Author Topic: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - FINAL RESULTS!!!  (Read 46957 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 3 IMPRESSED YET?
« Reply #665 on: May 17, 2023, 06:08:52 PM »
Round 3 Results
Round 3 Playlist

Dacul: Nicolas Jaar - Killing Time

Y’know what, I’m calling this one early because it’s both almost twice as long as the second-longest song in this round and by a huge margin my least favorite. The risk you take when submitting an eleven minute ambient song, I suppose. I was kind of on board with this for my first listen, but the more I listened to it, the less I liked it, and it’s for a pretty obvious reason.

The song is just too dang long. It didn’t need to be this long. It starts off badly, what with all the glass breaking sounds – haha, smashing clocks, killing time, I get it – but then it doesn’t really do anything to recover from that? It just… never goes anywhere. No real build or climax to it, it just kinda, sits there and simmers in its own misery for eleven whole minutes, then it just… ends.

Which I guess is fitting for its lyrical conceit, of how the younger generations are waiting for older generations and their regressive politics to die out, which… I don’t vibe with either? One, that’s plain untrue, those same regressive politics are passed down through generations anyways, but it’s also a weirdly content and stagnant attitude to have? Absolutely nothing is getting done that way, and we need action to move forward.

So yeah… this one irks me both on a musical level and a lyrical level, while also being the longest and most tedious song I’ve been sent all roulette… this honestly doesn’t even feel like a great roulette pick in general, if I’m being honest? I can see why you’d like this, but this just doesn’t do it for me.

5/10

King: Squirrel Nut Zippers – Hell

Alright, I gotta start with his voice. There’s no way around it, so I’m just gonna say it. He sounds  like friggin’ Kermit the Frog. Aged up like a decade or so. Mush-mouthed, kind of uncanny, it’s just… what. Like, I’ve heard a bit of swing and I don’t recall vocals like this. That being said… it’s kiiiind of grown on me the more I’ve listened to it? Like, it’s still a hard sell, but he does make a tempting offer.

The other big “problem”, and it’s not really much of a problem, is that I’m just… not really interested in the idea of listening to Literally Swing? At any given point? But especially not in the evenings when I’m usually listening to this. I’m trying not to be unfair to this one because, like, for what it is, I can tell it’s really good, it’s just… outside my wheelhouse.

Oh. But like, yeah, the groove is strong, all the horns and woodwinds are goin’ off all over the place, there’s a cool, darker undertone present in both the sound and the lyrics, this kind of satirical play on hell itself, I can see it pairing up well with, like, a 30’s cartoon depiction of the underworld or something. Even for all my reservations, I do have a good time listening to this, I don’t dislike it, just… I’m not gonna return to it either, y’know?

6.5/10

Stadler: The Cars – Let's Go

First and foremost: Yeah, I’ve definitely heard this one before. Probably on classic rock radio. That synth-y riff and the chorus sound way too familiar to not be some deeply lodged memory. And second, and more frustratingly… yeah, this was definitely not what I was looking for in this round, and though I’m not gonna dock it points for that… I mean, that inherently works against it anyways?

Like, this is pretty much the most “head empty. no thoughts” pop song of the round, and I don’t mean that as an insult… though I’m also not sure I mean it as a compliment either? It’s catchy, it’s fun, it’s basically just a song about a hot girl doing hot girl things which, hell yeah, we take those. It’s not the deepest or most engaging song I’ve hear or anything, but I have fun listening to it.

I can’t help feel like I’d like this a bit more if it were a proper rock song, though? Like, those synths are kiiiinda weird, I imagine a guitar playing that riff and hear a song with more punch to it, but then that’s also baaasically the only thing that needs to change to just make this a straight up rock song? I dunno, I’m only really thinking about this because the song doesn’t give me a ton else to say, it’s just. Neat. Fun tune, glad I listened to it.

7/10

Seneca: Osi and the Jupiter – Hollowed

Man, I kinda feel bad about this one because, like, on first listen I really liked it, and my first impression reflected that, yet… every time I’ve come back to it and reread that first impression, I’m… not? Sure? What I was on? And I’ve liked it just a little bit less each time too, unfortunately. I have more patience for this than Killing Time, anyways, but… it does kind of test it.

