Author Topic: Your Favorite Version of Every DT Song  (Read 2982 times)

Offline Dream Team

Your Favorite Version of Every DT Song
« on: April 04, 2023, 09:38:46 AM »
As we know Dream Theater is not a band to shy away from playing almost their entire catalog live at one time or another. Most of their albums (especially the older ones) have been well-represented on tour. In some cases it may be that the studio version of a song is the definitive version, but for many others there is a live version I prefer whether it's only audio available on streaming or a DVD/video version.

I thought it might be fun to go through the albums one at a time and talk about our favorite performances of each song (again, studio version is perfectly acceptable as a choice). I'll begin with When Dream and Day Unite which will likely have far fewer commentators than the albums to follow but oh well . . .

A Fortune in Lies: a great opening metal song and for me the obvious choice for audio version is on Live at the Marquee. James in great form, killer production values. For a video performance, I think the one at Live at Luna Park is outstanding. Mangini's one-handed rolls are impressive of course but I also love the lighting and camera angles they got for that DVD. Beats out the versions on When Dream and Day Re-Unite and Live in Santiago.

Status Seeker: for a few of these tunes, When Dream & Day Re-Unite is the only alternative to the studio version. Probably a toss-up as to which I prefer.

Ytse Jam: some of the performances of this cool instrumental feature a drum solo, like on Once in a LiveTime/Five Years in a LiveTime and Live in Tokyo. If you're not in a hurry the OIaLT one is fun to listen too. I'll take either that one or the straightforward WDaDRU version but for video I gotta give the nod to the Live in Tokyo version just for the youthful exhuberance and MP's crazy hair and outfit.

The Killing Hand: now HERE is where we really get a song that is enhanced tremendously live. Again the Marquee version is killer and tough to beat for audio, but if James is a little too over-the-top for you on that one, a different arrangement of the song is on WDaDRU which is my favorite because of that awesome added melodic section at the end of the instrumental part. Of course you can watch the version where James falls down mid-verse on the Live in Bucharest bootleg.  :lol

Light Fuse & Get Away: album version is best, James struggles on this song

Afterlife: very easy choice, version on Score is killer

The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun: WDaDRU version narrowly over the album version

Only a Matter of Time: we have two great live performances of this song, and I'll take the Budokan performance for sound quality but I prefer the video of WDaDRU. Album version is great too because Charlie doesn't struggle vocally on it like James does.

I'll run through Images & Words in a few days after everyone's had a chance to comment if they wish.

Offline pg1067

Re: Your Favorite Version of Every DT Song
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:01:15 AM »
For WDADU, it's the album version, except for TKH, which is the Marquee version.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 10:38:07 AM »
TKH - the version on Live at the Marquee with Another Hand
OAMOT - Live at Budokan

All others - When Dream And Day Reunite
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 10:45:23 AM »
For The Killing Hand, my favorite is the the Old Bridge '96 version, available on the Japanese Hollow Years single and the Official Bootleg of that show.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2023, 02:48:29 PM »
AFIL & TKH - LATM
Afterlife - Score
OAMOT - I guess L@B with JLB (don't really like the song much anyway)
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2023, 10:12:24 PM »
Um... whatever version James sings on? I don't listen to songs from this album on any release. Afterlife on Score is pretty solid though.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 10:07:56 AM »

A Fortune in Lies: Live at Luna Park
Status Seaker: WDADR
YTSEJAM: Live at Luna Park
The Killing Hand: Live at the Marquee (holy cow!)
Light Fuse and Get Away: WDADU
Afterlife: Score
TOWHTSTS: WDADR
Only a Matter of Time: WDADU

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 10:15:06 AM »
Um... whatever version James sings on? I don't listen to songs from this album on any release. Afterlife on Score is pretty solid though.

Same.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 03:35:50 PM »
A Fortune in Lies: a great opening metal song and for me the obvious choice for audio version is on Live at the Marquee. James in great form, killer production values. For a video performance, I think the one at Live at Luna Park is outstanding. Mangini's one-handed rolls are impressive of course but I also love the lighting and camera angles they got for that DVD. Beats out the versions on When Dream and Day Re-Unite and Live in Santiago.

I had forgotten about those later versions, since I haven't listened to Luna Park or Santiago in a long time.  But I seem to recall liking them both. 

Status Seeker: for a few of these tunes, When Dream & Day Re-Unite is the only alternative to the studio version. Probably a toss-up as to which I prefer.

I like the WDADR version.  A lot.

