave us the opportunity to watch it a second time and read plenty of reviews.  About how the phone call was close to one continuously filmed scene, other comments about Tom, Shiv's hair, their outfits, Connor, the 'Greglettes' etc.

Rewatching also gave us chances to pause, absorb, and discuss all the nuances of that show.

A 'Ned Stark' episode.  Geez, weddings on HBO sure don't go well for the participants :lol

Even tom/Shiv's wedding, and mom's wedding were shit shows.   :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2023, 03:24:18 PM »
They said the scene with the siblings on the phone with Tom was originally supposed to be just the siblings on screen for 90% of it to where we mostly would have just heard Tom's voice on the phone or speaker, but Matthew Macfadyen did such a brilliant performance with his part that they ended up showing a lot more of him and the others on the plane that had been planned.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2023, 08:04:43 AM »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2023, 09:03:51 AM »
 :heart

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
They said the scene with the siblings on the phone with Tom was originally supposed to be just the siblings on screen for 90% of it to where we mostly would have just heard Tom's voice on the phone or speaker, but Matthew Macfadyen did such a brilliant performance with his part that they ended up showing a lot more of him and the others on the plane that had been planned.

Man, I can't get enough of him (Matthew Macfadyen) on this show. The importance of the Tom-Greg chemistry really can't be overstated. There are plenty of other great comic moments involving neither of them, but I think the balance would be way off without those two.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online faizoff

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2023, 11:50:25 PM »
Fantastic follow up and now we get to see how the power struggle ensues.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 05:57:17 AM »
I suspect Ken will become the killer his dad was by the end of the series, making it a true "like father, like son" succession.  Burning the old man now that he is gone is totally something Logan would have done. That's a good start. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 04:35:37 PM »
Well I am betting the very large 'skeleton in Ken's closet' will come out to bite him at some point. Is going to be really interesting to see what happens from here.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2023, 06:17:37 AM »
Tom and Shiv picking at each other last night was a riot, and I love the power plan she is devising behind the back of her brothers.  Shiv is gonna emerge from all this as THE power player.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2023, 07:24:54 AM »
Well I am betting the very large 'skeleton in Ken's closet' will come out to bite him at some point. Is going to be really interesting to see what happens from here.

Who all knows about that aside from his siblings?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2023, 01:49:32 PM »

The dude in the jeans—what's his name? The guard. I think he knows. Not that I expect him to do anything with that information.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2023, 04:33:26 PM »

The dude in the jeans—what's his name? The guard. I think he knows. Not that I expect him to do anything with that information.

Yeah Colin (the bodyguard) knows. However, the siblings will most likely turn on each other so will see what happens. Shiv was making her own powerplay in the latest episode as Kev mentioned while the CEO-Bros fell apart. I think Shiv would use anything she could to get to the top and she is loaded up with ammo - even aware of Maddson sending his frozen blood to an employee.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2023, 08:53:35 AM »
Man, I just cringe so hard when Ken goes into his manic modes... He's just so damn awkward. Mad props to the actor for just nailing that vibe.

I figure the serious this will hit the fan in EP8, with two episodes for cleanup. They're definitely getting all the pieces in place. The whole shit-canning of Gerry was a stroke of genius, she probably has the most dirt on everyone.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2023, 05:16:30 PM »
I hope Gerry takes Roman down hard.  He deserves it. 

Offline The Realm

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2023, 06:10:41 PM »
How awesome were 'the clouds'. That was hilarious, and as much as I love Barry, this was the funniest overall moment of both of those shows latest episodes.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2023, 10:48:09 AM »
So if anyone was curious about my current culinary gig, if you notice in this show how every time there's any sort of a meeting or event there's always food, that's what I do. From small continental breakfasts to high end events, all for a very prestigious law firm in Silicon valley.

And about 75% of the food goes uneaten.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2023, 09:12:02 AM »
So if anyone was curious about my current culinary gig, if you notice in this show how every time there's any sort of a meeting or event there's always food, that's what I do. From small continental breakfasts to high end events, all for a very prestigious law firm in Silicon valley.

It's funny that you mentioned this.  These last few episodes I really noticed all that food in the background and thought to myself, "I bet nobody ever eats that shit."  Except for....was it Hugo filling his plate in Norway?   :D

So what do you do with that food waste?  Can you donate it or do you have to dump it?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2023, 09:50:45 AM »

It's funny that you mentioned this.  These last few episodes I really noticed all that food in the background and thought to myself, "I bet nobody ever eats that shit."  Except for....was it Hugo filling his plate in Norway?   :D

So what do you do with that food waste?  Can you donate it or do you have to dump it?

We have to dump it, after it sits out in the temperature danger zone for a few hours, it's too unsafe to donate. Plus my account is too small to really have leftovers. My company also handles one of the Facebook campuses, and they donate shit tons of food to local food banks daily. Their overage is just insane.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2023, 01:12:55 PM »

We have to dump it, after it sits out in the temperature danger zone for a few hours, it's too unsafe to donate. Plus my account is too small to really have leftovers. My company also handles one of the Facebook campuses, and they donate shit tons of food to local food banks daily. Their overage is just insane.

Food waste is such a huge problem.  Even on a personal level, with everything being so expensive now especially, I try very hard not to waste food.  I do understand that certain types of food cannot be donated but certainly things like bagels and crackers and some fruits could be.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2023, 03:52:42 PM »

Food waste is such a huge problem.  Even on a personal level, with everything being so expensive now especially, I try very hard not to waste food.  I do understand that certain types of food cannot be donated but certainly things like bagels and crackers and some fruits could be.

Stuff like that gets put into the service kitchen, and then they send out an all staff email and the support staff come and devour it like wolves.

They love their free food. :lol