Author Topic: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL RESULTS!!!  (Read 46958 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 7 IMPRESSIONS!
« Reply #1435 on: July 09, 2023, 04:03:24 AM »
 8?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 7 HANGHANG!
« Reply #1436 on: July 09, 2023, 03:39:54 PM »
Round 7 First Impressions!

TAC: Yeah, if it's gonna be this kind of song, at least it has the decency to sound damn excellent.

Buddy: Sick guitar work and an infectious energy, exactly the kind of song I like but not sure it's the kind I'll ever love.

Dacul: Y'know, for as much hype and acclaim as this was getting, it's surprisingly… languid? And normal.

Vmadera: Alright, this Is a lot closer to what I was expecting, but it's still… pretty solid and interesting despite its shortcomings?

Luke: I've heard the discourse, I've seen all the reviews, and at least on this song, I'm… not really seeing the issue?

HOF: A bit sleepy but the instrumental is really lush and there's a scope to this I can see making it really work for me.

Lonestar: Right, there's a lot here I'm probably supposed to be paying attention to but I can't help but noticed how sick that bass is. Oh but like yeah the rest of this is cool too.

Litho: Okay so I also through this band was a completely different type of band than they actually apparently are? Or maybe they just changed their sound?

Puppies: A bit different than what I was expecting, but also better than what I was expecting, if I'm being honest.

Ariich: Yeah, there's a bit too much going on in this one for me to quite know how I feel about it just yet, other than "that was cool".

Tomi: Considering who's involved in this, I get big "playing it safe" vibes from this, but the safe they have played is a pretty sturdy safe. I might be getting my metaphors mixed.

King: On all fronts, a perfectly solid song - good tune, good riffs, good energy - but it's just not doing a ton for me?

Faizoff: I'm fairly certain this is the only album here I've actually checked out before, and I can totally see why I would both enjoy this song a lot and yet not quite feel an entire album of it.

Stadler: Cool 'n' smoky little groove, though maybe a bit long and languid for my tastes.

Seneca: Maybe this'll hit harder when I really listen to the lyrics, but I at least… liked it? It's pleasant.

Reaper: Oh yeah now this is just a slick little jam, I don't know if it hits 100% of the right notes for me but I'm too busy grooving along to care.

comparisons in a bit! luke's getting a v though

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 7 IMPRESSIONS!
« Reply #1437 on: July 09, 2023, 05:17:44 PM »
Round 7 Comparisons:

King v
Ariich v
Dacul v
Seneca v
Puppies v
TAC v
Litho v
Reaper ^
Lonestar ^
Tomi ^
Buddy ^
Stadler ^
HOF ^
Faizoff ^
Vmadera ^
Luke ^

it happened again  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 7 COMPARISONS!
« Reply #1438 on: July 09, 2023, 05:22:03 PM »
Oof.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1439 on: July 09, 2023, 05:25:52 PM »
 :yeahright
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1440 on: July 09, 2023, 06:13:02 PM »
How far is the question!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1441 on: July 09, 2023, 06:22:58 PM »
This remains the question on their minds.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1442 on: July 09, 2023, 07:06:54 PM »
hell yeah

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1443 on: July 09, 2023, 07:16:19 PM »
:yeahright

>gets the coveted impression

>still a v

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1444 on: July 09, 2023, 07:27:36 PM »
i mean to be fair this round had scores moving a lot more towards the middle  :lol
no outstanding high or low scores this time around

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1445 on: July 09, 2023, 07:32:52 PM »
Cs all around!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1446 on: July 09, 2023, 07:39:13 PM »
and here's where i again remind that a 7/10 is a good score  :lol please unamericanize your insane scoring standards  :P a C is like, a 5/10. average.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1447 on: July 09, 2023, 07:40:30 PM »
and here's where i again remind that a 7/10 is a good score  :lol please unamericanize your insane scoring standards  :P a C is like, a 5/10. average.
But, you're American.... :P
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1448 on: July 09, 2023, 07:46:37 PM »