Like, this sounds phenomenal. Beautiful acoustics, silky-smooth strings, reverb-drenched soundscapes, the atmosphere it crafts is absolutely immaculate, yet it still ends up sounding… kinda sparse and slow, by the end? There’s a lot of empty space here and I’m not sure it’s used to any greater effect, it just feels like gaps in the mix. It’s missing something, though I can’t quite put my finger on what.

Other than that… well, I do think this is yet another slow, atmospheric song that’s not really stuck in my mind, not standing out melodically, and it ends up feeling like the strings are pulling a loooot of weight here – maybe that’s what struck me on first list? – but I still overall come away liking this more than not. It’s very pretty. It sounds great. I just wish it gave me a bit more to latch onto, I guess.

7/10

Reaper: Ooyy – Lepiten Falls

See, you have the right idea here. This is definitely a sound I like – namely, a Porter Robinson-y brand of dreamy electronic music. Somewhere halfway between Worlds and Nurture. The synthscapes are lush, the drums are punchy, there’s a density to the  production that just sounds good, on sound alone I probably like it more than several other songs I’ve ranked above it.

But I wouldn’t call this a Porter Robinson song so much as, like… a half-finished Porter Robinson demo. It feels more like the framework for a song rather than a proper song and it’s kinda hard to ignore. Like, there should be some vocals on top of this, or a more melodic synth lead, or just, something! An actual tune! It’s frustrating how much potential this has that isn’t capitalized on in any way!

Honestly, this is probably the absolute upper ceiling for “song I really like the sound of that lacks any substance or tune”. There’s just… nothing there, beyond Ooyy demonstrating that, yes, I do know how to produce good EDM, I’m just actively choosing not to. Don’t just publish the rough draft, make all those little edits and turn in a nice, proper final draft next time and then we’ll be talking. Until then… nice effort, but I’m underwhelmed.

7/10

TAC: Birdy – Raincatchers

Here’s another I definitely liked more the first time I heard it, and I wouldn’t necessarily say I like it less now so much as that it didn’t  really grow on me the way a lot of other songs in the round did. It’s a good pop song! I do feel like I’ve kinda, like, heard a bunch of versions of this exact song in the mainstream pop scene, though, which makes it a struggle for this one to really stand out.

Like… the strings have weight to them, the drums have a cool, primal groove to them, Birdy herself is a strong singer, all the elements of this are good, it’s well-made, but its biggest crime is anonymity! I wanna say this feels like… diet Florence + the Machine, specifically? Lyrically it’s apparently about “losing your inner child and then finding her again” which… okay, I wouldn’t have gotten that on my own but looking at the lyrics, yeah, I can kinda see it.

This is paradoxically one of the easiest to like and yet hardest to love songs of this round, hell, this entire roulette, because it’s so obviously competent and enjoyable without doing a single interesting thing outside of that. It’s less that I dislike it and more than I’m… incurious, about it. It’s just… markedly unspecial. Good, for sure, but god, I wish it excited me even a little bit.

7/10

HOF: Prefab Sprout – Bonny (Acoustic)

My understanding of Prefab Sprout is that they’re like, some kinda new-wave act? A genre I’ve never really cared for. I did check out the original Bonny though and… yeah this would not have been eligible, but it’s also pretty good? I like both versions and I think it’s neat how different and deconstructed the vibe of this acoustic version is, it does feel like its own  song and has its own appeal.

That appeal being: a very somber, melancholic, kinda folky little breakup song. There’s a degree to which it almost feels kind of… pathetic, but that feels intentional, in a way it makes the song more compelling. Like there’s both a sadness and a desperation here and yet you can tell he’s not getting the girl back, Bonny’s not coming back home.

The vocal performance is pretty strong, the guitars sound great, the… harmonica? That layers itself throughout the track, the way the mix really fills up with more guitars towards the end, it’s all really pleasant in a way that doesn’t undercut the inherent melancholy of the song. I wouldn’t say I’m… particularly taken by it, I’ve heard plenty of acoustic breakup ballads before, but this is a pretty dang solid one nonetheless.

7/10

Vmadera: Morcheeba – Blood Like Lemonade

So… if love is like blood, and blood is like lemonade… does that make lemonade, love? Yes I know someone already made this joke in-thread but I’m still making it anyways, nyeh. Anyways, this is goofy as hell. Feels like it’s trying to be self-serious, but it’s kinda edgy to the point where it’s hard to take seriously, yet it’s just got such a cool trip-hop vibe to it that I’m all here for it.

