Author Topic: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL RESULTS!!!  (Read 46990 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL ROUND FIRST IMPRESSIONS!
« Reply #1610 on: July 17, 2023, 02:57:14 PM »
Ok so these seem like all the ones it could be and none of them is massively jumping out at me.

2. In terms of prog, this style definitely leans a lot closer to my tastes/sensibilities in the genre, yeah.

3. There's an entire family of bands that sound exactly like these guys that I've equally never been able to really get into despite them all being pretty competent at what they do.

4. Not exactly the kind of sound that's gonna blow my world, but it's at least rock solid enjoyable at the end of the day.

5. This is one of those "heard of but never checked out" acts and jesus christ if this is any indication I should've been on them way sooner, god DAMN.

6. Ooh, this could've so easily veered too far towards sounds I'm unenthused about but it's colorful enough and grandiose enough that, nah, it's pretty rad.

10. See, you get me and the type of prog I tend to love. Theatricality, intensity, a general chaotic energy and a grand scope… hits all the right notes for me.

13. Yeah, again, I got pretty much what I expected out of this one and that doesn't necessarily make it… bad, just, unexciting. Like yup.

15. Honestly it's completely on me that I haven't listened to this band enough to ban them, because they're pretty consistently one of if not my favorite of their contemporaries.

16. Vaguely familiar with this band but I'll admit I was not quite expecting the riffage to be on the level that it is.
As a starting point, I think this song is fantastic so if I'm going optimstic, I'd say either 2 or 10.

But it's possible you might find it too unoriginal in style in which case it could be 3 or 13.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1611 on: July 17, 2023, 02:59:28 PM »
As a starting point, I think this song is fantastic ...

Delusions Of Grandeur is an amazing song. I used to send it in roulettes quite a bit.

I must say that I wouldn't have considered it here, but you'll kill it and I'll suck it so what do I know? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1612 on: July 17, 2023, 03:00:47 PM »

Delusions Of Grandeur is an amazing song. I used to send it in roulettes quite a bit.
I only discovered that album and band because of Chad's top 50 concept albums thread, seen them mentioned a lot but nobody ever sent me any of their stuff! :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1613 on: July 17, 2023, 03:01:45 PM »
8?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1614 on: July 17, 2023, 03:02:15 PM »
Let's start with both extremes first, 5 or 9? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1615 on: July 17, 2023, 03:02:56 PM »

I only discovered that album and band because of Chad's top 50 concept albums thread, seen them mentioned a lot but nobody ever sent me any of their stuff! :lol

I generally like Her Halo, but I think they've changed singers here and there, and I've never heard anything else by them that has got me going. To me, they're just another band in a long line of bands like that. But that song is an all time winner.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1616 on: July 17, 2023, 03:23:11 PM »
2,4,9 or 10?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1617 on: July 17, 2023, 03:41:36 PM »
Well, mine is one of the ones that's clearly about prog metal. :lol

That could be mine too.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1618 on: July 17, 2023, 03:51:51 PM »
Either 5 or 6

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1619 on: July 17, 2023, 06:07:54 PM »
13 or 3
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1620 on: July 17, 2023, 06:11:10 PM »
1?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1621 on: July 17, 2023, 06:39:30 PM »
alright, updated with the correct guesses  :corn

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1622 on: July 17, 2023, 06:58:16 PM »
4 or 6?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1623 on: July 17, 2023, 06:59:01 PM »
no sir

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1624 on: July 17, 2023, 07:01:28 PM »
0-5  :facepalm:

14?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1625 on: July 17, 2023, 07:01:43 PM »
Fuck yeah, looks like I've come full circle! Starting and ending off strong, and sucking in the middle. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1627 on: July 17, 2023, 07:11:23 PM »
I'm 14?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1628 on: July 17, 2023, 07:16:31 PM »
also no  :lol
honestly i thought that one would be super obvious which song it was for but evidently not

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL ROUND HANGMAN!
« Reply #1629 on: July 17, 2023, 07:19:58 PM »
Final Round First Impressions!

