Author Topic: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL RESULTS!!!  (Read 46969 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL RESULTS!!!
« Reply #1785 on: July 29, 2023, 07:18:52 AM »
Congrats Rich!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1786 on: July 29, 2023, 08:30:51 AM »
Mad disrespect to one of the best electronic songs out there, the groove is just insane throughout that whole, oh well

Thanks for having me, Crow, it was fun.

Congrats ariich!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1787 on: July 29, 2023, 09:23:32 AM »

This came up on my new releases list this week and technically counts as a roulette album so I figured I might as well check it out and yyyyyep pretty much what I expected. I'm okay with this sound in small doses but an entire album of it is kind of. Exhausting and samey  :lol Did not get all the way through, maybe I shouldn't be listening to it this late at night but this being a miss for me was kind of a foregone conclusion, I feel. Gave it a shot at least  :lol

Not too surprised. I'm liking it a lot, though as you implied earlier there's kind of an upper limit to how good an album like this can be when its whole purpose is to just be a bunch of fun, dumb metal / rock songs. :lol It's definitely better than Bleeder for me, even though there's nothing on it as good as Bridgeburner.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1788 on: July 29, 2023, 09:24:59 AM »
Alright Crow. I thought you might like that song. The singer reminded me of the kid from Fun that you sent me. I hear them on my work Muzak all the time.

I’ll take my 4th place finish and be happy with that.

Congrats Ariich!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1789 on: July 29, 2023, 09:53:55 AM »
Besides, I had to make it look like we weren't in collusion to win each other's roulettes. :neverusethis:

Nah, I score your and Crow's attempt to cover up your collusion a 4/10.   :D

Congrats ariich!

Litho: Scardust – Concrete Cages

Okay, I gotta know… is Patty Gurdy the singer or, like, the uhh, hurdy gurdy player? And if the latter is that actually her name? I could easily google the answer to both these questions but it's funnier to ask here as if I don't already know the answer. I do know the answer. Don’t @ me.

Anyways, uhh, yeah, this is a pretty solid little folk metal tune! Maybe lightly proggy, maybe lightly Nightwish-y, hell, I suspect the latter is the lane this band usually stays in and the folk elements are only here for this song, but they’re. Fine enough elements! It’s kinda cheesy, but, I kinda expect that out of this kind of sound.

The biggest gripe I have here is that this is, like, a pretty good 5-ish minute song that’s just a bit too long for what it is. Pushes a bit too far in the direction of its hook, mostly, it feels kinda repetitive by the end. Though I don’t know that it being a minute or two shorter would vastly improve my opinion on it or anything, ‘cause the style’s also just, not quite my thing, but… I like this fine enough? It’s solid.

So I'm guessing you did figure it out, but for anyone else who might be curious about them, Patty is both the guest co-lead vocalist on the song and also plays the hurdy gurdy on it, just on that track and the opening overture for the album, which features a variation of the main theme of it.  I would actually say their style overall is much more prog metal than anything else.  Some other songs have some harsh vocals, others have somewhat more jazzy elements, but there's no one other song that captures as many different facets as "Concrete Cages".  But check out "Over" and "Under" for more of the harsh and jazzy elements, respectively. 

They're probably closer to Epica than to Nightwish, though neither is a very good comparison, their symphonic elements are much more subtle than them.  I'm kinda perplexed about the length given some of the other music you seem to like and have sent.  I don't think you could really chop more than 20-30 seconds off the ending without it feeling really abrupt and rushed, or take out the section with the vocal oramentations, but I think those are part of what makes the song unique. 

Anyway, I was glad to be part of this.  I genuinely thought I might end near the bottom of the rankings rather than on the border of the top third, so I'm glad that at least a few things somewhat connected.  I think much of our core listening tastes are rather different, though we seem to have a few pockets of loose overlap, and based on RYM ratings certainly a decent amount of prog canon in common. 

I'll send my original EP draft and something else as well as post-roulette music you can check out later on. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1790 on: July 29, 2023, 11:10:34 AM »
I was hoping Others By No One would be just crazy enough to give me the come from behind win in the 11th hour. Especially considering both Ariich and Tomi sent straight up safe prog metal.

Oh well.

oh also i meant to reply to this earlier but your entire roulette was basically TANKED by your round 1 submission, if you had submitted a song on part with your average entry (straight 7.5's, 8's, and even an 8.5 after that!) you would've tied or even passed ariich at the very end.

i still dunno why you sent me that song  :lol

ariich was remarkably consistent all roulette tho, he and Tomi were the only two to never score below a 7
I still blame that round 1 submission on a temporary bout of insanity. Either that or I tried to get myself kicked out by pulling an Absu.
You have a tendency to do that in my roulettes too. Nothing terrible this time but two weaker ones (in that region of I quite enjoyed them despite them not being really my thing) which stopped you overtaking Crow despite your ludicrously good last 3 rounds.
What can I say, I like to take risks once in a while.