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1449 on: July 09, 2023, 07:51:03 PM »

aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1450 on: July 09, 2023, 08:19:00 PM »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1451 on: July 09, 2023, 09:33:50 PM »
Glad I did’t stick with the Sadness song. :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1452 on: July 11, 2023, 06:30:38 PM »
started writeups today but i'm a lil busy today/tomorrow so idk if they'll be done until thursday, we'll see! like, i'd like to be done with this round by now but, life  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1453 on: July 11, 2023, 10:41:03 PM »
Round 7 Results
Round 7 Playlist

Dacul: Squid – Siphon Song

See, I hear these guys mentioned in the same conversation as Black Country New Road a lot, so I assumed they sounded something like BCNR’s first album, and didn’t check them out ‘cause I wasn’t wild for that first album, but… at least as far as this song is concerned… it’s not, really… that… or much of anything, if I’m being honest? Not that it’s bad, but it’s the least… song, here.

I look at the album’s tags on RYM and I see… none of that, here, really. What I hear is a kind of languid, downtempo rock tune, that’s more post-rock than anything, and like… hell, if even one or two of those tags applied, maybe I’d find this a lot more interesting? It’s a slow groove with a slow burn and it does get some cool louder moments towards the end, there’s nothing unpleasant or inoffensive here, there’s just… not a lot happening!

I do enjoy this song because I’m, y’know, fine with post-rock, not something I seek out but not something I tend to be averse to either. It’s solid as background music. The lyrics are… completely incomprehensible to me, so I don’t really get anything out of it on that front. I like the roaring guitar textures, I see the, like, ingredients for a more interesting song here, but I’m mostly just left disappointed.

6.5/10

King: The Fierce & the Dead – Shake the Jar

Of your previous submissions, this is probably most comparable to Stabbing Westward… in that I feel like I could get a dozen versions of this song just by turning on rock radio. Like, there’s nothing fundamentally wrong with it, it’s a fun enough upbeat rocker with some solid guitar work, but like… yup, it sure is a song alright.

Like, I think the big thing is that there’s no intrigue, there’s no ambition, there’s no emotional resonance to it… it just doesn’t have a ton of character! It’s a fun listen, don’t get me wrong, but it’s just one of the least special songs in a fairly stacked round, is all. And it, doesn’t really give me a ton to say about it either beyond, yeah, cool I guess!

6.5/10

Vmadera: Avenged Sevenfold – G

Okay, The Funny aside and despite this being this low in the round I do still dig this one? It’s A7X doing a very obvious classic & prog rock homage – in particular, I hear a LOT of Edgar Winter’s Frankenstein in this – but, between the very DT-esque organ freakouts, the groovy riffs, and the very off-kilter chorus… it’s melodically pretty fascinating, honestly, I did quite like this… on first listen.

On second listen onwards it became pretty obvious… oh my god this is lame as hell. Like, the big issue is that this is an A7X song that tries to have swagger… which is about the last thing I’d want from this band. Grand and epic are their specialties – more on that later – and the concept itself is cheesy as hell, man. Not helped by the stupid crypto lingo in the last line, but, whatever.

Like, despite that it does still kinda land for me on riffs and groove alone, though it obviously being part of a larger suite – which, for the record, I would’ve accepted as a full submission, see King Gizzard last round :lol – does mean it also just, stops, at the end… I dunno, feeling very mixed on this one but more positive than not, so!

7/10

Seneca: Ben Howard – Days of Lantana

Nope, I didn’t get much else by going over the lyrics. Maybe if I did it with a fine-toothed comb I’d better understand, like… what the song’s going for but I’unno, this song doesn’t really feel like it’s worth putting in the work for. It’s very… pleasant, for sure, I enjoy listening to it, the melodies throughout especially I quite like, reminds me of similarly mellow tunes from the earlier rounds.

But beyond that, there’s just… not a ton here? I think it either needed to have a bit more movement or be a bit shorter – I feel like I’m listening to the same ideas for four minutes straight, and it doesn’t really even build to much other than riding on its vibes, so… I do like this, it’s very relaxing and chill, but that’s about as deep as it goes for me.

7/10

Stadler: Gov't Mule ft. Billy Bob Thornton – The River Only Flows One Way

Yeah, I suppose it’s not too surprising that a song like this would be born from the ashes (?) of the Allman Brothers Band because this has a ton in common with your round 5 submission – a long jam that probably works better as background music than active listening but still has enough going on that it’s a pretty solid listen either way.