Ytse Jam: some of the performances of this cool instrumental feature a drum solo, like on Once in a LiveTime/Five Years in a LiveTime and Live in Tokyo. If you're not in a hurry the OIaLT one is fun to listen too. I'll take either that one or the straightforward WDaDRU version but for video I gotta give the nod to the Live in Tokyo version just for the youthful exhuberance and MP's crazy hair and outfit.

Hmm...I just don't really care about this song much.  Don't have a preference.

The Killing Hand: now HERE is where we really get a song that is enhanced tremendously live. Again the Marquee version is killer and tough to beat for audio, but if James is a little too over-the-top for you on that one, a different arrangement of the song is on WDaDRU which is my favorite because of that awesome added melodic section at the end of the instrumental part. Of course you can watch the version where James falls down mid-verse on the Live in Bucharest bootleg.  :lol

Easily LATM.  James crushes it.

Light Fuse & Get Away: album version is best, James struggles on this song

I like the WDADR version.  A lot.  I know James struggles a bit, but I don't care.  Even with that, it's my second favorite song on the album because of the performance here.

Afterlife: very easy choice, version on Score is killer

I wouldn't say "killer," but it takes a bad song and makes it passable, so I'll take it.

The Ones Who Help to Set the Sun: WDaDRU version narrowly over the album version

I don't care for any version of this song.

Only a Matter of Time: we have two great live performances of this song, and I'll take the Budokan performance for sound quality but I prefer the video of WDaDRU. Album version is great too because Charlie doesn't struggle vocally on it like James does.

Yeah, L@B was a great performance of this song.  I really like it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2023, 04:03:06 PM »
A Fortune In Lies- Live At The Marquee

YtseJam-Studio Version

Status Seeker-Studio Version

The Killing Hand-Live At The Marquee

Light Fuse And Get Away

The Ones Who Helped To Set The Sun-Berklee 10-24-94

Afterlife-Score

Only A Matter Of Time- I love the spirit of the Fall '92 versions, but LaB works for this. LA '04 is pretty awesome too.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2023, 05:06:11 PM »
A Fortune In Lies - Live in Tokyo; I just love hearing the bass pedals in that version!

Status Seeker - definitely the version they played during the summer of 93 where they got rid of the wonky intro

YtseJam - OiaL; love the "fasten your seatbelts" section and also Derek doing the main melody in a classical piano style

The Killing Hand - in the end, I'll go with the WDaDR version, even tho I really love the "Another Hand" intro played at most other shows

Light Fuse And Get Away - a super rarely played gem that's my fave on the album; toss up between the original and WDaDR

Afterlife - my least favorite on the album; I guess I'd go with the Terry Brown remix of the studio version

The Ones Who Helped To Set The Sun - another favorite of mine, I could go with the original or the WDaDR version

Only A Matter Of Time - the WDaDR and L@B versions are great, but for my money, I like the version played in the fall of 93, when they tacked the instrumental outro of March of the Tyrant on to the end of it
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 08:45:16 AM »
Okay, here we go  . . . Images and Words. By far the album with the most choices available, Pull Me Under and Metropolis probably have about 15 each. Now of course with this album and Awake, it's awfully tough to beat the studio versions for audio quality due to James being at his absolute peak at the time. But we've got a lot of great video versions to choose from. Let's dive in . . .

Pull Me Under - great variety to choose from here, we've got live versions ranging from 1993 to 2017. For James at his best you've got the NY show from 1993 and of course the Marquee version. But for pristine sound quality I'm actually going to go for the version on the Greatest Hits album due to the more natural drum sound. For a video version, again a plethora to choose from. Tokyo, Bucharest, Budokan, Luna Park. I guess I'll go with Luna Park for this one because I just love the way that concert is filmed. Bucharest is damn good though.

Another Day - can't beat the studio version, but there are a couple of live versions that are decent. There are 2 good video options, the official video for MTV and Live in Tokyo. Tokyo wins.

Take the Time - quite a few options here. Again I'll take the Greatest Hits version for sound quality. A lot of of the live versions have extras like the OiaLT one that has the Freebird solo added in but James is not too good there. We've got the 2017 anniversary show at Budokan with the complete outro solo, and the Chaos in Motion show has the extended outro plus Jordan on the keytar (and minus the 2nd verse). But for video I'll again go with the Live in Tokyo show for nostalgia plus again it has the outro solo in full and JP is killing it.

Surrounded - can't beat the studio version but again the Marquee performance is right up there and preferable if you prefer the live energy. I'll go with Luna Park for video version just barely ahead of the Tokyo one.