Reaper: Knowing who's behind this band… this is firmly not what I expected this to sound like :lol And it's honestly way nicer than I was expecting too!

2. In terms of prog, this style definitely leans a lot closer to my tastes/sensibilities in the genre, yeah.

Ariich: There's an entire family of bands that sound exactly like these guys that I've equally never been able to really get into despite them all being pretty competent at what they do.

4. Not exactly the kind of sound that's gonna blow my world, but it's at least rock solid enjoyable at the end of the day.

Buddy: This is one of those "heard of but never checked out" acts and jesus christ if this is any indication I should've been on them way sooner, god DAMN.

6. Ooh, this could've so easily veered too far towards sounds I'm unenthused about but it's colorful enough and grandiose enough that, nah, it's pretty rad.

Luke: Well, seeing this artist name, I'm not… sure what I expected, but it certainly wasn't this.

HOF: Real chill and pleasant with some solid playing, but I kinda wish it did… more?

King: This reeeeally took its time to get going and then… didn't really impress me once it did.

10. See, you get me and the type of prog I tend to love. Theatricality, intensity, a general chaotic energy and a grand scope… hits all the right notes for me.

11. A bit more colorful, moody, and grandiose than I usually expect from this genre that's decisively not for me… could see it actually working, as a result?

12. It's a bit of a slow burn to a big climax but ironically, I might've liked the buildup more than the payoff.

13. Yeah, again, I got pretty much what I expected out of this one and that doesn't necessarily make it… bad, just, unexciting. Like yup.

14. There is… a time and place, for this genre of music, and that time and place is not "me sitting at my computer trying to give it my full attention."

15. Honestly it's completely on me that I haven't listened to this band enough to ban them, because they're pretty consistently one of if not my favorite of their contemporaries.

16. Vaguely familiar with this band but I'll admit I was not quite expecting the riffage to be on the level that it is.

OK...10 or 11?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1630 on: July 17, 2023, 07:21:42 PM »
also no  :lol
honestly i thought that one would be super obvious which song it was for but evidently not

Justice?

Offline HOF

« Reply #1631 on: July 17, 2023, 07:22:23 PM »
On the subject of wanting a song to “do more,” (it’s a fair comment and one I sort of expected), why can’t a song just be what it is? (And if you consider the subject matter, which I know isn’t fair as part of a roulette, it makes total sense why the song just sort of stays in that zone the whole time). I like lots of stuff that is more involved too, but sometimes it’s better for a song to just hit one good note than try to cram in 2 or 3 more (an example of this is how DT made a mess of Hollow Years on Live at Budokan).

But admittedly, there were some in the band who felt the same way about this track.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1632 on: July 17, 2023, 07:24:58 PM »
On the subject of wanting a song to “do more,” (it’s a fair comment and one I sort of expected), why can’t a song just be what it is? (And if you consider the subject matter, which I know isn’t fair as part of a roulette, it makes total sense why the song just sort of stays in that zone the whole time). I like lots of stuff that is more involved too, but sometimes it’s better for a song to just hit one good note than try to cram in 2 or 3 more (an example of this is how DT made a mess of Hollow Years on Live at Budokan).

Live At Budokan takes a Bottom 20 DT song and turns it into a Top 20 DT song.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1633 on: July 17, 2023, 07:28:25 PM »

Live At Budokan takes a Bottom 20 DT song and turns it into a Top 20 DT song.