Like, I dig the smoky, menacing atmosphere, the instrumentation is pretty eclectic, there’s a lot of neat little sound tricks that sell its atmosphere, it sounds loose but when you really listen to hear it there’s just, so many small details crammed into practically every second of this, it’s very delicately crafted.

My only real hangup is that… I dunno, something about this atmosphere, this sound, paired with these lyrics that doesn’t quite sit right with me, feels a biiiit uncomfortable, but ehh, it’s not really a huge hangup, and the tune itself is a smooth enough listen that I can’t really be too bothered. It’s chill ‘n’ cool, even if it could’ve maaaaybe served to be a bit shorter.

7/10

HOF: Stefano Panunzi – You and I

Okay, so on first listen, I heard more than a few style comparisons to David Bowie’s Blackstar on this, between the vocal style, the brass & woodwinds, the bass groove, the synthy atmosphere… and on further listens, no I don’t hear it at all. I’m not sure where that first impression came from. I mean, those things are all elements I like, and they add up to a pretty enjoyable song, but…

…I dunno, with this kind of song, I really need some kind of emotional connection for it to really land with me, and this one just doesn’t quite -hit-, y’know? It’s, again, very pleasant to listen to, but it all kinda washes over me without really leaving much of an impact, either in terms of sticking in my head or getting me to really feel something.

It does have solid build, it has lush instrumentation, I think by the end I do start feeling it a decent bit, and I like it more than the songs below it here, but beyond that… yeah, just pretty Nice™. I dunno, it’s borderline. I feel like if I’m underrating any song this round it’s this one but it juuuust barely doesn’t go far enough for me.

7/10

TAC: Harboured – Far Barren

John Blackmetal strikes again! That’s it, that’s all I have to say, onto the next writeup.

…okay, I kid, I kid, there is a bit more going on here than, say, Harakiri for the Sky or Pure Wrath, a bit of a progressive edge to this one, even if it’s not super pronounced, and the guitar tones, the balanced mix, the intensity, these are all things I like in this genre! And it’s a genre I do like, just, again, not one I’m particularly interested in right now!

It also doesn’t help that it’s, on all fronts, kind of… middling. It’s got good guitar tones, but not quite the spacey, ethereal sound that I’m looking for, and it’s uptempo, but in a kind of, uhh, thrashy way? It’s not thrash metal, or death metal, but the drums follow the same patterns of those genres as much as they go into black metal blastbeats. And it’s got some ambition to it, but not, a ton?

I dunno, I feel weird about this one because it’s one of the songs that interests me the least this round. It’s just. Very much what it is. It easily fades into the background, I don’t think it’s ever held my attention all the way through on any of my listens, but it’s always at least enjoyable, so!

7.5/10

Puppies: Ché Aimee Dorval – Loveless

I love Casualties of Cool, we all know that, and I have checked out some of Ché’s albums before but I was never wowed. I remember them being… a lot more mellow and stripped down than this, though. I think I prefer it this way. It’s got a cool blend of organic and synthetic elements where it kinda sits comfortably in the middle of both, it’s got a solid build and payoff, and by god can Ché sing.

That being said… actually, that’s about all I have to say about it, honestly. I feel like this should hit that next level for me but it… never quite does? I feel it to some extent, but it never quite wows me and I never have many thoughts about it beyond “yeah, cool tune!” To my ears it’s obviously better than some of the lower-ranked songs this round, but it’s also not doing enough for me that I’d wanna check out the album, basically. The perfect 7.5.

7.5/10

Buddy: Mutoid Man – Call of the Void

Yeah, surprise, the band that worked once before is gonna work a second time, funny how that works. I think we need some kinda derogatory term to call this specific brand of techy, headstrong metal. Butt rock is what we call its lighter cousin but “butt metal” doesn’t have the same ring to it. Maybe armpit metal because it makes you sweaty listening to it? I don’t know where I’m going with this.

Anyways what I appreciate most about this is that even beyond the technicality this actually has a pretty strong hook, even if the vocals themselves don’t… quite deliver it all that amazingly. I dunno, I tend to compare this band to Baroness and Mastodon but the vocals are definitely not up to par with those bands. And I’m not wild about all the harmonics in the main riff, but thaaaat’s a nitpick and I at least respect the energy.