Metropolis - now here's another song with a ton of great options. I love all of them and really love the 2017 anniversary version with Mangini improvising during the instrumental version and throwing in a drum solo. New York 1993, Marquee, Live Scenes, WDaDRU and the Score with the orchestra are also great. My boring choice is the Atco demo version from the recent Lost Not Forgotten archives release. For video, even though Charlie and James are sub-par I really enjoy the WDaDRU performance with the keyboard battle between Jordan and Derek which narrowly beats out Luna Park.

Under a Glass Moon - the studio version is a Top 5 DT song for me so I really can't pick against it for audio given there are not better re-mixed alternatives but there are certainly some really good live ones to pick from.  Score is easily my favorite video version ahead of Live in Tokyo and the Santiago show.

Wait for Sleep - Live in Tokyo easily beats out Luna Park for video version.

Learning to Live - once again have to go with the studio version here over the 1993 show and the ones with Mangini from 2011 and 2017; and for video version I love the Live Scenes in New York one with the added jam in the instrumental. James is not at this peak but it doesn't detract too badly. There actually aren't a lot of video versions of this song available which is surprising given its popularity.

It gets easier after this because Scenes From a Memory is the only album yet to cover with many listening and viewing options available.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 09:04:30 AM »
For I&W, the only song with a live version that I potentially like better than the studio version is Learning to Live.  About the only thing I don't like about the studio version is the fadeout.  The ending on the 1993 and LSFNY versions is MUCH better.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2023, 09:08:59 AM »
For I&W, the only song with a live version that I potentially like better than the studio version is Learning to Live.  About the only thing I don't like about the studio version is the fadeout.  The ending on the 1993 and LSFNY versions is MUCH better.
The ending for Take the Time from Live in Tokyo is excellent too
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2023, 09:32:32 AM »
Pull Me Under - 2007 Remix.
Another Day    - 2007 Remix.
Take the Time - 2007 Remix.
Surrounded     - Chaos in Motion - I love the Marillion section.
Under a Glass Moon - Score, because I was there.
Wait for Sleep - Images, Words, and Beyond.
Learning to Live - Studio version from Images and Words.

Metropolis Part 1 - Tough! There are SO many good versions of this song, like the jaw dropping Live at the Marquee version, and the killer duet on WDADR. When I first saw DT live, I had only heard Scenes From a Memory and didn't even know a Metropolis Part 1 existed. So when they played it after Scenes, I thought it was an extended ending they made just for the show!

Buy my favorite version of Metropolis Part 1 has to be Score, since I was lucky enough to be in the audience for it.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2023, 09:41:54 AM »
Pull Me Under - NYC 1993, James absolutely kills the "Watch the sparrow falling" section. Rest of the song is pretty much identical to all the other versions so I don't listen to it much.

Another Day - Maybe a strange choice but my favorite version is from Seoul 1999 (https://youtu.be/wtTQNwDOQMU?t=2116), during the first show with Jordan as an official band member. James is clearly struggling throughout the song with voice cracks. But just before the guitar solo, at around 38 minutes, he and Petrucci share a moment where you can see JP just laugh it off with him, basically saying "don't worry about it man". Labrie then goes on to hit a perfect high note for the final "TRY ANOTHER DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY". This little moment really reframed their relationship as well as the brotherly dynamic of the band as a whole for me.

Take the Time - 2007 remix. Can't stand the drums on the original.

Surrounded - Chaos in Motion. I think the Marillion part they added on is brilliant. The 15 minutes just flies by for me.

Metropolis Pt. 1 - LSFNY. The band is on fire and I love the extended improv/instrumental bit they do while James is talking to the crowd before the final vocal section.

Under a Glass Moon - Happy Holidays. Labrie is screaming his ass off.

Wait for Sleep - Studio. Really beautiful atmosphere, the perfect lead-up to LtL.

Learning to Live - LSFNY. I really like how James changes the F# part, the way his voice soars is great. Jordan's (reggae?) solo is great and one of my favorite DT moments is when the band flies back into action after. NYC 1993 is also really good and would probably be my #1 if the sound quality were better. The ending solo duel between JP and KM is amazing.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2023, 09:53:43 AM »
Album versions except for Surrounded from Live at the Marques, and Metropolis either from same release or from Score.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2023, 10:08:45 AM »
Surrounded LATM is the definitive version.  Alternate ending way better than original.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2023, 10:38:26 AM »
Pull Me Under - studio version; no live version has never matched it sonically. I've always been disappointed that JP - with his plethora of effects - cannot better replicate the sound of the opening guitar better. Yes I know in the studio a bunch of layers of guitars were used, but in this day and age, I have to imagine there's a way to replicate it now.