Yeah, that's probably one of the worst examples for that argument you could have chose, in my opinion. :rollin

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1634 on: July 17, 2023, 07:29:15 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Tim. Hollow Years live is one of my top DT songs of all time. I can appreciate why some might think it's not in the spirit of the song's original conception, but it does everything right for me.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1635 on: July 17, 2023, 07:31:04 PM »
we have had this exact conversation before  :lol
also TAC is wrong again but buddy is right

Offline HOF

« Reply #1636 on: July 17, 2023, 07:33:30 PM »
Oh, I absolutely hated that version the first time I heard it. It was everything that was wrong with DT to me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1637 on: July 17, 2023, 07:34:44 PM »
gotta be honest i don't remember which album hollow years is even on anymore. i haven't listened to any DT in ages  :rollin
or even what it sounds like tbh

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1638 on: July 17, 2023, 07:46:26 PM »

Reaper: Knowing who's behind this band… this is firmly not what I expected this to sound like :lol And it's honestly way nicer than I was expecting too!

Ariich: There's an entire family of bands that sound exactly like these guys that I've equally never been able to really get into despite them all being pretty competent at what they do.

Buddy: This is one of those "heard of but never checked out" acts and jesus christ if this is any indication I should've been on them way sooner, god DAMN.

Luke: Well, seeing this artist name, I'm not… sure what I expected, but it certainly wasn't this.

HOF: Real chill and pleasant with some solid playing, but I kinda wish it did… more?

King: This reeeeally took its time to get going and then… didn't really impress me once it did.

11. A bit more colorful, moody, and grandiose than I usually expect from this genre that's decisively not for me… could see it actually working, as a result?

12. It's a bit of a slow burn to a big climax but ironically, I might've liked the buildup more than the payoff.

14. There is… a time and place, for this genre of music, and that time and place is not "me sitting at my computer trying to give it my full attention."

Dammit!  :lol

OK..2, 15, or 16? :neverusethis:

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1639 on: July 17, 2023, 08:12:47 PM »
#6 would be nice. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1640 on: July 17, 2023, 08:30:13 PM »
2, 6, or 10 seems about right, maybe.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1641 on: July 18, 2023, 02:22:24 AM »

TAC: In terms of prog, this style definitely leans a lot closer to my tastes/sensibilities in the genre, yeah.

Puppies: See, you get me and the type of prog I tend to love. Theatricality, intensity, a general chaotic energy and a grand scope… hits all the right notes for me.

Dacul: There is… a time and place, for this genre of music, and that time and place is not "me sitting at my computer trying to give it my full attention."

Lonestar: Ooh, this could've so easily veered too far towards sounds I'm unenthused about but it's colorful enough and grandiose enough that, nah, it's pretty rad.

Faizoff: Vaguely familiar with this band but I'll admit I was not quite expecting the riffage to be on the level that it is.

Litho: Not exactly the kind of sound that's gonna blow my world, but it's at least rock solid enjoyable at the end of the day.

Vmadera: A bit more colorful, moody, and grandiose than I usually expect from this genre that's decisively not for me… could see it actually working, as a result?

Seneca: It's a bit of a slow burn to a big climax but ironically, I might've liked the buildup more than the payoff.

Tomi: Yeah, again, I got pretty much what I expected out of this one and that doesn't necessarily make it… bad, just, unexciting. Like yup.

Stadler: Honestly it's completely on me that I haven't listened to this band enough to ban them, because they're pretty consistently one of if not my favorite of their contemporaries.

only a few left  :corn
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 10:11:17 PM by Crow »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1642 on: July 18, 2023, 03:39:02 AM »
As it happens I agree that most bands who play in a similar style are not especially interesting. Teramaze are one of the very few exceptions for me as, on a couple of their albums especially, the songwriting is dynamic and exciting and there are a lot of strong hooks. Hopefully you'll similarly find that the quality means it stands out!

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1643 on: July 18, 2023, 03:49:19 AM »
As it happens I agree that most bands who play in a similar style are not especially interesting. Teramaze are one of the very few exceptions for me as, on a couple of their albums especially, the songwriting is dynamic and exciting and there are a lot of strong hooks. Hopefully you'll similarly find that the quality means it stands out!

Stop groveling. You’ve already won! :P

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1644 on: July 18, 2023, 03:58:19 AM »
Let's hope for 6
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...