In reality the reason I sent the song I did in round 1 here was solely due to the fact that I was really enjoying that album when it came out and I just went with it. In hindsight it was a bad idea.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1791 on: July 29, 2023, 11:13:33 AM »
Thank you Crow for having me on your roulette.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1792 on: July 29, 2023, 12:00:37 PM »

Hmm, so I was prepared for this but, yeah, a lot of the rest of this album isn't really much like Someone Great, it's a lot more dance-punk in sound which has never been my thing  :lol And I don't feel the length on that song in particular but boy howdy are the songs on this long. 9 songs, 56 minutes, c'mon man  :lol I like all of this, sure, it sounds... nice, but I'm not really interested in the vast majority of it, oh well.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1793 on: July 29, 2023, 01:29:48 PM »

generally do not go for short EPs like this and this def feels a bit... short  :lol but the sound is about as cool as I expected. i do find it funny this is obviously meant to be, like, sexy music for having sex to or something which, if i weren't ace i don't think heady, weird prog rock/metal is what i'd choose for that, but the tunes themselves are cool and catchy and basically what i expected a whole album of this to sound like. i just, wish there was an album proper :lol not sure i'll come back to this mostly bcuz of the length but it was a fun listen!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1794 on: July 29, 2023, 01:31:12 PM »
I feel like there's been a ton of EPs this year.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1795 on: July 29, 2023, 02:42:13 PM »

Hmm, so I was prepared for this but, yeah, a lot of the rest of this album isn't really much like Someone Great, it's a lot more dance-punk in sound which has never been my thing  :lol And I don't feel the length on that song in particular but boy howdy are the songs on this long. 9 songs, 56 minutes, c'mon man  :lol I like all of this, sure, it sounds... nice, but I'm not really interested in the vast majority of it, oh well.
I prefer the next album This is Happening tbh.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1796 on: July 29, 2023, 03:49:28 PM »

Yeah, like I figured, in terms of modern prog metal this is pretty colorful and interesting, honestly. Vocals already make it stand out but there's a lotta different sounds here and while it never really gets all that heavy, it gets heavy just enough to keep this dynamic the whole way through, it's pretty cool even if it doesn't wow me. I also get the sense that there's some concept or story here I'll need to dig into when I look at the lyrics properly, hah.

i am basically just arbitrarily checking out these albums in no particular order other than "what am i currently in the mood for" btw, but i do have a decently long list here  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1797 on: July 29, 2023, 04:32:56 PM »
Definitely a concept going...basic story is the fox and the bird are on a journey to collect totems from the other animals that'll save their forest from a drought, and on their journey have many troubles and adventures.

Casey's vocal performance is definitely the stand out for the album, she's so amazing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1798 on: July 29, 2023, 05:42:21 PM »
Lots of praise going around for this album, guess it's time to give it a listen.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1799 on: July 29, 2023, 05:44:25 PM »
It's a nice album for sure!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1800 on: July 30, 2023, 04:27:27 AM »
Congrats ariich!
Too bad I didn't win but I don't even know how I even came that close :lol
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1801 on: July 30, 2023, 05:45:53 PM »

(Atropas - Black Gold)

needed something lower stakes/less worth paying attention to to put on in the background and yup yeah this is pretty solid kinda heavy prog metal. the first track is obviously where they put most of their effort into it's a lot grander than the endless stream of 3-4 minute songs following it and i don't like when albums are structured that way to begin with, the music is all rock-solid i suppose but nothing really stands out  :lol didn't quite make it to the end but i don't feel like i missed much

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1802 on: July 30, 2023, 07:04:03 PM »

(SOHN - Tremors)

This was... fine. Another one I put on as a lower stakes listen since I didn't love love it and it's very. One of the albums of all time! All the songs are basically like that. Nice, kinda neat production choices, nothing that really stands out or leaves much of an impact but it's pleasant enough so, eh?! Not much else to say really.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1803 on: July 31, 2023, 05:56:38 AM »
Thank you for hosting Crow  :metal

And congrats Ariich
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1804 on: August 01, 2023, 03:02:18 AM »

needed a late night mood and figured this would fit. i've actually listened to this before and i know avalanche and dress rehearsal rag decently well even before this roulette so like, i'm just gonna absorb this one over time i imagine? :lol anyways this is very much a me thing and less a knock against the album, which is obviously great, but wow does this not fit with my listening habits. you really have to be prepared to attentively listen to leonard cohen sing for pretty much 44 minutes straight and i am just, not always up for that. but the tunes and the lyrics are excellent, so. definitely for someone, but that someone isn't me. i can handle small doses though, it seems :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1805 on: August 01, 2023, 09:41:32 PM »

(Let's Eat Grandma - I'm All Ears)

It's hard to get an exact grasp on what this album /is/ because it cycles through so many types of indie music (especially pop, but there's like, indie rock & even folk in there too lol). I was a little excited that the first real track was a bit more abrasive/hyperpop-ish than i was expecting but the rest of the album didn't really deliver on that promise, though it was still very enjoyable and surprisingly diverse the whole way through. The two long atmospheric tracks towards the end were maybe a bit toooo long but I enjoyed them both! Definitely one of my favorite finds so far, though, shocking I know right  :lol