Also, it sounds a lot like What it’s Like by Everlast. If it were a goofy, edgy vampire story. So, a lot like What it’s Like by Everlast, basically. I kid, I kid… I think? Also, uhh, why lemonade specifically? I wouldn’t drink a lot of lemonade at once, it’s pretty sour, y’know. This song isn’t very sour, though, it’s smooth and cool. Like, uhh. Milk. Though I guess Blood Like Milk doesn’t have the same ring to it.

You can kinda tell I’m struggling to actually say much about this one, because it kinda is just what it is? Uhh. The guitar work is pretty nice? The concept, at the very least, amuses me? It’s very easy to turn off my brain and just jam along to the vibes? It’s a cool tune, yo. I like it.

7/10

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 3 IMPRESSED YET?
« Reply #666 on: May 17, 2023, 06:09:26 PM »
Luke: Caravan Palace – Wonderland

So here’s what I was talking about in my first impression, by the way. Yeah, was not a huge fan of Lone Digger. Fortunately for you, Wonderland kinda… veers away from everything I didn’t like about Lone Digger and electro-swing as a genre, and the end result is probably the best thing I’ve heard from Caravan Palace so far? It’s actually pretty good!

Also, having this and Squirrel Nut Zippers in the same round is actually pretty funny, and proooobably helped pin down why this works so much more for me. Both songs are swingy and fun but just having a more modern sound as well as it being more of an electronic/pop song makes it that much more palatable to me.

I also like how it gets more electronic and less swing the longer it goes on. You get both a solid  electro-swing song, and then the chopped ‘n’ screwed remix of itself, it’s a two-for-one deal! It keeps it interesting throughout, mostly. The repeated vocal line in the back half is maddeningly catchy, too. Probably because it repeats so much, but like, fair enough. I dunno. Still not wild for this sound but this is probably my favorite take I’ve heard on it!

7/10

Buddy: Depeche Mode – Enjoy the Silence

I was all ready to roll up after sitting on the sidelines, watching people praise this one to hell and back in the thread and slap it with a mediocre, underwhelming score. But I guess the joke’s on me because this one definitely grew on me the more I listened to it. Okay, fine. How dare a proven classic actually be good. The nerve of this song.

The big issue I tend to have with this sound is that, like… actual 80’s music has all aged so poorly. A whole lot of experimentation with new technologies, and experimentation implies some experiments will be failures. Even now, I’m not wild about some of the synth choices in this… or the drum machine… or the general fidelity, even.

But uhh. It turns out that the tune is kinda just, good enough to push past all its dated elements? Which I guess explains why Depeche Mode is such a beloved, well-respected band? There’s depth past the style. And the atmosphere they create is pretty cool and spooky even with the, kinda, cheesy synths actually producing it.  It’s just, enjoyable on a very basic level. Not as much as, y’know… the modern synthpop it influenced that outscored it in this round, but, details!

7/10

Lonestar: Senri Kawaguchi – Wupatki

Instrumental jazz fusion type stuff is always a weird experience. Inherently one of the most easily-likable, coolest sounds out there. An impressive level of technicality, strong grooves and warm atmosphere, so many twists and turns that it’s impossible for it to get boring. And yet it’s always hard to love-love it because… actually, hhmm, why is it exactly? I still can’t really tell you.

Like, Wupatki in particular… my only real criticism of this one is that it doesn’t really have a strong central melody to ground it? It does at least try to have one, though, that it returns to in between all the solos and unisons and breaks and all that, and everything that happens between that central melody is also really cool and sounds great – like, cannot get enough of that bass tone especially.

It’s not what experts would call “the deepest listening experience” and… maybe that’s why I’m not falling over myself to hear more? For as cool and impressive as it is, it’s also kinda… shallow? There’s no real emotional depth to it. Just… cool tunes. Really cool tunes. I don’t mean to downplay how much fun this is to listen to and groove along to, I’m absolutely basking in it every time I play it, but it’s just… it is what it is and doesn’t really stand out in its genre, either.

7.5/10

Ariich: Kishi Bashi – Carry On Phenomenon

Y’know, five listens in and I’m not… really sure how to classify this song, yet. I hear a lot of 70’s prog-isms in this, the vocal style especially reminds me a lot of, I wanna say Yes? But it’s definitely not a prog rock, or prog or rock song. It’s driven by guitars and drums for the most part, sure, but… it’s weird. It’s cool. I like that it’s cool and weird.