Another Day - gonna go with the way it was done in 2004, where the outro was extended a little bit. In particular, the show in Madrid featured a spontaneous improv jam tacked on to the end which sounded a little like Judas Priest's Living After Midnight, but was not that song.

Take the Time - I like the way it was done in 2002 best, even if JL wasn't the greatest vocally on that tour. Love the way they tacked Working Man and By-Tor on to the end of the track.

Surrounded - my choice is the Chaos in Motion version. Love how they completely changed the vibe of it and just let it flow. Some may argue that it dragged on, but I disagree.

Metropolis - if it's not obvious by now, I'm a sucker for live versions that extend or add sections. The 2004/2009/2010 version is cool with the trading of solos, but for my money, I like the instrumental section they added to the version for the Fix for 96 shows.

Under a Glass Moon - they never really did much different with this version, so I'll go with the album version.

Wait for Sleep - love the way the full band fleshed out the song on the 1992-93 tour, so I'll go with the Live in Tokyo version.

Learning to Live - again, I love the added/extended sections, so the way they performed LtL on the 20th anniversary tour gets my vote.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2023, 11:58:49 AM »
Album versions except for Surrounded from Live at the Marques, and Metropolis either from same release or from Score.
This
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2023, 01:17:59 PM »
I just saw this and will start with WDADU and I'll put I&W in a separate post.

When Dream and Day Unite:

A Fortune In Lies - Live At Luna Park

I just love the way Mangini plays this song, the double bass and the fast snare in the middle adds a lot. JLB is also fantastic on this and I enjoy his little changes he does to some parts. The part that does it for me is the middle section being played how it is on the album, including the samples.

Status Seeker - When Dream and Day Reunite

Not much to say here, only that the song comes across way better live and this is the only other version of this song I have heard and prefer.

Ytsejam - NYC '93 Official Bootleg

I just like how this one came out. This song really showcases their passionate youthful energy and it shows in their live shows around that time. I listened to the version on Live At Luna Park with Mangini, but it loses that energy at the end which is what this song needs.

The Killing Hand - When Dream and Day Reunite

This was an obvious one for me, main reason being it's the only one that really has the original intro which I vastly prefer over the Another Hand intro from Live at The Marquee and the Bucharest version. I do love that extended instrumental section as well because it's a nice progression and it enhances the song a lot for me.

Afterlife - Score

There is no other version that is better for me than this version. I actually heard this version of Afterlife before hearing the studio album. JLB is in top form here, so that has it going for it.

Light Fuse and Get Away - Studio

For some reason, this song works way better with Dominici, it's the only DT song I think fits his vocal style. I would've preferred if they left in the sample for the "I can see where this is going" part of the WDADRU version. I know it's a small, detailed nit-pick but I like how it goes from singing to that sample part, almost like a distant voice the speaker is hearing rather than the speaker actually saying it like it's presented on WDADRU.

The Ones Who Helped to Set The Sun - WDADRU

No other version I have heard that I can compare it too. But, this song comes across way better live, and JLB's vocals do enhance the song for me.

Only A Matter of Time - Live At Budakon

This is the first version I heard, it's my definitive version of this song...so far. It's JLB's vocals and the way they do the build-up outro here that does it for me.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2023, 07:42:41 PM »
Images and Words (I will just say that I wish I had bootlegs of the shows I attended for the 2017 tour, I would consider those the best versions of all of these songs, If it really matters)

Pull Me Under - Warped/Studio

Honestly, I quite enjoy the warped version. I like how they sped up that part of the pre-chorus and gradually slowed the ending. But equally, I like the studio version. There's reasons why this song got them up there, I would also include the triggered drums a part of it's charm and tone.

Another Day - Happy Holidays/LNF Select Board Mixes

I haven't really heard much live versions of this song, but I would put the Happy Holidays/LNF Select Board Mixes version. JLB hits the notes pretty good and the band is up to form. I like JR's piano at the end of this song. I also did enjoy getting to hear this song live, and loved how the band played it, but this song requires those high vocal moments which JLB just can't do anymore.

Take The Time - Live In Tokyo

I prefer this one because JLB can still hit those highs in certain spots. I also do not mind how he altered the high verse melody for the 2017 live shows.

Surrounded - LNF Live At Budakon 2017

I love this song a lot and I was so glad I got to witness it at least once. This tour was amazing and I consider the one I saw in Dallas to be my version I prefer. But for the sake of having a record of it to listen to, I chose the LNF release. I also like how Mangini plays this as well, he does neat things that enhance certain sections of the song, like his use of cymbals in the fast instrumental solo part.