I dunno, it’s a fun rocker and not much more, with enough flashy guitar work that it appeals to the primal part of my brain, but I think, unfortunately for you, another song in this round did that just a bit better and made this one look like the little brother in comparison. But I mean, it’s still pretty cool, so!

7.5/10

Lonestar: Gacharic Spin – Replica

Girls rock! Wooo! Now that that’s out of the way, yeah, this goes pretty hard :metal Tons of energy here, in the vocals, the guitars, the drums, and – especially, yes – the bass, jesus christ! There’s a light pop/electronic edge undercutting this too but it’s mooostly grounded in the rock instruments and I prefer it that way.

If I had any one gripe it’s that… the chorus is very wordy and as such a strong melody doesn’t really develop out of it, the hook’s not very strong! Feels like it should be this powerful moment of catharsis – especially after the really awesome buildup to the last chorus with all the girls hitting a sick triplet flow as the instruments rise and swell – but then it kinda anticlimaxes and leaves me a liiiittle cold. But like… I dunno, still a hell of a ride even if the destination doesn’t blow me away! It’s just a cool tune.

7.5/10

Litho: Dirt Poor Robins – To the Heights

Realized I probably got a different impression of this band because I’ve heard The Last Days of Leviathan before which is like this folky prog rock opera thingy? I think? This is not that. This is synthpop :lol And it’s one of the more “yeah, cool!” synthpop grooves of the roulette, in that I don’t particularly love it, but it’s still a good bit of fun! Like, slightly less than Fou, I think, so it gets basically the same placement and score.

I feel like the lyrics are kinda trying to conflate two different things (climate crisis & cheesy 1984-ish political commentary) that don’t really go together and aren’t really landing for me, but I don’t know if I really care that much when the music itself is a jam. Not the jammiest of jams as far as this roulette goes, or this round goes, even, but still pretty damn catchy and fun!

7.5/10

Ariich: Kyros – The End in Mind

One of my most annoying quirks is that I really like prog metal, but I’ve never been wild for prog rock, which is definitely what Kyros are playing here. There’s a lot of moving parts to this, lots of little moments and weird detours wrapped around a pretty solid hook and a solid level of groove, but because it doesn’t have the TEETH that prog metal does, my brain ends up merely liking it instead of loving it. I fully recognize this is a “me” thing :lol

Of your submissions this is probably closest to Bend Sinister – a pileup of smaller moments that add up over time, even if it a lot of the individual moments get lost in the shuffle in the handful of listens I have allotted for these songs. And much like the Bend Sinister song – which I must remind was a round winner – I feel like I’m gonna forget what this sounds like unless I get a chance to really sit with this album.

And yeah, the vocals are… not quite my preference, but they’re solid enough? She’s really goin’ for it, anyways. The general fidelity of the track is a bit muddy for my prefs, too, but enough elements punch through sharp enough that it’s not a huuuge issue? This does overall have a big “early 90’s DT except a little less heavy” vibe to it that would’ve probably appealed to me more ten years ago, but even now it’s still pretty cool, yeah!

7.5/10

Reaper: Fractures – Strangers

If the Dirt Poor Robins song is the bouncier, upbeat side of synthpop, then this is the colder, almost gothic side, synthwave-leaning even, and I think that it hits the right balance where it doesn’t go too in that direction so as to lose its appeal for me, but far enough that it still brings along the spooky undercurrents alongside its groove.

I get the vibe that it’s lyrically a very post-quarantine-y song about isolation which, yeah, true. I dunno if I quite feel it on that level, but the tune itself is good enough that I don’t really care – stronger groove and cooler sound than Dirt Poor Robins, anyways, all it really lacks to make it a smash for me is a strong hook! Which is a surprisingly common problem in this round. Anyways yeah it’s a pretty straightforward but really cool tune, I’m all here for it.

7.5/10

Faizoff: Sarmat – Formed From Filth

It’s very funny that a relatively obscure tech death record is the only one here I’ve listened to before, but it’s an I Voidhanger release so of course I have :lol Weird tech death on one of the coolest black metal labels, of course I’m curious. But it’s also… a lot :lol Not the kind of aggression and chaos I’d want kept up for 35 straight minutes, which is what I remember the album itself being.  A song or two, though? Yeah, super cool.