And like I said before, yeah, it’s the energy that carries this, the song is only ever moving forward with a frantic energy, more and more instruments cramming into the mix, never letting up on the gas pedal. There’s even this, like, cyclical feel to it where the main melody never really resolves so the song just keeps going round and round… which sounds like it should be infuriating, but I think that’s why the energy is kept up so well?

And it’s definitely pretty catchy – hell, it’s gotta be with how much the main melody is repeated! All the instrumental noodling gives it a lotta replayability, too, because you’re definitely not catching everything the first time around. I think I might respect it more than I actually, like, enjoy it? Because the sound is cool but I can’t say it appeals to me… but then, I mean, here I am listening to this song for the fifth time and still enjoying the hell out of it, so you’ve definitely got something here!

7.5/10

Puppies: L'Impératrice – Fou

Okay, what the hell. I have absolutely no clue how this foreign language pop song is secretly one of the most catchy things I’ve heard in ages. I don’t know a single word to this song besides the title and yet the entire chorus is already permanently engrained in my memory after just a handful of listens. Congrats, Fou. You win. Oh, uhh, yeah, this is a nifty little pop song!

There’s at least some degree to which isn’t isn’t quite my style of “fun” pop song – it’s got similar vibes and the same spirit as the most direct comparison I can think of, Secrets (Your Fire) by Magdalena Bay – but the sound is a bit… empty? Compared to that. The bass and drums are left to carry a loooot of weight compared to the guitars and synths, and that bridge in particular does lose a bit of momentum and feels a bit like dead air, but, ehh. It’s a nice little break for the energy, I guess?

From what I’ve translated, the lyrics are about… going crazy in a safe, sanitized world? Which does not at all come through in the music, which is very clean and polished, but like, I can’t understand these lyrics anyways so, who cares. It’s just a fun groove, a strong hook, a really sticky little pop tune that’s easy to jam along to, even if I’m not totally in love with it either.

7.5/10

Tomi: Let's Eat Grandma – It's Not Just Me

This was probably the easiest win anyone’s had all roulette because I did listen to and enjoy this group’s last album and it’s frankly embarrassing that I haven’t gone back to check out the album this song’s on yet either. And unsurprisingly, it’s pretty friggin’ great synthpop. Warm and bright, colorful synths and catchy hooks, cute lyrics from the perspective of two queer lovers about how life is tough and it keeps them apart but even through it all their feelings for each other have persevered. Hell yeah.

Also, it is Tether by CHVRCHES. Like, this is literally just Tether. Okay, well, not really, but the hook and especially the drop are so goddamn similar it’s almost uncanny. Not that, being Tether again is a bad thing, because I like Tether, and I like this song a lot! It’s the kind of lush, sparkling synthpop that always does it for me, even if it doesn’t strike me as… particularly unique?

I say that, but, there is one thing that stands out to me, namely, the like… noisiness that the vocal layering creates. It’s a really cool effect, one that’s subtle enough that I didn’t notice it on my first few listens, but it does really do a lot to carry the song’s atmosphere. I dunno, I don’t think I have a ton to say about this other than that, yeah, I do kinda love it?

8/10

Litho: KANGA – Untie

One of those cases where I pretty much have to completely throw out my first impression because, while this isn’t quite my favorite song of this round, it’s easily the one I was most looking forward to relistening to by my later listen-throughs because, god, this is so damn cool. Like, yeah, no strong hook here or anything but, who cares? Does it really need one? Isn’t it nice to be a little surprised by it every time you listen to it again?

Like, you get all the cool, clanking percussion throughout the first half of the song over some dark, ominous synths that morphs into a full-on aggressive assault by the halfway point, only for a really beautiful synthwave jam to emerge from that cocoon of ugliness as the song really spreads its wings and develops more of a strong melody? The way it sounds is compelling, the way it evolves is fantastic, it’s just, damn!

It’s… exciting in a way that few other songs this roulette have been, honestly. I wanna drop everything and check out this album right away – not gonna actually do that until after the roulette, of course, but it’s tempting because if this is just a slice of what KANGA has to offer then I reeeeally wanna see the full package. Again, not the best song here, but I’m glad as hell I heard it.

