Author Topic: Great moments in songs you consider merely good/solid  (Read 1103 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Great moments in songs you consider merely good/solid
« on: April 06, 2023, 06:21:25 AM »
I am sure we all have those songs that we don't consider a standout, but there might be a line or a riff or a solo where you think, "Damn, I wish the rest of the song was as great as that!"  That is what I am talking about.

My first pick, and the one that made me think to do this thread, is The Man Who Would Be King by Iron Maiden. The section from 4:00-5:00 with all three guitarists doing something different is wild and crazy and totally awesome, but the rest of the song is I what I would call pretty solid at best.

Offline Dream Team

Re: Great moments in songs you consider merely good/solid
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2023, 06:31:34 AM »
Great choice there. First one I'm thinking of is the first part of the instrumental section right after the 2nd chorus of Untethered Angel. Bland, forgettable song but that section totally rocks.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 06:37:53 AM »
Still of the Night by Whitesnake

3:18-4:15 (Don't really care for the solo itself)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2023, 06:40:35 AM »
The instrumental section of DT's Constant Motion.  I like that section a lot, but I hate the rest of the song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 06:42:13 AM »
The end of Octavarium, it's good but it's not even nearly as great as people say it is.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 07:17:47 AM »
AWESOME topic. I predict no less than ten entries from me here over the next couple days/weeks.

First up:   Def Leppard:  Pour Some Sugar On Me.    Good tune, not one I need to hear all that often, but the way Joe sings the second half of the second verse, especially the one line in bold:

"You gotta squeeze a little, squeeze a little, tease a little more
Easy operator come a knockin' on my door
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet
Little miss innocent sugar me, yeah, yeah"

Makes the entire song, IMO.

Online HOF

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2023, 07:25:10 AM »
AWESOME topic. I predict no less than ten entries from me here over the next couple days/weeks.

First up:   Def Leppard:  Pour Some Sugar On Me.    Good tune, not one I need to hear all that often, but the way Joe sings the second half of the second verse, especially the one line in bold:

My Def Leppard example would be from Let’s Get Rocked, the “All I wanna do is take a ride into the blue” section. Love that part. Song is otherwise pretty corny (but I’ve always liked it).

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2023, 07:37:23 AM »
Shock Me by Baroness

Man, this song really isn't anything special, however, I could listen to the bit from 3:22 - 3:48  over and over. It is just glorious! It's so short lived at 26 seconds but damn.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2023, 08:14:35 AM »
The instrumental section of DT's Constant Motion.  I like that section a lot, but I hate the rest of the song.

Great pick. The main riff and the guitar solo are both money, but the rest of the song...yeah, no thanks.

Ya know, as much as I would love to never hear that song again, that part of the second verse is definitely very good.  That part, at least, has held up well.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2023, 10:02:13 AM »
Rush - Neurotica.

The bridge before the solo with the word (Snap!)  I love that section.  The chorus on this song is so poor. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2023, 10:22:45 AM »
Rush's "synth era" is replete with stuff just made for this.

The Body Electric:  The ending section starting with the final "replays each of the days" is MUCH stronger than the rest of the song.

Grand Designs:  The guitar solo through the end is better than the rest of the song deserves.

Emotion Detector:  The chorus and guitar solo are the best things - BY MILES - on side 2 of Power Windows.

Time Stand Still:  The instrumental section in 7/4 starting at 3:13 and the "Summers going fast" section starting at 4:14 has some of Neil's best lyrics from that era.

Lock and Key:  The outro from 4:25 to the end is way stronger than the rest of the song.

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2023, 10:52:00 AM »
The first song that comes to mind is Dream Theater - Take Away My Pain. The whole song ist *good*. But that guitar solo at 3:32 is just fantastic.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2023, 12:11:52 PM »
Rush's "synth era" is replete with stuff just made for this.

The Body Electric:  The ending section starting with the final "replays each of the days" is MUCH stronger than the rest of the song.

Grand Designs:  The guitar solo through the end is better than the rest of the song deserves.

Emotion Detector:  The chorus and guitar solo are the best things - BY MILES - on side 2 of Power Windows.

Time Stand Still:  The instrumental section in 7/4 starting at 3:13 and the "Summers going fast" section starting at 4:14 has some of Neil's best lyrics from that era.

Lock and Key:  The outro from 4:25 to the end is way stronger than the rest of the song.

I like these moments, but differ in that I consider these songs better than "merely good/solid."
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2023, 12:19:55 PM »
Great choice there. First one I'm thinking of is the first part of the instrumental section right after the 2nd chorus of Untethered Angel. Bland, forgettable song but that section totally rocks.

I was thinking about the section at the end.  I wouldn't consider the main part of the song "bland," but it isn't necessarily a DT standout to me either.  But THAT section is one of the first things I noticed that made me pay attention to the song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online faizoff

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 12:26:24 PM »
Agree with the Hef about Constant Motion, additionally Never enough is a song I don't care about at all but that instrumental bridge kicks serious ass.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online HOF

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2023, 11:24:08 AM »
Light Fuse and Get Away is really a mess aside from the instrumental section/keyboard/guitar solos, but those are just tremendous.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2023, 11:49:36 AM »
Dream Theater have a bunch of these. The chorus of A Rite of Passage is wonderful. The rest of the song is merely good. Similarly, the chorus of Build Me Up, Break Me Down is head and shoulders above the rest of the song. The unison section of Ministry of Lost Souls is brilliant, the rest of the song just decent. The "Expecting everyone to bow and kiss your feet" section of Honor Thy Father is a fantastic moment in an otherwise 'only good' song. Plenty more that'll come to me.

Offline DTA

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2023, 01:18:26 PM »
Maybe cheating a bit to call it merely a section since it’s been a standalone piece ever since the tour finished but the Leaves of Green section is by far the best part of The Ancient.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2023, 02:49:08 PM »
Maybe cheating a bit to call it merely a section since it’s been a standalone piece ever since the tour finished but the Leaves of Green section is by far the best part of The Ancient.

Ooohhh, great call!  There are elements I like from the first 3/4 of The Ancient, but it is a bit of a mess.  The final section (Leaves of Green) is definitely pretty damn great, however.