Like, it’s easy to compare this to Mutoid Man bcuz they both have a lot of similar, noodly guitar work, but this firmly establishes itself as tech death – and even has that prettier, jazzy midsection to break up the flow, too. It shakes itself up a bit more, has a lot of meat on its bones, and I’m always partial to this kind of unapologetically dissonant guitar weedling that still has its own sense of melody despite it all.

Like… yeah the production is a little messy for my tastes, but that does at least keep it from sounding overly polished and robotic, and it’s not the kind of meatheaded death metal I can’t get into either, it’s like… perfectly in the middle. Vocals do nothing for me here but eehh I don’t mind ‘em. I dunno, this is just, really damn cool. A lot of cool songs this round but this might be the coolest one.

8/10

Tomi: boygenius – Not Strong Enough

I’ve heard both Phoebe Bridgers albums – first one’s better, fight me, but they’re both good. Heard one Julien Baker album, also pretty good. Haven’t heard a Lucy Dacus album but I’ve heard a few songs that were pretty good. So I had no reason to believe this wasn’t also gonna be pretty good and, yeah, wow, it’s pretty good! It’s not really outside any lanes for any of the artists involved, but what they’ve put together is good enough that I don’t really care?

And this is like, one of two songs this round I get anything out of lyrically, a very clear swirling mess of depression and anxiety and generally just the big oofies, all sorts of unrefined emotions that make functioning on a day-to-day basis difficult, and man can I feel that :lol It’s got relatability on its side, that’s always a plus in my book.

And then the ending is just, really good. The repeated motif, the swelling of the instrumentation, all three ladies coming in one at a time, the drums going, and a nice big payoff for it all… that’s songwriting™, baby! I dunno, it grows on you’re the more it goes on, and it grows on you the more you listen to it. My fault for not checking out the record™ sooner, I guess!

8/10

Luke: Avenged Sevenfold – Cosmic

Isn’t it funny. We go from one of the worst things I’ve been sent in recent memory (nearly rated it lower!) to a song that, going in, I had every reason to assume would be a disaster – I’ve heard things, man, and none of them have been kind. And here we are, best song of the round and it’s not a particularly hard decision. Irony is funny :lol

And it’s probably hypocritical of me that my favorite song of the round is the most Bob Progmetal song of the round, but like… it’s… really well done? Slower, moodier first half with some nice guitar leads that gives way to a long, repetitive yet climactic build in the second half, a real moment of triumph? Yeah, I’m weak to that, man!

And there’s even something kinda touching lyrically, where it’s, y’know, uh, “If I die tomorrow, I'd be all right, because I believe that after we're gone the spirit carries on.” Or something like that :lol Not, like, the deepest thing ever but you do feel it, y’know? Frankly it’s just so self-evidently good that I kinda don’t know what else to say about it! Not sure it’s gonna get me to check out the album, but hey, I’m glad there’s at least one really good tune on it!

It is not better than Thorn Woos the Wound by Victory Over the Sun though.

8/10

Standings:
Ariich – 54.5
Tomislav – 53.5
Puppies – 52.5
TAC – 51.5
Litho – 51
Seneca – 51
King – 50.5
Buddy – 49
Lonestar – 48.5
Stadler – 48.5
Vmadera – 48.5
Faizoff – 48
HOF – 48
Reaper – 48
Dacul – 47.5
Luke – 47

Will Ariich stumble and trip his way out of the top spot? Will Luke claw his way out of the vomit coffin at the bottom of the rankings? Will someone post “congrats ariich” in direct response to this post? Find out in the final episode of Crow’s Overdue Roulette™!

(send for the final round! the closing track round! longer time limit for this round but if everybody uses it this round will take a month :lol)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 7 RESULTS!
« Reply #1454 on: July 11, 2023, 10:44:59 PM »
also i just realized, that one part of G sounds exactly like this.

i'm not sure why it sounds like a salsa song.

i need to push thru a bit of writing over the next few days and the songs this round i'm expecting to be longer so i don't think i'm gonna start listens until saturday/sunday at the earliest and stuff will prob be going at a slower pace this round, but

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1455 on: July 11, 2023, 10:47:06 PM »
Congrats Ariich!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1456 on: July 11, 2023, 11:01:20 PM »
congrats ariich!