8/10

Faizoff: LCD Soundsystem – Someone Great

Like with Janelle last round, yeah, I’d hear this song once or twice and already knew I liked it. Unlike Janelle, this one actually grew on me a lot in the time I spent listening to it ‘cause… oh man this is really good. This definitely benefits from styling itself after the 80’s while not actually being from the 80’s, which is the type of synthpop I tend to like the most. Taking the outcome of that experimentation and making the best possible version of it.

And there’s definitely an intentional element of dissonance to the song – lyrically about the loss of a close friend, sonically upbeat, bright, and even kind of monotonous, but that’s kinda the trick. Moreso than being about the loss itself, it’s about how… the rest of the world just keeps going no matter what’s happening to you on a personal level. Time can’t stop just to accommodate your grief. It sucks but the only thing you can do is keep on living, y’know?

Also, it’s maddeningly catchy. That main melodic loop has gotten stuck in my head over the past week and a half just as much as if not moreso than Fou, and I don’t think this one’s meant to be that kind of pop song, but it kinda just… effortlessly is? The production’s also delightfully noisy even in its attempts to remain clean and steady, which, again, part of the point. This is just, like… all-around a really great tune and I’m especially glad I got to revisit it.

8.5/10

Standings:
ariich – 22.5
Buddy – 22.5
TAC – 22.5
Tomislav – 22.5
King – 22
Puppies – 22
Seneca – 22
HOF – 21.5
Litho – 21.5
Stadler – 21.5
Vmadera – 21.5
Faizoff – 20.5
Luke – 20.5
Reaper – 20.5
Lonestar – 20
Dacul – 18.5

This is like, the most frustratingly close rankdown ever isn’t it? :lol Y’all keep trading places each round! Let’s try to get round 4 submissions in by… Saturday? That sounds good. It’s the LOUD MUSIC round and “louder than what you’d normally submit” counts because I know the fogeys will struggle otherwise :P but if you do have heavy stuff to send me you best be sending it, yes, no wussing out this round, y’all

also i must've had more to say this round than the last two bcuz it wouldn't let me keep all results in a single post this time, weird  :corn
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 08:00:42 PM by Crow »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Crow's Overdue Roulette v8 - ROUND 3 RESULTS!
« Reply #667 on: May 17, 2023, 06:11:38 PM »
I was aiming to get your quirky side. Time to narrow down the heavy song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #668 on: May 17, 2023, 06:14:37 PM »
Damn...thought that hit the sweet spot. Oh well...

I've had Rd 4 in mind for a while now...sending.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #669 on: May 17, 2023, 06:23:10 PM »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #670 on: May 17, 2023, 06:24:46 PM »
Created a small gravity well in your inbox.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #671 on: May 17, 2023, 06:25:00 PM »
A fair amount of her music is more like the last minute or two of that track, more melodic and danceable (though it tends to retain a bit of a darker edge over typical club EDM stuff), but there are some other cuts scattered throughout her work that are also less conventional, but hopefully you'll enjoy it all. 

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #672 on: May 17, 2023, 06:26:56 PM »
Decent score, I'll take that. Although I was secretly hoping to crack 8/10 again. No matter, I'm only half a point out of the lead now. Not bad considering I started off in last place  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #673 on: May 17, 2023, 06:42:14 PM »
BRUH where the hell is my score??? :rollin

EDIT: Okay did the math and it's a 7, not a 7.5. Oh well. Better than I was expecting given that first impression! That song grew on me a lot too, honestly. I'm actually in the same boat as you regarding 80s music - it's probably the decade I have the least amount of music I enjoy from since the 60s, and a lot of that comes down to the dated production of that time, like you described. But yeah, that Depeche Mode album not only sounds great in my opinion (to me it sounds undeniably retro, but not dated like a lot of the other synth music from around then), and the songwriting and atmosphere is great.