Metropolis Pt.1 - Score

This song really comes to life with an orchestra, it sounds more fuller and creates more of an atmosphere for the scenery.

Under A Glass Moon - Score

I do like the little section Jordan added in this version. What makes this version my favorite is JP's guitar solo, he was in the zone that night even with a cold.

Wait For Sleep - Live in Dallas 2017

I said why not and put this there, I really enjoyed how we got Hourglass right before JR went into Wait for Sleep. Adding that made Wait For Sleep have more of an impact, for me at least, it set the tone quite nicely.

Learning To Live - Live Scenes From New York

Even though it doesn't have the high climatic F# there are things done that I like. The reggae'd section of the instrumental, the added woah's matching JP's guitar solo melody, and the volume swells from JP before JLB comes in with the lyrics.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline OptionalPlayer

• Comprised of a series of ones and zeros
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2023, 09:25:50 AM »
I love Honor Thy Father from the "A Sort of Homecoming" international fanclub CD. There's admittedly some issues with the audio, but I just love the feel the song gives off. I think because it's so underproduced, it's just nice to hear a song so raw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdWONb2LFAo

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2023, 05:26:53 AM »

This, 1000%. The Score versions are everything.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2023, 09:40:40 AM »
I love Honor Thy Father from the "A Sort of Homecoming" international fanclub CD. There's admittedly some issues with the audio, but I just love the feel the song gives off. I think because it's so underproduced, it's just nice to hear a song so raw.

Honor Thy Father, musically, is an awesome song. I have always wanted to hear it live and think it comes off extremely well live.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2023, 12:46:32 PM »

Honor Thy Father, musically, is an awesome song. I have always wanted to hear it live and think it comes off extremely well live.

I agree. It really should have been included on Budokan. Luckily there's some nice soundboards like the Madrid 2004 show that feature it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 01:37:00 PM »

I agree. It really should have been included on Budokan. Luckily there's some nice soundboards like the Madrid 2004 show that feature it.

It's a bonus video on the Score DVD.

Offline HOF

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 04:08:56 PM »
I can confidently say there’s not an alternate version I would prefer over the album version for any song on I&W, though the Live at the Marquee version of Surrounded is pretty cool.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2023, 05:19:06 PM »
I can confidently say there’s not an alternate version I would prefer over the album version for any song on I&W, though the Live at the Marquee version of Surrounded is pretty cool.

For audio, hard to argue. But I’m also trying to gauge everyone’s favorite DVD/video version.

Offline Animal

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2023, 02:07:27 AM »
My favorite versions mostly boil down to to James's singing. I don't care for extended jams and solo sections, there are enough of these in the original versions. So for IW, it studio versions all the way through.

The Killing Hand is the song I tend to seek out most frequently for a live version. With  early 90's James's vocals, it is probably my fave DT song. But there is no perfect version of it. To me, that would be the one with the original album acoustic intro, without Another Hand, but sung the way James did in 1992 (The Marquee version is great but in the earlier bootlegs, James had even more ring to his voice and sounded more relaxed).

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2023, 07:20:46 AM »
Awake will be pretty easy for me to cover - after all, studio versions are challenging to beat. My quick run-down is as follows:

6:00 & Caught in a Web - studio version for audio, Luna Park for video.

Innocence Faded - studio obviously for audio but Score is damn great and pretty much the only good video/DVD version out there.

A Mind Beside Itself - yeah I'm actually gonna go with Live Scenes on this one for the live energy plus the re-worked arrangement of Silent Man

Mirror/Lie/Lifting Shadows/Scarred - I loved these performances on Breaking the Fourth Wall. Also like the extended intro on Scarred from Chaos in Motion. These tunes are fairly well represented in sets over the years, more than the first half of the album. Plenty of good options but it's either studio version or Breaking the Fourth Wall for me always.

Space-Dye Vest - studio version. Probably didn't need the JP guitar solo.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2023, 10:02:49 AM »
I know there have been live versions of all of the Awake songs, but none come to mind, so I'm going with the studio versions.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2023, 10:19:21 AM »
I like the electric version of The Silent Man from LSFNY more than the studio version.

Offline Animal

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2023, 10:26:48 AM »
Awake: the studio versions. It was just not possible for JLB to match this level of vocal intensity live. The possible exception to this rule could be the Breaking The Forth Wall version of Space Dye Vest. I really like this one.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2023, 07:21:41 AM »
Awake: the studio versions.
This would be my answer as well.