Wait what?

Anyway glad you liked it even if you didn't love it. Yeah Kyros aren't heavy overall and I doubt they ever will be. Their appeal is more about the poppy, synthy side. There isn't a new album yet but I'm hoping one is on the way. Shelby's voice still isn't anything special, I agree, but like I said in my PM I think it's better now (and a better fit for their music) since she transitioned.

I've sent my final round song, will have a think about whether I want to replace it (again) now that we've reached the round but it's a great song, so.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1457 on: July 11, 2023, 11:43:38 PM »
Nailed the 7! Honestly forgot where we were on this roulette and hadn’t given any thought to the last round. You need an actual closing track from an album, right?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1458 on: July 12, 2023, 12:36:11 AM »
closing track or one that's spiritually a closer (if there's like a brief outro track after it it's fine lol)
there's never really been a strict length limit on songs but that vague "please be reasonable" is extended to a "well okay 20ish minutes max" for the round but otherwise anything is game

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1459 on: July 12, 2023, 03:00:18 AM »
Wow, I love the song, and it easily my favourite song of the year so far, but didn’t see it winning the round! It is one of those songs that I feel should have universal appeal (or at least on DTF), and if it can win a Crow round then I’m even more confident of that.

*Round winner, wow better see if I’ve moved up the rankings

*Still dead last  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1460 on: July 12, 2023, 04:33:47 AM »
Crap.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1461 on: July 12, 2023, 05:50:42 AM »
Very cool! two rounds that have had max scores! This appears to be a pattern with me in roulettes, so many ups and downs. I'm sometimes very in line with tastes and then just the opposit.

Going to have to look for a decent closer.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1462 on: July 12, 2023, 06:14:00 AM »
You crazy SOB Ariich you did it again, congrats!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1463 on: July 12, 2023, 06:22:45 AM »
You crazy SOB Ariich you did it again, congrats!
Well I haven't won yet, Tomi could definitely pip me in the last round, nor have I won one for 2.5 years, so I don't think any of "again", "congrats" or "you did it" are really apt. :P But I am ariich and maybe I am a crazy SOB. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1464 on: July 12, 2023, 06:23:42 AM »
Glad you liked it, they are such a diverse band with so many genre bending tracks, well worth diving into.

You got my last submission already.

And Congrats Rich!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1465 on: July 12, 2023, 06:37:15 AM »
My next 7.5 submission has already been sent!

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1466 on: July 12, 2023, 07:31:51 AM »
My next 7.5 submission has already been sent!

If I manage to stay in the top half I'll be satisfied with that result. :biggrin:
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: July 12, 2023, 07:44:10 AM »
Yeah that's fair, tbh I couldn't finish that album but I kinda liked that song. I was about to send a Lana del Rey track though.

Now, do I send a long-ass epic closer, or a shorter but very fun one? ;D

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1468 on: July 12, 2023, 07:56:27 AM »
Sent for last round, aiming for a 6  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1469 on: July 12, 2023, 09:30:31 AM »
Sent!

Litho: Dirt Poor Robins – To the Heights

Realized I probably got a different impression of this band because I’ve heard The Last Days of Leviathan before which is like this folky prog rock opera thingy? I think? This is not that. This is synthpop :lol And it’s one of the more “yeah, cool!” synthpop grooves of the roulette, in that I don’t particularly love it, but it’s still a good bit of fun! Like, slightly less than Fou, I think, so it gets basically the same placement and score.

I feel like the lyrics are kinda trying to conflate two different things (climate crisis & cheesy 1984-ish political commentary) that don’t really go together and aren’t really landing for me, but I don’t know if I really care that much when the music itself is a jam. Not the jammiest of jams as far as this roulette goes, or this round goes, even, but still pretty damn catchy and fun!

7.5/10

I wouldn't call it especially folky, though there are moments of it scattered throughout their catalog, I suppose, but that's close enough to the extent you can categorize it.  That was 13 years ago though and their sound has definitely expanded over time with more electronic elements among other things.  First time ariich and I have gotten the same score, lol.