...only problem is that album actually came out in March 1990 so it can't even be my favorite 80s album. :lol :loser:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2023, 06:48:26 PM by Buddyhunter1 »
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #674 on: May 17, 2023, 07:03:43 PM »
Well, still hanging in there standings wise after a round that I was dreading. My scores are on the decline though.
Sent a loud song for Round 4. I feel like I followed the instructions in the Tastes section of the OP. We'll see how it goes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #675 on: May 17, 2023, 07:05:44 PM »
Sent. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #676 on: May 17, 2023, 07:22:49 PM »
Sent some meeehtal. Hopefully I can have the #1 spot to myself after this round, it's getting too crowded up here. :biggrin:

inb4 I go down another 0.5 points
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #677 on: May 17, 2023, 07:32:37 PM »
That's a bit disappointing after the first impression :lol

I'll try to send for the next round in the next 24 hours or so
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #678 on: May 17, 2023, 07:53:27 PM »
That's a bit disappointing after the first impression :lol

That's me the last two rounds.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online HOF

« Reply #679 on: May 17, 2023, 07:54:17 PM »
Not bad once again. Definitely love how he deconstructed that song and the others from that album for acoustic guitar. Worth checking out the original Steve McQueen and the acoustic version just for the masterclass in arrangement.

I’ll send another 7 your way in a little bit here.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #680 on: May 17, 2023, 08:06:23 PM »
fixed buddy's score but yes it was a 7

and man y'all need to realize first impressions are first impressions and i give five whole listens a round, plenty of time for my opinions to change in either direction  :corn

Offline faizoff

« Reply #681 on: May 17, 2023, 09:02:54 PM »
Holy shit I didn't even fathom my track would be the highest scored after getting the lowest in earlier rounds. Glad the song got some love, I love the track too and when I first heard it on a UK show called Crashing many years ago, it's always been my go to track to bring my mood up.

Round 4 will need some thinking.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #682 on: May 18, 2023, 02:33:56 AM »
Wow I'm actually doing well for a change :eek ready to f it up
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #683 on: May 18, 2023, 06:18:07 AM »
Sent something that when I listen to it, other drivers do as well  :metal
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #684 on: May 18, 2023, 12:03:35 PM »
and man y'all need to realize first impressions are first impressions and i give five whole listens a round, plenty of time for my opinions to change in either direction  :corn

Understood  :tup :tup

I've sent something realllly fucking heavy. Maybe I wouldn't be so stoked for it if I wasn't drunk, but I really think it has some potential.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #685 on: May 19, 2023, 01:25:26 AM »
Cool, glad you liked it! I recognise everything in your write-up for sure. I think you might quite like the album, it's pretty varied and while there are aspects of that song that appear elsewhere, none of the other songs really sound the same (e.g. there's not much of the 70s prog vibe).

Mulling over some LOUD options. I've sent you melodic forms of death metal, black metal and metalcore before and I mean I have other stuff I can send from those genres, though nothing is immediately jumping out at me. Might have one or two options of prog metal that aren't as heavy but do incorporate harsh vocals. Hmm.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #686 on: May 19, 2023, 06:29:16 AM »
I understand your concerns about the lyrical content, I agree with you, but also with Nico to some extent. And yeah, I knew you'd hate how long it gets, oh well :lol

Sending something even worse now.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #687 on: May 19, 2023, 07:50:30 AM »
I understand your concerns about the lyrical content, I agree with you, but also with Nico to some extent. And yeah, I knew you'd hate how long it gets, oh well :lol

Sending something even worse now.

If it makes you feel any better, I adore that song and album (and now other Nicolas Jaar albums). Of all the songs I've received in the three roulettes I've done, it would have to be near the top of the list.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: May 19, 2023, 11:28:16 AM »
:hug:

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #689 on: May 19, 2023, 03:19:48 PM »
Sent.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #691 on: May 19, 2023, 03:39:10 PM »

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #692 on: May 20, 2023, 02:49:27 PM »
Dacul, Reaper, Stadler, Tomi, still need your heavies  :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #693 on: May 20, 2023, 02:51:40 PM »
What are we waiting for, people??

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #694 on: May 20, 2023, 03:20:48 PM »
Waiting for you, the roulette police, to harass everyone  ;)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #695 on: May 20, 2023, 03:23:40 PM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #696 on: May 20, 2023, 03:53:38 PM »
Sent!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #697 on: May 20, 2023, 04:05:24 PM »

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #698 on: May 20, 2023, 04:25:24 PM »

Dude, it kinda reads like you’ve bumped Reaper off. RIP

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: May 20, 2023, 05:56:02 PM »
I've been mourning the loss of my grandfather these last few days, so my mind has been elsewhere. I'll send something in a bit.