Online faizoff

« Reply #1806 on: August 01, 2023, 09:50:49 PM »

I feel the same way about it, Someone Great is the highlight, rest of the album is ok.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1807 on: August 01, 2023, 10:29:07 PM »

this is pretty much what i expected: rock solid post-hardcore that isn't really particularly, unique for the style but does its job fine enough. if i didn't have, like, a billion albums already in this style i'd probably be more into it but it was a fine enough listen as-is, just not one i feel compelled to return to  :lol

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1808 on: August 02, 2023, 07:34:17 AM »
Is this a normal success rate for you? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1809 on: August 02, 2023, 07:57:13 AM »
Roulette final verdict:  failure 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1810 on: August 02, 2023, 11:05:18 AM »
i'm at a point where i'm kinda picky with the stuff i wanna return to or wanna buy because i have SO MUCH ALL THE TIME AAAAA

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1811 on: August 02, 2023, 11:48:25 AM »

okay, this actually has a lot more going on than i remembered  :lol it's not as tech death-y the whole way through, kinda more just prog death with its... interesting production that honestly probably works better than clean, polished production would. doesn't stay as melodic the whole way through but it does at least stay enjoyable and the finale track was also really cool. may be slightly biased towards picking this one up since i need to make an i voidhanger order at some point in the next month or two and their shipping costs are kinda high so i wanna get as much as i can at once  :lol we'll see, at least wanna give it another spin but this was a pleasant surprise

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1812 on: August 02, 2023, 04:13:57 PM »

okay, this actually has a lot more going on than i remembered  :lol it's not as tech death-y the whole way through, kinda more just prog death with its... interesting production that honestly probably works better than clean, polished production would. doesn't stay as melodic the whole way through but it does at least stay enjoyable and the finale track was also really cool. may be slightly biased towards picking this one up since i need to make an i voidhanger order at some point in the next month or two and their shipping costs are kinda high so i wanna get as much as i can at once  :lol we'll see, at least wanna give it another spin but this was a pleasant surprise

Sounded interesting enough to give it a go. I’m enjoying this, but you should’ve put a disclaimer that parts of this is like a death metal Bitches Brew.

Edit: Yea, this is really fucking cool, and a nice short album. Hope you sent them in Lonestar’s jazz round :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 04:33:19 PM by twosuitsluke »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1813 on: August 02, 2023, 05:19:31 PM »

Sounded interesting enough to give it a go. I’m enjoying this, but you should’ve put a disclaimer that parts of this is like a death metal Bitches Brew.

Edit: Yea, this is really fucking cool, and a nice short album. Hope you sent them in Lonestar’s jazz round :neverusethis:

Oof.. I don't know about this one...

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1814 on: August 02, 2023, 05:33:10 PM »

another i've heard before but definitely been meaning to get back to... this thing is too long but the tunes are consistently pretty good, though none quite stand out the way come alive and cold war do (the latter is probably the best on the album ngl). i might check out more of their later stuff too, i've actually never heard electric lady and wanna give it a spin so i can say i've listened to every janelle album at least once  :lol but i'll do that separate from all this

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1815 on: August 02, 2023, 05:44:15 PM »
also decided i'm gonna link to all the album quick listens in the banned during the roulette post as a nifty way to keep track of things. i have no intention of 100% completing every listen on that list just the ones i'm interested in (not a single one of the black metal bands, for example :lol)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1816 on: August 02, 2023, 06:46:05 PM »

another i've heard before but definitely been meaning to get back to... this thing is too long but the tunes are consistently pretty good, though none quite stand out the way come alive and cold war do (the latter is probably the best on the album ngl). i might check out more of their later stuff too, i've actually never heard electric lady and wanna give it a spin so i can say i've listened to every janelle album at least once  :lol but i'll do that separate from all this
For me The Archandroid and Electric Lady are the Janelle sweet spot for me. The later albums do nothing for me.
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1817 on: August 02, 2023, 06:52:48 PM »
i've def heard dirty computer before and thought it was fine, and the new one i spun a few times and it's also fine, archandroid is definitely the best of the three i've heard tho

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1818 on: August 03, 2023, 11:49:43 AM »

like i said, have heard this one before, and like my first impression of the song, it's a bit chaotic and hard to parse but the sound is pretty cool  :lol i do notice that one melody actually pops up a few times across the album, leitmotif, you love to see it. i also like their blend of the screams and clean female (?) vox, they go together pretty well! definitely need to at least give this a fair shot, even if i don't end up loving it, it's really cool, just. impenetrable, too  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1819 on: August 03, 2023, 12:47:53 PM »

keeping up with relistens (i did check this out when it first released!) here's what can really only be described as "modern prog rock if we increased the tempo" like more than the slight poppy and jazzy leanings of this that's how this feels to me. the end result is 50 minutes of music crammed into only 32, which can be a bit overwhelming but the tunes themselves are generally pretty fun! not sure any matched up to The One I Know and i kinda wish this was at least a track or two longer but i def will at least be returning to it